Advice/Help Hey, I need some help (AGAIN)

Panzer

Suffering
...On some matters that are quite simple, but I have yet reached an answer I am confident in.

I have two inquiries- both regarding just general rpn opinion. Lemme skip to the points before I blabber on and on about the topics at hand:
1- what is the overall opinion on reusing interest check codes (from the original interest check) for an overhauled reboot? Is it seen as lazy or shameless bumping? What do you think of it personally if you have seen it on the forums?

2- What category would an Rp be placed in under these conditions?
-Rp forum and CS's take place entirely on RPN, however, the RP has an OOC discord which is required for discussion and group fun activity things.

I'm really curious to see what Y'all have to say on the matter...

While I'm here, I might as well clear up other thingies:
1- is there a certain code that can make the IC coding adaptable for both widescreen and mobile viewing? Changing size and text to fit?

2- Is there a certain way to make text appear opaque while the div box in the background is transparent?

And a little extra "treat" (mostly punishment) for those who have read this far and would instead like to critique things more: I would like some opinions on how one should present and run a concept such as this: an rp that tries to capture the feel of Cartoons and webcomics like Z-toons and Gravity falls in a setting that mostly encourages character interaction and antics. So far, I've been trying my luck to strike the right amount of mixture, but I have had limited success. This is my first time Gming and my first time experimenting with these things...

Alright party peeps, thanks for reading through this friggin college essay, let me hear whatcha gotta say!

For the first question, if you're reusing your own codes, I don't see a problem with that. It's unlikely people will remember where you used them before anyway unless it's something very specific.

-Rp forum and CS's take place entirely on RPN, however, the RP has an OOC discord which is required for discussion and group fun activity things.

Since RP itself and CS will take place entirely on RPN you can place interest check in one of the group forums that's fitting. If it's cartoon fandoms then Fandom. If it's just inspired by cartoons but not uses actual characters then Fantasy.
Since you only will have OOC chat in discord it doesn't require you to post in Off-site interest check, as main RP is on RPN.

Can't answer the questions about codes because I don't use them, so wait for better people to answer that ^^
But it's great you want to consider mobile users! It's a pet peeve of mine when people go all out on codes and then the posts are unreadable on mobile...

As for your last question, maybe try to make an adventure where you as GM direct the characters to do some 'quest'? You will have control over the theme of rp that way.

As for your last question, maybe try to make an adventure where you as GM direct the characters to do some 'quest'? You will have control over the theme of rp that way.

Mhm, I had an idea where I could try to subtly lead the cast into the story- while giving them the freedom to establish their own relationships and scenarios... Like a slice of life but with a plot!

Anyways, I'll certainly keep this stuff in mind when I'm setting it up! Thanks for stoppin' by and answering!

I have codes that will help.

So basically the best way to get mobile friendly screens is to put your things in columns. These will shrink with the screen and on mobile will stack different columns.

For the opaque do you mean something like - Multiple Settings - Searching For Harry Potter AU, Magical Creatures, Fantasy Plots

You can make it more opaque but that general idea. And that is also an example of columned codes.

If the opaque is what your looking for I can send you the codes I used.

1- what is the overall opinion on reusing interest check codes (from the original interest check) for an overhauled reboot? Is it seen as lazy or shameless bumping? What do you think of it personally if you have seen it on the forums?
Absolutely nothing wrong with it. Seems perfectly valid to bring back the same experience if you want to reboot it.

The one it would be regardless of discord being a thing. You only need the offsite section when the RP itself takes place outside of RPN.

1- is there a certain code that can make the IC coding adaptable for both widescreen and mobile viewing? Changing size and text to fit?
Yes. Basic BBCode tends to be very compatible with mobile. percentage-based code, rather than numerically-based also seems to work better with mobile and PC alike.

2- Is there a certain way to make text appear opaque while the div box in the background is transparent?
Yes. You color the background with an rgba code that has 0.75 on the last value. I did it for this post as a demonstration, though it isn't too clear because I didn't use an image on the background, but I can link you to posts where I did if you'd like. Oh and for extra effect you can bold the text!

Code:
[bg=darkblue]
[bg=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.75)][QUOTE="Panzer, post: 9271849, member: 36716"]1- what is the overall opinion on reusing interest check codes (from the original interest check) for an overhauled reboot? Is it seen as lazy or shameless bumping? What do you think of it personally if you have seen it on the forums?[/QUOTE]
Absolutely nothing wrong with it. Seems perfectly valid to bring back the same experience if you want to reboot it.

[QUOTE="Panzer, post: 9271849, member: 36716"]2- What category would an Rp be placed in under these conditions?
-Rp forum and CS's take place entirely on RPN, however, the RP has an OOC discord which is required for discussion and group fun activity things.[/QUOTE]
The one it would be regardless of discord being  a thing. You only need the offsite section when the RP itself takes place outside of RPN.

[QUOTE="Panzer, post: 9271849, member: 36716"]1- is there a certain code that can make the IC coding adaptable for both widescreen and mobile viewing? Changing size and text to fit?[/QUOTE]
Yes. Basic BBCode tends to be very compatible with mobile. percentage-based code, rather than numerically-based also seems to work better with mobile and PC alike.

[QUOTE="Panzer, post: 9271849, member: 36716"]2- Is there a certain way to make text appear opaque while the div box in the background is transparent?[/QUOTE]
Yes. You color the background with an rgba code that has 0.75 on the last value. I did it for this post as a demonstration, though it isn't too clear because I didn't use an image on the background, but I can link you to posts where I did if you'd like. Oh and for extra effect you can [b]bold the text![/b][/bg]
[/bg]

And a little extra "treat" (mostly punishment) for those who have read this far and would instead like to critique things more: I would like some opinions on how one should present and run a concept such as this: an rp that tries to capture the feel of Cartoons and webcomics like Z-toons and Gravity falls in a setting that mostly encourages character interaction and antics. So far, I've been trying my luck to strike the right amount of mixture, but I have had limited success. This is my first time Gming and my first time experimenting with these things...
Well, capturing the feel of something has a crucial step 1. What IS the feel of comics and z-toons? Where do you find that feel when you watch them? What moments most make you feel like that?

If you say "all of it" or "there isnt' a specific moment", then you probably should give up now. Because that means that the only way to do it is to actually have a cartoon or z-toon. If, on the other hand, there ARE specific moments, then those are the kinds of things you should seek to reproduce.

For instance, I like to give a lot of my RPs an anime sort of vibe (not all , but some definitely). To do that, I tend to construct some plots and ideas around an "anime logic". I also tend to draw a lot of tropes and narrative elements typical from anime, bring in absurd elements found in anime and so on... this of course, if the other people working with me are also into it and are in for that as well.

The one it would be regardless of discord being a thing. You only need the offsite section when the RP itself takes place outside of RPN.

Yes. You color the background with an rgba code that has 0.75 on the last value. I did it for this post as a demonstration, though it isn't too clear because I didn't use an image on the background, but I can link you to posts where I did if you'd like. Oh and for extra effect you can bold the text!

Code:
[bg=darkblue]
[bg=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.75)][QUOTE="Panzer, post: 9271849, member: 36716"]1- what is the overall opinion on reusing interest check codes (from the original interest check) for an overhauled reboot? Is it seen as lazy or shameless bumping? What do you think of it personally if you have seen it on the forums?[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE="Panzer, post: 9271849, member: 36716"]2- What category would an Rp be placed in under these conditions?
-Rp forum and CS's take place entirely on RPN, however, the RP has an OOC discord which is required for discussion and group fun activity things.[/QUOTE]
The one it would be regardless of discord being  a thing. You only need the offsite section when the RP itself takes place outside of RPN.

[QUOTE="Panzer, post: 9271849, member: 36716"]1- is there a certain code that can make the IC coding adaptable for both widescreen and mobile viewing? Changing size and text to fit?[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE="Panzer, post: 9271849, member: 36716"]2- Is there a certain way to make text appear opaque while the div box in the background is transparent?[/QUOTE]
Yes. You color the background with an rgba code that has 0.75 on the last value. I did it for this post as a demonstration, though it isn't too clear because I didn't use an image on the background, but I can link you to posts where I did if you'd like. Oh and for extra effect you can [b]bold the text![/b][/bg]
[/bg]
fOaBwWT.png
— for this , do keep in mind that if you do have a background color, the different themes, depending on your selection ( light or dark ) will affect user’s ability to read ( which i think most coders forget ) text.

for example: i am on light theme and the background of this code is “dark blue” , however, because the text has a default color in both light ( text default is black ) and dark ( text default is white ) themes, if you don’t manually code / write in “color: white” the text itself will become unreadable to the different theme users.

the same can happen if say a light theme user were to use make their code background color “white” — this won’t do much to light theme users because the text is automatically black, but for dark theme users, it’s literally transparent. so, manually writing in the color text to “black” would be necessary.

roleplay questions;

Question 1. What is the overall opinion on reusing interest check codes (from the original interest check) for an overhauled reboot? Is it seen as lazy or shameless bumping? What do you think of it personally if you have seen it on the forums?
— in my opinion, i see nothing wrong with re-using a code for an interest check. as long as the interest check is organized and updated for the specific roleplay currently then everything is fine and dandy!

2- What category would an Rp be placed in under these conditions? ( RP forum and CS's take place entirely on RPN, however, the RP has an OOC discord which is required for discussion and group fun activity things)
— As Onmyoji has stated, since everything is on RPN ( character sheets and main in character thread ) your roleplay can most likely go in fandom or even fantasy depending if you’re using canon characters and remaking them yourself or your players ( fandom section ) or completely having an all original cast with ideas from the the fandom ( fantasy section ).

But, as a note, I did read somewhere that if you do have your OOC on discord, do not link the discord link to your interest check ( you can state that OOC will be on discord ), instead, it is preferred for you to personally PM the interested players those discord links to avoid any confusion if the RP is on RPN or discord!

3. I would like some opinions on how one should present and run a concept such as this: an rp that tries to capture the feel of Cartoons and webcomics like Z-toons and Gravity falls in a setting that mostly encourages character interaction and antics. So far, I've been trying my luck to strike the right
— So, in my opinion, I’m going to use a disney roleplay that I’m in and have co-gmed before that allowed Pixar and etc. into the setting. I would choose a specific place in the roleplay in terms of ( will this be a modern universe where the characters are living their daily lives in our world? or will this be in the world of the cartoons? ) If it isn’t in the modern world and in the universe of said cartoon; I would pick a specific place that means the most and narrow it down to one setting they can all be “sandwiched” together.

( i’m so sorry if this doesn’t necessarily answer your question or i may have been confused )

code questions;
Question 1: Is there a certain code that can make the IC coding adaptable for both widescreen and mobile viewing? Changing size and text to fit?
— As middle has mentioned, the usage of regular bbcodes such as columns, tabs, and accordions do help.

Also, for divs, if you set a specific width or height, it would cause the code itself to not be mobile friendly. However, what I normally try to do with my codes ( if it’s not super complex where I mess with margin-tops and etc.) is write “max-width: 750px” without any specific heights. The max width allows your code only to expand that certain pixel and works for me to make my codes mobile friendly and universal if i wanted. ( for example, in my coding request, someone wanted a mobile friendly IC — i was able to make the code universal and super mobile friendly by using “max-width” code link here, hidden scrolls)

2: Is there a certain way to make text appear opaque while the div box in the background is transparent?

— Yes, as Idea had shown you, there is a way for a div code to do this.

Code:
[div=background: url(imagelinkhere) no-repeat; background-size: cover; padding: 10px; margin: auto;][div=background-color: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.7); padding: 5px;][color=white]text here[/color][/div][/div]
you’ll have to find the “rgb” color decimal code while “a” is the transparency of color and so together it’s “rgba”.

Last edited:
— for this , do keep in mind that if you do have a background color, the different themes, depending on your selection ( light or dark ) will affect user’s ability to read ( which i think most code users forget ) text.

for example: i am on light theme and the background of this code is “dark blue” , however, because the text has a default color in both light ( text default is black ) and dark ( text default is white ) themes, if you don’t manually code / write in “color: white” the text itself will become unreadable to the different theme users.

this same can happen if say a light theme users were to use make their code background color “white” — this won’t do much to light theme users because the text is automatically black, but for dark theme users, it’s literally transparent. so, manually writing in the color text to “black” would be necessary.
Ah yes, of course. Missed that in my original post, thanks for reminding!

Well goodness, this certainly got a discussion going! Sorry for the lack of responses, I had finally awakened from my slumber. Give me one moment to respond to everyone here!

Well, capturing the feel of something has a crucial step 1. What IS the feel of comics and z-toons? Where do you find that feel when you watch them? What moments most make you feel like that?

If you say "all of it" or "there isnt' a specific moment", then you probably should give up now. Because that means that the only way to do it is to actually have a cartoon or z-toon. If, on the other hand, there ARE specific moments, then those are the kinds of things you should seek to reproduce.

For instance, I like to give a lot of my RPs an anime sort of vibe (not all , but some definitely). To do that, I tend to construct some plots and ideas around an "anime logic". I also tend to draw a lot of tropes and narrative elements typical from anime, bring in absurd elements found in anime and so on... this of course, if the other people working with me are also into it and are in for that as well.

Mhm, Definitely. There are a lot of things those two things (GF and Z-T) accomplish, I wanted to strive for a good few of those feelings that I could try to produce here in text:
Paranormal Mystery, Comedy, and Casual-feeling without being an extreme of either side. Well, if we are talking about the specifics that Z-Toons contributes (at least 60-70% of the "inspiration") Which includes its feel and tone: A collaboration of both Absurdist Comedy in both Normal and Paranormal settings and scenarios that play off of the intricacies of the casts' lives. I try to make this seem more like an open cast- allowing the group to assemble the neighborhood of characters with every-day misadventures in-mind. I also try to bring in its kind of edgy feel- while not prevalent or even really on-the-nose, there are a tiny bit of those creepy vibes and things presented in a bit of dark humor- (Things like insanity being played in its usual "Cartoony" ways) but overall, its a little tale of misadventures and casual comedy rolled into a small absurd -but grounded- setting. I also specified that it should follow weirdos or otherwise quirky characters- just to sprinkle in a lighter weirder tone.
This, coupled with the structured progression of Gravity falls (the subtle tone of slow encroaching devastation and mystery) within said humor, produces a hard-to-manage, but, hopefully, an amazing little RP that lasts. I mean, it should! I've found a couple of best friends who have stuck around since day 1 and helped me along this journey! But overall, that's the answer I must give: Absurdist humor, (I wouldn't use Edgy humor since that implies a different more-offensive animal, but an edgy feel), Mystery and the encroaching doom, weirdos, and life misadventures, all rolled into a casual little piece of work ready to go! this is what I can decipher of my inner warped mind anyway, so hopefully, I'm not misinterpreting stuff...

But this little blurb does excite me more about the idea that I've undertaken!

Mhm, Definitely. There are a lot of things those two things (GF and Z-T) accomplish, I wanted to strive for a good few of those feelings that I could try to produce here in text:
Paranormal Mystery, Comedy, and Casual-feeling without being an extreme of either side. Well, if we are talking about the specifics that Z-Toons contributes (at least 60-70% of the "inspiration") Which includes its feel and tone: A collaboration of both Absurdist Comedy in both Normal and Paranormal settings and scenarios that play off of the intricacies of the casts' lives. I try to make this seem more like an open cast- allowing the group to assemble the neighborhood of characters with every-day misadventures in-mind. I also try to bring in its kind of edgy feel- while not prevalent or even really on-the-nose, there are a tiny bit of those creepy vibes and things presented in a bit of dark humor- (Things like insanity being played in its usual "Cartoony" ways) but overall, its a little tale of misadventures and casual comedy rolled into a small absurd -but grounded- setting. I also specified that it should follow weirdos or otherwise quirky characters- just to sprinkle in a lighter weirder tone.
This, coupled with the structured progression of Gravity falls (the subtle tone of slow encroaching devastation and mystery) within said humor, produces a hard-to-manage, but, hopefully, an amazing little RP that lasts. I mean, it should! I've found a couple of best friends who have stuck around since day 1 and helped me along this journey! But overall, that's the answer I must give: Absurdist humor, (I wouldn't use Edgy humor since that implies a different more-offensive animal, but an edgy feel), Mystery and the encroaching doom, weirdos, and life misadventures, all rolled into a casual little piece of work ready to go! this is what I can decipher of my inner warped mind anyway, so hopefully, I'm not misinterpreting stuff...

But this little blurb does excite me more about the idea that I've undertaken!
It seems to me like what you want isn't a cartoony vibe, but a dark absurdist comedy. Maybe aiming for that, instead of a cartoony-feel, would yield better results for what you're looking for?

It seems to me like what you want isn't a cartoony vibe, but a dark absurdist comedy. Maybe aiming for that, instead of a cartoony-feel, would yield better results for what you're looking for?
Hmmmm, I guess the cartoony stuff mostly comes from how I want to pace the RP, since I'd rather avoid a melodramatic "Realistic TV Drama" feel.
I do believe I am missing something important...

Perhaps the -Grounded- thingy, since that must've been used incorrectly...
I guess I meant a connection to an idea of everyday life and struggles in a modern-life setting but basically turned into a place where more freedom reigns in the design- I warped a little town into a certainly non-grounded bit. It's not a great sign that I am confusing myself when I am the one with the idea in mind. :closed eyes open smile:

Hmmmm, I guess the cartoony stuff mostly comes from how I want to pace the RP, since I'd rather avoid a melodramatic "Realistic TV Drama" feel.
I do believe I am missing something important...
Well, the thing is you don't need the TV drama feel in an absurdist comedy, even if it's dark. But I feel like your aim for the cartoony may be distracting you from your actual aim. Still, I can only go by what you told me of course.

I guess I meant a connection to an idea of everyday life and struggles in a modern-life setting but basically turned into a place where more freedom reigns in the design- I warped a little town into a certainly non-grounded bit. It's not a great sign that I am confusing myself when I am the one with the idea in mind.
Well, yeah. Any kind of comedy can have characters like that, really. It's just a matter of making sure it's clear to everyone that that is a possibility.

Well, the thing is you don't need the TV drama feel in an absurdist comedy, even if it's dark. But I feel like your aim for the cartoony may be distracting you from your actual aim. Still, I can only go by what you told me of course.
Yeah, Hm...
Well, it must be the energy- but that might be a bit difficult to transition into writing... It indeed is- I'm trying to take a singular visual media that is coordinated by 1 or more people in a business to present to an audience- and I'm trying to awkwardly shove it into an RP site... this isn't really my brightest move- but the satisfaction and the sheer idea that one day it might just work pushed me onwards! anyways, the energy! it must be that!
The comedy and the absurdity must be accompanied by the freedom and hyperbole energy of cartoons! While I was told many-a-time to never give the RP'er too much power. I wonder how opening up this side would be, since I haven't experienced that certain freedom in an RP to my recollection...

Yeah, Hm...
Well, it must be the energy- but that might be a bit difficult to transition into writing... It indeed is- I'm trying to take a singular visual media that is coordinated by 1 or more people in a business to present to an audience- and I'm trying to awkwardly shove it into an RP site... this isn't really my brightest move- but the satisfaction and the sheer idea that one day it might just work pushed me onwards! anyways, the energy! it must be that!
The comedy and the absurdity must be accompanied by the freedom and hyperbole energy of cartoons! While I was told many-a-time to never give the RP'er too much power. I wonder how opening up this side would be, since I haven't experienced that certain freedom in an RP to my recollection...
Mhhhm, that does sound more like it. If it's the energy and hyperbole of cartoons, then I can see why you'd want a cartooney appeal. Unfortunately, I can't think of anything to recommend in specific in that case- just that you seriously look at that direction and try to bring it to your roleplay.

Best of luck :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back