Literature Harry Potter Headcanons

I'm a little late to this party, and I might just go back and read everything fully later, but I just wanted to drop this here:

acdd1d2beb2aedb0c1fec0dbb716c0009062dcf7388544ff6dd12f16536d4f75_1.jpg

This is something I fully headcanon

AnimeGenork AnimeGenork so I super disagree. I feel like that is a prankster kind of spell that they would use in school. I can see 15-16 year old Marauders, Weasley Twins, or even Harry/Ron using that spell on their school nemesis. The Marauders definitely used that on Snape, and Harry/Ron would use it on Draco.

But the problem is I don't feel like any of those characters saw the Death Eaters as funny. Like that isn't the kind of spell you use to fight a serious threat to your safety or your family. The Death Eaters were trying to actively murder Harry (in the books) and would have been actively wanting to torture and murder Lily (pre-books). I don't see either James or Sirius finding either situation funny or something to be treated lightly.

I feel like people forget that James grew up pretty damn quickly after school. He got married, joined the Order of the Phoenix, and had a baby all within like three years. That's a lot of growing as a person to do within a fairly short period of time. I don't think adult James was anything like the kid we see in memories of the Marauders. Sirius I think is a bit more immature and impulsive but he still took threats to his family very seriously. I feel like he might have been really silly outside of battle but not when it was a matter of life or death for his friends.

AnimeGenork AnimeGenork so I super disagree. I feel like that is a prankster kind of spell that they would use in school. I can see 15-16 year old Marauders, Weasley Twins, or even Harry/Ron using that spell on their school nemesis. The Marauders definitely used that on Snape, and Harry/Ron would use it on Draco.

But the problem is I don't feel like any of those characters saw the Death Eaters as funny. Like that isn't the kind of spell you use to fight a serious threat to your safety or your family. The Death Eaters were trying to actively murder Harry (in the books) and would have been actively wanting to torture and murder Lily (pre-books). I don't see either James or Sirius finding either situation funny or something to be treated lightly.

I feel like people forget that James grew up pretty damn quickly after school. He got married, joined the Order of the Phoenix, and had a baby all within like three years. That's a lot of growing as a person to do within a fairly short period of time. I don't think adult James was anything like the kid we see in memories of the Marauders. Sirius I think is a bit more immature and impulsive but he still took threats to his family very seriously. I feel like he might have been really silly outside of battle but not when it was a matter of life or death for his friends.

My apologies, I was just having a good laugh; I don't actually think that's something they would've done.

As serious as I take my fandoms, I also like joking around about them, too.

My apologies, I was just having a good laugh; I don't actually think that's something they would've done.

As serious as I take my fandoms, I also like joking around about them, too.

Oh I got the joke, I actually do think it fits their personality to use the spell. So they probably did cast it on Malfoy and the other Death Eaters, its just when they were all at school.

They would taunt them with the memory in battle just to get them good and pissy.

I have this theory that a lot of wizards are self-sufficient and don’t actually need a occupation.

As the only items they really have to buy are raw materials for Transfiguration, muggle style appliances (ie Icebox), clothes (if they are fashion conscious), books, and potion supplies.

But they can grow/raise their own raw materials for food and transfigure a lot of their every day items.

So my headcanon is that small urban style farms are actually really popular among wizards. They’ll have chickens, goats, or small cows hidden in their homes.

In light of a certain someone’s transphobic bullshit. I shall bump this thread for the potterheads who want to talk about the world they love and make it as inclusive as possible.

With that in mind :
Gender roles don’t exist in the Wizarding World. They are meritocracy based on magical skills with no distinction between men/women roles.

There is no men do X work and women do Y work. And certainly no men do X magic and women do Y magic.

And because of this there is also not a lot of homophobia. People loving any gender they choose is accepted in society. Magic and rituals exist to help same gendered individuals have children.

Anyway love you guys and love the fandom.

Also if you wanna talk about inclusion or even about the author who must not be named, with a fellow potter head I am always down to get nerdy :) just send me a PM.

In light of a certain someone’s transphobic bullshit. I shall bump this thread for the potterheads who want to talk about the world they love and make it as inclusive as possible.

With that in mind :
Gender roles don’t exist in the Wizarding World. They are meritocracy based on magical skills with no distinction between men/women roles.

There is no men do X work and women do Y work. And certainly no men do X magic and women do Y magic.

And because of this there is also not a lot of homophobia. People loving any gender they choose is accepted in society. Magic and rituals exist to help same gendered individuals have children.

Anyway love you guys and love the fandom.

Also if you wanna talk about inclusion or even about the author who must not be named, with a fellow potter head I am always down to get nerdy :) just send me a PM.
That doesn't really make much sense but it's your headcannon I suppose.

Am I the only one who thinks there should've been more of a celebration on Halloween for the disappearance of Voldemort? Like if that's not cause for a national holiday I don't know what is.

Also Bella was probably a great singer, I always thought she might sound a bit like Marina and the Diamonds (Blue and Froot would likely suit her vocal range best). I can't say where the hell I got that from though, I think I literally just made it up.

Last edited:
That this was never ever said .
“Before adopting Muggle plumbing methods in the eighteenth century, witches and wizards simply relieved themselves wherever they stood, and vanished the evidence.”

That this was never ever said .
“Before adopting Muggle plumbing methods in the eighteenth century, witches and wizards simply relieved themselves wherever they stood, and vanished the evidence.”

I even went so far as to ask a European - hey do you guys just not have outhouses? I mean I know chamberpots where a thing in Victorian novels but idk maybe that was fancy muggle tech.

But surely they had latrines or outhouses or SOMETHING. And yeah Europeans had some form of outdoor bathroom in ye olden times.

So the entire thing makes no sense and honestly can’t have been healthy. I got relatives that are incontinent and it’s really not a fun experience to have no control over your bowel/bladder.

So I think it is one of those things where she had a weird idea and gave it like zero actual thought. Just dear fans here’s a little tidbit I thought up.

And we were all like ... “we hate it.”

Last edited:
The Wizarding Schools also have more mundane classes for teaching things like reading, writing, and arithmetic. There's no way wizards can get through life without learning those.

The Wizarding Schools also have more mundane classes for teaching things like reading, writing, and arithmetic. There's no way wizards can get through life without learning those.
To be fair I wanted to know more about wizard art and literature, I wondered what their stories were like?

I think it was mentioned that kids went to elementary school prior to going to Hogwarts. Or at least where home schooled. So it’s possible they expect the parents to teach the kids reading, writing, and math. Or they assume they learned them at wizard elementary school.

I think it was mentioned that kids went to elementary school prior to going to Hogwarts. Or at least where home schooled. So it’s possible they expect the parents to teach the kids reading, writing, and math. Or they assume they learned them at wizard elementary school.
That's a fair point. Apparently Charms School is a thing and that's meant to be wizarding school for kids that are Pre-Hogwarts age.

That's a fair point. Apparently Charms School is a thing and that's meant to be wizarding school for kids that are Pre-Hogwarts age.
Aww that's cute, but I don't see it working as a boarding school if they're still that young. :)

I don't think it is. Just a day school.
I can just imagine fingerpainting when the kids can make the supplies levitate.

"James, get down from the roof and Timmy will you PLEASE stop setting fire to Amy's desk!"

Kindergarten is bad enough when they aren't magical.

yeah I was pretty sure something like it was mentioned. tbh I always got more hung up on the fact that they didn’t use pens or pencils. Like it’s not like pens/pencils are these high tech modern inventions.

I just explained it away by saying the Brits specifically are petty show offs. So they choose the least efficient writing method as a means of proving their superiority.

And all the other magical communities just roll their eyes.

I just explained it away by saying the Brits specifically are petty show offs. So they choose the least efficient writing method as a means of proving their superiority.
It's less to do with being petty show offs and more to do with British Culture, where we're stoic in our methods and outlook (and traditions). We will all stand there and die before we break ranks and turn tail, even if it's a hopeless fight. But you are right about it being a a means of proving superiority.

yeah I was pretty sure something like it was mentioned. tbh I always got more hung up on the fact that they didn’t use pens or pencils. Like it’s not like pens/pencils are these high tech modern inventions.

And all the other magical communities just roll their eyes.
I think it's to do with wizarding society being more traditional and using quills is seen as some fancy and more traditional method of writing.

I think it's to do with wizarding society being more traditional and using quills is seen as some fancy and more traditional method of writing.

See I thought that too but like the first pen was created in the 1800s. The pencil was first invented in the 1700s. So it's not like they are these new fangled inventions. So the pencil was created shortly after they split from the muggle world in the first place. So I can kind of see them turning up their nose at it in the beginning but I refuse to believe at no point in the 1900s where the muggleborns and half-bloods just like "Why are we doing this? We can integrate trains and cars and other infrastructure into our daily lives but the pen and pencil is a bridge too far?"

Like if they are so dedicated to traditionalism than why use a train at all? And why does the ministry have cars? And like other things (ex. Ice box at the Burrow, that was also invented in the 1800s and you would think if they were just gonna go magical traditionalism route surely they had freezing spells to store food long before that.)

So to me, it's like just strange that the hill they choose to die on in terms of "modern" technology was the pen and pencil. Which is why I think the rest of the magical world doesn't go along with it. It is purely a British thing. Just because I feel like if the rest of the world was going to make some random arbitrary line in the sand about muggle technology it wouldn't be something as relatively low-tech and efficient as a writing implement. They would be like: no cars or no electrical appliances or something.

A few more (because I have too much time at 4 in the morning):
  • The Malfoys had a pedigree dog/cat (probably a cat)
  • Narcissa and Andromeda missed each other and eventually reconciled some years after the second war.
  • Luna owned a magical recorder to create music for the wakspurts.
  • If Hogwarts was in 2020 (and had the same social climate as the Muggle world) Ron would declare himself transgender around book four.
  • There was romantic tension between Dumbledore and McGonagall but it never went anywhere.
  • Sprout and Flitwick were good friends.
  • The muggleborns set up a Muggle reading club and quite a few half and pure bloods joined out of curiosity.

A few more (because I have too much time at 4 in the morning):
  • The Malfoys had a pedigree dog/cat (probably a cat)
  • Narcissa and Andromeda missed each other and eventually reconciled some years after the second war.
  • Luna owned a magical recorder to create music for the wakspurts.
  • If Hogwarts was in 2020 (and had the same social climate as the Muggle world) Ron would declare himself transgender around book four.
  • There was romantic tension between Dumbledore and McGonagall but it never went anywhere.
  • Sprout and Flitwick were good friends.
  • The muggleborns set up a Muggle reading club and quite a few half and pure bloods joined out of curiosity.

What makes you think Ron is transgender? He doesn't give off that vibe at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back