• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

Dissapointed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to give my 2cents for people who said "why not just put it down for more days until everything is finished or all rps converted properly?"

Me, I'm just a simple, filthy, casual rpers. I don't need bbcodes. I had rped without tabs, had my threads spread over subforums in other sites, survived in places with design as bad as 90s websites.

I'm not waiting for a week or two just to continue my rp or starting anew. I can make new rp now. I can get back my lost ones. And that's all I need.

Some people will quit if the site is still not finished, I understand. Me, the thing that will make me quit is if the site is down for a long long time, no matter how perfect it will be when it finally got "finished".

Last edited by a moderator:
I THINK someone answered why they had to put up the site first before the transferal:

In a nutshell, nothing could be ported over to this version without it going online first. I'm a goddamn writer, not an engineer, so I don't know the whys or whats.

Also, we have positive environment rules. Criticism is welcome, salt is not. Take the anger elsewhere, lovelies. <3

Back from accidentally falling asleep at the keyboard watching this thread? Oh man. 

I just want to take a step up to defend all the people being accused of salt - not everyone, mind you, but definitely the people being civil about it. The thing is, it's easy to label us all as salty and be done with it, but we're not. I feel like lots of the earlier post (like the first page) weren't salt or negative criticism, but negative feedback. Note how most of us didn't even say "OMGDXWE'REGONNALEAVEIT'SSOBAD", as some would like to think. We still love RPN, I'm definitely going to stick it out until the end, and I know we can be patient - however, most of us were voicing our opinions in the feedback forum to give, well, feedback. I, personally, just wanted to make sure, that out of the sea of "HYPE" in the big update thread, that this would survive for the staff to see. I'm sorry if you were being notified of all of the points in the first post and more through other means, and I understand that now, but at the time, for the first twenty-thirty odd of us, this was the only place for us to put feedback without flooding you with PMs that you're likely getting. We honestly didn't step up to the thread to slam the thread or get angry - I've been civil about it, only voiced my displeasure - just to try and get feedback back to the staff. 

For goodness sake, though, I hope the reason that Shog's post never got replied to was because you heard it before, because I'd understand if you have at this point. However, please don't dismiss him and people like him as just salty or negative.

And you see, the thing is, people working in this thread like Meredith and Dark, the staff, they're really great people. I highly doubt anyone here would judge their character or personally insult them - and that's for a reason. Meredith stayed up for 4+ hours to keep tabs on threads like these. Dark's probably been working his ass off, not to mention he's been one of the easiest guys to talk to (and even answers his PMs really quickly). I just want to say that we've been looking at the site as a whole, not them. You don't deserve verbal abuse, Meredith, but it's really not coming from most of these guys in this thread here. (Or at least, the first few you were addressing when you posted this.)

And I just want to end it all by saying that I (and hopefully others) are willing to be patient, and we're definitely willing to work with you for the next few weeks to make RPN into something amazing. I totally understand why it had to open early and why we've lost some of our features now. However, please don't write off all of our feedback from earlier as salt or negativity, as it was just that - feedback.

I'm testing it out a bit and this system is waaaaaay more complicated than rping ever needs to be....do we really need a bazillion places to click just before we got to the main rp area?!

Just make it a regular old forum site without all the extra BS  -.- We don't need things like hosted projects. And actually....if you made the forums as simple as the places to ask questions just with tabs that would be far better than whatever ya got goin on right now. It's gonna scare away new people and clicking 5 different things just to get to the main rp part is not too fun.

Or maybe just keep the banner thing and make it tabs if you can, maybe, possibly?? or something simpler?? Seriously, that would redeem this update a  loooooot! All hail the mighty tabs that were perfect. Sure made it easier to load things on every device.

Getting rid of tabs was definitely a pretty stupid thing to do imo :/

Tabs were an addon for Xenforo. We're not using Xenforo anymore, because Xenforo's community has stopped supporting many addons. is there anything you need help with?

So I came back from sleep and found another five pages here (I also had to stop working not this so I got to class on time).  I'm not going to pretend I read everything.  I just got frusturated before that point.  Would everyone just stop repeating the same damn questions!  I'm not going to pretend I'm a saint (I'm actually quite the pice of shit) but mods have more important things to do than answer the same questions.  Especially about reviving role players from the old forums.  There are links regarding that exact subject at the top of every page!

I got my questions addressed both directly and indirectly as well as some questions I didn't know I had.  However, that was only within the first two pages.  After that I feel like this thread just turned into a battleground and that was not my intention upon creating this thread.  I feel the need to apologize to the moderators for letting this happen, even if it was unintentional.

I'm not going to say I'm behind everything that's changed (obviously), but I understand why there needed to be an update.  Code and software "degrades" (not really, but I think that's a good enoug discription for now) and needs updated to keep working.  Kind of like cloths.  The more you wear them the more worn out they get until it needs replaced.

I'm not going to create another role play right now and am not looking for a new one and won't be role playing at all (unless I'm invited.  I'm pretty weak willed sometimes.) because I'm paranoid that as things keep changing a glitch or something will destroy my work.  That said, I'm not leaving.  As I told my friend last night, I'm just going to step back and watch for a while.  If I end up finding a different site that I like better by the time everything has settled down, then maybe I'll leave.  Regardless, I think we should all just see how things turn out.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm being hypocritical, but I don't think I am.  I have not stated that an update was uncalled for or that I'm leaving.  I admit I probably got carried away last night, but I have not lied.

Lastly, I am still pisssed that a moderator quoted someone else but the quote says that I said it.  If it's a glitch or something then whatever, but when I pointed it out earlier it was brushed passed like nothing happened.  I do not appreciate being misquoted, especially by someone who is has a position of power (second post, second page and addressed second to last post, second page).

Lastly, I am still pisssed that a moderator quoted someone else but the quote says that I said it.  If it's a glitch or something then whatever, but when I pointed it out earlier it was brushed passed like nothing happened.  I do not appreciate being misquoted, especially by someone who is has a position of power (second post, second page and addressed second to last post, second page).

I'm assuming that was me? I think I just clicked the wrong button. Sorry about that, mate.

I'm assuming that was me? I think I just clicked the wrong button. Sorry about that, mate.

Alright, I've been looking into this "reconstruction process" that is supposed to make the BBcode work again after a week or two. My question is, what BBcode will be converted and which ones are you axing permanently? The way you phrased it in the BBcode help thread was that "most" of the BBcode would work again post-reconstruction. That implies that something's getting left behind. What do we have to manually edit and what should we leave alone?

Alright, I've been looking into this "reconstruction process" that is supposed to make the BBcode work again after a week or two. My question is, what BBcode will be converted and which ones are you axing permanently? The way you phrased it in the BBcode help thread was that "most" of the BBcode would work again post-reconstruction. That implies that something's getting left behind. What do we have to manually edit and what should we leave alone?

I personally have no idea what's carrying over. 90% of it should. Some of them will end up not being supported. It's happening already - if you edit an old post, some of the BBCode with restore itself. If I had a list, I'd hand it over, asap.

I personally have no idea what's carrying over. 90% of it should. Some of them will end up not being supported. It's happening already - if you edit an old post, some of the BBCode with restore itself. If I had a list, I'd hand it over, asap.

Well, do you know who has such a list, or who knows what's carrying over?

Well, do you know who has such a list, or who knows what's carrying over?

Nobody has such a list right now.

We're so busy carrying your guys' links open and running customer support, we don't have time for lists. If we did, I would tell you. Sorry for any inconvenience. 

Nobody has such a list right now.

We're so busy carrying your guys' links open and running customer support, we don't have time for lists. If we did, I would tell you. Sorry for any inconvenience. 

Well I did edit an old post of mine just now and found out that the bold code in the post did get converted, but that the tags didn't. Oh well. Anyway, I checked the "things I follow" list just now and found that 90% of the stuff on the list was removed. I have to manually hunt down all the crap I followed now (if I even remember what they were called), but will these lists be restored as well upon reconstruction completion?

Well I did edit an old post of mine just now and found out that the bold code in the post did get converted, but that the tags didn't. Oh well. Anyway, I checked the "things I follow" list just now and found that 90% of the stuff on the list was removed. I have to manually hunt down all the crap I followed now (if I even remember what they were called), but will these lists be restored as well upon reconstruction completion?

I hesitate to say this, but they should be restored. If they're not that wouldn't make much sense, but there's a possibility they won't come back.

It's expected, but might not happen. The update has had some unforeseen consequences. 

What is this "reconstruction"? I've had people tell me code should be restored within 5-7 days (That was in my laundry list of questions thread) and then other people just say when reconstruction is done. Does that mean reconstruction should be done in 5-7 days? I italicized should because I do understand things can happen, but is that a current estimate that is generally agreed upon should nothing go wrong? 

What is this "reconstruction"? I've had people tell me code should be restored within 5-7 days (That was in my laundry list of questions thread) and then other people just say when reconstruction is done. Does that mean reconstruction should be done in 5-7 days? I italicized should because I do understand things can happen, but is that a current estimate that is generally agreed upon should nothing go wrong? 

Reconstruction should be done in less than a week, barring anything blowing up.

I hesitate to say this, but they should be restored. If they're not that wouldn't make much sense, but there's a possibility they won't come back.

It's expected, but might not happen. The update has had some unforeseen consequences. 

They aren't. Roughly 10% of my watched thread list was carried over, and when I attempted to look in the "activity stream" to find out where I posted so I could manually add them, there were exactly four posts listed. Saying that this update had "unforseen consequences" is the understatement of the decade, and the changes have seriously shaken my faith in the site administration to the point where I don't even know if I can trust anything @The Dark Wizard says from this point on.

For example, before the site update, I was unable to see that banned people are banned. When a GM got banned, I spent the next month or so attempting to track him down and find out just what happened to him. It eventually came out that the site was glitched for me in such a way that banned members didn't have a strike through their names on my screen, hence why I didn't understand that this person was banned.

I still use the banned @Dream Killer as an indication of the status of this glitch being fixed for me, so I tried to check his profile after the update, since there were apparently going to be a truckload of bugfixes. Lo and behold, it looks identical to everyone else's! Maybe the administration forgot, but considering I had told Wizard literally months before a date for the update was even announced, I am very pissed off that the coders haven't fixed it yet.

If anyone needs links to tutorials/interest check stuff/etc, there's some helpful stuff here. The mod team is currently working on a Guide to Survive the Update, which I'll link here once it's posted.

If anyone needs links to tutorials/interest check stuff/etc, there's some helpful stuff here. The mod team is currently working on a Guide to Survive the Update, which I'll link here once it's posted.

I am just going to say this. You keep telling us there is no time for lists because everyone's moving stuff over. Now you're saying staff is working on a guide. I'm confused as to which is accurate at this point. Not trying to be rude, but it helps if there aren't contradictions and this seems to be one. 

I honestly just want to be able to roleplay again and until content is moved, all I can do is ask more questions. I feel like I'm becoming a bother, but I can't figure things out on my own like I normally would without content to work with. Until it's moved, I have nothing. I was happy with the thought that everyone was busy moving content and now it seems that is not the case. 

Its frustrating. 

They aren't. Roughly 10% of my watched thread list was carried over, and when I attempted to look in the "activity stream" to find out where I posted so I could manually add them, there were exactly four posts listed. Saying that this update had "unforseen consequences" is the understatement of the decade, and the changes have seriously shaken my faith in the site administration to the point where I don't even know if I can trust anything @The Dark Wizard says from this point on.

For example, before the site update, I was unable to see that banned people are banned. When a GM got banned, I spent the next month or so attempting to track him down and find out just what happened to him. It eventually came out that the site was glitched for me in such a way that banned members didn't have a strike through their names on my screen, hence why I didn't understand that this person was banned.

I still use the banned @Dream Killer as an indication of the status of this glitch being fixed for me, so I tried to check his profile after the update, since there were apparently going to be a truckload of bugfixes. Lo and behold, it looks identical to everyone else's! Maybe the administration forgot, but considering I had told Wizard literally months before a date for the update was even announced, I am very pissed off that the coders haven't fixed it yet.

They should be carrying over, sorry. With a reconstruction.

If you don't want to trust the site administration, that's your choice, and I can't change that. There are bugs that are being worked on. Please don't throw salt into our eyes as we try to fix things. :)

You should have been able to see banned people are banned through a strike through their name. That was a glitch. Go make a support request.

You also shouldn't be calling out banned users. We don't appreciate users violating others' privacy like that. :)

TL;DR

You can trust us if you'd like, or not, but the saltier you are the harder it is for us to listen. We're human. We have emotions.

Please treat us like it. <3

I am just going to say this. You keep telling us there is no time for lists because everyone's moving stuff over. Now you're saying staff is working on a guide. I'm confused as to which is accurate at this point. Not trying to be rude, but it helps if there aren't contradictions and this seems to be one. 

I honestly just want to be able to roleplay again and until content is moved, all I can do is ask more questions. I feel like I'm becoming a bother, but I can't figure things out on my own like I normally would without content to work with. Until it's moved, I have nothing. I was happy with the thought that everyone was busy moving content and now it seems that is not the case. 

Its frustrating. 

We're sorting our priorities. Sorting out mass confusion is a bit of a priority right now. Moving roleplays is also a priority right now. Some staff are doing both.

Users need to check their email and communicate with us - we're starting to have a bit of time when moving things doesn't have to be immediately done. We have 16 or so people on staff, and we're trying to get everything sorted out. Work with us. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back