Character Theory Favorite Character Archetypes and Why?

I like arrogant characters - but ones with some intelligence, and a philosophical or intellectual reasoning behind their perceived self-importance.

Gentle Giant

Silent Bob

The Spock

I've always loved stoic/intellectual characters, the ones that everyone relies on to come up with a plan or provide much needed data to piece together an outstanding mystery at just the right moment. Bonus points if they balance their immense mental prowess with a sense of compassion and kindness. Such character that come to mind are Martian Manhunter from DC or Donatello from TMNT (2K3).

I like characters that are weird, I guess, and can't/refuse to blend in or pass as "normal" because of who they are as people (only interested in talking about specific things, look strange/foreign, missing limbs or odd features, unusual habits, etc.).

I also like characters that try. Like, people who want things to be different and are proactive about changing them, instead of letting things happen to them. Characters who think "Someone has to do something and that someone is me." Characters who don't want the world to be the same that it is right now, or are simply just refusing to passively float through life. Especially if this character is rather bad at what they're trying to do, but giving it their all, anyways.

I wouldn't say that I like smart characters, but rather characters that are thoughtful and don't discount other trains of thought.

Last edited:
I am inexplicably drawn to the archetype of the initiate - its a curse really - and most of my favorite characters have always fit this criteria.
Also I enjoy the Hero/Anti-Hero but specifically the funny, always-get-back-up-on-their-feet but flawed type. Conflict - or angst - is always much more entertaining then a perfect character that can do no wrong, I think.
Lastly, I like the type of antagonist that can be considered a "Gray Area" villain, so they''re "evil" but have a reason for it or show signs of "goodness" and not because they are just morose or something. Preferably the type that have multiple ways to achive their goals so if they are thwarted once they have a legit and well thought out new way to continue their scheming.
Oh, and I'm also drawn the strategic type of characters over the overpowered warriors more times then not.

I like loyal, stoic strong characters. Ones who have deep emotional or traumatic scars that prevent them from being open with others. Initially difficult to get along with perhaps, but once they accept someone they are very protective of them and are ultimately loyal. The kind of person people know not to mess with or anger, though it's not easy to piss them off anyway. Veteran warriors who have been around the block and have grown to detest war and question the reasons for it. They serve their lord out of duty, but they have grown to hate violence and see war for what it really is, not how it's glorified by society.

I also enjoy philosophical characters. Ones who believe in the true goodness of people and like to spend as much time questioning the beliefs of others as actually doing things to further the plot. These Socratic characters are good for helping other characters to flesh out their beliefs and values, though they may get annoying at times with their constant questioning and correcting. To them wisdom and truth are the most important.

In protagonist, I'm a fan of polar opposites. I like the weak, naïve hero who slowly realizes he's weak and then works to become stronger. And no matter how strong he is, there's someone as strong as he is or stronger. But I love it when the universe lets a character actually become the strongest in the world. Now, maybe it's just possible but not seen, and maybe the hero never reaches that goal, but I like it when it's actually possible for the hero to become the most powerful.
I also like the polar opposite, Master Chief being a good example. He's strong and he's brave and he's heroic, but sometimes he falls. And while it is possible for him to fall, it's rare. (leaving the specific example now) I like heroes who are more powerful than their opponents most of the time, and so a story can focus on other elements if it wanted to. But occasionally the hero does come across an opponent more powerful than them, and then it requires thinking and strategy to beat, and its cool to see a heroic plan unfold. (Giving the Covenant back their bomb)

For villains, I like a far larger array.
For one, I like the sympathetic villains who could choose to be horrible if they wanted, and they often are. But they this they're in the right, and when shown the other side, they realize they were wrong and begin to slowly repent. Best example is Zuko from ATLA, who was the best part of the series for me.
Another is the villain who isn't capable of straight-up fighting the hero, so has to outwit the hero. Best is in Death Note, where the hero can't beat the villain up, either. So it's a battle of wits, not of power levels. The villain has to act smart with their assets, and if they screw up, the hero can get them. But there's equal risk for the heroes in Death Note, and it really shines because of that. Still, when villains act smarter, not harder, it's really cool to see it played out.
I also like insane villains, so basically HxH and Batman villains. It's just kind of cool to see how they COULD go either way; using either their combat prowess or their genius to beat the hero.
Villains with god complexes are fun too.
Finally, villains who have a goal that one could actually be sympathetic towards, but one knows it's evil. Kira, for example, was evil, but since he was presented so favorably early on, some people ended up backing him, though many may have done so silently. Kira was a good villain. Villains who want to take over the world are overused and often tiresome, but the select few who want to take it over so they can benefit humanity in some way are really cool.

I tend to like villains and heroes for their looks as well. So if neither side quickly presents a reason I should back them, I end up going towards the coolest looking side. Usually, that's the villain.

I have always gravitated towards the villainous types; selfish or flirtatious, with a dash of being cocky or overconfident. As well as being somewhat sarcastic or perhaps just dry overall with their humour, this type seems to be the more common one out of the types I use or experiment with. A comfortable working ground for me personally, probably attributed down to those are the types of personality traits I have myself or are opposite to what I am personally, allowing me to experiment with more creativity.

Plus villains are just fun right?

The Gentleman Explorer: Their Classy all the time even when their slicing their way through Lovecraft's nightmares

The Dum but Wise: This Guy an idiot when it comes to things relating to the academic, But he seems to know how to get through life without a hitch

Mad Schollers: This guy decided that reading the foreboding and creepy looking tome of eldritch lore was a good idea, and has been driven mad from the exposure to the untold horrors of the universe, And theirs no one to believe him who haven't gone mad like him

Misunderstood Monster: Self-Explanitory

All-Loving Hero: People who believe there is good in everyone, and is willing to protect them no matter what

I like those villains who are either aware of their villainy and revel in it, villains who just don't care and villains who things their doing the right thing. So basically, villains. They're just so much fun to write.

I don't know what to call them, but the image in my mind is Samwise Gamgee, so that's what I'm going with. I really love the characters that are in way over their heads, in a situation they're entirely unsuited for, are mortally terrified every step of the way... But still persevere not for personal gain or anything, but because it is the right thing to do or because they are devoted to a dear friend or a higher cause. These are the heroes that maybe don't get a lot of attention, but I love them so much. I think that may actually be part of the reason I'm so fond of one of my favorite characters, because that perseverance through fear for the sake of others really inspires me.

On a similar note, I also like the characters that have some real baggage in their lives, but they do a very good job of keeping it hidden. But, every once in a while, you can see them start to falter and see the pain and fear they carry. When that happens, it makes that moment so much more powerful because you know that it's got to be significant to make them respond like that. And it isn't a big dramatic moment either, it's probably only a single silent tear, but it's huge. I think of Watson in Sherlock as an example.

I also like the idealist, especially one that never stops looking for the good and believing in it no matter how many times they're disappointed. It's painful to watch sometimes, but it also gives me hope.

As for villains, I think someone mentioned this already, but Zuko is probably one of the most incredible characters I've ever seen. Actually, I just liked the development of the Fire Nation in general as the kids amd viewers learned more about them as the season continued. They're not really that interesting at the start, but they're honestly my favorite of the kingdoms by the end. Not the decisions of their leaders, of course, but the culture and common people.

Last edited:
Tragic heroes. Reason? I don't really know. I just like tragic heroes for some reason.

Can't go wrong with the accidental hero or the 9 to 5 badass. I'm also down for the "I didn't want to do this" kind of characters, I'm really feeling it with the pacifist lifestyle lately. These days, all the good guys care about is their body count, and I won't be a part of that crowd.

I'm also quite the fan of the gray character - perhaps a good person in the eyes of some, while being a bad person from other perspectives, and they might present you with decisions and viewpoints the reader or roleplayer might agree or disagree with. I'm not talking about the twist where the guy everyone believes is good has actually been the bad guy, because with these kinds of characters you honestly can't be too sure.

Whether you believe they intend to achieve their goals for the better or worse, you should at least be able to understand why they're doing it, and perhaps even be able to justify it yourself, at least from their perspective.
They aren't generic in their intentions; they aren't doing this simply because they have daddy issues, are mental, are good/evil haha, have whims, etc. Characters that deal with them may express regrets or reservations about changing their fate, and what might have happened if things went differently.

Even a person who commits genocide may be a gray character, with a whole lot of appreciable qualities in them (and the other way around), if you know how to spin your stories.

I find it's always fun to see that guy who's actually emotionally balanced and quite well adjusted trying to deal with the smorgasbord of drama queens they're inevitably surrounded by.

I like a lot of character archetypes if done correctly.
But I think some of my favorites are villains.
I love villainous archetypes. Even in a bad movie, show, or book, the villain is always the best? Flamboyant and charismatic, or cold and manipulative. Evil for a "good" reason, or evil because it's fun? All tend to be great...

Characters who are weird (really weird, in some cases) but surprisingly competent in other ways, maybe even scarily so. I just really like opposites (an extension of the above) small but strong, conflicting outer appearances and personalities. Characters that act one way, but think another or lie about who they are? Definitely.

I also love a good story about a character who, started out untrustworthy, and probably even a jerk, becoming one of the hero's greatest allies, especially if the hero stands up for them even if it seems like they reverted back to their old ways. The trust/bond that form from overcoming that? Yes :L

Also just... like any deadpan/sarcastic character, whether they're heroic, villainous, or somewhere in between, love the sarcasm x3.

I also still, admittedly, have a deep love and affection for any goth-y characters, of any personality type x3

Last edited:
For protagonists, I like the ones that become too tunnel-visioned in attaining their goals, only to realize the aftermath they leave behind - the whole "live long enough to be the villain" type.

I also like the whole flawed heroes type - where they're capable of great things, but their faults prevent them from doing so.

I enjoy the whole inner turmoil they go through, I get to explore the possibilites of human reactions to conflicting ideas and conscience. Stuff like that.

For antagonists, I enjoy doing the ones who were formerly ordinary/good people, but went down the dark road and got broken until they're not even close to being a shadow of their former selves.

I also like villains with the whole "the ends justify the means". I generally enjoy to play all sorts of villains ('cause I don't really get to play them quite often), but those are my preferences when doing them.

I can't really say there's any particular archetypes that make or break a show for me. It's the character interactions, and how well all archetypes mesh with each other, that make the overall experience enjoyable in my mind. Edward wouldn't be the same without Alphonse, Killua without Gon, etc.

Though, if we're talking about general favorites, I like the playful, mischievous types. Often not the main character, they nontheless like to poke or tease the main character and provide help when needed. Sometimes they take on minor villain roles, though more often than not they are neutral...or join the group for their own reasons. Bonus points if they are good-looking, clever, or have a sensitive side. My reasons for liking them...eh...well...they're fun~

My favorite is the realist, the guy who listens to all your pathetic passions and shoots them down without mercy. The kind of guy that is ok hitting girls as long as they hit him first. Only he knows that the truest equality is death.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back