• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Dragons in Our Midst

Saria gave him a thumbs up and was about to turn back to grab the bag of dog fur when she heard his final comment. She felt heat rise to her cheeks. She glanced back at him before he left and murmured a quiet ‘be careful’.

She reopened the bag and looked down at Cobalt. He needed grooming as well, so that’s exactly what she did. The entire ordeal only took about fifteen minutes.

Tossing the bag in the garbage, she took the entire trash bag out to a bin beside the garage.

Now what? She still felt the need to start getting ready, but Arthur said it would be a while before the car was fixed. There wasn’t much to be done around the house. There were no major chores left.

So, as many people would do when they were bored, Saria turned some music on.

She selected a playlist on her phone and let the Bluetooth speakers fulfill their purpose. Her music ranged from heavy metal to EDM to classic rock. With each passing song, she sang the words and danced around with her boys.

After ‘The Crow & The Butterfly’ by Shinedown, one of her favorite songs began playing. She grabbed a television remote and used it as a microphone.

“I walked across an empty land. I knew the pathway like the back of my hand.” Saria let the words roll off her tongue as she gently swayed with the music.

She continued singing and was soon dancing around, Cobalt and Argo bouncing about.

“And if you have a minute why don’t we go...talk about it somewhere only we know?” She spun around once, “This could be the end of everything. So why don’t we go somewhere only we know?”

Happy the goddess was finally gone he made it to the store, got the parts, and made the trip back. When he parked the bike he shoved the keys in his pocket before grabbing the tool kits and the parts from the store. He headed to the door and knocked. He heard music coming from inside quite loudly. He smirked assuming what he was about to see.

Stepping inside the door he closed it behind himself and watched the scene before him. She was in full blown karaoke mode and he found himself smiling as he stood there quietly watching her "moves". After a minute or so he cleared his throat loudly to get her attention.

"I'm back," he announced. "Ready to get started on the car."

He headed to the door to the garage. Before going out of the door he turned back to her with a mischievious smirk.

"Oh, don't let me stop you. Shake your groove thing girl. Wouldn't want to interrupt the concert. Argo and Cobalt seemed like they were thoroughly enjoying the performance."

Grinning he stepped down into the garage and got to work on the car, disconnected things that would be in the way when he went to remove the old parts. That alone took him at least 15 to 30 minutes. Then he began actually removing the bad parts that needed replacing.

While he was at the store he also had gotten her an air filter, spark plugs, and other things needed for a tune up as well. He figured while he was feeling charitable he would give her car one while he had it pulled apart. By the time he would be finished the car would be ready for the set of The Fast and the Furious. The question he asked himself was would she be Michelle Rodriguez, Dom, or Paul Walker? Guess it depended on how well she could drive this thing.

Saria’s eyes shot open when he caught her attention. She was right in the middle of a line and let her voice trail off. It was as if she was frozen to the spot. There was no doubt her face was red. No one had ever walked in on her singing. Words could not describe how embarrassed she was.

She said nothing and turned the volume down to a lower level. How much had he seen? What did he hear? She should have left the volume at the original level instead of turning it up. Then she would have been able to hear the motorcycle’s engine and she would have saved herself some embarrassment.

After a short while, she grabbed a cold bottle of water from the fridge and went out to the garage, “Hey. Thought you might want a drink.” She said quietly, handing the bottle to him, “How much do I owe you for the parts?”

Standing up and looking over to her he accepted the bottle of water and took a swig from it.

"Thank you beautiful. You owe me a date. Which I expect to be paid in full by the end of tonight," he replied with a smirk before taking another sip of water and setting the closed bottle down on the floor next to where he was standing.

"I'm almost as excited to get it done as you are to have it done. This is a pretty little thing. They don't make 'em like this anymore."

Bending down back over the car he finished putting in the belt and started putting in the pump and attaching things to it, making sure everything was snug and secure. After that he began with the tune up. Changing her spark plugs, battery, air filter, he changed her oil. For everything it took him at least four hours. By the time he finished and walked into the house finishing the water it was already dinner time.

"Saria? Cars done. Wanna give her a try and start her up?"

“I meant money wise.” Saria said, “I can’t wait to drive it again. It feels like forever since I’ve been in the driver’s seat.”

She spent the next few hours organizing a rough draft on paper while trying to find something to wear. She had already showered and fixed her hair. She didn’t bother with makeup, thinking she looked decent enough not to use any that evening. Now she stood in her bedroom modeling for her dogs.

She eventually settled on black skinny jeans with a baby blue too. Not the most fancy thing in her closet, it looked nice. She put her hands on her hips and looked down at Cobalt and Argo, “What do you think? Do I look cute?”

When she heard Arthur say the car was done, she made her way downstairs and out to the garage, “Of course I do.” She said, a small grin already forming. She took the keys and got into the driver’s seat. The turned the key in the ignition and smiled when the engine began to purr, “Oh my god. I’ve missed this.”

He smiled as she came downstairs in her clean outfit.

"You look gorgeous," he commented before handing her the keys to the vehicle.

Following her out to the car he watched as she excitedly got in and started the vehicle up.

"Okay so now turn the steering wheel all the way in either direction. I want to make sure that there's no whine left in this baby."

She did as he said and there was no whine.

"That's good. Now I did a tune up on her while I was here too. Those are supposed to happen every 50,000 miles if ya wanna keep your car in tip top shape. So keep track on your odometer. Why don'tcha kill it for now? I have to get changed before we go on our joyride. On top of that the garage is still closed and I don't want you asphyxiating on fumes."

Saria cut the engine off and put the keys back on the kitchen counter when they went inside. She pointed down a hallway, “The guest bathroom is the first door down the hall.”

She couldn’t keep a smile off her face. It had been forever since she had gotten to drive that car. She couldn’t be happier. Now she had to figure out where to go.

Before anything, she fed Cobalt and Argo their dinner. Who knows what time it would be when she got home.

He ran out to his bike to grab his date supplies. Walking back in he followed her instructions to the guest bathroom. While in there he washed his hands and face as best he could before he put on a fresh coat of deodorant and his fresh clothes. Once he was fully dressed he walked out with his dirty work clothes set them by the door so he would be able to put them in his saddlebags later.

"So I never asked. What kind of food do you like? I don't find it to be a fitting date to take a girl to a drive through for fast food and you don't need to worry about prices. if there is a place you like to eat that is nice or if there is a REALLY nice place you've always wanted to try I'll get us in."

He smiled over at her as he bent down to pet the two white fur balls before joining her in the same room.

"Incase you couldn't tell I'm excited for our date," he whispered to her. "Hopefully you can forgive me if I'm a little rusty at the dating game. It's definitely been a.....while."

“I understand that a little too well. I gave up about five years ago. Haven’t gone in a date since. I couldn’t find anyone who liked dogs and understood my work schedule.”

Saria turned her phone off after using her camera as a mirror. She needed to have her hair dyed again. The purple was faded and her blonde roots were starting to show through.

“I’m alright going wherever. I’m just happy to be getting out of the house and spending time away from chores or work. You should pick the place...and I’ll pay because you fixed my car.”

He stopped her at the door, turning to face her.

"I refuse to let you pay. It's not a macho thing. I know women are fully capable of being completely independent and being successful without a man. I'm the one that asked you out on this date. It would be wrong of me to let you pay."

When she explained that she wasn't picky he knew of a place that would probably make her feel uneasy and shock the hell out of her that he could even get her into. It would be pricey but oh so worth it to see the expression on her face. Most people were shocked that he could even walk into such a place but he had done the owner a favor so the man owed him a favor or two. He braced his arm against the doorframe and blocked her way to the garage until she would relent on paying.

“But I was the one who asked you to fix my car. If I hadn’t asked you to do that, we may not even be going out tonight.” Saria cocked a brow at him and folded her arms over her chest.

“Come on. Let me pay. It’ll make me happy. You spent your day off here, fixing that car and dealing with Argo bothering you. And...and my awful karaoke. You didn’t have to. It’s only fair that I pay.” She ducked under his arm, twirling the keys around her finger.

“Don’t fight with me, Arthur. I always win.”

Clasping his hands together he feigned at an awww moment to be sarcastic.

"We're moving so fast! Our first argument," he said with a smirk on his face as he got into the passenger seat of the vehicle. "I spent my day off here because I got to be around you, and Argo...was just a bonus. Good kisser by the way. I'm interested in learning if his mom taught him. As for the karaoke I thought it was adorable."

He chuckled as the garage door opened and she started up the vehicle. Buckling his seatbelt he sat back in the seat just incase she was going to drive it like she stole it. Last thing he needed was to be calling off of work for whiplash.

Saria backed the Chevelle out of the garage and turned it around to start down the long driveway, “I haven’t kissed anyone since before I adopted him. He couldn’t have learned it from me.” She said with a small chuckle.

After a while she pulled the car onto the main road. Driving it after a while would take some getting used to, but it wasn’t difficult.

“So...where are we going? Price doesn’t matter. I’ve got it all covered.”

"Price doesn't matter if I pay either. Still wish you would just let me pay. I'm the one who asked you out after all," he replied.

He was nervous with her driving at first. This car had a lot of muscle for someone who hadn't driven something like this in a while. He could sense as she was getting more refamiliarized with the vehicle though and his tension eased.

"I was thinking somewhere nice and romantic. A little pricier than a family restaurant but plenty of food for the price."

He frowned over at her as she was driving down the road.

"Could you please just let me pay? I know you want to thank me for fixing your car up but I've already had a great day being around you and the boys. Between that and you saying yes to the date is thanks enough for me. I don't get out much so anyone voluntarily agreeing to spend time in my company is a rare gift. You even more so just because you are you."

“You’ve already done so much for me today. I should pay. It’s only fair.”

Saria tapped her fingers against the steering wheel as she drove, “I don’t go out much either. I’m always home unless I have to go out to the store or take the boys somewhere.”

“I always pay people back no matter if they want me to or not. It’s just the way I was raised. My parents are disappointed as is, and paying would make me feel better about it.”

Arthur groans and over dramatically rolls his eyes.

"You had to use a guilt trip huh?" he replied with a smirk. "I'm joking. I'm joking. Please don't take offense. But I guess after an explanation like that I'd be an asshole if I still argued against you."

He chuckled as they made their way down the road.

"It's an admirable trait to have. Not wanting to owe anyone anything. It means not only are you fiercely independent but you aren't one of the schiesters that are always asking for money and never paying people back. There's too many of them in the world as is."

He looked out the window watching the scenery pass by.

"And if your boys could talk I'm sure they would tell you how much they love their fur mom and how proud they are of you. On a side note I seem to be happier just knowing you."

Then he heard a voice. Checking the scenery he looked outside first then to Saria to see if she heard it. Looks like she hasn't. That was a relief in and of itself. Glancing to the back seat of the car he sees a woman in ethereal form that looks like Aphrodite.

"Arthur. You and your mortal are in danger! Zeus saw the ring my husband crafted for me from your talons and flew into a jealous rage. Get somewhere his lightning bolts cannot reach as soon as you can."

With that the ethereal form disappeared and after a moment he took a deep breath just in time for them to be pulling into the parking lot of the restaurant they were going to for their date.

“I’ve been debt free for twenty seven years. I intend to stay that way.” Saria replied quietly. She was silent the rest of the drive to the restaurant, completely oblivious to whatever Arthur saw.

She parked the car once they had arrived at their destination. She had been to this restaurant a few times before to meet publishers who came to the area to speak with her. No dates had taken place there, but she hadn’t bothered in forever.

“Alright...we’re here.” She said, taking the keys out of the ignition. Saria paused momentarily, “God I love this car. I really appreciate you fixing it up.”

Smirking over at her as she shut off the vehicle he got out first and rushed over to open her door for her.

"I'm not God but I'm sure he appreciates your gratitude," he stated, closing her door once she was out of the vehicle.

Offering her his arm he continued to smile as he watched her. Occasionally he would look around to determine if he could notice anything strange or supernatural occurences that might be signs of Zeus coming after him or Saria. He didn't see anything as of yet but that didn't mean that the greek deity who was almost known for creating jealousy and rage wouldn't try something eventually.

Walking up to the building with her he held the door open for her at the entrance as well before following her inside. Damn Zeus for even attempting to ruin what should be a very happy time right now. He should be able to enjoy Saria's company worry-free but all because Arthur had agreed to help someone that went and bragged about it he was now on the greek god's radar.

“I wasn’t talking to god. I was talking to you.” Saria locked the car behind them and followed him inside.

They were seated at a booth not far from the door. The lights were dimmed and quiet music played in the background. People chatted quietly, occasionally laughing at a joke someone else in their party told.

“It’s a nice place. I haven’t been in a while.” She said, flipping through the menu, “Have you ever been here?”

"I know silly. I was being sarcastic," he replied to her. "And you're very welcome beautiful."

Once they got to their table he smiled across the table at her before the waiter brought them menus. He picked his up and glanced around the room quick to look for anyone he recognized just to make certain Zeus wasn't about to attack them at any given moment. The more he thought about it the more aggravated he became. He did his best to hide it from Saria however. He wanted her to be able to enjoy this and not think he was some sort of psycho.

"It does seem pretty nice. You've been here before? I don't think I have ever been to this particular restaurant. Maybe you could recommend me something? I'm too busy just enjoying your company."

“Well their pasta is good. That’s pretty much the only thing I eat here.” Saria scanned the menu and soon decided on something she knew she would enjoy, “I’m probably going to get tetrazzini.”

When she looked up she noticed his agitation. She cocked a brow, “Are you alright?” She asked quietly, putting her menu down, “You look kind of nervous.”

It was pretty obvious he was trying to hide whatever emotion he was feeling, but she had two adult dogs who acted like puppies. She always knew when something was wrong of if they had gotten into something they shouldn’t have.

"Sounds like I'll be getting some pasta then. Maybe a good lasagna. Haven't had that in a while," he muttered.

At her mentioning that he looked nervous he put the menu down on the table and looked across the table at her.

"My apologies. It's just been so long since I've been on a date. I'm more than a little worried that I might screw something up."

Rubbing his eyes he set up an extra-sensory area so that he would be able to sense as soon as Zeus would be in close proximity. Sighing upon completing said task he looked back to her again, hoping and praying that he wasn't being off-putting to her. And hopefully she didn't know he was lying about exactly how nervous he was and the source of it. How was he supposed to explain to her that he had pissed off a deity that would now want to tan both of their hides? Giving her a smile he slid the menu to the edge of the table.

"I think I've made up my mind. I'm going to get the four cheese lasagna. You said you're getting the tetrazzini? Sounds like that would be delicious as well."

“No it’s fine. I highly doubt you’ll screw anything up. Don’t be nervous.”

Saria slid her menu to the side. The waiter soon came to the table and took their order, also taking the menus when he left.

“So...how are you liking your book?” She asked, sitting back in the seat, “Close to finishing it?”

A grin played at her lips. She loved to hear people talk about her work no matter good or bad criticism. It helped her better understand her audience and improve her writing. A couple new books had been the result of listening to her readers.

"Actually I'm only a little over half way through the book but I am thoroughly enjoying it thus far. I can't wait to see what happens next."

He gives her a smile across the table.

"Like hearing your readers' opinions on your books? I could see how that would be useful. Sort of like a good yelp review on the services we provide at the garage I guess? Now that I've discovered your book however I'm afraid I'll have to find the rest in order to compare. Usually nothing compares to the first one. It's what helps you set your standards for the rest of a series. It will be interesting to see if your books blow that theory out of the water. I'm certain if you read that you've experienced that before as well?"

“It’s like you can read my mind.” Saria gave a small chuckle.

“Knowing what people like about my writing helps a lot. I try to write something that everyone can enjoy. It’s impossible to please everyone, but it doesn’t stop me from trying.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back