Idea Help me fill in the gaps?

NivieApple

I Am The Elephant.
So I started working out this kinda weird idea in my head a while back and I've been trying to feel it out and work through some kinks. Some help, advice, or just plain opinions would be very much appreciated so I can see if my thought is something at all good and if not how to make it better. Mostly, I'm looking to see if what I've written even makes sense to people, if there are any MAJOR plot holes that need filling, and if it is something that people would find interesting.

Here's what I've got.

Title: Power Couples (little cheesy, but I love it so...)

(Keep in mind that this is not a future or past situation, it is more of an alternate reality. It's basically the same Earth, but with very different people. There is no America or Europe or China, it's just one Earth...)
Background: This is a world where those with powers are despised and restrained. Where the people who are different are kept in shackles and anyone special is put in bondage. That is where you live. And you are special.
Since the earliest days, there have been people who were born different. Very very few; only about one in every ten-thousand children were born this way. Genetic abnormalities, they were called, or "Genz" for short. These people were studied for years and feared for even longer. They made average people feel insignificant. This continued until a few years ago. A new government with new technologies came into power. Their first order of business? Get you under control. They can't have random people with fancy powers flying around or running on water! No way! Now, specialized bracelets with the most advanced power suppressing technology have been issued. The first year of this government's rule many Genz lived in fear. They were being rounded up. Hunted down by spies and police forces, and if you were caught you would be 'suppressed'. There wasn't a Genz left uncontrolled by the next year. Every child in every hospital born has to be tested for the genetic mutation that results in powers before they are sent home, and if one is found, they get a couple of nice bracelets as souvenirs. For the first time in ever, everyone was normal, or at least they were forced to be. Under the rule of this dictatorial government, morale fell to an all-time low. Exports dropped. Less and less enrolled in the army. It was rough for everyone, harsh rules and regulations faced each and every person, but the Genz had it by far the worst. With such low morale, most of the 'normal' population began to despise the Genz. Not for any particular reason except that they were different and it was just easy to hate on them. These people were given the worst jobs, if they could even get one, and were treated like plague victims by many, sometimes even by their own family members. After a few years of this staggeringly low motivation, the government had a solution. Why not use the Genz for entertainment instead? They tried many things. Gladiator shows. Races. You name it. The Genz that were on their shows became famous. They were stars. They were the ones that officially got away from the stereotypes of their kind and were welcomed back into society, if they made it out alive. If you were a Genz, being chosen was something most dreamed of. The shows also significantly raised the average citizens' spirits. Now there are a number of shows. The ever-popular Gladiator ring. Children's magic shows. And who could forget, the nation's favorite: Power Couples. It is by far the strangest of the lot. They chose 12 Genz, 6 girls and 6 boys, all between the ages of 20 and 30 to be a part of a twisted reality game show. This year, one of those chosen is you. When you are chosen, you don't have a choice to not go, though most would volunteer rather than live the life they had been living. Now the games are starting, and let me tell ya darlin', love is a battlefield.

Basic Plot: Young, powerful, bachelors and bachelorettes will be thrown together in a resort setting, all to themselves. It's a game show/ reality show, in which the contestants are trying to form relationships with people. Every two days, there is elimination. That night, everybody casts their vote as to who they would choose to go on a date with. Everyone who gets an ask stays in, those who don't, compete in a mini-game challenge and the loser is banned from the resort (if only one person doesn't get an ask, they are banned). Everyone has a different power, so the mini-games are super intense. Bloody, even. Also, if two people give invites to EACH OTHER then they actually get to go on that date. The goal is to have a bunch of 'in love' couples! And the entertainment value is also key because in the end, the 'audience' (could be consisting of the voted off members) gets to vote on their favorite couple and whoever wins gets five million dollars! Those who don't win, well, at least they found love... Right? Max of two powers and I would like the powers to be at least SOMEHOW related or similar if you can do that... Because people are born and are immediately "suppressed" no one has ever actually used their powers before they get put on the show. The only way they could know anything about what powers they have is if they got themselves tested as scientists and doctors are taught how to spot the genes that produce certain TYPES of powers- ie: one gene gives mind powers, another gives muscular powers (running, strength, growth, shape-shifting etc.) another, elemental powers (fire, water, ice, earth, etc.). The show is extremely guarded, and as soon as you were to leave the show your bracelets would be put back on. These would be the suppressor bracelets.

View attachment 533699 One on each wrist. Grow with your wrist and are impossible to get off no matter what you do. Suppress powers.

So, from what I can see here, this is a pretty solid plot. Of course, expectations of romance and superpowers don't usually gel great together, but I think that is something you can overcome.

As far as very personal observations go, I was quite off put by "yet another story of discrimination against the powered", though I do see why you put it there... kinda.

See, the thing is that while I understand why you used the discrimination thing, I also think it actually comes at the detriment of the story's logic and progress. If everyone is there against their own will, why the heck should any of it have more meaning than "we're being forced to do this"? Wouldn't be better if instead of this overcomplicated, and frankly cliche story of the powered being oppressed, this was instead just a normal reality tv show that the actually powered sign up for? Maybe make it one that is a bit extreme, because there aren't solid laws regulating stuff about superpowers yet due to sheer diversity.

This would make the character's movitations more diverse and interesting, it would allow the events to make more sense and feel more genuine, and furthermore if you still wanted to adress the whole "forced to do things" or "evil oversight" type, you can: Real life "reality tv" contests are actually currently known to often involve shady contracts and practices like that.

Anyway, that was just a suggestion. The plot overall feels good, but I do think you go about creating the scenario in a manner that more roundabout than it needs to, and that manner actually comes at the detriment of both originality and quality of the plot.

So, from what I can see here, this is a pretty solid plot. Of course, expectations of romance and superpowers don't usually gel great together, but I think that is something you can overcome.

As far as very personal observations go, I was quite off put by "yet another story of discrimination against the powered", though I do see why you put it there... kinda.

See, the thing is that while I understand why you used the discrimination thing, I also think it actually comes at the detriment of the story's logic and progress. If everyone is there against their own will, why the heck should any of it have more meaning than "we're being forced to do this"? Wouldn't be better if instead of this overcomplicated, and frankly cliche story of the powered being oppressed, this was instead just a normal reality tv show that the actually powered sign up for? Maybe make it one that is a bit extreme, because there aren't solid laws regulating stuff about superpowers yet due to sheer diversity.

This would make the character's movitations more diverse and interesting, it would allow the events to make more sense and feel more genuine, and furthermore if you still wanted to adress the whole "forced to do things" or "evil oversight" type, you can: Real life "reality tv" contests are actually currently known to often involve shady contracts and practices like that.

Anyway, that was just a suggestion. The plot overall feels good, but I do think you go about creating the scenario in a manner that more roundabout than it needs to, and that manner actually comes at the detriment of both originality and quality of the plot.

Wow, that's actually really helpful. I definitely will do some reworking on this. Thank you for the input! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back