Advice/Help HELP! I suck at writing plots!

BakaTheIdiot

Viscount of Spaghetti Code
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
This has been a problem for a while now. Every time I write up a plot with (what I think is) a pretty decent idea for a direction, characters in mind, etc, I don't even get a single request. After a long, long deliberation, I am reaching out for advice.

What makes a good Plot?

Obviously, everybody has their thing, but I focus on modification. If the other person doesn't like Something, we change it. I like sci-if, nation building, and fantasy, but I can rarely find anything that suits me, and I can't write a plot to save my life, apparently. It's a vicious cycle.

So here's my main question - what, to you, makes a good plot? I'll be taking notes.

Well I wouldn’t use “dont get a single request” as an indication there is anything wrong with your ideas.

You could have simply posted them at the wrong time, some of your other requirements didn’t link up with potential partners, etc.

As long as your excited about an idea that’s all that matters.

You’ll never be able to find a roleplay just tailoring to other people’s likes. For one there is just too big of a variety.

I would say the best bit of advice I have :

Do something your excited about and have patience. It might take weeks to find a partner.

If you have a specific idea you need help fleshing out I can see about giving some tips on that.

Agreed with the above- just because the idea/plot doesn't get requests/takers doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad idea. I've had roleplays that were fairly unpopular at the time they were uploaded/created, but eventually ballooned out with numerous players.

I remember in the previous roleplaying site I used to frequent, you'd really have to know how to "read" the current "trend" for RPs to launch a successful one. If everyone's making sci-fi, it's the perfect time to jump in. Same with other genres. Since RPN has specific forums for those genres, though, this part is a little easier.

Really, it all boils down to patience. Finding partners, much less a group can take varying amounts of time. Some might flock to your idea a day or two after it's uploaded, and some may take weeks of patient bumping to finally gain some traction.

My only suggestion I guess is that if you feel intimidated about creating plots, try to stick to something a bit simple for roleplays at first- for example, school-based, sandbox RPs for a realistic/modern setting, typical adventuring story for fantasy, etc. etc.

Subjectively speaking I like a nicely condensed plot, not a lot of excess flavor text and gets straight to the point.

As for advice if you're looking for a hit on your idea, I would say gear plots/ideas/themes on popular subjects for the forum you are on. Obviously niche interests or unpopular themes aren't going to win hits as quickly as the popular stuff. If you aren't willing or don't want to RP the popular areas then just hold on and try to use more than this site to search for partners.

In my answer, I'll be presuming (given the general trend) that by plot you mean "premise" as it is most often used in that sense and given your description.

First, as stated before, and I don't intend to beat you over the head with this, but people not taking your ideas isn't necessarily an indicator of a bad idea. I would argue it's often just a case of an idea with too narrow a demographic not finding that miracle match and potentially a bad pitch for the idea. So, allow me this shameless advertising of my guide for writing good interest checks.

So, now to answer your actual question, what makes a good plot/premise. The thing is, the essential of a good premise is whatever allows you to build a good story from it, however by itself that isn't very useful, because those of us who do put that kind of forethought usually are pretty sure the the premise has that kind of potential virtually all the time. Really in the end of the day, expansion and execution of the idea and "marketing" of the idea is the difference. Still, there a couple of things that will generally improve your plot (almost universally):

->Nobody is roleplaying for you: In a book for instance, when trying to answer the question "why should I care?" the author has to create interesting reading material. Make the reader take interest in the character and the story by showing the appeal of that story and that character and that setting. This is where one of the big differences between roleplay and story writing comes in: In roleplay the appeal isn't so much the other's story, setting and character, but your own character in that context. Your own contribution, that's what you are invested in. So nomatter how interesting your premise what you always have to properly sell first and foremost is the other person's place in it, or otherwise you'll be taking a significant portion of the interest out.
However, capturing people's interest by focusing on their roleplay needs does not end there. For example, don't be a robot. If you're just listing information instead of adding some personality to how you describe your plot, your chances of success are lowered. Being strictly informational makes tropes, plot holes and such things stand out more, whereas adding some personality not only can help you find partners that are more interested in your personal style (something which can go to great lengths in strengthening the partnership).

->Good balance of freedoom and direction: a good plot knows where it wants to go, but it also is flexible enough for some detours. An overarching point to the narrative, even if it's just exploring some aspect of a character's daily life or relationship, but enough room must be left for the other person to insert something that appeals to them.

On a more personal preference/personal taste note, I am a planner by nature, a lover of comedy, passionate for worldbuilding and someone who puts great value on post detail and by association post size. Small plots hardly ever appeal to me unless they just happen to allow me to insert something else I was looking for anyway. I like points with great comedy potential, plots that indulge in tropes, anime-esque plots, and rich, interesting worlds on the mechanical side usually. Otherwise my test depend a lot on whatever is trending for me personally, and on whether the kinds of characters I like to play are allowed within the plot.

Hopes this helps somehow, it honestly was a little rushed out, but I wanted to give an answer. Best of luck and happy RPing!

I say try to write plots dat get u interested in a show, movie, or book in da first place. Use dat as he foundation n build upon it. Find ways to twist it to make it better, funnier, crazier, sexier, etc. It’s how I started off. 😏

Users who are viewing this thread

Back