• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Family Ties

"You're welcome," Eva said, taking a small step into the doorway. She looked back to the plate of food. She had forgotten something. Of course she had. Kathleen would have to drink something, and Eva should have realized the girl wasn't going to get it herself. "I'll be back," Eva said, whisking out the door and down the stairs again. She pulled a glass from the cabinet turned toward the sink, gazing thoughtfully at the empty cup. Kat's eyes lit up at the mere sight of water, but she'd slurped down the orange juice at the hospital as though she had never tasted anything so good. They had orange juice in the fridge.

Eva took the jug from the refrigerator and filled the glass before returning to Kat's bedroom. "Here," Eva said, extending the cup to the child. "You seemed to like it at the hospital, so I thought you might want some now. I can get you some water if you want." Eva sat down beside Kat, not saying much of anything for some time; unsure of how exactly to phrase what she wanted to say. After several minutes, she finally looked back to the girl.

"I..." she trailed off. "I want you to know that it's okay for you to talk here. It's okay for you to express opinions and ask questions, and say any of the other things you feel like you need to say. I know you have questions. I know you're confused, and scared, and I'm sure you have plenty of things you want to say. I just want you to know that you can talk to me...or not, if you don't want to. It's important to me that you don't constantly feel like you're walking on eggshells around here."

She watched Eva move into her bedroom a moment as she shifted to give her some space. Only to frown when Eva then turned around insisting that she would be back. Tilting her head watching Eva retreat downstairs though she didn't say anything about it. Returning her gaze back down to her breakfast still finding this all very complex. Taking a few small bites of her breakfast as she wondered if Eva might come back. She had said she would, but parents lied all the time or so she had found. Moving to set her pill to her bedside table so it didn't end up mixing into her food. Taking a small bite of the bacon she picked up as she just about moaned at the taste. She'd made a lot of bacon in her time, but she'd never tasted something so satisfying. Certainly, nothing this fresh although she'd had burnt bacon before that made her super sick afterward. Shivering at the memory of that unpleasant moment in her life just as Eva made her way upstairs once more.

Kathleen trying very hard not to let on how happy she was seeing Eva back now. The knowledge that she had said something and then followed through with it was new to her. Knowing Eva hadn't had to come back if she really didn't want. She felt sort of bad that she was making her stay up here, but it was just too overwhelming right now. It was hard enough accepting the things that were already being laid down before her. Like being able to sleep in a nice soft bed, being cared for when she wasn't feeling well, served food without having to beg for it. It was all so different as she shifted more against the headboard of her bed. Surprised when Eva offered her something to drink as she opened her mouth in awe. Seeing that it was the stuff from the hospital as she seemed to light up again at the simple gesture. Grabbing it nervously as she kept it close as though afraid her mother might take it back from her. Taking several large gulps of it in between bits of food enjoying every minute of it.

If this was a new form of punishment than she wouldn't mind getting in trouble more often. Doing her hardest not to shovel food in her mouth, but it was just so good and fresh. Occasionally glancing in Eva's direction as she seemed to be contemplating something. Normally, it didn't always bode well for Kathleen as she swallowed another mouthful of food. Noticing she hadn't brought herself breakfast which was interesting. Looking down wondering if she was meant to share this. Shifting a little uneasily as Eva looked over at her making her stop eating altogether. Here it comes, she was going to get punished just like she should have known. Swallowing nervously as she ducked her head a little to a more subservient angle. Only to realize that Eva just wanted to talk with her which took Kat by surprise. Telling her that she was allowed to talk in this house, to have opinions, questions, and even desires. Looking at her plate now but she was still listening attentively.

She did have questions, but she'd always been told that nobody liked a talkative child. Even this new social worker had sometimes snapped at her from time to time. Listening as Eva continued on to say that she could understand being scared and confused right now. That it was okay to be those things but that Eva was there for her...they both were if she would only let them. Insisting that Eva didn't want her thinking she was constantly in danger. Moving to set her plate half eaten down as she thought about what Eva was saying to her. Drawing her knees to her chest as she felt so overwhelmed with this change in her routine. Feeling a few tears slid down her face trying to recall a time when she wasn't fearful.

"I only stopped when I was seven....Mr. Martin used to get really angry if I asked things. He...He...was the first...but they all said the same thing. Little girls should be silent and unseen. They told me that every day. It was....part of the rules. I thought it was normal," she said so quietly as a few tears started sliding down her face. Not really looking at Eva as she stared at a spot on the wall.

Kat seemed surprised that Eva had returned at all, though she didn’t seem upset by her presence. In fact, she seemed maybe a bit pleased, despite what appears to be her best efforts to hide it.

Eva grinned as she watched Kat gulp down the orange juice. “There’s more in the fridge whenever you want it,” Eva told her. “You can have some whenever.” Looking the child over once again, Eva concluded that she probably needed the extra vitamins anyway, small and malnourished as she was. And if she wound up getting them from orange juice, then orange juice it would be.

Eva’s brow furrowed as Kathleen spoke to her. “It’s garbage,” she finally said after a brief moment of silence. “About girls being seen and not heard. Do you know why people say that? It’s because way back in the past some whiny old guys got mad about little girls being curious and wanting to learn and generally having opinions. Because if girls learned things then boys wouldn’t be the smarter ones anymore, and all those thousand year old men would rather set the world on fire than be bested by a girl. And now people say that because they want to discourage girls from learning so the boys can keep doing whatever they want. It’s not right, Kat.”

The woman let out a huff. Not at Kat, but rather what she had been told. Noticing tears begin to trickle down the girl’s face, Eva gently reached out and placed a comforting hand on Kat’s back before letting it drop again. Her voice softened a bit more as she spoke again. “It’s okay to ask questions. It’s okay to be curious. You can ask me anything you want. I won’t get mad. “

Kat was silent but for the tears sliding down her face as she looked to the wall for lack of anything better. Looking at her half-empty glass of orange juice realizing she'd never tasted something so magical. Then again, just about everything was exciting and new for the young girl. The little things many kids took for granted, she'd been unable to have including the most basic of needs. Eva had told her that she was allowed to have more, but she wasn't sure about that. She liked to think that was true, but it was very difficult to tell anymore. Nothing followed the norms of what she was used to and it only made her that much more nervous. Sniffling a little as she tried to wipe the tears away with her left hand since the other was in a brace. Not sure she should be revealing that much about her home lives before this. It just had sort of come out without thinking about it. She didn't seem annoyed at least that Kat was telling this but it still felt wrong somehow.

Only to flinch a little bracing against the headboard making her whine from pain at hearing Eva's sudden words. Taking her by surprise as she just about displaced her breakfast plate at the same time. Wondering what she had done wrong almost immediately as she dropped her head. Hands instinctively coming up to protect herself despite Eva making no move towards her. Heart pounding loudly in her chest for several moments before she realized that there was no threat. Only Eva insisting that it wasn't right for women not to be seen or heard. Saying nothing to the contrary other than a shrug when Eva asked if she knew why it was said. Telling her something of a story if you could call it about how some really old guys didn't like the idea of a girl besting them. Lowering her arms hesitantly as she listened tentatively to her mother. Still skeptical given all she'd learned in her times since her mother passed away. Having her insist that it wasn't right for people to tell her those things but she just shrugged.

Hearing her huff making her a little uneasy unable to discern whether Eva was upset with her or not. Ninety-nine percent of the time it normally was her fault as she kept her head ducked anyways. Flinching a little as Eva moved in her general direction but she didn't move away from her. Bracing a little as her hand came out to touch her back, expecting to be grabbed or something. Only to feel a gentle pat on her back as she slowly opened her eyes in complete shock. Looking from where Eva's hand was as she looked in almost awe at the gentle touch before she drew it back. A small flicker of sadness passing her eyes but it was quickly gone again as she felt more tears slid down her face. Hearing her insist that it was alright to ask questions or be curious about things. That she could ask her anything and she wouldn't be mad.

"I'd get the belt if I talked though," she said really quietly almost too low to hear though as felt more tears down her face.

Compared to Kat, Eva had been extremely lucky. She had had the support of her mother until the woman had become sick and died, and despite her father's distant and often cold demeanor, he had never been violent with her until they day she had come out to him. He had simply made it excruciatingly evident that he was disappointed with her. That with her soft, gentle nature and being uninterested in the masculine pursuits he had tried to involve her in, she was not the son he had hoped for. Following her mother's death, the two had simply been two people living at opposite ends of the same house.

Eva's heart sank as she watched the tears flowing down Kat's face, the child still seemingly convinced that she would be struck for speaking out of turn. Eva gently put an arm around Kat, ready to pull away again if Kat flinched. The pair sat in silence for a moment before speaking. "Oh, honey..." she murmured gently. "Not here. I promise you that isn't going to happen here. It shouldn't have happened to you anywhere, and I'm so, so sorry that it did. But nobody is going to hurt you here. You can talk to me. I want you to talk to me. I want you to ask me questions and tell me whatever it is you're thinking about."

Eva wondered when the last time Kat had felt safe enough to express herself was. Three years ago? Five years ago? Had she ever not lived in complete and total fear? Eva wasn't sure, but the more she saw of Kathleen's responses to...well, just about anything, the more she doubted the idea. Kat was always on edge, always looking for the next escape route, always struggling to be perfect just to avoid being hurt. It was no wonder she was skeptical of their kindness. She hadn't experienced any in years. Perhaps before she was even old enough to remember it.

Aside from the tears sliding down her face, there wasn't much sound coming from Kat as she sat there on the bed. Her half-eaten breakfast forgotten now on the bed between them since Eva spoke to her. A very small part of her wanting to talk about what was bothering her, but another part wasn't ready to breach the rules that'd been so ingrained into her. Hell, they'd been practically beaten into her since she was just shy of five years old. Recalling the first time she ever felt the sting of a hand across her face all because she wet the bed during a thunderstorm. Shaking the thoughts from her head not wanting to remember those moments. It never did her any good as the silence spread between the two women there in the bedroom. Her face stained red by the tears that she silently cried. Not one to make much sound most of the time after being told enough times that it wouldn't do her any good. It never had before as she kept her gaze anywhere than on Eva. Trying to wipe the tears away even as more replaced the ones she wiped away.

Not sure why she had told Eva this stuff at all, but a small part of her said it was okay to do so. The same one that had been hidden away for many years now when she saw what the world had to offer her. She had become a parent's idea of a perfect child but at the cost of her innocence. Her vision blurring as the tears obstructed her vision. Looking to her drawn-up knees to try and self-comfort herself as she had after each and every beating. Pulled from her thoughts by the sudden presence of a hand wrapping around her. Flinching a little, but it was more reactionary based than out of any desire to move away. Looking up at Eva seeing no malice in her face only an emotion Kat didn't see very often. At first, Kat was sort of against the touch, but when it became clear that there was no ill-intent she seemed to accept it. Not quite enjoying it, but she didn't pull away from it as they sat there quietly. Not quite the tense quiet that had been there earlier in the kitchen as she made breakfast.

Hearing that use of honey again, something very strange to her as Eva seemed sad almost. Frowning as she hadn't meant to make her sad too, wondering if she should have said anything. She didn't mean to upset her just as she hadn't meant to worry Kennedy when she got hit by the car. Listening as she said 'not here', at first confusing the poor girl until she realized what she was saying. That they wouldn't 'belt' her here, but that did little to reassure her. Even as Eva promised her that it wouldn't happen here. That it wasn't meant to have happened anywhere and she was sorry that it had. Giving Eva a puzzled look not sure she understand what she was saying. Far as she knew it was normal with Eva's family being the strange ones. It was really getting confusing the more they told her these things. Making her wonder if it was just to try and trick her into being bad so they could punish her. Yet, she'd done so many things and not been punished thus far.

Eva continuing on to say that nobody here in this house was going to harm her. That she could talk to her if she wanted before insisting that she wanted her to talk to her. Chewing on her lip in uncertainty as she didn't know what to think of all this. That meant breaking rules and she didn't like it when she broke rules because that meant she was in trouble. Opening and closing her mouth several times as she started fidgeting a lot more. What was normal for her didn't sound like it was normal for Eva's family. It contradicted everything she ever knew making her question it. Was Eva right or were the other homes right? The more she spent with this family, the more confusing every seemed to be for her. But if Eva was right then that meant than those homes were wrong. And if...no. She quickly shook her head feeling herself working herself into another attack.

"No...no...no that can't be right. No...you're wrong....you're just trying to trick me. Because....no...." started Kat as she moved away from Eva. Pushing herself into the headboard as she tried to tell herself it was wrong. Moving the plate away as she started working herself up now. Telling herself that they were waiting to punish her because the other solution was too horrible to think about. Trying to block out the thoughts that were circling through her head right now as she kept repeating the word 'No'.

Kathleen scrambled back on the bed and Eva immediately dropped her hand. Eva reached down to grab the plate of food from where it had begun to teeter on the edge of the bed. She set it aside on the table beside the bed and watched as the child cowered against the headboard, her eyes worried and conflicted. All she wanted to do was fix this. She wanted to make Kat believe her, make her understand that people were supposed to be kind instead of cruel. But Kat couldn't read her mind, and the girl was far too frightened and confused by the idea of being cared for for Eva to get her to comprehend it.

So, Eva watched her, and then slid down off the edge of the bed, instead choosing to kneel beside it so her gaze would be slightly more level with Kat's. She looked up at Kat. "I'm not trying to trick you," she stated, her voice soft and gentle. "What would I do that for? I want you to take a deep breath and really think about it for a minute. The first time someone ever hurt you, however far back it might have been, before all the other families you lived with, did you really believe you deserved it? Or were you just scared and confused about why they did it?"

"What would I gain from hurting you?" Eva questioned. "What would the end result be other than you being afraid of me? When you make mistakes or mess up, you're not supposed to get hit. You're supposed to learn from mistakes so you can avoid them next time. And people can learn without being hit. Think for a minute. If I were to get sick, or hurt, or--" She stopped. The analogy wouldn't work with her. She glanced around the room, her eyes stopping on Kat's wolf. "Imagine that your wolf is a real wolf. If he got hurt or sick or made a mistake, would you hit him for being bad? I know you wouldn't."

Without the pill in her system keeping her calm, Kathleen had no way of processing this new information. The very idea that Eva was suggesting to her didn't support what she had known all her life. It was foreign, strange and the ramifications of this new truth were truly terrifying to Kat. Feeling her breathing shift from calm to more unshaken. Trying to tell herself that this was all some big joke at her expense. That what she was hearing were just lies to put her off the edge so she never saw the attack. That what she had lived with was in a sense normal for her. Insisting that Eva was the liar here, not Kat. Climbing off the bed as she felt her world crumbling around her. Not wanting to admit that maybe Eva was right because of what horrible truths would be exposed. Her stress spiking and she felt trapped unable to breathe as Eva moved the plate away causing her to flinch again. Finding it much harder to read cues when she was worked up like this compared to being calm and level-headed.

She wanted to run again, but Eva was blocking her path and she didn't want to get into trouble again. Her body trembling a little as she started rocking herself to try and deal with this idea. Still saying 'no' over and over again like a strange chant as if it might somehow fix what was being told to her. Refusing to believe that she'd been lied to all those years ago. It just couldn't be true. Not after everything she'd been through. A part of her wanting to scream or lash out, but was too caught up in the rules that had been laid down in front of her time and again. The ones that said talking was bad. Cooking and chores were good. That medicine was too expensive for freaks like her. That she was only allowed one meal a day. Those were the rules she had lived by and had learned by heart just to survive. It was all she ever knew and in a way, Eva was taking that sense of comfort in the routine she had known. That sense of security and comfort that had gotten her from day to day all her life.

Probably the only reason she was still alive right now and it was all too painful for her. Trying to shut out Eva as she moved her hands to block out all other sounds. It was almost heartbreaking to see her reduced to this state. To see how far someone had gone to make her the perfect child. The one that was never loud, very proper, very obedient and never disrespected you. Leaving behind a mere image of a child who had grown up far too early. More tears sliding down her face unaware of anything right now, but a mess of words and memories. Flinching quite violently when Eva came to stand too and back herself into the corner once more. Throwing her hands up immediately just as the woman kneeled in front of her now. Whimpering a little as Eva insisted that she wasn't here to trick her. That soft and gentle voice that seemed to draw out that little voice tucked away all the time. Shaking her head several times until that only made her throbbing head more painful.

Sliding to the floor as she tried to block out the pain of her head as she was getting overwhelmed. Trying to keep her distance as Eva told her to take a deep breath. Telling her to think back to the very first home she was ever taken to. A night she could never forget as she remembered the storm so well. She'd already made her father pretty mad for wetting the bed a few times prior. But the storm had been pretty bad outside and it just seemed to happen. At first Kat seemed to really think about what Eva was saying until she didn't. Until it once more meant confronting that which she had gone through as she shook her head. Getting upset as she let her wrist bang against the floor unable to find any other relief shaking her head again.

"No....because that would....no....no you're lying...parents lie all the time....it can't be....no...no," she said again as more tears slid down her face as she fought with her internal self as she got herself into another panic attack once more. Flashes of her first father's angry face....her confusion as he struck her. Trying to block it all out. Because if Eva was right then her whole way of living had been for nothing.

Kathleen flinched as Eva knelt before her, and Eva moved back a bit. "I'm not gonna hurt you," Eva promised gently, her voice cracking just a bit as she watched the girl sink to the floor. She had seen this so many times. With Hugo, with Ronan, with Jupiter, with all the other teenagers who came in and out of the bar. She had lost count. And she still felt just as helpless and desperate now as she had all those other times before. Kat began to stutter. Eva reached up and handed her her wolf from where it sat on the bed.

"Because that would be wrong?" Eva finished for her. "You wouldn't hurt your wolf for an accident, so why on earth would I hurt you?" She watched, feeling helpless as she watched the child sink to the ground. Kat needed to realize that what she had been taught was wrong, and Eva felt completely useless to calming her. "Parents aren't supposed to lie to their kids." Spotting the sedative untouched on the beside table, she slowly got to her feet and took a few steps back. "I...I'll come back," she promised. At least, she hoped Kat saw it as a promise rather than a threat. Eva wasn't so sure Kat was processing anything right now.

Eva stepped out of the bedroom and ducked into the bathroom, returning after a moment with a small dixie cup of water. Eva took the pill from the table and knelt in front of Kat, trying her best to look the girl in the eye. "Kat..." she started gently. "Look at me. Could you take this for me, please?" She held out the pill. "It'll help you feel better. And then maybe you'll feel able to think about things."

Her senses were on overload as she sat there huddled against the corner of her wall with Eva kneeling nearby. Legs still drew up to her chest even as Eva tried to tell her that she meant no harm. Torn between the comforts of the lies she had been fed for years or accepting the cold hard truths that threw everything out the window. If she had been calmer she might have seen how sad Eva was for her, but she couldn't. Working herself up into not quite a fully-fledged panic attack although it was pretty close to one. Barely even acknowledging her wolf right now that was being offered to her in comfort. Her mind struggling with the implications of this revelation trying to insist that Eva was lying about this. Pressing further back against the wall wishing that it might swallow her whole altogether. She wanted to run, to get herself outside where she could breathe, but she couldn't. Not while Eva was blocking her path and even then she could be punished going outside again after last time.

Then again even if she could run, she wasn't sure she could very far with her head feeling like it was. Still throbbing just as painful as it had been this morning as was her back. Feeling completely overwhelmed now as she got upset trying to distance herself from what she was saying. Hearing Eva as she finished the thoughts that wouldn't come as more tears fell down her distressed face. Her words sounded more distant with all the noise of voices telling her she was bad...that she deserved this...that she needed to be taught this lesson. It couldn't....it just couldn't be a lie, could it? That Eva maybe just didn't know what she was talking about as she turned her body a little. Pressing more into her little corner as Kat tried with difficulty to ignore Eva's words. To deny that she was telling the truth about what a family really was. Perhaps if she had been calmer, she'd have noticed that despite her meltdown, Eva hadn't moved to hurt her. Hadn't jumped to shut her up with all this fuss she was making, but her anxiety clouded her ability to think.

Not really hearing her mother excusing herself to go and get her some water for the pill still untouched on her bedside table. Everything had been completely forgotten by Kat including her wolf in her current state of panic. Only to stiffen up when she felt a presence in front of her once more but a little closer. Her body shrinking against Eva's form despite her kneeling appearance now. Telling Kat to look at her which she did if only because it was a direct order. The ones that normally meant now or there would be consequences. Hesitantly looking up at the woman before noticing the pill in her hands and the water. Being asked to take her medicine insisting that it would help her feel better. Initially shaking her head not wanting to take anything, but it was the soft please that made her give pause. Eying it warily for several moments before slowly taking the pill and cup with great hesitation. Starring at the item in her fingers for several long minutes before doing as Eva had asked her to do.

Trying to steady her hands that were shaking quite badly to match the best of her body. Taking the pill and chasing it down with the water that she greedily drank from. Never really in a position to say no to water as she moved the small cup away from her. Already quieted down from her initial repetitive mantra of saying 'No' over and over again. Returning to her in a curled up position as the tears slid down her face looking over at the bedside table wall in front of her giving her the feeling of being in a small room as she still was shaking some. She had calmed down some once Eva got her attention asking her to take the pill. Trying to wipe angrily at the tears torn between upset and miserable as she seemed to wear herself out. Her breathing still rattled as they both waited for the sedative to work into her system.

Kat shook her head, refusing to take the pill at first. Eva didn't continue to beg her. She simply remained crouched in front of the girl, the pill in one hand and the small cup of water in the other. Eventually, Kat did take the pill, downing the water with the same fervor she had drank the juice with only a few minutes before. "Thank you," Eva said softly. She watched the girl silently for a few moments, her gaze full of worry.

She wanted to be there for Kat. The way Kennedy had been there for her when her father had thrown her from his house, the way her friends had been there to fill in the gaps. Sal teaching her all he knew about performing and being the closest thing to a decent father she had ever had. Cherie, the drag queen who had also learned under Sal and become a surrogate sister to Eva, despite their differing personalities. Cherie's drag children, who she cared for as if they were her own kin. Eva wanted nothing more than to supply Kat with a similar support, and all she could do was be there until Kat was ready to accept it.

"You," Eva murmured softly, sitting down and leaning back against the bed to sit a few feet from Kat, "Have more allies than you know. In this house, but also outside of it. I know you don't believe me, but we all care about you. And we have friends..." she trailed off, searching for a more appropriate word to describe the friends who frequented the bar, the ones who had filled in the holes left by the loss of her family. "Family, that would love you. You're a good person, Kathleen. I just wish you saw what I do. You're not all the awful things people have told you you are. You're good, and kind, and you were thoughtful enough to make breakfast, even if you should have been resting. We know you don't mean to get upset and have meltdowns, just like we know you didn't mean to run out in front of that car. You're scared and confused, and that doesn't make you bad."

The room was silent for several minutes as the two seemed to watch each other, one fearful and wary while the other was concerned and worried. Kat was still breathing heavy but she had settled considerably as the pill took over. Allowing her mind to clear from the fractured state it had been in during her meltdown. Watching Eva quietly for several long minutes as though accessing whether she was a threat or not. Looking down at her empty cup where the water had been from. A part of her wanting more, but she refrained from asking Eva about it right now. Hearing some noises outside making her flinch a little as she tried to calm down. Fidgeting a little where she sat pressed against the farthest corner of her room. Seeing the worried expression on Eva's face for the first time since she had become agitated. Her head was now and her knees were still up trying to comfort herself like she'd done so many times over the years. Her face stained red by her tears as she took a few minutes to just breathe.

Keeping an eye on Eva too from her peripheral vision as she stared into her lap. The occasional sniffle could be heard as the sedative brought her to a more stable feeling. Startled slightly by Eva's voice as she started then stopped talking for a few more minutes. Kat not looking at her, but she was definitely listening as she explained she had more allies than she knew now. Suspecting that she didn't really believe her right now, which was true. She didn't really trust them and still didn't know how to feel about Eva's admission. Hearing that everything she'd ever been told might have been some kind of messed up lie. It bothered her greatly, but she still listened to what Eva was saying to her anyways. That she friends now and family that would do anything for her if she asked. That she wasn't anything like her families might have told her. Telling her things that were so foreign to Kathleen's ears as she pondered what she was hearing. Those same lines of being good and kind, considerate, things that had never been thrown her way before.

Picking at some fluff on her pant legs absently as she wasn't sure she was any of those things. She only made breakfast because she didn't want to get into trouble. It was what she had learned to do to survive some homes who made damn sure she knew this wasn't a free ride. Insisting that so long as she was under their roof, she'd be earning her keep. Swallowing thickly as she wiped at a tear somewhat angrily. Not sure what there was to say to all that as it was a lot to digest. Eva then told her that just because she had meltdowns or got upset didn't mean she was bad. Not even when she went outside and got hit by that car. They were just reactions to fear and confusion which Eva seemed to think was okay. Something she knew would most certainly not have been anywhere else as she rested her head tiredly against her knees.

"But how will I earn my keep? S'ppose to make breakfast. Don't want to be a burden," murmured Kat.

The sedative slowly made it's way through Kat's system, and the girl slowly seemed to calm, though she now seemed worn out and exhausted. She still appeared skeptical of what Eva was telling her, but at least now she was calm enough to process it. After a few moments of silence, Kathleen spoke again, her voice so quiet Eva almost didn't hear her. Asking how she was going to earn her keep without being expected to do anything.

"You dont," Eva answered. "That's not what families are. You don't get kicked out for not meeting someone's standards." Her gaze darkened for a moment as she thought of her father, but softened again almost immediately. "You're a part of this family and you belong here. You always will, no matter what you do. There is no 'earning it.' I might ask you for help sometimes, but even if you refused to help me, I'd be mildly annoyed at the most. And sometimes we fight. You know what happens after that? We're mad for a little bit, and then we say sorry and make up. That doesn't make any of the people in this house less a part of my family. It doesn't mean we don't love each other. It means we're people with normal emotions and sometimes we get stressed and argue."

"And you're not a burden, either." Eva told her, looking directly at the girl as she spoke. "You wanna know how the other three got here?" she questioned. "They're here because they needed us. You know how many other little drag queens were following me around that bar trying to get my attention? A lot of them. They wanted mine and Kennedy's attention, but did they need it? No, not really. They wanted me to teach them to sew, or how to dance, but none of them needed me emotionally. The kids we have now are the ones that needed us. The kids that we picked were our kids. With all their troubles, with all their needs, those kids were ours. And that goes for you too."

Kat turned her head to look at Eva when she explained that she didn't 'earn her keep'. A frown crossing her face as she explained that it wasn't like that here. That you didn't just get kicked out because of someone's standards...whatever that meant. Seeing her gaze darken making Kat flinch a little thinking that she had maybe done something wrong. Only for Eva to soften up once more relieving Kat a little though she was still wary even as her medication made her muscles loosened up. Getting her to relax a little even if it was under the effects of the sedative. Noticing how sore her muscles were from the small change to her posture. Pulled from her thoughts when Eva started talking again to her forcing her to return to the present. Telling her she was part of this family making her tilt her head after a moment or so? Was that true? Had she really found her forever home? Casting her eyes around the room that she had called home the last few days.

She hadn't really stayed very long, but it was certainly the nicest that she had been in thus far. She hadn't been beaten so far and her mothers were both really nice if different. Really it wouldn't be the worse idea of staying here as she watched her several minutes. Just as Eva said that she would always be a part of this family. Making it all seem far more formal than she had initially thought it might be. She didn't know what to feel about that, not helped by the throbbing of her head that had been steadily bothering her. Refraining from making comment about it though as she didn't want to appear to be a baby. Just like she hadn't mentioned that her back was bothering her. That never went well for her and she knew medicine stuff was really expensive. Shaking the thoughts from her mind as she tried to focus on what Eva was saying. That she didn't have to earn her keep, but that Eva might ask for help from time to time. So chores basically...she could do that...she was really good at that.

Everyone always said how nice the house looked when she came to live with them and did the chores. It really wasn't something that Kat minded and it often meant rewards of food and water depending on who you talked to. That was something that felt normal to her, though if Eva knew what she considered 'help' she'd probably see they had different definitions of it. She winced when Eva said they might get into fights but that it was natural for families to do so. Not sure she liked the idea of these 'fights'. They sounded worse than punishment. Even if Eva explained that they would be mad and then they make up. Still feeling pretty skeptical about that, not sure how she felt. She didn't like it when her parents were mad. Telling herself that she would do everything she could not to get into these 'fights'. Not quite hearing much more after her saying they would be mad and then make it up later. Refocusing her thoughts when Eva expressed her belief that Kat wasn't a burden.

Eva looking at her directly when she said that making her slightly uncomfortable. Shifting a little uneasily as she proceeded to talk about the other siblings in the house. How they had been taken in because they had been needed but not all of them got taken in. Not sure what drag queens were but she definitely knew what a bar was. Swallowing uneasily as she tried to ignore the thoughts that started creeping in on her. Wiping at a tear sliding down her face as she leaned against her legs now. Finding this all over overwhelming to her right as she took a moment to closer her eyes.

"You...you mean I don't have to go back to the foster system?"

Kat seemed a bit confused when Eva spoke. Had she genuinely thought they were going to throw her back into foster care this whole time? Probably. Eva was sure she was used to being tossed from home to home. There was no reason for her to believe that their home would be any different, no matter how kind they were being to her. Eva desperately wanted her to understand that there would be no sending her back this time. No throwing her away as though she were a broken toy. She was a person, who deserved to be happy and treated with love and care despite her past traumas.

Hugo and Ronan had reacted similarly to them at first. They had been used to being tossed around, being hurt boy the people who were supposed to take care of them. So of course, they had been hesitant to accept the fact that someone might actually care for once. That it wasn't all just an act, put on so they could appear as doting parents in front of others. That it wasn't all just some kind of sick joke.

"Of course not!" Eva told her. "We've been trying to tell you that this whole time. You never have to go back into foster care again. I mean, unless you want to. But for some reason I doubt that." She offered a small, encouraging smile to the girl. "You're a member of the family now. We aren't going to send you away. We want you to stay here, but ultimately, that's your decision. What do you say?" She looked questioningly to Kat again as she spoke, waiting for a response.

Kat was quiet aside from the odd shift of her body or her fingers picking stuff off her sweat pants. Something loose and baggy that wouldn't irritate her back quite so badly. Looking over at Eva as she told her that she was not going back there. That she didn't have to ever go back there again which surprised Kat, but then just about everything surprised the young girl. She wasn't used to having freshly cooked meals or a warm soft bed to sleep in. The only one she might have connected with at one point was her social worker Andrew. Except, he had to go away after she all but begged him to adopt her, making her blame herself there too. In truth, he just wanted Kat to attach herself to a family rather than the first kind person to show her anything but a good lashing. Not to mention, his family had needed him so he had her case given over to another worker. The one that had brought her here now as she continued to sit there on the floor of her bedroom.

Her body once more exhausted by the anxiety that she had brought upon herself. Not to mention the medications at even a low dose, had a much great impact on her malnourished form. Already feeling the drowsiness kicking in as she thought about what Eva was saying. She was really home? Eva now told her that she could go back if she wanted, but that somehow probably wasn't what she wanted. Shaking her head in agreement about not wanting to go back into the foster system. That ultimately it was Kat's decision, but that they had no intention of sending her away. They wanted her to stay as she asked her a question seemingly expecting some kind of response from her. Kat not really sure what to say as she still found this all very confusing and frightening. Nothing like the last few homes and she'd been in a lot despite how young she was. Worrying her bottom lip which was becoming a habit of hers as she fidgeted a little in the corner. Did she really want to stay with these people? They certainly seemed nicer than any home she'd had before.

Although it was still early and they couldn't probably change their mind again. Giving a small shrug as she didn't know how she felt about it all. It all felt too much... too many new rules to follow...too many faces to become accepting of. It was a lot although by Kat's standards she had done well over the last two days even if there had been a scare with the car. Looking down at her forgotten wolfie that she now picked up to hold onto. Always preferring having him close or in her arms to use as something to fidget with. His ear still half-torn off as she played with his fur a little. Making little patterns into his fur as she felt a small yawn escape her lips. Pausing to rub her tired tear-stained face despite only being up for a few hours. Then again, doing the breakfast had tired her out a good deal with her head like it was feeling. It was still bothering her, but she said nothing to Eva about it. Just another rule that Kat had been forced to deal with and many more than Eva wasn't aware of.

Chancing a glance over at her warm soft inviting bed thinking it might be nice to crawl back into it. Except, she didn't know if that was permitted here. Certainly, she would have never had an opportunity any other time. Normally too busy with chores to keep her in line and out of sight. One family had even locked her in the basement when company came over. Shivering a little trying to push the memory away for the time being. There was no need to be thinking about that right now. Some of her long hair falling in front of her face as she rubbed at her eyes again.

Kat only shrugged in response to her question. Eva wasn’t surprised. Kat hadn’t known them all that long. Not long enough to know if she really wanted to say. Eva smiled, unbothered by the silence. “I’ll let you think on it, hm?” she suggested. “And you can let me or Kennedy know whenever you feel ready. But, in the meantime, you have a place here for as long as you might want it—whether it’s forever or not.” She watched the child fidget with her wolf for a few seconds, and then caught sight of Kat’s eyelids beginning to droop.

Kat was probably exhausted. And who could really blame her? She was still recovering from being hit by a car, had just had a huge panic attack, and had just taken a sedative that was probably overpowering her tiny frame. It wasn’t that surprising. Eva pulled herself to her feet, having seen Kat’s gaze trail over to the bed. “Tired?” Eva asked her. “You can go back to sleep if you need to. It’s probably best, to be completely honest. You’re still recovering. It’ll help you feel better quicker.”

Eva reached out to give the girl’s cheek a gentle caress. “Get some rest,” she advised. She reached out to take the plate from where it sat. “I’ll put this in the fridge in case you want to eat it later. If not, I’m sure somebody else will eat it.” She turned and headed for the door. “I’ll be downstairs.”

If she was disappointed by her answer, Kat didn't notice as she let her fingers run over her wolf's soft fur. Either training her gaze on her wolf or the bedside table in front of her. Never quite looking at Eva, but she was still listening intently to every word that she spoke. Not seeing the smile on Eva's face as she suggested it was something to think about. That she could think about it as long or as short a time as she needed before deciding. Surprised that Eva would give her such an option at all. She'd never had much of a say in her own life from the moment she was two years old. Ever since then it was always told to her from home to home and there was no room for compromise. Nodding her head again as Eva told her that she could stay here as long as she wanted regardless of her decision. A part of her wondering if she would really let her go if she asked it of them. Not that she wanted to, but just to see if they would actually go through with it. Put their words into actions as she played with her wolf a little.

Occasionally letting her eyes drift to the bed, but not making any comment about being tired or anything. That wasn't up to her normally and certainly, her condition had no weight on what they made her do. Unless it was outdoor work where the other neighbors might question bruising or her thinning frame. So they cared a little but only because it might upset the other people. Or worse she'd get taken away by the social workers again and while it was in her best interest, it was never easy for Kat. Being shipped from home to home and expected to learn new rules and expectations. At times, even considering running away altogether because she was tired of being moved around. All, she had wanted was a nice home and even that felt like too much to ask for. Flinching back a little when Eva slowly stood back to her feet making Kat become slightly uneasy. Looking up worriedly expecting to be hit but Eva didn't move in her direction. Only asking her if she was tired, hesitantly nodding her head keeping her gaze low to the ground.

Not really questioning Eva's sudden 'generosity' as she told Kat she could go back to sleep if she wanted. Slowly and stiffly moving to get back into her bed, stumbling a bit as her head was still bothering her. Not to mention her limbs were quite sore from constantly being under stress. Finding the bed soon enough as she crawled up onto it once more. Not bothering to cover up the yawn since the sedative was keeping her calm. Hearing Eva as she told her that it was alright to feel that way after everything and was probably for the better. Looking to the half-touched plate of food that was long since cold by now. Almost feeling bad she hadn't had more, but she wasn't sure she wanted to eat either right now. Closing her eyes shut as she braced against Eva's hand moving towards her face now. Expecting that all too familiar sting of a backhand only to feel a gentle touch to her cheek instead. Slowly opening her eyes to look at Eva as she heard her say to get some rest now.

Watching her take up the plate as her eyes looked on with a bit of sadness at the loss of her plate. Thinking she should have tried to hide it away or something not knowing if she'd get fed again. Though part of her thought that was just as fair since she'd had a melt done and did bad stuff. Not really hearing Eva say that she was going to put it away for later if she wanted it. Watching Eva turn to leave the room with her plate as she chewed her bottom lip hesitantly. Blaming the drugs for the words that came out of her mouth as she looked over at Eva.

"Nobody....nobodies going to come into my room when I'm sleeping...errr...right?"

Seeing the sad look on Kat’s face when she picked up the plate, Eva frowned. “You can get it out of the fridge whenever you want,” she promised. “It’ll go bad if it sits out all day long. And nobody will come in while you’re sleeping. I’ll shut the door behind me so everybody knows to leave you be and let you get your rest.” She gave the child a reassuring smile as she drifted out the door and shut it behind her. She stopped just outside of it, pondering the question Kat had asked her, wondering if something deeper was behind it.

Had people often gone into Kat’s room when she was asleep? For what? Eva had a bad feeling that she already knew, remembering what the doctor had mentioned the previous day, but she didn’t turn around to pry about it. It felt wrong to, unless Kat wanted to tell her about it. And that decision was hers and hers alone. Once she trusted them, she might say something. Suppressing a sigh, Eva headed down the staircase once more to join her family.

She found that the table was mostly empty, Kennedy at the sink scrubbing at the dishes. Eva shuffled up behind her, gently grasping her wife by the shoulder and moving her aside. “Here,” Eva said gently. “Let me take care of it.”

Kat hadn't realized her sadness had been noticed by Eva when her plate was taken from her. Fidgeting a little in the bed as she really was quite tired right now after all was said and done. Eva gently promising her that her plate would still be there should she want it later. That it would go bad staying up here otherwise as she said nothing about it. It was what it was and Kat would simply have to live with it for now. Wishing she had eaten more from her plate now so she wouldn't be so hungry later. Although this was certainly more than she'd ever gotten in a long time. She wasn't used to getting regular food except maybe at the foster agency. Even then they had a hard time convincing her to eat more than one meal. They were busy with many foster kids that needed their attention and at times Kat simply fell through the cracks of the system. Simple as that.

Looking to Eva shyly though when she asked whether people could just come and go as they pleased. Something she'd hadn't been able to ask the last two nights...mainly from wearing herself to the point of exhaustion or drug influence. This was one of those rare moments she was still awake enough to ask it. Recalling Hugo had come into her room unannounced when she first came here even if she had been awake. At least, she could protect herself, but while she slept was a whole other thing entirely. Fighting back the sleep just a little longer as she waited for Eva to say something. Her body giving a big sigh of relief when Eva mentioned that nobody would come into her room while she slept. That she would personally shut the door herself to make sure that nobody bothered her. Seeing the reassuring face of her mother as she seemed apprehensive about it. Almost wondering if she could get Kennedy back just in case.

Not sure, she could stay awake long enough to struggle through her request or simply wait for her. Having to reluctantly put her trust in Eva that her words would hold and nobody would come in. Nodding stiffly as Eva tried to encourage her to sleep as she got in under the covers. Almost wanting to test the boundaries by asking if she could get tucked in. Refraining from the desire as she didn't know how well it would be received. A voice promptly reminded her that she was twelve almost thirteen and she shouldn't be asking such babyish things. Hearing the door gently closed with a click behind Eva now as she stared at the door for a moment or two. Then she slowly got herself under the covers once more to get some sleep. Pulling the blankets back over herself as she hugged tightly to wolfie before attempting some sleep. She was out in a few short minutes sleeping away as peacefully as she had ever been.

(for the dress just imagine this but lighter)

Eva wound up settling herself in the now quiet living room, having dragged the dress form containing her most recent project up the stairs. A pale turquoise dress, the fabric flowy and light. She had spent days making it, cutting the pieces of fabric and painstakingly stitching them together. And now she knelt in front of it, meticulously placing rhinestones along the edges, having been doing so for so long that her fingers had begun to ache. The television droned on in front of her, but she had long stopped paying attention to it. Hugo, Ronan, and Jupiter had all sprawled out on the couch just behind her.

"How does nobody think those things are evil?" Ronan spoke, their brow furrowing as they watched the TV. "You're telling me nobody ever once looked at them, or listened to them say literally anything, and went 'I have a bad feeling about those guys.' Like if I was just chilling out somewhere one day, and I saw a Skeksis walking down the street, I would immediately think, 'Oh damn, that's a demon.'"
Jupiter snorted. "I mean, I would probably just think it was a person in a costume. Or a puppet, since they are technically puppets. I'm not gonna say someone's evil, just because I don't understand costumes...or puppets."
"I'm pretty sure there are movies about evil puppets, though," Hugo said.

Eva glanced up, only having been half listening to their chatter. "Hm?"
"The Skeksis from The Dark Crystal," Ronan told her. "We're watching the prequel series. Like who looks at them and goes, 'Eh, I dont know they're probably cool guys.' Like even their castle looks evil."
Kennedy strode up behind them and leaned up against the back of the couch. "I mean, Ace looks kinda nice but he still bites everyone but Hugo." The rat poked his nose out of Hugo's shirt, where he had dozed off some time ago. Jupiter chuckled quietly in response. Hugo gave the rat a scratch on the head as the creature slowly receded back into its hiding place.

"Dinner's almost ready," Kennedy told them. "I figured tacos would be easy to manage." Hugo opened his mouth to speak, but Kennedy stopped him. "And yes, I did make beef and chicken, your highness." Her tone was teasing, and she reached out to tousle Hugo's hair as she spoke.

Eva leaned back against the couch for a moment, giving an exhausted sigh as she flexed her now sore fingers. "I'll let Kat know," she said, pulling herself to her feet and starting up the staircase. She gently rapped on Kat's still closed door, not wanting to startle her out of her rest. "Kat?" she called. "Dinner's ready. "Did you want to eat downstairs or in here?"

By the time Eva was coming upstairs to check on her, Kat was already awake though still groggy from the meds. She had been debating for some time as to whether or not she should go downstairs. She had thought about just asking, but every time she moved to the door, she thought better about it. As it was, she was currently just sitting on her bed attempting to read her old copy of Charlotte's web. Feeling a bit strange having this free time to herself as she kept a close watch on both her wolf and bear. Flipping through the next page of her book as she heard the first of footsteps upon the stairs. Looking up nervously as the footsteps made their way towards her door before stopping. Looking at the shadows under her door as she wondered if she might be in trouble for sleeping so long. It was probably close to 5 at this point as she chewed her bottom lip uneasily. Setting her book down as she pulled her Mr. Midnight closer to her chest like he might protect her somehow.

Hearing the familiar sound of her door being knocked on as she looked at it expecting it to open without permission. It didn't thankfully as she heard Eva's soft gentle voice call out from behind the door. Opening her mouth in awe as Eva told her dinner was ready and that she could either eat with them or upstairs. Surprised that she was allowed to have another meal even though she didn't finish the other. She was hungry and she did consider coming to get her meal, feeling bad making someone bring it up. Hesitantly moving to slide off her bed, her head not throbbing so badly after getting some rest. Still hurt, however, as did her back after the thorough cleaning the doctor had done. She knew she couldn't avoid having it cleaned forever, but she really disliked being touched. 'You let Eva touch you,' came a voice in her mind as she tried not to think about it. Knowing Eva was probably waiting for some kind of answer from her. She felt bad she wasn't engaging with the family, but this was too much too soon.

It was hard enough getting used to Kennedy and Eva being around her and in all honesty, her siblings scared her. Granted, she'd never really had decent siblings before but even then they were still unnerving. Eva suggested they may all have something in common, but she didn't see it. Except maybe Hugo, but then he had scared her making her rethink that. Was it wrong to just stay up here a little longer? She knew her back was bothering her too even if Kat was never one to complain about pain. It never did her any good far as she knew and that just made them punish her harder. Shifting uneasily as she slowly made her way to the door to open it. Looking to the floor subserviently as she tried to get the words to come out. Fidgeting a little with her shirt hoping she wouldn't get punished for it.

"Can...can...canIstayhere?" she asked once more going for the quick and easy approach. Ducking her head a little to avoid an incoming threat despite Eva never making a move to punish her before. Truthfully, it was a mixed bag with Kat right now on how she was feeling. Apart of her wanted to feel like a family, but she was still too nervous drugs or not for that. She wouldn't go far as to say she trusted Eva or Kennedy, but she certainly rathered them than the others right now. Finding the others a little fast and energetic for her tastes right now. Not to mention her back was sore and thought sitting in a chair might make it worse.

Eva nodded, knowing Kat couldn't see her. "Of course you can," she agreed. "I'll go get you some food." She turned and headed back down the stairs and into the kitchen, taking the plate and utensils from Kat's previously set place at the table and started putting together a few tacos, some soft, some hard shelled. She tried to keep the richer toppings minimal, remembering what the doctor had told her about giving Kat lighter meals, while still trying to keep them a decent size. She went to the fridge for a moment, thinking about giving Kat another glass of orange juice, but she wasn't exactly sure how well it would go with this meal. And perhaps Kat would enjoy trying something different.

She stared into the fridge for a minute or two, eventually settling on a glass of fruit punch. If Kat was as fond of orange juice as she seemed, perhaps she would like this as well. She returned to the plate, and was just about to pick it up and take it back to Kat, when Ronan stood up from his place.

"Wait."

Eva turned to look at him, surprised as the boy spoke up. "I-I'll take it to her," Ronan stammered. He reached out to take the plate from her, a small smile on his face, before starting up the stairs. He lingered in front of Kat's closed door, shuffling from foot to foot for a few seconds before finally reaching out to knock. "Hey," he called quietly. "I brought you your dinner. I don't have to stay, though. Unless you want me to."

There was a few minutes pause before Eva agreed to her askance of eating up in her room once more. Still, kind of surprised that she was getting another meal hoping she could keep this one down too. She hadn't really been used to such frequent meals..sometimes not even having that much as she moved back towards her bed again. Yet, she didn't want to seem spoiled or ungrateful if she decided to deny the meal altogether. Telling herself to try and take it slowly although it always seemed so difficult when each one could be her last. Listening to Eva slowly made her way back downstairs once more leaving Kat alone. Looking around her room that while a little plain was still more than she could hope for. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad to stay here permanently, but she had little reason to think this was possible. Or that this 'niceness' would be a permanent thing wondering if it was just temporary too. Eva insisted that it wasn't a trick and they really did want her here. Yet, she always found actions to be a lot stronger than words ever could.

Too many adults had made empty promises or told her lies to get her to behave or do something. Actions were a little harder to do that with as she again found herself wondering if she should check on her back. Maybe she could patch herself up without getting either of them involved. Although even with a mirror she had a feeling it would be difficult but she wasn't sure she wanted to be touched either. Maybe she could make them promise not to touch her hands but she didn't feel like pressing anybody's luck. Nor did she feel very close to either of the woman though maybe Kennedy slightly more. Not that she didn't like Eva too, but it was hard to explain. Maybe seeing her scar or hearing about how she used to get punished made her feel closer to her. Unaware of the discussion going on downstairs as she sat on her bed. Turning her head immediately when she heard footsteps on the stairs coming up. Liking to think that her sense of hearing a lot stronger than the average kid. She liked to think that it was as it certainly was quite valuable.

It kept her from sudden ambush attacks and knowing when her father might not be in the mood to see her. Thinking about what Eva had said earlier about going back to that first home when she was 5. Asking herself how she had felt about that night she wet the bed again. How scared and confused she had been the first sting of many to be felt like her. If only she had known what she did now...maybe she could have been a better daughter. Maybe her mother might still be alive even if Andrew hadn't thought so. Looking to the door noticing the shadows of feet behind it though it didn't seem quite so certain as Eva or Kennedy. It seemed more hesitant and unsure making her a little uneasy although if the drug wasn't in place she was sure she'd feel a lot differently. Almost feeling hurt when Ronan started speaking insisting that he was bringing her up dinner tonight. Making her wonder if she had said or done something wrong to upset Eva. She'd said they would bring up dinner so why hadn't she?

Starting to fidget a little unable to get into a panic attack as she shifted uneasily. Feeling a sense of sadness wash across her face thinking she'd been bad. Why else had Eva not come back up to sit with her or even Miss Kennedy? Not one to show her disappointment, she was quick to hide it as she walked over to the closed front door. Glad that he couldn't see her as she slowly opened the door now. Looking at the plate and juice that he held in his hands now for her. Her eyes becoming a little wider as she looked at the red color glass that held the fruit punch. Her breath hitching ever so slightly as she tried to take her focus away from it. Noting it looked like blood as she quickly shied away from the glass, a shiver running through her now. Taking the plate as he seemed to want to spend time with her, but she wasn't sure. Siblings were a lot less predictable than adults as she went for the shrugged approach. Moving away from Ronan and the glass feeling queasy at the sight of the red-colored liquid.

Studying the stuff in front of her not sure what to make of this meal as she'd never dealt with finger food much. Poking at the taco shells a bit as she hesitantly nibbled on some hamburger meat seeing that tasted good. Yet, she felt sort of stupid like she should know what it was she was doing with it. That she should know how to do a lot more things like any kid. Unfortunately, all she knew was how to be a near-perfect daughter and good slave. Feeling a little at a loss not sure what to make of it all deciding to just nibble on the meat for now.

Seeing Kat's expression at the sight of the punch, Ronan set it down and instead handed her the food. "It's fruit punch," he told her. "But you don't have to drink it if you don't want to. But Eva mentioned that you liked the orange juice, so I guess she thought you might like this too. It's really good once you get past the color." He hadn't realized that it might upset her, and evidently Eva hadn't either.

Kat only shrugged when he offered to stay, so Ronan sat down on the floor a couple of feet away from her with his own plate of food. Was she disappointed Eva hadn't come back? Or Kennedy? After all, she knew them far better than she knew him. "I can get Eva or Kennedy instead," the boy offered her. "I just kind of wanted to come sit with you. I know you don't know me very well...or at all, but I'd like it if we could be friends. If you want to, that is."

The boy picked up one of his tacos and took a bite of it. Noticing Kat nibbling on the meat, he was quiet for a moment before speaking. "Tacos are kind of messy," told her. Some of the filling spilled out from the one he had started eating. "And...sometimes that happens." He took his fork and set to work picking up the stray bits of filling and trying to stuff them back into the broken shell, which failed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back