• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Ghost Airship: Chapter 1 of My RP World, Deathless

Latyon

Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
It's hard to feel like it isn't the end of the world.

Spring has arrived after a relentless decade of winter, but its horrible effects have left a lasting mark on the residents of the usually-temperate planet Vechern. Worse still, there are rumblings that the current spring is an illusion and that the winter will return.

In the industrialized nation of Skene, the worst ravages of famine have been held off, but the situation grows more dire every day. In a fit of desperation - or some would claim, inspiration - the Skenian military, in collaboration with society's most brilliant minds, launched an expedition in search of fertile, unexplored lands.

Vechern.png
Artist's interpretation of the geography of Vechern

At the center of the world lies Land's End, where the world seems to vanish behind a thick, impenetrable wall of storms the size so vast that it has yet to be properly mapped. The maelstrom has existed as long as anybody could remember - as long as anybody who has ever remembered could remember. Its presence can be traced back hundreds of thousands of years, to the earliest annals of recorded time - many would call it eternal.

To date, no one who has crossed into the maelstrom has ever returned.

You can tell where this is headed.

The Overture is an airship with a capacity of 200 souls, one of three ships sent by the Skenian Navy into the maelstrom. You are one of these souls.

As the Overture crosses the threshold into the storm, its fate, along with those of the 200 souls on board, is sealed. And as these souls are about to discover - there's more to worry about in those clouds than high winds.

This is the first RP in the Deathless series by me. If it catches on, who knows.

Who Are You?

You're hungry.

Gods, you're hungry.

It's hard to understand hunger if you've never gone through it. Intense hunger infiltrates every facet of the mind, a persistent force that consumes thoughts and steers actions. It evolves into an all-encompassing obsession, eclipsing all other concerns. The relentless ache reverberates through the body, becoming a constant reminder that the pursuit of sustenance is the sole purpose. Famine's true hunger extends beyond the temporary discomfort of missed meals, eroding the boundaries between physical and mental realms. In the throes of deprivation, hunger devours not just the body but the mind, distorting perception and eclipsing reason.

Though you may not consider yourself fortunate, you're a lot better off as a citizen of Skene than you are elsewhere in the world. Food is meager - but it does exist. You arrive before sunrise every day at the airfield for a loaf of bread and a cut of meat - but one day, the routine is interrupted when a pair of gruff sailors picks you out of the bread line and brings you before Admiral Guinevere Navarro.

The admiral is young and intense, with wavy blonde hair pulled tight to her head in a no-nonsense bun. She calls you by name and reads off a file: your birthday and your name day, your height, your humour profile where applicable. She praises your skills, whatever they be, and then she makes you an offer.

The journey of a lifetime. The chance to make your mark in history as one of the first to travel beyond Land's End and to live to tell the tale. Your claim of lands waiting to be discovered and all the riches that entails, and three hot meals a day.

It sounds too good to be true.

THREE meals?

Making Your Character

Due to the nature of its place in the cosmos, Vechern experiences geologically frequent extinction-level impact events. This has led to incredibly fast speciation. Some common species include homids (humans), elfid (elflike), dwarvid (you get the picture). Perhaps the largest population on the planet are the vod, ocean-dwellers who cannot survive for very long on land; vod characters are currently restricted, on account of the nature of the RP mission.

If you want to be an elf or a catlady or a golem or whatever - just let me know and I'm sure we can find a way to work it into the world.

Really the only requirements are that your character's history explains why they ended up chosen for the Overture. Bear in mind - there's always potential for things like killing someone and stealing their pass, or using a false identity to gain access.

There are 200 people aboard the Overture. Many of them are in the Skenian military under direct command of Admiral Navarro, but there are also many civilians on board. Skilled laborers of all kinds were sought for this journey, for the goal in the end is to establish a colony. If you can think of a reason for your character to be on the ship, chances are it'll work just fine.

The Fleet

Three ships make up the mission. The first and the largest ship is the Overture (capacity: 200), where the story begins. The other two ships can be developed as the story progresses - feel free to contribute your ideas.

The Maelstrom

At the horizon, one spots its clouds rising up seemingly from beneath the ocean and stretching as far into the sky as they eyes could see. Its dense, thick walls churn and spin like the raging gas clouds of Jupiter, a mixture of deep grays and blacks and purples that triggers the call of the void in any who lay eyes on it. Sailing into the maelstrom is impossible, as the ocean itself appears to drop off before the cloud wall begins, a massive waterfall pouring into a seemingly infinite abyss. Until the invention of airships, crossing the maelstrom was deemed impossible; however, research indicates that pressure differences very high up within the storm may result in conditions mild enough for passage. It is this information that leads to the formation of the expedition.

As
the expedition will discover, things don't work the same way inside the maelstrom as they do in the regular world. Time and space occasionally suffer peculiar violations.

Tech Level: WW1, industrialized magical

RULES

1. Be kind.
2. Don't be unkind.

That's it! You guys are adults, I imagine, and it isn't our first rodeo. Standard RP shit. The goal is fun and to explore a fantastical new world, and to have fun playing off of each other's ideas.

Last edited:
Ooh, interesting!Put me down for a slot, maybe two.

Rad! I'm adding more to the OP as I write it out, feel free to contribute your own ideas as well!

Okay!Let me see if anyone would like to join.

Hi!!

You said CatLady?!

K sooooo like what is the tech level of this world?

Interested BUT!! Will wait to see rules first

Ask me more! Do you guys wanna workshop it in here, or should I just write out the first post and we'll take it running?

Let me in. Let me iiiinnn!

Very much down for something like this setting! Also standing by for any world building assistance that may be needed.

Super interested! Still taking people on?

Alright, nice to know
Ask me more! Do you guys wanna workshop it in here, or should I just write out the first post and we'll take it running?
I'm currently thinking up a few monsters and stuff, along with like three characters, but, i'd rather workshop this for a while, maybe a day or more, see if some others would like to join.

I think I may be interested as well. This looks promising.

Rock on, my witchy friend. Feel free to join us in the OOC thread.

WW1 with Magic, Yes I have seen it before:Youjo Senki, and yes, I am Interested

Users who are viewing this thread

Back