Experiences From Interest to CS: An Odyssey

You're actually not too much older than me, but most of the stuff I like tends to be the stuff I grew up. I'm a 90's kid so 90's and early 2000's fandoms are typically what I grew up with. I don't know a lot of the more recent stuff since I don't follow pop culture closely. I never have. If anything, there's book fandoms I would know, but nothing pertaining to anime, TV shows, etc.
If I'm being perfectly honest, it's just feeds on my browser news and Netflix that tip me off to whatever is popular and trendy. My browser home page won't stop spamming banners about the new Harry Potter game and the Wednesday Addams netflix show despite how much I keep telling it that I don't want to see those kinds of ads.

My husband is more into the whole instagram feed thing, so there's also whatever crap he tries to show me from there... that I honestly don't really care about. And I quickly catch on to whatever is trendy from that exposure as well. And well, then there is the stuff that suddenly crops up in spades on RP sites that also tips me off. Harry Potter video game comes out? Whoah, look... lots of Harry Potter RPs. Wednesday Addams show, Wednesday Addams RPs. New season of Stranger Things... Stranger Things RPs. It's like clockwork.

Yet... when the Mad Max movie with Tom Hardy and Charlize Theron came out in 2015... no Mad Max RPs to speak of. FML, right? lol
Same with the Dredd movie with Karl Urban.

When I was younger I was almost esclusively a historical and fantasy RPer. Nowadays I do some realistic modern stuff, but there needs to be more to it than just slice of life. When I was in school I certainly wasn't RPing in school settings. Wasn't into it.
I think I did predominantly medieval fantasy stuff. Cyberpunk theme before everyone caught onto the "cyberpunk" label. a very rare space opera now and again. But definitely a lot of high fantasy and sword and sorcery type of stuff.

My main interest will always be space opera/Space western. But those RPs are so niche and difficult to recruit for, that I've just about given up on it. ...Which brings me to what I'm currently working on:

It's essentially inspired by some parts of the old Conan the Barbarian comics and stories. A sword and sorcery set in a fantasy bronze age. Is not at all a fandom RP. Just inspired by it. It's a lot of work I've put into the seting so far, and I'm not even done with it.

And I guess I'm rightly afraid that I'm going to go through all this effort just to meet the same unrequited end once I put it up as an RT.

I'm still going to try, of course. But I'm also trying to prepare myself for the potential let down if it doesn't get underway in the end.

Yep. I've had to bail on RP's before because the players were using anime FC's in what is meant to be a realistic RP.
RPs should stick to one style of FC if you're using them. Actors should not be standing next to medieval fantasy art and anime art. A lack of consistency not only break immersion but also creates a clash of styles that just doesn't work.

RPs should stick to one style of FC if you're using them. Actors should not be standing next to medieval fantasy art and anime art. A lack of consistency not only break immersion but also creates a clash of styles that just doesn't work.
THANK YOU!

My big pet peeve with RPN culture is I have to squint to read sheets/posts a lot of the time which is why I haven't really joined a lot in my time here.

My big pet peeve with RPN culture is I have to squint to read sheets/posts a lot of the time which is why I haven't really joined a lot in my time here.
Sometimes I'll use larger/bold text for a title or heading. But I never go smaller. Font is small enough as it is.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back