• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Dragons in Our Midst

Saria buckled her seatbelt and sat back, rubbing the bridge of her nose. Words couldn’t string themselves together. Was there even a proper way to ask these questions?

“What are you?”

Might as well get right to the point.

Deep down she didn’t want to know. She wanted this all to be a dream. She wanted to wake up to Cobalt and Argo waiting to be fed. This was too much. It didn’t even seem like reality. Still, she asked her question.

"A man that is greatly infatuated with you Saria," he replied giving her a hopeful look that his suck-up comment might ease at least a little bit of her tension. "You deserve the truth and I can give you some as the least of what I owe you for even agreeing to go on a date with me."

Sighing he thought for a moment, attempting to figure out where to begin. He wouldn't give her the whole story from the beginning because eons of life would take too long and she would fall asleep on him before he could get halfway through. Best to just outright answer her immediate question as simply as possible.

"I am a dragon. One of the eldest, if not the eldest alive. As such there are even deities that I might pre-date. Being a supernatural creature I don't require worship to maintain my level of power like a deity would. They need people to believe in them and worship them in order to be actual gods. That man that attacked the restaurant was coming after me. He was one of these gods. Zeus as a matter of fact. The king of the Greek deities. He was probably in a jealous rage because I helped out this guy with a gift for his wife. You see dragons are very guarded when it comes to anything associated with them especially parts of their bodies, even their talons. Any part of a dragon holds great power and has multiple uses. Old thunderbolt was angry that I gave something to my friend here when he asked and not him."

Looking over to her he checked to ensure that she was following along so far.

"You see being a dragon I've been approached by many a deity and preternatural being asking for talons, scales, fangs, basically every part of my body has been requested at one time or another. You alright?"

Last edited:
“No. No I’m not. I’m not alright.”

Saria took a slow breath and leant back against the headrest. All she could do was stare out the window. Words couldn’t describe what she was thinking. This was impossible.

“Dragons aren’t real.”

Chills went down her spine when she spoke. God it was so unbelievable. There were no dragons. No gods on earth. That was all in old stories or myths.

If it were true, and deep down she felt it was, was she now a target? Did the ‘gods’ now target her because she was associated with Arthur and the man who claimed to be an old friend of his?

"I'm sorry Saria. I never meant for you to get involved in the supernatural part of my life. I've been laying pretty low these last few centuries as a poor auto mechanic who didn't really have anything to his name and didn't socialize much. But when I met you I felt that I absolutely had to at least introduce myself. Things only advanced from there. I don't regret meeting you but if you would rather I never speak to or see you again I will fully understand. I can even wipe your memory of it if you like."

Folding his arms in front of him he looked up to Hephaestus who was driving them back towards the restaurant where she would be able to get into her car and drive off at least.

"However, if you would rather I prove to you that I'm not making this all up we would have to go somewhere secluded with a great deal of space. I could prove to you that I am in fact a dragon. The choice is up to you. Say the words and I could travel back in time, pissing off a few powerful people in the process mind you, and make it so that we had never met and the whole Zeus incident never happened. Or I could have Hephaestus here take us to a safe spot where I could show you my transformed state."

“Its hard to believe it. I’ve only known you for a couple of days and you throw this onto me. It really sounds like a lie.”

Her voice was much quieter than before. She sounded tired, perhaps even a tad bit frustrated. Curling up in bed seemed to appealing now more than ever. The day had already gone on too long.

“ I’ll just take your word for it. I don’t want proof. Not now. All I want is time to process this. I don’t know how much time it’ll take.” She paused for a moment and drummed her nails on her arm, “I’d hate to never speak to you again. I’m just afraid all of this will cause me to be killed or something.”

"I would never allow that to happen Saria. It's odd to say I know when we haven't even completed our first date but I feel protective over you. For some reason my instinct urges me to wrap you up in my wings and defend you like any other dragon would their horde of treasures."

Smiling nervously over towards her the fact that she wasn't immediately asking for the memory wipe or time travel was a plus. Not to mention she didn't try jumping from the moving car to get away from all of the craziness.

"I can't guarantee that other beings won't appear but so long as you're with me there aren't many that could pose any serious threat."

“I better not get killed because one of your gods are butthurt over something. I have dogs I need to take care of.”

Saria flocked a piece of purple hair out of her eyes and looked out the window, already holding her car keys. All she wanted to do was go home and sit with her boys. They were her comfort.

“It would be terrible for them to not understand why mommy didn’t come home.”

As dark as that statement was, it served to get her point across. If she were to be associated with a situation like this, she wanted to make sure it was safe. She was far from stupid.

"I would do everything in my power to assure that nothing like that happens Saria. You have my word on that," he quickly rebutted.

Looking away from her down to the floor of the car he was only forced to look up when Hephaestus pulled into the parking lot of the restaurant where he car was still sitting. Getting out of the vehicle he rushed over to her side to open the door for her.

"I understand if you don't want to hear from me after this. You know where to find me if you do want to talk."

Watching without saying another word he looked on as she got into her vehicle and he closed the door for her.

Saria rolled the window down after she started the car, “Aren’t you coming with me? You left your motorcycle at my place.”

By now it was way past her bedtime. It wasn’t like it was a rare occurrence for her to stay up later than she should. She had a personal deadline to meet after all.

“If you want to get it another time, that’s fine. I just didn’t want to let you forget about it.”

Blinking for a moment with a surprised expression on her face he turned back to Hephaestus with a wave.

"Guess I got a ride Hephaestus. Thanks for all your help tonight. I appreciate it. Let me know if and when you and Aphrodite ever have some whippersnappers. I'll be happy to donate towards presents for them."

Getting in the passenger seat of her vehicle he buckled his seat belt and waited for her to take off towards her place. Looking out the window as the car began to move he felt it best to remain quiet unless she asked any further questions of him.

Saria was silent for most of the drive. She was scared to death just thinking of all the things that could happen. They could happen in her mind anyway. It was unreal.

“Is there anything else I need to know before something worse happens?”

By then she was already pulling into her long driveway. Not much longer until she could be settled down in comfy pajamas, nestled in between her living balls of fluff. She knew they would be happy to see her.

"I don't know what else to say," he replies counting off things on his fingers. "I'm a dragon. I'm extremely ancient and powerful. Some gods don't like me because I refuse to do them any favors. If they know that I'm involved with you they might come after you."

Pondering for a moment.

"That's about all I can think of Saria. Unless you have any other questions."

“I have none at the moment.”

Saria parked the car and turned the engine off, getting out and locking it once Arthur had gotten out as well. She could already hear Cobalt and Argo whining inside. Before anymore words were exchanged, she walked up to the door and opened it. Her two clouds met her with their tails wagging.

Watching as the two dogs greeted her eagerly at the door he smiled as she made her way inside to let them out. Poor boys probably had their legs crossed all this time, which only made him feel more guilty of course. Why had he been so selfish as to get a mortal involved in his twisted up life? It was the last thing she needed or wanted, he was certain of that.

Sighing, he reached into his pocket for his keys and began making his way over towards his bike. It was the only reason she tolerated him in her vehicle after all of the revelations tonight. It was awfully kind of her. He had known females over the years that would have left him at the police station and it would have been on him or Hephaestus to get his property back which sometimes would have been damaged before he could get to it.

Swinging his leg over his bike he looked back at the house once more.

"Have a good life Saria. You boys take good care of your mom, better than I could. I'd only draw attention to her and put her in danger. It was silly of me to think that I could have a happy life with anyone."

Putting his helmet on he turned on the radio and started it. Revving it a few times he switched it into first gear and began to take off. Chances were the more distance he put between her and himself the better off she would be. It would kill him not getting to see her and talk to her especially after being able to do so prior to this. The memory of her would be in his mind for the remainder of his existence, which would be a long one. Rounding the corner he slowly passed by her house to get one last glimpse to etch it and possibly her into his memory that much further if it was possible. She already permeated all of his thoughts. It would be hard to think of much else for a while.

Even after being let out of the house, Argo didn’t follow Cobalt like he usually did. He merely sat and watched Arthur. The dog only got up when he had left. His gaze turned to Saria, who was standing in the doorway waving Arthur off.

“What?” Saria looked down at Argo. Those chocolate brown eyes seemed to bore holes into her, “Are you mad at me?”

When he got up and ran around to the backyard, Saria finally went inside. She needed time to process this entire ordeal. Hours ago she didn’t think any of this existed. Now it had been pitched at her like a fastball. It was funny how things worked out that way.

As he drove home Arthur was extremely upset as well as aggravated. He was so wrapped up in his feelings that he didn't notice at first when the weight on the bike increased. Stopping at a red light he turned his head to see Loki, the Nordic god of Mischief sitting as a woman would a horse centuries ago.

"Is there are reason you're riding bitch with me Loki? I'm not really in the mood for any pranks or illusions right now regardless of who the victim is."

"You would do well to watch your tone you oversized newt! I am here because I wanted to let you know how much I enjoyed the entertainment tonight," the norse god replied with a chuckle. "Light is green by the way."

Gritting his teeth Arthur turns his eyes back to the road and took off continuing the trip back to his apartment.

"Are you actually admitting that you're the one that sent incited Zeus against me? You do know that those are fighting words correct? I don't care how many of your family you get to fight with you out of pity and false familial ties you adopted son of a popsicle. You would do well to remember who it is you speak to. You saw how easily I took care of the king of the greeks? Your father and brother would fare no better with or without his hammer and Odin's second eye. You keep trying to toy with me and I shall hand deliver the eyeball from your skull to your father for his use and feed your body to the Midgard Serpent."

Stopping fast he threw the deity ahead of the bike as he skidded expertly to a stop. Revving his engine he released the clutch and started forward aimed directly at Loki.

"You're mad! You cannot take on a pantheon lizard!"

Rising to his feet Loki disappeared at the last second as Arthur continued forward to resume the journey to his apartment. Grumbling he thought to himself aloud.

"I guess I better pay the nords a visit before they think that I'm actively looking to declare war."

When he finally made it home he walked in the door exhausted and immediately felt the presence inside. Putting up his pocket dimension the same way he had for Hephaestus he walked in further to see Loki sitting on his couch waiting for him.

"That was rather brash what you just did. You can be certain I will be telling father about this."

"Tell one-eyed willie he can visit anytime Loki. My house is open to him for now. Just not you so be gone. I've had a long day and I just want to freshen up and get some rest."

"Are you seriously willing to wage war on our entire pantheon just because of a prank? There was a time when we were as brothers and both partook in the pranks with glee."

"That was before you endangered the lives of the only person I actually care about and almost incited a war between me and another pantheon Loki!"

Usually working on her book would clear her mind. Sometimes music would help. Maybe TV. Nothing was doing any good. All of her thoughts were eating her alive and she couldn’t stop it.

Surely a hot shower would work, right? Nope. A cold glass of ice water? Not a chance. Not even the boys made her feel better.

Saria eventually broke and began searching the internet for articles or blog posts regarding dragons. Needless to say, there were very few of them. A few pages gave her links to several sites full of artwork or short stories.

She didn’t know if it was real life or purely fiction.

It felt like an endless search for answers, and in a way it was. Seconds turned to minutes and minutes to hours. She found absolutely nothing on the subject. There were no reference books online, no encyclopedia entries. Even conspiracy theory pages were clear of anything regarding dragons.

Loki chuckled at Arthur's anger.

"So you admit that you're rather fond of this human girl? Now I know how to get under your skin whenever I'm bored Arty."

Arthur moved so quick that Loki had no time to react as he rushed forward and picked the god up by the scruff of his shirt single-handedly, glaring deadly daggers at the trickster god of mischief.

"You ever harm her no amount of divinity will save you from my wrath. Your torture for the rest of eternity will make Prometheus' pale in comparison. You think your father and Zeus are the cruelest nightmares that anyone can conjure? I am the thing that goes bump in the night that makes mortals and gods alike wet themselves in fear! You hear me Loki!?"

As he lost his temper his claws and fangs grew and a fire ignited in his eyes, his pupils slitting to those of a cat's or snake's. Shaking the god he threw him back onto the couch after glaring his point into the hybrid's soul. Pointing a taloned hand at him he growled his next words.

"Get out of my house and if you know what is best for your continued existence stay away from the girl. You even harm her dogs in any way and I will know. Your father and brother will be the least of your worries. Go quickly....before I decide to rip your throat out with my teeth."

Cobalt and Argo had settled down around Saria, unable to sleep because of her constant stirring. She had finally tucked her laptop away under her bed, but she couldn’t force herself to sleep.

Finally, she grabbed her phone off her nightstand and started typing.

‘Hey. Sorry, I know it’s late and you’re probably asleep, so I’ll make this quick. The next time you’re free, I’d like to talk a bit. Just to clear things up. Just let me know when. Gnight.’

She hit send and stared at her screen for a moment. Maybe she would be able to sleep now that she had said something.

Putting the phone back onto the nightstand, Saria pulled her blankets up and rolled onto her side, having to throw her arm over Cobalt. The dog’s tail thumped against the bed as her fingers scratched lightly behind his fluffy ears.

“Goodnight boys.” Saria reaches down to pet Argo’s head before closing her eyes and falling asleep.

Smirking rather smugly Loki stood and straightened himself out after being treated so roughly.

"The whole pantheon will be on alert for you to even poke your head in our domain due to that little outburst. You show even a toe or talon and it will be a declaration of war and all of Asgard will be there to jump you. Twould be a shame for the last true dragon to become extinct."

Arthur clenched his fists to resist pummeling the smug smirk off of Loki's face right here and now.

"You're lucky that I respect your father and mother enough to not send them home your corpse right now Loki. In. Pieces." he added each word to emphasize that Loki wouldn't enjoy the experience.

Thinking to himself he knew he could take any single deity but there were certain elder gods that would give him trouble whether it was one on one or an entire pantheon at once would definitely put him at a disadvantage. He was a one dragon army but an entire pantheon of deities had powers most enemies did not. He would prefer to avoid such a situation if he could avoid it. As soon as Loki would leave he would summon Odin to warn him about the trouble that his son would be about to get in should the trickster attempt anything.

Glaring the mischief maker down he refused to avert his gaze for even a moment even when his cell went off signaling that he had gotten a message. As soon as the god disappeared he scanned the apartment with all of his senses to verify that the disappearance was no illusion. As soon as the absence was verified he pulled out his phone to see who had messaged him. Flipping it open he saw Saria's name on the screen and quickly read the message. Looking at the time he figured she would probably be asleep by now. Messaging her back a response he figured she would wait til the morning to look at it.

His fingernails receding from talons to normal length once again he began typing, "You have nothing to apologize for. I'm free in the evenings after work each day and pretty much all day whenever I'm off. Don't get out much. Good night. Pleasant dreams."

Clicking send he plugged his phone into its charger and stood in front of the couch. Having not dispelled the pocket dimension he looked up towards the ceiling and spoke aloud.

"Odin AllFather! It's your favorite scaley pain-in-the-ass calling! I need to talk to you about your son and the implications of his actions!"

Appearing the next moment with a rather grim expression on his bearded face the one-eyed king of the Nordic pantheon managed to smirk after a few tense moments.

"What is it you called me here for Arthur? It's been at least an eon since you called me last. What is this about my son?"

"Your adoptive son Loki. He's threatened people I care for which you know that that list is extremely short. At the moment there are maybe half a dozen. He basically has banished me from stepping foot in Asgard and stated that he would sic all of you on me should I step foot in your realm or come for him should he harm her."

Odin had to smirk and folded his arms akimbo as he crossed the room to sit on Arthur's couch. Arthur allowed it only as a sign of respect to the elder god.

"I understand you love your boys but as we both know they're far from perfect. I still remember when Thor got so drunk eons ago and thought that I in my dragon form was the Midgard Serpent and attacked me with Mjolnir. Loki now threatens the only mortal I care about and as you know me AllFather I am not one to sit idly by and let a loved one be threatened no matter how mild."

"As you know Arthur Clefspeare I am very fond of my boys most days. Thor is my pride and joy and Loki is my own son as if I created him myself. I would be forced to initiate a blood hunt for you should you slay my son. On the other hand I sympathize with your plight. You have my word that Loki will not harm your girl or her two pups. And should he attempt to go against my edict we will punish him accordingly. You are welcome to come and witness such should it perchance occur but my son is many things but suicidal is not one of them. Do we have an arrangement?"

"I apologize all father but my rage would not be satiated unless I struck the finishing blow to whomever would cause her harm. I would but ask that should he ignore your decree that I get to be his punisher should such a thing be required."

"I will not let you slay one of my own Arthur. In doing so it would make me look weak."

"Your children and followers know that Odin is the most powerful and wise of all in the realm of Asgard. They wouldn't dare a coup regardless. That I wouldn't allow my mono-eyed friend."

"I appreciate your fealty my scaley-hided friend," Odin replied with a smirk. "Loki has been a nuisance many a time over the centuries. As such I wouldn't mind you giving him a thromping so long as he survives the experience."

Odin paused in his speech for a few moments posing as if in thought. Turning back to Arthur after moments of pondering speaks again.

"I haven't done this in a while but how about a boon for your significant other and her furry companions? They will have my protection against anything supernatural so long as I will it. Should anyone attempt to harm them they will have to face my daughter Hela for their punishment. Sound fair enough?"

Arthur was still hesitant to accept. He didn't like relying on gods for anything. They always had ulterior motives that he didn't like. He wondered to himself what Odin had up his sleeve with this proposal. Coming to terms that Odin simply wouldn't just let him kill Loki should the mischief maker attempt anything against Arthur or his loved ones he shook Odin's outstretched hand to signify they had a deal before Arthur bid Odin adieu and got ready for bed, collapsing the pocket dimension so that he could relax and sleep.

Like always, the boys were quick to wake Saria when their food bowls had been empty long enough. There really was no need for the alarm on her phone. So, the day began with dog food being poured into two bowls and placed in the far corner of the kitchen.

Saria had a headache from the moment she got out of bed. Probably from exhaustion. She certainly didn’t get enough sleep the previous night. That was alright. Coffee existed for a reason.

Heading back upstairs and retrieving her cell, Saria read and responded to Arthur’s text.

‘How about this evening? I have to take Cobalt and Argo to the groomer’s, so I’ll be out anyway.’

She hit send and pulled her laptop out from under her bed. Might as well write a tad while she had time to.

Her current draft was nearly done. After that came revising. She had attempted to stop and read through her progress for that day every time she sat down to work in hopes it would shorten the editing process. It wouldn’t hurt to read over the entire thing again before sending it off to a publisher.

Waking up at his phone alarm Arthur got up and dressed for work. Hopping on the bike he made his way to the garage thinking about the previous night. There was no other way to describe it other than one hell of a night. Before even getting off of his bike he took his helmet off and looped his arm through it. Opening up his phone he responded to her message "Sounds good to me. What time would you like to meet? Heading in to work now. I'll check my phone on my lunch break."

Walking into the office his boss looked at him dumbfounded. Having seen the news reports from last night he was flabbergasted to see Arthur in his business.

"A...Arty? You're here?"

Arthur looked up with a sigh, nodding yes.

"What the hell happened last night? You're mug is all over the news!" his boss responded while taking his helmet to set it behind the counter.

"Crazy guy came into the restaurant shooting the place up. I stopped him," Arthur replied, unphased as he grabbed his jumpsuit to protect his clothes so he could get to work.

"You stopped him, huh? Imagine throwing someone through a double-paned external window would do that. That's one helluva throw Arty. You're a big guy and so was he but damn. Anyway...you alright Mr. Hero?"

Nodding to his boss a yes once again he asked what the priorities were for today. The boss gave him his itinerary and he got straight to work, wanting to leave on time today. He powered through multiple jobs while making sure that they were done to the best of his ability. He refused to sacrifice quality for quantity especially when it came to his work. At his lunch break he went for a bite to eat and was bombarded by reporters that wanted to get an interview with him to follow up from the story last night. Sighing all he would tell them is no comment and finished his meal. They followed him all the way back to the garage and he checked his phone as he was walking to see if he had gotten a response from Saria.

Her chores consumed a good portion of the day, but she didn’t mind it. She wouldn’t have much to do for the rest of the week if all went smoothly. When everything was finished, Saria sat on the back porch and checked her phone.

“I’ll have to pick them up around five. Anytime after that would work for me. Hope you don’t mind if they tag along.”

She hit send and sat back in the swing, staring out into the woods surrounding her home. It was peaceful all year. From spring thunderstorms to light snowfalls in winter, it was beautiful. Animals came and went, occasionally getting into something they weren’t meant to. Saria didn’t mind though. It came with living in the woods.

There was a list somewhere in an old notebook of projects she wanted to do around the house. None had been completed yet. She continued to tell herself she would find it when she had time. A pool, a bigger garden, maybe even a koi pond. For a short while she also wanted to have a treehouse built.

It was all so she would have something to do. Yes she had Cobalt and Argo to keep her company, but what else? As someone who didn’t have a traditional career, she ‘worked’ on her own time from her home. And when she wasn’t, there wasn’t much to do. Sure she could go out or travel, however that couldn’t pull her in. It wasn’t as fascinating as watching fish swim or caring for different types of flowers or growing her own food.

Soon her alarm went off on her phone, letting her know she needed to get ready to take the boys to their appointment. Saria had gotten so wrapped up in her own thoughts she had lost track of time. With that, she went back inside to shower and get dressed.

Seeing her response he smirked a bit at the thought of the two large dogs accompanying them during their get-together. Wanting to reply back before going back into work he began typing and sent her his response back. "Sounds fine. I should probably clean up a little bit after work before meeting you anyway. Look forward to seeing all three of you."

Flipping his phone closed and shutting it off he stowed it into one of his saddle bags on his bike before heading back into the garage. Handing his boss his helmet he put his jumpsuit back on and got back to work right where he had left off. The remainder of his shift went by pretty uneventfully other than reporters that had followed him back to the garage and were trying to get in to see him but his boss was running interference. Hopefully the old man didn't say anything too outrageous. Arthur didn't want the notoriety. Granted it was the talk of the town but he always did his best to keep his head low. That fight had been the first time he had used that much power in a long time.

When his shift was done and he had gotten the last car finished he took off his jumpsuit and walked back into the office area where his boss was.

"Thanks for running interference boss. Hopefully you didn't make up any outlandish stories like I'm Batman?"

His boss appeared dumbfounded yet once again.

"Arty? DId you just make a joke? You feelin alright kid?"

Arthur smirked as he retrieved his helmet and nodded to the shop owner. Waving to him signaling "See ya tomorrow," Arthur donned his helmet and made his way out to his bike. He would need to get home and shower so that he didn't stink like sealed in b.o. and car fluids. Starting up the bike he began the ride home. While stopped at a red light he retrieved his cell phone and turned it on before resuming his movement when the light turned green. Upon finally making it home he headed inside and picked out a clean outfit before hopping in the shower. Emerging approximately 10 minutes later he dried off and dressed himself before checking his phone for the time. It was just about five fifteen so he decided to text her "On my way."

Getting on his bike once again he donned his helmet and drove over to her place. Upon arrival he could hear the dogs barking. Checking his phone again for the time he saw that it had taken him til five thirty to get here. Hopefully it was enough time for her to be comfortable and situated after getting back in the door. Taking off his helmet he knocked at the door which only illicited more howls and barking from the two dogs inside. Chuckling he was tempted to keep knocking just to rile them up more.

Several hours later, Saria was back home with her freshly groomed dogs. A trim did them well. Their fur was nice and clean, cut just enough to make them look presentable. Like every other client, the boys were each given an accessory that would clip to their collars. Sometimes it would be a bandana, other times it was a bow tie. Today, however, it was a fabric rosette. Naturally they had their respective colors.

They were certainly proud of their makeovers. Both of them happily pranced around the house, standing tall and trying their best to hog Saria’s attention. Needless to say, it was working. She wasn’t paying much attention to the engine outside her home, and only noticed when Cobalt and Argo stood at attention and began their chorus of barks and howls.

“Can you move?” Saria asked, looking down at the dog sitting in front of the door, “Cobalt. Please.”

The older dog shuffled to the side to Saria could open the door. Argo wagged his tail when he saw Arthur, but remained beside Saria. He had to be a good guard dog after all. Cobalt was less than enthused like always.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back