Dnd world building assistance!

And finally, this might be useful for your antagonist if nothing else.

No worries. I'd offer more specific advice, but so far there's nothing for me to comment on. Might stick my head in again when you've made some progress, if you'd like advice. 

I plan on using 5e,but do you think I should be using 3.5?

What did you mean with wish?I know that the people I'm playing with are going to be a bunch of murder hobos so I'd thought I'd include some reason for murdering people,if they can manage it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I plan on using 5e,but do you think I should be using 3.5?

Edition is usually a manner of taste. So long as there is no THACO, anyway.

The wish-based economy lets monsters have massive amounts of treasure without overpowering the players. So dragons actually sleep on gold rather than carrying it in a pouch. You can always fiat the idea in by adding a couple spells to the world. The link has a better explanation.

Plot is usually a really personal thing, and in a group it needs to be a dynamic, changing thing. There's lots of existing plot structures out there. Look them up, write them down, and take it a session at a time. It doesn't need to be perfect. It just needs to come from you and your players.

Sorry for the double post @Chibi Chocobo, but I wanted to add that, in tabletop-style games, the best way to get plots is to pull them from players and their characters.

Ask your players for their playstyles. If they don't know, ask what media (games, novels, TV, etc.) they like to consume. Try to apply the styles of plot that they like to the game. DnD can be anything from mystery to kick-in-the-door to political intrigue.

Ask players for background to their characters. Some won't come up with anything, but others may come up with hooks that are more meaningful than anything a canned adventure has available.

Always remember that it is about the players. The first few sessions should be sure wins, since the rules will provide enough challenge for newbies. Have a backup plan for their rescue on the first adventure.

Once they get a good handle on the rules, you can ramp up the difficulty. When they master the system, the goal should be to force them to expend all of their resources. Most adventures are a game of resource management (HP, surges, spells, items) and problem solving. Reward them for creative thinking. They'll enjoy the time grappled a beholder more than the time they barely beat it through hit-and-run tactics.

Thank you so much.This is pretty much what I was looking for, (but the other stuff is/will be very useful) I'm more of a rp guy than a rules guy.When comes to them I usually play fast and loose.Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back