• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy FTK: Black Rose Detective Agency

Delilah's turned to meet his eyes.
"I-I can't promise something like that." She shook her head when he gave her a downcast look.
"That's not what I mean. You have to be able to handle this stuff too, Detective. I can't...I can't promise to always be there and if you don't want people treating you like glass you have to learn how to face these things. I might get reassigned. Rheitz might need to leave someday. How will you survive then? We can't-you lean on people expecting them to always be there. You should know better than to ask something like that."
She shifted uncomfortably in her seat, "You just can't, Leore."

Lautrec was playing with his thumbs while she spoke. “I- I understand that. The only way I can work on a case this large is because I have you, Rheitz and Toby backing me up. If I was alone I could manage the small timers just fine. Without you, I stand no chance in facing the Order. Until we make the arrests for this case, it’s important we stick together. Look at all the wounds we’ve sustained by going out alone or in pairs. I’m worried one of us could die going after the mob like this.”

The pride in Delilah's chest bristled at his statement. Going it alone? When had she done that? The dunderhead himself had gone off on personal missions as if he were indestructible.
Delilah scowled. "I've never gone alone, Leore. You have. I think that theory applies to yourself, not me."
She crossed her arms, leaning back against the couch.
"For someone who claims to need people, you sure do a lot of snooping by yourself."

He got in her face. “Maybe I wouldn’t go out alone if my partner could sit with me for ten minutes without making me want to jump off a damn overpass. I’m fine with me getting hurt, but look at Rheitz, look at you! Seeing that face knocked around by my sister made me want to light myself on fire! You could’ve died today. I can’t lose you, Delilah. I love you too much! I need you around to tell me when I’m being stupid.”
His eyes were intense. Anger and fear were whirpooling inside of him. He didn’t hear himself speak. It was in fact the first time he ever said those words to her.

Last edited:
Delilah stared at him for a minute, trying to determine what exactly he was trying to say.
"Wh-what kind of love are we talking here, Detective?"
She tried to shift her gaze awkwardly, trying to avoid his gaze.

Lautrec’s expression changed to confusion. “What are you... I said I cared about you. I won’t let our squabbles endanger you or Rheitz again. I think it’s time we get together and come up with a plan. Venrir is a step ahead of us, and I’m tired of it.”

Delilah opened her mouth only to quickly close it.

Why did she feel...sad? Disappointed? Was she hoping that those words had meant something more?

She shook her head.
"Forget it. I was thinking too much. I'll try not to yell at you again."
She leaned further back into the sofa's cushions, trying to distance herself from his face.

“Well, yell at me if I deserve it. It’s kinda why I pay you the big coins.” He stood up. It was time to get back to work. He left out the part where he saw beauty in those fierce eyes and that scowl when she was on his case about something. Losing that would be missed by the Dhampir.

Delilah rolled her eyes, letting out a small laugh.
"Just don't jump off bridges. That really pisses me off."
She shifted to move off the couch, placing her foot on the ground.

Rheitz sat on the step of the office, watching Tobias pace back and forth on the sidewalk.
His face was twisted in confusion and worry and she wished she could do something to wipe the expression of his face.
"Toby. Why are you so worried? If the beads don't work then maybe they expired or something?"

He looked at her sideways as he strode past. “They don’t work at all. The spirit comes from inside me. The beads are a conduit for the gun... no, I don’t know why Mitra isn’t speaking to me. I can’t stop thinking about Cassident. How could the church accept someone like that as a member of the Order? Im going to see poor Lautrec’s scars in my nightmares... along with that thing I saw in that alley, and the vampire who killed a lizard woman.” His voice was going dark, as was his mind slipping into bad thoughts.
Maybe the reason he wasn’t able to cast was because he was questioning his entire belief system.
Why would a goddess of light and purity accept demons like Meimar and banish a good Dhampir to Hades?

Last edited:
Rheitz stood up, dusting her pants before straightening.
So Toby had no idea what had gone wrong and obviously he was facing a religious crisis. Maybe they could ask a priest at the church.
Rheitz's heart fluttered at the chance to go investigating by herself.
"All right. We don't have any answers. Maybe we could go to church?"
She tilted her chin at Toby's cruiser.

Toby looked at her and smiled. “I’d like that. It’s been a really long time since we’ve gone together. Good idea babe.” He brought her in for a kiss and started walking towards his car. Lautrec opened the office door and saw them.
“Hey, where are you going?” Lautrec called to them.
“We’re going to church. Might try to find out why my spells aren’t working.”
“Oh... alright then. Just make sure Rheitz doesn’t cause trouble.”
Toby laughed. “Oh I will.”

Rheitz pouted, playfully glaring at Toby.
"Watch me? I'm not a child." She pulled herself from Tobias's arms, running to his cruiser.
"Come on!"

The temple of the sun goddess herself was made of marble and adorned with golden suns, a statue of Mitra standing in the entrance.
She bore a hard expression, though her lips were smiling, as if unfeeling and willing to allow anyone to feel her wraith.
Rheitz eyed the statue, holding Tobias's hand tightly as they entered the temple.
A priestess greeted them, her white robes falling softly around her.
A band of gold circled around her head and arms as if shining like the rays of light around the sun.

"You seem to have many questions, my children. What troubles you so?"

Toby rubbed the back of his head. He wasn’t sure where to start, and honestly he didn’t feel comfortable getting into it with this person.
“I do have questions for the Lady. I think I’ll go inside and ask her myself.” He chuckled nervously and went into the temple.
There were rows of pews and the altar at the back. A golden sun with flowers and candles all over, as well as tributes people have brought to the lady. Coin, trinkets, and hand crafted totems made of wood.
Toby sat in a pew and bowed his head in prayer. He was rubbing the beads between his fingers. He stayed this way for a few minutes, just trying to sort himself out.

Rheitz frowned. Why hadn't he taken the Priestess's help? Obviously this woman would have a better connection with Mitra then he would.
She watched Tobias in the pew before standing and making her way back to the woman.
"I would like to ask some questions. If that's okay."
The priestess smiled, nodding towards a small bench in the back.
"Let's sit, hm? I hope I have the answers you seek."

The two women sat on the bench. Rheitz studied the priestess, watching as she arranged her robes on the seat.
The woman was old, her face wrinkled by time and work, but her ancient skin also bore a strange beauty all of its own.
She looked at her feet when the woman caught her staring.

"I am Inerma, a high priestess. May I ask who you are?"

"Rheitz. Rheitz Toccash."

The old woman smiled, studying the girl in front of her.
"Now, what answers do you seek?"

Rheitz shrugged.
"How...how can the church be so...," she glanced at Inerma, "cruel?"

"Cruel? How so, dear child?"

"Well...my boss. He's a dhampir. He didn't do anything wrong. But he got sent to Meimar Cassident and he tortured him so badly!"

Inerman frowned, folding her hands in her lap.
"Meimar Cassident. He was accepted many years ago, though I think he obtained the position through title and not faith. The High Order has been plagued by vampire haters for much time. Mitra exists to push out the darkness, darkness created by vampires. Yet, I believe there a few of these beings who are good. The Order struggles to discern between the two."

She bowed her head.
"Unfortunately, Meimar is someone who possesses this quality. We can only pray that he finds the light."

Tobias could overhear the women talking, and hearing that woman make excuses for that torturer was making his ears hot. He stood up and approached the old priestess.
“Okay, then. I have a question too. How can Mitra claim to be so just and good and yet allow this kind of thing to happen under her gaze, inside her biggest city? How can they punish the innocent and maintain their holy status?”
The woman closed her eyes.
“I don’t believe Mitra has ever spoken of justice” the woman said. Toby’s eyes widened.
“You are a police officer, yes? It is possible you’ve confused your own sense of justice with that of faith. As I said, Mitra exists to banish darkness, not to act as a mediator between the two forces. One may look to another god for guidance, but not our Holy Lady.”
This information made Toby slump into the pew. Rheitz could see the life drain out of him.
“H-how?” He asked himself.
“Do not fret, young man” the priestess said. “Many paladins of legend have used the principle of justice while staying true to Mitra. You must battle the darkness within before you can face it in the world.”
None of this seemed to help Toby very much. He turned away from the priestess and started walking towards the altar.

Rheitz frowned, confused.
"You said Meimar entered the service based on title? How so?"

Inerma shook her head. "Family name and the right amount of money can get you position in the Order. It is unfortunate that it has become so corrupt. Cassident is the nephew of one of the rich nobility that funds the Order's treasury. He was promoted through bribery and title into his position now."

Rheitz's frown deepened.
"So...what you're saying is that he doesn't actually lawfully have the position?"

Inerma nodded.
"Yes."

Last edited:
After she replied to Rheitz, there was a smashing sound at the altar. Toby had pushed over the golden sun onto the floor. He smashed a totem with his hand and knocked the flowers to the floor.
“Damn you” He roared. “It isn’t fair! How can you call yourself a god? This is darkness! This is chaos! Damn Mitra to hell” he cried out, throwing his beads on the floor and stomping on them, one of the beads breaking in half under his foot.

Inerma frowned, the creases lining her eyes deepening. She turned a judging eye to Rheitz.

"Please remove him. He is destroying the sacred alter of the lady herself."

Rheitz nodded, rushing to her boyfriend and grabbed his arm.
"Stop it. Let's just go, okay? I'll get you something."

Toby was breathing heavily. He stopped when they were passing the old priestess.
“I apologize for messing up your altar” He said and kept walking quickly out of the temple. He had angry tears in his eyes. For the first time in his life, Tobias didn’t know where to turn. He was bent over like he’d been punched in the gut.
“I just... everything always seemed so simple. Black and white. Good guys and bad guys. Lautrec was the gray one, but I could count on the good defeating the bad. Cassident is a prime example of dark defeating light. How could Mitra allow the high order to abuse the light for their own gain?”

The priestess bowed her head.
"Money is a very powerful thing, my son. It even has the power to allow darkness to defeat the light."

Rheitz nodded, tugging on his hand.
"Come on, let's go-," her voice died as her eyes landed on the infamous cleric.

Meimer Cassident.

The Joyous was wearing his suit, and held a cigar in his hand. The robes were washed on Saturday in preparation for the Sunday ritual. Of course he was smiling. He couldn’t help it. The muscles in his face caused a nearly permanent smile.
“Inerma, did this man kick over the sun statue” he asked.
“Yes, he did” the priestess replied.
“My statue, that I build with my very hands” he grasped at the air with his flexing hand muscles.
“Yes.... my lord.”
“Hmmmm, Why would he do this?
Toby, you’re a star student of the academy. I attended your graduation, and witnessed your devout strength. Such insolence!”
He was flamboyant but very serious. Though of high status, his family line was somewhat incestuous. As a result, he felt no pain, but was wracked with unchecked disorders including the mentioned facial torsion. Rheitz could smell his fingers burning under his lit cigar, when he pinched the lit end off and tossed the cigar at Toby.

Rheitz glared at the man, pulling her boyfriend behind her.
"You're the one causing him this pain! You don't even deserve your position!"
She stomped her foot, the stubbornness of a faun pushing her on despite the fear she felt.
The cigar fell at her feet and she kicked it aside.

Last edited:
He pointed at Rheitz. “I take offense to that as well! I’ve been a trustworthy member of the clergy my entire life! I’ve healed the sick and driven plagues away from villages. Have you even thought to ask me for my side of events?”
Before Rheitz could yell some more, Toby grabbed her wrist and pulled her towards him.
“I can face him myself, dear. Let me protect you this time.” He turned her around and faced Meimar.
“Fine. I’m a cop after all. I listen to witnesses all the time. Please continue, Lord Cass”

“Picture the scene. A room covered in blood. A knife on the floor, and two Dhampir savoring its essence. If you have the courage, your instinct would be to arrest them. We pull the girl away and then her kin draws a weapon. You’d drop him with that gun of yours, I’d assume.”

Officer Toby stood emotionless, listening intently.
“But, the man holding the gun is a police officer. Things are different now. Do you kill him on the spot or do you reason with him? Well, the son of Dracula was reasoned by me to drop his weapon. In a way, you can say I saved the Dhampir that night! Lautrec St. Leore committed the darkest sin in Paladina, and his damned soul was shown salvation! That is the true power of Mitra‘s loving compassion! Do not cast away the loving hands of your Holy Lady! Tobias Wakerfield, feel her spirits” Meimar delivered a power slap across Toby’s face. The hit was so sudden that Rheitz blinked and missed it.
His head was foggy. The pain was intense. Inside, he felt a fire ignite.

Last edited:
Inerma cast a judging eye at Meimar.
"I must ask that you do not bring a hand against this young man in the temple of the Holy Lady. It is against the law to ensue violence in her holy temple."
She bowed to Meimar and went to Tobias grasping his shoulder gently.
"Are you alright my son?"

Rheitz frowned. "Why is his face red...did you slap him?!"
She pointed an accusing finger at the cleric, face dark with rage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back