• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

FATE RPG - Task Force Zero - Supernatural WW2 RP

If/When this game takes off, should it be hosted on this site or over discord?

• Total voters

SAIGO-NO-HEATS

A drifter, returned
The Setting:

5210460_orig.png

The World is at war

For 4 years, the world has been embroiled in what had already become the deadliest conflict in human history. With the Nazi war machine at the helm, atrocity and terror had been the rule of law as populations were brutally kept in check or erased wholesale.

But by march of 1943, light had begun to break through the darkness. British Commandos launch near constant raids on German infrastructure throughout Europe, crippling resources valuable to the Reich, The Battle of Stalingrad, the Fuhrer's great endeavor in the east, had finally failed as the red tide slowly began to force the Germans back on their heels. In North Africa, The Battle of Kasserine Pass had broken the back of the Desert Wolf's famed Afrika Korps and the Allies were now mere months away from the invasion of Italy. The war is far from over,but for the first time in 4 years, the future is looking a bit brighter.

But all is not well, for in the shadows an even greater darkness stirs. Desperate to find a miracle cure to their growing ailments, Nazi high command as begun diverting greater resources to its more fringe units. The Thule Society, a brotherhood of fanatics and occultists seek the ancient truth behind dark and powerful magics, while making pacts with beings beyond human comprehension. Not to be outdone, the wunderwaffe unit known as WG-1 works tirelessly in the background, developing new and terrible technological marvels born from mad science and vile experiments.

However these threats have not gone unnoticed by the allied powers, as a growing number of intelligence reports and battlefield rumors have made it apparent that something dangerous is in the works. In response, the OSS and British Military Intelligence have green lit the formation of a secret special unit, "Task Force Zero", an international unit of "extraordinary assets" ranging from exceptional soldiers to creatures that defy explanation. Their sole goal is to Investigate, assess, and neutralize these units before they can pose a threat to the allied forces.

The System:
For those of you unfamiliar, the Fate System is a rules light narrative based system meant to be flexible enough to handle any setting with minimal tweaking and to make it possible to play any imaginable character within any of those settings.

Character stats are dead simple. During character creation you will get a list of skills, from there you will choose bonuses for those skills, one will have a +4, two will get a +3, three will get a +2, and four will get a +1. These will add to the number of successes you get during a skill check.

But we'll deal with skills and checks later, as these are somewhat secondary for now.

The most important things during character creation will be your aspects: Traits and flaws that define who your character is.

For now I'll need you to fill these things out if you are interested-

Character Name: Self-explanatory. What do they introduce themselves as?

Nationality: Not actually a usual part of the creation process, but considering the setting, an idea of where your character comes from might help stir ideas for who they are. Typically characters will all come from members of the allied nations unless they have a good reason otherwise.

High Concept: This is the "general idea" of what your character is, and it can be pretty much anything. Are they a Grizzled British Commando, whose heroic acts or terrifying experiences brought him to the attention of Task Force Zero? Are they the Demon Possessed Revenant of a soldier who refused to die, and made a pact with something terrible for a chance to keep on living? Maybe they're a Reawakened Knight of the Round Table trying to get home or a Native American Werewolf Warrior looking to recover something lost long ago. Or maybe they're just a Deranged Vampire Arsonist, point is the sky's the limit. Be Creative, Be weird. Or don't. I don't care. High Concept should at least be two words, typically an adjective and a noun.

Trouble: Your character's Achilles heel. the one thing that hounds them above all else. This can be something physical, like maybe you character only has One Good eye, or suffers from a Slow, but fatal illness. It can be something social like a Stringent Code of Honor, that forbids them from doing certain things that would dishonor them even if it would help them, or maybe your character is just Kind of Really Dumb and gets themselves into trouble through sheer incompetence. For Supernatural Characters it could be a mythical weakness like a vampire being Weakened by Sunlight or a werewolf being Burned by Silver, or maybe the revenant is Barely Holding onto His Humanity. As always its up to your imagination.

Backstory: You'll generate 3 more aspects soon enough, these aspects aren't particularly positive or negative so much as they just "are". These are the general character traits that help round out your character. For now we'll focus on generating the first. Your Backstory should be a short paragraph or so about a previous adventure your character had, maybe a previous mission before you joined T.F.0, maybe about a barfight you had a few years back. Either way it should tell us something about your character, like why You Owe The Commander Your Life, or why you need to Destroy All Vampires. They general aim is to give us a gist of the general character of your, uh, Character.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Skills: (Choose 1 for +4, 2 for +3, 3 for +2, and 4 for +1)
  • Physique (Shaking off sickness or injury)
  • Athletics (Running, jumping, throwing, climbing)
  • Brawling (hurting things up close)
  • Shooting (Hurting things far away)
  • Engineering (Explosives, artillery, and structural weak points)
  • Deception (lying and Disguises)
  • Intimidation (Getting what you want through fear)
  • Occult Lore (Knowledge of magic and mysticism)
  • Perception (situational awareness and searching for something specific)
  • Persuasion (Getting what you want through diplomacy and quick thinking)
  • Willpower (Resisting fear and mental afflictions)
  • Languages (Knowing different languages)
  • Stealth (Not being seen)
  • Science (Knowledge of science and technology)
  • Medicine (Healing injuries and illnesses)
  • Driving (Controlling vehicles)

Last edited:
Character Name: Virginia Hosokawa

Nationality: Japanese-American.

High Concept: Criminal Pyrokinetic

Trouble: Glory Seeker

Backstory: Gina was a part of a gang for the latter half of her high school career, where she specialized in protection rackets (hard to have evidence on someone starting a fire with their mind, after all). Eventually, she got busted and served several years in jail, where she was approached to use her powers to help end the war. While she may be a criminal and dislike authority figures, she's still a born-and-raised American patriot who would be more than willing to fight the good fight, in return for appropriate compensation.

Background Aspect: Life on the Lamb. Bonus to deceive guards and police officers; bonus to avoid patrols and search parties.

Skills:
  • Willpower +4
  • Brawling +3
  • Deception +3
  • Intimidation +2
  • Stealth +2
  • Languages +2
  • Athletics +1
  • Shooting +1
  • Occult Lore +1
  • Engineering +1

Last edited:
Character Name: Virginia Hosokawa

Nationality: Japanese-American.

High Concept: Criminal Pyrokinetic

Trouble: Glory Seeker

Backstory: Gina was a part of a gang for the latter half of her high school career, where she specialized in protection rackets (hard to have evidence on someone starting a fire with their mind, after all). Eventually, she got busted and served several years in jail, where she was approached to use her powers to help end the war. While she may be a criminal and dislike authority figures, she's still a born-and-raised American patriot who would be more than willing to fight the good fight, in return for appropriate compensation.

Oops. Sorry it took a moment to respond.

Looks good. Maybe the aspect from the background could be something like "Patriot, for the right price" which could give some sort of bonus when dealing with her handlers and bosses or "Smarter than the cops" for a bonus when deceiving or avoiding guards or search parties.

SAIGO-NO-HEATS SAIGO-NO-HEATS
I have an idea for a character, but I don't know what tone you're going for and if he'll fit. Basically, I want him to be a stereotypical stupid action movie hero. Would that be cool?

SAIGO-NO-HEATS SAIGO-NO-HEATS
I have an idea for a character, but I don't know what tone you're going for and if he'll fit. Basically, I want him to be a stereotypical stupid action movie hero. Would that be cool?

If it helps, the tone I'm gunning for is a little bit Wolfenstein, a little bit inglorious bastards, and a little bit call of duty. Over the top ww2 era action with a bit of a sci if/ fantasy edge.

Character Name: Alex Aronowitz

Nationality: Cold-blooded American.

High Concept: Ultimate Soldier

Trouble: Dumb as a Rock

Backstory: Raised on the streets of Boston by a single mother, Alex Aronowitz was the toughest kid around. Everybody and their mothers would go for three rounds with him over anything, and they'd always be down in the first. He signed onto the Navy at age 18 for the Spanish-American War, and found pure bliss and meaning in taking down Spanish warships. He was an Admiral by the end of the war, being discharged later for causing "a diplomatic disturbance". He was right back in war twenty years later in the first World War, where he was known to the German ground troops as "Das Faustod", roughly translating to "The Fist of Death". He's been out of commission due to his age and violent demeanor, but his brute force and pure patriotism made him one of the US's first picks to help end the war.

Background Aspect: The Fist of Death: Provides bonuses to intimidation against German troops, as well as persuasion to Americans.

Skills:
  • Physique +3
  • Athletics +2
  • Brawling +3
  • Shooting +4
  • Engineering +1
  • Deception +1
  • Intimidation +2
  • Occult Lore
  • Perception +1
  • Persuasion
  • Willpower +2
  • Languages
  • Stealth
  • Science
  • Medicine
  • Driving +1

Last edited:
Character Name: Alex Aronowitz

Nationality: Cold-blooded American.

High Concept: Ultimate Soldier

Trouble: Dumb as a Rock

Backstory: Raised on the streets of Boston by a single mother, Alex Aronowitz was the toughest kid around. Everybody and their mothers would go for three rounds with him over anything, and they'd always be down in the first. He signed onto the Navy at age 18 for the Spanish-American War, and found pure bliss and meaning in taking down Spanish warships. He was a general by the end of the war, being discharged later for causing "a diplomatic disturbance". He was right back in war twenty years later in the first World War, where he was known to the German ground troops as "Das Faustod", roughly translating to "The Fist of Death". He's been out of commission due to his age and violent demeanor, but his brute force and pure patriotism made him one of the US's first picks to help end the war.

Looks good, although I do have 2 really small nitpicks. 1). If he was in the navy wouldn't he be an Admiral? I don't think they have generals in that branch, but I could be wrong. 2). The general/admiral thing might be just a touch to much if only because I'm planning on having sort of an upper structure to the organization and as a general he'd be among the highest ranking. Maybe knock him down to a colonel or major so that he could still be way up there but I still have room to do some stuff. Unless you feel the general thing is kind of integral to his character, in that case I'd be willing to work something out.

Next we need to decide on the aspect from your backstory.

"Fist of Death" might be a good one. It could provide bonuses to intimidation as your already infamous among the axis powers, as well as a bit at home.

Looks good, although I do have 2 really small nitpicks. 1). If he was in the navy wouldn't he be an Admiral? I don't think they have generals in that branch, but I could be wrong. 2). The general/admiral thing might be just a touch to much if only because I'm planning on having sort of an upper structure to the organization and as a general he'd be among the highest ranking. Maybe knock him down to a colonel or major so that he could still be way up there but I still have room to do some stuff. Unless you feel the general thing is kind of integral to his character, in that case I'd be willing to work something out.

Next we need to decide on the aspect from your backstory.

"Fist of Death" might be a good one. It could provide bonuses to intimidation as your already infamous among the axis powers, as well as a bit at home.

You right about the rank. I was thinking he might have lost his rank after being discharged, and so now he's just a civilian. I like that aspect.

Character Name: Artyom Petrov

Nationality: Russian

High Concept: Vedmak (Warlock/Male witch in Slavic mythology)

Trouble: Connected to the devil.

Backstory: Born in Leningrad (Saint Petersburg) Artyom was born into a family of Vedmak's and as such was taught all about what that means. Protecting humanity he was taught that for a Vedmak that was there the main goal whether it's by killing an evil witch or by trying to stop a war. However, as Artyom has found out all humanity seems to want to do was to rip it's self apart as such to him was proven with the start of world war 2. Due to his age, Artyom was conscripted and got caught in the middle of the siege of Leningrad he was stuck fighting to defend his hometown until he managed to sneak out and escape the siege, he made it 100 km before running into a Soviet patrol who quickly arrested him which confused Artyom as most of the time deserters were shot. It seemed that the Soviet HQ had received a message concerning Artyom and that a special forces joint task force called Task Force Zero wanted Artyom to assist them since it was that or death he picked that.

Background Aspect: Conscripted: Bonus to persuading conscripted guards and soldiers, bonus to blending in with conscripted soldiers and guards.

Skills:
Occult Lore +4
Medicine +3
Persuasion +3
Shooting +2
Willpower +2
Stealth +2
Science+1
Languages +1
Physique +1
Athletics +1

Error 420 Error 420 NemoTheSurvivor NemoTheSurvivor Dishonoured Dishonoured
Alright. Was giving it a day to see if we'd get anymore sign ups, but looks like we're good.

Alright. Phase 2 of aspect generation is called crossing paths, and this is where it gets tricky. So first off, everyone look at the character below yours (Gina > Aronowitz > Artyom > wrapping back around to Gina). for this next phase you will take that character's backstory and add a line about how your character was involved with it. Then generate an aspect based around that prior interaction.

Feel free to talk to each other or ask me for ideas or how best to insert yourself into the other character's story.

Dishonoured Dishonoured How about if Alex was buddies with your character's father during WWI? And our connection is that you were taught about me in war stories as some sort of hero. I think it would be interesting for your character to see how the romanticized stories of Alex conflict with his actual self. Does that sound good?

Dishonoured Dishonoured How about if Alex was buddies with your character's father during WWI? And our connection is that you were taught about me in war stories as some sort of hero. I think it would be interesting for your character to see how the romanticized stories of Alex conflict with his actual self. Does that sound good?
That works for me !

That works for me !

I'm not sure if that would work, as it doesn't really put any connection on Aronowitz. He still wouldn't have any personal involement with Artyom, Artyom would just sort of know of him and I'm not sure it would help inform Aronowitz' character any. Its up to you guys but that's my thoughts.

Character Name: Azazel

Nationality: British

High Concept: Fallen Angel

Trouble: Stringent Code of Honor: Forbids Azazel from doing things like stealing or killing enemies (unless they pose an immediate threat to him or his allies).

Backstory: Azazel used to be a trusted servant in heaven, before he made the terrible mistake of introducing weapons to man. For this, he was banished and sent to roam the battlefields of every great war in history. Unfortunately, while he was cast down, Azazel was stripped of most of his divine powers. All he has now are the angel wings on his back, which permit him to fly, and an ancient sword. Azazel cannot help but feel personally responsible for the Great War, and so he joined forces with the Allies in Great Britain, in hopes of one day restoring peace on Earth and being allowed to rejoin his brothers in the sky.

Background Aspect: Divine Presence: Bonus Morale for Allies in battle.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Skills:
  • Occult Lore +4
  • Willpower +3
  • Physique +3
  • Brawling +2
  • Perception +2
  • Languages +2
  • Athletics +1
  • Shooting +1
  • Deception +1
  • Medicine +1

Last edited:
Error 420 Error 420 Dishonoured Dishonoured

I think have a few ideas depending on how old Artyom is, if you guys want them.

Based on the conflicts he's been in, I assume that Aronowitz is in his 60s right?

If Artyom Is at least 27 he would remember the Russian Civil War. Maybe once WW1 ended Aronowitz traveled the world a bit, possibly as a member of the then brand new Task Force Zero or on his own depending on preference, and wound up getting involved in the Russian Civil War where he met a young Artyom on some battlefield a long time ago.

Error 420 Error 420 Dishonoured Dishonoured

If you want Artyom to be younger then maybe Aronowitz was on a mission in Russia that had him working along side the NKVD. The patrol that Artyom ran into was actually the team Aronowitz was with returning home. The reason they didn't shoot him was because they either wanted to save face in front of their allies or because it wasn't all that high on their priority list, so they shirk him off on the American to get him out of the way.

Character Name: Azazel

Nationality: British

High Concept: Fallen Angel

Trouble: Extremely Devout

Backstory: Azazel used to be a trusted servant in heaven, before he made the terrible mistake of introducing weapons to man. For this, he was banished and sent to roam the battlefields of every great war in history. Unfortunately, while he was cast down, Azazel was stripped of most of his divine powers. All he has now are the angel wings on his back, which permit him to fly, and an ancient sword. Azazel cannot help but feel personally responsible for the Great War, and so he joined forces with the Allies in Great Britain, in hopes of one day restoring peace on Earth and being allowed to rejoin his brothers in the sky.

Background Aspect: Divine Presence: Bonus Morale for Allies in battle.

Skills: (Choose 1 for +4, 2 for +3, 3 for +2, and 4 for +1)
  • Occult Lore +4
  • Willpower +3
  • Physique +3
  • Brawling +2
  • Perception +2
  • Languages +2
  • Athletics +1
  • Shooting +1
  • Deception +1
  • Medicine +1

Looks badass. But what exactly extremely devout entail and how does it qualify as a trouble? I would assume angels would be fairly religious kind of by nature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back