Literature Favorite special words

Pauciloquent - Someone who uses few words in speech.
Malarkey - Nonsense talk.
Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia - The fear of long words. Apologies to anyone with this phobia, since the word triggers its own phobia. :P

Mine will always be Reveries
Also starlit, cerulean, posology and netizen-
Especially netizen, haven’t heard anyone else beside me and my brother use it (´;ω;`)

Stellar

It sounds really nice and it's really underused in modern day speech
(says a person whose primary language isn't English and her "research" just comes from youtubers lol...Well I never said that my opinion is facts to begin with -~-)

Parsimony and profligacy + adjectives derived thereof.

Also penury.

Basically great p words about filthy lucre (or the lack).

Pique, in the meaning of arouse curiosity
Vermilion (color), not particularly uncommon if you need to talk about colors, but it would mostly be just 'red' in general use

I might remember some more later

Indubitably.
Moist. [Though it seems memers are getting on board.]
Smite.
Eviscerate.
Fiend.
Resonance.
Facetious.
Jentacular.
Serendipity.
Agastopia.
Xertz.
Henceforth.

My fav is the powerful smite, the amusing jentacular, the beautiful resonance, the psychotic evicerate, and the triggering moist. Which put that way, sounds like band names, troll joke stories, and medical travesties.

I bet there's more, but off the top of my head:

Ostentatious
Penny-pincher
Fallacy
Windfall
Intelligentsia
Spliced
Milksop
Doppelgänger
Minutiae

There are some in former posts that I like as well.

I’ve always liked:

Coruscation (a sudden display of brilliant light)

Tenebrous (dark, shadowy, or obscure)

Occultation (an object hiding another by passing between the viewer and the object)

Katabasis (the act of descent; in literary use, a journey of descent into the underworld. The related, and also great, word “katabatic” referring to the wind caused by cold, descending air)

Anabasis (the act of ascent; in literary use the journey out of the underworld. There is an anabatic wind too, but I don’t like the word so much.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back