• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Farewell to Kings: Temple of Hyxia

Lautrec did something that, if Rhietz saw, she’d say it was deeply out of character for him. Looking at her sad, drunken expression, he knew what she needed. When she let go of his neck, he lunged forward and pulled her into his arms.
His body was cold, but felt nice to her hot, sweaty skin. He hugged her tight and didn’t let go.
“No. Too many people care about you, Delilah. I’d save your life a hundred times if I had to. Beat me, choke me, do what you will, but I won’t have you feeling sorry for yourself, when you were there to save me from my misery.”

Delilah tried to push him away. She really did. Her hands had fisted into the cloth of his shirt and as she bit back the tears that were on the verge of pouring down her face, she tried to break the hold he had on her. Moreso, she was trying to break the hold she had on her heart. "You don't mean it. You don't. You don't. You don't. No one wants to save me. I'm cursed. Broken. Unable to fulfill my own duties. A monster. You barely know me. You wouldn't have saved me if you knew." Her fingernails dug into the flesh of his chest underneath his shirt. "You wouldn't."

He struggled but maintained his hold of her. “Who could be more cursed than I, or more known as a monster? Yet I was given a chance. That should tell you that anything is possible, if you opened your heart.” He said. The pain didn’t bother him. He was so scarred that her nails digging into him didn’t draw blood.
“I’ll let you go once you’ve calmed down.”

"You were born a monster, Moonface, but you never were a monster. You could have drunk blood from countless people, ravaged their bodies of their life force. But you didn't. I used to break slaves in Lautrec. Slaves. I would beat them until they were half dead and pleading for mercy, and I enjoyed it. I used to love watching them writhe in pain, to see the blood dripping from their wounds, draining from their bodies. I fed off of their fear. I was my own form of a dhampir. You're more human than monster than I'll every be." Her voice had gotten low and soft, her fingers tightening on his shirt. "Now you know. Don't you want to kill me? To beat me to death. To drain the blood from my body? I'm a monster. You're words can't change that fact."

Lautrec was silent. He didn’t break his hold on her, though. He had to consider everything.
“The world is both challenging and confusing. The fact you feel so negatively about it says you aren’t a monster. A monster wouldn’t feel remorse. I’ve been a slave for a long time, and beaten more times than I could count. I never once laid blame on the torturer. I took issue with the crown.”

She let go of his shirt, her hands sliding down his front and came to a rest at his hips. Her forehead fell to his shoulder and she let out a shuddering sob. "Stop. Stop trying to change the truth Moonface. Amelia did that too. She tried to change the truth. But the truth never changes."

Lautrec was confused by what she was saying. He wondered how much she really drank tonight.
“Well, don’t think like that. It’s not changing the truth, but maybe trying to shed some new light on it will help you.”
he let her go, but she was sobbing, so he stroked her back instead.

She tried to smile through the tears, to bottle up the distress inside. She laughed, sniffing, "I wish I hadn't drunk so much. I would be so much sexier right now. I wanted to talk to you about Aida. About what we were doing on the dance floor. About where we lie." She looked up, her eyes studying his face. "Since I'm drunk can I tell you something? I'll probably regret it and you'll probably think I'm sick, but I'm in the mood. I don't think I care anymore. It's just a thought anyway, a wayward idea that is better left unsaid but we can just get this mission done and go our separate ways, never to see each other again."

Lautrec lifted her up. They were sitting on the floor together. He wasn’t sure he wanted to know what she was dying to let out. “If that’s how you decide things should be, then so be it. I won’t breathe a word to the others.”

Delilah lowered her gaze, her hands leaving his hips to wrap around each other in her own lap. "I-The first time we met we fought, you remember it right? We left in a draw because the bounty ran away. I..." she looked back up at his face nervously, chewing at her lip. She felt so childish, admitting these girlish thoughts to someone who had lived for so long and endured so much.

But the alcohol pushed her and she continued, "As we fought I thought about how beautiful you were. You-you were so elegant and striking and for the second time in my life, I thought I would be alright if you killed me. Hell, I even thought it would be sexy if you drank my blood. I think that was the first time that you really...struck me. I saw you before that. I thought you were a cold prick, someone who was cold and dark inside. But when we fought I saw a passion in your eyes. A fire that was bursting with life as mine was dying down. I admit, I fell a little, maybe that's why I would be happy dying at your hands. I fell a little and I don't know how I'm going to go back." She pushed herself off the floor, standing over him.

"You can leave now if you want. I won't mind if you hate me. If you're disgusted by me. There are plenty who already think that." she looked down at him, waiting for him to quickly rush out the door.

He didn’t leave. For a moment he was frozen in place on the floor. His heart was beating a lot faster than he was used to. A million options ran through his head. It made sense why she started drinking so heavily. It was the dance. He had given her what she wanted for a brief second before it came crashing down as sudden as a breeze. She had a lot of baggage. He knew it now. She had alluded to it earlier.

He stood up, and rested both hands on her shoulders.
“Thank you for telling me your feelings. It was not my intention to toy with you. I was lost in the dance, and in your eyes. Tonight is not a good night for a first kiss. You should sleep off the wine.”
He ran a hand through her hair, playing with it in his fingers. He smiled softly at her.

She frowned, confused. "This is the part where you leave Lautrec. Where you tell me that this doesn't work out. The part that says that Amelia would only ever be the one and that you're not willing to give you're heart to a used to be savage. You're-you're supposed to be disgusted. What's wrong with you?!" Her hand swatted away his and clutched her wrist, her nails drawing blood. "What is wrong with you! People like you don't love people like me. You-you're supposed to despise me! Didn't you despise me when I was close to you at that inn. When I touched you and you held a sword at me? Why-why are you doing something that I didn't expect you to do?" Her voice had become empty and raw, the skin that had been ripped by her nails dribbling blood.

His heartbeat quickened more. Easy, man. Just relax. Blood is disgusting. Ignore it.
“If you want me to leave, I’ll leave. I had a change of heart when you stayed by my side until I felt better. It would be disgraceful of me to leave you when you needed comfort. I at least owe you that much to be there. You need rest.”

"I-" she smeared the blood on her wrist across the pale skin, studying how the liquid stained it. "I don't know what I want," she said finally, sitting down on the bed. It had to be at least 2 in the morning and the side effects of her drunken state were finally hitting her.

Lautrec grabbed a piece of discarded gauze off the floor and wrapped it around her wrist.
“Well, Lay down and close your eyes. You’ll feel like yourself in the morning.”

She nodded slowly, lying down. "I...I'm sorry Lautrec," she murmured as she slowly nodded off, her hands fisting the blanket.

Lautrec sighed and walked out of the room, but not before picking up the broken wine glass off the floor. He left to retire to his room, walking in carefully as to not wake up Rhietz. He felt like he just went a few rounds against a horde of demons. He was exhausted.

Enius leaned against the railing near the stairs, watching as Lautrec emerge from Delilah's room. He had been down at the bar a few hours before and had come up to check on his companions. Not finding the dhampir in his room, he expected to find him in Delilah's room and he was right. He chuckled. "Took you long enough dhampir," he called out.

He looked back, then at Enius. "Didn't you hear the crash? She was taking care of my injury." He pointed at his neck. "We were dancing, and we drunkenly crashed into each other. I have this glass to toss way." He groaned, throwing it into a refuse can. "Goodnight."

Enius laughed softly, the growl in his voice making it sound like two rocks being ground together. "There's no point in lyin' Lautrec. Delilah was loud enough for the entire hall to 'ear. Surprised the others didn't wake up."

He ignored Enius and went to bed. There was nothing he had to say. He gave the best case he could. He imagined that Enius was lying as well. Sleep came quicker than he anticipated. He was floating in pool of blood. It was very tranquil.

------
The next day, Aida woke up in her tree fort, which was a mesh net tied to three trees. She yawned and dropped down, landing on a soft pile of leaves. Her face hurt from getting horse kicked last night, but she'd suffered worse blows before.
She started shadowboxing in her underwear. Today's the day, she thought. She would finally get payback on her asshole older brother. Someone had to pay the debts she owed to the people she loved. Just because she's the lastborn, and thus has nothing, no special bloodlne tricks or whatever besides immortality. Few would think of her as anything but an albino. She lived twenty years of life, fell down a massive pit, and lived. That's when she learned the truth.

"Oh Sanguinus, please grant me your favor as I hunt this betrayer."
She felt a wave of confidence overcome her. She had to breath and concentrate. Lautrec knew she was coming. A conflict was inevitable. How could she gain the upper hand?

Rheitz had been awake for a long time. Sitting in the dining hall, she stirred her cup of tea mindlessly, staring out the window. The sudden events of last night had tired her out and she had slept deeply. Sitting in the warms beams of light through the window, she thought about what was to come when they reached the Red Desert.

It had been years since she had communicated with her family more or less even ventured to travel to her tribal lands. The Red Desert was vast but the Renari people were known for their fierce warriors and strong connection with the land. The mithis of the Renari were good hikers and trackers and many times were asked to find criminals for distant kings and emperors. It was one of the few ways that the Renari managed to maintain steady relations with the surrounding peoples besides the trade of specially made glass pieces that could only be created from the fine sands of the Red Desert.

"Could I sit with you?"

Rheitz jumped in her seat, quickly turning to face a very frightened Tobias. She had the decency to not cry out a cuss and nodded her head. The man sat opposite to her, placing a map on the table. "I thought we could go over the course to make sure we don't lose any time," he said simply. He pulled out a compass and a few pencils, beginning to trace the path they had been taking. Rheitz stirred her tea, studying him for a bit.

She had never really been paying attention to Tobias these past few days. He had been timid and tended to stay in the shadows. Sure, she had pulled him for a dance, but honestly, she had just wanted someone to go with her. The light from the window set his tanned skin aglow. He had long black hair which he had tied back, moving a couple of strands that had fallen out to his ear. His eyes were a startling green, his pupils rimmed with gold. He looked up, confused.

"R-Rhietz? Are you listening to me?"

Rheitz blinked, startled. "I-er...no. Sorry. What was that?" Tobias frowned, looking back down at the map. "We can take two paths, but both inevitably cross Lenaris's bridge. I believe the one through the mountains is longer, but you apparently know the land better than I. What do you suggest?" Rheitz shook her head. "The path through the mountains is faster. The other appears shorter but actually there are quite a few toll gates and thieves that inhabit it. The mountains won't slow us down as long as we keep our footing."

Tobias nodded, erasing the line he had drawn on the map.

Lautrec woke up feeling groggy. He quickly got dressed and went to check inside Delilah's door, see if she was still sleeping or whatever. He then made his way downstairs. He found Rhietz and Tobias talking over a map.
"Morning Rhietz. Plotting the course, I see?" He was wearing his cloak and a black scarf around his neck. Not only would it hide his wounds from last night, but if anyone asked he could say it was for the desert, to keep sand out of his face.

Rheitz nodded solemnly, taking a sip of her tea. Tobias was muttering to himself, sketching out the road. Winston came down the stairs muttering about the "loud noise last night" and how "no one would let an old man sleep" and how "young people these days never respected their elders". He glared at Lautrec as he passed him, slamming his hands on the table. "Which one of you did it?!" he grouched, glaring daggers at Tobias and Rheitz, "it must have been you two! Young people these days, can't ever go a night without fooling around."

Rheitz blushed profusely, letting out a squeak. Tobias's mouth dropped open, his eyes widening. "It-we-no!" Rheitz squirmed, standing up. "We did no such thing. Just because you couldn't sleep because of some noise doesn't mean you start assuming nonsense!"

Lautrec folded his arms and watched with amusement. He went to get some food, grabbing a couple apples and a buttery roll.
He scanned the room, wondering where Delilah was. He both wanted to see her and avoid her,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back