• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fandom Harry Potter Interest Check (Ilvermorny, North American School of Magic)

morgan.

hiiiiii
✧ Set in Ilvermorny, the North American School of Magic, rather than Hogwarts ✧
✧ Set in modern times, which means original characters only ✧
✧ I suggest reading up more about the history of the school and its houses if you're interested ✧

ILVERMORNY

The great North American school of magic was founded in the seventeenth century. It stands at the highest peak of Mount Greylock, where it is concealed from non-magic gaze by a variety of powerful enchantments, which sometimes manifest in a wreath of misty cloud. Ilvermorny was originally a stone cottage constructed by Irish immigrant Isolt Sayre, and her No-Maj husband James Steward. It became a school when their adoptive children Chadwick and Webster Boot hoped they could return to Ireland so they could attend Hogwarts. Isolt then promised they could build their own school at Ilvermorny with the objective of home-schooling them.

Thus, the school started with just the couple acting as teachers and their two adopted sons as students. So it was that Ilvermorny’s four founders – Isolt, James, Webster, and Chadwick – divided their own school. Each named a house after their favourite magical creature: Horned Serpent (Isolt), Wampus (Webster), Thunderbird (Chadwick) and Pukwudgie (James). As J.K. Rowling explains: ‘It is sometimes said of the Ilvermorny houses that they represent the whole witch or wizard: the mind is represented by Horned Serpent; the body, Wampus; the heart, Pukwudgie and the soul, Thunderbird. Others say that Horned Serpent favours scholars, Wampus, warriors, Pukwudgie, healers and Thunderbird, adventurers.’

Eventually, the school enrolled more students, and the couple were able to provide wands not just for their children, but for the other students too. When a student starts their education at Ilvermorny, they step onto a Gordian Knot on the floor in the centre of the entrance hall with large wooden statues of the mascots for the four houses facing them. The carved statues react if they want the student in their house. The older students watch in silence from a circular balcony on a floor above them as the new students are sorted. The carvings react in different ways: the crystal in the Horned Serpent carving's forehead glows, the Wampus carving roars, the Thunderbird carving beats its wings, and the Pukwudgie carving raises its arrow.

However, sometimes more than one carving will try to select the same student and so the student is then able to choose the house they prefer. This happens very rarely. Sometimes— as rare as once a decade or even a generation as in the case of one student — a student will be selected by every house. After finding out their house, Ilvermorny’s first years are shown into the hall where they acquire their wands.

©SociallyAwkward

Last edited:
perfect! i'll keep it open to more ppl, but i think i'll get started on getting the cs up now that we've gotten a decent amount of interest

Just a suggestion!! If you want to make your character about yourself I recommend taking the Pottermore.com Ilvermorny House Quiz to find out which house you belong in!! I just did mine and I got Thunderbird!
housecrest-thunderbird-230.png

I've taken the Hogwarts quiz sooo many times on Pottermore. I ALWAYS either get Slytherin or Gryffindor. Like 65% Slytherin and 35% Gryffindor. But I retook it today and got Gryffindor. I was surprised but still happy, especially since I'm so used to getting Slytherin. But oh well.

That's cool! ^u^
I have done quizzes all over and always get Hufflepuff, well except I think once or twice I did get Ravenclaw. My brother has always been a Slytherin ^-^ and he loves it.

I feel your brother. When I first took the quiz and got Slytherin I was kinda bummed out but after a while I kinda have pride in being a Slytherin now. You know JK said herself that Merlin was a Slytherin. And I kinda feel like being a Slytherin kinda puts you in a special club. Like we know everyone hates us but we have each other's backs. I kinda feel like that when it comes to being a Slytherin. I identify like that now. I don't care about the 35%.

that's great you think that way really, its how I love that im a Huffle no matter if people think little of the house ^-^ Also I was a bit worried when my brother got Slytherin thinking he would not take it well and he just smiled and said "I knew it" and walked away from the computer with a grin on his face. XD loved his reaction every time I think about it

I feel like I'm pretty good at guessing people's houses. Like my friend from bio lab last semester. He never red any of the book or anything (*tear*) but I just knew he would be a Hufflepuff. I was right! And same with my other lab partner. I knew she was a Slytherin before I even had them take it.

I will throw my interest into the ring! I have had endless debates about how useless Hufflepuff is and each time I will defend them until I have used every word in the English language, I am most certainly a Hufflepuff with a decent amount of pride lol

If I'm not too late to the houses convo... I'm most certainly a Slytherin. Whenever I take the quiz I usually have at least a 90% chance of getting Slytherin and a 10% of Ravenclaw. Always been proud of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back