• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Multiple Settings Here I am, back again (Fantasy/Weird japanese media niches)

That Lass Over There

Constant Panic
At this point I've done so many of these that I'm a bit bored of reintroducing myself every time... Let's spice it up a little~!
はじめまして、ラッスです。えっとー、日本語を勉強ます。はい、できました。
My japanese isn't very good, but I'm working on it. Kanji can be difficult to remember lol.

Um, I'm legally an adult if that concerns you, and been that way for a while now too. I don't know why it would, I've never understood the entire 'not comfortable playing with a minor' thing, but whatever makes people happy I guess. I'm a f/f blight on the m/m and m/f dominated internet, and that's not changing any time soon - I'm sorry if you came here hoping I could play a male for you or have one of my girls romance your dude, but I just can't do it :( don't ask me to, please. I'd prefer it if your character is female even if the relationship between our characters is platonic, but as long as it's platonic I should be able to work with a male character.

I've grown a lot more mellow over the years, which probably reflects in the effort, energy, and/or professionalism (or lack thereof) in this post lol, but that means that I'm kinda fine with most things as long as things keep moving. That being said, as has always been the case with me, I'm not very ghost friendly in that my mind is convinced that if someone stops posting it means they've met a most horrid fate and I'll worry myself sick until I see some sign that they're alive. Unless you want to be on a permanent if inconsistent mailing list of cat pictures and concern, I don't recommend leaving me without a word. (note: the newsletter service only activates after 2 pages into the rp and beyond. too many to keep on the cat picture train otherwise)

Yeah idk if you want to know other stuff about me we can talk as we go, I'm not exactly shy or anything like that~ I'm just not sure what to say after all these times. With that, straight into the business I suppose?

---

Starting off with the nichest of niche and possibly my most craved thing: ever heard of "I Favor the Villainess"? if not, read spoiler, if yes, you know what sorta story I'm craving to do. Of course, feel free to skip on to the next thing if you don't think this is for you, I have lots of things I'd like to do!
Yeah, you saw how much that scrollbar shrunk. I'm not a filthy casual. Tl;dr at the top for your convenience

Tl;dr - Otome games are typically dating sims aimed at females, often with many male capture targets, alternate routes for each, and a 'villainess' or love rival character who often obstructs the protagonist's attempts to romance the capture targets. The villainess, oddly enough, can often be a bit likeable, or at least that's the basis for this odd little subgenre. Falling into very loved character archetypes like tsundere, shameless schemers, or an oddly honest villain who wears their heart on their sleeve to name a few examples, these villainesses can be very endearing. tl;dr over

Otome games have multiple hallmarks - at least one ending for each capture target, maybe some bad endings, and most importantly, a single character called a 'villainess' (often the protagonist's love rival) that gets in the way of the protagonist attempting to romance the capture targets. The villainess might bully the protagonist, prank her, spread nasty rumors, set up ploys and schemes or otherwise put the protagonist in a situation to attempt to stop her. Through a combination of the length some of these games attain and the necessity for conflict, the villainess typically springs up quite a lot, and as vengeance many endings that are good for the protagonist end with the villainess losing social status, credibility, or her life depending on the setting and tone of the game. On the flip side, because she springs up so much she interacts a decent bit with the protagonist, and exposure can breed affection. The villainess ends up getting a lot of accidental characterization by what she will and won't do, how she talks, and how she treats each character.

Warning: I'm assuming you either know what isekai is or you have access to a search engine :P
This sort of subgenre sprouted from the idea of someone who played the otome game and loved the villainess more than any of the capture targets being isekai'd into an otome game as the protagonist, following up on several other ideas that had started capitalizing on this rather odd genre of games. The isekai'd protagonist attempts to get close to the villainess, with or without romantic intentions, likely with an end goal of avoiding a bad end for either of them but occasionally prioritizing the saftey of the villainess above their own. There is a bit of an inverse trope where the isekai'd individual is the villainess, and either the protagonist is oddly enthusiastic about pursuing her love rival or the protagonist is another isekai'd individual who is chasing after the villainess.

The novel that seems to have popularized this yuri setup and several spinoffs, I Favor the Villainess, takes the approach of an isekai'd individual who fell in genuine love with the character of the villainess even back when it was just a game, and the protagonist continues to both pine for the villainess's attention as well as attempt to solve as many issues as she can, aiming for an ending where her favorite character won't die no matter the price she and others have to pay. It also (from what I understand, there may be another perpetrator) seems to have popularized another aspect of these otome game stories, which is the "so this was an otome game but like the developers wrote all this lore/this huge plot/shoved an entirely separate game in". I dunno how to really explain it better than that without going through examples one by one, but basically the idea is that the games these sorts of setups take place in are rarely just run of the mill otome games, with perhaps too much love and care poured into at least one atypical aspect of the story, the game, or its world.

There are also editions of this setup where no isekai is involved and the relationship between the villainess and the protagonist happens naturally between the two characters, though for this to happen the villainess often doesn't end up doing villainess things to the protagonist for one reason or another, which interestingly brings it right around to a normal yuri story but with one of the characters being very dedicated in one sense or another. Other such spins that are almost going into their own subgenre/subtrope territory include having the isekai'd individual be brought in as a character that was originally canon fodder, having the villainess through isekai or some reincarnation shenanigans realize she's headed to doom and start sucking up to the protagonist who takes it as a romantic advance, and honestly I'm just gonna cut it here because I doubt people are gonna read this lol.
Now if only I could write an essay that well for college.
With the explanation hidden in a spoiler so that it doesn't hog the entirety of your screen, essentially I'm interested in a romance plot set in an otome game; preferably involving the villainess as one of the main characters because I am a sucker for those sorts of characters. Fantasy is also nice. Really just open to discussion on this one, there's too much that I'd like to do that it's impossible to nail down, just that I'd really like to make a good drama story with you... then again I guess that's most rps isn't it.

---

Yes. I like isekai. If you don't, keep scrolling, I promise there'll be some opportunities for you down there!

Ahhhhhh. Demon King x Hero stories. Need I say more? The hero, betrayed by the humans they sought to save in spite of the strain they were taking on and how far out of their element they were, is forced to turn to their arch nemesis for asylum. The demon king, defeated and broken, waiting for the hero to slay them, is offered an accord of peace as the hero doesn't want to kill them - for practical or emotional reasons, who could know. The two forces, having clashed wildly over years, started developing respect for each other, and as they start seeing one another outside battles talks of peace are moved forward for the first time on both sides. The two great figures of their respective forces are forced to work together as a third force swooped in on their conflicting factions like a vulture, shaking the foundations of both sides and forcing them to rely on each other for at least the time being-

There's something charming about two larger-than-life characters, ridiculously powerful, influential, and/or cunning even for their high fantasy world, changing their relations from hated enemies into something more sweet step by step, even if the world around them screams no with opposition. Every time a hero decides to serve a demon lord for one reason or another, I squee a little. Okay, I squee a lot. Another one where I'm okay with a lot of things, so we'll just have to discuss and see what you'd like to do most :D

---

Not an isekai?
Ah, but it is a fandom. Sorta.

So lots of anime watchers are familiar with No Game No Life, a story that pits two super genius kids against a magical world with games as their instrument of warfare to proclaim with no doubt that humanity is the greatest, that we can do so much when we put our minds and hearts into something. A heartwarming story, really. What most people aren't familiar with is Clockwork Planet, a series written (co-written?) by the same author. Believe it or not, it actually works better if you're not familiar with Clockwork Planet! For the most part, I'm simply finding myself curious how two dolts on an rp site would end up writing in their own style with their own characters the same - or an entirely different - story from one of my favorite series I've read.

To let you know what you would be getting into, here's a few snippets from the first few pages of the first novel:
'I know this is sudden, but--
The world already collapsed, long ago.'

'However, reality was not as dramatic as fiction.
No giant meteor came and shattered Earth.
No aliens came from the ends of the Milky Way to conquer it, either. All diseases, no matter how obstinate or peculiar, could only accept their eventual defeat when faced with human medicine.
And finally, humanity wasn't foolish enough to destroy itself with nuclear weapons.
The actual "End of the World" did not require fantasy, catharsis, or romance. There was absolutely no space for such things to exist in this reality; and reality, though mundane, remained indisputable.
In conclusion,
One day, the Earth suddenly died.

Thus it was announced, without a single anomaly, deviation, or foreshadowing. The scientists had simply concluded that such was the Earth's lifespan. It was once estimated that the Earth had five billion years left. As it turned out, their calculations were a little off -- by just five billion years. Can you believe it?'

The time left was too short for humanity to take counter-measures, and too long to maintain a sense of urgency. The depletion of Earth's resources and energy forbade humanity from even having one last war.

... However, thirty years after the Earth had died...
The stage of history, which had become hopelessly dull, made room for a certain man.
He was not a scientist. Nor was he a politician, nor a prophet. Naturally, he wasn't a magician who conjured up a convenient miracle, either.
... the words that came out of his mouth were so absurd that they managed to shock humanity, long resigned to its fate.
"I've created a blueprint outlining how to carry on all of this planet's functions with only gears."
He declared to the world: "Just watch. I'll recreate everything in the world, with gears alone."
On that day, for the first time, reality really did become stranger than fiction.

The series fascinates me on all facets, from the boldness with which it spits in the face of science, the cynical setting of a resuscitated world and how humanity is letting this second chance slip on petty pride and conflicts, and how in spite of this it possibly holds one of the most positive view on humanity out of most fiction I've read.

Note that this is a super random thing I just whimsically put out while thinking 'wow, this might be cool to get a clockwork planet inspired rp off the ground', if it doesn't end up working well we can always switch to something else~
And, uh, the Clockwork Planet anime was okay. Ish. I'm still not entirely sure how I feel about it to be honest.

---

More to come, maybe?

Bump.

Tried editing the original thread, wanted to try just throwing in a list of simple pairings since that'd probably work better - hardly ever stick to the plots as written anyways, sometimes even make completely new stuff, not that I mind. But, uh, I forgot how much of a skill boiling things down to such basics isn't quite my forte xD If you don't like any of the things listed in the thread, feel free to reach out anyways! I'm sure we can come up with something

Users who are viewing this thread

Back