• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Dragons in Our Midst

Smiling awkwardly he looked to the dogs first and lastly at her. He was a little nervous about this visit after all so he was finding it a little more difficult than usual to maintain eye contact.

"Hello boys. Hello Saria. May I come in?"

Waiting for her to answer him he knelt down to greet Cobalt who was the more eager of the dogs.

"Hi buddy. I missed you too. You look good today. You got a date or something?"

He knew his polite antics would only give away more than before that he was anxious but in greeting her dogs who were so close to her heart he was hoping for it to help break the ice after all that had happened last night.

Saria stepped to the side, “Make yourself at home.” She said quietly.

It wasn’t hard to notice the change in his demeanor, but it was understandable. The night before had been more than eventful. Still, she wanted to put it behind them. Who else has the opportinity to befriend a dragon?

“I think they missed you.” She commented, watching the dogs, “Our groomer always gives a little accessory to each of her clients. As you can see, she knows their colors.”

Smiling up to her before looking back to the dogs he stepped inside and let her close the door behind him.

"Well your groomer does a great job. The boys look very handsome."

Turning back to her and rubbing the back of his neck he gave her an awkward smile.

"And you look beautiful as usual of course Saria."

Looking around the house to see if she had trusted him to meet him alone he put his arm back down and offered her to go sit down with him in the living room or wherever she would be most comfortable.

"Is there anything in particular you would like to talk about or know more about?"

“Thanks.” Saria dramatically flicked her hair out of her face, “I try.” She joked.

When she sat down in one of the living room chairs, she sighed, “Well, there are quite a few things I want to know.” She explained. Cobalt trotted over and jumped into the chair, draping himself over Saria’s lap and both arm rests.

“You don’t have to answer anything if you don’t want to. I understand how some of it may be personal.” She slid one arm under Cobalt’s neck and scratched under his collar.

"It's been a VERY long life Saria. While there are certain things that I've survived that I wouldn't want to talk about due to still dealing with the trauma and consequences all these centuries later the majority of my life is an open book to you so ask away."

He smiled across the room towards her waiting for her first question. He figured it would probably be a doozy that would require a decent amount of explanation.

“How long of a life have you lived though? Like, what is your earliest memory?” She asked, ”When I think dragons, my mind goes to medieval times. Is that accurate?”

“Or, do you age like a real human, and eventually be reborn?” Maybe she was thinking too hard about something so seemingly difficult. Oh well. It would be answered soon anyway.

Thinking about her questions he pondered for a moment.

"I've lived for longer than some immortals. I've lost count really to the exact year but I know it's over 11000 years. There was a war between deities before time was measured called the Primus Bellum. I won't go into too much detail about it but I fought on the side to keep order and uphold the laws of the Source which is where I get my powers from. Hence why I was able to fight off Zeus. I'm more ancient than he and even more experienced. I grew up to adulthood by the time I was 2 but once there I don't age."

Pausing to think on her second question he thinks how best to answer her so that she can comprehend all that he is throwing at her.

"If I die I stay dead pretty much. It's just that I'm really hard to kill."

“Seems like a sad life.” Saria said, twisting her ring around her finger, “Being immortal anyway. Having to watch friends and family die around you...I can’t imagine what it’s like.”

“Speaking of family, do you have any? Brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles? And if you weren’t just created from dust, how were you even born?”

"I've avoided a great deal of heartache by avoiding people until you came along. I couldn't stay away," he responded to her comment about his life being sad.

"I was the original dragon that was created by the Source. One day the source was bored, thought the world needed giant scaly lizards that breathe fire, or whatever it was thinking and out I came into being. The ones that came after me came out as eggs and I did my best to look after as many as I could until they could live on their own. Dragons however have a different definition of family than humans. But in your sense of the word I guess you could say that I have no parents. Just a select few of my kind that I've fought along side that I would consider brothers or sisters."

Pausing to see how she was grasping everything he blinked with a curious expression as he watched her take in all of the information.

"Dragons pre-date man originally. Back when you were hunched over knuckle-draggers we did our best to watch from a distance as you slowly evolved into the modern man. I'm not saying you evolved from apes but I think the theory was entertaining. All of us had a chuckle when that one came out. Then when you started crafting ways to kill to survive and eat we had to go even further into hiding and be more careful about how we went about eating because now the ultimate challenge for your kind was to slay us. As your technology advanced our numbers dwindled. I don't know how many of us are actually left throughout the world but it's more than likely a small fraction of our original numbers."

“Why haven’t you used all of this knowledge to correct history books? Scientific journals? You could confirm or even create new theories. If you know how humans evolved, why haven’t you published something?”

She rested her chin on her hand and fiddled with Cobalt’s collar, “What do you think it would take for the collective human population to believe in dragons older than...well...pretty much all we know?”

“I’m sure if the remaining dragons stood together to reveal the truth, you would gain a following and perhaps eventually it would become everyone’s reality.” She paused and frowned, “Sounds a bit like a cult, but that’s not what I mean.”

"Because of a rule made eons ago. We are to observe. There are consequences to every reaction we make. Say if I had killed that man that attacked us at the restaurant. There are severe consequences to killing a god, especially one in Zeus' position. He is the most powerful of the greeks after all. One has to be able to absorb the powers released upon the destruction of the vessel otherwise the universe would be thrown out of balance and could possibly be destroyed in a variety of ways."

Scratching his chin at her question, he thinks on it for a moment before replying.

"Besides we could never get the others, if there are even a multitude left, to reveal themselves to humans ever again. Not after the culling that occurred all of those eons ago. Dragon kind could never trust human kind again."

Chuckling at her mention of a following and a cult, he quickly recovered.

"Well I definitely wouldn't want anyone wearing tacky robes and drinking poisonous punch if that's the idea going through your head."

It had been centuries since he had laughed out loud. It had been so long he wondered for a moment if that sound had really been him. What was it with this human girl that made him forget all of his hurt and negative history to the point that he could actually laugh?

“Drinking the kool-aid.” Saria gave a small chuckle. When he laughed, she looked up from the tags on Cobalt’s collar and smiled. Simply knowing a little bit about his past, she didn’t think he was able to feel that much joy. It was nice.

She wanted to ask about this ‘culling’ he mentioned. It would probably ruin the happy moment. She could put the pieces together easy enough. Humans certainly were unforgiving when it came to those different from them.

“So, if dragons can’t trust humans, or don’t care to rather, why are you telling me all of this? Why do you trust me with these secrets?” She questioned, genuinely curious, “What makes me different from someone you pass on the street?”

"Despite my better judgment I am trusting my instincts. As soon as I saw you something inside urged me to make a move. Your beauty might have helped my instincts in the fight against my judgment."

He couldn't resist but to smirk at his own flattery. He was definitely out of practice with this and she at least seemed to be less upset than he expected her to be which made him believe and hope that it was working. He wasn't so simple as to think he was going to get into her pants, that wasn't even his intention. He simply didn't want her to hate him after what had happened on their first date.

"It also helps that I'm not the most reclusive of my brood either. I've lived among mortals now for centuries. I still have the supernatural visit me on a regular basis though. It's rather annoying when you're trying to keep your weirdness a secret."

“I suppose that’s just life. Gods and goddesses bothering you. I can’t say I don’t feel bad for you. It seems tiring.”

Cobalt yawned and made an attempt to roll over on Saria’s lap. He failed of course. Still, the old dog found a way to get comfy and soon fell asleep.

“What do they want? These supernatural beings. Are you like, their therapist or something? Someone to ask for advice maybe?”

"Dragons are a rarity so they ask for anything from lending my power to a cause to alchemy ingredients such as my talons or scales. The problem with me giving up parts of my body, even if they seem minor, could be used in ancient magic to enslave me."

Smiling down at the sleepy dog as he laid down he turned back to her.

"It can get tiring especially with the more self-centered and any trickster deities. The trick is to ensure they know that if they screw with me that they and anything they care for is in for a world of hurt."

“Then why do you do it? Do you get anything out of these deals?” Saria frowned and rested her elbows on her canine’s shoulder, “I’m not an expert in magical deal making. In fact, deal making in general. Sounds like you’re getting cheated.”

“Seems as though there should be regulations of some sort. Some kind of law that prohibits what you can and cannot hand over to some deity. Don’t older, much stronger gods get pissed?”

"Earning favor with deities can be rather beneficial. Just because I'm powerful doesn't mean that I want to go about destroying any deity that annoys me. Tends to draw the ire of entire pantheons. As for older and stronger deities, they don't get much older than the ones that spawned me," he replied to her questions. "To me it depends on who is making the request and what it is they are requesting of course. Also how annoying they are being about it."

He smirked at the last bit as he looked up to make eye contact with her.

"For promising my alliance to a cause it depends on the cause. If I feel it's worth fighting for I'll participate."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back