• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Homebrew Sci-fi RPG Interest Check

Thorudon

Mysterious Singular Skull
Guns, loot, and money galore! 
I've been tinkering with a homebrew RPG system for, ah I dunno, a few months at least. Recently branched over into a Sci-fi aspect, which keeps making me think of Borderlands. With the classic trio of class categories; Tank, Healer and DPS, I've come up with a few quick plotlines to fit them into, and now just need to see if anyone is interested in forming a group.

Here is a quick look at a few of the classes to help give an idea what combat may be like.

-Enforcer
Desc; Veterans of the battlefield, Enforcers typically serve as the attention drawer, coming equipped with a ballistic shield and heavier armor abilities.
Weapon/Item Specialties; Ballistic Shields
Role: Tank
Abilities;
1)Recharge – Instantly raise your shield back to full. 75 Stamina.
2) Taunt – Nasty words get said, and suddenly everyone is shooting at you. 20 Stamina.
3) Deploy Cover – Throw down a handy instastruct wall to shield your allies by 25% for 3 turns. This also draws enemy fire and acts as a taunt. 40 Stamina.
4) Shielded - Raise your ballistic shield for 2 turns, blocking 50% damage. 35 Stamina.

-Field Medic
Desc; If you need a description of this, I have no idea how you became a licensed medic. Regardless, you heal your allies.
Weapon/Item Specialties; Augmentations
Role: Healer
Abilities;
1) Medical Shot – Heal your target for 50% health. 40 Stamina.
2) Booster Shots – Raise the attack speed of you and your allies, skipping one turn of enemy attacks. 50 Stamina.
3) Firebomb – Who says /all/ your chemicals are for healing? Burn an enemy for 200% weapon damage over 4 turns. 20 Stamina.
4) Double-Tap - Take advantage of an injured enemy's wounds for weapon damage, plus an addition percentage based on the target's missing health. (Ex: An enemy with 70/100 health adds 30% to the attack) 30 Stamina.

-Combat Engineer
Desc; A fair fighter, the Combat Engineer's true talent lies in his quick thinking and construction skills. Whether it be an assault drone or protective energy fields, it can be built.
Weapon/Item Specialties; Energy Shields
Role(s): DPS, Support
Abilities;
1) Auto Turret – You quickly deploy an instastruct auto turret to randomly attack targets for the duration of battle. 30 Stamina. 2 Turn Cast-time.
2) Regeneration Canister – You throw down a self-deploy healing station, healing all allies 10% per turn for 3 turns. 40 Stamina.
3) Power Suit – You deploy an instastruct suit of exoskeleton power armor, increasing attack of you, or your target, by 50% for 2 turns. 40 Stamina.
4) Recharge - Plug into a target's shield and instantly zap 50% energy back into it. 45 Stamina.

And, of course, key stats for further understanding.

Health: Your well being as a whole. It reaches zero, and you're dead.

Speed: Determines the order of attack in combat. Highest speed means first in line.

Stamina: Needed to function class abilities. Stamina repleneshes 10 per basic attack, with a max of 100 before boosts applied.

Damage: Tells how effective/strong weapons are, before boosts applied.

Shield: Your health bar before your health bar. Refills automatically after combat, unlike your health.

And finally, the plotlines. As mentioned before, I've come up with a few possible jumping points, but might be considered rather generic. If any interest you, or you have any ideas, by all means let me know!
Bonus points if you can recognize what games I yoinked the ideas from, haha. (#2 is misleading with the temp title; It wasn't Fallout, surprisingly!)

Road to Redemption 
-Darima was never a particularly rich planet, nor civilized as far as most planets go, but quite frankly, ask anyone around here and they all say the same; Life on Darima was easier before the Typhinx Corporation showed up and started mining operations. At least bandits were less organized.
That is why a resistance naming themselves the Dariman Defense has spent the last decade waging war against the military company. For nearly twenty years Typhinx and their space station have been parked above Darima… It's high time for that to change. 

Project: Salvation
- Anticipating the possibility, and eventual reality of nuclear destruction, the US government in (year x) began running an experiment of cryogenically freezing volunteer military personnel to act as guides of the new world.
As a participant of what was dubbed 'Project: Salvation,' you awake in a strange new world covered in ash with only one order; Maintain humanity's survival.

Horizon 33
- As a crewmember of the Hyperion Alliance cruiser 'H33 Horizon,' your vessel served as a reconnaissance crew for the HA, exploring the barriers of uncharted space for signs of life achieving space flight and assess possible threats. During passage of an unmarked planet, the Horizon is shot down and you find yourselves in what seemed to be hostile territory... Contacting the Hyperion Alliance may be your only chance of getting off this world.

Last edited by a moderator:
This looks fun I didn't read all of it. On mobile right now so... Yeh I'll read it later.

Awesome! If you know anyone else whom might be interested, I think a party of 4-6 would be optimal. Six being the number of classes I currently have, though I may pop one or two more out before everything is said and done.
(Loot and NPCs will scale to match the group size/strength.) 

i'm intrested, but i have a few questions

1) is this completely homebrew, sstem and everything? (i'm only asking just in case it's based off  certain systems that i don't know/ have to look up for rules)

2) im assuming it's through posting? (again jsut want to make sure)

3)could i get a possible hint on damaged focued classes? (i ask because in almost every game i get delegated to tank/ healer and i'd really like to be the one burning through things for once -.-)

as for possible lines... might as well go with Borderlands 2 x3  (First option, if you wanted opinions)

i'm intrested, but i have a few questions

1) is this completely homebrew, sstem and everything? (i'm only asking just in case it's based off  certain systems that i don't know/ have to look up for rules)

2) im assuming it's through posting? (again jsut want to make sure)

3)could i get a possible hint on damaged focued classes? (i ask because in almost every game i get delegated to tank/ healer and i'd really like to be the one burning through things for once -.-)

as for possible lines... might as well go with Borderlands 2 x3  (First option, if you wanted opinions)

Sure thing;

1) Roughly I got the numbers and idea of a Speed stat determining order from a flash game called Monster's Den: The Book of Dread, but otherwise, yup. In regards to combat, it should be similar to most turn-based RPGs in which each turn a player can activate one class ability, (which will expand with each level gained, of course.) and the following 'basic' commands;

[Use Basic Attack] - Strikes your enemy for weapon damage. Gain 10 Stamina
[Use *Item*] - uses the named potion, poison, ect. combat item.
[Pass] - Pass your turn. Gain 30 Stamina.
[Flee] - Attempt to flee from the battle. Success affected by speed.

2) Yup, I may make a separate 'Combat log' for organization, but otherwise will function as a standard RP when exploring.

3) Haha, no problem. The shown engineer being a builder class, I have an assassin with stealth capabilities (Take out an NPC before combat, or completely slip past an area) a gun enthusiast with the ability to dual-wield smaller weaponry, and an explosives expert nutjob capable of hurting the party just as much as the enemy.

Some of these classes can be/are best friends if geared properly. For example, a Sapper (explosive) can deal bonus damage if a Gunner is using a lot of explosive-based damage. And with their specialized shielding units, an Enforcer will likely want to butter up any Combat Engineer in the group.

Hope that helps!

Still tinkering with the idea of professions/skills, but thus far I think they may work best as class-specific choices, given at a certain level or time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hammered out the rest of the class & stat details, if anyone wants to tinker around with character creation while I keep working on details. What is here may not necessarily be final, keep in mind.

-Enforcer
Desc; Partially consisting of some of the universe's greatest roasters, Enforcers tend to draw enemy fire and provide cover for allies.
Weapon/Item Specialties; Ballistic Shields
Role: Tank
Abilities;
1) Focus – Sacrifice x amount of health and covert it into your shield unit.
2) Taunt – Nasty words get said, and suddenly everyone is shooting at you. 20 Stamina.
3) Deploy Cover – Throw down a handy instastruct wall to shield your allies by 25% for 3 turns. This also draws enemy fire and acts as a taunt. 40 Stamina.
4) Shielded - Raise your ballistic shield for 2 turns, blocking 50% damage. 35 Stamina.

-Gunner
Desc; The name says it all. Gunners are typically fans of smaller, dual-wieldable weapons, but can prove just as quick and efficient with a standard assault rifle.
Weapon/Item Specialties; Dual-wielding
Role: DPS
Abilities;
1) Bullet Storm – You unload you weapon(s) magazine(s) into your target at an inhuman speed, dealing 2x weapon damage. 30 Stamina.
2) Frag Out – You throw a fragmentation grenade, dealing 1.5x weapon damage to all enemies. 40 Stamina.
3) Bullets for All – Unload your weapon(s) into every present enemy for weapon damage. 30 Stamina.

-Combat Engineer
Desc; A fair fighter, a Combat Engineer's true talent lies in their ability to build and deploy constructs for the party. Luckily without costing six million dollars.
Weapon/Item Specialties; Energy Shields
Role(s): DPS, Support
Abilities;
1) Auto Turret – You quickly deploy an instastruct auto turret to randomly attack targets for the duration of battle. 30 Stamina. 2 Turn Cast-time.
2) Regeneration Canister – You throw down a self-deploy healing station, healing all allies 10% per turn for 3 turns. 40 Stamina.
3) Power Suit – You deploy an instastruct suit of exoskeleton power armor, increasing attack of you, or your target, by 50% for 2 turns. 40 Stamina.
4) Recharge - Plug into a target's shield and instantly zap 50% energy back into it. 45 Stamina.

-Field Medic
Desc; You look after the well-being of the field and general terrain. The title is very literal.
Weapon/Item Specialties; Augmentations
Role: Healer
Abilities;
1) Medical Shot – Heal your target for 50% health. 40 Stamina.
2) Booster Shots – Raise the attack speed of you and your allies, skipping one turn of enemy attacks. 50 Stamina.
3) Firebomb – Who says /all/ your chemicals are for healing? Burn an enemy for 200% weapon damage over 4 turns. 20 Stamina.
4) Double-Tap - Take advantage of an injured enemy's wounds for weapon damage, plus an addition percentage based on the target's missing health. (Ex: An enemy with 70/100 health adds 30% to the attack) 30 Stamina.

-Predator
Desc; Preferring to hunt their targets from afar, most predators are slow to enter combat, but often get the first word.
Weapon/Item Specialties; Sniper Rifles, Stealth Device
Role: DPS
Abilities:
1) Mark for Slaughter – You mark a target for kill, raising the likelihood of any attack landed to be critical. 40 Stamina.
2) Twofer – Quickly taking position, you line up a shot to hit 2 (or more) enemies for weapon damage. 30 Stamina.
3) Slow and Steady – Line up your shot. Exhale. Fire. Deal 3x weapon damage. 30 Stamina.
4) Bloody Shot – Deal a critical hit and bleed your target for weapon damage over two turns. 30 Stamina.

-Sapper
Desc; Sappers are the kind of psychopath who would probably bring a bundle of dynamite out to a fishing trip. They tend to prefer explosions and splash-damage abilities, along with the occasional wicked air guitar solo.
Weapon/Item Specialties; Explosive Ordnance, Grenade Mods
Role: DPS, Support
Abilities:
1) Frag Out – You throw a fragmentation grenade, dealing 2x weapon damage to all enemies while showing any Gunners in the party what's up. 40 Stamina.
2) Entrenchment - You strategically 'dig' out a defensive crater using dynamite, adding 20% protection for 2 turns. 30 Stamina.
3) Smoke Grenade - Hurl a canister of smoke into the field, decreasing enemy attack chance by 35%, and party attack chance by 20% for 2 turns. 40 Stamina.
4) PASSIVE: For Good Measure - Anytime an ally deals explosive damage, you hurl in a frag grenade for good measure.

Stats: (Will probably give 15 or 20 to start.)

Fortitude: Each point increases max health by 10

Dexterity: Increases critical hit chance by 0.5% per point

Ingenuity: Increases critical damage bonus by 5% per point. (+1 talent point/ 5 points added)

Agility: Increases generation of stamina through basic attacks by 1 per point. (Cost: 2. +1 speed/2 points added)

Strength: Increase damage resistance by 1% per point. (+1 bag space/5 points added)

Speed: Determines order of attack. Primarily achieved/given through gear.

Luck: Affects your luck as a whole, primarily regarding loot drops.

Allure: Shop prices, occasional speech checks

Fatigue - Increase max stamina 5 per point. (Cost: 5)

Update; Scrapping this idea for now, clearly don't have the... skill(?) to attempt something like this yet. May come back to it, probably won't.

Last edited:
Oh, I'm actually thinking I might have to come back to this idea at a later time. Got suggested that I try to make it a bit more like tabletop and get rid of the more obvious 'game' mechanics, which ultimately made sense in regards to being able to transition from combat to story more smoothly. (As it was, it'd probably be rather clunky and function more like a text-based game than anything, which I'm not sure would do well here.)

Unfortunately, I am completely unfamiliar with any tabletop RPG, so I'll first have to convince some friends to pick it up with me, haha. Thus, I haven't a clue how long it would actually be before I can take another crack at this idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back