Do you prefer anime picture or a real picture in role plays?

Anime or real?

• Anime

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Real

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I like both, but I am more drawn to realistic drawings or cosplay pictures or photoshopped images or cartoons with all the facial features drawn out ( xD ).

As long as the person/character/drawing has a nose, I'm pretty happy ^.^

Most anime characters don't have noses (just lines representing their noses), so it is real hard for me to understand what they really look like. Do they have a pointy nose, round nose, small nose, crooked nose, ect. I don't know if it is a fetish of mine or something, but I NEED A NOSE DAMMIT! lol

Also, I rarely ever play straight up human characters, so I'd never pick a selfie of some random person >.<

I need an alien or elf or demon or something I could never be.

Example: Realistic Drawings

Example: Cosplay/Costume Pictures

Photoshopped Pictures

Cartoons

SachiGrl said:
Also, I rarely ever play straight up human characters, so I'd never pick a selfie of some random person >.<

I need an alien or elf or demon or something I could never be.
Also, I forgot to mention that if I do happen to be a human.. I usually pick out models or (people who seem like models).

I'm a little conflicted with this... I'm not generally fan of anime (got nothing against it either, though) and I could never use anime pictures for my OCs. It'd feel ridiculous (big eyes and bright colors? nope, not my OCs). But then again, using some random person's selfie is a bit creepy, and using some known celebrity's picture feels a little lame, so... I honestly can't say which I'd like more. I prefer to draw my characters myself, on my own style, so I can decide exactly how they look like.

I only do realistic pictures. I'm just not a fan of anime, and I can't picture any of my OC's looking like an anime character. Whenever I see "Anime Pictures Only" I get turned off to the RP.

Last edited by a moderator:
I make all my characters faces out of paper mache.

Obviously I'm joking. Anyway, as others have said, it comes down to the RP, but also the creators and players. If I had to choose between the two, I'd choose realistic simply because I don't watch enough anime. With that said, choosing a real person feels weird, as then the character is tied to that person. Obviously the same applies to anime; your OC will be tied to a character and show. I don't see the point in people complaining about the style; just do what the GM says or don't join. The only time I think realistic vs anime matters is when you allow either; it becomes like Who Framed Roger Rabbit, with anime characters casually interacting with real people.

In an ideal world everyone would have their own personal art of their character. But not everyone (including me) is an artist. So descriptions are the next best thing. That way people have to put more effort in and you can also judge their writing skills.

Either or, for me. I've never found it to be odd, using a real person's picture - it's on the internet and bound to happen, and there are many, many similarly looking people in the world, they help bring your story to life. It's just like authors who publish their books, and then hire actors for their story! For certain scenarios it just fits.

I believe anime, however, is more flexible, and I tend to be able to take anime characters in a more magical/supernatural world far more seriously! And a huge issue with realistic face claims is that, when one person starts using a celebrity, eeeeveryone starts to use it, and then it becomes so redundant people start dedicating their status to
'if I see another lily Collins or Barbara Palvin I'm gunna...'

Eh... Don't know if this helped or was just me blabbering on about my opinion. It's been a long day. Basically it could go either way for me, though if I had the time and computer tools I'd be creating realistic drawings for my characters instead of either option, I think it's just easy access and a genre comfort zone for most.

Personally, I find both all well-and-good. But more of my characters use photographs for their portraits.

There's actually an interesting system I've got for how I make my choice, particularly in regard to my Oneiroi continuity:

When the character is in our world, or is otherwise in a self-contained world, I use a photograph.

When the character exists in a certain type of universe between the avatar and the user, I use an anime picture.

It's a bit complicated to simplify, but it really highlights how "reality" appears to differ between the two types of characters. When one sees another as 'fictional', they see that character as a drawing. It even works both ways. In their own eyes, they both see themselves as the real "photographic" person, but the other as a drawing. (':3)

I'm good with both but whenever RPs have real only, everyone's a model.

Overall, I prefer real, but I do find it slightly weird when there's a photo of somebody in modern dress in this medieval-y fantasy roleplay, so would prefer artwork to that. Definitely not against using anime pictures, though, and particularly detailed artwork can add more realism to fantasy/horror/sci fi characters in my experience.

I use realistic images for my characters. I just can't imagine scenes in anime style, so it cripples the plotting process if I try to use anime images.

I prefer real pictures because it gives me a better visual of the character. I can't imagine the anime character doing anything. Plus when I started rping on some other website the person always used real pictures. I just got use to that. Plus when I see anime pictures I can't compare it to a real life person. When I'm rping I visual it and all the people are real people. So it's hard to visual that character with a bunch of real people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back