Food Group Therapy for Food Traumas

How bad was your food trauma?

• IT WAS LIFE THREATENINGLY TERRIBLE

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meh... just sorta there.

• I don't wanna talk about it...

• Makes me wanna gag when I think about it...

• IT WAS THE WORST DAY OF MY LIFE.

• Eh. It was nothing, really.

• Total voters
Food traumas. Memories that have forever scarred us to the point of us not eating that particular food. (Yes, I just made that definition up, shhhh). Do you have any food traumas or bad memories associated with a particular form of food? If so, please share! I would love to know if I'm not the only one with a food trauma.

Even if it's as simple as a bad memory if trying to (and failing) cook a meal and it turns out horribly, and you no longer want to try to cook it or eat it, I would love to read it! Maybe you had a bad experience, say, at a restaurant and refuse to eat at that restaurant. Basically, you can share any stories here so long as it relates to a bad memory of food, no matter how small or large the "trauma" was.

To kick this off, here's mine!

Keep in mind this story took place when I was about seven years old. One night, I was laying in bed with a furocious fever watching Spongebob while sucking on a Otterpop (not sure if these are in only Arizona, USA or not), which basically is an ice flavored pop wrapped in plastic. Anyways, my mom told me I needed to eat something if I wanted to get better, and I told her I wanted Fruit Loops. With the exception of having the Fruit Loops with milk, I was permitted to eat such a cereal. *shudders* I ate a whole bowl of the Fruit Loops, drank the milk, and laid back down. An hour later, I had the urge to throw up. Being the seven year old I am, I cried, and threw up. Some would think that I would hate Fruit Loops after throwing them up so violently. *whispers* No. The milk scarred me. I won't go into detail, but... to this day, I refuse to drink milk. The end.

I know. I have amazing story telling skills, obviously.

(Before anyone takes that seriously, I was being sarcastic... I know, it was so funny, you just forgot to laugh).

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha! xD Food traumas! I like you!

Ah.. well.. there were two times, and strangely both of them having to do with Mexican food, but I still love Mexican food. I can still tell this story, right?! D:

I'll tell you the shorter one first, it's shorter because I don't remember much. I remember feeling really really icky while we were out of the house and we hadn't eaten breakfast, so we went to this Mexican place and got a breakfast burrito. I took one bite and threw up, I was just feeling so terrible. Now whenever I hear 'Breakfast Burrito' I get the chills. I still eat them, though. Takes me a while to get the courage, though, haha. I'm like, is this one is gonna make me sick too? D:

The next one is a bit more gruesome. We had been out all day and I just had a piano class. Me and my dad hadn't had lunch and it was already 4pm. My dad is very good at finding places to eat so he found this really good-looking Mexican place. There was a metal shelf and a window where you ordered - it wasn't open currently, you had to go inside to order. So me, being energetic as crap and thrilled to finally eat, was literally skipping into the restaurant when I bounced into the metal shelf and earned myself a gash in my shoulder. Spent quite a few hours in urgent care only to just have some bandages slapped on. And no Mexican food. ;-; I was soooo hungry.

So, as much as I love Mexican Food.. we've had our troubles together. :x

I was very young. Had beans and weenies and mac and cheese for dinner. Sudden gastroenteritis late at night. 'Nuff said. I was still able to eat them, though.

My severely autistic sister had traveler's diarrhea at a young age. She ate lasagna and got violently ill. Now she has a meltdown whenever she was served with lasagna. And you know what's the worst part? Mom used to make lasagna for the whole family before the incident. Now she can't make it anymore because my sister refuses to eat it and being autistic, she will scream out how much she hates it and have a meltdown until we take it and throw it away!

EvergreenCat said:
I was very young. Had beans and weenies and mac and cheese for dinner. Sudden gastroenteritis late at night. 'Nuff said. I was still able to eat them, though.
My severely autistic sister had traveler's diarrhea at a young age. She ate lasagna and got violently ill. Now she has a meltdown whenever she was served with lasagna. And you know what's the worst part? Mom used to make lasagna for the whole family before the incident. Now she can't make it anymore because my sister refuses to eat it and being autistic, she will scream out how much she hates it and have a meltdown until we take it and throw it away!
No lasagna?! That's really ... my condolences, brethren.

-

I'm not sure if I was schizophrenic as a kid or what, but I remember my dad bringing home a jackfruit and we were happily having some together. And then he said he had to answer the phone call, so like the good kid I was, I sat on the floor with the fruit half open, waiting for my dad. And then something blue crawled out from it. I still remember how it looks like. Orange and blue and very, very suspiciously like a caterpillar or grub. I screamed and backed all the way to the wall and danced around on fearful toes 'cause it was coming towards me, and then I used the newspaper stacked nearby to swat it under a couch.

When my dad came back, and I told him about it, and he moved the furniture, the bloody demon from hell was gone. Christ, I still can't take jackfruits these days, and that was over ten years ago. (wow tym fliez)

Oh, and caterpillars. But I don't eat them. I'm looking at you, childish boys!

I'm laughing so hard at all the food traumas. Is that bad to laugh at other's suffering? I'm just a horrible person. Oh well. At least I have a good laugh about it. Anyways, thanks for all the entertaining (and heartbreaking) stories! Keep 'em coming! Sorry I haven't responded to this; darn notifications hate my guts, I'm convinced.

@CloudyBlueDay Oh no. You poor, poor soul. No one should go through that at such a young age. I know how you feel; I don't even have the courage to drink milk again after my food trauma, so props to you, you brave soul! I think you deserve a round of applause after what you and delicious Mexican food have gone through. Quite honestly, I wouldn't dare even glimpse at a breakfast burrito, or even Mexican food in general after you went to urgent care. Though, personally, I've never had to go to the hospital for anything (I've never even broken a bone), so again, props to you! *claps dramatically*

@EvergreenCat *gasp* Beans and mac and cheese!? I'm so sorry. Those things are like, my favorite foods. Especially mac and cheese. I would cry if I ever have a food trauma involving mac and cheese; it's simply too divine and delicious for anyone to have a food trauma with, especially when it's homemade. As for what happened with lasagna... you poor, poor soul. That's just terrible. I think you deserve a hug. *hugs for a drastically long time*

@Mugcake Jackfruit... that sounds and looks really exotic to me. I'm curious; where is this fruit normally consumed? I've never heard of it until you mentioned it, let alone even tried it myself. Anyways, OH MY GOD. THAT SOUNDS TERRIFYING. *squirms in seat* EWW. God. Sorry about my overreaction. xD I just HATE bugs in food. This reminds me of another (smallish) food trauma I've had. I'll post it below. But I just wanna hug you now. Can we all show our love and support for this poor girl, guys? *group hug*

And now, continuing another food trauma of mine... *shudders*

A few months ago, my mom brought groceries home from the store. Knowing me, my mom had gotten me my favorite berries; raspberries. Once a upon a time, I had fallen in love with the cute little red berries, and eaten them whenever I had gotten the chance. I opened the small pack of the raspberries, and done what I've always done. I grabbed a handful, put them in a small container, walked over to the sink, and washed them thoroughly for a good two minutes. Shortly after drying them off gently with a towel, I popped a few in my mouth and didn't think much of anything. As I'm reaching for another raspberry, I just happen to glance down, and catch a glimpse of something... moving. I inspect the berry closely, and I see it... a worm. I scream, fling the berry into the sink, and stare at the berry for a good minute. The worm had been a pale shade of yellow, and was crawling inside the raspberry. To this day, I refuse to eat raspberries.

A few months ago, my mom brought groceries home from the store. Knowing me, my mom had gotten me my favorite berries; raspberries. Once a upon a time, I had fallen in love with the cute little red berries, and eaten them whenever I had gotten the chance. I opened the small pack of the raspberries, and done what I've always done. I grabbed a handful, put them in a small container, walked over to the sink, and washed them thoroughly for a good two minutes. Shortly after drying them off gently with a towel, I popped a few in my mouth and didn't think much of anything. As I'm reaching for another raspberry, I just happen to glance down, and catch a glimpse of something... moving. I inspect the berry closely, and I see it... a worm. I scream, fling the berry into the sink, and stare at the berry for a good minute. The worm had been a pale shade of yellow, and was crawling inside the raspberry. To this day, I refuse to eat raspberries.
I once bit into a water apple and, instead of see, felt, lifeform in my mouth. No, I'm still traumatised. Welcome to the club, bby.

Nature is a lady to be reckoned with.

hugging_animals_21.jpg

Ah, yeah. I've never broken a bone either but I have my fair share of scars. xD I love my scars though! They make me me.

OH MY GOD NOT RASPBERRIES!!! RASPBERRIES ARE MY FAVORITEEEEE I'M SO SORRY

That hug. <3

@CloudyBlueDay

xD I love my scars, too! To me, I view scars as like souvenirs from the past (really cheesy, but whatever); they each have their own story, and they make each individual even more unique.

RASPBERRIES WERE MY BAES! D: But then... then the worm took them away from them. ;o;

I think everyone should get hugs. :3

@Lady Odyssey

I'm sorry to hear that you don't like raspberries anymore because of a single worm. :( Maybe if you're feeling up to it, you could at least try to rekindle your relationship with them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back