Viewpoint Fav thing about writing?

spongiecake

If you feel it’s not worth it, I pray you’ll lie ★
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
What’s your favorite thing about writing?

It could be the fact I could definitely imagine the character's feelings in the situations I'm writing. I have no idea xD

It could be the fact I could definitely imagine the character's feelings in the situations I'm writing. I have no idea xD
I feel this on another level!! This is one of my favorite things about writing. I get so involved haha

Being able to delve into perspectives I don't have myself and being able to really dig into why characters do the things they do- especially those considered villians.

I know it depends on the person and the situation, but my favorite thing about writing (especially RP writing) is figuring out how to surprise the reader. Mixing in themes, subtly hinting at my character's emotions, desires, and wants, and imitating the style of authors I like is so much fun.

Hi!!

K sooooo like I do have reeeeeally obv self inserts lol but I love doing my "familiar inserts" more. These are charries based on others I know. I like to try and replicate how I think they'd react to what happens in the RP as i know them. Only shown one person my writing and she told me to delete it lol

I know it depends on the person and the situation, but my favorite thing about writing (especially RP writing) is figuring out how to surprise the reader. Mixing in themes, subtly hinting at my character's emotions, desires, and wants, and imitating the style of authors I like is so much fun.
YES! I completely agree. I love adding little hints here and there-- especially when my character has a secret : D

Hi!!

K sooooo like I do have reeeeeally obv self inserts lol but I love doing my "familiar inserts" more. These are charries based on others I know. I like to try and replicate how I think they'd react to what happens in the RP as i know them. Only shown one person my writing and she told me to delete it lol
I self-insert my emotions, traits, and experiences WAY too often. But I feel like it really brings a character together! It gives them that sorta realness that I find people often lack!

Aw, well screw them! Don't delete your work dude!

When it comes to writing (and most things, really), I am a very results-over-process type. So one of my favorite things about writing is just seeing, having that finished product that I can take pride in having made, and which reflects the effort and thought I put into it, the little ideas I had, the methods and strategies I used, and so on. Of course, I don't just mean in an individual post - this applies to every aspect in writing, including but not limited to long-term narratives, character making, worldbuilding etc... I especially like it when I get to try something clever.

Another big thing for me is sharing the things I come up with. In fact, an overflow of ideas with no place to share them was what initially led me to finding out about roleplaying, and remains one of my core motivations to do it to this day.

The last thing I'll mention as one of my favorite things about writing is seeing people's reactions to what I make, be it an OOC response or their reply posts IC. I love to see what they take from what I make, and how they try to move in response to it. I believe a hallmark of great writing is the ability to create the kind of emotions you're looking to incite as well, and so it's a special moment of pride if someone talks about something I've made unprompted or displays the kind of emotion I'd hoped.

There's so much I love about writing, but it's a lot of fun reading how other players' characters interact with mine, and seeing what their relationships will be like throughout the roleplay.

The well executed plot twists. I love those. I had several partners before pull awesome plots out that left my jaw on the floor and they did it without needing to control my characters. I also love the characters with development, how they interact with one another.

I like well written villains that bring something to a plot. The ones where I don't know about their background unless it will further the plot.

Hoyo!

My favorite thing about writing is both using and trying to decipher the subtle nuances of subtext.

For example, let's say your characters is in a public area chatting with some friends, and someone new walks up to introduce themselves. Your character is then described as not greeting this person initially, and instead they give them a long, silent stare while eyeing them up and down before finally reaching for their hand in a handshake and saying "hello."

Why did they do that?

Was it because they find this individual suspicious? Was it because they're intrigued? Are they put off and feeling threatened by the way this individual approached? Is your character just naturally cautious and introverted and takes longer to take that first step than others?

That kind of subtlety and the excavation of the "why" behind actions like that is what I live for. I implement it in almost every action and line of dialogue my characters take. Little things like a few blinks before speaking, a change of hand gesture or body posture, a stuttering chuckle, a subtle shift in their facial expression, etc. Little details like this can tell entire stories unto themselves if you look closely enough.

So yeah. That's my favorite thing about writing and roleplaying!

Cheers!

Watching my characters come alive.

I'm not much of a planner, so I never know where they're gonna end up or how they're going to get there. I get such a rush of delight when I'm writing a scene and my characters come alive and start 'telling' me what they want to do. Sometimes they do and say things I didn't expect and I've been left stunned many times by their actions and words.

I just wrote a post in an RP recently where my character had to face the fact that he'd made a mistake. I went into the scene thinking he'd find a way to deflect blame, but he actually surprised me by admitting his mistake and feeling regret.

Coming up with my own plot twists/arcs in a canon setting just to add some flavor to the rp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back