• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Fight for Control [closed]

Everything had its desired effect, and Reveille was able to get to her feet, and take the whip back into her hands while gaining distance on Kylo. He likely wouldn’t see the way Sienar had flinched in shared pain; Sienar had been on the receiving end of that often enough.

Reveille wouldn’t give Kylo the time to recuperate, though. That would just be asking for trouble, so she lashed out with the whip while he was still on the ground to strike at his own wrist, intending to cause pain there so his grip would be a bit weaker in the future.

Or so she’d at least have an easy spot to work against.

All while stepping back to where the dagger had landed, because she would probably want that again. She likely wasn’t getting back her double-bladed polearm from Kylo so easily. He should have learned his lesson about grappling her now.

~***~

Drawing up the files were easy, and Armitage knew there wouldn’t be nearly as many to go through when it came down to it. The officers all had their own files, of course, but there was no one like Phasma to make such meticulous notes about them. It was a shame; there was no outline of what each officer was truly good at. Sure, there were some marksmanship scores, and one could guess at things based on the position they ended up in, but regardless, it wasn’t nearly as efficient.

“While I appreciate the gesture, we have unfortunately not had files for our officers that are as…in-depth as those for our Stormtroopers. A failing, but not something worth investing in fixing. I have people in mind who would easily rise to the task, it will just be a matter of whether they are willing to accept the position, and if our new Captain is able to work efficiently with them.”

Perhaps one day he would be able to outline a program for the officers, but as they were of many varied ranks, it would be a bit difficult to do so. It wasn’t like Stormtroopers, or TIE fighters, who had a singular job; officers could be medics, analysts, strategists, engineers, and a host of other roles. There were tests and history that pointed to the reasons why they were in any particular position, but most of those were years old.

They weren’t markers of current matters.

“It may be something to look in to, to create a database with the information as we have it, but it is not something I feel a need to invest your time in,” he stated, “perhaps some analyst, but I don’t see the benefit of sticking you with the task presently.”

The halls were not so dead as one might expect. The First Order knew Galactic Time and lived by it, but night shift and day shift weren’t that much different. They didn’t exactly have a sun as a guide.

Night shift was a bit more lax, and had fewer people out, but not by much.

Kylo gained control over his breathing, which aided in fading the pain from his groin. Just like his promised, he resisted the urge in utilizing the Force to hide his pain, but watching Reveille scramble away from him, he momentarily entertained the idea of using it.

Just in the nick of time he saw her bring her arm back, whip in hand. He quickly rolled out of the way, all the while grabbing onto the polearm. Partially for his own protection.

He unsheathed one of the blades, and rolling onto his knees, he made a swipe with the blade at Reveille’s shins. Even with a dull blade, the potential impact could lead to temporary pain and bruising.

Reveille was very much the snake he thought her to be, and yet he found that he enjoyed her spirit. It made her unpredictable. Good. Anything less would be too boring.

~~

Their officer files weren’t as in-depth as the Stormtroopers? That was unexpected, and Lavinia hummed as he mentioned this. “Surely anyone dedicated to the cause would accept the position and accomplish what was needed of them.” Even if it meant working with someone they didn’t quite get along with. As she saw with him and Kylo Ren.

Was the lack of detail for the officers in comparison to the Stormtroopers a flaw she could exploit?

She nodded in response to his answer. If she could manage to get a hold of all that information, she would be very happy. “Understood, sir.”

They passed the occasional officer and Stormtrooper, but with their current location, not many roamed those particular corridors, as they mainly housed officers, who were either already on their shift or resting in their beds.

“Sir,” she started, carefully choosing her words so that she didn’t witness his ire once again, “if I may, do you often give yourself a break? I don’t mean what we’re doing, but rather a few hours or a day to let someone else take the reigns and allow yourself to recuperate?” Perhaps a bold question, but she was curious about his routine. Especially given how she was to now follow it.

The crack of the whip was always a pleasing sound, but Kylo remained still aware enough of his environment, and now he had a weapon. That was certainly something that Reveille intended to rectify, if only because it gave him range. Kylo Ren didn’t need range.

Reveille was keeping that in mind even before he swung, and kicked her dagger backwards so that as she stepped out of range of his swing, it would still be near at hand as she followed it backwards, and again snapped the whip down at Kylo Ren. She would remain on the offensive herself, try to make it difficult for Kylo to get fully to his feet, so he wouldn’t be as quick.

He was, thankfully, slower on his knees.

And she couldn’t help a comment, “You know, you look good down there.” She always did enjoy a bit of taunting in a fight and with Kylo’s known anger issues, she expected it would only give her an advantage.

~***~

Armitage rolled his eyes, “Yes, anyone would, but you of all people should be familiar with being shoved into a position you don’t like, to work with someone you don’t like. I would rather my officer be in a position they feel confident in, working alongside someone they can do more than tolerate.”

There was a difference in his method, and Kylo Ren’s method, for assigning people to roles. He knew the advantage of putting people in roles they would find some enjoyment in – and with people they could at least respect. It tended to make the work they performed, better.

As they came closer to the cafeteria, Althea broke the silence between them. He expected his own comment had turned her off to further commentary, given the slip up the last time they’d come this way. As it was, she seemed to want to ask an inane query. “No, I do not.” He answered her.

He supposed he could elaborate a bit, “My work is not done until the war is over. If I did not need to pause for sleep, or for eating, I would continue to work at it without pause. I understand the importance of short breaks, though.” Such as this, “But a lengthy retreat from my duties would only cause chaos.” Even if he could have trusted Phasma or Reveille with some matters, he preferred not to.

They had their own duties that required their attention, and he had never promoted someone to lieutenant-general. It seemed a fairly useless position to him. “Are you already wishing to return to your former position, Lieutenant?”

At the sound of the crack of her whip, Kylo attempted to dodged the weapon, but it snapped on his upper arm. Even through the fabric of his clothes, he could feel the sting. Bitch. He couldn’t let that whip hit him again.

But her words? He snarled at her comment. She thought she had the advantage, and she did. He had to fix that. In his anger, he briefly forgot about their agreement, that he wouldn’t use the Force, and he used that ability to push her over as he stood to his full height.

He made no mention over his error. Blade-end of his polearm pointed in her direction, he took long strides over to her supine form, raising the weapon as he readied himself to strike her.

Pity that this blade wasn’t sharper. A harmless sparring match, yet he wanted to draw blood. Prove that she was only human.

~~

His answer silenced her. Lavinia felt slight heat rush to her cheeks as she felt slight embarrassment at the truth in his statement. What else could she say to that that he wouldn’t quickly counter? Nothing, and so she remained silent until she gathered the courage to ask what she thought was a simple question.

She wasn’t surprised by his answer. Maybe a bit disappointed though. She wanted to delve even further, ask him that surely he had some sort of hobby he indulged in on the occasion, but his own question to her changed her train of thought.

Once they entered the cafeteria, she followed him over to the tea station, opting for a beverage less potent than caf. “Even if I said no, would you believe me?” Her question was sharp, as sharp as the look she would give him if she looked in his direction.

She grabbed a cup and began preparing her tea. “But you-,” she paused, biting the inside of her cheek as she thought over her words. “Never mind.” Her tone softened from the near biting one she just held. “What task do you have for me for when we return?”

The use of the Force was obvious to both Sienar and Kos’tel’lanni, who had remained silent through this. As Reveille fell over for no apparent reason, Kos’tel’lanni moved forward. Kylo Ren had righted himself as Reveille clearly tried to regain her own footing before Kylo could make a swipe at her.

“Supreme Leader, Admiral, the match is over.”

Kos’tel’lanni did not raise her voice, but it projected all the same. She did not take a weapon out to indicate a threat, and she did not move between them. She felt the heat of Reveille’s glare, knowing the other woman likely would have wanted to continue – but it could not be allowed.

Not after Kylo Ren’s temper flared, and the threat of this becoming far more than a spar was present. Not when ‘accidents happen’ was a motto that Kos’tel’lanni herself was far too familiar with, despite not being among the Cadets.

Not when she was aware that Reveille had threatened Kylo Ren, and could be on his ‘expendable’ list.

“You have used the Force in this match, Supreme Leader, against the terms set. I must ask that you both stand down.” She did not call Kylo out as loser, or indicate anything else, only that both – not one – had to stand down.

~***~

Armitage was aware his words had impacted her. It was as he desired, of course, even if he felt some mild regret that it also did seem to silence her. Conversation wasn’t minded. ‘Does not do well with criticism.’ A mental note was made.

It seemed to bring out her anger. No wonder she had been in analysis before – there wasn’t much criticism or interaction here, just compiling data. Fact and fiction were black and white.

Her own query was snapped, and he gave her a dull look that suggested he was hardly amused with her tone. He didn’t answer immediately because of that, letting his silence speak as he got his own tea, and waiting until they had left the area – and she tried again.

Softened, and tried to get back on task.

“If you had said no, or yes, I would have believed you. I know many ambitious climbers who would prefer a higher position, no matter what it meant,” even if it meant working with someone they loathed. He would prefer to be General than anything else, prefer higher ranks, even if it meant dealing with Kylo Ren.

Obviously, he’d prefer not to deal with him – but the position meant more. “Had you said otherwise, it would have also been understandable. You were shoved into this position without any dialogue on it, and had your old life ripped away from you in mere seconds. If you had not had dreams of anything more than being an analyst, or if you had imagined a more gradual climb, then it would be easy to understand. Adjustment to change is not everyone’s forte, and some do not desire change at all.”

That was the problem, really.

He didn’t linger there, however. She hadn’t offered an answer, and had asked her own question. “I intend to review some of the propaganda plans for the Core worlds, now that we’re here. With our losses we do need to rebuild from that,” ships and people, “You can do a comparative analysis of the prices of materials, from ready-built ships to raw doonium. I’ll need the information to determine the best way to go forward, and how to divide our funds based on our needs.”

Kylo’s arms were in the air, fully prepared to strike down on Reveille with full fury. He wanted to be the reason a spark of fear flashed in her eyes. They didn’t back in that hallway, and they didn’t now. But he could show her what he was truly capable of.

His arm froze when Kos’tel’lanni announced the match was over. Because of his blunder for using the Force. Well, fuck.

Without looking away from Reveille’s form, he lowered his arms and tossed the weapon aside. He wouldn’t fight against Kos’tel’lanni’s ruling, even if he did wish to continue until neither one of them could move.

As far as he was concerned, this was a loss, as he did break the rules they set. Kylo took a step closer to Reveille, and lowered his voice for only her to hear. “We will finish this match, when your friends aren’t here to save you.”

He stepped away, but he didn’t break his gaze from Reveille. He didn’t trust to turn his back on her so soon. “I suppose we shall continue on to what we were doing before?”

At least Sienar was far from his mind now.

~~

Armitage’s lengthy response stunned Lavinia into nonresponse. Of course he would speak of logic and sense, he was a damn general after all, and she slipped up again. She would offer an apology, but previous responses led her to believe he didn’t quite believe in those. He believed in actions.

She didn’t speak up again until he finished explaining to her their next step. Step after step, like a well-oiled machine, until he reached his end goal. And undoubtedly working until the day he dies.

Instead of continuing off of his plans, Lavinia directed the conversation to the previous topic. At least temporarily. And she spoke like Althea would. “Truthfully, I didn’t want this at first. Our Supreme Leader can be...intimidating, and to be told of a new position in the middle of chaos? It was shocking. But after the fact, I saw this as an opportunity to prove myself as someone who can contribute more than just data analysis.” A bitter laugh. “I guess I’m fucking that up splendidly.”

She took a deep breathe, willing her racing heart to calm down. “I do wish to stay. Not because it is demanded of me, but because I do want to help.” Another pause. “I already have numbers saved for several types of ready-built ships, but raw doonium fluctuates in price so often, I stopped saving it.”

A change in subject, perhaps for her own sake. If General Hux decided to further comment on what she said, then so be it.

Reveille didn’t respond to Kylo’s comment, even if she felt in agreement with it. This battle was not over. Not by a longshot. However, she would appreciate the interjection by Kos’tel’lanni for the time being. She had spared Sienar any grief from Kylo, and made sure Kylo breaking the rules was called out.

And got away with it.

Kos’tel’lanni stepped forward and offered her hand down to Reveille. The admiral accepted the assistance up, before dusting off her white attire a bit and returning to where her abandoned knives were. “I believe we were on our way to take a look at the rest of the pertinent areas of the Exigency,” Reveille noted, “Unless you have seen enough.”

He clearly had no real reason to be examining it. He had no area in mind, and seemed to just be following their lead without question or comment. “Then we could instead move to the topic of Governor Tarkin, and proceeding with that matter.” Reveille offered. While she would rather see it all handled without Kylo Ren, there was no way to keep him out of it now.

But, the sooner it was dealt with, the better, all around. Tarkin remained a notable neutral party.

~***~

Armitage did arch a brow as she suggested she wanted to stay – to prove she could do more than data analysis. Which, obviously, he wasn’t utilizing her much for anything else. It was her skillset, and it was useful. Not to mention the trust between them, while not exactly existent before, was certainly frayed now.

He did accept that answer, if only because her frustration with herself did seem genuine.

And she had a good start on prices. “If you already have a list of prices for ships, I would like that forwarded to me. You can begin to work on compiling the updated information for doonium. I expect it’ll be needed in the next couple of days. I would also look into compiling information on kyber,” it was always needed for their weapons, among other things. “As well as the components for our Stormtrooper’s armor,” he added.

He supposed he may also want to consider additional components for the new armor of the Captain, but that could be discussed with them.

With those things stated, he did move on to ask, “How do you foresee yourself helping the Order, beyond data analysis, in this position, Lieutenant?” To him it seemed like a glorified babysitting job, utterly pointless beyond the tasks he handed out.

Perhaps she had ideas.

Did he really wish to see more of the Exigency? Kylo knew he didn’t truly care about where everything was, or if everything was in top order. He knew it was. Maybe that’s one reason why Admiral Hux annoyed him. He knew she had everything in order, and he couldn’t chastize her for any error. Because there was none.

He almost wondered if he should’ve offered a hand for Reveille, to rub salt in the wound. But Kos’tel’lanni already moved to do just that, and so Kylo walked forward to grab his cowl from the floor and fastened it back around his body.

“Governor Tarkin is more imperative to our discussions.” He straightened out his clothing, finally satisfied at no more apparent wrinkles after their scuffle. “Take us to a private room where we can discuss this matter in more detail.”

And so he can tell them that he will be meeting with Tarkin along with Reveille. There is no changing him on that.

~~

She took it as a positive sign that he didn’t directly comment on her own frustrations. Maybe he accepted what she told him, or maybe he was just annoyed with her in general and didn’t wish to speak on it further.

“I can do that as soon as we’re back in your office.” Maybe it was good that he just skipped to her statement, that she already had some prices saved from previous tasks (and previous jobs). “The rest I can get to you before the morning shift starts.” What time was it exactly? She did know was that she could tell it was quite late.

Lavinia wasn’t confident in how she wanted to answer Armitage’s question. She couldn’t very well tell him her true motivation in continuing the job. So she did what she does best. She lied.

“I mean no disrespect when I say this, but even the best of us need a second opinion or a second pair of eyes. Maybe I can warn you of a glaring flaw. Also, my skills do extend beyond than those of a data analyst.” Should she have mentioned that last bit? “I will do whatever it takes to get the job done.” The last part was not a lie.

Lavinia was willing to do what it took to get the job done. Anything besides dying.

Shifting gears was certainly appreciated by both Kos’tel’lanni and Reveille. Kos’tel’lanni offered, “My office is not far from here,” neither was Reveille’s, at least the one outside of her room, the ‘public’ office, but she wouldn’t volunteer that. She’d pushed her luck enough. “We should have adequate privacy there, Supreme Leader.”

Reveille accepted it wordlessly, the last knife tucked away, and she’d take the lead in seeing them out of the training facility, without so much as acknowledging Sienar.

Better to ignore him, so that Kylo forgot about his existence.

Kos’tel’lanni did step forward to unlock her own room, even if Reveille could have done so easily. It remained a matter of courtesy.

Kos’tel’lanni’s office was unlike many others. There was life to it, for one – literal life in the form of plants, the lights that glowed in the room powered by kyber and giving off a similar energy to suns, to keep them alive. None of the plants were florals, though – the air did not contain a note of any offensive flowers, just…clean. Almost sharp.

The designs that held the datapads in place, or stacked them, were also ornate, elegant in white and gold designs, sticking to the motif of the colors of the admiral and naval rankings. There was a bit of art on the walls, a three-panel set that seemed to be showing the life of a star, another larger painting of Csilla, and a statue in the back that had vines growing over it of the twi’lek goddess – at least, as Rani saw her, and she had approved the vining.

Kos’tel’lanni did not speak of the room, of course, nor did Reveille as they came in. She moved right to her desk and brought her datapad onto the table, “I have not responded to Governor Tarkin’s message just yet, but he would like to set a date to meet as soon as possible. Given that most of our work will be to repair the Supremacy at this time, before we make larger moves, it seems this ought to be handled tomorrow, or the following day.”

“I can go tomorrow,” Reveille said, “assuming I am not needed for anything else immediately?” She didn’t imagine so.

~***~

Althea was prepared to have the information in full to him by the morning. He was fairly certain it was already morning, but he wouldn’t make that comment. He understood what she meant – a normal person’s morning, not technical morning. He did arch a brow as she elaborated.

An elaboration that was fairly useless.

He was aware, of course, that a second look at things was usually necessary. He had many eyes on Starkiller to make sure it wouldn’t have the same glaring errors as the Death Star. It still failed, but only because it was struck internally. From the outside, it had been nearly impenetrable.

What else did she offer? The vague statement that she had other skills. He bit his tongue on commenting that she was fairly good at dusting. That was likely not that sort of skill she meant to contribute, “Yes, I’m sure you have all the standard skills of any officer,” marksmanship, perhaps given her role she knew binary and another language, “your skills do not suggest to me what you think you could do. Simply because I am capable of shooting a blaster, does not make me capable of killing General Organa. I do not have the skillset required to get that close to her, without an army clearing the way first.”

He was no spy, nor a shapeshifter. He couldn’t disguise himself, and he knew his own clipped, trained accent would make it obvious he was not a rebel.

Kylo nodded at Kos’tel’lanni’s answer, signalling his contentment with her words. The decision to use her office instead of Reveille’s own didn’t escape him, but he hardly cared enough to bring up the matter. Which was also the case with Sienar. He remembered about how he stalked into the training room in the first place to confront the man, but he didn’t bother to say or do anything to him before he left.

There would be another time for that.

Stepping into the office, he glanced around at her choice for decorations. It was unusual, especially in the First Order. Many were very organized and clean, sterile looking. And cold. Yet hers clearly held as much personality as the Chiss who decorated it.

“Agreed. There nothing else at the moment that requires our immediate attention, so the meeting should be held soon.” And Reveille still did not know that he would be accompanying her, despite her own wishes and those of Governor Tarkin.

“Tell him we’ll meet with him tomorrow morning.”

--

You could never kill General Organa. But she didn’t wish to think about a galaxy without General Organa. Lavinia was certain the Resistance wouldn’t have the strength to continue without her. She was the thread that held them together. Hope.

She debated on furthering elaborating on any skills that may be more atypical for officers. It could only lead to either General Hux realizing she may have worth, or it could lead to his becoming suspicious of his assistance. She could hardly tell him of how she was able to send encrypted messages to Resistance officers right underneath the noses of his top officers.

Or could she tell him about how she managed to directly steal from one of the Hutts high up in their criminal empire? Seduction played a key role, and even to this day, she still felt his clammy arm wrap around her shoulders. No, it would be best if she did not elaborate any further on her skills.

“Maybe, over time, I will just be able to show you what I can do, and from there you can judge me how you wish. But do not think that my skills are merely basic. I know you may think me incompetent, or one step above that.” That observation didn’t take much to figure out. “But I do know that you and Admiral Hux are hiding something significant concerning the Supreme Leader.”

Despite attempts to hide it, and despite the chaos of everything shifting, Lavinia figured out something was going on.

‘We’ll meet.’

It did not escape Kos’tel’lanni or Admiral Reveille’s notice. “Supreme Leader, I would caution you on this decision. Negotiating with Governor Tarkin has been tricky at best. A surprise such as this may cause him to refuse negotiations all together.” Obviously, she would not try to tell him he couldn’t, but he should be considerate. “If we scare Governor Tarkin at this point, we will find ourselves dealing with a larger threat than the Resistance in our immediate future.”

The Admiral had felt her throat tighten in pure rage, and fear, when Kylo said it. Because Tarkin knew what she was doing with the Force tech. And Tarkin had seemed like he could be a potential ally to some of her plans, even if they’d yet to touch on the subjects.

He might have been more willing to work with them, without Kylo in the picture.

“Of course, if you insist, I shall certainly make Governor Tarkin aware of the changes to try and stave off any potential for issues that this may cause, but I ask you to take a moment to consider the impact that this could have and weigh the decision.” Kos’tel’lanni would do her best to spin it to see that the meeting still happened.

No matter what, seeing the First Order move forward was key.

~***~

“If I thought you were incompetent, you would not be within the ranks of the First Order,” Armitage clarified, though he did not move on to state he did not think her competence exceeded the norm. She seemed to think everything lied in the skills she had, which was her downfall, in some ways.

Then again, it made her a good lieutenant. Lieutenants needed a variety of skills, and little ambition to rise – they just needed ambition to serve, and be capable of giving orders to others. They were trusted followers, moreso than some others. Their skills did not involve deep thought or strategic planning.

Thus, it did not involve plans to furthering the First Order, beyond what they themselves were ordered to do.

When she elaborated a bit, he did wonder if she had a death wish. Had she said that in front of Reveille, it certainly would have put her on the hit list. Likely, it should do the same for him, given how often Althea would be around the Supreme Leader. Kylo might ignore that thought, of course.

But if he didn’t…and if he came to find what Armitage had saved….

“However, I am beginning to reconsider your competency.” And not in a good way. She apparently forgot how the halls had ears.

He wouldn’t say anything else then, not wanting to continue anything in the halls if she wanted to press it. He even made a point to lengthen his strides so it would not be so easy to walk at his side.

What he didn’t do, however, was deny it.

An eyebrow raised at the words spoken, cautioning him against attending this meeting. Of course he would attend the meeting. He was the new Supreme Leader, and he fully intended on proving his capabilities in any manner he saw fit.

Even if it meant paying a visit to the intolerable Governor Tarkin.

“Then we won’t surprise him.” Surely a man like Governor Tarkin isn’t often startled or frightened by an unexpected visitor, but he’ll humor their need and send a warning out to the man over his arrival. “Let him know I’ll be joining Admiral Hux in the arrival to the planet.”

He looked at Reveille, as if he knew her secret. As if he knew she had an ulterior motive for visiting Governor Tarkin. He began to speak before shifting his focus back to Kos’tel’lanni. “This meeting will happen. Tomorrow morning. And it will not happen without my presence.”

~~

Lavinia would have to disagree with General Hux. There were some officers in the First Order, she felt, were completely incompetent. Or simply lacked apathy for anything. But he didn’t need to know her opinion on that matter.

Her jaw tensed. She did not appreciate it when someone questioned her intelligence or worth, and Armitage did just that. But maybe she could work it in her own favor if he started to believe her incompetent. He would question her motives less.

She noticed his change in pace. She noticed how he did not comment on the accuracy of her statement. “Body language is a funny thing.” Lavinia kept her own pace to remain a few steps behind Armitage. “It can tell us so much with every little odd tic or nuance.”

Or maybe she just really needed to not test General Hux anymore. Just blend in and do her damn job.

Of course Kylo Ren was going to insist on it. Octavia knew she shouldn’t hope that the meeting went straight to hell, but she did. ‘It’s not good for the Order if it fails.’ It would be even more of a headache to deal with. She should want this to go well, but she didn’t think it would.

Governor Tarkin wasn’t an easily scared man, for one.

He came from the bloodline that had kept Darth Vader in line. He had an enviable pedigree for anyone aspiring to greatness, not to mention the allies to start his own war if he wanted to. Dealing with him was…difficult. And just killing him was out of the question; he had family, and friends, who would move immediately.

“Very well,” Reveille found herself saying, “Set the meeting for 7am.” She hoped Kylo wasn’t used to waking up so early. She hoped it would annoy him, some little bit, “You may want to return to your ship so you have time to rest and prepare, Supreme Leader,” she wasn’t going to be offering him a room here. He could go all the way back to the Supremacy and be inconvenienced just that little bit more. “I’ll be leaving from here, for Spira, at 5:45.” That gave her plenty of time to make the jump to lightspeed and arrive on Spira with some time to scope it out a bit.

She already knew Tarkin would agree to the time.

~***~

Body language certainly said much, but so did Althea’s damn lips, still talking in the hallway while following him. If he weren’t so keenly aware of where they were, he might have turned back to slap her. The thought did cross his mind that it might be the only way to teach her to shut up in public.

It was certainly the method Snoke used, more often than not.

He grit his teeth and just kept his pace, all the way back to the room. Only as the door opened with the scan, did he reach out to grab her arm, and pull her right into the room ahead of him. He let her go as soon as he’d pulled her forward, and he was in on her heels.

“If you claim competency one more time while airing out your foolish beliefs that you know some grand secret, I will just put a blaster to your head and end your misery before someone else does,” Armitage snapped.

His sister would find out about this, he knew. The spies she had throughout the Order would report this, given she had Althea on closer watch. “I know that all you’re accustomed to is the screen, and your friends who clearly do not mind their words, but if you are going to work in the upper echelons of the First Order, you need to understand that you can’t air every thought in the open. Not only will you attract enemies in the First Order, you will alert potential Resistance spies to it.”

He knew they existed in their ranks. Finding them was the hard part, but he knew, and so he always had to assume something of his plans was reaching the Resistance. “Do you understand, Lieutenant? You can save comments like that, however false they may be, until we are in a secured area.”

Kylo was pleased that Reveille didn’t put up any sort of argument against his unexpected and intrusive plan to accommodate her to the meeting. Maybe she would be just as collegial during their brief mission.

But he did wish to see Governor Tarkin. He knew of their shared past, which he hoped led to diplomatic discussions of a future alliance, but he was also prepared to fight the family if need be.

“If you’re departing directly for Spira from your ship so early, then shouldn’t you be so kind as to offer your Supreme Leader a place to stay for the evening?” He knew the game she played at, and so he offered his own test in her patience and devotion to the First Order by agreeing or refusing to accommodate the very person she wished to see dead.

“That way we could arrive together, which would benefit us all, don’t you agree?” Kylo did wish to see if Reveille would outright deny his request, or if she would humor him.

~~

Her heart pounded in her chest at the same tempo of their footsteps in the corridor. The silence of Armitage promised more threat than if he spoke to her again of her loud mouth in such an open area. She wasn’t going to die because her secret got revealed; she was going to die because she managed to piss of General Hux enough with her words.

She kept up with his pace back to the room. When Armitage grabbed her arm and pulled her through the entrance, she let out a huff of air at the sudden jerk and the idea of being manhandled. But she didn’t directly comment on the action. Armitage may actually pull out his blaster if she did.

Lavinia allowed him to air his grievances towards her recent actions without a single interruption. Her face remained stoic, even if she was fully aware that his threats were genuine. And the passing comment of alerting Resistance spies? Not a twitch on her face.

But she was right on her assumption. She had to be. The very notion of his anger directed towards her marked the actions of a man who was hiding something. “I understand, General.”

‘Do not sass the Supreme Leader in front of Kos’tel’lanni, Kos’tel’lanni can’t save you if you sass the Supreme Leader.’ Reveille took a breath to keep herself from saying some of the first thoughts that crossed her mind, variously taunting or aggravating, with a few she was fairly certain would zip right over Kylo’s head.

“The Exigency is not a ship made to house guests, Supreme Leader, and unlike others in our fleet, it has not suffered heavy losses. If you wish to stay here, you may have to stay in barracks, or quarters far beneath your station. I thought you would prefer the opportunity to return to your own room, and rendezvous in the morning. If that is not the case, we can certainly locate the best accommodations available on the ship.”

“Don’t you have a couch in your quarters?”

‘Kos’tel’lanni I will cut you.’ Reveille could see the amusement on her face, even if it was almost a perfect poker face, a suggestion made out of concern or consideration.

“I suppose that may not be as comfy as some beds, though. And you are rather tall.” Kos’tel’lanni mused, seeming to backstep away from the idea. All she’d wanted to do was say it, to see how quick it would take to get the murder-look from Reveille. Not long at all.

~***~

Armitage didn’t believe her.

She seemed to take a step back, every time she made progress. She offered to help make a search function, only to start spouting things like that out in the open. She was frustrating. Or maybe it was only the hassle of having to deal with someone frequently.

He wasn’t used to that.

If he had already slipped so badly that she knew something was being hidden, he would have to get used to it, and quickly. “Being in such close contact with myself, and others in high command, you will find yourself familiar with, or recognizing, that some bits of information are being kept secret. This is necessary in a war. You will also have to keep these kinds of thing to yourself. It's not data to be spread about and compiled and archived."

He couldn’t outright say that he was keeping secrets from Kylo Ren, but he could admit to secrets. That was a given – but Althea was still Kylo’s little spy. And she might say enough to him to cause a problem if he didn’t find a way to smooth this over.

Kylo let out an unimpressed noise at the announcement that Reveille’s ship could not house guests. The likelihood of important guests on either ship during their time of chaos and war was small, but both the Supremacy and the Finalizer still held that capability. “Perhaps that should be rectified.”

He was going to announce that he will simply return to his ship, but Kos’tel’lanni spoke up at the absolute perfect moment. “What a great suggestion.” If Reveille didn’t like the man before, then she was surely going to hate him for what he said next.

“If that’s the case, then surely Admiral Hux wouldn’t mind letting the Supreme Leader using her bed for this one night?” He emphasized his title to highlight his role, his dominance over her. Kylo silently dared her to deny him and his request, a simple one in the grand scheme of things.

But one that infiltrated her own privacy.

~~

“I know of the necessities of war,” she hissed as if an immediate reflex to Armitage’s words. She wouldn’t elaborate further on her abrupt statement. If Armitage didn’t think too much on her words, then maybe she’ll just be chastise for sacrificing as much as any other officer in the First Order for this war.

Her face softened. She knew being stuck with Hux due to Kylo’s demand did not put her in any positive light on top of her loose tongue. No doubt he saw her as Kylo’s ally, even if it’s been established she didn’t wish for this as much as he did.

Lavinia debated on her next words. Like everything else she did, they would be a gamble. But she knew of Armitage’s animosity towards Kylo Ren. Could that be their common ground? “I won’t tell him anything you don’t want him to hear.” But he had no reason to trust her and her words.

“Ha!” Reveille couldn’t stop the sound from escaping her as Kylo Ren suggested he would take her bed. Over her dead body. Which, she supposed, it could very well come to that, but he was not stepping into her room. “You can use the couch, Supreme Leader, if you are so intent on remaining on my ship. Much like yourself, I happen to need my sleep before this meeting as well, and I refuse to be compromised by your indiscretion.”

On this much, she would not budge. If he intended to use her room, he would have the couch. If he so much as tried to take the bed, well – she could wait until he was asleep. She’d have to buy new sheets once they were ruined by his blood, but it was a small price to pay.

Kos’tel’lanni held her tongue here, but she was making her mental notes. Kylo Ren was apparently trying to figure how he could push Reveille, no doubt thinking she had nothing to push back with any longer.

And of course, she didn’t know how much was preserved, either.

But apparently this was the point where a line was drawn. Kos’tel’lanni did not regret the suggestion in the least, though Kylo opting to suggest taking the bed was unexpected, but intriguing all the same.

The Supreme Leader was quite a bit more petty than Kos’tel’lanni gave him credit for.

~***~

Armitage scoffed at her words, not giving the statement an initial thought. So many people thought they knew the sacrifices of war. Her behavior hadn’t suggested it at all, at least not at the moment, but after his scoff, he noticed the way that her expression softened. Strange.

Her words were not how he expected her to follow it up.

Did he believe her? Of course not.

“Even if I believed that,” he said, “You are forgetting our Supreme Leader has the ability to read minds. If you so much as act suspicious,” or ran her mouth, or snapped at him, “he’ll know what you’re hiding.” And that could lead Kylo Ren right to him. “And right now you do not seem to be capable of hiding much. Why did you tell me of your suspicions in the first place?”

That hadn’t been a smart move. Unless she thought she could gain from it – she must have. Or did she think it proved her competence somehow? Obviously, she must have seen now how that backfired.

Kylo couldn’t stop the twitch of irritation on her face when Reveille let out that annoying sound that mocked him. He started to feel as if she forgot her own place in the hierarchy, with him clearly having control over everything there.

“Your ship?” He nearly scoffed. “And lest I remind you, it is as much as your ship as it is mine now.” Kylo didn’t care if he pissed her off with what he said. He felt as if she often forgot that while she held authority over most in the First Order, he held authority over everyone, including her own subordinates.

Could he command the same respect from them as she could? No, but in his eyes, that was not the point.

And so her further patronized her. “Would you like to try that again?” A futile question most likely. She would prove to be stubborn and unyielding in her offer, and instead of taking a hit to his pride and sleep on the couch, Kylo would march back to his own ship until the next morning.

~~

Armitage had a point. No matter what she did or promised, there was still the possibility of Kylo penetrating her mind and discovering all of her secrets. If that happened, then Armitage wouldn’t have to worry about his own secrets that she learned. Not when her own was far greater.

“Our Supreme Leader seems like quite the busy man right now. I’m confident that most of our conversations will take place over datapads for the time being.” A sure way to carefully curate any message she will send him.

“I am hiding a lot more than you may think, General.” She did not elaborate, but instead went on to her next thought. “I told you to prove that I know more than you may think. And I can either inform the Supreme Leader of my suspicions, or I won’t.”

Lavinia treaded on dangerous grounds, and one wrong move could easily be her last.

‘I could take this ship and no one on it would argue about leaving the First Order proper.’ Reveille knew better than to say that. Or to believe it was completely true. But she liked to think it was mostly true, given the experiences plenty of her non-human crew had with the First Order proper.

But where would she go?

What would she do?

And she couldn’t just leave Armitage like that. He’d likely face the brunt of Kylo’s anger for such a rash decision.

That didn’t mean she was going to dignify his statement with agreement. “No,” Reveille answered, “There is nothing I want to change in what I said earlier.” She would not be ‘trying it again’. She said, and meant, what she said.

~***~

Althea claimed that it was likely she would be communicating with the Supreme Leader over datapad from now on. Neither of them knew that for certain. It wasn’t a gamble that Armitage was willing to make.

Her next words seemed more threatening than agreeable. As if she was planning to tell Kylo that his General was hiding something, if she wasn’t told. “You will have to decide what you tell him, I suppose.” Armitage couldn’t help but sneer at the threat.

She would tell Kylo whatever she wanted, regardless. “Neither of us know how this matter is going to proceed with regards to your arrangement with the Supreme Leader, whether he will insist on meeting you, or find conversation by datapad agreeable. Gambling on the latter is foolhardy, particularly if you have your own secrets you’d prefer he not find out.”

He took her words to imply that. “And understand that anything you say to him, may cause him to think you’re only hiding more. If you were to say I had a secret, but wouldn’t tell him what that was, he might dig into your head just out of principal.” It was a warning, as much as it was a way to try and safeguard this.

“If you are able to meet with him over datapad, it may be advantageous to keep recordings of those, however.” For her own benefit, but if she wanted to continue to try and convince Hux she might be on his side, she could prove that she wasn’t telling Kylo Ren anything incriminating. And if it was all over simple messages, even better. Easier to keep the record.

The two faced an apparent standoff, and neither wanted to budge for their own pride. But Kylo wouldn’t sink himself so low as to sleep on a damn couch in Reveille’s quarters. He could imagine the embarrassment already, with his feet hanging off the side and possibly rolling from the furniture in the midst of his restless sleep.

“So be it.” He was steady, oddly calm, in his words, and any hint of annoyance evident on his face was gone. Reveille would win this round, but Kylo would not forget the moment. And tomorrow, he will keep a very close eye on the admiral.

“I will return to my ship for the night, and we will meet tomorrow morning on Spira before the meeting begins.” And throughout the night, he will think of ways he could easily dispose of Reveille that Armitage wouldn’t lash at him for.

“Is there anything you would like to add before I leave?”

~~

He was right. Lavinia hated to admit it, but General Hux had a great point. Everything about the immediate future was uncertain, and given Kylo Ren’s track record, he would be unpredictable with their means of communication. He could potentially ask for a report via datapad. He could go out of his way to ensure they meet face to face for a verbal report.

“Very well.” There was no way of knowing.

But she couldn’t risk any situation where Kylo could find a reason to dig around her head. That had to be prevented by any means possible, even if it meant throwing someone else to the lions.

With his suggestion of keeping the recordings, she saw a chance at possibly proving to him that she meant what she said. He will be a hard one to prove herself to. In the meantime, she shifted the conversation back to their previous task at hand. “I’ll have the report on the comparative cost analysis of various materials for you shortly, including the recent price trends in doonium and kyber.”

Kylo conceded the point. Reveille didn’t smirk, or even smile, but nodded, acknowledging his shift, and that he would meet Reveille on Spira rather than travel with her. That would give her an evening to herself to take care of a few matters before reaching Spira.

“Only that you should consider dressing for the environment, and that I hope you rest well, Supreme Leader.” She wouldn’t be offering to take him back to his ship. He could easily find a pilot, or another smaller craft, and return to the Supremacy, or the Finalizer, wherever he made his home for the time being.

At least her room was safe. For now.

Kos’tel’lanni was the one to offer, “If you need a ship to return to your own, I can take you back to a hangar and see the arrangements made,” she knew she wasn’t truly escaping a talk with Reveille, but she also knew that she had to maintain her dutiful appearance, and make the offer where Reveille wouldn’t.

Kylo Ren might not accept it, but at least it was extended.

~***~

Althea seemed to understand Armitage’s point. She didn’t argue at all, but agree with it, more or less. If she considered his plan for recordings, though, she didn’t mention it.

It would be her decision, in the end, and he would have to navigate it and stay alive, as he usually did.

He allowed the topic shift, though, with a sharp nod. “I would like the reports on the ship costs now, so I can begin that analysis,” she had stated she had it, or that it would be more quickly finished, so he could work on that as she began to look in to the comparative costs of the raw material.

And start figuring out the budget, and speak with those repairing the Supremacy so he could also plot that budget. Kylo Ren was too hopeless to ever ask to look over these things.

I hope you rest well. Kylo nearly scoffed; her false care did not fool him. “Feigned niceties don’t suit you, admiral.” He almost wished he had agreed to sleep on her couch, that way he would get more time to get more from her.

And he knew that her relinquishing part of her bedroom to him for the night opened up a vulnerable part of her. And that was what he wanted.

“That would be acceptable, thank you.” While stomping down the corridors and barking orders at a random officer of Reveille was tempting, he needed to save face for now. And a chance at a private conversation with her right hand woman may introduce some topics of the admiral he wanted to know.

“Enjoy your trip tomorrow, Admiral.” His tone did not hint at sincerity, but rather mocked her.

~~

Lavinia nodded with Armitage’s command. It was for the best that their topic at hand changed, lest she wished to incriminate herself even further under the general’s observant eye. As much as her own.

“Yes, sir.” Without another word she turned and made her way back to his office, where her datapad laid on his desk, as well as the information on all of the Stormtroopers they were deciding between.

She sat back in the chair she previously occupied before their break, and she was swift to upload the ship costs into one report for ease of access for Armitage. They may be at each other’s throats, but that didn’t mean she couldn’t try for some small symbol of peace.

Barely a minute later, she announced, “I’ve sent you the report.”

Reveille barely managed to contain the eye roll that wanted to follow Kylo’s own hardly-feigned niceties. She managed it, though, and followed them out only so far as the door. Then she turned off. Kos’tel’lanni would know where to find her, later, when she had finished up tidying up this mess and seeing the Supreme Leader off her ship.

Which, Kos’tel’lanni intended to do, as she led Kylo in the opposite direction, “Pardon me a moment, Supreme Leader,” she spoke as she drew out her own datapad to send a few quick messages to other officers, “I am seeing that we have a ship and pilot prepared in Hangar 2, as it is the closest one to us currently,” she said, though she wasn’t hiding the datapad.

The messages in a group was clear as day, and the rapid-fire responses and requests of others in the group to arrange it, before Kos’tel’lanni set it aside. She did not need to monitor it. The order had been sent, and it would be followed.

She did not jump to a topic, or conversation at all. The movement of the datapad and her request for a moment was her indication that she had only briefly been distracted. From that point on, she would allow Kylo to query as he would like – for she knew, he would like to. Another reason for the offer – Kylo Ren was no doubt curious about Admiral Reveille, as his petty attempts to control her showed.

He would want to try and learn more from those who knew her.

Kos’tel’lanni would allow that, up to the point of him reaching his ship.

Then she’d have to go right back to Reveille and apologize.

~***~

Armitage moved into his office and back to his usual chair, as well. He took his own datapad into his hands then. He hadn’t really checked it while he’d been absorbed in looking through Phasma’s, and so not only was he pleased to see the information uploaded just as quick as Althea said, but also a string of messages from Reveille.

‘This can’t be good.’

And it wasn’t.

Armitage began to shift through them, the first one being a threat to Kos’tel’lanni, that was followed up immediately by how she didn’t mean it, and the story – apparently, Kos’tel’lanni trying to open up her room to Kylo, and how Kylo had jumped on it. And been denied.

I should have just told him who else has been in those sheets. That might have changed his mind.

Armitage palmed his face and groaned. Apparently, Reveille was having a horrible time with Ren, but the worst of it seemed to be that Kylo invited himself along to the meeting with Tarkin.

He knew his reaction would be visible enough to Althea, and so he took a breath and composed himself. “It seems Supreme Leader Ren is going to be visiting with Governor Tarkin tomorrow. As if we needed help in pushing Governor Tarkin to align with the Resistance.” This was going to ruin everything.

Then he’d have to deal with Reveille’s rage, on top of Kylo’s, because Reveille had wanted to see this through for a while, and Kylo never handled failure well. “So perhaps you will not have to meet with him tomorrow.” That might be the only silver lining in this. None of them would have to deal with Kylo.

He didn’t respond to Reveille’s messages, though. They had apparently come in a while ago. She was, with any luck, asleep by now. Or distracted.

Kylo said nothing to Kos’tel’lanni as she told him what she was doing to ensure a speedy exit from Reveille’s ship, but he did acknowledge her actions through a subtle glance he gave in her direction.

While she remained one of the few individuals who had yet to ire him, Kylo still remained unsure of his exact thoughts on Reveille’s right-hand woman. She was competent, that much he knew. And she had to know a lot about Reveille. Not just her as an admiral, but her as a person.

When Kos’tel’lanni indicated that she was done handing out commands to assure speedy departure, Kylo didn’t turn to face her directly, but his attention was focused on her. “Tell me how you’ve come to know Admiral Hux and work directly under her.”

Through Kos’tel’lanni’s answers, he hoped to gain more insight into who Reveille was. Already by questioning Jinah, those who associated with her were very loyal to Reveille. Even under threat of torture.

~~

Lavinia had begun compiling data for recent trends in doonium and kyber prices, yet Armitage’s not-so-subtle reaction to a message on his datapad intrigued her far more. Initially she wasn’t going to bother asking him what was wrong. She was already in hot water with the general.

But he decided to share with her what distressed him. And on first reaction, she wanted to laugh at the situation. If Kylo lost his temper in front of Governor Tarkin, then the First Order can kiss any chance at an alliance goodbye. And that would be great for the Resistance.

Then General Organa can truly try and create an alliance with the Tarkins. It would be the boost that they needed, in both morale and in resources.

“But if he manages to hold his temper, then perhaps this could be a good thing,” she offered. “With their shared history between Grand Moff Tarkin and Darth Vader, maybe an alliance can be forged from their remnants.”

“Of course,” Kos’tel’lanni had no issues with considering an answer for that query. “We met on a derelict ship in Wild Space some years ago. Admiral Reveille was investigating a leak, and I was taking care of a threat from the pirates.” Unbeknownst to Reveille, it had all been a plan to meet the First Order by Csilla. They dispatched her, as they had dispatched Mitth’raw’nuruodo for the Empire.

“It seems my talent for decryption and marksmanship were impressive enough to have me arrested rather than executed,” Reveille had to rule out that Kos’tel’lanni was not actually a pirate, after all, or one of those who had purposefully tried to steal information. “Our conversations from that point on established our current relationship. We had fairly similar goals of wishing to see a unified galaxy, and we both strongly admired what Grand Admiral Mitth’ra’nuruodo of the Empire had attempted to do.”

A strong opponent of the Death Star, but an admired admiral all the same, a genius strategist who had been at odds with the Emperor throughout his life, until his death.

“You’ll be aware of him as the designer of the current TIEs that we use, and the reason we occupied Wild Space was due to his navigation and instructions about safe locations within,” though Mitth’raw’nuruodo had never revealed where Csilla was, and so his information made it easier for those of Csilla to watch the fledgling First Order begin its rise, without them ever being aware of it.

~***~

Armitage wanted to laugh at the naïvete of Althea when she suggested this could be a good thing because of a ‘shared history’. “You have not paid much attention to Governor Tarkin’s stance in the Senate, have you?” Armitage had, much as Reveille. Tarkin had always been on their radar, as a potential ally, or foe.

He had seemed more foe in recent years, making a point to use his name to sway, but also distancing himself from Wilhuff. He had also been one of the few to stand up for General Organa when Senator Carise made sure she was outed as Darth Vader’s daughter. “How true any of it is, is up for debate. Politicians are snakes.” All of them.

Perhaps, especially, Tarkin.

“Governor Tarkin has made a point to make it clear he is not Wilhuff Tarkin, going so far as to try and save General Organa’s political career when the Senate turned on her en-masse when she was outed as Darth Vader’s daughter.” He could have done it simply to protect his own image, but nonetheless…he had done it.

And his image was a hard one to pierce. He’d tried to get Carise to see that Tarkin was slandered, he had his skeletons and his secrets, but every single time he’d found ways to brush it off, or blithely agree, and in that, challenge people to question him further on it. He was ever-prepared.

Armitage had no doubt he would even be prepared for Kylo Ren. “He would be a great asset,” he said, “but I highly doubt Ren is going to make any convincing arguments based on blood. He’s also Leia’s son, after all.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back