Favourite Role Play Genres?

Mewloid

S I N C E R I T Y N A T U R E : カマトト荒療治
<p>

</p>

<div style="text-align:center;"><p><span style="font-size:12px;">Hm, I want to know what favourite role play genres there are out there. I'm a sucker for a good action, fantasy or romance. What about you guys?</span></p></div>

<p>

</p>

Last edited by a moderator:
I love high fantasy adventure, as well as horror, intrigue, and mystery, all for very different reasons.

Survival/apocalypse is my jam because it's so easy to have high amounts of action and angst in that setting.

But of course, I'm also a sucker for dark fantasy because who doesn't love magic and monsters?

Multi-fandom: I just enjoy seeing characters from different tv shows, video games and comics interact

Crossover Fantasy: it's where you are allowed to bring a character from any kind of world to a fantasy world.

Summer Camp: I enjoys these to an extend though i have ever only played one

Zombie Apocalypse: who doesn't

Character Development RPs: I just love RPs where the focus is characters

Low fantasy, survival, friendship if that's a thing (it probably isn't but strong not-quite-romantic love FTW), character development

I typically prefer all flavours of horror, and frequently work in low fantasy or what you might call 'hard fantasy', but in general if something outside my wheelhouse meets my exacting standards I may well sign up.

I love fantasy-based things, but

I am picky. I do not like a lot of fandoms, and I definitely do not want to play Harry Potter-aged kiddos. I like a mature setting, where horror and other sub-genres can filter through without worry.

I also like modernized crime/murder mysteries, as well. I'm a sucker for a good serial killer these days.

Fantasy is my favorite genre, but I'll play almost any if it seems to have a compelling premise. I started with D&D, and I loved Lord of the Rings as a kid. D&D gets a lot of criticism for being all about combat, but I've personally never played it that way, and it still has my favorite setting.

Fantasy for sure, being a huge TES fan. I also like the cyberpunk genre too. The dystopian setting mixed with advanced technology, creates a paradigm that is unique unto itself. I also like a good romance for the feels.

Well thought out Fantasies make my heart soar. I also like Fandom RPs a lot of the time, but once again, they have to be thought out. I don't like the ones where you literally take the plotline of the game-- but you're playing the characters, so the dialogue will be 2% different!!

I used to play DnD a lot, too, but I've kind of fallen out of my love for dice games. That doesn't mean it isn't cool, though. <3

I ADORE fandom RPs, especially those taking place in the Pokemon universe or AUs of any media. I also enjoy fantasy settings, and sometimes sci-fi (depends on the plot). I heavily prefer RPs that have combat involved (but not completely about it), so if fighting is a thing, there's a pretty good chance I'll be in it.

Cyberpunk is probably where my palette of creative influences is at its strongest. Given that mainstream interest in the genre has waned in the past two decades or so, some of the paradigms and themes earlier cyberpunk dealt with have more of a basis in reality today even if their specific predictions about technology itself were completely off. It also works pretty well with a variety of moods and atmospheres, obviously veering more towards crime-noir in more cases than not, but it can make a strong backdrop to many different stories, or played up to the degree of self-parody like Snow Crash.

Still haven't had much time to explore my RP tastes though. As a reader/writer, some really over-the-top kitchen sink science fantasy stuff can almost make my eyes roll out of my head, but at the same time, that stuff is incredibly open-ended and compatible with such an eclectic range of influences that I imagine it could be very fun to actually play. Sure, any story needs some degree of internal consistency and forethought, but if one of the character sheets is, say, a minotaur magitek hacker who also rides around on a jet bike and hacks people's heads off with a proton axe, that gives me a way stronger cue about how to approach the game than, say, 300 pages of make-believe encyclopedia entries about a society of humans, elves, and dwarves who don't like each other very much.

Fantasy almost exclusively

I'm trying to dabble in the realistic slice of life RPs. It's hard when you spend all your time making up powers and now you suddenly can't anymore

Southern Gothic! I'm such a sucker for SoGo but it's not a very common genre, also crime drama, horror, suspense, and troubled romance are all awesome genres!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back