World Building Do you ever have doubts about your worldbuilding?

Do you ever feel that when you want to worldbuild, it won't have the same spark as other worldbuilding you've done? If so, what do you do when you have these doubts?

My worldbuild projects are pretty big most of the time. Sometimes they are so big that the task becomes daunting for me to finish up and I often feel like I've done a half-assed effort in only giving the points of interest the most meager descriptions. Or I will sometimes have a list of places that I need to make, and it keeps getting bigger without being checked off and done. I guess my problem tends to be time and motivation. I need both to coincide when working on a setting. Otherwise, it's very hard to get things done. Time, well... that one requires irl to cooperate and has too many factors to be able to control. But motivation is a little more dependent on just myself. So, to get properly motivated I will often get into media of the related genre or theme of my RP. Movies or books are a definite go-to. Or even comic books in certain cases. Sometimes even music will do the trick, like spacey ambient or fantasy medieval tracks. There are plenty of both on youtube. Essentially, I just need to surround and saturate my creative spaces with the theme and genre in order to keep the creativity flowing.

Ya sometimes i feel like it is too derivative or not well written

I've never done "other world building". I am on my first world-building or, to be more exact, currently doing canon-welding.

I have a character who was my first OC in my character roster. To be honest though, he was a Gary Stu. A super idealized version of myself, he had all these elemental powers plus the power of dreams. Plus, I gave him the same name as I do in real life. Within the past year, I've revived the character as a cameo which led to my attempt to canon-weld. I decided to keep him as a king with the central region of this nation being based on the country I developed for the character back in the late 90s. Since then, I have developed other characters for medieval fantasy storylines. I decided that these characters live in the same nation as the king, just different regions. Ultimately, my goal is to have five sentient beings all live in the same nation and try to fit them in the stout, fairy, mundane, etc categories.

By the way, I am trying to rehabilitate the king to make him usable for roleplay by trimming down his abilities. It's not going so well since I can't decide what abilities to keep for him.

So, yes. I do have doubts. I have doubts that I will be able to weld these concepts. Even more doubt in regards to rehabilitating the king to not have him be a Gary Stu. For now, I'm fine with him being a cameo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back