Experiences For all of my Villain Roleplayers out there...A question.

Shiiba

Resident weirdo
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
What is the most badass and scariest thing you have either witnessed a villain do, or that you had a villain do?
Im talking like, it left a massive inpact on the rest of the roleplay.
And yes, intimidating quotes also count.

I mean... I've written dragons that raze villages, ogres that eat children, space pirates that murder without hesitation, warmongers committing genocide...
creatures that lay their eggs inside of you so that when they hatch, they eat you alive from the inside out...
drug trafficking, enslavement, blackmail, cannibalism, ritualistic sacrifice...
More recently, I had an OC that killed her own (slave) mother because her father was raising her to be a wasteland hellion.

The list goes on, really.

There's worse. But I can't really go into detail on those things on PG-13 sites under 18 sites like RPN.

(edited as per below correction)

Last edited:
But I can't really go into detail on those things on PG-13 sites like RPN.

It is true that we don't allow erotica, but it's not a PG-13 site just because of that.
RpNation is NOT a PG-13 rated site, but does cater to users who are under the age of 18.

The things you mentioned would be ok to discuss here, as long as you don't go in such detail that would make people physically sick.

It is true that we don't allow erotica, but it's not a PG-13 site just because of that.
outside of erotica, y'all have some rules about excessive gore and violent acts and such. I get that the no-no area is in the deets of the description... but for the sake of keeping myself out of trouble, I won't bring up some things just because of the allusion.
The things you mentioned would be ok to discuss here, as long as you don't go in such detail that would make people physically sick.
right. And some people are more... delicate? than others. So, I'll err on the side of caution. lol

Let's just surmise it to say that I've gone out of my way a couple of times to make villainous characters that are irredeemably heinous and unlikeable. Like, very sick and twisted assholes that no one in their right mind should be able to sympathize with.

But to be honest, writing out these kinds of characters gets pretty tiresome very quickly. In the end, they are rather unbelievable and two-dimensional. They feel more like a try-hard cliche, and I get bored of their limited concept.

In a bit over-the-top fashion, my gangster character bribed his way into a high class brothel with cheese and monopoly money, canonized My Little Pony parody My Little Goatling, caused a gang fight, then run away on a taxi.

Silly? A bit. Scary? Probably not. Affect the roleplay, badass, cement his reputation as a wild card? Hell yeah

I have played a lot of villains! Some were protagonists, some... well, just villains, and usually NPCs at that. My villain-leaning protagonists are more well-rounded in that they often have a lot of good traits as well, but they're characterized by being fucking unhinged. Like, one of my current ones is a nice gal all around - usually pretty friendly, even if a little weird - but she's also ready to murder complete strangers in very brutal ways for very flimsy reasons (ie., her love interest enjoying the carnage, lol.) One of my favorite moments feature her feeding someone to pigs - while that person was still alive - and live streaming it. Fun times.

A more straightforward villain from the very same rp is an insane vampiric cannibal who routinely eats her own children in a bid to try and absorb their powers, so... yeah, lol. At least my protag does the things she does for love! She's a good person! If you don't cross her

MW2: No loose ends

Makarov during the entire franchise

I frequently write Villains, and exploring them can be pretty fun. I know Trektek Trektek claims I left an impact on his last RP xD!

I was The Lord of Nightmares in an RP masquerading as his human self, a young rash, impatient man who used his good lucks to woo power rangers. (Yes, this was a Power Rangers RP, and it was glorious).

villains are my specialty! i prefer to play them, so i have PLENTY of extremes under my belt

but my favorite is when i had my main villain kill her sisters lover solely because she deemed the lover a weakness
the anti-hero and vil where sisters, with the protag being the lover

it was alot of fun to plan and write that one out
slow burns >>>>

For Clarity, he released a universe devouring entity which killed millions of people before it was stopped so he could steal a piece of it to gain a powerful minion. It even killed two player characters during its massive rampage.

Mass murder, often based on some form of prejudice. Scariest part is that they actually seemed amused while doing so. When I write villains I tend to go all out, thus many of them end up as violent psychopaths. Still scarier yet is that they're usually the manipulate types who can persuade others into doing their bidding.

My character was a originally a side character but they betrayed him and he has killed several of their NPC friends. Additionally he has commited Genocide, mass murder, theft, and killed a player who wanted a way out of the RP

Mass murder, often based on some form of prejudice. Scariest part is that they actually seemed amused while doing so. When I write villains I tend to go all out, thus many of them end up as violent psychopaths. Still scarier yet is that they're usually the manipulate types who can persuade others into doing their bidding.

AP17320809876076-1600x1200.jpg

Yea, he's pretty close to some of the type of villains I write actually.
A little bit of Charlie, sprinkle in some Richard Ramirez, a hint of Dahmer, and garnish with Gien. Pairs well with Bundy.

One of the villains I RPed as in this forum's RPs right now is Ardyn Izunia from Final Fantasy XV. Manipulative and loves to toy with his enemies like a predetor with it's prey.

My favorite thing to do when I want a villain is I'll use a little known D&D monster known as a Purple Dragon, also known as the Yakuza of the D&D world. They literally will spend decades getting revenge on a town for some tiny slight. Plus, when I DM them, I give them the scariest fucking lines in the world. My favorite is this: "You threaten me. Funny. I have been dealing with shits like you my entire life, some adventurers, some dragons, all fools. Even the oldest of you cannot remember a day where I did not exist, and I have lived millennia ruling this puny world. But sure. Just because some group above says you can kill me, you clearly can defeat me, who killed Vraxthos with a single breath. (Vraxthos was the equivalent of Kratos from God of War, except a wizard.) So come at me, you filthy rats, and know that death is my bitch to command."

For Clarity, he released a universe devouring entity which killed millions of people before it was stopped so he could steal a piece of it to gain a powerful minion. It even killed two player characters during its massive rampage.
Listen.

I have nothing to say.

My character wasn't really a villain per se, but moreso a very principled person who had a number of intense beliefs. He was a demigod who could control time, but only in the way of effecting things temporally tied to a certain year. Anyways, he had a girlfriend who was essentially a divine android, and when some uprisings went on in Heaven that resulted in a lot of the old gods being thrown out, he started to see her as a symbol of the old regime, took her down to the beach, and brutally assimilated her into a temporally-aligned device of his. "I love you, but I love the world more" was a line from their final exchange. This made a number of waves in the RP and ended up with him losing his powers and becoming mortal, but for some reason the people running the rp saw this as some super-accurate reflection of who I was, and not me attempting to deal with my own personal demons through writing.

Villainy is a difficult thing to adequately write, illustrate, or describe. Tending more towards self-satire than the opposite, especially by the point they are so cartoonishly evil none could possibly take them seriously, as most villains commonly end toward. Murder, pillage, and the unnamed offense hold plenty effect, but I've learned not to overuse them, or to make a character obviously evil or repetitively so; one can grow bored easily if a character is not interesting, and villains need to be taken care of to ensure they are interesting, as their position in the story is arguably more important than any other one in any given story.

Which is why I think the most frightening and impactful decision a villain can make, or have, is to be selfish or without care or compassion; distinctly seperate in function to regular people, operating by differing logic and differing principle to any other normal person. It is not a point of making extravagant displays of senseless mass slaughter by such a juncture, but instead the regular chill of interacting with someone who clearly does not operate within the bounds of the heart, and how something such as that may affect a regular person. I suppose one could say that I am an appreciator of the moral greyness of regular people when placed in demanding situations, and whilst many times such situations seldom play themselves out ideally in a roleplay due to the fact that it is not reality- and thus there is a distinct seperation of believability- it makes for excellent reading and introspective contemplation when adequately portrayed.

I cannot claim to have performed such a superb portrayal myself, I do not have the adequate ability to accurately parse such realisations from my own writing, but I try.

Villainy is a difficult thing to adequately write, illustrate, or describe. Tending more towards self-satire than the opposite, especially by the point they are so cartoonishly evil none could possibly take them seriously, as most villains commonly end toward. Murder, pillage, and the unnamed offense hold plenty effect, but I've learned not to overuse them, or to make a character obviously evil or repetitively so; one can grow bored easily if a character is not interesting, and villains need to be taken care of to ensure they are interesting, as their position in the story is arguably more important than any other one in any given story.

Which is why I think the most frightening and impactful decision a villain can make, or have, is to be selfish or without care or compassion; distinctly seperate in function to regular people, operating by differing logic and differing principle to any other normal person. It is not a point of making extravagant displays of senseless mass slaughter by such a juncture, but instead the regular chill of interacting with someone who clearly does not operate within the bounds of the heart, and how something such as that may affect a regular person. I suppose one could say that I am an appreciator of the moral greyness of regular people when placed in demanding situations, and whilst many times such situations seldom play themselves out ideally in a roleplay due to the fact that it is not reality- and thus there is a distinct seperation of believability- it makes for excellent reading and introspective contemplation when adequately portrayed.

I cannot claim to have performed such a superb portrayal myself, I do not have the adequate ability to accurately parse such realisations from my own writing, but I try.
This is very true. Poorly written villains always seem very cartoonishly evil and it breaks the immersion (unless the story itself is meant to be cartoonish). It definitely requires a lot of careful planning and thought put into every action. This is one reason why I think the most effective villains are usually those who deploy psychological means as well in order to demoralize and break down the protagonist. Some of my favourite villains to have written were never even directly violent themselves. There is a place for violence of course, but if it's overdone it just begins to look gratuitous and cheap. There's good reason I think why some of the most successful horror movies are more psychological than gory in nature.

This is very true. Poorly written villains always seem very cartoonishly evil and it breaks the immersion (unless the story itself is meant to be cartoonish). It definitely requires a lot of careful planning and thought put into every action. This is one reason why I think the most effective villains are usually those who deploy psychological means as well in order to demoralize and break down the protagonist. Some of my favourite villains to have written were never even directly violent themselves. There is a place for violence of course, but if it's overdone it just begins to look gratuitous and cheap. There's good reason I think why some of the most successful horror movies are more psychological than gory in nature.

Indeed. Though this is not to say, or even proclaim, that violence and trauma hold no purpose in portrayal. They are powerful, so long as they are not made a mockery out of; so much in writing is powerful, unless made a mockery out of.

i don't necessarily write villains extremely often, but i am a fan of morally grey characters and characters that are simply bad guys, even if they aren't the antagonist or the villain.

as has been mentioned above, copious amounts of violence or destruction are always go-tos when writing for villains, and i think a big reason for that is because it's easy to write and get away with.
"this person is bad because they killed everyone in this city simply because they could."
it's easy to paint this scene in a plain black and white manner for a wide audience to choose the "correct" side, as well as make it to where the same wide audience can enjoy it without feeling uncomfortable.

on sites like rpn especially where there is a minor audience present, plain vanilla violence is the ol' reliable way of doing it since there's never a concern of overstepping bounds of what's allowed so long as scenes are left undetailed. for me, when writing for a horrifically violent villain, the detail of the carnage and the effect it has on observers or those indirectly affected is what sells the villainy. you can say someone is bad for conquering a land, but when the scenes of battle are placed into the reader's mind's eye, and the impact one burned village has on the rest of the nation, you really start to feel that the bad guy is the bad guy.
he's taking fathers and sons from homes and burying them in foreign soil, and he's leaving children homeless and starving after their towns are crushed by the ambition of a villain they never knew existed. and at the end of it all, the bad guy never even knew these people were collateral. or worse, he didn't care.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back