Chitchat For history nerds like meh

Ozron

Smiles hide more than they show
Roleplay Type(s)
I assume if you clicked on this thread, then you are a history nerd. Or maybe you were just curious, anyway, the name's Ozron or Ozzy. I love history. Just love it. Although this might seem a bit rude to some people, I do like hearing someone saying something historically wrong and correcting them. Idk if that's a b a d thing, but I've noticed more and more often. I will always come up with an excuse to talk about history with someone. My family has always said that I should be a teacher who teaches history/SS. The problem is... I really don't have anyone to talk to that's interested. So, I figured to make a thread for fellow nerds like me. Hope this actually gets somewhere lol

Hello, fellow history nerd! Which eras do you like most?

Hello, fellow history nerd! Which eras do you like most?
Really any era. I love WW1&2, the Cold war, the Napoleon era, the Colonialism era, etc. I'm currently studying and learning about Central Asia and the Turkish immigration from Central Asia, to Europe, Anatolia, the Middle East, etc. I know a bit about it already, like the Ottoman Empire and the collapse of the Byzantine Empire, but I'm not sure how it affected Persia, so I'm studying it in more detail. But yeah. : p

Really any era. I love WW1&2, the Cold war, the Napoleon era, the Colonialism era, etc. I'm currently studying and learning about Central Asia and the Turkish immigration from Central Asia, to Europe, Anatolia, the Middle East, etc. I know a bit about it already, like the Ottoman Empire and the collapse of the Byzantine Empire, but I'm not sure how it affected Persia, so I'm studying it in more detail. But yeah. : p
Yaaaaaassss. I like you already.

Pretty much the same ones. The World Wars, Cold War, etc. However, I also have a fondness for ancient Rome.
Oo, I like Ancient Rome and Ancient Greece. I love the Roman & Greek gods, and how Ancient Greece colonized the Mediterranean. And the Romans just amaze me. It's crazy such a large civilization, especially with a few civil wars, stood for so long. The technology the Romans made was advanced, even having some of the first factories. Not a modern industrialized factory, but still.

Ok but ancient Mesoptomia and Babylon??? Learning about this right now and I love it
Yep, I love those, especially Mesopotamia. I've always been interested in the Middle East. It's always been a somewhat chaotic region but always had some geopolitical importance. It was the crosswords between Europe and Asia for the Silk Road, eventually, that didn't last, but it just so happened to be sitting on some of the world's largest oil fields ever. It's just really interesting.

Have you ever considered looking into African history? Very interesting stuff. Especially in sub-Saharan Africa.
I haven't taken a deep dive yet. Although I always wanted to do more research on it, especially on the tribes and all.

I highly recommend African history. There are many misconceptions about the nature of African society because very few take a deep dive into the civilizations that inhabited the land before the time of colonization. The tale of Africa is such a tragic one, as well. A birthplace of many religions, languages, and cultures. A land abundant with resources and people that have rich traditions. Mesopotamia is often referred to as the cradle of civilization, but Egypt was a nation that was more powerful than the Mesopotamian kingdoms.

I highly recommend African history. There are many misconceptions about the nature of African society because very few take a deep dive into the civilizations that inhabited the land before the time of colonization. The tale of Africa is such a tragic one, as well. A birthplace of many religions, languages, and cultures. A land abundant with resources and people that have rich traditions. Mesopotamia is often referred to as the cradle of civilization, but Egypt was a nation that was more powerful than the Mesopotamian kingdoms.
Oh, alright. I'll definitely check it out. What do you suggest I start studying? Since Africa is huge and has a ton of history from what I know of.

Northern Africa is where you should start. North Africa has the most human-interactive history because of the proximity to Europe. From there, just make your way down south.

Northern Africa is where you should start. North Africa has the most human-interactive history because of the proximity to Europe. From there, just make your way down south.
Alright, thanks.

Have you ever considered looking into African history? Very interesting stuff. Especially in sub-Saharan Africa.
Would you know of any good history books for sub-Saharan Africa then, by any chance? I've been trying to expand, geographically, with the history books I've read recently. :closed eyes open smile:

Would you know of any good history books for sub-Saharan Africa then, by any chance? I've been trying to expand, geographically, with the history books I've read recently. :closed eyes open smile:
King Leopold's Ghost, We Wish to Inform You That Tomorrow We Will Be Killed With Our Families, Africans, The Kingdoms of the Savanna, The Rainbow and The Kings, Queen Njinga of Angola, The Bamana Empire by the Niger.

Thank you so much for the list!
I'll be sure to go about adding them to a wishlist soon.
Thanks once again! 😊

OOOOOOOOO
I AM NOT A HISTORY NERD BUT I AM ASPIRING
TBH I KNOW NOTHING OF HISTORY
BUT I LOVE IT
TELL ME ALL THE THINGS

I consider myself somewhat of a history enthusiast. I don't think I'm as knowledgeable about history as the true history nerds, but I really like learning about it. I really like learning about different eras of history, and how the transitions happen between one era and the next. Of course, there's usually those big events that we use as a point to mark when one era ends and another begins, but the very nature of how the transition happens is always interesting to me.

As for particular eras I like learning about, I've dived a bit into many different eras, but I do think the ones I always enjoy learning about are the colonial era, the Napoleonic era, the industrial revolution, the World Wars and the Cold War, and everything in between. So mostly between the last 500-600 years of history, for the most part. My interest in history goes hand in hand with my interest in geography, and how geography can heavily influence how history plays out.

Did someone say place to talk about my very specific history fascination?!
I used to not like history at all, as I have a very specific set of interests and when they aren't adequately met I will get bored so most of what I learned in school or heard about on TV would be like pulling teeth.
Center stage: internet. Now I have a hyperfixation on 1600s-1900s Japanese history specifically on 1800-1900s Japan in the context of the meiji restoration and it's effect on art and culture. Even more specifically I am obsessed with Yukio Mishima. He is the most interesting person to ever have existed to me and I will never get sick of infodumping and learning more about him. Currently reading through his novels, what a guy. I don't agree with 3/4ths of everything he says but no one else does it quite like him, y'know.
I also love history regarding technological advancements but I only really start to care when we're around the creation of computers or the first form of networking. No specific people I like but the general creation of social circles on the web or in dedicated spaces irl is fascinating, I loved the documentary about the first furry communities.

I do love me some world civ. When I went to university, my major was Asian Studies—which basically was an ethnic studies major. There was a lot of history and art history classes and I absolutely fell in love. I say I’ve got more knowledge of China, Japan and Korea before antiquity (pre-1800s). I tend to focus in literature, art and folklore but I do love reading and learning about the history around those things.

My favorite eras are the American Revolution and the American Civil War. Though, I prefer the American Civil War.

I also like reading about the Black Death that killed 1/3 of the European population in the middle ages.

i heart the 13th century

high period seems more neglected than early/later medieval

Users who are viewing this thread

Back