Idea Fantasy/Mythology/Dragons

GreatSaiyaman31

Arch-Angel
Ok everyone so here is the idea for an RP that I have been mulling over for the last few days.

The progenitors of the dragon race predate many of the gods themselves. As human and fey kind advanced over time, dragons were sought out and captured or coerced into being recruited to sides of wars willingly or by force. Eventually even if they joined voluntarily they would be betrayed by those they had learned to trust. Now in modern times they few dragons who have survived have learned to take a human form or some of their bloodlines have been diluted by interspecies breeding. The more pure of blood usually the more powerful the creature depending on what kind of creature or species they interbreeded with. Each dragon is an unique individual but there are certain traits that are shared among all of the species, they are grand in size in both dragon and human form, they tend to keep to themselves, and the more pureblooded one is the greater their connection to a primordial source of power that predates most pantheons of deities. Noone knows how long dragons can live since they usually are sought out and slain either for parts or to become a slave to their captors while they are young, stupid, and naïve.

That's most of what I have for the plot so far. Pretty vague and open I know. Next is what I want my character to be for this storyline.

Name: Arthur Wolfsbane
Race: Dragon/Primordial
Class: Auto Mechanic/Warrior
Personality: kind, tries to keep to himself but can't resist saving an innocent in peril, hates when the powerful victimize those weaker than they
Height: 7'0
Weight: 280 lbs of muscle
Hair: black with red highlights
Eyes: Hazel
Background: Over the eons he has gone by many names and has been written into numerous legends from different cultures. Now, in the present he simply goes to work and goes home. He prefers to stay quiet and withdrawn but in order to avoid confrontation he will speak. He doesn't usually like hurting anyone but has no qualms with defending himself. Occasionally he makes his way to a library, book store, or comic shop to obtain new reading materials since its his favorite past time. However being one of the first born of the dragon race he is still occasionally approached by deity and fey alike in attempts to convince him to get involved with their problems. He mostly sends them away telling them to find some other fool to help them since he is wise enough to know that there are consequences to killing almost anything supernatural. Little does he know however that by saving what appears to be a hume child his entire life is going to become more complicated.

I am interested in seeing what people think of the idea and character. Also if anyone can think up anything to add to the plot so that I have a clear path to take with the storyline possibly? Or we can just leave that open to see how it develops as we go along once I find a partner to rp this with?

I like how these dragons are like an ancient race. It looks interesting so far.

A question is do these dragons breathe fire at all or is that not a part?
Also what role does magic play in this world?

In Western culture dragons are portrayed as fierce unstoppable beasts or greedy creatures who hoard Jewels.
But in Eastern cultures often dragons are a lot more revered like gods. So the understanding of dragons is a diverse one I think.

In this world humans are normal just like we are now. Dragons aren't even believed to exist. Magic that they have is potent including throwing fireballs. In dragon form they do breath fire but not in human form. Also they might be more comfortable or adept at fighting while in their dragon forms because hiding as humans they do their best to avoid fighting powerful empties. The ability to do so was in order to hide among normal people after all. Also like in the post about the idea, the more pure blooded and ancient they are, the closer they are to the primordial source so the more they could draw from it at once. Also other supernatural creatures exist but they might not have traditional names that we all know. Basically in this world all deities that were ever believed in exist all at once but don't like getting involved with each other if it can be avoided.
Vampires for example are called Daimons and were from a race originally called Apollites until they were cursed by the Greek god Apollo to die upon their 27th birthday slowly over a 24 hour period unless they begin to dine on souls of other creatures. This is believed to be where we got our legends of vampires from. Apollites were created out of a bet between Zeus and Apollo that Apollo could create a superior race to humans. They were taller, stronger, faster, had some telekinetic ability. Well Apollo ends up falling in love with a human woman and she is with child when one of the Apollites grows jealous enough to concoct a plan to murder the woman and the expected baby and make it look like an animal attack. Apollo finds out too late and curses the Apollites to gain animalistic features such as fangs, night vision, superior hearing and smell as well as animal reflexes and he made it so they would only live until their birthday that would be of the same age as the woman he lost. The only way to prolong their lives is to dine on souls.

Last edited:
We don't necessarily have to get into all of the species that exist in this world if ya don't want to. I just love the book series that I got the idea from. The author is Sherrilyn Kenyon if anyone is interested btw. That's a lil off topic though. I'm just getting a little excited thinking that I might finally find a partner to write this idea with me.

Right now all I am waiting on is for someone to say that they're interested so we can go over the story and ideas together about what we both want from the rp so that we can get started.

Dragons are a really cool idea. It wouldn't be a stretch to call them story-tall fire-ball spitting masses of awesome. And for that exact reason, it's not exactly difficult to find a bunch of dragon RPs, in fact if I'm not mistaken there are always like 2-3 in the first 3 pages of Fantasy group searches at any given time.

So one has to wonder what the individual plots do with the idea of dragons and what makes them stand out. Your idea, I'm afraid, is really lacking in that regard. It paints about as common a scenario as one can make it: ancient powers time skip to modern day for no reason, and now people don't believe in it anymore cause reasons. There is some underground level of society of whatever that basically secretely runs it and does a crappy job at it too, and a group of people are halfbreeds.

Now don't get me wrong: The idea isn't bad per say, it just isn't anything special. The only reason you might want to join would be for dragons in a modern day setting, and even then you probably have better options out there.

The character is just boring and gives you no reason to care whatsoever. In fact, looking at it, I almost become afraid that it is the GM character, Just on account on just it seems to scream that someone is trying to make them the "main character".

Still if you want to go at this idea, by all means, go ahead. There are few ideas not worth giving a shot, and this one seems like it could be pretty appealing to some more casual RPers. That said, I must really recommend you give a bit more thought to actual ramifications. The entire idea is treating every element within itself like it has no consequences and that in turn makes the idea boring and difficult to take seriously.

I hope this wasn't too harsh, and let me know if any clarification is needed about it (I wrote this kinda right before mass, so I may have rushed some tidbits) . Hope it helps, and happy RPing !

Dragons are a really cool idea. It wouldn't be a stretch to call them story-tall fire-ball spitting masses of awesome. And for that exact reason, it's not exactly difficult to find a bunch of dragon RPs, in fact if I'm not mistaken there are always like 2-3 in the first 3 pages of Fantasy group searches at any given time.

So one has to wonder what the individual plots do with the idea of dragons and what makes them stand out. Your idea, I'm afraid, is really lacking in that regard. It paints about as common a scenario as one can make it: ancient powers time skip to modern day for no reason, and now people don't believe in it anymore cause reasons. There is some underground level of society of whatever that basically secretely runs it and does a crappy job at it too, and a group of people are halfbreeds.

Now don't get me wrong: The idea isn't bad per say, it just isn't anything special. The only reason you might want to join would be for dragons in a modern day setting, and even then you probably have better options out there.

The character is just boring and gives you no reason to care whatsoever. In fact, looking at it, I almost become afraid that it is the GM character, Just on account on just it seems to scream that someone is trying to make them the "main character".

Still if you want to go at this idea, by all means, go ahead. There are few ideas not worth giving a shot, and this one seems like it could be pretty appealing to some more casual RPers. That said, I must really recommend you give a bit more thought to actual ramifications. The entire idea is treating every element within itself like it has no consequences and that in turn makes the idea boring and difficult to take seriously.

I hope this wasn't too harsh, and let me know if any clarification is needed about it (I wrote this kinda right before mass, so I may have rushed some tidbits) . Hope it helps, and happy RPing !

Ouch....does seem a little harsh. I didnt add more details because i didnt want to completely plagiarize the books i got the idea from.

As for ramifications I have no idea what you are talking about. I know what the words means i just dont know what you want ramifications for.

Also what do you mean by GM character? I am trying to make him the main character hence why i only want a partner and not a group rp. The other person would end up being the love interest.

Clarification could help alot here i think. Thanks

Ouch....does seem a little harsh. I didnt add more details because i didnt want to completely plagiarize the books i got the idea from.

As for ramifications I have no idea what you are talking about. I know what the words means i just dont know what you want ramifications for.

Also what do you mean by GM character? I am trying to make him the main character hence why i only want a partner and not a group rp. The other person would end up being the love interest.

Clarification could help alot here i think. Thanks

GM character is a character played by the creator of a group roleplayer.

As to adding in details if this is based on an established work I would absolutely include that in the search itself. Maybe with links to a wiki or something that described the book. Or even just a fuller synopsis of the book.

You could state your doing some kind of alternate take on the canon with new characters. As someone who also does a lot of work in 1x1 with fandom inspiration / or obscure fandoms. I find it's helpful to give a fuller description of what I'm using in terms of inspiration.

For instance if I'm only using just a basic premise (ex. creatures with elemental powers who are put into battle royal tournaments ) but nothing else (ex. the name pokemon, the regions, the individual types) i'll state this and then give my partners a description of what my own take on the creatures/world/etc. is.

if however i am using the world of the original just with different characters i'll give a full synopsis of that world / link wikis / and just say "based on Pokemon world with original characters"

or you know whatever the series your using is. pokemon was just an example.

Really I only got some inspiration from the book series. I'm not planning on following a synopsis of any of the books in this series and I'm using an original character whose powers are partially based off of what I've seen in this book series. I only spoke about the book series because I figured if people would want to check it out to get more info on their own and because it gave me some inspiration on wanting to do a dragon character story. If I have to wait for someone to research the book series before they can make a decision about whether they want to join the story or not I'm going to be waiting for quite a while since just one of the multiple series that occurs in this world is over 20 books long.

But if I am to go off of Idea's review the character and story I've posted are too dull for anyone here to want to work on it with me at least that's my interpretation from what Idea said so if that's the case I would have to assume that I came to the wrong place. I apologize if this assumption hurts anyone's feelings but that is simply my interpretation from what Idea said. If its confirmed that this is the case I will remove the idea and move on to somewhere else. No point in me being here if all that's going to happen is my ideas get snuffed because they're too dull to people or there's not enough detail.

I always thought that one of the beauties of rp'ing was that the story develops organically somewhat so that way it's exciting for all participants. Hence why I made my story and character so open.

Well there are certainly people who don’t mind a more one ended story. And this is a big site so assuming one person speaks for all of us is a little dismissive.

We are merely giving you that advice you asked for.

It’s up to you whether you take it or not.

Besides which idea was taking about GROUP roleplays.

Which need more planning to hook multiple people.

1x1 is more flexible because you are working with a partner.

You could honestly just put 1x1 search for dragon character x love interest in modern times and get a few bits possible.

My point is that if you are using a book series for inspiration you will need to explain that inspiration.

If I just told you I want to do craft magic based on this series of books in Emelan by Tamora Pierce that doesn’t tell you anything.

If I link you to the wiki page for what craft magic is and just tell you hey I want to use this in a modern setting than it’s more helpful.

That’s all I’m saying about going into the synopsis or fleshing our your explanation of the series.

Explain what your taking from the series and just credit to where you got the idea

I apologize if I assumed a little too much from the post of Idea. I haven't had too much good experience with trying new rp sites. Nothing but not good enough or ya need to be a professional novelist every single post you every make other than ooc general discussion. Not to mention before you can post on some at all the characters for your profile have to be approved by multiple mods or admins, before ya can even do anything! Just so strict when you're trying to have fun and leaving no room for novices to get in on the fun type stuff. That was the feeling I was getting. I mean I guess I could post some details about what I want to take from the inspiration series.

Exactly or just let your partner know when they ask for more details. I mean if your looking for 1x1 partner it’s often more about having a good working relationship with them over a nice hook.

I mean having something up is necessary but it doesn’t have to be this big in depth thing out of the gate. As long as you can give details at some point when asked it’s fine.

I would say might want to just make a search in Looking For Patners

Some things to add
- when your available to post
- how much you write per post
- how often/ how much you want your partner to post

A little bit about the idea . You can even keep it to just the pairing to start with if that helps

Dragon x Love Interest in Modern Day

Also add in any limits you have ( ex. abuse or child x adult relationships )

You can also look at the searches other folks have. See if anyone else is looking for dragons that might be interested in doing your story.

Just be patient. There are a lot of people but they aren’t all on at once.

I put in a search there already. Title "Looking for a Potna". In the post I told them to come to this thread to see what the idea is as well as a little what my character would be like in the story instead of posting all of the details again.

I would probably put the pairing in the title as I’m not particular familiar with Potna is. Im not sure if a lot of people would be.

Also I’d say your better off copy and pasting.

The less steps you make people go through to get to your idea the more likely you will get bites.

Or just give the contact details ( when you can post, how much you write, etc) plus the pairing.

Then you can just give additional information when people contact you.

lol. I was making an obscure reference to the song Potna (partner) from Will Smith's album Willenium from back in the day. But I'll take your idea and copy and paste the details over to the search thread.

lol yeah I find straightforward titles work best.

I know when I’m searching I’m more likely to click on something that says Searching for Pairing / Plot

Than like a random quote or Xx’s search thread

Alright. So I took some of your advice and changed the title and tags in my partner search thread as well as copying and pasting the synopsis of the idea that I wanna rp. Anything else ya'll think I should do?

That being the case you can add details of your own. In fact you could even improve upon the ideas you are inspired by.

Worldbuilding. Even if you want to make an urban fantasy, the fact that NOTHING changes other than there somehow being a secret society that oppresses god-like beings seems a tad far fetched for a person like me. Keep this in mind, because for a future point in this reply, it is important: All of my feedback is being given from my perspective and my understanding of a more general perspective. In my view worldbuilding is important. Consequences are important. If you have these god-precedenting dragons the fact that the world is just like ours and the only changes aren't even actually visible make for content that lacks the impact of it being there.

To put it in a simpler, perhaps more satirical way: If your dragons have less of an impact on the world than the latest twerking scandal or what have you, that both diminishes it's value and cuts off countless imaginative possibilities of integrating the changes into the setting instead of just running them parallel to it.

Really I only got some inspiration from the book series. I'm not planning on following a synopsis of any of the books in this series and I'm using an original character whose powers are partially based off of what I've seen in this book series. I only spoke about the book series because I figured if people would want to check it out to get more info on their own and because it gave me some inspiration on wanting to do a dragon character story. If I have to wait for someone to research the book series before they can make a decision about whether they want to join the story or not I'm going to be waiting for quite a while since just one of the multiple series that occurs in this world is over 20 books long.

But if I am to go off of Idea's review the character and story I've posted are too dull for anyone here to want to work on it with me at least that's my interpretation from what Idea said so if that's the case I would have to assume that I came to the wrong place. I apologize if this assumption hurts anyone's feelings but that is simply my interpretation from what Idea said. If its confirmed that this is the case I will remove the idea and move on to somewhere else. No point in me being here if all that's going to happen is my ideas get snuffed because they're too dull to people or there's not enough detail.

I always thought that one of the beauties of rp'ing was that the story develops organically somewhat so that way it's exciting for all participants. Hence why I made my story and character so open.

And here we return to what I was saying about perspective. In my earlier comment I mentioned your plot would be "very appealing to a lot of more casual RPers" and I meant what I said. While, in giving my honest opinion, I find that the fact that plot provided doesn't add anything new to the landscape nor does it fully capitalize on it's own ideas, those are concerns not everyone will have, but they ARE also concerns you CAN adress should you feel like you would want to improve your idea. Your idea isn't bad, your idea isn't boring, your idea wll be enjoyed by many: But even those things most enjoyable can grow and become better if we understand their flaws and how to shine them out.

That being the case you can add details of your own. In fact you could even improve upon the ideas you are inspired by.

Worldbuilding. Even if you want to make an urban fantasy, the fact that NOTHING changes other than there somehow being a secret society that oppresses god-like beings seems a tad far fetched for a person like me. Keep this in mind, because for a future point in this reply, it is important: All of my feedback is being given from my perspective and my understanding of a more general perspective. In my view worldbuilding is important. Consequences are important. If you have these god-precedenting dragons the fact that the world is just like ours and the only changes aren't even actually visible make for content that lacks the impact of it being there.

To put it in a simpler, perhaps more satirical way: If your dragons have less of an impact on the world than the latest twerking scandal or what have you, that both diminishes it's value and cuts off countless imaginative possibilities of integrating the changes into the setting instead of just running them parallel to it.

And here we return to what I was saying about perspective. In my earlier comment I mentioned your plot would be "very appealing to a lot of more casual RPers" and I meant what I said. While, in giving my honest opinion, I find that the fact that plot provided doesn't add anything new to the landscape nor does it fully capitalize on it's own ideas, those are concerns not everyone will have, but they ARE also concerns you CAN adress should you feel like you would want to improve your idea. Your idea isn't bad, your idea isn't boring, your idea wll be enjoyed by many: But even those things most enjoyable can grow and become better if we understand their flaws and how to shine them out.

I apologize to you and everyone Idea. This is one of the only things I hate about text communication. I can't determine the tone of the writer sometimes. I am sorry I jumped to the worst conclusion that you were simply dismissing my idea as basically novice-like and plain-old-dull. Guess I'm a little insecure that way. First time in a at least a decade that I'm involved with new people that are involved with something I actually enjoy doing. And I appreciate you not insulting me for my foolish tirade.

I apologize to you and everyone Idea. This is one of the only things I hate about text communication. I can't determine the tone of the writer sometimes. I am sorry I jumped to the worst conclusion that you were simply dismissing my idea as basically novice-like and plain-old-dull. Guess I'm a little insecure that way. First time in a at least a decade that I'm involved with new people that are involved with something I actually enjoy doing. And I appreciate you not insulting me for my foolish tirade.
There's no need to apologize buddy :). It's not your fault, I come off that way at times. Do your best, I wish you the best of luck and happy Rping!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back