• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Fading Flame (In Character)

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Leafa

"Thanks big man... uh, my name is Leafa..." Her cheeks turned a slight pink, even if they had just met, Leafa felt a slight embarrassment at the kind words of the "giant lady" and the "big man". But her embarrassment quickly transformed into a wholesome laughter as the female giant offered her a, in comparison, gigantic piece of jerky she struggled to even hold. "Hehe... you're silly! I can't carry something so big with me! Here, I'll take a little bit, and you can take the rest!" She took a small piece of the meat, and divided it into three smaller pieces, one for her, one for Pip and one for Tooth!

Suddenly, the environment around camp got more agitated... after eavesdropping a conversation or two, she learned that new people had arrived at camp. Immediately, Leafa got excited to meet them, and she was about to get up from her seat and join them... but she stopped at the sound of Ayemaline's words. "A-attacked? Not again... I really hope my hurt hurt stays away this time..." She looked at Ayemaline and Bron with big doe eyes. "You two will protect me, right? ... Uh, not that I need it! Actually, you two can go! I can take care of myself!"

Epiphany Epiphany SilverFlight SilverFlight

Jazmin and Kaelynn

Jazmin shakes her head. "i mean, i am a healer...not a very...good one but a healer none the less." Jazmin said as she then noticed the ears on top of Kaelynn's head and her eyes went wide.
"wait....what...what kind of ears are those!?!?" Jazmin said in absolutely awe, she had never seen anyone other than humans in her entire life.

Kaelynn had laughed at her remark, glancing up at her ears. “These? There are perfectly normal. I'm an Incruscan.” She said to her, still smiling. “I'm a bit of a healer myself, but not… traditionally.” She admitted. “You'd probably be better than I am.” She said with a laugh.

Jazmin just keeps looking at her ears in awe. “I...i've never even heard of Incruscans before, do all of you have animal ears?” Jazmin asked and then blushed a bit when Kaelynn said she would probably be a better healer than her. “I...i don’t know. My spells...aren't the best in the world, but im...trying my best.

Kaelynn was actually pretty happy that she wasn't afraid of distrustful of her. “It depends on what animal we stem from, but a good few do.” She told her, not catching her blush. “Your healing doesn't hurt you back.” She said light-heartedly.

Jazmin’s eyes went wider. “There are different animal versions? Do any of you have tails or any other form of animals?” Jazmin said is extreme interest. One of the big things about Jazmin is that she just loves animals. “Also...yea...my spells have...a habit to hurt me also when they aren't casted right.” Jazmin said, looking a bit embarrassed to say it.

Not many people take interest in my kind. Some of us do. It's like rolling dice, you get what you get.” She told her. “And, well… with me… the pain I feel means it's working.” She said quietly.

Jazmin nodded. “So you have no clue what you will become?” Jazmin asked curiously. “I don’t know how i would feel if it was random chance what i would become.

Well it's obviously affected by parentage. I wont become an Incruscan crocodile with two Incruscan cat parents. Now ears, a tail, my senses, are up to chance.” She said to her. “Make sense?

Jazmin took a moment to process it and then nodded. “Yea, i think so.

It's much like human birth, to be fair. We aren't that different.” She said to her. “So you are from Sarm.. Sar… Sarmenia?” She asked, pronounced men.

Jazmin shrugs. “All i know is what was behind the Cleric Cathedral walls...i'm not sure about much of anything else.” Jazmin said embarrassingly.

Sheltered life I see… it explains why I'm so novel to you… must have been nice.” She said softly. “Not dealing with the bullcrap of the world for a long while.

Jazmin nods. “The clerics have always been sheltered, as far as i've known anyways.” Jazmin said. “This is gonna be an odd request...but...may i touch your ears?

She furrowed her brow, the request surely was odd. “Uhm…” she didn't really know how to respond to it. “Yes?” She said, sounding confused. “Yes.” She then said, allowing her to do so.

Jazmin slowly reaches her hand out and, hesitantly, touches one of her ears. She was shocked still to the fact that they were actually real ears. They felt just as soft as an animal’s ears. “This...this is so weird.

Kaelynn hadn't known what to expect, to be fair. It had never happened until just now. But the feeling was oddly nice, relaxing. “Yeah…”she echoed, unconsciously leaning into her hand.

Jazmin stops a moment. “Umm...im not putting you to sleep am i?” Jazmin asked, noticing the pressure building into her hand

Her now wide eyes looked at her, aware of what she was doing. “N-no, it just felt nice…” she said, now embarrassed. She pulled away from Jaz's hand. “I got carried away I guess…

Jazmin giggles a bit. “You have that part of a animal’s instinct too. Its cute.” Jazmin said before looking around. “So um...do you know by chance whom we report to?

Kaelynn smiled, her face now red. “Believe the guys name is Jericho. But hell if I know who he is, they found me in the woods.” Doing what, she wouldn't say. It'd raise to many questions.

Oh. makes sense i guess.” Jazmin said as she stood up and dusted her dress off. “Shall we go find him together then? Im...im kinda...shy around new people.

She rises as well, not caring as much for the dirt on her pants. “Sure. I'll be following you.” She said, beckoning for her to lead the way.

Jazmin nods. “O-ok. ill try to lead us in the right direction.” Jazmin said smiling as she turns around and starts to walk towards the guards barracks

LoneSniper87 LoneSniper87

Teoippe
Although Teo had realized that she was in fact entirely new to this group, she immediately felt a bright sense of comradery with the man before her. His somewhat stuttered attempt at her own name sent peals of musical laughter from her mind, not restricted to just Jericho. She was well aware of her own oddities, not to mention the fact that her own utterings could only be heard in another’s mind. “You are free to call me Teo. And to answer your other questions, I have not seen my group fight or work under very strenuous conditions, but I assure you that we are the best around. I trust many of them with my life.“ Her words were sincere, and she gave Jericho a half smile before dipping her head. “As for me, you must wait and discover for yourself. What’s the fun in giving everybody a show before we even depart?

Teo glanced over her shoulder as a man from her own caravan approached. Gil, was it? He was known as quite the enchanter, and though Teo had wanted to speak to him before, her own shyness had hindered her. After he spoke, she finished what she was going to say. “Excuse me, sir, but I must gather my equipment before it is too late,“ she said, giving him another wry smile. Teo swiveled on her heels (or toes?) and swept to her wagon to gather the sack of her various items.

With her equipment fully strapped on and prepared, Teo had nothing much to do. She padded over to a small gathering of her companions. She trotted over, tugging at the neck of her cloak as her cheeks flushed. She wasn’t usually this nervous, but a group this size was enough to put her off. She noticed the form of Gil yet again, also accompanied by Vik, the ex-slave-orc-guy who had come along.

Hello, everybody,“ she greeted them, extending her telepathic link to each person in the circle. She stayed closer to Gil, his larger form a bit strengthening as she felt somewhat left out. Teo glanced down, fiddling with the straps of her forearm armor, and realised that she felt quite like a child, eager to make friends but perhaps trying much too hard.

Kabboom Kabboom Trappy Trappy PsychoticOne PsychoticOne Pilgrim59 Pilgrim59 Midrick Midrick

Bron didn't hide his smile watching the young elf girl with the huge (by comparison) morsel. He looked back at Aymeline with a mock-scrutinizing expression. "For my kind, you'd just need a pair of horns." He made sure to say this quietly so as not to be overheard by any who might judge him. There weren't many allies of humans that had horns as a general rule.
He took in the giantess' words about the darkborne. He had so many questions about their origins, what they were set upon the world to accomplish. In the end though, did it really matter? They were destructive, they were a plague, and they caused pain.
Then the call rose up: Imperials. Bron felt the elation that spread from the other men and laughed when Aymeline vaulted the battlements like a garden fence.
"What, and have you make me look bad?" Bron started forward too and as soon as he could reach the supplies, began hauling his fair share of them to help the newcomers settle.
He noted that many of the new recruits were reporting to the man called Jericho and logged the information away for later.
Epiphany Epiphany

Not long after he had set down the supplies he was carried, he noticed a thick-set figure in a worn tricorn looking lost. Bron approached and tapped him on the shoulder firmly.
"Most of you seem to be reporting to that man up there." Bron pointed to Jericho who was engaged in conversation with a woman not far from where they were standing.
He noted the strong hunting bow slung across his back and nodded his approval.
"Good weapon." He said shortly. Someone called out to the half-orc and Bron turned to nod at the one who had called. "My new friends and I are over there by that fire if you get tired of them." He shot teasingly.
He tilted his head in the direction Aymeline had gone.
PsychoticOne PsychoticOne Trappy Trappy

Bron followed on Aymeline's heels back to the fire and flopped back down onto the bench, reveling in the fire's warmth on his skin.
"Mmm." He answered passively, his eyes closed in blissful enjoyment. "Hopefully abilities that kill darkborne."
When he heard the worry in Leafa's voice he opened one eye to look at her.
"Of course you don't need it." Bron said with a smile. "But regardless, you're not going to get hurt while I'm still standing, and to make sure..."
Bron reached behind the bench again and rummaged through his bag. What he drew out was small, and blue and glinted in the firelight. It was round and made of glazed clay, with a small spout and several holes in the body of it. Bron held out the little ocarina to his new elf friend.
"You blow on that if you think you might be in trouble. I'll come find you."
-robert- -robert- Epiphany Epiphany

maxresdefault.jpg

Name: Vik Gonkor
Race: Half-Orc
Height: 5'9
Weight: 178 lbs

Current Status: Healthy
Gear: Light armor, backpack, bow, shortsword, arrows, poison vials
Current Physical Abilities: Archery, one-handed combat, brawling
Current Magical Abilities: None

Thank the Gods that Vik got invited to hang out with a few of the other members. He really didn't want to take another nap. Chances are he wouldn't be able to sleep either way. He approached the man that hollered for him. He seems to be around Vik's height, except a little shorter. The man had a bit of steel for protection as well, but looked to be light in armor overall. ( Trappy Trappy )

"The name's Vik" the half-orc introduced himself. He'd then extend his hand to shake it with the man.

Suddenly, some voice in his head had startled Vik. He frantically looked around until he noticed the woman near the man that called him over. She didn't smell human, but it's definitely a new race to the ex-slave. There's just so much about the real world he doesn't know about yet. Vik didn't think it was her at first, but after looking around and seeing nobody else looking at the two, he made the assumption it was. "Was that... magic?" he asked about the telepathic ability. ( hostage hostage )

It wasn't long at all until a third figure joined the party. Vik was beginning to think that more people were social than he thought. The man was very bulky. Bulkier than Vik. The half-orc is pretty small compared to most orcs, but it's still a surprise when witnessing a human with more muscle. "I'll check in with him when I can" he responds to the notification about reporting in. "And uh... thanks" he'd thank for the compliment of his weapon choice. ( SilverFlight SilverFlight )

Aymeline

After settling back down by the fire, the Giant chuckled at the small elf's consternation. The sight of Bron's thoughtful gift to the little girl softens the chuckle and turns her smile into something as warm and radiant as the fire pit itself. Then she sighed and reached for the pile of shiny, brightly polished chainmail. She shrugged back into suit, settling it across shoulders, chest and down to her hips before putting her usual coat on over it. Last, she reached out for the White Warcry, a gleaming warhammer longer than a man was tall, wrought of of steel and a white jade alloy. One palm patted the burnished surface of the enchanted metal.

"Fear not, Leafa. For years, the Guardians of the Empire have fought, bled and died to protect people from the Darkborne. I've taken wounds already and will doubtlessly take more. But as long as I'm standing, know that I will never allow harm to come to you." The Giant's serious proposition gives way to a lighter look of amusement. "But if you see an opportunity to keep harm from me, by all means I won't complain. With a back this large, it's awfully hard for me to watch it." And she winked with a smile.

"Now," she added, raising her voice to encompass those seated by the fire and nearby. "It's time to free our scabbards and don our mail once more. The Darkborne come. They always come, near to this hour. Be ready for them and we'll deliver a beating the likes they haven't seen in years." The emphatic way she smacked the warhammer against the palm of her free hand made an audible 'CLAP' that echoed across the Outpost.

-robert- -robert- SilverFlight SilverFlight

Pryonn and Kaatl

"We returned from gloriousely victorious battle!" the knight jubilantly answered Terra's question, cooking-book clutched to his breastplate "Though some of our numbers were lost - some killed, some apparently departed by their own measures in quietude, curiousely enough..." he trailed off, pondering the implications of their group's apparent revolving-door-recruitment policy. Shaking off the doubts as to the validity, the knight instead continued to address the incruscan, tilting his head in wonder at her apparent perturbation "Why would the title and status of 'Lady' not fit you? Sweet sovereign of my captive heart, whenever I see you, I see heaven! Whenever you speak, I hear an angel whisper!"

Free hand on his heart beside the cooking-book, the knight's declarations rang loud and unembarrassed over the outpost "Lady Terra! Your name to me is half a prayer, half a song! And troubles take wing for he who can sing! And I will sing happily, proclaim your name for all to hear, whether in battle or peace, that they too might find trouble's release!"

Kaatl, ever silent, returned Terra's glare with a carefree smile. Only when the catgirl's attention appeared fully drawn upon the knight did but the slightest appearance of a wolfish grin flash over her angelic features.

Octo Girl Octo Girl
Terra only put her palm to her face and shook it. "Pryonn... Why in the hell are you trying to get in a relationship with me?" She asked him, VERY bluntly. "You have been doing this ever since you met me and it has been nonstop ever since." She said as she glared at him. "You didn't even know who I was before hand. You know nothing about my past, nothing about who I am, and yet you are trying THIS hard?!?!?! Is this an ongoing prank or something? Cause if it is it is not funny!" she said a bit angrily. she was not used to people treating her like their world, nor did she ever think it would happen. Terra just wanted to know why Pryonn was going through all of this.

Pryonn & Kaatl

The knight tilted his helmeted head in curiosity as Terra confronted the most obvious flaw in his courting. Whether he was troubled by her arraying of all-too-logical points indicating a shallowness of his earnestness was difficult to parse, armored and otherwise unmoving as he was. Only the fairy on his shoulder folded her hands, a glint of amused interest in her eyes as the knight quietly listened.

"My Lady." Pryonn finally spoke, voice even, without a hint of disturbance "I am a fool, I am a dreamer, I am a ridiculous armored one who would wish the world to be other than it is, but I am no coward!" his tone full of undaunted vigour, the knight proudly puffed out his plated chest as he continued "Why did I start romancing you, throwing myself at your feet with naught the slightest inkling for reason? At its base, because I simply didn't want to leave it untried, for you see, I am a very silly knight!"

His candor carried no hint of regret, nor embarrassment, as far as the knight was concerned he simply stated matters of fact. "When was the realm of love ever one based upon reason, logic or even mind? Nay, it is one of passion, of heart, of ever so simple want! Would you demand I name but a sound reason for my courting, I could not name a single one! My love for you is not of sanity, my love for you is like a carriage, robbed of horse and cabby!" the knight gave a bell-bright laugh "The reason why I court you is the same for which I batter at walls that will never break! It is the same for which I give when it's all too natural to take!"

"It is true that I know little of you." he admitted "So, I battled a monstrosity and from its guarded hold I earned a righteous cooking book, as any proper knight betook! Upon candlelight and after a few dozen of my impending failures, I intend on rectifying that mystifying straying!"

"Why do I keep romancing you? Simple again: Because you didn't tell me to stop." Stating such, the knight quickly grew rigid, the liveliness he exhibited taking a dip as he grew silent.

His quietude lasted for several seconds before his voice emanated again "Would you..." his tone took on a somber note, for the first time fearful hesitation settling in "... want me to stop?"

Octo Girl Octo Girl

Terra just stared at him confused. It wasn't a joke. Not a prank. Not anything to mess with her. This man, Pryonn, without knowing anything about her, decided to try and romance her. "Listen... I..." She did not know what to say at this point. She just shook her head as she turned around and started to walk away. A million things were going through her mind, and she couldn't concentrate on just one. But why would someone like someone like her in that way. Terra stopped a small distance away and sighed. "Hey Pryonn..." She said, looking slightly over her shoulder. "You better make some damn good food..." she said with a half smile as she walked away, not really letting him have a chance to explain himself further. She needed time to think.
Unwavering Knight Unwavering Knight

Gilligani

A voice suddenly came to Gil's mind as he stood among the small gathering of friends and comrades, and it spoke a greeting, just as the mage noticed the lady with those strange feet that he'd seen by Audaton earlier approaching them. Now that he'd taken a good look at the individual, she seemed human enough, a rather beautiful woman, which really only added the certain creepiness to her appearance given those uncanny-looking feet. Gil wasn't familiar with this 'mutation', though he's well-informed of certain reckless experiments with arcane forces may yield a range of results that are equally strange and creepy.

There was also the possibility of her belonging to an entirely different race, which upon the thought, sparked something in the enchanter's mind, something he'd come across before in his studies. Yet, the weariness that was plaguing his mind from the long journey shrouded much in the back of his head. The tired mage was content to leave it an issue for another time.

Telepathy seemed to be the way she communicated, at least Gil knew that much. Whether or not she was capable of normal speech is... something else, however. Upon some evaluation, the mage grasped the telepathic link established between them and started channeling his reservoir of Light energy. The enchanter's eyes briefly flared up with green arcane influence, before subsiding. Gil sent a telepathic message back at the lady, who now have joined the gathering, apparently standing closer to him.

"Welcome, my friend. My apologies, but I don't think I caught your name? Regardless, you're welcome to join us!"

At that moment, a loud CLAP echoed across the outpost as Aymeline suddenly smacked her mighty war-hammer against the palm of her free hand. As most conversations so far were generally kept within ear-shots, with the exception of the occasional call-outs by the guards and Gil calling out to the half-orc man earlier, the sudden disruption of the otherwise relatively peaceful night made the mage jump a bit before realising the source of the sound. Regardless, Gil reminded himself to remain guarded. The man nervously glared about the darkness beyond the outpost over the shoulder of the lady he was conversing with, wondering about the horrors currently concealed by the night.

Mentioned: Kabboom Kabboom Epiphany Epiphany
Interacting: hostage hostage

Leafa

Her eyebrows furrowed in confusion as the big man placed the odd instrument in her hands. How did it even produce sound? It looked like a rock with a bunch of holes on it. Nonetheless, Leafa felt relieved she had some sort of emergency button with her... not that she would need it, obviously! "Ooo... is it a rock... with holes? And music will come out of it if I blow it? Mommy had a lot of music makers, but I've never seen one like this one!"

She had to admit, although Ayemaline's speech made her feel safer, and gave her a weird sense of motivation, the loud "CLAP" at the end might have been a little too much in her opinion, she cowered and did her best to block the sound, but the loud noise still echoed in her ears and inside her head. "Eeek! Uh, maybe a little less hammer next time?" She said in a joking tone, not wanting to hurt the feelings of the giant woman.

Epiphany Epiphany SilverFlight SilverFlight

Teoippe
Teo chuckled as the man next to her responded to her greeting. His surprise was palpable, and she laughed musically, then established a one-way link with him. “Yes, in fact it was. Are you surprised?“ She gave him a smile, flicking her hair and bumping his, no, Vik’s, arm.

It is a pleasure to meet you, orc-spawn,“ she continued taking note of the rather orc-ish figure and the unmistakable scent. Teo turned to Vik, the mage-of-deep-power, who had met her gaze. In a brief flash she felt him connect with her own telepathic link, but the unexpected surge of hot-bright-light magic made her sway on her feet, spots dancing across her vision.

Whoa...“ she said, blinking rapidly and chirping in annoyance. “Take it easy with your magic. Light magic of your kind does not work well with my head,“ she informed him. “Sorry, I have been slowly getting used to, well, the arcane arts,“ Teo added, almost apologetically. “And my name is Teoippe, but most settle with calling me Teo.

She as well flinched when a resounding clap rang out, and jumped, twisting rapidly in the air and banging her elbow on Gil’s arm. She whistled apologetically, sending him a frantic “Sorry!“ She narrowed her eyes, finding the source of the noise. A hulking figure sat by the flickering orange-and-red-burning fire. “Is that a... giant?“ she asked Gil, her eyes wide. Teo had only seen the large-folk from far away. To be journeying with one gave her chills, along with a sense of security. The large-folk were known to be protective and very strong.
I- Trappy Trappy PsychoticOne PsychoticOne
M- Epiphany Epiphany

Jericho

This was hopeless. There's too many of them. There's simply no end to them. No matter how many of them go away, more will return. Always.

That's what Jericho thought, as he processed the shady man named Alex Alucard, with Teoippe's thoughts running unrestrained in his mind, watching as Kaelynn interacts with that new girl who he suspects either has a ridiculous name, or a normal name spelt ridiculously, Pryonn and his little fairy Kaatl courting Terra Lyons with what appears to be a book (that'll knock the ladies out for sure), the enchanter Gil (probably short for something more ridiculous) talking to Pat and that half-orc, along with that Sarmanian-looking knightess, Leafa, Bron and Aymeline having a hearty conversation, and is that a brick-- no, a rock-- no, a... something in Leafa's lap that Bron just gave to her. Who names these people?!

Regardless, he kept his mind on track. His name is Jericho Audaton, after all. Hypocrisy isn't that funny when you're actually aware of your hypocrisy. Focusing through Teo's thoughts, he carried on talking. "Good to see you, Alex. I'm Jericho, though you'd probably known that already-"

His words stopped. Not from a mundane thing either. Not from Aymeline's resounding clap. Not from how the Guardsman on the wall twitched a bit. Not from how the sprites swayed with urgency in the edge of his vision. Not even from how the veteran Guardsmen had all gone sullen and silent, to the bewilderment of the newbies. Jericho felt it himself. How the wind shifts for a sinister turn.

Dark inbound.

Tharek had long stopped hammering away at some metal thing in his personal corner, and Gaheris had stirred from his small sleep. The half-Giants, as well as anyone else with a strong connection with the Light could definitely feel the Darkness creeping all around them, like a noose tightening around the neck. Even those with heightened regular senses - taste, smell, touch, etc. - could feel it somewhat, like a sourness on the tip of their tongue. Scully could be seen taking in the situation, and hurriedly reaching for his tools, while Lt. Finn stands up in a ready position, moving at an unrestrained speed towards the stairs leading to the walls. Towards Jericho.

The look in the lieutenant's eyes said it all. Even a brisk and terse man like him had changed. No more relaxed nonchalant descriptions. The look in his eyes were one of panic and fear, hiding behind the veils of courage and seriousness, like a cornered animal moving by instinct. Words came out of his mouth, but Jericho couldn't tell if his actual mouth was moving or not. "Sir, there's bad news inbound. Lots of 'em. Advise we get to positions, now."

Well then. A fight it is.

image0.jpg

The sprites released by the Imperial Guardsmen flared up in luminosity and ascended quickly, reaching the treetops in no time at all. The ghastly features of the barren wasteland cleared by the Guardsmen this afternoon were made obvious, complete with all the Darkwoods' personal games of horror - intertwining branches shaped too similarly to a human to be a mere coincidence, twigs and rocks that move hauntingly, yet remain completely still at the same time, and more. Soon enough, the Darkborne come.

Darting out of the thick bush at fast speeds, the Runners charge towards the defenses. Living up to their name, this 20-strong pack bobs and weaves, easily dodging the early arrows and shots of the more inexperienced wall defenders. "Runner scouts! Play the tune!" Lieutenant Finn hollered atop the battlements.

Every man and woman who wasn't immediately dead or asleep sprung into action, donning their haphazardly-removed armor back on and brandishing their weapons, before mounting any and every defensive platform there is. The veterans corralled the newbloods, and everyone moved in harmonious urgency. Or to be more precise, a quarter of the fresh reinforcements were sent into panic and disarray: this was their first battle, shockingly enough. The other half have begun ascending the stairs, only to descend down the stairs in rapid succession; looks like somebody missed a step or two and fell down, bringing everyone else with them. The veterans made it up unscathed, dodging the pile of crumpled newbies with an annoyed curse or two.

Latching their self-made ropes onto the secured metal hooks, the Guardsmen fought with no fear, betraying their snobbish and unprofessional demeanor seen regularly. For although they rest and frolic and mess around in the day, they fight at night. They have fought- no, danced, with the vile Darkborne fiends for every night of every day they have spent here, every waking moment preparing the stage in the day worth a thousand waltzes, when their untamed 'partner' comes crashing into them under moonlight.

"Opening waltz!" A particularly raucous Guardsman hollered, signifying the start of an opening salvo directed at the Runners. The intensity of the fire wipes them out, barking and howling in their throes of wounded rage, before slumping down abruptly and ceasing their existence. But that was not all.

"Sprites on the garden flank! Waltz!" Another voice cried out, on the side of the wall harboring Scully's quarters. Atop it was a small garden of fast-growing fruit trees, and beyond that were the battlements for that flank, looking down a sheer drop-off down to ground level. The alarm signified more Runners, and were confirmed with gunshots and arrows whistling in the wind, followed by the muffled howls of dying Darkborne.

"Waltz, second floor flank! Waltz, goddammit!" A female voice cried out atop the second level. Even more. The newbies ineffectively hauling themselves up from the pile on the stairs were quickly startled by abrupt gunfire coming from the battlements of the second floor, firing into the oblique. The veterans grit their teeth. This was new. Usually, the dance would start off with a full frontal rush towards the main entrance of the outpost, comprising of an unregulated and mixed horde of Runners, Darkwolves, Spikethrashers and Darkwings. But this was different. By the sounds of it, there were only Runners present at the time, and in three different directions? This is not a tune that the Guardsmen dance to.

Lieutenant Finn was now the de facto commander of the Guardsmen, whilst Jericho roused the remainder of the Guardians and other personnel up. "On your feet, ladies and gentlemen! Darkborne inbound! It's fighting time!" The leader hollered as he donned his helmet and grasped his Magisteel Halberd more closely, before making off towards the garden flank. The lieutenant, in the meantime, sprinted off towards the second level. And by the constant sounds of commanding men and gunshots, more Darkborne inbound. But just the Runner runts. The other higher forms of Darkborne were nowhere to be seen thus far. What are they playing at?

Unwavering Knight Unwavering Knight Pilgrim59 Pilgrim59 -robert- -robert- Midrick Midrick PsychoticOne PsychoticOne hostage hostage Trappy Trappy Octo Girl Octo Girl ShadeAlucard ShadeAlucard Epiphany Epiphany SilverFlight SilverFlight Soviet Panda Soviet Panda LoneSniper87 LoneSniper87 Slop Slop Spireshade Spireshade idalie idalie

Music Playing:

maxresdefault.jpg

Current Physical Abilities: Archery, one-handed combat, brawling
Current Magical Abilities: None

The two other adventurers with Vik seems like they were very friendly. The half-orc would be happy to continue to get to know them. Hopefully all three of them could get along. Vik ended up chuckling at being called 'orc-spawn.' He's sure that the woman didn't mean it as a bad thing. Either way, it was the first time Vik has been referred to as that term.

Alongside everybody else, the clap of the giant's hammer made Vik jump. He figured that the giant was strong, but if she'd be able to make that sound by slapping her weapon, then she's definitely not a force to be reckon with. "I sure do feel bad for whoever receives the end of her hammer" Vik commented with amusement.

It wasn't long afterwards that the atmosphere in the air changed. Everybody could sense it in their own way. For Vik, the wind had a different scent than before. "Well that was quick..." he'd suddenly say. "And I just got here too." The orc began to unsheath his bow a prep an arrow on the bowstring.

Immediately afterwards, he began to run towards the other soldiers that were ready to fight, leaving the mage and woman he was talking to. He felt a bit bad, but defending against this next assault was more important than socializing. Vik noticed gunshots from firearms on the second floor of the outpost. The archer figured that the higher ground was more necessary for his fighting style, so he increased his speed while sprinting towards his new destination. Once up on the second floor and on the edge of the wall, Vik drew back his string and aimed. He saw his enemies, Darkborne runners. He's witnessed them in the wilderness before. They were easy prey that would receive the tip of his arrows.

hostage hostage Trappy Trappy

Last edited:
Aymeline

The Giant didn't need the commander's shout or the sudden response of the garrison's troops to know what's coming. Her Light-attuned senses swept out and recoiled at the impending wave of Darkness slowly coiling around the small fortress. Straightening to her full height, she was able to look right onto the second story and Aymeline grimaced at the disorder of the fresh troops, though she couldn't say it surprised her. But then, she'd been green once too.

Aymeline turned in place to survey the newly assembled Guardians, Mages and the...well, the not-enlisted soldiers that'd come on the caravan. Her Guard Weapon was clasped in one fist, a great warhammer named the White Warcry in myriad legends passed down in the Empire from the last several centuries. Aymeline extended her other hand towards the brave defenders assembled to fight. Despite the darkness of the night, lit only by the dim fires scattered around the courtyard, there's a palpable glow around her fingers.

"For those of you who are new, I am a Guardian of the Lightborne. Each of us have a talent. This is part of mine. Touch your weapons to my fingertip and I will infuse it with Light. It won't last much beyond morning but the Darkborne will find the wounds dealt by your weapons far more grievous than mere steel. And it may offer you each of you a measure of protection. If any of you wield the Light yourselves, as Guardians or through sorcery, come to me in battle and I will restore your energy when it grows weak. Now, to the walls and the defense of the Empire's men!"

For each warrior who steps up, Aymeline invokes her Channel of Power talent and imbues the blade with a temporary Enchantment of Light.

Unwavering Knight Unwavering Knight Pilgrim59 Pilgrim59 -robert- -robert- Midrick Midrick PsychoticOne PsychoticOne hostage hostage Trappy Trappy Octo Girl Octo Girl ShadeAlucard ShadeAlucard Epiphany Epiphany SilverFlight SilverFlight Soviet Panda Soviet Panda LoneSniper87 LoneSniper87 Slop Slop Spireshade Spireshade idalie idalie

gwOIbAW.png
Vera Pavlov
Hearthfall Season - Nightfall
Expeditionary Camp, Darkwoods

Interacted:
Gil ( Trappy Trappy )
Mentioned: Aymeline ( Epiphany Epiphany )

The Few, The Proud, The Sarmanian Marine

Tremors of the disturbed breezes stirred the Sarmanian's heart, as her metallic claws gripped tightly upon her broad armasa*. Vera's compilation of thoughts and lax respite have dispersed at the onset of Commander Audaton and the Imperial legions. The malevolent growls and groans of the shrouded woods grew louder in every direction, prompting the knight to follow suit alongside her comrades. She studied the faces of those around her, especially the old breeds, of whom were the first respondents, as if it was their second nature, without much hesitations. It brought the Sarmanian back, to a time where she was a young and wide-eyed recruit. But this time, her oppositions were no longer a familiar face, as their humanity were all but non-existent. Vera's legs moved on their own, as she turned to her friend.

"Time to earn our stripes, Gil!" Vera announced, before hurling herself towards the multitude of scurrying troops.

While it was her first battle against the horde of darkness, Vera can't help but be consumed by her zeal. The objectives were clear, her combat readiness tended to, and her vigilant eyes were cast upon the lively forest. The trees towered above Vera, while the darkness encroaches upon the horizon - encircling the outpost in an expedited manner. To a sane individual, it was fair to claim that the forests were closing in on themselves. While the Sarmanian paladin seemed unfazed by the dreary and inimical threats that came before them, she did not discern the fears that crept up upon her, in guise of an adverse thrill. Vera never claimed to be sane, as she herself had wandered and experienced all kinds of bizarre things in life. Where her countrymen had gone to bed in peace, far away from the raging battles between the World of Light and the Darkborne threats, Vera took into heart of her deeds, as well as others' - united in their cause for a peaceful world.

While the Giantess that stood adjacent to the knight had proclaimed her goodwill and disclosure of the prior's abilities, Vera could only nod in compliance. She acknowledged her peer's offer in silence, as she paced herself towards the front lines, bypassing the battlements and palisades. It was a leader's obligation to stand tall before any adversity and to lead by example, even if the paladin was no longer leading her company. Vera's cloak fluttered in the calm, but troubled breeze, as she took large, confident steps alongside the Imperial troops. Her arrogant manners, Vera had reciprocated a certain sense of security upon the weary soldiers around her. Whether through her intimidating attire and aura, or by the way she presented herself, little mattered, as the Sarmanian had made it clear to those around her that they were in this fight together. Vanity of personal glories hid well beneath the paladin's grim armet, as Vera drew her armasa and exhaled slightly.

(It's time to prove my worth, cousin! They will know of the Pavlov from all the corners of this sleepless world! Come! Let this Kapman have a taste of what the Darkness has to offer!) she thought to herself.

"Salema Stela! Sankta Sussa*!!!" Vera exclaimed, as her fingers gripped tightly upon her arms of war.

A distinctive sound emitted from Vera's armasa, as the immaculate blade erected from its linen-wrapped hilt - forming a javelin at the command of the paladin's sheer will. In an age where magic had surpassed most methods of a conventional warfare, there yet remains a few of whom had favored a good blade. Sarmania, in all its rugged and coarse rise throughout history, was written by steel and blood. To those that carried a sword and met their opponents at a breath's distance, there was a certain pride in taking the first step into hell. While the paladin did not admit this case, her eagerness and convictions were avid testaments to these truths. Underneath her cold, indiscriminate visage of cold Sarmanian steel, the girl was consumed in her own madness, stretching a crazed smile across her face, while her hungry eyes fed on the anticipation of the battle to come.

*Translation Notes:
1. Armasa
Sarmanian Armed Forces' primary infantry weapon in the form of a spear, that may be retracted into a short sword. Vera's custom-built claymore is designed in the same manner, and has the capability to turn into a short glaive, or dagger.

2. Salema Stela. Sankta Sussa.
Sarmanian Marine Expeditionary Unit's motto, that translates to "Solemn Steel. Sanctioned Success."
Originated and borrowed from a Sarmanian's poem - Annals of The White Blossoms's line "Solemn Solitude of Sacred Steel".

Last edited:
Alex

Alex stood proud until the moment he felt it, a change in the atmosphere as the Darkborne made there presence. "ah, so they arrive as soon as we do...perfection on their part to attack while the new guys have had no training...i like how they think." Alex said as his arms become coated in a thick, white substance and then, out of nowhere, came a blade in each of his hands. "may the light watch over us all!" Alex said as he charges to the front gates. He wanted to be on the front lines, he wanted to have some fun while he still could. As he reached the front lines, he awaited for the perfect moment to rush in and protect his new family.

Jazmin
Jazmin was just about to ask a guard who Jericho was when she noticed everyone start to move quickly and heard everyone shouting. She panicked and put herself against a wall as everyone moved to their positions. She had no idea what to do and just stood there, watching and eyeing everyone, seeing where the best spot for her would be as a cleric who was only there to heal those whom became wounded in this battle. 'this is terrifying...i was hoping for more time' she thought to herself

Gilligani

While not used to the atmosphere of an attack, Gil, who often tap into the Light and manipulate its powers as an Enchanter, couldn't help but feel the sudden surge of negative, dark energy that seemed to emerge from the darkness of the night, and immediately started enveloping the Lightborne. It was overwhelming, for one with few experience dealing with the Darkborne as he was. It sent shivers down his spine. The mage stumbled for a moment and caught himself as the telepathic link with the peculiar lady dropped, his eyes nervously scanned the dark sky to no avail. There was no sight of the beasts, yet the atmosphere seemed heavy with their apparent presence.

"O-Oh... Oh dear. They are here already."

Feeling the slight panic kicking in, the mage glanced across his comrades, only to prompt embarrassment to kick in as well. Veterans or not, they all seemed prepared for action. The half-orc by the name of Vik was first to move, as he dashed off to join the defences on the wall, apparently keen to use that hunting bow of his. The general alarm had been sounded now, as guardsmen rushed to their posts, a varying degree of armour pieces donned and weapons at the ready, fixed for battle. After briefly giving Gil a heads-up, Vera too rushed after the scurrying troops.

"Wait!... Ugh. Um..." The man stuttered, narrowly missing as he tried to grab his paladin companion, before fixing himself and retracts four fingers while extending the index one, and begun hastily chanting the words he knew. "Light, cast your blessings upon her if her heart is true. Let no evils or wicked do her harms in the fray."

The tip of his finger glowed ever-so-slightly a green light, signifying the arcane influence. And as Gil finished the incantation, a layer of green Light energy briefly glittered around the paladin's form, before vanishing as she continued to charge into position. The mage followed after them, pondering his courses of action, when he ran into the giant warrior from earlier amidst her speech. The impressive sight up close gave Gil some confidence knowing they were on the same side, amplified somewhat by the great war-hammer. Apparently she was offering her Light energy! Perhaps there was no need to sneakily syphon it from her after all - he thought. Then again, to reach his maximum capabilities in these backwater, corrupted lands, far outside of the Network can be quite taxing. Gil stepped up as the giant finished her speech, raised and aimed his palm towards her glowing finger.

As soon as he came closer to the giant Guardian, Gil felt a wave of Light energy washed over him, banishing his worries and nervousness. It felt warm, calm and embracing, almost reminiscence of the Network's embrace, though comparatively rather lacking and partial. Regardless, the Enchanter was deeply grateful.
"Enchanter Gil Chotsky, pleased to make your acquaintances, my Lady. It's a shame the circumstance doesn't allow us to get to know each others better, but... I'll gratefully accept your help."
With that said, the mage suddenly clutched his hand into a fist and pulled back. And as he did that, a flare of bright, flame-like Light energy shifted from the giantess's glowing finger, before shooting out at the Enchanter, who reeled back but stood his ground, embracing the power Gil had missed so dearly. And with power, came a clear sense of purpose: He'd stand strong among gallant companions, and with the Light's blessings and protection over them, nothing would frighten him, not even the cursed Dark scourge.

The five gems that made up the Crown of Starlight on his helm flared up, before emitting thin, green beams of Light energy towards his morning star, which glowed with a similar dim green light. Gil raised his weapon, pointing it to the night sky above them, and blasted a large bolt of Light energy upwards. The bolt continued to travel, before exploding into multiple smaller Light missiles just a few metres above the highest level of the outpost. The missiles of destructive Light energy spread and circled around to form a ring of bright green light above the outpost and its defenders, like a halo above the outpost. The ring faintly illuminated the site to a degree, nothing too significant, but for the mage, it was better than pitch darkness.

As soon as that was finished, Gil took up his kite shield and moved by the giantess.
"I... don't get to do that very often." He said. "I'll be sticking with you for a bit, if you don't mind. Oh, and... that was just a little skim off the top of what you offered, but my apologies." His weapon glowed again as Gil pointed it at the Guardian. A faint green layer of Light energy briefly glittered on top of her chainmail, before subsiding, indicating the spell taking effects.

Interacting:
Pilgrim59 Pilgrim59 Epiphany Epiphany - Vera and Aymeline are now under the effect of Shield. (The Light shield absorbs damages from 10 different attacks regardless of magnitude before collapsing.)

Mentioned: PsychoticOne PsychoticOne hostage hostage

Bron chuckled at Leafa's antics, trying not to think of the prospect of the little elf pitted against the dark horde he had a taste of earlier that day. His expression grew grim when Aymeline spoke of the impending attack.
He stilled as the giantess tensed beside him, a hand going instinctively to the axe strapped to his back. His wounds ached in the anticipation of more violence, but he wasn't about to let them hold him back.
When Aymeline called upon her light powers Bron touched the flat his his axe into the magic, feeling the metal drink it up. He couldn't help but smile darkly.
"I like this advantage."
He stood away for a moment, examining the blade happily. "All right then you lot. Try not to die."
Epiphany Epiphany -robert- -robert- Trappy Trappy

When the call rose up Bron started forward. Much of the new blood was in a panic and Bron swore. It was too soon for this. For them. He stopped by a heap of young men, scrambling to get to their feet, hauling several up at once.
"If you panic you're as good as dead!" Bron barked at them. "Take your fear and hold it. Use it. You are fighting for your lives. Watch each other's backs, and for sky's sake protect the casters. Now let's go!"

Bron bounded up the stairs in the lead of them, reaching the battlements in time to see the next wave of runners charge. He stopped beside Jericho ( Kabboom Kabboom ), nodding a greeting to Alex and Teoippe ( ShadeAlucard ShadeAlucard hostage hostage ) before Alex darted off to be one of the first to meet the forces head on.
"Why aren't there heavy warriors?" This was the first question out of his mouth. The fortress was in bad shape but it was still a fortress. Light fighters, no matter how fast or vicious wouldn't do much against stone walls.
"Do the battlements have any structural weaknesses they could have found out about? Because I don't like this one bit. They're up to something."
Kabboom Kabboom

Teoippe
The air of danger and darkness surrounded her in tendrils, and she bared her teeth, her eyes nothing but slits of apprehension and battle-readiness. She noticed that Vik had joined the front, and Gil followed in his footsteps. The two seemed hardened and ready to fight, unlike some of the others who cowered around her, their eyes covered by their fingers and stance weak. Teo snorted in indignation and sent a man sprawling, snapping out some annoyed words through her mind links. The men seemed even more shocked by her sudden outburst and scurried along behind the old-timers who had rushed to meet the wave of enemies.

Teo curled her lip. She was not going to fully join up with her group of Guardians. No, she would take to the forest. After all, she knew forests. She dove into the tangle of trees, surprisingly quick and nimble for her appearance. She saw shapes moving through the darkness and the voices of the earth swirled around her. Through the cracking of a tree she understood that the foul-dark-monsters had infliltrated. Through the grunts of a large boar she heard of the forest-inhabitants fleeing from the dark beasts that had entered. She stiffened suddenly, her eyes piercing through the thick shadows that shrouded the many trees around her. Something moved.

It was nothing but a young doe, who stared at Teo curiously. Teo cracked a smile, relaxing. Until the doe was snatched away, bleating helplessly. Teo broke into a sprint, following the cries of the animal until she broke through the brambles and was met face to face with two-no, three- foul-beasts. They grunted in surprise, only to be met with her sword.

She rammed into one, sending it tumbling down, and lopped its head off. She pivoted to meet the claws of another beast, slicing off many of its digits. The thing howled again as she ran it through. Teo made quick work of the other beast, only leaving with a couple of slices and scratches. Teo knelt by the side of the doe, meeting its eyes as it laboured for breath. Its belly had been sliced open, leaving no chance to save it. Teo chirped softly, brushing the deer’s mind to comfort it. The animal passed, and Teo rose up, a startling red mask of the doe’s blood swiped on her face. She watched as the ghost-breath of the deer trotted away, and followed it’s “steps”.

There are Others in the forest,“ she cried, establishing a mind link with Jericho, Gil, and Vik as soon as she came close enough for contact. They were the only ones she really knew and trusted, and relayed the information quickly through her memories and words. She practically threw the image of the foul-beasts at them, her rage and vengeance twirling around like birds in the sky. She burst into the open, pounding up the battlements and regrouping with the others. In the dim light, her face looked black as the blood she had smeared across her visage masked her expression. Only her eyes glittered out, angry yellow-ish slits.

M- Kabboom Kabboom PsychoticOne PsychoticOne Trappy Trappy

maxresdefault.jpg

Physical Abilities: Archery, one-handed combat, brawling
Magical Abilities: None

Vik was already firing arrows at the Darkborne runners. He brought plenty of arrows, and the crates had more than enough for him to use. He wasn't too worried about ammunition right now. The giant had offered to enchant her allies. The orc liked the idea of buffing up his weapon, so he turned in order to gain her assistance. However, the quiet telepathic girl requested his assistance. According to her, there were people in the forest. "My bloody lucky day" Vik mumbled, not liking the idea of endangering himself any further than he has to.

The half orc looked back at the giant, really wanting the elemental boost. "Tsk. Fuck it" he cursed before turning towards the edge of the wall. He grabbed some rope nearby and tied it onto the edge before safely rappelling down. Upon landing, he pulled out his bow and fired at two incoming Darkborne. Obviously he was going to be ambushed now that he was out in the open.

"Well... here I go" he talks to himself before strapping the bow to his back and unsheathing his blade. The half-orc would then put on his iron mask before sprinting towards his female ally. "I'm here. What do you need?" he says before entering a defensive position while holding the sword with one hand.

Some more Darkborne were inbound, but Vik easily cut them down, protecting his companion. She ran off back towards the others for more security, so Vik followed, but made sure to cover her back. Some more Darkborne tried to swarm, but Vik scared them off with a war cry. "Come on! You want some of this!?" he cried out. The creatures made their odd hissing like growls as Vik backed up. Thankfully they were easily taken down by the ranged fighters. Now that it was much safer, Vik was able to follow the telepathic woman back to the others.

Last edited:
Terra heard the shouts at the gates and rushed towards the walls. She scooped rocks up as she ran and started crushing them. As she approached the wall, she took out a wind crystal and threw it at her feet. The crystal shattered, releasing a large burst of wind that shot Terra over the wall. She landed on the other side with a roll. She loaded a lightning crystal into her broadsword hilt as she slammed the bottom into the ground to fully chamber the crystal.

Lightning shot up from the hilt as Terra got her footing on the ground. She closed her eyes as the lightning took the shape of a broadsword. A few soldiers saw this performance and yelled for her. Terra yelled alongside of them and charged into battle, slashing at the Darkborne in her path. She crushed an earth crystal in her hands in order to use the earth as an extra layer of armor.

After watching the woman salute him, and the enchanter call him sir, he started to reply but was stopped when he heard the alarm to alert of an impending darkborne attack He unsung the sword on his back and exposed the blade before shoulder mounting it, he retrieved his sallet and stared at the two sentences etched into the faded metal. He strapped it on and lifted the face protector jogging over to the Sarmanian in full plate who was yelling. He jogged past the various palisades and barricades set up by the guardsman he was a head taller and could spot her.

"You must be pretty keen on dying huh?" He said as he approached her right side, seeing her... whatever it was morph into a javelin. He decided that it was of no concern what her weapon could do, he was about to show off his in a little while. "So, wheredya learn to fight anyways?" he said as they walked through the forest. The atmosphere was oppressive, and even though the light whatever they were had been shining down from the forest canopy, it still managed to be almost pitch black. "Names Pat, by the way." he said as he scanned the tree line for enemies.

he didn't like where they were he felt exposed and that the runners were just bait for something else, he also felt that they were being encircled by something that was extremely unsavory. "Something tells me, we made a mistake coming out here." he said turning his head to look over his shoulder. "Got a bad feeling about this." he murmured as he focused back in front of him.

Pilgrim59 Pilgrim59

Aymeline

As the Giant finished enchanting the weapons soldiers brought to her, she straightened up to her full height once more and peered out over the walls. The packs of Darkborne dying uselessly against the wall didn't bode well. The Dark wasn't stupid. Something else was in play here tonight. Perhaps something reacting to the destruction of its foothold in those ruins. She knew intuitively that the worst was yet to come. And with several warriors already jumping the walls to bring the fight to the enemy, people could start dying very soon.

There were Mages here, wizards and practitioners of Light magic. There were also Guardians and she knew how much of a force multipler the Empire's Light Network could be...if only they weren't a hundred miles or more from its outer edges. In the wilderness, in outposts like this, every Guardian was on their own, subject to the slow recharge of their own personal Light. If not for the Giants. If not for Aymeline. Her kind had always been a natural Light repository, a focal point for energies others could draw upon and tap. For Aymeline, though, her talent had manifested in her teenage years and the Mage that discovered her had remarked on her talent. Even for a Guardian, it was rare. She'd tapped her personal reservoirs a few times tonight, particularly in blessing the weapons of the Outpost. But now, it was time to open the floodgates all the way.

Aymeline flipped the White Warcry upside down and dropped it thud heavily into the cobblestones of the Outpost's central courtyard. Then, bowing her head, the Giant reached. And reached. And then she connected.

To the soldiers and defenders of the outpost, the effect was immediate. Aymeline began to glow, like her hand had earlier. Only this glow grew, shedding incandescent brilliance as she flared sharper, brighter, and higher. A towering pillar of light suddenly shot up into the sky, a rising vortex of energy raising loose pebbles on the courtyard floor. For a moment, the light vanished up into the sky, swallowed by the night. And then it dropped back down, an almost palpable weight of Light bringing with it the Light Network. Everyone with the slightest smidgeon of sensitivity could feel it, feel the faraway Empire reaching out, reconnecting with every Guardian and Mage in the outpost, bringing with it all of the stored power that had made the Empire the world's only hope against the Darkborne.

In the center of a tower of Light, Aymeline stood there. Head bowed, hands clasped over the hilt of her great warhammer. Motionless.

OOC: Connect with the boss on exactly what resources this gives you.

Unwavering Knight Unwavering Knight Pilgrim59 Pilgrim59 -robert- -robert- Midrick Midrick PsychoticOne PsychoticOne hostage hostage Trappy Trappy Octo Girl Octo Girl ShadeAlucard ShadeAlucard Epiphany Epiphany SilverFlight SilverFlight Soviet Panda Soviet Panda LoneSniper87 LoneSniper87 @Slop Spireshade Spireshade idalie idalie

The raw power of the Network, like a boiling hot cauldron being filtered into a measly teacup, paid dividends for the morale and the survivability of the men. Veterans who have suffered from illnesses, both mental and psychological, feel uplifted, as their sores and wounds ever so slightly tighten and sputter, as if they were cowering before the roar of the energetic lion that graced itself upon the outpost. Men everywhere feel empowered, encouraged, as if the world could come down onto them and they'd shrug it off. The effect of the Network isn't this overwhelmingly good, but perhaps it had come as a side effect of being in Dark territory for so long; a sliver of light in the darkest night can rival a thousand suns in the light of day.

But lighting a fire in a dark cave comes with its own downsides. For example, all the nasty things that come to snuff it out.

The Runners, who have been content with harassing the flanks of the outpost so far, now make a mad dash towards the walls. The fire from the Guardsmen did little to stop these wicked speed devils, bobbing and weaving harder than usual just to reach the base of the walls. Smacking against the cobblestone base, the Dark fiends begun digging at the base, like dogs searching for a dug-in hare.

To the front of the outpost, looking at the front entrance, Pat and Vera finally meet their match. From the hides of the impossibly thin branches and trees of the Forest of the Terrors, the Exmen come out. Roughly 40 of them, accompanied by 20 more Manwalkers. These shambling beasts, vaguely humanoid in silhouette, were once humans as well. Perhaps the inhabitants of the ruins? Or some other ill-fated settlement, unknown to the group? No one can know. And perhaps no one will ever know. Hurtling forward at extreme speeds, their fangs and claws bore obviously. The Manwalkers were faster than the runts, obviously having undergone more extensive corruption than the rest of their kin. Their purpose-built fangs and various other sharp tentacles yearned to greet flesh. With great surprise, 5 of them manage to close the distance from the flanks and knock the berserker to the ground, as the Exmen threw themselves at the Sarmanian.

Darkwolves and Spikethrashers emerged as well, ignoring Vera and Pat for the time being, and concentrating instead on the incruscan and human standing closer to the entrance. The red-eyed canines loosed themselves at the fiends, creating a distraction for the main death-dealers of the Darkborne. Uncoiling themselves from their circular rolling form, grinding to a halt near the treelines, their yellow-hot Dark-coated tendrils unfurled and whipped themselves at the outpost, sending yellow bolts of pointy death at Terra and Alex. In doing so, they had emitted the feared 'Thrasher Crack', as a result of their whipping tendrils breaking the sound barrier at the fulcrum of its swing.

The newbies were slightly shaken by the sounds of Darkborne warfare, but the veterans wasted no time in returning fire. Felling half of the Darkwolves and killing a few Spikethrashers, the Guardsmen atop the battlements hurried to reload their weapons, leaving almost none left to prevent 15 Darkwolves from crashing into the exposed warriors outside, under fire from 8 Spikethrashers.

Jericho Audaton

The new influx of information from Teoippe, who had haphazardly scouted outside before rejoining the group, along with the new inquiries from Bron, came to Jericho and resided in his brain for a while, as he finished giving orders. His old comrade, Sgt. Eiglen, has been sent up to the third level, to spot for more Darkborne using the watchtower and the searchlight that they had made, using the crystals from that rock elemental (Speaking of which, she hasn't been seen since the Ruins fight. Missing in action, then. No time for that now, concentrate, Jericho.) Lieutenant Motley had taken to inspiring the fresh troops, or in layman terms, kick them up the stairs and shove 'em into positions with copious threats of physical violence, and Lieutenant Finn... Finn went to do his own thing, over on the garden flank. Rank Commander Zoblis had come out to complain about Jericho not giving him the right to give the order to fire, to which he was said to 'kick himself in the nuts so that it would dislodge his head from his ass', and sent to the third level where he can do reconnaissance.

After doing that, Jericho freed himself up to answer the two from his group. With a nod to Teo's telepathic thought, he swiftly turned to Bron. "None that we know of so far. This is an outer-rim outpost; there's only one way in or out, no side entrances! They might be baiting us to waste ammo, or to misdirect!" Addressing both of them now, he raised his voice. "Those not on guard, evacuate them up to the higher levels! Coordinate with the Quartermaster, see if he's got anything ranged! They might come up from below ground or from the rear, especially using flyers!"

Diverting his attention, he spotted-- Oh come on, what are they doing now?!

Hurtling towards the middle section of the front battlements, standing directly above the entrance, Jericho hollered out to those who had wandered outside the outpost. A counterattack was not a bad plan, but against such a coordinated Darkborne strike, this would certainly prove to be a folly. Not even Cerebrates could force such an organized assault into the minds of the mindless Dark runts, which meant something else was at play here. "Get the hell back inside the outpost, now! This isn't normal!" He bellowed outwards.

One of the Guardsmen pointed out a spot of fiery red in the sky. It had risen not far above the horizon, and looked as if it were enlarging itself, along with a whizzing sound to go with it. Once Jericho caught sight of it, it was all too late: all he could do was concentrate his might, taking great advantage of the Network connection, to provide a Shield Aura to every fighter on top of the wall with him. With luck, they could all survive this Rottapult fireball.

Luck wasn't on their side. Instead, his luck came in the form of a flintlock shot digging into his back, cutting away his Shield Aura. Glancing back, his concentration lapsed as Jericho focused down onto the two prisoners that the second group had brought in. The scoundrels had acquired one of the soldiers' guns, judging by that unconscious Guardsman next to him. His accomplice was trying to cut himself loose with the unconscious soldier's dagger, while the gunman cursed under his breath as the shot failed to do any harm.

Jericho knew that face. That's the bastard that led them astray! That piece of-

Impact. Splash. Ears became fuzzy. The fireball connected. The Guardian felt himself at a loss for words, and at a loss for footing, as his section of the wall was blown apart. Him, and a few other guardsmen, were blown backwards, onto the ground. The fall was backbreaking, although not literally, as he could still feel his legs, and his aching back. The other guardsmen were moaning in pain as well, so that means they're alive. Forcing his eyelids open, Jericho stared into the corpse of the captured bandit, his upper torso crushed by smoldering debris.

Standing up shakily, Jericho surveyed the situation. The wall that he had been standing on had a hole in it, but the wall as a whole was still intact. Using his halberd as a crutch, Jericho did a visual inspection of himself. Perhaps a lot of cracked bones in his body, but nothing that was immediately troubling. His helmet had been damaged beyond repair, though, yet again. It had caught a chunk of shrapnel upon descent, and departed with his head upon smashing against the ground. Oh yeah, speaking of which, his head is bleeding.

The chittering of Darkwings could be heard, though. And soon enough, they come, a swarm of 50 Darkwings sweeping over the outpost from its rear. Just as he predicted. In no shape to yell orders, he was perfectly content with using Experience Drip instead. The Network connection paid dividends; he could encompass the entire outpost. Idea: coordinated Darkborne attack, high level Darkborne at command, unusual, defense, counteract breakthroughs made by Darkborne. Lone artillery shot, precision aim, find and eliminate if possible. Network connection, utilize Light weaponry to fullest. Enemy attempts to sabotage connection must be stopped. Protect Aymeline. Conclude.

That's all the energy he had. Goddamn, this night is gonna be long.

Epiphany Epiphany Trappy Trappy Spireshade Spireshade Pilgrim59 Pilgrim59 SilverFlight SilverFlight hostage hostage PsychoticOne PsychoticOne Octo Girl Octo Girl

within_a_nightmare_by_eemeling-d61wx02.jpg
juho-laitila-698.jpg
__mimics_edge_of_tomorrow_drawn_by_gia__sample-73ae577bedd4c177a868fd69ec519fb4.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back