Shadowfall

Freshly cut.
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Personal Area

Name: John Wilson

Race: Human

Class: None

Appearance: John has been seen wearing filthy WW1 U.S. military fatigues. His patch and tags indicates that he is part of 77th Infantry Division, 308th Regiment, C Company, and his name is indeed John P Wilson. His face contains a rounded, red nose, a thin set of blonde eyebrows, green eyes, and a somewhat defined jawline.

doughboy.jpg

Outfit: The government issued uniform of WW1 doughboys contain a large tan jacket, matching rugged canvas pants to completely protect him on the field. Strapped to his chest is a pouch that would contain ammunition for his Enfield, over his breastplate to protect him from incoming ballistics. Strapped to his left leg is a air filtration system he can put to his face. It is strong enough to filter out harmful substances in the air, like chlorine gas, the most prevalent chemical weapon used against soldiers in the Great War. He also has a pair of hardy working boots, and a tough steel brodie helmet issued to him as well. 

Personality: Plenty may call J.P. a city boy, his origin coming from New York and all, having the sort of accent for it and all, when in reality, he's a quiet man. One whose demeanor would be idealized by many men for years to come. But in all reality, he doesn't find himself to be all that interesting, as nothing interesting happened in his life. He went to work at the local factory, making cars, becoming one with the machine, and then went home to an empty bed. He, when talking, can sound somewhat quiet, at least back home he was. He doesn't talk very much at all with the denizens of the odd world he came to be in, and makes it a point to stop many questions that come to him from the strange fantasy creatures he comes across. He mostly asks a question with slight worry whenever he comes across one such creature who looks to be less dangerous than the ones he normally encounters, that is some variation of "Where is the Argonne?" or "Where's the nearest town?" Most of the looks he get are those of confusion.

Backstory:

John was conscripted into the Liberty regiment from New York. It was then and there that he learned what hardship really was. Learning during his brief 6 month training period, where he was able to train alongside his friends and family under the Pal Program. He enlisted with his friends he knew from his high school. It was with them, he was willing to give his life to. They trained together, lived together, and ultimately, died together. The three of them, John, Adam, and Nick, swore that if one of them were to ever die, the others would go down fighting to the very end. There they went, training to be the most physically fit they would ever be, with a strict but fair C.O. to guide their company. Their training was rigorous, but as was all training in the army. It was until they had reviewed their mission. It was called the Meuse-Argonne attack, by the boys documenting the whole thing. 

But before any of this, he was a farmer's boy in Kentucky, laden with common sense, and discipline. At the age of 5, his mother and father were unable to support a child, and so he was adopted off to his grandparents and their ranch. At the age of 12, he was fully versed in the art of plowing the land, able to milk the cows, slaughter the pigs, the whole 9 yards. It was at age 18 that he decided he would move to the city, New York, and find work somewhere, and maybe find his biological parents, as they had disappeared completely off the grid for the entirety of his life. It was at age 22, that he was finally conscripted into the war effort, a mass draft catching him just barely, only a few weeks after his 22nd birthday. 

There he was, standing over the flaming forest, gunning down Germans as he had taken cover. The immense destruction of the repeating rifle was astounding compared to the muskets his grandparents kept at their ranch down south. This was highlighted when his battalion was flanked and held in position. His commanding officer had believed that the battalion would be supported on the left by the French and on the right by fellow American forces, where they would be misinformed, and enveloped by 2 dual German battalions. He and his brothers would have to hold for as long as possible, holding on to their messenger pigeons for artillery support and food, and trying to merely use the latrine without being shot to death. Their brothers in arms would die at their feet, and there would be nothing the (improvised) steadfast defenders would be able to do to stop the constant onslaught of bullets and artillery, even from their own. They had to dig in. And so they did. Bunkers that the Germans had previously used fell into their control, and by god did they use them extensively. Death was in the air. Chemical gases were sprayed into the wind, crippling any soldier not diligent enough to equip their gas mask in time. 

It was then, when Adam had fallen by John's feet, giving his life as a bullet shield to protect John from a passing swath of machine gun fire. His last words were something along the lines of "I gave my life for you, don't waste it." With that, John flew into a fury, grasping for Adam's M1911 pistol and firing over and over and over again into the warring turf until it was empty. Seeing this maddened spectacle, Nick pulled him inside, and slapped him on the face twice. Nick informed John that this was real, this was war, and that this was time to get it together. He ordered John to the annals of the bunker, where he knew the big guns were being held at. John went back into the previously dug out reserves, to find not only a large weapon, but also a larger wooden crate, surrounded by many others like it dug into the dirt walls, but this particular crate however, was ajar. Slightly ajar, so it must've had something in it, or taken out of it. Anyways, it was a crate of interest. His friend was just killed only moments before, so he wanted to go out with a flaming bang. He opened the crate, and hands, purple, clammy, scaled hands complete with arms picked him from his crouching stance into the box. This was everything out of the unusual. Nobody would be able to save him anyways, as everyone was outside tending to the wounded, or fighting back the Germans on all four fronts. With that, he was sucked into a void of darkness, where strange voices and pitches, all warped at different scenes in time and space, where everywhere and nowhere at once. He closed his eyes and put his hands over his ears as he let out a scream that might've been uncharacteristic of him, but there's nothing more one can do when travelling through literal hell.

Dislikes: Sudden movement/noises, Being forced to stay in one area for any particularly long amount of time, Uncooperative people

Fears: Sleeping, Open Fields

Major Flaw: Extra-human, no flaw

Magic and Body Area 

Racial Magic: N/A

Chant Spells: N/A

Skill Magic: N/A

Items: Enfield rifle with bayonet affixed (Empty), M1911 Pistol (Empty), Gas Mask, Doughboy's Fatigues, Canteen.

Extra Area

Theme: 

Quote: "The Big Apple? Yeah, it gets too much at times, but sometimes, you have to appreciate everything that's in that apple, even the damn worm in it." -John, describing New York to his grandparents through mail.

Relationships: None (As of the moment)

Other: "ko-no-su-ba!"

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright, your character is approved, however keep in mind I only did a light review of the backstory. Except for the "litteral hell" part which I am choosing to take as a metaphor or another figure of speech (and if isn't then it needs to be removed).

I am not very versed on that period of history and I won't be picking it apart for that same reason. However,  if anyone calls you in for any historical inaccuracies of relevance, be ready to make changes or defend the way you written the backstory. Understood?

If this is fine with you, then please go and enjoy the roleplay! :)  

That's just my interpretation of teleporting anywhere. There are no demons, there is no burning pits, but John is actively passing through space and time, glimpsing his reality simply pass him as he enters a new one. All the "cackling goblins" and "screaming demons" he'll meet again isn't actual demons and goblins, but places in time and space that were of significance, or extreme unimportantance being played out in front of him. Stepping through the wardrobe to Narnia I feel shouldn't be one foot in Erf, another in FANTASY WOOHOOLAND! There should be some consequence on the human psyche for passing between worlds. Such as "The Warp" in the Warhammer universes, and the "Blind Eternities" in Magic: The Gathering. But, uh... that's just my interpretation of passing through the mirror from one reality to the next.

I have done my research of my favorite battle of WW1, The Battle of the Argonne Forest, where the Lost Battalion (A battalion of around 600 men) were trapped by two flanking German battalions and were stuck in the Argonne for six days under heavy fire. You would have to watch for artillery and snipers to drink from the little puddle from last night's rain, and try not to get shot while using the latrine or making a breakfast you had with you. It was bloody. Of the 550 men (an estimate of), 200 died, 150 were captured, and the remaining 200 were able to survive the massacre. The carrier pigeons they used to communicate with base were shot out of the sky, and the ones that got messages for supplies and shellings on enemy positions didn't help at all. Supplies were dropped onto enemy forces and artillery shelled their own men. 

This battle, was one of my favorite that were to come out of WW1, and though it is gruesome, and brutal, and incredibly saddening to hear that 350 boys won't be coming home to meet their mothers, and the surviving 200 fought on, gritting their teeth, gun in hand, for SIX fucking days, is terrible. But, that's a real story of heroism. Not to surrender, to follow orders, against all odds. Even when a brother falls by their feet, they do not falter. They kept fighting, unable to bury their fallen brother due to the constant fighting that took place. I don't think many will be able to fact check, as I would no sooner stab myself in the leg if I were incorrect in my sources.

The first post will be going up soon then. 

I am not questioning if you were right, just saying that I myself would have no way to know and don't have the time to do the required research to find out, so I would need you to keep an open mind. 

That aside, everything seems in order. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back