• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Frozen Hell (Apocalypse World 2E) - OOC

Main
Here
Characters
Here
I'm very excited to start making my character, but I have a couple questions.

I'm looking at the character creation sheet and for the 'Stats - Moves' section, do I put something in for every single box? As for the numbers, how would I go about that? (I'm assuming it's 1-10, but as a complete beginner, I have no idea where to start or how to even select numbers). For everything else like the name and looks, do they have to be selected from the given list? Or do you have a bit of freedom in that area?

I'm very excited to start making my character, but I have a couple questions.

I'm looking at the character creation sheet and for the 'Stats - Moves' section, do I put something in for every single box? As for the numbers, how would I go about that? (I'm assuming it's 1-10, but as a complete beginner, I have no idea where to start or how to even select numbers). For everything else like the name and looks, do they have to be selected from the given list? Or do you have a bit of freedom in that area?
Ah yes. All great questions. I’ll go in the order you asked.

For stats, you choose a set of stats from the “Stats” section under “Creating an X”, X being the type of playbook. So, for example, if I’m creating an Angel, I can choose one of these sets of stats:

3E81C923-2A7F-45F9-AC48-959510946ED6.jpeg

Once I choose a set, say the first set, I then literally write the bonus for each stat in the corresponding box. For “Cool” I’d put “+1” in the box. This is the bonus I get to a 2d6 roll when I roll my moves.

For choosing the other parts of your character, yes, you do go with what’s on the list. At the table, you circle one in each list. Example, the look for the skinner I played was: “woman, display wear, beautiful face, arresting eyes, steady hands”. The flexible list is your name. Choose your own name, if you like. But, the idea is that there is a lot of opinion on what the world is like written into your choices. With that in mind, most people choose their “look” and then expand a description based on it.

Does that all make sense?

Yes! Thank you!

One more question, the barter. I actually switched from Savvyhead to Angel for a more passive learning role. On the gear section it says you start with oddments worth 2-barter. I'm unsure what that means because in the barter section to the left it talks about lifestyle. Does it want to make up a lifestyle or is there an actual barter section I'm missing? The Angel kit?

edit: last question! I promise! The harm section! How is that determined?

Oh yeah, no problem. More great questions. Please ask as many as you like.

“Barter” is an abstract kind of currency. The world has gone to shit and none of the old money means anything. We actually will set what kind of currency there is, if any, or if it’s all based on actual barter. Having “oddments worth 2-barter” you having knick-knacks or things that are worth quite a bit of whatever currency is out there. To give you context, 1 “barter” is worth about a month’s meager living expenses.

At the start of each session, in our case Chapters, you have to pay for your lifestyle. Everything in this apocalyptic world is scarce. Scarcity runs deep throughout. If you can’t pay, you’ll end up having to do jobs to make the scratch necessary for living.

But we can get into that later. For now, you can leave the “oddments worth 2-barter” as that on your sheet or actually define what valuable things make that up.

Harm is when you are harmed, as in stabbed, shot, punched, fall into a pit, etc. When you take harm, you mark sections of the harm clock. Each 1-harm is one marked off section of the clock. It goes clockwise. Anything marked off 12 to 6 o’clock you heal back with time. After 6 o’clock, you’ll need some kind of medical attention to heal. It won’t heal with time. After 9 o’clock, if you don’t do something about it, it gets worse with time. You’re dying.

The reason it’s a clock is to evoke the old doomsday clock from the Cold War.

Does that answer your question?

So this is for everyone. I’m supposed to say this early and often to set expectations:

Your job is to play your characters as though they were real people, in whatever circumstances they find themselves—cool, competent, dangerous people, larger than life, but real. My job as MC is to treat your characters as though they were real people too, and to act as though Apocalypse World were real.

Now, a word on the Apocalypse itself:

The Apocalypse

The apocalypse happened about 50 years age. The oldest people still around have childhood memories of it. Nobody knows what really happened or why, though. Maybe nobody ever knew. “Hey MC, it says here ‘the world’s psychic maelstrom’—what’s that?” It’s everywhere, just outside your perception, and if you open your brain up to it you can learn things from it. It learns things from you, too. If you know how, you can reach out into it to make things happen. It caused the apocalypse, or else the apocalypse caused it, nobody knows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back