• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Help Wanted: Reward Upon Completion

The Inkeeper

Protector of The Weary

To Whom It May Concern,

I hope this letter arrives to find you well, and hopefully alive! You have been recommended by word of mouth for your ability and knowledge. Please join many more like you to see odd new places, meet odd new people, and battle for the valor and glory of a Hero!

kinver-3.jpg

Come find your true calling at The Drumbling Stunk! A place of good ambiance, great people, and better beer! Stop by as soon as possible, for your adventure awaits!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You slowly look up from the crumpled, weathered parchment you had received just days before, finally having arrived at this shanty but quaint Inn in the dimming sunlight. You fold the paper carefully and put it back into your pack. You didn't bring much, but what did you expect to bring to a new life of adventure? With a short readjustment, you quickly walk to the door as the smell of heavy brew and bar-cooking fills the room. Laughter and shouting can be heard from inside and you feel both brave and nervous of what lies behind.

Just remember... Only survivors get a breathing man's reward.

Last edited by a moderator:
A warm glow surrounds you as the sun set over the small village that you believe holds the peculiar Inn you've been requested by. A small crowd gathers around it as many citizens stumble both in and out of the bar. A very large man, in both stature and belly, stands outside to welcome every potential costumer with a smile.

"C'mon, folks, can't you all find a way in without causin' such a ruckus? I got important people comin' today and they ain't to be missed, ya hear!" The man shouts above the talking, "Carlos, stop pushing Ryan! Eron, pick up this damned bag. Christian, put your sword down. And for all that's lovely, Rico, where's this man's pants?!"

Three identical heavily-build bald men stand at the front-right corner of the building, scowling and growling at most of the patrons. They seem to be conversing among themselves fairly seriously, giving poisonous glances at anyone who dares get too close. Around the front-right corner a large sign can be seen holding the Inn's name, brandished "The Drumbling Stunk", and several posters of all sorts that are carefully nailed to the thick board.

An amber eyed, red headed girl stood a little ways away from the people and more importantly, the man who was welcoming them. Her eyebrow was cocked as she looked at the Inn. She was already rethinking her choice to actually show up, even more so now that she reliazed she might be the youngest person there.

She took a deep breath, and shook her head. "Alright, come on, no turning back now," She told herself, taking one last look at the outside making sure she definitely had the right palce. Her eyes fell upon the sign, and she chuckled. Out of all the names for an Inn, why The Drumbling Stunk? She figured she would ask as she approached the portly man who was greeting patrons.

Buras walked towards the tavern, recognizing that the symbols of the letter matched up with the sign above the door. This was the place he was supposed to be, now if only he knew who he was supposed to meet here. He wasn't able to hear much beside the rabble that was around him, and that wasn't anything useful. 'Bah,' he thought to himself, 'I'll figure it out sooner or later.' This was one of the few times he didn't use violence immediately to solve a problem. But that soon changed as one to many people bumped into him. Grabbing the man by his shirt, he turns him around and screams in his face one word. "Move!" This was enough to stun the man into silence, followed by a rapid reaction to do as the scary man said. No one else found it to threatening, and simply ignored him. He already said he'd figure it out, but he starting to want to use his fists more and more to figure it out.

A horse-drawn wagon pulls into the village filled with the fruits and vegetables of Melonridge Farms. Cilantro flips a single gold coin into the driver's hand and thanks him for the ride before hopping off the wagon. Cilantro pulls out the letter from his satchel and attempted to find the building known as the Drumbling Stunk, he chuckled at the hilarious name of the tavern. Empty glass bottles clank together in his satchel as he moves and a cool breeze sweeps through his retracting hair line and rustles his long, blue cloak. Eventually he comes across a crowd of people gathered at the entrance of a building, he approaches to investigate and read the sign, this was the place. Cilantro made his way through the crowd of people carefully until he got to the front of the crowd and saw a large man standing in the doorway.

The large jolly man turns to beam at the young girl as he's approached, "Ah, the lil lass is--" He begins, but is quickly cut off by some heightened screaming within the crowd. "And I'm sure you're as glad as I am to have ya, lassie!" The man slowly wades into the crowd, nudging and even knocking over several patrons before turning to face her again when she doesn't follow. "The people around these parts call me Tankard, or they know I'll give it to 'em if they call!" Tankard begins a deep, hearty, bellowing laugh that rocks the young girl's bones. "Don't worry, youngin', I only eat the older ones." He wryly winks before continuing his venture into the Inn.

As he walks, his smile gets wider as another of his 'important people' are noticed within the crowd. He corrects his pants around his waist before stepping up to the man, much smaller in size to him. He gazes down, softly but heavily placing a hand on the shoulder of the small beast of a man before him. "And you'll be another! I got a tankard inside for you that could take down a black bear - funny story - and you should be gettin' in the get it before it gets cold!" His large stomach jiggles a bit as he chuckles to himself, motioning for the two adventurers to follow him.

The inside of the Inn seems smaller on the outside, and almost seems physically improbable for the amount of patrons at its tables. Small candles are lit at each table, but the majority of the main barroom has been illuminated by a large cooking fire in the center of the room, with the tables set up in rings around the fire pit. The bar stands at the opposing end, facing the door. The room is bustling with life just as the outside is, and several bald men as seen from outside are tending to the patrons of the bar.

Akima chuckled again as the man talked, still a little nervous. I didn't think there would be other people joining... she though as she followed him inside.

She was glad however, on how easily she could follow him through the crowd due to her slender frame and that she wasn't as tall as the men there. A few gave her weird looks, and whispered to buddies as she walked, brushing a few stray strands of hair out of her face.

Anastasia walked swiftly towards the entrance to the tavern, she had walked all the way to the building, and the journey had made her exhausted. But, as the reality of the possibility of a new adventure hit her, her energy was revitalized (Though she still looked forward to a moment of rest once she was inside.)

Walking into the tavern, she faltered for a moment at the entrance. The sheer amount of activity of the place took her by surprise, it seemed very charming from the outside, but the more she looked around it seemed as though it was the opposite. She wondered for a moment if she had simply wandered into a random building. Clutching the note in her hand, she decided she would soon find out.

She shook her head, knocking herself out of her daze, and walked further into the building, weaving around the drunken strangers surrounding her.

(EDIT: Didn't realize you were talking to Beowulf, my bad)

Cilantro looked on as a slender woman and a muscular man followed Tankard into the tavern. He decided to follow behind the trio and felt the warmth of the fire wrap around him. He was surprised at how packed the pub was, but oddly enough, he didn't feel very alone.

Marcy walks to the tavern, bloody from killing orcs on the way, looks around her and gives anyone the death stare if they were looking at her. She walks into the tavern walks to the bar and orders 4 ales.

She looks around and notices the red haired girl, and is quickly flooded with memories of her village, she sobs a bit and quickly stops after she notices someone looking at her.

Buras growled softly at the man when he placed the hand on his shoulder. He may have been much bigger then him, in height and mass, but he had fought bigger. But the promise of a strong drink, much stronger then what anyone else had claimed in a long time, was enough for him to keep a lid on it and follow after.

When he entered, he was impressed at the amount of people that was able fit in the tavern. It was like one of those magician's boxes. But instead of dogs or birds, it was people. "Where's that drink you promised." he growled silently.

It's a nice day, especially for Dante. He hasn't been in a tavern in quite some time. It brings him a nostalgic feeling as he took a drink. The hood that covers his identity helps him feel safe, however, it doesn't feel right. He forgot something, it isn't polite to have his hood up in a home, and this is the home of the ale! Dante takes off his hood and looks around the bar. It sure brings him back some memories. Good old times with his old gang. He grabs his symbol hanging on his neck and clutches it, smiling. Dante takes another swig of his fine ale and gives a chuckle.

"Old times..." Dante said as he continue to drink his ale....wait, didn't he come here for a reason? Dante dwells on his thoughts, trying to remember his purpose here.

Within the "Drumbling Stunk," at a table alone, William Cutt sat. He had a friendly smile on his face and an ere of light-heartedness about him. He had come to see a man, or perhaps a woman, about a letter that had made mention of some kind of reward. The letter had mentioned other things as well, though it was primarily the mention of the reward that caught his eye, and piqued his interests. He was in the right place, he knew that for sure, 'Who am I looking for though..?' he wondered.

With no way of knowing who he was looking for - and having assumed that whoever they were, were also looking for him - William decided to wait at the table. While he waited his eyes looked around the room with mild amusement. The atmosphere in the bar reminded him of Locklin, his home. The people here, however, seemed to be substantially more tame, though perhaps slightly more lethal.

Tankard brazenly stands before the bar, addressing the patrons of the bar while holding up a familiar piece of paper. "Thank ya, everybody for comin' tonight! Rico, put some damned pants on him!.. Anybody who isn't part of the common rabble I got around 'ere should have one of my letters! Show your paper to Mister over there," he points to the attendant behind the bar, "once yer done yer rounds, kindly follow me so I can tell ya what yer supposed to be doin' for me." The bouncy man slowly corrals what adventurers he can pick out of the crowd to the bar and heads down a trap door opened by one of the bald attendants, now identified as 'Mister'.

The bald man stares at the group of "adventurers" that Tankard brought to the bar: A fire-eyed lady barely old enough to drink, a still young but slightly more jaded looking women, a short-statured and short-tempered man, and a much smaller slightly scatter-brained gnome. He eyed what he knew to be another adventurer in the corner, a much more gentle-faced sea-dog sitting in the corner with an ale, and gently but begrudgingly beckons him forward. He carefully disarms himself, setting his greataxe against the bar as he fills more tankards for the patrons of the bar.

Anastasia was convinced she was at the wrong place. Of course she hoped she wasn't, and that she really was about to go on the adventure of a life time, but there was another part of her that thought she may have been lured here to be raped and murdered or something of the likes. I mean usually when one receives a strange letter from someone they've never met, it Isnt a grand idea to follow their instructions.

Her thoughts were quickly interrupted by a large man shouting for their attention. Listening to what he had to say, she grinned and walked quickly towards the man at the bar, briefly giving him a flash of her crumpled letter, and following the others down the sinister looking hole. Her previous thoughts suddenly lost from her mind.

"I was promised a drink that wasn't watered down piss." Buras growled at the bald man, passing over the paper as he spoke. That would do it, if not he'd have to knock some sense into him. "He said it could knock out a black bear." he continued, waving to where the large man had disappeared down the trap door. "I'll be the judge of that." Black bears, phaw. Compared to a dire bear they were simply large dogs. But still, that was no small accomplishment. Perhaps the drink would be better then what he was currently expecting.

Akima a walked up to Mister and handed him the paper. She smiled politely at him, her eyes drifting to the weapon he put sat against the bar. Quickly, she turned away, and followed him and another woman down the trap door.

She nearly hit her head, but dodged the last second. "So..." she spoke for the first time where people could hear her, "Why are we going down a trap door?"

Cilantro followed the fat man's instructions and pulled out his letter from his satchel and approached the bar. Cilantro then pulled himself up onto the bar stool but before he could show his paper to the bald bartender, he saw the muscular barbarian demanding a drink. He'd seen a few people like him before on his journeys, but they still intimidated him just by their shear size. Cilantro decided to wait until the barbarian was done to present his letter to the bartender.

Dante, halfway finished with his ale, hears a large man who he assumes to be the owner of the bar by his announcement. Oh, that's what he's suppose to be doing, a job, no, an adventure. Where's that letter now? He searches himself, checking his left pocket, then his backpack, he even checks his shoes, where is that letter?! He starts to get a little frustrated, feeling like he'll be late to the others so he stands up and looks around, trying to find out if he dropped his letter somewhere. He notices a man beckon him over and gives a nervous smile at him. Signaling that it's be just a moment. As he looks around, letter letter letter! Dante then checked his right pocket to find his letter... an entire minute of looking like a fool. What an good start... He couldn't help but laugh at himself, but then feel embarrassed as he isn't alone, and the others are already leaving, as they weren't clumsy as Dante was. He leaves his table in a rush, not even finishing that fine pine of ale. What a shame.

"I'm coming!" he said, red faced, showing the letter to the bald man. He looked intimidating to Dante, but he couldn't just dwell on thoughts again, as in last time nothing went well. Dante goes down the door, following the others.

William listened intently as the burly fellow spoke over the din of the room. When the man had finished and walked off with a crowd of follows - presumably other adventurers of sorts- William noticed the aforementioned "Mister" beckoning to him. Will swaggered his way across the room and met the large bald "Mister," face to face. He looked him up and down with his eyes and waited a moment for him to speak. When he didn't - or at least before he could - Will let loose a playful grin, showed "Mister" a glimpse of the letter, and headed down the trap door after the others quietly laughing to himself.

Lawrence Wolfe

Suddenly in a tempest of movement the armoured figure entered. Door crashing to the side and chest heaving. Blood- now coagulated and flaking, was splattered over his hair and sharp cut features. "Fuck me sideways" He exhaled, groaning and grumbling to run a hand through his tangled mop of blonde locks. "Am I late?! I just spent time acquainting myself with the wildlife." He called, sword oozing blood from it's sheath and unto the floor. "...I'll pay for that" Lawrence offered, clearing his throat. "Anyone got an idea whats going on? With the leaflets? Unless this time I really managed to fuck up."

Wolfe, leant upon the bar having the moment to take in his surroundings finally. It was quite the rathole down here- felt like home. A heavy stink of mead and yeast coated the place, oak counters greasy to the touch from years of use. Signs of a raucous bunch whom stayed the evening every night, wasting coin on getting pissed. Alas, the leaflet had promised adventure, it promised the unknown and awoke a hunger-
a need. He wouldn't do it for the reward if there was one. He'd do it for the adrenaline and propitious fight! The swing of a sword, clank of armour and another story for when he was old and decrepit. If he managed to live that long with his profession- that was.

Lawrence, retrieved a slightly crimson dampened piece of paper from within his chest plate, reading over it again to make sure this was indeed the right place. Seconds later one of the males stood up waving his own around to run across the tavern. Then disappearing down. In response he began to stride over, metal clinking lightly in a military chime as he finally met the man, with perhaps an answer to the questions that remained.
Must be the owner.

The basement was a sharp contrast to the lively bar overhead. Very little of the jubilant activity could be heard through the walls and ceiling, which gave the place an even more eerie feeling. Tankard stood beside the stairwell as the adventurers stepped down, gauging their reactions as they entered the darkly lit room. Tankard has Mister close the trap door as the last of the adventurers, an armor-clad gent with sharp features, enters the room. They all sit for a moment in silence, listening to one another's sharp breath. The room itself was easily capable of holding all of the group, with a large table set in the middle. Candles were articulately placed on the table, providing light to what could now be seen as a map. Large X's had been hastily scribbled in places on the map where the trails or paths seemed to end. Smaller circles were also drawn onto the parchment, almost twice or three times as many as the X's.

Tankard's face became grim as he addressed the crowd before him, "Men and women of the world, I present to you the malign nature of this offer. This map shows you just the size of our problem. Every X, a path that leads nowhere, several days travel for naught. Every O..." Tankard pauses and takes a slow shaky breath, "Every O is a man. Men who might be, as we're here to find out, just like all of ya. My letters have been sent far and wide to every mop-pusher and sword-swinger that can knock something over with a sneeze. Every last one of 'em ended up here for me, and all of 'em is in the dirt today. You've been brought here to change that."

"This showed up two weeks from today.."

Mister stalked from his post beside the trapdoor and stood before wall farthest from the group. Lighting two torches, a large door could now be seen. The door stood as tall as Tankard, and perhaps even wider than himself. A chilling sensation crawls up the neck of any and all that look upon it, and only grows as time goes on. Small inscriptions could be seen in the woodwork of the door, but in a language that isn't recognized in the average repertoire of ones used today. After lighting the torches, Mister visibly shutters a little before retreating back to his post by the door. Tankard nods to Mister before continuing, "All of ya are here, to go through that door. The door will lead to a dungeon of sorts, with all your average creatures and critters you'd find in any ol' spooky mysterious dungeon. I'd like you to find a way through the dungeon, and find what brought it here. Stop it, and you get to keep anything you find in there, bodies or not. Don't stop it, and... I don't expect to see much of ya afterwards. Together or apart, that's a decision made by the rest of ya, but I wouldn't advice goin' in without some friendly eyes to watch your back."

"If any of ya want to grab a glass of milk before returnin' to yer mama's, I'll give it free of charge. Now'd be the time to leave," he motions towards trapdoor which Mister opens, "or you can be part of Tankard's Legendary Corps. If you got the guts, I got the job."

Akima's eyes lingered over the door as she took a deep breath. Now I see why he asked for more people. She looked at Tankard, Mister, then the other adventure in the room. A shiver danced down her spine, but she swallowed her fears.

She looked back to Tankard and crossed her arms, "This sounds like fun, terrifying fun," She replied. She uncrossed her arms and ran a hand through her hair, and rubbing the back of her neck.

Cilantro sat in anticipation for information on his quest, outlandish thoughts of what the adventure might be ran through his head which made him bounce in his seat with excitement. To his eyes, Tankard seemed to be underselling the mysteriousness of the quest, delving into the unknown was what Cilantro lived for, and he began to forget why he ever gave it up. Cilantro's bouncing caused the locket around his neck to jiggle around, he grabbed the locket and clenched it in his hand, inside was a miniature painting of him and his wife Satie, and an empty slot next to it waiting to be filled. His bouncing ceased and he smiled 'For her' he thought.

Will took his seat with the others down in the cellar; he had a casual smirk on his lips - as he often did - but his eyes were piercing, and focused directly at the man Tankard. As they continued to sit in silence Will's eyes turned down to the map. It was an interesting map, but not interesting enough to keep his gaze once Tankard began to speak.

When the door was revealed a cold sensation crawled up Will's back and wiped away his smirking grin.

Will tore his eyes away from the door and looked back to Tankard with a content, but serious, look. Just then - before Will could speak - one of the other "adventurers" spoke. He let her say what she had to say, and then began himself,

"Aye, da' gal's right, but how much does fun pay?" Will paused for a moment, then looked to the girl with a playful but apologetic smile, "Don't take it da' wrong way love, I do like ta' have fun,... but!" He turned back to tankard again, "I like gold and silver more. You're promising what's in ter', behind da' door, but how do we know if ter's really anything good back ter'?" Will's serious face lightened and he smiled, "I need to know ter's more than troll shite in ta' dungeon."

@killgor911

Users who are viewing this thread

Back