Chitchat General Foodie Thread

FathersDislikeMe

Don't Forget to Kill Tim
Hey, all! I like cooking. It's my job, and my hobby.

Figured we needed a general foodie thread. Share experiences, recipes, nutritional facts, etc. Bring me those vegan recipes, too! My vegan playbook is getting a little thin.

I shall open by sharing one of my simplest and favorite recipes.

FDM's Quinoa Salad

- 1/2 C each uncooked quinoa and red quinoa (or 1 C regular quinoa)
- 2 C water
- 1/2 C diced cucumber or zucchini
- 1/2 C diced tomato
- 1 C roughly chopped fresh spinach
- (optional) 1/2 avocado, 1/2" dice
- 1/4 C toasted shaved almonds or pine nuts
- 5-6 large basil leaves (chiffonade them with scissors if you don't have a sharp knife)

- 1 lemon (juice and zest)
- 2 whole garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1/2 t salt
- 1 T olive oil

1.) In a dry saucepan on medium high heat, toast the uncooked quinoa until lightly golden and fragrant (it will smell a little bit nutty).
2.) Add water to saucepan, bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to low. Cook for at least 20 minutes and do not remove the lid until the 20 minute mark.
3.) When quinoa is done, fluff with a fork and pour out onto a plate or sheet pan and cool for at least an hour.
4.) Mix garlic, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt, and oil together. Whisk with fork or whisk until emulsified. Or, if you have a food processor, use that because it's so much easier.
5.) Mix vegetables, basil, nuts, and chilled quinoa together in a bowl. Add the lemon dressing, stir, and let chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to let the flavors marry. Add additional salt and black pepper to taste.

Voila! Quinoa salad. A delicious and healthy snack and side dish. Best thing is, if you don't have the veggies, you can use almost anything else: blanched cauliflower, blanched diced carrots, yellow squash, bell pepper, or even some fruit like apples, pears, and honeydew. This, with some grilled corn on the cob and chicken breast, makes a lovely summer evening meal for you and someone special.

I like to call it "baby makin' food." *bow-chica-wow-wow*

Brioche Sweet Roll Recipe (Skyrim style)
  1. 510 grams all purpose Flour
  2. 60 Grams Granulated Sugar
  3. 14 Grams Active Dry Yeast (10-12 Instant yeast)
  4. 15 Grams Kosher salt
  5. 4 Room Temperature eggs
  6. 2 Unsalted Butter sticks

Instructions:

1. Tiny whisk all powdered ingredients together

2. Add the eggs

3. Mix and knead for 4-6 Minutes

4. Stand mixer running on low afterward

5. Add 2 sticks of room temperature butter (1-2 pieces per 4-8 minutes) mix well with the dough with each piece. Wait till the dough starts scraping the sides of the bowl before adding more butter.

6. Once all butter is mixed in, crank mixer up to medium speed for 5-8 minutes or until it NEARLY cleans the sides of the bowl and it becomes soft and smooth.

7. On an un-floured countertop (Or large cutting board) start rolling it into a smooth taut ball (Smoothest part facing the ceiling and start passing the dough back and forth into your hands pinching the edges against the surface as you go)

8. Once done place it into the bowl, seem side down with plastic wrap over it

9. Leave it for 60-90 minutes or until dough has doubled in size

10. Take dough out of bowl and start folding it to the center on each edge (Recommended to start from the top of the dough) fold for about 6-9 times

11. Repeat the edge pinching technique

12. For better flavor and texture give it 12 to 48 hours in the fridge

13. If you want to make individual rolls, divide it into pieces, butter and flour mini tube pans, divide dough batch into pieces, roll them into a ball, punch a hole in the pieces, then place in the pans with plastic wrap over them at room temperature for 60-90 minutes, poke them and if they don’t rise back up immediately they are good to go in a 375 degree oven for 25-35 minutes, immediately remove from tin afterwards otherwise it will become soggy, wait until they cool completely before frosting, drape glaze on the top and let it run down the rolls.

14. For the Bundt cake, make 2 batches of the dough, pound it into a disc, butter and flour full size tube pan, use biscuit cutter to punch a hole in the middle of dough, place into the tube pan, press down, place plastic wrap over it at room temperature until it has doubled in size, 350 degrees on oven for an hour, make sure internal temperature is 200 degrees, let cool on wire rack for 3 hours, drape frosting on top like with roll instructions

15. Enjoy your cake or rolls!

Frosting Ingredients:

1. 200 grams confectioner sugar
  2. 45 grams low fat milk

1. Tiny whisk all powdered ingredients together

Someone's a Babish fan. :)

His Always Sunny recipes were my favorite. When he made fight milk and riot juice. And an actually edible "milk steak."

Me and some of my kitchen buddies found a steak that was cut 2 oz. under and decided to make milk steak one night after we closed the kitchen (and yes, we were all drunk). It was horrendous.

Ugh, I can imagine, glad to find another babish fan thought, he kinda inspired me to go back to the kitchen and make REAL food instead of just having leftover Mac and cheese night after night.

Sir Fungus Sir Fungus - Dude, that shit'll kill you. Lol. So I worked as a chef instructor for a bit in California, and I taught a lot of nutritional classes. Though I should not be considered a professional, in accordance with RPN rules, I will say that I've found consuming smaller quantities of complex carbs (legumes, grains, sweet potatoes, etc.) has had a great impact on my health.

If you like mac and cheese, though, try cauliflower gratin. Make a basic mac sauce, but use parboiled cauliflower instead of noodles. :)

Thanks a lot for the tip, I’ll make sure to try it out in the future!

Cabbage Enchiladas

ingredients
1 head of cabbage
1 large onion ( I like yellow myself)
1 bell pepper ( I like red or orange to add some color)
2 cloves of crushed or chopped garlic
12 oz of ground beef (after it's been cooked)
2 cups of brown rice (cooked)
3 cups of shredded cheese
1 15oz can of red enchilada sauce
Sour cream
Cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper to taste.

directions
boil cabbage until the leaves are soft
chop the onion and Bell pepper and garlic
preheat oven to 350 degrees
in a large bowl mix your onions, bell pepper, garlic, spices, cooked ground beef, cooked brown rice, half of the cheese. Mix until everything is well combined.
Dish about 2 tablespoon full into a cooked leaf of cabbage then roll up and place into bake dish. repeat until all cabbage leaf as used and the filling is gone.
Spoon the red enchilada sauce over the top. Sprinkle the rest of the cheese over the top.
Cook until everything is well heated and and cheese and nice and melted.
Pull out and let rest for 5 minutes. Then drizzle sour cream over the top

Oh wow. That's actually a damned good recipe.

Sort of a healthier take on sarmales. My grandma used to make sarmales all the time, rest her soul. Of course, in 'Murika, we call them "cabbage rolls."

I'm going to do this. Except I'll probably make my own enchilada sauce and chicken. What kind of cheese? Monterey jack?

Love sweet bell peppers.

FathersDislikeMe FathersDislikeMe

I used a mix of 4 cheeses.
shredded Monterey Jack, Cheddar, Asadero and Queso Quesadilla cheese .
But it comes in the package like that. Mexican Style Four Cheese Blend Shredded Cheese

Yhmera Yhmera

Nice. I'd throw in oaxaca, if I can find it. Live in the country. Kind of hard to find certain ingredients. And that blended cheese ain't bad! I remember blending canned green enchilada sauce, garlic, and jarred jalapenos together, throwing it over eggs and bacon wrapped in a tortilla, and topping it with that cheese. $12 breakfast burrito and people loved it. Lol.

Great. Now I want enchiladas. And I don't have the stuff for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back