• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Guns, Gangsters, and Grimoires- A Roaring Twenties Witch Coven

( Shagranoz Shagranoz , Maxilgal Maxilgal , Necromantic Necromantic )

Vera's eyes light up, "Oh, so we'll be new together!" Though she is excited regardless, it's a little soothing to know she isn't going be the only person gaping and in awe of the magical world. For Vera, everything is so new and fantastic, from the smallest little charms to werewolves, but she feels like bit of a silly child to be so absolutely fascinated by things that the other's deem as just regular parts of life. There is nothing wonderful about snapping a finger and lighting the room, and a werewolf sighting is scary, concerning, not something to rejoice or find interesting. Knowing Maureen is in the same boat is soothing. Vera squeezes Maureen's hand, "I'm thankful you've invited me along. I'm sure we'll have lots of fun."

Vera giggles a bit at Marie's comment on speakeasies, and not ever going to such a place. Upon mentioning the mirrors, and being presented them, Vera takes her's very delicately, looking into her reflection on the surface with a strange look of thought. She turns her eyes to Marie as she explains their function, thumb running along the frame. It's a little bigger than a compact, though not as large as a hand mirror, with a sturdy frame. She lays the mirror on her lap, smiling up at Marie, "Thank you for the gift, Marie. We'll be careful, I promise."

New footsteps, drawing close from within the house, enter Vera's range of hearing, and she looks up as a rather disheveled, half-dressed boy stumbles into the room, lit cigarette between his index finger and middle finger. She had seen him once or twice, and knows for a fact Marie had mentioned his name at... some point, but cannot remember it for the life of her. Masha? No, that didn't quite sound right. Pacha? Salsa? Figuring she's better off just introducing herself if she cannot remember his name, she looks to the boy, smiling kindly, "I'm sorry, I don't believe we've met yet. My name is Vera; I'm one of the new members. What is your name?"

Last edited:
Turning around, Marie saw Sasha coming into the room, a cigarette in his hands. The young man had been acting peculiarly the past few days, but the opportunity to ask him about hadn't come up yet. "Oh, hello there, Sasha. Vera and Maureen are heading out, if you would wish to join them. I suggest getting yourself cleaned up if you do, though." There was no need to worry him about the werewolf- not yet, anyway.

"You're very welcome, Vera. Now run along, you two. Daylight's wasting." Ah, to be young again...

• [color= yellow]Sasha de Vries[/color]
    [color= yellow]I guess 'Vermillion' was close[/color]​

Sasha hummed when the girl he had just been struggling to remember the name of introduced herself to him. Vera. He... guessed he had been relatively close in his guesses. If he shoved his fingers in his mouth, choked a bit, and cut off the last syllable he supposed Vermillion sounded like Vera. Compulsively, he took another drag on his cigarette and exhaled the smoke before replying. [color= #e5e500]"Mm, nice t' meet ya, Vera, I'm Sasha,"[/color] He mumbled, words slurred together somewhat. With his empty hand, he reached up and rubbed his eyes as if to try and wipe away how groggy he still was. He really could've done with a couple more hours of sleep. Or maybe a couple more days.

Marie's greeting was replied to with a wave while Sasha yawned, his other hand going to cover his mouth. [color= #e5e500]"... Maureen? That the... newer new girl?"[/color] He swore that these new recruits just kept getting younger and younger. These two had to be, what, Gust's age? No, Garritt had to be closer to their age at this point... He'd be.... Seventeen this year? Sixteen? Eighteen? Whatever, they still looked about that old. Maybe they'd get along.

[color= #e5e500]"Ah, sure, going out with them sounds fun,"[/color] Why did she want him to go with the munchkins? Did Marie want him out of the house or something? Eh, that was fine, going out sounded like it would be nice to him. He was pretty sure that Vera lived in Marie's house, so it would be a good opportunity to actually get to know the person he was living with. He looked down at himself at the notion of cleaning himself up. Eh, yeah, he probably did need to wear more than a pair of pants and an unbuttoned shirt out of the house. At the very least, he would need a pair of shoes... and to brush his hair... [color= #e5e500]"Gimme fifteen."[/color]

Sasha de Vries

e2f1a014a0d738307fa1847a66eea19cf52001e4_hq.gif

Important actions

TBA

mentions

Marie was surprised to hear a knock at the door, "Excuse me, but I really should get that." Opening the door, the older witch found a large man waiting for her, with an imp in tow. A summoner? A rare talent, and with more uses beyond the obvious. "Come on in, and introduce yourself. The coven's always looking for new members, we'll see if you measure up."

( fuil fuil Sorry I missed you, new page and all.)

Turg smiled as a lady opened the door. He was even more surprised to hear this was a covens house. "This just gets better and better." He mumbled to himself as he came inside and was greeted by three other people. "Greetings my name is Turg." He bowed deeply which the imp on his shoulder wasn't expecting so he went tumbling to the floor. "Hey boss warn me next time you do the bowing thing." He Hissed as he got up and brushed himself off, he then turned around and gave a big smile, farted, and said. "I'm Imply a demon from hell, nice to meet ya" Turg walked over to the imp and picked him up by the horn. "Imply here is an imp.....pretty harmless as demons go."

“Quite right, Marie.” Hannah murmured under her breath Suddenly, a new face emerged. It was a boy, and he didn’t seem very thrilled about being there. He was smoking, something Hannah did not care for at all as she put away her stitching and arose. “Alright, thank you for everything, Marie. Tea was wonderful. I’ll have to remember to get you that apple spice-sleep spell under way. It keeps slipping my mind.” Her voice turned to a dull droll as she curtsied and excused herself. Maureen herself tried to stay positive, but she didn’t know this Sasha fellow and he seemed quite dull and uninterested in them. She withheld a sigh from escaping her lips and patted her new acquaintance’s hand.

“Do you need anything, Vera?” Maureen was packing herself up, taking her coat and hat from the mannequin butler that had appeared with them with a small thank you. “We have to stop by and get my brothers. They ought to be cleaning themselves up by know. Put something on and make yourself nice, and we can leave as soon as you're ready” Just as she turned to leave, a large, humongous man entered with an imp following him. Caught off guard, she barely processed what he said. But, the whole thing made her uncomfortable. A bad feeling of sorts. “I’ll be waiting at the door, okay?” She skipped a little on her way there, where Hannah was just putting on her coat and scarf. She, too, was less than excited for the young man to accompany them.

( CelticSol CelticSol Necromantic Necromantic Shagranoz Shagranoz fuil fuil )

"Turg, what an interesting name. And hello, Imply." She gave the little demon a look. "I admit to not being too fond of the creatures of Hell- they have a tendency to get loose and do what they exist to do. I do hope your little pet is well-trained. Regardless, welcome to the Black Rose coven, Turg. I am Marie, the coven's leader. Or at least, what passes for one. Now if you'll excuse me, I have a phone call to make."

Marie went over the phone and dialed. She had no need to look up the number; she had called it often enough. "Hello, I need to speak to Esfir Voronin, please."

( Necromantic Necromantic , Maxilgal Maxilgal , fuil fuil )

Vera claps her hands together as the gentleman introduces himself, eyes lighting up with a memory, "Sasha! That was it!" She looks to him sheepishly, then supplies the explanation of her outburst, "I'm so sorry, and I feel really embarrassed about this, but Marie had told me your name, but I couldn't quite remember what it was. Somewhere between Masha and Salsa," She smiles, eyes and tone light with self-deprecating humour, "I have a horrible memory."

She turns to Maureen as she stands, standing herself as Maureen advises their departure. Looking down at herself, she realizes she is still only in a leotard and tights, then nods enthusiastically, "I'll only be a moment," Before turning on her heel and all but skipping towards the stairs. She pauses as she reaches Sasha's side, tapping him on the cheek with her finger as she smiles sincerely, "I'm glad to you'll be coming along. I'm sure we'll all have a great time."

With that, she passes him by, all but running up the stairs to her room. She barely has the door closed before she has her leotard half peeled off, removing both the leotard and the tights underneath in exchange for a different pair of nylons under an short sleeved, embroidered, knee-length dark blue dress, trading off her flats for a pair of heeled Mary Jane's. She grabs a matching hat before she turns to the mirror, sorting her rather mussed up hair before fitting her hat on her head. She dabs a little rouge on her cheeks before declaring herself ready. Then, in a moment of daring, she grabs a lipstick she has never used from her vanity, and swipes on the bright red lipstick. Her mother would never, ever let her wear red lipstick. Red lipstick is for whores, Vera, she would always say. In fact, if she took one look at the outfit Vera wore - suited for a party, but not one of high society - and, if she didn't beat Vera within an inch of her life, would give her the verbal dressing down of the century, or disown her.

But as she looks at herself, watches the bold red lips painted on her face pull into a carefree smile, she finds she could not be damned to worry about what her mother would say. About the lipstick, the outfit, the outing itself, her new companions and coven, about Vera being a witch. Her mother's harsh words couldn't reach her anymore. Her sneer could dissuade her no longer. She has her coven now; Marie, and Maureen, and Hannah, and Sasha, and all the others she has yet to meet. They were her family now.

Satisfied, Vera grabs a fur lined coat and wraps it around herself, turning from her reflection to exit her room, all but running down the stairs towards her Maureen and Hannah and Sasha, "Are we all ready?" She turns to the waiting witches, smiling, but finds a new face in their midst - of a very large man, a small little... something, lingering in his shadow. Though she is not sure of the creature, she is undeterred, "Oh! Hello."

[color= yellow]Oh my god Shut up Ezkiel[/color]​

Sasha had left the room before Marie let the new man in. The shirt he was wearing was clean, so he just buttoned to up instead of going to put a whole new shirt on, then slipped on a vest over the shirt. It was... Probably too hot to be comfortable in a jacket, anyway. Did he... want a bowtie or a necktie? Bowtie or necktie? Bowtie oooorrrr....

[color= purple]'Go with the bowtie, looks better.'[/color]

Was Ezekiel actually telling the truth about whether or now he looked good in the bowtie? Was he just saying that the bowtie was more aesthetically pleasing? Whatever, it wasn't that big of a deal. He tied the bowtie around his neck, then took a look into the mirror in his room. Yeah, everything except his hair looked just fine. It only took him a moment to fix his hair. Nooow he looked just fine. Ready to go.

Ready to go, he walked back down the stairs just in time to hear Marie say that she 'wasn't fond of creatures of Hell'. He barely had time to register what she said before he heard Ezekiel start screaming in his head and fight for control over their body.

[color= purple]'WHAT THE FUCK DID THAT BITCH JUST CALL MY KIND?! I'M GONNA FUCKING KILL HER! LER ME-'[/color]

Every muscle in Sasha's body wanted him to clutch his head and run out of the room as quickly as possible, but he forced himself to maintain composure and calmly walk over to Maureen. It didn't seem like Vera had gotten back yet but... The sooner, the better. The soon Ezekiel would stop screaming at him. The sooner the Hellspawn would stop trying to take control of their body to rip Maire's guts out.

[color= #e5e500]"So, you're Maureen, I'm guessing? Pleasure to meet you, I'm Sasha,"[/color] Despite the fact his internal battle, Sasha's words were calm and polite as ever. Normally, he could've gotten in an arguement with Ezekiel, he was sure that Marie was used to him screaming at nothing, but he didn't want to scare the new member. [color= #e5e500]"Welcome to the coven."[/color]

If he looked in the direction of the large guy with the imp, he was sure that his struggle to keep Ezekiel under control would only get worse due to Marie being in that general direction, so he didn't. He would probably see the man another time, so he could wait to introduce himself. Another day. Relief washed over him when Vera returned dressed in more than just a leotard. [color= #e5e500]"Quite ready, Vera."[/color]

Sasha de Vries

Important actions

Changing clothes, not letting ezekiel kill anybody

mentions

Necromantic Necromantic , Maxilgal Maxilgal , fuil fuil , CelticSol CelticSol

As Esfir swirled her coffee thoughtfully another staff member strode up to her table holding a note card.
"Ms. Voronin," He bowed down to whisper in her ear, "There is a call for you waiting. Esfir visibly grimaced. She hated phones with a passion. Not that she would ever tell anyone. She felt it very cliche for an elderly lady such as herself to complain about the rapidly moving technology of the times. But she liked to look people in the eyes when they spoke, or have the sweet mystery of trying to read people through the things they wrote. The odd space between the two, with voice but no face to connect it to bothered her. Also she was, it was to be admitted, an elderly lady that disliked the rapidly moving technology of the times.
"Excuse me," She said to Dexter, "I have a call to take, please enjoy your food, I'll be back quickly." The shorter the time she had to spend on that infernal thing the better. Gracefully she got out of her chair, slate grey dress swishing pleasantly behind her. Not needing to follow the bellboy, she went straight to the courtesy phones and picked one up. "Marie," She spoke pleasantly, Marie was the only one who called her. Esfir had mentioned the hotels phones to her and gave her the number then instantly regretted it. She hadn't made anyone else aware of the phones since. "How are you dear? I heard we were getting new members today!"
Shagranoz Shagranoz J Johannes

Turg smiled when yet another new comer showed her face. "Why hello there miss, I am Turg, newest member of this little coven. And the demon behind me-" At that point Imply wadled his fat self forward and smiled. "Hey toots I'm Imply the imp and the tall creepy dude is my boss." Turg looked at the little Imp then sighed. "Sorry about that Imply here is a bit rude but otherwise a gentledemon."
CelticSol CelticSol

"Indeed, we've picked up two new witches." Marie always felt uncomfortable talking to Esfir. She suspected the necromancer had done... something to herself, but she didn't have a smoking gun yet, nor did she have any clue what that something might be. "A rune witch, and a demon summoner."

"Listen, Esfir. I'm calling a meeting for tomorrow night; the whole coven needs to come. There's been some disturbing pictures in the newspaper, and I need to get everyone in one place so we can discuss it. Tell me, Esfir... what do you know about werewolves?"

“Done already Vera? Alright, we’ll need to stop by in Brooklyn before we start if that’s alright.” Hannah called out a goodbye to Marie and the group hustled out into the cold. “You look so lovely Vera,” Maureen said, wrapping her coat tightly around her as a cold wind blew through them. “I hope I can look as sharp as you do tonight...I didn’t have time to do much with myself this morning...oh! You’ll love my brothers...I have half the mind to get you to marry one.” She wiggled her nose teasingly as Hannah scoffed.

“We just met her, Maureen!”

“Oh hush, Hannah. I was only pulling her leg. So, Sasha. What is your...expertise?” They had reached the trolley stop and she was trying to break the icy silence between Hannah and him.
CelticSol CelticSol Necromantic Necromantic

Connor woke to the deep golden light of a sunset in progress coming through the window, and several cats sleeping on top of him. He laid around in bed for a while, since it seemed criminal to disturb the cats, but finally decided he had too many things to do tonight, and got up. Most of the cats followed him back into the kitchen, meowing at him to be fed, and Connor obliged them.
It was difficult to tell if Helen was already up, or if she'd stay in bed longer, but Connor made enough coffee for two, just in case, and then took his cup out into the garden.
Once, Connor thought, the gardens must have been very impressive. They were still, but Helen wasn't much for things that didn't run on oil or grease or gumption, so it was a little wild and overgrown. It suited her better, Connor thought.

Last edited:
Esfir sensed Marie's discomfort to some level. She wasn't completely sure of course, she was better at facial expressions, not tones. Ugh, she still loathed the telephone. What she heard next though was even more interesting. A rune mage was one thing, she had known a few in her long years and found they were usually friendlier types. If a bit grim. The demon summoner though... that worried her. Hypocritical as it was, she disliked people that practiced the darker magics. At least the dead were bound to listen to you, demons were dangerous loose canons. Bound to explode in the witch's face at any moment. She would have to keep her eyes on this mysterious summoner. She listened quietly for a moment then answered Marie's question.
"I cannot claim expertise but I know a fair amount," She started cautiously, "They're territorial, that may need to be are focus. With such blatant exposure I assume that they're new to New York, and haven't gotten the lay of the land. Do you know of anything that would've made them move?"

( Necromantic Necromantic , Maxilgal Maxilgal , fuil fuil )

"Oh, that's alright! I'm sure he means no harm by it," The group seems to gravitate towards the door, and Vera buttons up her coat, a cue she is dismissing herself, looking to the newcomers with a warm smile, "Well, Mr. Turg, Mr. Imply, it seems that I'm leaving. It was a pleasure to make your acquaintance, and I'm sure we will meet again soon," She calls to where Marie had walked to, cupping her hands around her mouth to further carry her voice, "Bye, Marie!"

She closes the door behind her, having been the last of their group to step into the January air, her breath forming into wisping clouds in the frigid outdoors. As Maureen compliments her, her cheeks redden - though whether that flattery or the cold is not certain - and she bats Maureen's shoulder playfully, "Oh, nonsense! You're lovely as you are, Maureen. You don't need to do a thing," When Hannah brings up marriage, Vera laughs, though more colour has flooded her cheeks, "Well, we'll have to see about that. Maybe one of them will sweep me off my feet, hm?"

She turns behind her to Sasha as Hannah speaks to him, and realizes a bit belatedly she had left him walking alone, having taken up a spot beside Maureen. Vera adjusts herself to include Sasha in the loose circle they've formed as they wait for the trolley. Sasha lives in the house with her and Marie, so she should get to know him better, and try to get along. Not that she thought that would be a problem - he seems to be a kind man, if a bit soft-spoken. Though she wishes to speak with him as well, she looks at Hannah a bit strangely, realizing she hadn't really understood what the question actually means.

She tilts her head, eyebrow raising ever so slightly, "'Expertise'?"

[color= yellow].... Expertise?[/color]​

[color= purple]"SASHA GET YOUR ASS BACK IN THAT ROOM, LET ME RIP HER GUTS DIRECTLY OUT OF HER BODY, I'M GONNA FUCKING KILL-"[/color]

The noise of the busy street made it easier to drown out Ezekiel's incessant screaming in his head. It was a headache, but the demon was a headache that he could (and had to) deal with. He would calm down sooner or later, Sasha was sure of that. By the time they once again saw Marie, he wouldn't even care about her comment anymore. That was his nature as a demon; his rage burned like a fire- hot and quickly.

[color= #e5e500]"... Expertise?"[/color] Sasha repeated after Maureen. What was that... supposed to mean? Was she talking about what he did best? That had to be it. Unless she was talking about his job, in which case she was definitely asking in the wrong way. [color= #e5e500]"Divination. You know, tea leaves, palm readings, tarot cards,"[/color] If what he did was anything else, he would've found a better wording. Normal people would pay fakes to "read their fortune" though, so he had no opposition to telling her precisely what he did. Among the forms of witchcraft, divination was relatively socially acceptable. [color= #e5e500]"I read people's fortune."[/color]

Did he really want to ask Maureen what she did? Well, she had asked what he did, so he supposed that it would be polite... Despite the fact that he didn't actually care what she did in the slightest. [color= #e5e500]"What do you do, Maureen? I didn't hear you say it earlier, but I'm sure it's far more interesting than what I do."[/color] That was true enough. He might have been a fantastic fortune teller, but he always felt that the other specialties of magic were far more interesting. Why couldn't he have been pyrokinetic or something like that?

Sasha de Vries

Important actions

TBA

mentions

“Magic…” she whispered into Vera’s ear. Maureen smiled and nodded, listening to what Sasha was saying. “It’s often in bad taste to talk about...well...you know...in public. May cause some unwanted head turns.” The trolley rolled to a slow stop and the group boarded. Luckily, it was fairly empty at this point of the day. Right before most shifts got off of work. She leaned past Vera and started whispering to their little huddle. Hannah merely turned away and interested herself with the rest of the paper Marie hadn’t snatched away. Maureen stuck her tongue out playfully at her sister and returned her focus to Sasha. “Oh! Wonderful. I think that line of work is very interesting! My Aunt Caroline’s grandmother was a divinator. Very famous in Ireland. Me? Runic magic. A little simple for some people’s tastes but it is quite difficult working out the writing just right.” She stopped as a man sat down next to them, and she quickly changed to a more normal topic. “Well, there’ll be time for talk at the house. Oh, I hope it isn’t too messy. You know we do have extra space, if you wish to stay the night. I don’t know how late we’ll be out, and I’d hate you running about in the dark.”
( Necromantic Necromantic CelticSol CelticSol )

"Not sure what could have done it. I know some like to hunt in their wolf forms, so maybe in their case it's a lack of prey, but I just can't say with certainty." Marie's voice got fairly wistful. "We could really use you here full-time, Esfir. You're the most powerful witch I've ever met, and your knowledge far outstrips mine. Besides, you'd like the place; it's dead quiet." Sure, that wasn't exactly true, but necromancer jokes were just too easy to pass up.

Helen had taken up residence in the top of the mansion's tower since she was eight- first as a play room- then as her secret workshop and then as her studio and now it was simply her room. It was round and full of sunlight and french dressing screens, baroque boudoirs, and a tall oval Italian standing mirror. There was a a bust of pallas athena and one of her dresses was thrown hap-hazardously over it, a forgery of one of Picasso's blue era works hung over her bed- which was scandalously on the floor but draped in fabric like a prop out of a midsummers night dream.
She laid, covered entirely in cats, and enjoyed the sunshine, she lit a cigarette and used a long cigarette holder and watched the smoke make patterns against the peeked roof.
"Why aren't you complaining?" She asked the cats, who were curled contentedly in the sun instead of papping her face and mewling like small demons. She remembered Connor had staid over- he was the kind that would feed the cats. She snuck out of bed- careful not to disturb the cats and slunk down the long spiral staircase, across the crooked hallway with the uneven floor board she always tripped on and down the servant stairs into the kitchen.
The cats appeared to have been fed- fed a little too much even. She sighed. And moved barefoot down the halls. There was no sign of Connor in the sunflower room, or the blue room, or the big parlor with the taxidermy lion.
She turned on the big radio in the parlor and it crackled to life.
"Matilde?" She asked it, "Is Mr. Murphy still in the house?"
The voice crackled in with a low smooth french accent, "Non, monsieur Murphy is in the garden."
"Thank you, Matilde," She said and turned off the radio. She buttoned up her black bathrobe- because going outside somehow imbued her with slightly more morals and tip toed through the house and out the back door.
"Connor? Tiger, you back here?" She called.
She found him standing ominously in a thicket patch, that had maybe once been vegetable garden holding four zucchini's the size of a small dog or infant.
"Lord no. Put those gourds back where Satan found them!"

Last edited:
Connor hefted the zucchinis, trying not to drop them. "Are you kidding? These could feed a family of six for a month! I'm keeping them." It was mostly impressive that they were alive at all, never mind how big they were. "I'll bring you some of the inevitable zucchini bread once my ma gets a hold of them." There were more squashes in the garden, and he told them, "I'll be back for you," before carrying the zucchinis in his arms to his car. "Do you wanna help me be naughty and run rum and then get drunk?"

She half sighed half rolled her eyes and the mostly laughed. Another part of her mind promptly informed her that she would never eat all of the promised zucchini bread- she would have to suffer zucchini bread hell. She accepted this fate.
She followed after him like a wayward crow- feigning interest in this and that, refusing to give him her full attention. The garden really was over grown, and when she really looked there were whirlygigs and blackberry bushes she'd entirely forgotten- and would probably stay that way. it made prowling around it more interesting. She considered doing more metal sculptures- she had a welding helmet and the tangle could use some more artistic direction.
She started to shiver it was more than a bit too cold to be out in a bathrobe alone. She took a deep breath and as she released it imagined her breath was the steam of a hot engine- willed it until she felt her insides and toes fill up with warmth and the taste of magic like stale brown sugar and rain stuck to the back of her throat.
"Are we going to run the good rum or drink the good rum?" She asked seriously.
Connor's car was riddled with a sad number of holes and she remembered that he had asked her take a look at them. It wouldn't have been hard to repair them the manual way in the shop, but it was easy enough- especially since she'd already pooled enough manna in her chest to keep warm- to lay the spell on her fingers with a kiss and press them to each hole. The car metal beneath her fingers looked cherry hot as each bullet hole sealed close. She had to re-kiss her fingers a couple times but metal had a habit of being a good listener to her.
"You might want to get a paint touch up," She said, since illusioning the paint color back over the repaired metal was something she didn't have the patience for just then.

"Both," Connor said, half inside of the car, depositing the zucchini wherever there was room around the crates of liquor. "I only deal with the good stuff if I can help it. I have a reputation," he added. He leaned back out of it in time to see Helen start kissing his car better, and he watched with a touch of jealousy. He liked the magic that he did, but sometimes his alchemy felt fairly useless. He wished sometimes that he could fix things with only a kiss or a touch.
"I can do that easy," he replied, touching an unpainted circle that used to be a hole. "Thank you." He settled against the driver's side door and fished a cigarette out from his pocket. "So? You want to come start a party?"

"I should put on pants," She said, "Or not?" She added devilishly and then looked like she had regrets, "the answer is yes, and also wait here for me."
She slipped back through the garden and into the kitchen door, stepped over the cats and up the back stairs. She dressed and packed a side satchel with a tube of red lipstick, a jam jar full of shadows, a collapsible antenna that did nicely as a wand, and a woven charm for hiding she'd been given as a gift.
She hurried back downstairs, pulled her little Beretta out of its hiding place inside the cookie jar and slid into Connor's Chrysler, breeches, boots, fedora and all.
"Glad you already fed the cats," She said, using his side mirror to put on her lipstick.

"I can't not feed them," Connor said, starting the car. Girls ought to wear pants more, he thought. They looked very, very good in them general, and Helen in particular. "They look at me with those big eyes and meow at me. What else is a man supposed to do?" He turned around and started back out of Helen's and into town.
With the sun still out, even if only a little, and Helen in his car, Connor looked less suspiciously like a bootlegger, probably. They got to the speakeasy without incident anyway. Connor slithered out of the front seat to help unload. "You can head up," he told Helen. There was a password to get in, but everybody should have known Helen by now, and he figured she knew it anyway. "We'll only be a minute or two."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back