• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Realistic or Modern Grunge - An Extraordinary World of Ordinary People (Cancelled/Being Reworked)

Lord Moldoma

Professional Sweetypie
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)

“Jungula is a city where nothing extraordinary ever happens…”​

If a normal person wakes up in the town of Jungula, It’s easy enough to get out of bed, eat breakfast, and get out the door. Most people just go about their daily quotidian. Riding the tram to their boring job and then going back home for the day. Occasionally you’d have to move offices, hotelling, because some martial artist and a cyborg got into a fight, and one sent the other flying through a wall. But it’s not anything unusual to have the windows of an entire city block blown out every few months.

Frankly, most people are just unremarkable. And because of that, Jungula is, majority, a city where nothing extraordinary ever happens.

The world of martial arts? Cybernetic battle enhancements? Psychic powers? Even vampires? Why would anyone care about that, we’re all just working ‘til the weekend.

That’s why Jungula is a city where nothing extraordinary happens. It’s just too much work for most people to get involved in that sort of stuff. Sometimes as a hobby or a sport you’d play in school, but solemn few people make money by becoming a powerful fighter. You generally just get a job, and maybe fight on the weekends.

If you go to the grocery store, it wouldn’t be weird for your cashier to have a cybernetic arm with an oversized cannon on it. This is just her day job. She’s probably really impressive in combat or something, but you've both got student loans to pay, so why would you bother asking?

Premise:

Grunge is a mostly-light-hearted setting based on urban battle series such as Scott Pilgrim: Vs The World, FLCL, Mob Psycho 100, One Punch Man, and Grappler Baki. The globally-spanning and commonplace nature of the supernatural in Grunge leads to it simply being accepted by the public.

It’s common knowledge that humans can train their bodies to stop earthquakes with punches, or gain psychic powers able to lift buildings. Hell, some people can be born doing that right out of the womb. It’s just that, when anyone can be very powerful with hard work or in born talent, and everyone is at least a little powerful, nobody really gives a shit.

Grunge is meant to replicate that feel of surrealness that urban battle has. There aren’t any evil religious cults, or evil geniuses seeking world domination, at least, not any more than are present in our own world.

Though Grunge is a world where power and battle abilities aren’t the basis for society (unlike Ie; My Hero Academia) They also aren’t really taboo either. People just accept that they exist and go on with their lives.

There are institutions that have capitalized on the market, and combat sports are likened to football or major league gaming in our world. But most people only really do it as a hobby if they even get involved in it at all. Schools will often have physical education electives or physical education programs that include combat sports as the most prevalent options. Some schools even require them to be taken.

But overall, whenever something like a lizard-man looking mutant and a cyborg get in a battle in the street, it’s generally not something to call the cops over, because that’s not a disaster, that’s just Tuesday.

I'm looking for players who'd be interested in running what is essentially a beta-test of the ideas for Grunge, before I invest a lot of time and effort into it. I have a few things lined up for plot ideas, but more or less I just want to see if it'd be an interesting concept or if I should rework it.

Grunge is actually based on an unpublished self-made pen and paper RPG that I made called Delux. Though it was never finished as I lost interest in tabletop/pen and paper roleplaying.

This sounds really fun. Count me in.
Oh! I’m glad you’re interested.

It’s been a personal project of mine for a long while, and I’ve always wanted to do something that had a more modern “light industrial” and “grunge-y” early 2000s feel.

Something that can help me recapture the feeling I get whenever i go to downtown metropolitan Dallas (mainly Deep Ellum.)

FLCL was a big part of my childhood. I think it’s what spurred me on to start working on the setting initially. Scott Pilgrim was what gave me the ideas I needed to actually put it into practice.

I want to have the sort of lazy but light hearted, college town feel of something like Clerks, Scott Pilgrim, or Digital Pirates of the Dark Water Saga, but urban fantasy.

A bunch of losers who just so happen to be able to do some crazy “5th season of an anime” sort of bullshit.

I’ve always loved the idea of a broken masquerade scenario where the world of the supernatural was revealed to be all around us. But that everyone was like “that’s cool and all, but my shift starts at 8:00 tomorrow…”

If it was revealed that aliens or vampires existed, it wouldn’t be a big shocker, because they’d probably just be people too. And we’d all go on with our lives.

It’s meant to deny the archetypes of characters like Shigaraki Tomura from MHA because those kinds of people would inevitably be kept in check by someone stronger. And beyond that they’re just melodramatic as all hell, and real people aren’t like that.

It’s sort of an anti-edge anti-grit setting. But it’s more self aware than something like teen wolf, twilight, or any other bland young adult fiction.

It’s always nice to hear that someone else is interested in the setting!

Last edited:
I've been playing Blue Archive lately and am rather bemused by the aspect of the setting where large scale battles can be a part of everyday life because people can shrug off damage easily.

That or things like Street Fighter or Tekken where some people greet their friends with a flaming dragon punch.

I might want to be a part of this.

I've been playing Blue Archive lately and am rather bemused by the aspect of the setting where large scale battles can be a part of everyday life because people can shrug off damage easily.

That or things like Street Fighter or Tekken where some people greet their friends with a flaming dragon punch.

I might want to be a part of this.
I actually had an idea not too dissimilar to what I’ve heard of Blue Archive for an alternate universe spin-off of Grunge, called Lipstick Academy. It’d have that more Japanese sukeban battleschool feel, sort of like the mha rivalry between Yuuei and Honnouji, or the school raids arc from Kill La Kill. But that project is pretty far off.

Either way I’d love to have you join!

I would like to be a gas station attendant (you know the shitty one of the edge of town) where weird things happen

Lord Moldoma Lord Moldoma figured I'd run this by you before anyone starts to make a CS or whatever. Was thinking about playing something a bit far out,namely a former combat android that was involuntarily given personhood after being discharged,implanted with a volunteer brain,and obligated to get a university degree in the city of Jungula in order to become a full citizen.

Does that sound like it fits?

Lord Moldoma Lord Moldoma figured I'd run this by you before anyone starts to make a CS or whatever. Was thinking about playing something a bit far out,namely a former combat android that was involuntarily given personhood after being discharged,implanted with a volunteer brain,and obligated to get a university degree in the city of Jungula in order to become a full citizen.

Does that sound like it fits?
Yes. That fits fine!

“Jungula is a city where nothing extraordinary ever happens…”​

If a normal person wakes up in the town of Jungula, It’s easy enough to get out of bed, eat breakfast, and get out the door. Most people just go about their daily quotidian. Riding the tram to their boring job and then going back home for the day. Occasionally you’d have to move offices, hotelling, because some martial artist and a cyborg got into a fight, and one sent the other flying through a wall. But it’s not anything unusual to have the windows of an entire city block blown out every few months.

Frankly, most people are just unremarkable. And because of that, Jungula is, majority, a city where nothing extraordinary ever happens.

The world of martial arts? Cybernetic battle enhancements? Psychic powers? Even vampires? Why would anyone care about that, we’re all just working ‘til the weekend.

That’s why Jungula is a city where nothing extraordinary happens. It’s just too much work for most people to get involved in that sort of stuff. Sometimes as a hobby or a sport you’d play in school, but solemn few people make money by becoming a powerful fighter. You generally just get a job, and maybe fight on the weekends.

If you go to the grocery store, it wouldn’t be weird for your cashier to have a cybernetic arm with an oversized cannon on it. This is just her day job. She’s probably really impressive in combat or something, but you've both got student loans to pay, so why would you bother asking?

Premise:

Grunge is a mostly-light-hearted setting based on urban battle series such as Scott Pilgrim: Vs The World, FLCL, Mob Psycho 100, One Punch Man, and Grappler Baki. The globally-spanning and commonplace nature of the supernatural in Grunge leads to it simply being accepted by the public.

It’s common knowledge that humans can train their bodies to stop earthquakes with punches, or gain psychic powers able to lift buildings. Hell, some people can be born doing that right out of the womb. It’s just that, when anyone can be very powerful with hard work or in born talent, and everyone is at least a little powerful, nobody really gives a shit.

Grunge is meant to replicate that feel of surrealness that urban battle has. There aren’t any evil religious cults, or evil geniuses seeking world domination, at least, not any more than are present in our own world.

Though Grunge is a world where power and battle abilities aren’t the basis for society (unlike Ie; My Hero Academia) They also aren’t really taboo either. People just accept that they exist and go on with their lives.

There are institutions that have capitalized on the market, and combat sports are likened to football or major league gaming in our world. But most people only really do it as a hobby if they even get involved in it at all. Schools will often have physical education electives or physical education programs that include combat sports as the most prevalent options. Some schools even require them to be taken.

But overall, whenever something like a lizard-man looking mutant and a cyborg get in a battle in the street, it’s generally not something to call the cops over, because that’s not a disaster, that’s just Tuesday.

I'm looking for players who'd be interested in running what is essentially a beta-test of the ideas for Grunge, before I invest a lot of time and effort into it. I have a few things lined up for plot ideas, but more or less I just want to see if it'd be an interesting concept or if I should rework it.

Grunge is actually based on an unpublished self-made pen and paper RPG that I made called Delux. Though it was never finished as I lost interest in tabletop/pen and paper roleplaying.
I’d be interested in trying this out. I’ve only read a little of Scott Pilgrim and watched the movie, and I’ve never heard the other sources you listed, but I do enjoy Mob Psycho, and I think I understand the setting you’re going for.

I’d be interested in trying this out. I’ve only read a little of Scott Pilgrim and watched the movie, and I’ve never heard the other sources you listed, but I do enjoy Mob Psycho, and I think I understand the setting you’re going for.
Oh! That's wonderful! I'm so glad you're interested!

Sounds cool still got room?
Of course! That brings us to 8 counting me
i'd love to take part, given that there is still room.
You're number 9 counting me, so there's still room!
Hi!!

Interested! Just gunna wait to see OOC and lore for this world before committing k?
I'll reserve a spot for you!

That officially brings us to a close! We're at 10 players, which I think is really all I can handle! Thank you all so much for your interest! I'll get to making the lore and OOC pages soon!

You're number 9 counting me, so there's still room!
instantly had an idea that i want to run by you. would someone like a retired "supervillain"-esque guy fit in? maybe he's a local necromancer turned doctor, maybe he's someone else. the concept is still hazy so it depends entirely on your response.

instantly had an idea that i want to run by you. would someone like a retired "supervillain"-esque guy fit in? maybe he's a local necromancer turned doctor, maybe he's someone else. the concept is still hazy so it depends entirely on your response.
A retired supervillain is exactly the kind of character that would fit this setting. Especially because, you can't really make a living being a supervillain, so it was probably just a mistake of his younger years.

Many people who grow up not understanding how the world works, or going to school/living in battle-academy towns (sort of like college towns but with the honnoji academy aesthetic?) try to bring their experiences into the real world, only to recognize that they're not really that special just because of their powers.

Some people deny it at first and take on the roles of supervillains, or superheroes, but it's all considered kind of immature, and nobody really takes them seriously. If someone were a serious threat, they'd probably be dealt with by the actual authorities, or just by the sheer bad luck of pissing off the wrong person and getting the life nearly knocked out of them.

Oh, that's another neat thing about the setting. There's a sort of division in what the authorities actually do, the police are mainly for petty disputes, and while they're well armed, in power related incidents, the "The military is useless" trope applies. The thing is that, the government realized this, so they thought "Okay, well, if hiring a well disciplined police force isn't working for power related incidents, why not just hire people who have powers and train them to deal with those threats?" So there's the Police and then there are "catastrophic incident response teams" who are sent to deal with anyone who goes full "Bad Touch Man" on the world.

But it goes back to the fact that, most incidents don't even really get reported, since Supervillains and Superheroes is an almost-chunni concept.

The more mature variant is the sub-community who's basically coming up with long ARG narratives by meeting up and essentially Larping with each-other, but with real powers thrown into the mix.

Those people aren't chunnis, but they are nerds.

k you gots sooooo many references and terms idk most of what you're on about lol. Feelin like its all over my head so just gunna withdraw interest

Users who are viewing this thread

Back