• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Family Ties

Moving away from the fruit punch, she was glad when the boy didn't force it on her. The drink looking far too much like blood to her making her nervous. Or as nervous as you could be with a sedative in your system. Moving back over to the bed after taking her plate from him to sit down. A little lost by how she was supposed to eat it. Hearing her 'brother' mention that it was fruit punch which didn't make her feel better. She got punched plenty without having to drink something with the name. He added that she didn't have to drink it, but Eva had thought she might want it since she liked the orange juice so much. Shaking her head as he set it down to be taken downstairs or drank later. Picking at the food despite how hungry she was only for the boy's presence in her room. Still getting used to the family wanting to be the company for her given everyone else just kept her at arm's length. Making no further move to invite him or push him away when he offered to stay with her.

So long as he kept his distance and didn't touch her, she supposed it would be alright. Watching him carefully as he came more into the room and sat himself down out of touching distance. Glad for that at least as she watched him with his own plate. Trying to gauge how she was supposed to eat this thing in front of her. Hearing him ask her if she wanted him to get Kennedy or Eva instead, having just wanted to visit her. Saying not a whole lot figuring they were probably too busy and maybe hadn't even wanted to come see her. She hid her disappointment that they hadn't brought up her plate, allowing him to stay if he wanted. It was his house, after all, she was really the intruder in this equation far as she knew. Looking at him when he said he just wanted to be friends with her. Blinking a few times surprised by the admission as she'd never really had a friend before. Then again when you were bounced between homes so often, there just didn't seem much of a point at times.

Even if she hadn't, there weren't many opportunities to make friends and even then it was always ended up bad. Pushing the thoughts away as she tucked some hair behind her ear a little. Mindful of the brace that kept her wrist from bending while it healed. Thinking about what she should say to him...certainly, he seemed nice enough to her. Although appearances could be misleading as she took a few bites of hamburger. Enjoying the taste still worried that the boy might take her plate or reprimand her in some way.

"Never....never had a friend before," commented Kathleen quietly in the safety of her bedroom.

Watching him packing up his taco as she tried to follow suit but didn't really understand it. Everything just felt so strange and new to Kat making her realize how little she seemed to know. It frustrated her a little as she was sure the other boy must think it funny. She was twelve years old and didn't even know what a taco even was. Sighing softly as he started talking again as though trying to fill the void left behind by her quiet nature. Explaining to her how messy tacos could be as some filling spilled out over the taco. Watching it fall to her plate knowing she wouldn't be caught dead making a mess like that. Trying to pick up the taco she had tried to fill with some hamburger and cheese but found it a little more unmanageable to her. Reverting to her own fork to try and chip away at it little by little.

Ronan blinked as Kathleen told him she had never had a friend before. He couldn't exactly say he was surprised--how many friends could you really manage to make if you never spoke and were constantly being moved around? Anyone Kat managed to find to be kind to her was probably yanked from her life soon after. Ronan wouldn't have wanted to try to make friends if he were in her shoes.

But then again, before he had found the bar, and Eva and Kennedy, he hadn't had any friends either. He had been too nervous to talk to most people, and his first trip out to the bar had mostly been spent in a corner, watching everything through uncertain eyes. Eventually though, he had worked up the nerve to talk a little, try to spend a bit of time having fun before he had to run as fast as he could back home and climb back in through the same window he had gone out.

But at least he had had Hugo. They had spent their entire lives together, rarely ever apart, and each the only person the other really trusted. The pair were bonded so tightly that they bounced off one another's energy and finished each other's sentences. They were always ready to defend each other, one often taking punishments in order for the other to be spared. And even at the absolute worst, at least they were together. Through the beatings, and the starvation, and the repeated rejection and abandonment, Hugo had always been there. Kat had never had that. She was alone.

"You do now," he promised. "I'll be your friend. Jupiter and Hugo will too. They like you."

She should have known revealing that she'd never had a friend before would make her seem strange. God, why did she have to say such weird things all the time? Normal people had friends that she knew to be true which said a lot about her. Closest she had to a friend was Mr.Midnight although she had a feeling if he could talk, he may not necessarily want to. Dropping her gaze away from Ronan as she internally cursed herself for being weird. This was not how one went about making friends with other kids your own age. At least, as far as she knew when it came to the process, but she swore some kids had it a lot easier than her. Or were just lucky that they had something more to offer the world. All Kat really knew how to do was make good meals, keep quiet, do the chores and avoid being punished. Why would anyone want a girl like that to hang around with? Looking down at her plate of food as she took a few small bites of hamburger meat. Finding herself suddenly not nearly as hungry as she had been earlier.

Course, she'd never really had a solid meal plan laid out in front of her either as she forced herself to eat it. It tasted good, but between the depressing conversation and her small stomach, she was finding things difficult. Giving up on the weird taco thing since at least the meat was in tiny pieces instead of one large thing. Sighing gently as she looked over at the new stuffed bear that she'd gotten. Having put him gently on her bedside table so he didn't get hurt or damaged like Mr.Midnight. Even if she took really good care of the black wolf plushie as much as any girl did with her toys. He was the first and last thing she'd ever really been given up until the doctor had gotten her the new bear stuffie. Still feeling like this was all so surreal to her in one way or another. That any moment she'd wake up from this dream and be back in the foster agency place or her old home. Shivering at the idea of that being true, though the wrist brace and throbbing head felt pretty real to her.

She was just playing with her hamburger meat debating taking another mouthful when Ronan spoke up. Saying that she had friends now making her tilt her head in confusion. Waiting for him to clarify by adding that his brother, Jupiter and himself would be her friends if she wanted it. Sort of surprised by the statement as normally siblings tended to dislike her almost instantly. Especially if they were foster kids themselves since they were all vying for the same attention. Not wanting to be the one that ended up hungry which tended to be Kat sooner rather than later. Mostly because she didn't fight back and was very submissive towards most people. Partially due to wanting to please her parents, but it always felt like that was Kat's general nature. Although the abuse had definitely amplified those traits and made her much more compliant and obedient for the smallest amount of attention. Thinking about what Ronan said about being friends with her. If what Eva had said was true, then it would be easier to make friends with the other siblings. Last thing she wanted to get into a fight with one of them that likely wouldn't end well for her.

"You....you don't have to if you don't want to," she said trying to ensure Ronan knew he had a choice.

Giving up on her plate of food once she'd eaten about half of the hamburger meat. Setting it down in front of her as she curled back up against the headboard. Resting her head against it as she found herself kind of missing having one of the mothers around. Not quite realizing that she could call them upstairs at any time not just when they wanted to. She didn't really know them very well, but they seemed nice enough. Although she was still hesitant to call on either one of them for anything. Far too ingrained into the rules of what had been laid down since pretty much every home. Then again maybe she could find out more about the rules from Ronan. Chewing her lip indecisively as she hesitantly looked back over to him.

"Do you ever get in trouble here?" she asked hesitantly.

Ronan smiled at Kat and shook his head as she tried to dismiss his offer of friendship. "No, I want to be friends with you!" he promised her. "I...I don't expect you to trust me as a brother just yet, so I thought maybe we could be friends first." His gaze travelled to the plushies on Kathleen's bedside table. He was quiet for a moment as he noticed the torn ear on the wolf, and then looked back to the girl before voicing his suggestion. "I can fix his ear if you want," he offered. "So it doesn't fall off. But if not, that's okay too. The tear adds character." He shrugged and set his now empty plate to the side.

When Kat asked if they ever got in trouble, Ronan immediately shook his head. "No," he said. "I mean, not really. Eva and Kennedy were upset with me the other day for working on something without gloves." He paused, and then added, "It had glass pieces I was trying to dull down and I wasn't wearing work gloves." He held up the hand he had cut the previous day, his palm now mostly healed. "Kennedy threatened to hide the dress from me, but she didn't really mean it...she's also pretty terrible at hiding things, so I would one hundred percent be able to find it again. Sometimes I find things I didn't even know she was trying to hide."

"But I mostly get in trouble for making dumb decisions," Ronan told her. "But nobody ever really yells or anything. Sometimes Hugo gets in trouble for forgetting to take his medicines or do his breathing treatments. His lungs are kind of terrible at their intended purpose so if he doesn't take really good care of himself they fill up with a bunch of gunk and he gets sick. I'm pretty sure like eighty percent of the nurses in the hospital know all our names by now because he's in there so much. Even a cold can mess him up really bad. I don't think Eva and Kennedy are really mad at him though. I think they just worry about him."

Kat was surprised when Ronan immediately insisted that he actually did want to become friends with her. That he knew she wasn't really sure about him as a brother, but that they could work on it. That he would be just fine with them being friends for now. Feeling a small smile tug at the corner of her mouth at the idea of having a real friend. Sure, Mr.Midnight was nice enough and always there for her, but he wasn't exactly a real friend. Then again, Kat hadn't had much time to be a kid and make friends like others. She had tried the few times she'd been allowed to go school but they were normally chased off rather quickly. Or she ended up having a panic attack to the point it was easier for her to be homeschooled. Not to mention, they didn't have to worry about anyone finding out about the bruises and starting to poke their noses in her family's business. Shrugging her shoulders as she wasn't sure how to feel about having a real friend. Certainly, it might be nice to make a friend, but she also worried that when the worse should happen, he might not be there for her.

Pulled from her wandering thoughts when Ronan mentioned that he could fix up Mr. Midnight's ear. Opening and closing her mouth as she looked back nervously over to where he was currently arranged. She really didn't like seeing his ear broken like it was, but that meant trusting Ronan with her prized possession. The only thing that she kept with her as she was being moved from home to home. Mr.Midnight meant everything to her and she was worried about giving it over to someone. That required trust and Kat really wasn't certain about any of them especially not with her things. Still, it was tempting as she didn't want it falling off altogether and getting lost somewhere. Listening as Ronan mentioned that he didn't have to fix his ear though if she didn't want it. That it looked kind of nice on him as she chewed on her bottom lip hesitantly. Torn between getting her wolf help and protecting him from being further ruined by yet another sibling.

Saying nothing for now as she was still so uncertain about this family, let alone to keep their promise that he would only 'mend' the ear rather than rip it clean off. Listening instead as Ronan went on to say that they didn't really get into trouble here. That was good she supposed though it didn't really ease her worries either. Hearing him talk about the time he didn't wear work gloves while working on something and cut himself. Kat's eyes widening a little as she normally always was allowed to use safety equipment when working if necessary. Seeing the healing cut on Ronan's hand before he clarified that Kennedy had been upset and threatened to take his dress from him. Going on to say that she didn't really end up taking it and even if she had he probably could have still found it. Not sure if that was really a punishment...fairly certain if she'd tried anything like that she'd get more than just a stern warning. Adding that he mostly got into trouble for dumb decisions but that there wasn't any yelling at least.

Nodding her head, glad at least that nobody really yelled around here as she really didn't like that. It always made her think she was about to get punished and that was never a good thing. Trying her best not to let herself go down that trail of thinking. Refocusing her attention on Ronan when he mentioned his brother Hugo and how they got upset when he didn't take his meds or such. How he thought they were mostly just worried about him a lot of the time and how often they ended up at the hospital because of him. Feeling slightly envious of Hugo for a brief moment as she'd never been taken care of like that before. Most of her foster parents didn't want to waste good money on her like that. She couldn't exactly blame them as she was a dirty worthless freak...or so she had been told. Eva didn't seem to think so, but that was probably because she hadn't been here long enough. Sooner or later they were bound to see what a good for nothing child she was and send her back. Why would this time be any different?

"So she be more upset for not taking care of myself than if I asked for help?" asked Kat hesitantly wondering if maybe it wouldn't be so bad asking for something for her head and maybe her back. It sounded like they got really upset when Hugo didn't do that. And Kat really didn't want to have that happen to her. And they had seemed really scared when she had gotten hit by that car earlier though she was still scared and uneasy about it all. Looking to Ronan a little as she didn't want to get into trouble.

Ronan nodded slowly as Kat hesitantly spoke, the girl finally seeming to understand. "Probably," he told her. "Eva and Kennedy don't want to see you hurt. If you don't ask for help, what good comes out of that? You'll still need help at the end, and whatever's wrong will still be wrong. They want to help." The boy was silent for a moment, and had begun wringing his hands anxiously. "They...they're good at that. Helping, I mean." Still sitting on the floor, the boy leaned up against the wall, contemplating whether or not he should share what he had been going to say next.

"Before I lived here they used to sneak me in and out of my foster parents' window," Ronan explained. "Taught me how to sneak food from the fridge without anyone noticing. How to treat injuries by myself. They always sent Hugo and I home with food, and we stashed it under our beds. We never did get caught. Sometimes we stayed here, if we thought nobody would notice us being gone." The boy shuddered at one memory, of being locked in his bedroom with Hugo for a week straight. He was supposed to have been, anyway. "I spent a lot of nights on that couch." A small smile crossed Ronan's face as he finished speaking. "This was the first place Hugo got help for his lungs, too."

Part of the reason the boy was so bad off had been because of his late diagnosis, but foster parents that didn't care only made Hugo worse, even if they did finally know what was wrong with him. Perhaps Kennedy would have fussed over him less if he'd been well taken care of beforehand, with medicines and treatments and anyone who had taken even the slightest bit of interest in his well being.

"They're trustworthy," Ronan finished. "I promise."

Kathleen silently digested what Ronan told her as he agreed that it was probably in her best interest to talk if she had a problem. Although it went against everything she had been doing up until this point. She'd never known an adult to actually enjoy taking care of her. If they did at all, it was the bare minimum but they always insisted that medicine was too expensive to waste on her. So she never really thought too much about it. Especially if she didn't want to get into trouble with her former foster parents. Sighing heavily wondering if she was ever going to get a handle of this house and their rules. She used to pride herself on knowing the rules ahead of time, but so far that hadn't done her any favors. If anything she had only made things worse somehow that she didn't really understand. She'd tried following the old rules but that just seemed to make her foster family upset. Leaving her just as confused as when she had been placed in her first home when she 5 years old.

Shivering a little at the memories quickly trying to distance herself from them as much as physically possible. Listening as Ronan mentioned they were really good at helping. Not sure she followed what he was saying, but then again she didn't really know all that much. She clearly didn't or she wouldn't feel like such an idiot when faced with all these new rules. Surprised when Ronan confided in her that he used to have to sneak out of his and Hugo's parent house. That Kennedy and Eva taught them how to steal food in the kitchen, treat injuries by himself and other things. He seemed to suggest that it wasn't normal but it seemed pretty normal to her. Stuff that she had learned to deal with though she didn't have anyone helping her out. Mostly because they ended up forgetting about her or the foster parents kept her away from the public. Not willing to risk their reputation or something like that with having her looking like she was peeled off the streets. Once more bringing into question if all she had learned from her foster homes was really the truth.

Ronan's words didn't seem to suggest that it was normal for kids to be starved. Even Eva didn't seem to think that it was very normal to be punished like she had. Saying that they were wrong were doing the things they had to her. Was any of it true? She didn't know as Ronan continued talking about his experiences in the foster home. Not sure if she believed him any more than Eva, except he had been in foster care. And those rules were some of the ones that she was used to hearing. So maybe he did know what he was talking about. It sounded like they had made a big difference to Ronan and Hugo's life making her sort of envious of them for a brief moment. Wishing she'd had that kind of help when she was being dumped at one home to the next. Sighing softly knowing she really shouldn't feel so jealous of the twins. Hearing Ronan add that they were trustworthy in his eyes at least. Promising her as much which wasn't alot to Kat even if she didn't say anything about it.

"So you think they'd be okay asking for some pain meds?" she asked rather reluctantly not sure she enjoyed being so vulnerable. Glancing around nervously all the same as if someone might yell at her for asking such a thing. Knowing it against the old rules to ask for things like that, but her head was really bothering her. Her back was too, but she was too scared to ask someone to look at that. At least, pills were easy to swallow and deal with than being touched for longer than a few seconds.

"Yeah," Ronan answered. "Why wouldn't they be?" Sitting his plate to the side, the boy pulled himself to his feet. "There are usually some in the medicine cabinet in the bathroom. I can get some for you." He bounced across the hall without waiting for Kat's response, and began to shuffle around in the medicine cabinet. He found the bottle of painkillers, but upon unscrewing the cap, was surprised to find it empty. The boy tossed the empty container into the trash before looking back over at Kat.

"Well, we're out of the ones in the bathroom," he told her. He stopped to think, stepping from foot to foot before saying, "Eva usually keeps some in her purse. I'm sure she'd give you some. Follow me!" Ronan started down the stairs and entered the kitchen, where the rest of the family had finished dinner and Eva was putting away the cleaned dishes. Ronan's gaze flitted about the kitchen, and he made his way over to where Eva usually kept her purse, surprised to find it missing from its usual spot.

Eva, who had caught sight of her son out of the corner of her eye, turned to look back at him. "Looking for something?" she asked. Her tone was gentle, and her eyes were more curious than upset with anything he might have done. Ronan turned around to face her.
"You have painkillers in your purse, right?" he asked. "We're out of them upstairs."

Eva nodded and rounded the corner, returning with the pill bottle before passing it to Ronan. "Are you all right?"

Kat didn't have an answer when Ronan asked why they wouldn't let her have pain medication. Looking away from him uneasily wondering if this was a bad idea given his response. It was hard enough admitting that she was in pain without him questioning her on it. Finding her lap suddenly much more interesting than this conversation at the present moment. She watched as he moved his plate away before standing to his feet once more as he offered to get her the meds from the bathroom. Nodding her head as she drew her legs up to her chest while she waited to see if he could find any. Surprised by how willing he was to go and get her something for her head. She thought about going after him, but remained where she was instead of following after him. Still apprehensive about leaving her bedroom for anything except maybe the washroom or meal times. She hadn't exactly been barred from coming and going, but it was better safe than sorry as far as she was concerned.

Her green eyes lifting though when he bounced back into the room nearly startling the shit out of her. Flinching a little before he told her that they seemed to be fresh out of pain meds in the bathroom. She sighed gently not really surprised and probably for the best since they were pretty expensive. Not sure how expensive but she'd heard many of her foster parents tell her this fact. Trying her best not to look so disappointed while Ronan seemed to be thinking of anywhere else that might have them. Until Ronan piped up that Eva sometimes carried some in her purse beckoning her to follow him downstairs. She hesitated though as he darted off to presumably head downstairs and locate the purse. Chewing her lip as she slowly uncurled from her current position to move from the bed. Her footsteps stalling at the edge of her bedroom debating whether she was truly okay to ask for them. Biting her bottom lip hesitantly before slowly moving to head back down the stairs.

Slowly making her way down them noting that her 'brother' was already making his way into the kitchen. Her footsteps unsure and cautious as she made sure to hold the stair railing. Her head was really beginning to bother her, but she made the trip anyways. Making her way slowly down the hallway towards the kitchen where her mothers were cleaning up after dinner. Not leaving the safety of the hallway though as Ronan looked for Eva's purse to get her the medicine. Hoping that their mother wouldn't take it out on Ronan because of her. He didn't seem too worried about punishment however, so maybe they weren't so hard on him. Flinching a little when Eva asked what he was looking for, listening to the conversation from her location as they talked. Surprised when she said nothing more about needing the pills and then moved to hand them to him. Thinking they might get off easy until Eva questioned him about why he needed the pills.

"It...It's for me...I...I asked for them," piped up Kathleen cautiously as she slowly moved away from the wall.

Wincing a little against the lights as she kept close to the wall enjoying the comfort of having something up against her back. Knowing that no one could jump her with her back turned. Trying to be brave despite being the complete opposite of that at the moment. Her green eyes studying her sock-clad feet that hadn't felt this cozy in years. Shifting a little here and there uneasily as she avoided looking at her mother for the time being.

Eva's gaze softened as she turned to see Kathleen. Of course. She should have realized that it was Kat who needed the painkillers. She took the bottle from Ronan and unscrewed the cap, taking one of the pills and handing it to Kat. "You can have one for now," she said, rounding the corner back towards the sink to get Kat a glass of water. "And if you haven't started to feel better within the next few hours you can have a second one." Kat was still so small despite her age, and Eva worried about too much of the medicine just making her feel worse. She returned to hand the glass to Kat, and then paused.

It had been a while since Kat had last had her back cleaned. It probably needed taken care of again. "How's your back?" Eva questioned gently. "It's...been a while since it was cleaned last. It probably needs looked over again. I don't want it to get any worse. If your injuries get infected, they'll hurt a lot worse. I know you don't like being touched. I'll try to make it fast and then it won't need done again for a bit. If you'll let me."

(sorry its so short and that it takes me so long between posts. i haven't been doing so great lately.)

Kathleen was quiet as she stood there shifting uneasily from foot to foot not quite meeting Eva's eyes. She was still paying attention, but she had learned a long time ago that adults didn't like it when you gave them eye contact. That it was almost like a challenge as far as she could tell. So she just focused on her feet waiting for someone to yell at her or smack her. Something that would tell her she had done the wrong thing. She could feel eyes turning to look into her although they didn't feel quite so menacing like usual. The room tension was all her as she worried her bottom lip like she was so fond of doing. Hearing the bottle of pills being exchanged from one hand to the other other by the sounds of them rolling around inside. Once again bracing for that unforgettable sting of being slapped as she stiffened a little. Her back flaring up in pain as she tensed though not as much as normally without the sedative in her system. Surprised when she saw a pill being presented to her as she felt taken aback by the gesture.

Normally, the parents were always insisting that they were too expensive for her to take. That they couldn't be wasted on the likes of her. Never in her wildest dreams had she ever been presented a pill like this. If they did at all it was normally the whole bottle and it normally was being thrown her direction in a fit of anger. They really were different than most parents she knew. Maybe because she had two mothers instead of one mother and father. No, that couldn't be right. Maybe she was reading into things too much and they had some kind of chore they needed done. Eyeing the pill warily as she tentatively reached out to take it in her fingers. Studying the pill quietly in her fingers as Eva said that she could start with one for now. Her foot then moving away from her as she seemed to be dismissed. Her feet preparing to back out when Eva started pouring water into a glass. Enough to catch Kathleen's attention as she poked her head around to see what she was doing. She liked water but not when it could hurt her.

She wasn't sure what Eva meant about having another later as she assumed she could only have one and no more. Tilting her head in mild confusion as her eyes turned to focus on the water glass in her hands. Once more lighting up like a kid at Christmas despite how simple a gesture it was. Her hand moving to offer her the glass as Kat perked up in sudden interest. She'd do just about anything for a glass of water not realizing she could have some any time she wanted. This asking for things was still very new to her and she didn't know the consequences of doing so. She probably wouldn't have even eaten if food wasn't placed in front of her. Not comfortable enough to ask for it on her own terms or getting it herself. She could have almost whined when Eva paused in giving her the class.

Only to look up when Eva mentioned her back making her swallow thickly as she shifted again. Hearing Eva mention that it was likely time for it to be changed again. Another swallow from Kat as she looked between Eva and the glass of water. The woman telling her that they just didn't want her back to get any worse. Her feet suddenly more interesting as she looked at both her arms..one covered in a brace and the other in bandages for the abrasions caused by being restrained. She was hesitant as she heard what Eva was saying despite not really wanting to go through with it. Her eyes back on the water just inches from her.

"If....if I let Kennedy....let her clean my back...I get water?" asked Kathleen not sure why she asked specifically for Kennedy. Maybe because she knew what it was to have scars...maybe because she had been the one to make her run and get hit. She didn't know why the sudden interest....but she knew more that she wanted the water. That was enough to override her desire for space and avoidance.

Kat flinched when Eva held out the pill to her, and then, after some silence, connected the offer of water to her back being cleaned. Eva offered her a gentle smile. "You can have the water now," Eva told her. "You probably shouldn't take the pill dry. At least, I never could. It always made me gag." Her brow furrowed at the unpleasant memory. But at the idea of a reward for the unpleasant task of Kathleen getting her back cleaned, Eva paused. "I'm not going to withhold water from you like it's a reward. Or food. But...I do have cookies in the cabinet. You can have one as dessert from dinner if you like. But if you let Kennedy clean up your back, you can have an extra one. Or something else, if you want. How does that sound? Fair trade?"

Eva handed Kat the water and then took a step back, offering the girl space if she wanted it. She would have cleaned Kat's back by herself, but if she wanted Kennedy to do it, then Kennedy it would be. Eva's main concern was keeping the girl's injuries clean, and letting her know she was safe and had the ability to decide things like this for herself. Ronan gave Kat a small smile and an encouraging nudge, and just as Eva turned to call over her shoulder for Kennedy, the other woman rounded the corner.

Kennedy stood beside Eva, remaining the same distance back from Kat. "I can take care of your back of you want me to," Kennedy offered. "It won't hurt. And once it's done I won't have to do it again for a couple of days."

The young girl was surprised when Eva mentioned she could have the water now without having to have her back clean. Blinking a few times as if she'd just been told a super complex math problem. She didn't often get things just because she asked for them. There was always normally some price to pay for a request. Whether it was extra chores or less food, there was always something. Once again reaffirming to the small brunette that this really was a very different family from her previous ones. Still not entirely sure whether that was a good thing or not. Her green eyes turning to the woman as she mentioned that it was better not to take the pill without it. Oh, well that made sense she supposed remembering one of her foster parents always took water with some medication they took. Once again feeling slightly stupid that she didn't know that already, but everything just seemed overly confusing over here.

Her tiny hand reaching for the water glass as she drank it greedily once again. She knew a lot of foster kids didn't like water, but Kathleen didn't care. It was all she had gotten some days and she knew it was good for you. She did remember a few things from the odd schooling she had picked up from various homes. One family had even let her go there for a whole month until she started making their oldest child look back. So she ended up getting a bad beating and pulled from the school the following day. She was quick to rid herself of that memory as she drank all the water in the glass. Not confident enough to ask for more even if she wanted it. She tilted her head a little making her wince when Eva told her that they wouldn't hold water or food back from her as a type of reward. Confusion written all over Kathleen's face at that sentiment as Eva added that she did have cookies. That she might be able to get an extra one if she was a good girl.

Her eyes perking up in interest as that was something that was familiar with. Her old social worker Andrew often gave her a treat for being a good girl. Like telling him if she wasn't feeling well or if she simply asked him of something. She thought the game was a strange one, but it had the desired affect at least. She still didn't really want to get her back taken care of, but at least she got a treat out of it. It seemed like something that Andrew would have done now that she thought about it. She did want to be a good girl after all until she realized that Eva probably wanted a verbal answer. A situation she was still not entirely comfortable with after prolonged years of silence.

"Y...yes ma'am," murmured Kathleen respectively as she shifted once more.

Her imagination now focused on what kind of cookies they might be that she had available. Chocolate chip? Oatmeal and raisins? Shortbread? She didn't even seem to notice when Eva took a step back from her. Giving her some space as she finished off the water and pill in her hands. Startled a little by the gentle nudge from Ronan as she jumped a little. Just as Kennedy appeared in the kitchen now as well offering to clean her back. That she would be gentle and then it wouldn't need cleaning for a few more days. Not sure, she liked the idea of having to be touched again so soon, but she supposed there was nothing for it. She had kind of promised Eva and they had said she could have a cookie after. Assuming they were telling the truth about it to begin with. Suddenly finding herself a little more apprehensive worried if this was some big trick.

Was it right to ask Kennedy if she was telling the truth? What if she said she was but then lied anyways? Or maybe she'd get in trouble for just asking if she were trying to trick her. Maybe this whole thing was to just to get her to do the hard thing anyways. She opened her mouth to do it anyways, but then promptly closed her mouth soon after. Giving a small subtle nod of her head as she moved to put her glass in the dishwasher. Moving back towards the stairs to head up as she waited reluctantly for Kennedy.

Kennedy offered Kat a reassuring grin, and turned to head back up the staircase. She slipped into the bathroom, rummaging beneath the sink for a moment or two before reemerging with the same medicine she had used to clean Kat's back the previous time. She waited for Kat to settle down in front of her, and then silently began to inspect the girl's injuries. They appeared to be better than before, though a few of them had opened back up again. But none of them appeared to be infected, at least. Still, she supposed it wouldn't hurt to be careful.

"How's your back feeling?" she questioned as she began to gently clean the still-healing wounds. "Better? Worse? It definitely looks better than before. If we keep it clean you should heal up in no time." She finished bandaging the last of the cuts and then flashed Kat a grin. "There," she said. "All done. That wasn't so bad, was it? How do you feel now?"

The question was mostly in regard to the girl's back, but she also meant in general. Kennedy knew that Kathleen still didn't trust them, but she still wanted Kat to feel safe and cared for regardless. She knew they couldn't do much other than give it time and continuing to be kind to her. She would come around eventually.

Just like many times before, Kathleen waited for Kennedy to go ahead of her before following suit. She still wasn't sure about this, but she didn't see any way out of it. She would just have to grin and bear it like most of her childhood. Slowly walking into the bathroom after her foster mother as she kept her distance again from the bath tub. She knew she was going to have to use at some point, but hopefully not soon. Avoiding looking at even as she shifted uneasily. She would have been in worse shape had she not been on the sedatives keeping her from a full blown panic attack. Noting the woman grabbing the same things they had used the last time on her back. Her green eyes carefully watching every move that she made ready to get out of there if she became a threat. Questioning why she was even agreeing to this other than she knew it meant a lot to her foster parents. Strange parents at that but she really did try to get along with them.

Her green eyes wandering the bathroom as Kennedy finished gathering what she needed. It seemed like it was now or never as she hesitantly pulled up her shirt. Revealing the gauze pads that currently hide the wounds from view. Taking several deep breaths to steady herself as she instinctively wanted to tense up. Feeling incredibly vulnerable right now with her back to Kennedy unable to protect herself from harm like this. She would have been shaking, but instead she simply tensed a little. Chewing her bottom lip as she felt the pad being slowly peeled back as delicately she could. Kathleen giving little signs of pain though by all accounts it probably would have. She just knew it wouldn't do any good if she tried to speak out about the pain. Then again after everything she had been through, she had a much higher pain tolerance than most. She kept wanting to glance back to see what she was doing, but it would be too hard on her.

She was surprisingly gentle though as the woman tended to her back. Certainly nicer than any of her foster parents before had been. Was this what it felt like to be loved? She used to think she knew what love was, but now she wasn't so sure. Kennedy and Eva both seemed to think that she didn't, but her foster parents before had all been the same. So which was the outlier in all of this? Which was the one that she was supposed to believe? She didn't know and she was too scared to ask Kennedy. Swallowing back a lump in her throat when she heard Kennedy ask about her back. Not sure whether she was supposed to lie about it or tell the truth. Ronan's words coming back to her about how mad they had been with Hugo when he didn't take his medicine. Ronan said it was because they just cared an awful lot about him, which made little sense to her. She'd never known one could care enough to be mad at someone.

"It stings a little but I've experienced much worse. My heads been hurting since I woke up though," admitted Kathleen bracing herself once again preparing for the worse. Thinking that she might get smacked for speaking so freely. She didn't want to admit it but this certainly felt nicer than anything she had ever experienced before.

Almost missing when Kennedy spoke further asking whether it was better or worse. That it would be over soon enough as she closed her eyes. Counting internally as she tried not to think about it. She hated being touched like this, but she supposed there was just no other way. Clenching her hand when she felt another bandage being added to her back. Opening her eyes when she heard that it was all done now. Kennedy continued speaking, but Kathleen wasn't really hearing her as memories threatened to swallow her whole. Eva's words coming back to her about how those people didn't really love her. Not like they should have at least as she hesitantly played with her shirt.

"They didn't really love me...did they?" she asked in a small quiet voice that just barely could be heard.

Kennedy was silent for a moment at Kathleen's question, not quite sure how to answer. Some of them might have, if only in the wrong ways. Kennedy's brother had probably loved her at some point, until he had decided she embarrassed him, and she had loved him until he'd started hurting her. Jupiter's aunt and uncle had loved them, until they realized that Jupiter no longer met their expectations of what they were supposed to be. Eva's father had loved her until she had stopped being Eric and become Eva instead. It was love that had been conditional, ready to be revoked at the first sign of any slip up.

Kennedy sighed, leaning back up against the wall before finally speaking again. "No," she said. "Not in the way they were supposed to, anyway." Kennedy turned to look back at Kat. "They weren't supposed to hurt you. Even if you made them mad, or messed up or just...weren't what they expected you to be. That's not what family is. Your family is supposed to love you unconditionally. They're not supposed to just...stop because you weren't perfect. Because people aren't perfect, and children don't exist to live out their parents fantasies--however crazy those might be--or to be little silent, emotionless robots. They're separate people, with separate emotions and needs and thoughts. Nothing that happened to you was your fault."

Kennedy continued as she knelt to put the medicine away under the sink. "It wasn't my fault my brother beat me up on an almost constant basis," she said. "It wasn't Eva's fault her dad slapped her and kicked her out of the house after she came out to him. That was his own fault, for putting his own expectations over his kid's happiness and sense of self. Sometimes parents really suck, and a lot of people really shouldn't have kids. Someone else failed you, and put you into a lot of bad situations you didn't deserve. And that isn't your fault."

Kat wasn't sure if she really expected any answer to her inquiry about if any of those people had really loved her. At most, she expected to told not to speak unless spoken to. Or to be silenced with a slap or some form of painful reminder. Making her wonder if she should perhaps try to take back the words at all. That she didn't really need an answer judging by the silence behind her. She wasn't even sure if she wanted to know the answer despite asking. Not sure if she was truly ready to know whether this was just bad luck or if there was something horribly wrong with her. Her fingers picking at a bit of fluff on her borrowed pants as she kept her gaze down. Her teeth playing with her bottom lip as she waited to either being reprimanded or for Kennedy to say something. Anything was better than the current quiet that had suddenly come over them both. Turning her head ever so slightly to see that she had moved to lean against a wall.

Had she said something wrong? Was she not allowed to ask questions? Logically she wanted to assume that the answer was no after all the experiences that she had endured. Only for Kennedy to sigh putting Kathleen slightly on edge as she heard a quiet 'No' giving her pause. Not sure what that meant exactly as she considered asking for clarification though she sure one question was enough. Surprised when she started speaking again telling her it wasn't in the way they were supposed to love her. She frowned in confusion as Kennedy reiterated what Eva had told her earlier. That they weren't what a normal family was meant to work. Feeling eyes on her that made her shift a little to see the older woman properly now. Hearing how they weren't supposed to have hurt her. Her mouth opening wanting to argue that they didn't hurt her intentionally, but fell silent. She allowed Kennedy to keep speaking as she added that even if she messed up or made them mad didn't make a difference.

She told her that family wasn't like what she experienced and that love was meant to be unconditional. That it didn't just stop because you messed up or weren't perfect. Looking down a little at that even as Kennedy went on to say that children weren't meant to be perfect. People weren't perfect either and that they shouldn't have put their own desires on her. Or force her to be an emotionless robot as she shifted a little uneasy at that notion. Her mouth opening again when Kennedy said that none of what happened was her fault. Was it true? Was none of what happened really her fault? Her foster parents before her certainly seemed to think so. Her foster siblings seemed to think so. She didn't know what to make of this small shred of information to be quite honest. All her life she had been told she was a freak, a burden, a complication, a hindrance and any other unimaginably harsh names.

Suddenly not feeling so great as she felt fresh tears starting to slide down her face. So it was true and it only made her heart ache even worse than before. Sinking to the floor of the bathroom afraid she might collapse otherwise as she let it sink in. Her limbs shaking only just as she withdrew into herself now. Not paying attention to Miss Kennedy as she went over everything she had ever been told. It was almost too much for her to bare even for an adult. To know that your life was all a lie was a hard thing to comprehend. Only just barely hearing Kennedy's words about her brother or Eva's father and this was all on the brother and father. That people had failed her too and put her in bad situations that she shouldn't have been subjected to. Starting to cry as Miss Kennedy told her that none of this was her fault. She would have been worse off were it not for the sedatives.

"It can't be true....It just can't...because it means that...that I got hurt for nothing. I just....I just wanted a family. To be loved....to be accepted...everyone told me that it was my fault. That there was something wrong with me. Was it really so wrong of me?" whispered Kathleen not sure who she was speaking to anymore. Her heart still aching from the revelation as she stared into her lap now. Red-stained face as she wanted to kick herself for being so stupid.

As Kennedy spoke, Kat sank to the bathroom floor behind her. Kennedy knew she was crying without turning to look at her, and for several moments Kennedy remained knelt before the cabinet, her shoulders dropping slightly as she stared silently into the cabinet, looking at nothing in particular. She knew, of course, exactly how Kat felt. She had run from her mother's house all those years ago, with the exact same feelings as Kat had now. Eva had fled her father's house feeling much the same. Both of them with that voice in the back of their minds. The one that said, Look what you've done now. You've failed at even the most basic of things. Finding somewhere that accepts you.

"Was it really so wrong of me?"

Kat's final sentence pulled her from her own thoughts, and Kennedy turned around to look at her before moving to sit beside the child, with her back against the wall. "No," she answered softly, gently resting a comforting hand on Kat's back. "There is nothing wrong with you. And nothing that happened to you was your fault. Life just...threw you a really nasty curveball. Which you didn't deserve. You deserve love, and acceptance, and care, just like you always have. And..." her voice trailed off again, and the room was quiet again.

"And you have it now," she stated firmly. "It's late. And it's not the most...typical family you could've gotten, but we love you and we want you here."

Kathleen knew that crying never got her anywhere, but it was all too much to take in. Her hands around herself trying to self-soothe somehow when her heart was breaking under the pressure. Everything she had been told was a lie. Sure, there had been times when she was younger that she might have expected such a deceit. As time went on and she saw time and again that parents simply were that cruel, she started to believe its truthfulness. Allowing time and time again for her to be treated with such hardships. She just couldn't believe it as she cried on the bathroom floor in front of Kennedy. She didn't even care this time if she got punished for making a noise. She just hurt so much that no amount of silence could ever really muffle her heartache. All those nights telling herself that she was bad...that she was lower than dirt. She still didn't want to believe it, but if both Eva and Kennedy were saying it. Well it must be true to a certain degree especially if the doctor allowed her to stay with them.

More tears spilling down her face staining her cheeks red in what seemed like so long now. Going back to what Eva had told her about trying to think of a time where she wasn't hurt. She had all but forgotten about the times now with everything that had happened. Believing them to just be figments of her imagination or a dream that helped her sleep through the night. She could have almost forgotten that Kennedy was even with her now. She hadn't said a word to her since she started to cry into her lap. Her hands around her knees drawn into her chest as she continued to cry openly. A part of her actively surprised by the fact that nobody was stopping her. That nobody was grabbing her by the scruff or smacking her so that she shut up. Reminding her of the rules of silence always being golden. If anything the fact that nobody interfered just seemed to make her cry harder.

At least if someone had smacked her then she'd know for certain that this was simply part of her life. Yet, the fact that nobody had left her with further conflicting feelings. Of what was the truth in the mess that was her life. Her eyes swimming with tears now, though her sobbing never got very loud. A symptom of the abuse that she had put under since she was just 5 years old. Not sure how she was even able to get out the words that she spoke to no one in particular. Although she knew Kennedy was still in the room as she hadn't heard the door close or footsteps down the stairs. Granted, she could have left and she would have been none the wiser. It would serve her right for crying like a baby right now though. Yet, it was her last muffled words that seemed to break Kennedy from her silence. Suddenly feeling a presence at her side as Kennedy gently moved to sit beside her. A presence that was neither good or bad in Kathleen's books, but not completely unwanted.

Hearing a soft no so faint that she wasn't sure she had even heard it at all. Followed by a gentle pressure on her back making her flinch instinctively expecting to be hit. Instead, all she got was a simple well placed touch that oddly soothed the crying child inside of her. She was very hesitant and cautious as she absently leaned into the pressure on her back. It didn't move and it didn't do anything else except rest there on her backside. Something she had never experienced before as the tears continued to pour down her face. Probably the first real time she had ever cried so much since the first time she got smacked for wetting the bed again. Kennedy spoke once more telling her that there was absolutely nothing wrong with her. That none of this was even remotely her fault in the slightest. That she just got thrown a curveball whatever that meant and it was undeserved. That she should have been loved, accepted and even cared for from maybe even the start.

Finding it hard to believe that she deserved any of the things that Kennedy spoke about. It just made the tears keep coming as she took in everything that she was being told. Her head cautiously looking up though when Kennedy then told her that she had it now. That it was perhaps late in coming and not the most typical of families but they loved her and wanted to have her there. Her green eyes shimmering with more tears as she looked up at into the face of Kennedy. Something awakened in her that had laid quite dormant for several years now. A childish voice that only wanted to love and be loved by another. Against all the odds, Kathleen slowly reached out to wrap her arms around Miss Kennedy. Burying her head into the woman's chest despite how silly it might be for a twelve year old to do such a thing.

Tears continued spilling down Kat's face. Kennedy sat silently beside her, her hand still resting on the girl's back. She desperately wanted Kathleen to believe her, to understand that she had done nothing to warrant the things that had happened to her. But she had said all that she could. All she could do now was repeat it, and continue giving Kat the same kindness and reassurance that she had already been. Kennedy gently rubbed the girl's back for a moment, and then her hand went still again, the pair sitting in tense silence.

And then Kat hesitantly reached out toward her, wrapping her arms around Kennedy and sinking into the older woman's shape as she wept. Kennedy wrapped her arms around the girl, enveloping her small form in a tight hug and pressing a soft kiss to the top of Kat's head. "You're okay," she promised softly as she started to rub the girl's back once more. "It's okay."

She could practically hear her inner voice screaming at her that this was a mistake. That she might get severely punished for doing something so childish. Let alone crying and touching an adult without being asked to. She was probably breaking about a dozen rules alone right now in this bathroom. It just felt so good to be held even if it was scary for her as well. Her movements so cautious and stiff ready to bolt the second that there may be a threat to her. Or that she may come to regret getting so comfortable even in a moment of weakness. Yet, it didn't stop her from hugging her foster mother as she started to truly break down in front of her. The pain was unbearable more so than any beating or rejection she had faced since she was 5 years old. Her eyes closed as she buried her head into her chest as she flinched as arms wrapped around her now too. Not use to being touched like this, but so long as it wasn't her wrists...she was okay with it.

It hurt a little because of her freshly cleaned back, but she didn't pull away from it. Her face very red from the tears that stained her face as she cried. Letting the tears wash away the pain that she felt as new ones replaced the old ones. Very aware that she was probably getting Miss Kennedy's shirt all gross. Nobody liked a crying child and she supposed this shouldn't be any different. She really tried not to ruin it, but it just hurt so much. Not sure whether she was crying because of the possible truths being thrown at her....her ruined childhood...or maybe just having to hold back for so long. All she knew was that she couldn't fight it off any longer. She was still stiff and a little tense as her head shifted to rest on her shoulder. Trying to get comfortable which was proving hard having never learned what it was to be soothed. It was alot to take in although the medications helped ground her to a certain degree.

Aware of Kennedy's presence and what she was doing when she was doing it. A side affect from having to always be on her guard back in her other homes. A second too late and she would unquestionably be punished. Flinching once more when she felt Kennedy's grip tighten just a little around her making her panic for a moment. Until she realized that she wasn't being suffocated or in any kind of real harm. Despite her breaking down, Kat was still a very quiet child. Even her break down was a relatively quiet affair aside from the tell-tale signs from her body. Still not aware that she was allowed to make noise without threat of punishment. Not sure how long she sat in her arms crying or how long had passed since she'd come back upstairs. It mattered little as she swore she felt Kennedy kiss the top of her head. A sign of love from what she knew but it had to have been her imagination.

Closing her eyes as she heard Kennedy's softly soothing voice telling her that it was okay. Slowly starting to rub her back as she flinched again though less violently as she just seemed to repeat the word 'okay' to her. Slowly losing the ability to focus on that as the gentle touch of her hand and the warm body easily were wearing Kathleen out. Whether she liked it or not, the drugs were doing their work as she started to drift off little by little. Soon losing the battle altogether to stay awake as she went limp in her arms. Her hand still fisted in Kennedy's shirt as though she may disappear altogether. Soon fast asleep in no time worn out by the day's events and her earlier injuries. Her breathing evening out as well as a few last tears slid down her face.

They sat like that for a while, neither one saying anything. Kennedy could feel Kat beginning to drift off in her arms, but she didn't dare move, not wanting a sudden movement to jolt the girl back into her nearly permanent state of fear. Shortly after, Kathleen drifted off completely, her fingers still clutching the fabric of Kennedy's shirt. Kennedy let out a small sigh, standing up and lifting the sleeping child into her arms before stepping out of the bathroom.

Kennedy carried Kat down the hall to her bedroom and gently tucked the girl into bed, taking the stuffed wolf and bear from where they sat and tucking them in beside her. She'd been slightly startled by Kat's outburst at first, but the girl had been more vulnerable and open with her in the time it took for her to have her back cleaned and finally drift off than she had ever been arriving at the house. Kennedy wondered how long it had been since Kat had last allowed herself to break down, allowed herself to be loved. Kennedy doubted it had been any time in recent memory, and knowing that Kat had had to keep her emotions buried for this long made her heart sink.

Reaching out to gently stroke the sleeping child's hair, Kennedy leaned down to kiss her on the forehead once more before turning and quietly leaving the room, glancing back at Kat once and then closing the door behind her.

She didn't remember falling asleep in the arms of her foster mother, Kennedy. Worn out by crying and just vulnerable enough to forgo her worries to just be loved for a moment.Deep down, there was still an innocent child that longed to be belong to a family. That wanted to love and be loved back without pain or fear. It seemed to only truly shine when she was at her worst. Her limbs slowly loosening up in sleep as she cried herself out on the young woman's shoulder. Too tired to worry about punishment or whether she was too old to be carried to bed. She barely looked nine years old compared to her real age of twelve. She barely even acknowledged when she was slowly picked up off the floor. Her arms instinctively tightening a little around her neck. Not to hurt, but to avoid being dropped unintentionally. The picture of innocence she was curled up with her head on her shoulder.

Once again, she had worn herself out beyond what was probably good for her. Barely a few days into her new situation and she was still just as fidgety as as she the first day. It was a lot to take in not just the new surroundings, but there were a lot of new faces she needed to get use to as well. Including new rules and boundaries that had never really been much before now. It always took her a good deal of time to adjust to a new home. This wasn't any different except that everything was backwards and flipped over. A gentle sigh escaping her lips as she nuzzled in a little despite it only being a short ride over her bedroom. Only curling up onto her side once Kennedy gently put her down to nap once more. Instinctively cuddling up against the blankets that were softer than anything she had felt before. They felt good on her body and her sore back from being cleaned once more.

Unaware of her foster mother laying out her two stuffed animals nearby at her convenience. Slowly pulling her familiar wolf a little closer to her chest protectively. Another tiny contented sigh escaping her lips as she continued to sleep peacefully. Her head subconsciously leaning into the gentle touch of Kennedy's hand as it carded through her long brown hair. It would undoubtedly need a good cleaning soon, but she was otherwise alright for the time being. Though still too skinny, but that would take time to build up after months of being periodically starved. A soft smile appearing on her face when she felt a kiss on her forehead before it was gone once more. Not even acknowledging the door closing tight behind her or even as a man came to the front door. A gentle knock on the door alerting the occupants of his arrival as he glanced around.

He was tall with a brown suit and light brown hair as he glanced around the place. He had a good feeling about this family and only wished he'd been there to take her himself. He knew he should not have let Michaels handle her file, but his family emergency had delayed him. Rather than make her wait a few more days, he'd had someone else escort her. They hadn't even given the parents her medical files or talked about some of the things they might need to know about her. He sighed as while the man did have a heart, he was very distant with the kids and very impartial. Perhaps, it was better that way, but he didn't think that helped ease them into their homes better. He'd spent a lot of time with Kathleen since being assigned her file and it was only fair he finish this. His head slowly turning back when the door opened as he straightened himself out.

"Oh hello. I'm looking for Ms. Kennedy or Ms. Eva? I'm Andrew from Social Services," replied the young man politely at whoever got the door. Polite and casual as he was not making a home visit as he was often required to do. He truly just wanted to see that Kathleen was alright and go over the things that Michael's failed to do. A folder tucked in his arm that he wanted to give them along with his number in case they had further questions.

After slipping soundlessly from Kathleen's room, Kennedy headed back down the stairs. It was quiet, all the kids having dispersed from the room. She rounded the corner into the kitchen, standing on her toes to peck Eva on the cheek. "She's asleep," Kennedy said softly, a small smile dancing on her lips. "I think I got through to her. Just a touch." She slipped her arms around Eva's waist and leaned into her, staying that way in silence for several moments until a light knock at the front door disrupted it. Eva shot Kennedy a quizzical look, and Kennedy could only shrug her shoulders in response. They hadn't been expecting anyone.

Opening the door revealed a tall man in a brown suit that Eva didn't recognize, a file folder underneath his arm. Kennedy remained a few steps behind her, watching the doorway with interest. The man introduced himself then, stating he was looking for them. Eva gave a small nod, and greeted the man with a smile. "You've found us," she told him, stepping aside to let the man in. "Is everything all right?" She hoped so. Nobody had called to tell either one of them that someone was coming, and the sudden appearance of a social worker concerned her.

Andrew knew his presence was unscheduled and went against protocol, but he would never forgive himself if he did not check on her. He had already failed her enough as it was, he refused to do it again. They seemed like a good family however, and nobody had reported problems with the other foster children. Something he should have warned Kathleen about knowing how difficult this adjustment would be without siblings in the mix. She already struggled with the daily routine though he had worked hard with her on it. Yet, with each new return she reverted back to old habits. A heavy sigh escaped his lips just as the door opened and he was greeted by who he could only assume was one of Kat's new mothers. He stood proud with the folder tucked under his arm as the pair offered for him to come inside.

"Yes, ma'am. I apologize for the unscheduled visit. I was Kat's primary social worker and unfortunately had a family emergency the day she was due to arrive here. So I asked a colleague to take her to avoid putting it off any longer. Thankfully, the emergency is dealt with, but I wanted to see to Kat. I'm sorry for my colleague. He should have given you Kat's file and medical reports. He means well, but he puts on a cold shoulder so the kids can't attach to him. I don't necessarily agree with it, but that's Michaels," replied Andrew sadly as he glanced around the seemingly well-kept house.

His eyes looking for Kat surprised she wasn't begging him to take her with him. It was a good sign at least as he stepped inside when they offered it. Hoping that they were alone so he could go over some things that he could think of. The things that Michaels had forgotten to go over with them. Slowly relinquishing the folder tucked under his arm to give to one of the woman. The folder contained both his notes and the medical reports should they get a family doctor for her. A faint smile on his face as he stood there in the entrance way.

"I was wondering if we could speak. I've known Kat the longest and can shed some light for you. I'm not here on business. I just...Kat's a very special young girl and needed to see that she's in good hands this time. She's been through a lot unfortunately and I feel as though I've only prolonged her suffering. I just wanted to make sure you had everything," insisted Andrew as he looked at the two ladies not wishing to undermine whatever progress they had managed to make with her. He only wanted to see she was happy and finally had the home she deserved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back