Idea Exiles from Monstros - A vague rp idea that I'd like help developing

StrixDesmodus

Totally human, I swear!
Lately, I've been thinking about some characters I have that doesn't fit into any of my own rp ideas and also don't most of the rps other people have made, and finally came up with a roleplay they might fit into that doesn't directly copy the one they were originally made for. With how slowly the main rp I'm hosting is going, I think I can actually afford to make a second rp, so I'm going to take a chance and try to get it going.

The idea:
A bunch of mostly nonhuman creatures that might be considered monsters (Think werewolves and goblins instead of elves and dwarves) live in a society that's aesthetically homologous to the 18th or 19th centuries on Earth, with some modern elements here and there. There are some differences in technology, and there's magic. Humans exist but they are rarer than most other sapient species.

Every year, a portal of unknown origin opens up at the edge of the woods near Monstros City, lasting only a day and a night, and the people of this world have avoided it for centuries, because the only creature to enter, despite being belayed by a heavy chain, did not return. The chain that was supposed to bring them to safety broke despite not being extended fully enough to snap, and the portal closed.

One evening, for some reason or another, some monsters cross the portal and come out the other side, which turns out to be modern-day Earth as we might know it. Their powers and other features are intact, but they can't find a way home. They now have to adapt to the vastly different environment.

Anyone want to help me develop this idea?

was there any specific genre you were going for?
A mixture, I suppose, but closest to urban fantasy. It's sort of an Isekai too, I think. A good number of the characters would be from Monstros, but the rest will be earthlings and the setting will most likely be some large North American city.

A mixture, I suppose, but closest to urban fantasy. It's sort of an Isekai too, I think. A good number of the characters would be from Monstros, but the rest will be earthlings and the setting will most likely be some large North American city.
ooh! That is definitely a vibe for sure. Idea: a few nonhuman characters have been trying to pass themselves off as human, and then end up getting discovered in some way.

ooh! That is definitely a vibe for sure. Idea: a few nonhuman characters have been trying to pass themselves off as human, and then end up getting discovered in some way.
I can just picture them noticing that there are only humans in this vast crowd and just panicking and being like "I must blend in"

that's fair. could you explain the world? (sorry I'm not helpful lol)
There's a lot I'm undecided on, but I do have genral vibes, and some character ideas. And actually, you are helping a lot.

Some ideas I've had in general for Monstros that didn't make it into the previous summary, as well as some clarifications
  • Domesticated hellhounds, known as barghests, existing alongside dogs. Wolves still exist, but are distinct from hellhounds in that they and barghests typically have some type of magical or atypical feature, for instance a pair of horns or the ability to start fire.
  • One of my characters is going to be a Barghest that a Mad Scientist/Sorcerer modified to talk and have more anthropomorphic sensibilites.
  • Magic can be ritual, rhyme, and/or potion based, and while commonplace isn't universally practiced.
  • Force-of will type magic is also pervasive, but is very specialized to the person using it. So for instance one person might be able to shapeshift into a bat, but might be unable to control fire. I'm thinking the limit for these powers per character would be approximately three.
  • Divination by various methods is commonplace, but mostly doesn't work.
  • There are scientists, and they're often somewhat like your stereotypical mad scientists.
  • It's socially acceptable to cackle maniacally.
  • Most people get around by either foot, by horse, or by locomotive. Bicycles are a relatively new invention in Monstros.
  • The way people dress is not like modern mainstream fashion. Mostly it's historical looking, especially 18th and 19th century type historical, with punkish flairs here and there, and also influence from previous eras too.
  • Halloween isn't a thing in Monstros, but the portal opens up to Earth on Halloween at noon to noon of the next day.
  • Gay, transgender, asexual, and intersex people in Monstros are about as accepted as they are in modern day USA and Canada. There's still some stereotyping and intolerance, but most mainstream social circles are accepting.
  • The government is a hybrid of a feudal society and a republic.
  • Handguns haven't been invented, but long-arms and cannons aren't unheard of.
  • Pitchfork-and-torch mobs are legally protected under a contested technicality of the law, and do not normally consist solely of humans.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back