• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

UglyMCwalmartcoat

Friendly neighborhood loser
Conner just got back from his morning hunt when he noticed the negativity around, that and how when he sold some berries the women said “good luck young man.”

He walks into the small broken down place that he called Home, his little brother Milo and his mother River-Bay came to him and saw what he brought “God watch over my boy.” She said looking at him. Milo was only 8, so too young to be in the games, he was small and had ink black hair with light brown eyes. Conner on the other hand had brown hair and dark brown eyes.

District 12 was known for coal, his father was a miner but died from a illness when Conner was young. All he remembered of him was his voice and how he sang the same song to him each night. Conner’s mother was the light of his life, she was beautiful and kind..Milo was just like her.
In the medow

where the night shines
how the wind blows
near the day time

That was the song of his family.

Harley woke up, yawning, and checked the bunk above her, gentle touches. The little braided girl was still asleep. Good. she deserved all the sleep she could get. Dreamless. She’d woken up four times the night before. Her first reaping, who would blame her? Certainly not her older sister. The older of the Daniels girls was just there to hold the younger and promise her that everything would be okay. That was all she had to do, promise. Harley Daniels never broke a promise.

It was the morning of the reaping, and Harley didn’t give two fucks.

That wasn’t to say she didn’t care at all about the reaping. She did. It wasn’t for herself, though. It was never for her. None of this was ever for her. The reason she worried, or did anything was for the still sleeping resider of the top bunk.

Ainslyn.

Ainslyn had always been the reason for Harley. That little girl deserved the world and more besides. She was so small, and kind, and her heart on her sleeve. Everything Harley did was for Ainslyn. Everything. She woke up to make food for her. she built from scraps so Ainslyn had toys. she described people’s voices and sounds in excruciating detail for her. She spent days listening to Ainslyn ranting about how hot and kind and adorably sweet *swoon* Lincoln Conway was just to make her happy. Somehow the kid had gotten it into her head that Harley was Lincoln’s soulmate. Harley didn’t get it, but she smiled along, signing that yes his voice is handsome. You could say it’s kind of smooth, I guess. Like butter? I don’t know, maybe? She pretended not to understand the little lovebug. She did, but that… wasn’t the point.

After breakfast, made by her mother and father (no work allowed reaping day, which meant that they were home and could cook) she went into their room again and pulled on her clothes for the day. Purple shirt, almost formal. Formal enough to pacify the peacekeepers. Harley knew they were already not going to be pleased over Jazz coming in with her. Fuck them went that little part of her brain. But she did have to stay on their good side. She had to keep Ainslyn on their good side. Everything for her.

There was a spot of grease on her face, and another on her shirt. Harley always had oil on her, from her scrap work.

She didn’t bother cleaning it off, looking over in the general direction of Ainslyn on the equally grease-stained couch and winking. They wouldn’t take a grease-girl to the capitol. She signed before taking a little grease and putting it on the small cheek, carefully. It was so soft. Just like all of Ainslyn. There.

Now they won’t take you, eighter, Linny.

Because that was on everyone’s minds today. When Harley was 12, she’d been reaped. The whole district had laughed at the girl who fought off tears of frustration trying to get to the stage, and, well… Ainslyn was 12 this year. The same kids never got reaped twice. But… oh, the daniels family was so prone to bad luck.

“thanks, sis.” She said. Harley could hear the shake in her voice, the tremor in her arms as they hugged, dirtying Ainslyn’s white dress. Eh, it was already greying, it had been Harley’s, and poor quality, at first anyway. Just like all of Ainslyn’s clothes. Jazz barked and wagged her tail. Jazzy didn’t understand what today was.

Anytime. She repeated the gesture a few more times. Anytime. Anytime.

Anything, Every time.

The reaping was busy. They were separating by gender, then the finger prick for blood, then the age. Their mother and father had to go, they weren’t in the reaping. Harley held onto Jazz’s leash with one hand, and Ainslyn’s hand in the other. The little girl’s grip suddenly tightened. She was scared.

Oh, shit. The finger prick.

It’s okay. Harley had to let go of Ainslyn’s hand to sign to her. She could tell the young one didn’t appreciate it, but Harley knew her words would help more. It’s just a little blood. It doesn’t even hurt much, I promise. But Ainslyn was squeamish. Blood was one of her biggest fears. here, I’ll hold your hand, Linny. You’ll be fine. I’ve got you. Everything will be fine. Just look away.

The squeak of fear Ainslyn gave when her finger was pricked made Harley’s blood boil. She stoically went through it, so Ainslyn wouldn’t think it hurt her. It did.

They had to separate. She flashed Ainslyn a bright smile, a carefree one. a wink, a knowing face. see you later. she signed one handed, knowiing she wouldnt be able to hear her sister’s response over the crowd. LYSM. it was a shorthanded slang they’d created, all letters signed at once on one hand and held up. love you so much. she didn’t have to see to know it was being signed back as she stood with the 16 year olds.

Then she was called. Her? It was her? Again?

“walk, jazzy.” She whispered. The Dog led her, good faithful girl that she was, to the stage. It was dead silent, punctuated by little yips at each step. Jazzy seemed to understand the importance of this. They stood proud. And today there was no falling. No snickering. And this year, along with that, there were no volunteers. Harley looked over where she assumed the crowd was when she was steered around. A girl with a bratty voice had once said her eyes already looked dead. Harley knew her gaze, or lack therof, could be unsettling. Today she wanted her district to see a strong, intimidating Girl. Not just blind. Strong. victor strong,

Or at least. She hoped that was what Ainslyn saw. Ainslyn would be scared. but Harley was older. Harley was stronger. Harley had to pretend she wasn’t scared, so Ainslyn didn’t get nervous.

Harley Daniels was going to the capitol. Harley Daniels was going to die. But Harley Daniels knew one thing. She wasn’t going to scare Ainslyn by doing so. Because when it came to Harley Daniels, there was only one motivation. Ainslyn.

Everything for her.

The way his name was called. The way his mother screamed. How little Milo cried knowing his brother is in trouble.

“C’mon up Conner!” The stupid accent rang in his ears

He stepped up slowly watching the young women, only 13, who was also chosen. Oh fuck.

~~~~

He was on the train, looking out. Sure the food was good, but what was the point? Soon he‘d be dead. DEAD.

“C-Conner?” The young girl, Thorano said sitting by him.
”your too young.” He whispers “You have a life set for you.”
She gave a smile “My mother is the baker, I remember she called you the hunter!”
He smiled at the joy in her “Oh yes...” he chuckled and looked at her ”You know...when you make it back there tell her hello.”
She smiled wider at the hope Conner had in her, she got up for more food.

He hummed:
where the night shines
how the wind blows
near the day time

Her parents came in the room first. It had to be the nicest room in district six, she was sure. In the back of the justice building. It didn’t smell like dust or dirt, and when she sat on the bench, it was soft and cushioned. They really did want tributes to be in the upmost comfort, Harley marveled. It was strange. Almost like they were compensating for their deaths by a few days of great comfort and extravagance. “tuck, Jazz.” the dog went below.

Her parents came in first, she could tell by their steps. Her mother hugged her, her father stood like a shadow by the door.

“mom, dad…” she spoke. They could hear, and Ainslyn wasn’t hear. She didn’t need to sign. “you can’t let Linny watch. You cant. You have to take care of it. Take care of her.” Ainslyn had always been Harley’s job. Play with her, watch her,keep her safe and out of harm’s way. She wouldn’t be able to do that now. She was going to die.

“sweetheart…” her mother’s voice was cracking. She was crying. she was always the crier. Her father hadn’t said anything yet. He took his pain quietly.

“no, mom. I need to get this out. Take care of her, you promise? Don’t cry, don’t be too sad. I’m dead. I’m not coming back. Linny’s still here. Keep her happy. You need to make sure you don’t lose the apartment. You promise? You gotta promise.” Her mother wailed, and she turned to the other inhabitant of the room. The silent one. “Dad? Fucking swear.”

She wasn’t calm. She was almost screaming by the end. She had to make sure her sister was taken care of. Linny didn’t diserve neglect. And that’s what most tribute’s siblings got once they were dead. Family wrapped in sorrow, lost jobs, lost meals, lost house. Harley wasn’t going to let that happen.

“I swear.” Were the two words that Harley needed to hear. She sighed, to relieve all the tension. She didn’t realize she’d gotten so riled up, but she needed to know that when she died, at least her sister wouldn’t too.

“good. don’t let her watch when I go.” She was squeamish. Harley wasn’t going to haunt her sister’s nightmeres after death. That sounded like hell. Her mother was crying so loudly, and the peacekeepers ushered her out to calm her down. Harley hoped she could get it together, for Ainslyn.

They hugged, and her mom cried some more. Her dad finally hugged her, handing the cane. “will they let you take it in?”

“fucking better, I can’t fucking see.” She said, with an annoyed smile. Harley hugged him, tight. He smelled like the factory, like Mom. They always did. It was framiliar. He was thin, and bony. But his arms were strong, and framiliar. Harley melted into them, letting herself be vulnerable. Linny had to think she was strong, but Linny wasn’t here. “you wont forget me, will you?”

“never.” He promised, into her hair. She was perfect height to be used as a chinrest for him. “never in a thousand lifetimes.”

“please stay safe.” She said, not allowing herself to cry. She never cried. The tears welled hot in the back of her eyes but she blinked them down. “do you want your jacket back?”

“nah, Harles. Keep it.” There was a kiss on her forehead. He hadn’t warned her, and while she usually hated that, today she let it slide. He would never do it again.

“alright… send her in, then.” They both knew who it was. Ainslyn. Harley had to say goodbye.

“I love you.” He said, as he walked away.

“to the end of the world.” She said, as he closed the door.

And then it opened again, and a high voice called “HUG!” as she ran into her arms. Greatful for the warning, Harley braced herself for the hug. Now Ainslyn was the chinrest. they held tight, memorizing every moment with each other. They both knew it was the end. That was why Harley picked up Ainslyn and sat down with the younger on the older’s lap. She wanted to say goodbye. And signing was the only way.

I love you so much, baby. You know that.

I know.” She assured.

I know you know. I just… she reached forward to touch the girl’s cheek. Soft. Always so soft. She was small. So small. Don’t you go crying yourself to sleep. I’ll be okay. You got that?

“got it.”

Good. I promise I’ll be okay. I love you so much. She signed it all out. Not the LYSM she was used to. You need to promise me you’ll keep eating, and learning math, and everything. Keep drawing and playing. Keep watching that one bad comedy over and over, like we used to. Grab mom. Just… stay happy. You’ve got a big life ahead of you. Just because I’m gone doesn’t mea-

“gone? You’re not dying. You’re coming home. You’re gonna be a big victor in a fancy house and I’ll live there with you.” Harley sighed. Sometimes when Ainslyn tried to look on the bright side of EVERYTHING it was tiresome.

Okay. She said. Let her try to not be sad. But don’t watch. I’ll kill people to get home. You don’t wanna see that. Got it?

“got it.”

Good. I love you. You never forget that. She didn’t want to be a forgotten childhood for her sister. She didn’t want to be the imaginary friend that was outgrown. But she didn’t want to be a nightmere eighter.

“never.” She said, fervently. Seriousness had never suited Ainslyn. Harley cracked a smile, just for her. It was hard. But if Harley didn’t appear scared, Ainslyn would be happy. “promise me something?” Ainslyn asked it quietly.

Anything.

“when you go to the capitol… and when you win… when you come home you never go that far away from me again.”

Easy. Promise. Hey, maybe I’ll meet Lincoln Conway. She tickled, changing the subject. Well, Ainslyn was swayed, immediately gasping. She hadn’t thought of that.

“oh, you’ve got to get that grease off your Face! He’ll never wanna marry you if you look like this!” Harley let her go off, wiping harley’s face and cleaning her up. It would be the last time they’d talk, Harley wasn’t going to waste it.

Then the peacekeepers came. It was time to go.

“cmon jazzy.” She said, while signing a goodbye to her sister. LYSM. The dog stood, and she held the leash, ready to be led away to the capitol. “ready.”

“the dog stays.” Was all the peacekeepers said.

“sorry, what? she’s registered. We got her from the capitol…”

“no. the dog stays. Once you’re dead, you won’t need it. We can’t store it in the capitol.”

“what’s going on?” Ainslyn looked between them, unable to lip read the peacekeepers due to their helmets.

Nothing, close your eyes. Once the obedient girl listened, Harley exploded. “FUCK YOU! I CAN’T SEE! I NEED JAZZ!” she tried to push past with the dog as she spoke, but she was simply picked up like a rag doll and sat down. The leash was pulled out of her hand, and she (still kicking and screaming) was carried off.

she hoped that Jazz would be okay. She hoped that Ainslyn would take care of her. She hoped the peacekeeper would be nice to those good girls.

“you’ll get an avox in the capitol. You’ll be fine.” Yeah, and then she’d die in the arena. They both knew it. At least the peacekeeper was good enough to allow her to walk on her own, although he gripped her arm incorrectly to guide. She glared, looking fiercely at the press. She could hear the cameras, and though she wasn’t directly looking at any, she could imagine what she looked like. Angry. Murderous.

Good.

He got off the train and snickered at how pathetic this side of the wold is. They have no worries. He held the little girls hand as they went, photos being taken. Fuck them all.

The little one waved and smiled with her free hand giggling. Maybe he was angry, He’d never admit it though. He’s not weak. This whole thing was just a game. Just a game for the capita. They didnt care for the families and districts. He honestly hoped for an up rising. Hell he’d lady lead.

”Conner...why are they happy for our deaths?” She said
”Well...its like a sport to them...” he sighed
”But sports are fun!”
”Not if your starving to death.” He growls “But they are always full...always wanting more.”
”Oh..” she says looking down

Harley was... having issues. she wanted Jazzy. the dog made crowds so much easier to navigate. while she had her stick, it wasn't too useful with animate objects that tended to, you know. move. like people. she could usually judge by voice, but people in the capitol were a whole lot thicker than people at home. as such, she was being basically pushed around like a pinball through the crowd, trying to maintain her dignity. she stood tall, and glared at anyone who pushed into her. she was not here to make friends. she was here to be feirce and get home to her little sister.

and then... that voice. the child's voice, a dissapointed little oh, and Harley lost her focus. that was a kid in distress, a similar age to her sister, and she wouldn't stand for it. she pinballed her way over to the kid, talking directly to whoever was around her. she had all the stance of a wolf, looking strong, feirce, and protective of the small form. "what did you say to her?" she demanded, looking at where she assumed connor's head was.

The little girl hugged Conner “he is a friend” she said and nodded up at him. Her blue eyes like the sea.

Conner looked at The person before him. “She likes being called Thorna.” He says.

Everyone around was watching and Aweing at the three of them, he was getting annoyed but stayed strong and let them watch. “We are from district 12.”

"six." she responded, listening to the little kid. she still didn't quite like Conner, yet. but she was okay with him if the sweet voiced girl was. she got even with the girl, even though her eyes didn't see her, and smiled. "I'm Harley, Thorna. are you prickly if I touch you?" she asked, in reference to her thorn-based name. "what's the best color in the world?" she saw more than a little of her sister in the kid, and she was curious to see if they had more similarities than she'd originally thought.

Thorna giggled “No you can touch me, I like Orange!” She smiled. Conner watched as they spoke, he wasnt confused..just nervous. He just nodded at the people taking the photos trying to distract himself

Harley, on the other hand, wasn't even focusing on the people who were taking photos. she cared about them, of course, on a minimal level. but it was easily clear she didn't give a frick about anyone else here other than Thorna. she was only keeping a bit of attention on them to ensure they didn't hurt the kid. she reached out to touch thorna, ticking her gently as soon as she found the areas that were typically sensitive. "No thorns here, thorna!" she asserted, smiling at her playfully. "do you see any people with orange hair?" she prompted, looking out at the crowd of capitolites.

Thorna looked around after giggling “tons! It’s weird..” she looked around more “whats with the coloers on their faces?”

"well, some people like to express themselves in different ways than us." she said, turning back to her. "we've all watched the games for years, you know how they look on TV." she knew that even in the poorest districts it was projected on the sides of buildings, mandatory viewing. and why wouldn't it be? the whole point was to remind the poorer districts that they were to remain in line or else. "would you make your hair orange, little thorn?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back