Experiences Does anyone else play non-binary characters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldn't that depend on the character in question?
Perhaps, but I'd argue that a character whose entire identity revolves around their gender lacks development. It's great to see other traits and personal struggles shine through too.

This is mostly a “just wondering” type of thread, but I figured it’s a question worth bringing it up.

I have a character who is non-binary and they are one of my prized characters, but I can never seem to play as them much because everyone is looking for male or female characters. I’m just wondering if I’m like the only one or something.

I haven't considered doing this before because I don't think I would be able to portray a non-binary character in a way that is 100% realistic or respectable. I do continue to notice a variety of character sexual orientations but I can't say the same for gender identity. I would totally love to see more of them appear in stories though!

Perhaps, but I'd argue that a character whose entire identity revolves around their gender lacks development
I don't really get why people keep acting like a character's gender identity is either a small minute part of their personality or their sole personality trait and that there's no other alternatives.

I mean, there's degrees in hell ffs.

Wouldn't that depend on the character in question?
Perhaps, but I'd argue that a character whose entire identity revolves around their gender lacks development. It's great to see other traits and personal struggles shine through too.

I have to agree with Jannah. If your entire character revolves around their gender identity, that's a badly written character. That's like writing a vampire who's only schtick is the fact that they are a vampire.

I have to agree with Jannah. If your entire character revolves around their gender identity, that's a badly written character.
But again, there's a middleground between it being a small part of the character and their sole personality trait.

The facets of a sentient being are multitude. When you factor in everything that makes a person a person, a mere gender identity is a drop in the bucket. That is, unless they choose to fixate upon it. In which case, we are back to the idea that the fixation would be the point of the character/narrative.
Since we are comparing the two, take the actions of a cis character. How much do they fixate on their identity, versus how much of the story goes on regardless of it? Just apply that same dynamic to a NB character. Simple, yeah?

I've been in plenty of group RPs where the characters in play were of a diverse nature. Both in gender identifications and sexual orientation. The fields were in the characters sheets to be filled out. But to be honest, very little (if any) of it even came into factor in the storyline. That went for everyone, both the cis and the non-cis characters.

Last edited:
I haven't considered doing this before because I don't think I would be able to portray a non-binary character in a way that is 100% realistic or respectable. I do continue to notice a variety of character sexual orientations but I can't say the same for gender identity. I would totally love to see more of them appear in stories though!

This is generally why I only write cis characters. I have written gay characters despite not being gay, but I think that's a little easier since oftentimes it's not much different from any other sexual attraction. Since I'm asexual I'm already writing hetero attraction and romance from an outsider's perspective so I don't see how homosexual attraction would be any different.

Gender identity, on the other hand, has an entire psychological aspect behind it. It would be like writing a mentally ill character without knowing anything about the mental illness you're trying to portray. Unless you know the facts it's just not something that should be done.

Another point I'd like to make, or rather a question, is: Do you want the narrative to treat your Non-binary/Trans character like any other person? Or do you want special attention given to the fact that they are non-binary/Trans?

Because the first option means that you proceed in the storyline like everyone else. In this format, you should have no qualms incorporating the character into any given RP (that isn't restricted to strictly cis characters). Just follow the plot, make your choices. interact and bring up your quirks and such like anyone else. If a romantic interlude happens to ensue, good for you. If not... well, join the club. This is a cis problem as well. (personally, I hate romance RPs)

However, the second option means that you don't actually want to include your character in a regular RP. You want the RP to focus on them. In a 1x1, this might be easily achieved with the right partner. But in a group setting this is not only unrealistic, but selfish.

cis people are lucky enough to be born in a body and identity they 100% feel comfortable with and that’s why you don’t see them fixating on it: it’s normal.

while there is a point w the “a character whose only personality trait is their gender identity becomes boring” argument there’s nothing wrong w that esp if said character has only recently/haven’t yet come to terms w their identity ic bc it’s very likely they’ll be having dysphoria and internalised transphobia.

on top of that, transphobia (exists and it’s b a d (if op decides to exclude it from their rp world entirely that’s a different story) so if a character is clockable and gets harassed for their “apparent gender” u bet that won’t be taken well by the chara

at the end of the day if ur going/u want to play a character of a certain sexuality, race, gender, w a certain disability or mental illness...just do it justice bro.
doing some research isn’t that fucking difficult

The facets of a sentient being are multitude. When you factor in everything that makes a person a person, a mere gender identity is a drop in the bucket.
That's not really true for everyone. A person's gender identity, and the experiences they encounter as a result of it, can definitely play an important role in that person's personality.

Again, just to be 100% clear, not saying that you have to focus your entire character on their gender identity. Just that you don't have to restrict yourself to treating it as "a drop in the bucket" either.

That said, I've probably derailed this thread enough as it is. If you want to continue having this discussion, feel free to send me a pm.

cis people are lucky enough to be born in a body and identity they 100% feel comfortable with and that’s why you don’t see them fixating on it: it’s normal.

while there is a point w the “a character whose only personality trait is their gender identity becomes boring” argument there’s nothing wrong w that esp if said character has only recently/haven’t yet come to terms w their identity ic bc it’s very likely they’ll be having dysphoria and internalised transphobia.

If this is the case, then just put out an RP advert about your character coming to terms with their identity. Because if that's all the character has to offer, then that's all the RP can be about for them.

on top of that, transphobia (exists and it’s b a d (if op decides to exclude it from their rp world entirely that’s a different story) so if a character is clockable and gets harassed for their “apparent gender” u bet that won’t be taken well by the chara

Well, there are rules in place against OOC harassment. ICly, it's at the discretion of the GM as to how much character traits levied against them can fly... or some sites dont even allow this ICly. There is a simple solution to this, and it applies to irl as well. Don't interact with people who do not tolerate you. Clearly tag your character as such, and the peeps that are willing to RP with that character will obviously be okay with it. I honestly don't even understand the issue. I have been on many, many sites over the last 20 years of my roleplaying life. and in the last decade especially, there is not only a great tolerance for the LGBTQ community in RP, but a full open armed acceptance to it. The stigma died a long time ago.

at the end of the day if ur going/u want to play a character of a certain sexuality, race, gender, w a certain disability or mental illness...just do it justice bro.
doing some research isn’t that fucking difficult
If you are going to play a character with any significant and defining trait, place a tag in your character sheet or advert so that people know its a major factor. This will glean you the interactions from persons tolerant and interested in them, and also will turn away those tht don't like it.

Last edited:
Clearly tag your character as such, and the peeps that are willing to RP with that character will obviously be okay with it.
so ppl finna play transphobic characters now ? 😭 aight bruh go ahead

the “stigma” is still very much there :/ most of the ppl on rp sites are from the west where lgbtq+ is a lot more accepted than in the east

also u keep taking it to the extreme ??
i rlly like what this user said:
I don't really get why people keep acting like a character's gender identity is either a small minute part of their personality or their sole personality trait and that there's no other alternatives.

in a realistic modern society a persons gender still plays a significant role in their life.
whether someone wants to make an entire oc over that particular pivot or not is entirely up to the op and if someone thinks that make the character entirely unable to be interacted w then ur free to not rp w that person and tack it on their inability to portray trans characters well enough. if it’s a grp and the gm allows it then there’s no point in crying

there’s a lot more i could say on this but yh lol i’m gonna stop talking now bc this thread wasnt made for anyone to complain ab their rp preferences i’m sure there’s like 2 other ones for that

hm. a lot of this rhetoric is really flirting with blatant transphobia. it may be valuable to think introspectively and consider your aversion to including nb characters in a roleplay - educate yourself and respectfully ask questions.

so ppl finna play transphobic characters now ? 😭 aight bruh go ahead

the “stigma” is still very much there :/ most of the ppl on rp sites are from the west where lgbtq+ is a lot more accepted than in the east

also u keep taking it to the extreme ??

People play all kinds of characters, with all kinds of character traits. I have characters that are steampunk gutter trash drug addicts. I have lesbian cyborg intergalactic smugglers, I have teenage android psycho killers... I have no disillusions that there are characters with other unsavory traits. Bigotry isn't an uncommon mechanic to demonize an antagonistic character.

But this "issue" with having a character disliked because of their traits is like any other. For instance, I don't like playing with furries, I don't like the anime trope, and I don't like slice-of-life or superhero genres. So it could be surmised that some people don't like or are not comfortable playing against a NB character. In the same way that people have to respect your boundaries, you have to respect theirs.

People play all kinds of characters, with all kinds of character traits. I have characters that are steampunk gutter trash drug addicts. I have lesbian cyborg intergalactic smugglers, I have teenage android psycho killers... I have no disillusions that there are characters with other unsavory traits. Bigotry isn't an uncommon mechanic to demonize an antagonistic character.

But this "issue" with having a character disliked because of their traits is like any other. For instance, I don't like playing with furries, I don't like the anime trope, and I don't like slice-of-life or superhero genres. So it could be surmised that some people don't like or are not comfortable playing against a NB character. In the same way that people have to respect your boundaries, you have to respect theirs.
really not a fan of your concluding logic. a non binary person is a person, not a boundary.

I just made a thread on this very issue of bigoted characters. I have written bigoted characters in the past and it has led to people to make certain assumptions about me. It's fine if a person is not comfortable writing a story with bigoted characters. Those are boundaries I respect. However, I'm a firm believer in separating the art from the artist. I enjoy some art that was created by some pretty awful people because it's genuinely good art. That doesn't mean I endorse everything about the artist, though.

Murdergurl Murdergurl
i think you’re blurring the lines bw character vs player.
is the player not comf w playing against a nb character simply bc of their gender ?
bc if so that sounds a lot like what you were saying ab ppl’s focal point being a character’s gender

This thread has been locked. You are free to take the off-topic conversations to PM if you wish to continue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back