• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Feed Us [DMed RP]

Venom Adhamm

No one is ever going to want me
EDIT: Thread created:

This is meant to be a DMed RP. That means you will create a character and control only the actions of that character, while I control the world, NPCs, and the outcome of your character's actions. You may elect to have a private RP where it'll just be the two of us, or you can choose to be with other players. However, if choosing the latter, you must decide which players you want to be in a group with, and all your characters must already know each other (though they can be just recently acquainted). If you are in a group with other players, you may at any point break off from the group and have a private RP.

This is posted on the interest check forum to gather attention. This will be posted on the primary Fantasy forum, complete with a character sheet template if enough interest is generated. I have two purposes in trying to create this RP. The first is to craft a story and world that takes a grimmer and more postmodernist outlook. The second purpose is to try to become a better writer so people will be interested in DMing RPs for me.

For full disclosure, this is the second RP I've created that takes place in the world of Zephyr. The first RP taking place in this world was "A Heart of Ice," and as such, many elements from that RP (such as some of the gods, races, and the creation story) are present in this one. This RP takes place many years before "A Heart of Ice."

"Will you not take pity on this poor soul? How can you all walk right past another of your kind who starves alone in the cold, cast aside on this pavement here?"

"Because you're a short and ugly guy. Nobody cares about short and ugly guys."

"What? But... don't you think human life is precious? Won't you feed me?"

"If human life were precious, you wouldn't be struggling so hard to cling to it. Life's meaningless. We're born by chance and we die for no good reason."

"How can you be so dark?"

"I've watched too many die and wither away."

"Is that right? I think you're just a dick."

Feed Us

A dark, satirical, and deeply bitter journey into the heart of Vanitati

Table of Contents

1) World

2) Gods

3) Races

4) Starting Weapons

5) Closing Notes

1) World

There have been several Universes, each one created by the Elder Gods. These beings drift carelessly, bringing both destruction and creation to the places they go. Some care not about the fates of mortals. Others actively meddle in these lesser affairs, forming pacts or simply driving people insane. As each Universe dies, either by the sting of time or the wrath of the Gods, another eventually takes its place. Each Universe is vastly different from the last, but there is always one constant: the planet Zephyr and the races that eventually inhabit it.

The country of Vanitati is peculiar in that it always seems detached from the troubles of the world. Tourists rarely visit the place. The main reason for this is simply because the people of Vanitati seem "off." Many walk through life with a deep sense of existential nihilism, and the ones that don't are often highly dramatic and shout a lot. Beggars on the side of the street are a rarity, as people who reach that low point typically discover for themselves that life has no meaning, then kill themselves shortly after.

Even still, many people in Vanitati are genuinely happy. Many live rich, fulfilling lives where they make enough money to live, achieve what they want to achieve, and have a lover to take care of them physically and emotionally. Many others, however, find themselves with only enough money for necessities, failing to amount to anything, and failing to have any kind of physical or romantic contact with another.

At its founding, Vanitati was a democracy. But, people eventually stopped caring about voting and about what was best for their country. Slowly and surely, Vanitati slipped away from democracy and towards authoritarianism, eventually resulting in the first king of Vanitati, King Tomal, taking power.

It's been thirty years since a monarch first sat upon a throne to rule the nation. Now, King Tomal's son, King Erin is in power. For the most part, his rule has been agreeable, according to the citizens of Vanitati. Few have any complaints. Regardless, Vanitati has its fair share of problems, mostly of the monster and supernatural varieties. The wilderness is occupied by beasts, while at night, some fear of vampires, spirits, and the like. These fears are, of course, completely justified, particularly by the fact that King Tomal was killed by a vampire. This vampire was later caught, mutilated, and murdered.

Though these creatures don't truly threaten the fate of Vanitati or of the world, there is a force that does. Well-known and renowed soothsayers, oracles, and fortune tellers claim that something otherworldly has set foot on the planet Zephyr, and currently walks through the country of Vanitati. None of these people, however, are capable of describing what being has come to Zephyr, only that it hungers insatiably.

2) Gods

These are not the Elder Gods that created the Universe. Rather, these gods were once regular people or animals who, by some method or another, ascended to godhood. While the worship of Elder Gods is typically frowned upon, it's perfectly socially acceptable to worship these gods.

The Dead Monarch: A colossal, unmoving skeletal being, shrouded in darkness and seated in an equally massive throne in the catacombs of a castle somewhere. The Monarch speaks through telepathy and subconscious suggestion. The Monarch will give you tasks in return for strange and unique gifts. The story of this strange lumbering being has been lost to time, and nobody has ever been brave enough to ask.Malcolm: Ancient scripts write of a certain god of fertility and love known only as 'Malcolm'. Shrines to this ancient entity range back hundreds of thousands of years, crafted entirely of smooth carved stone and thatch. Those who follow this god are often seen trying to indoctrinate others by encouraging them to change their names and having them assist in feeding small pieces of rock and mineral to the various statues of Malcolm.Father: Also known as The Allfather, The Giving Father, or The Deity. He is a vast and mysterious being, heavily worshiped in many circles, that gives power to those who don't seek it and none to those who do. He is often depicted as a vague muscular man with a beard, a sword, or both. He is said to have given birth himself to The Son, his equally powerful yet vastly angst ridden kid who threw himself in a furnace to protest his dad or something. The scriptures are very poorly translated. Yet it's said that his screams of "I never asked to be born!" can still be heard to this day.Aryssa: A sapient goldfish that lives in a small fishbowl in an aquarium. There's a sign directly outside her bowl that reads "display only." This sign has been there for over one thousand years. Aryssa offers life advice to all who come to her, in exchange for fish flakes being shaken into her bowl.

The Ruler of Spirits: A strange man living out somewhere as a hermit. He has a strange and peculiar ability, the control over a guardian spirit who fights on his behalf. Many come to challenge him to battle, or to seek tutoring and try to learn the secrets of his power. People typically leave empty-handed, or without hands at all.

The Timeless One: A woman who appears in random places at random times. Those who see her claim she is not of this time period, and that she is extremely kind, generous, and alluring. Many pray to her, hoping she'll appear and grant wishes. It's unknown whether she can actually grant wishes.

3) Races

Human: The first race to be born onto Zephyr, and the most prominent and common race. Humans make up the top 1% and own most of the money and land. Some believe they evolved from primates, while others believe that an Elder God smashed two rocks together, threw dust at the result, and then Humans popped up.

+Found everywhere
+Base health of 100
+Considered by all races to be attractive
+Rarely face any kind of prejudice
-The vast majority of monsters prefer the taste of Human blood

Eldrin: They are the offspring of a group of Humans who were corrupted by the darkness of a particular Elder God. They typically have horn(s), though some were not born with them or removed them to hide their race.

+You have access to one dark-magical ability at the start (describe it, nothing overpowered)
+Base health of 120
+Doesn't require mana to use magic
-Has a natural attraction to evil
-Sometimes feared by others
-Each spell-cast drains health

Dorf: Small, plump creatures, often with extremely long beards, an oversized gun in one hand, and a near-empty bottle in the other. They came into being after a particular Human settlement on Zephyr drank too much of some really strong alcohol, mated, and gave that same alcohol to their children instead of formula milk. The height growth of their children was stunted (though their weight gain remained the same) and the resulting anger from ingesting too much alcohol made them fight each other and eventually become the stronk dorfs they are today.

+Base health of 150
+Heightened alcohol resistance
+STRONK DORF
+Good with heavy melee and ranged weapons
+Does not suffer any movement penalty when using heavy weapons
-Short
-Fat
-Slow

4) Starting Weapon

Your choice of starting weapon does not limit what you can do. For example, a swordsman can still learn to wield magic or shoot a bow. Note: I do not keep track of maximum ammo. That is, you don't have to worry about buying or finding ammunition for your weapons.

Worn Greatsword: A large, two-handed blade. Deals great damage and has great range, but takes time and energy to swing and is not fast enough to parry or block faster attacks. Being a heavy weapon, it also slows down your own movement when it's drawn.

Weathered Longsword: A one-handed blade that has good range and attacks swiftly. It's a very versatile melee weapon that can be used to block, parry, slash, and stab. It doesn't limit your movement very much.

Rusty War Axe: A brutal one-handed axe. Not so good for stabbing or performing any defensive maneuvers, but its slashing attacks often lead to it becoming lodged into the enemy and causing bleeding. Its lighter weight allows you to move quickly, your movement not being hindered at all. It may also be used to cause tetanus in poor people who can't afford medical aid.

Old Dagger and Buckler: A short blade and a small shield. While the dagger does not do nearly as much damage nor have as much reach as other weapons, the buckler allows for greater defense than any of the other choices. The dagger and buckler also do not limit movement at all.

Rotting Bow: A basic longbow made from a piece that came from a tree and some string that came from a store. It shoots arrows and has decent range.

Tattered Spellbook: A magical item that acts as a conduit for spells. It usually hangs off the user's belt and doesn't actually need to be pulled out or opened to use. It transfers its spells and magical properties from its front and back cover to the user's hands, where the spells may then be casted. The power of spells relies on both the caster and the quality of the spellbook. Spells may be cast without the spellbook, but they're often weaker as a result. The pages are actually blank, since the magic is stored in the covers. Many mages use the pages for doodles or journal entries. This spellbook comes with three spells loaded into it.
-Magic Missile
-Weak Heal
-Minor Shield

5) Closing Notes

Please let me know if you're interested in this RP, or just tell me what you think of it. Primarily throughout the story, the players will be going on various adventures (monster hunting, bounty hunting, exploring ruins, so forth), but there is an overarching story that is revealed over time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I found a lot of the setting enjoyable (Father and Aryssa for example), but I'm concerned with the fact that a plot isn't mentioned until the final sentence. The world holds promise, the undertone seeps through with subtlety, but that final sentence is what's truly necessary for the RP's survival! A small glimpse at this 'overarching story' -- no matter how menial -- would be greatly appreciated.

I also have two things I need to note:

- First, a question: Will unmentioned Races be available for playing? Such as a Vampire, seeing as one was mentioned in your post?

- Second, a comment: You may want to get rid of the White Highlights and White Div in the post. If you don't know what I mean, just change your Theme to 'The Night Life' temporarily (just scroll to the bottom of the page and click 'Theme', you'll see it) and look at the post. It happens all the time so I don't mind, but... Still, it's something that bids mention.

All that aside, I'm interested. I'd be thankful if you kept me posted on any updates on the RP's development.

@Ensig

Firstly, thank you for notifying me about the white highlights issue. I'll make sure to have that fixed in the final post. I'll also provide a small glimpse of the overarching story under the "World" section for the final post as well. To answer your question, yes, unmentioned races will be available for playing, but you may only start as one of the three races. So, if you want to play as a Vampire or any other race, you'd have to become it during the course of the RP.

I'll be working a bit more on this RP, making changes and fixes, as well as adding some things and polishing everything up. I'll post again on this thread once the RP is up and running.

Done. I've taken @Ensig's suggestions and added a few things, as well as making minor corrections. Be sure to check under the "World" section on the provided link for two extra paragraphs, one alluding to the overarching story, the other giving context as to what your character is doing.

Interest! I haven't even read everything yet and I'm still interested!

Will we have stats or roll?

I'm in love with what I've read so far so I'm in for sure, just wondering about dice.

@TwistedTruth

The only stats will be health and mana/stamina. Character growth comes from getting new equipment and learning abilities. There's no dice, combat success is determined only by how well you use the environment and your character's abilities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back