End of the Underworld

Skari-dono

At the end of Creation there's the Wyld with the theme of whatever element governs that particular diraction.  But what's at the end of the Underworld?  Can we assume that the Wyld takes over there as well?  If so, how seriously disturbing would that be and would it be governed by the same elements or completely different ones?

Any thoughts?

Someone commented on the underside of Creation being the Underverse.

What if that was the area beyond the boundaries of the Underworld?

Sort of a dark and twisted Wyld.

Not really, nope. It's about as far from the Wyld and Underworld as you can get. Seriously, read the FF book. It's completely devoid of the Underworld and Wyld touch. The FEW, very, very few shadowlands are direct links to the Labyrinth.

Aside from the spark of Wyld energy in each Mountain Folk, there is no Wyld in the 'underverse.'

If you notice, Abyssals 1E had a lot of charms that deal aggravated damage to Fair Folk and Wyld creatures.  The reason for this, I believe, is because the Wyld and Oblivion are opposing forces.  Wyld is the chaos of limitless possibilities while Oblivion is the destruction of all.  Because of this, I wouldn't say there's a "Necrowyld" on the borders of the Underworld.

I believe I read somewhere that the ege of Creation just... fades off. Just motionless, barren land/water/dead forest/air for ever. But I can't remember where I read that.

Jukashi said:
But I can't remember where I read that.
E:tAb, Underworld chapter.

There's just a lot of nothing, forever.

-S

That's odd, I don't have that book. Must have read it "off the shelf", so to speak.

A different question but one applicable under the topic header: Is there any way to "end" the Underworld? As in, cleanse it from existance, return all the ghosts to Lethe, polish off all those Abyssal shards and basically bring it back to the way it was before the Neverborn died?

Jukashi said:
A different question but one applicable under the topic header: Is there any way to "end" the Underworld? As in, cleanse it from existance, return all the ghosts to Lethe, polish off all those Abyssal shards and basically bring it back to the way it was before the Neverborn died?
Canonically, I don't think so. The only way to get rid of it is to drag everything into the Pit. Everything.

-S

But I thought that the only reason the underworld existed at all was because the Neverborn's existance is contrary to the nature of the world. Therefore, if  you do away with the Neverborn permanently (somehow) oblivion no longer serves a purpose. Is that right, or is my brain lying to me again?

alohahaha said:
If you notice, Abyssals 1E had a lot of charms that deal aggravated damage to Fair Folk and Wyld creatures.  The reason for this, I believe, is because the Wyld and Oblivion are opposing forces.  Wyld is the chaos of limitless possibilities while Oblivion is the destruction of all.  Because of this, I wouldn't say there's a "Necrowyld" on the borders of the Underworld.
Actually, if you wanna define it even further, Chaos and Order. Oblivion is complete, perfect order. There is nothing, therefore nothing can go wrong.

Battousai said:
But I thought that the only reason the underworld existed at all was because the Neverborn's existance is contrary to the nature of the world. Therefore, if  you do away with the Neverborn permanently (somehow) oblivion no longer serves a purpose. Is that right, or is my brain lying to me again?
The Underworld exists because the Neverborn exist. The Neverborn exist because Creation will not allow them to truly die. Therefore, the only way to get rid of the Neverborn is to get rid of Creation.

-S

Actually' date=' if you wanna define it even further, Chaos and Order. Oblivion is complete, perfect order. There is nothing, therefore nothing can go wrong.[/quote']
Actually, the perfect order of Creation is Fate.  Remember: the Wyld, the Weaver and the Wyrm.

I believe what makes the Underworld inimical to the Wyld is not "destruction", or "order". It's stagnation.

-S

Stillborn said:
I believe what makes the Underworld inimical to the Wyld is not "destruction", or "order". It's stagnation.
-S
I concur with Still on this one; change vs stagnation is a good way to put it.  Another analogous dichotomy that illustrates the relation between the underworld and the wyld would be "what was" vs "what could be".  The whole thing is somewhat parallel to confuscianism vs daoism, although far more mutually exclusive.

There are no Far Shores, as far as canon goes. There's Lethe, there's the Underworld, and out in the westernmost part of the Underworld sea there are three gates, through one of which the spirits of the dead can travel to Yu-Shan and become servants of the gods.

The other two gates? I forget. Someone else remember?

Perhaps it leads to the Well of Udr. Wouldn't that piss off the Dowager?

edit: Piss "off" the dowager, not "on"... lol

ok. i know this is gonna piss a lot of people off by saying it BUT...

if the underworld and oblivion exist because the neverborn refuse to die then what if you can get rid of the underworld by either.

1. sending them all the way into non existence

2. allowing them the be reborn the way that they are suppose to if you destroy a primordial's heart.

3. returning them to life.

hell maybe they would be so greatful for the later they would aid in the fighting of a demonic invasion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back