Experiences Difficulty Writing Posts?

Elowyn

word weaver
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Hi,

I am curious how difficult it is for you to write a post? Maybe I'm burnt out or feeling uninspired... How long does it take for you to write a few paragraphs?

On a scale of 1 easy and 10 being I can't do it, I would say it depends on the day, but right now, I'm feeling a 6/10. Right now it is taking me 5 minutes to write 2-3 short paragraphs, I'm feeling very burnt out, but I really want to rp, I'm writing very little compared to what I usually write. Then again, I'm responding quicker, and to more people sooo... IDK

Hours sometimes days. Most of the time it takes me ages just to write a few simple paragraphs even if I know what I want to write.

As I imagine is the case with everyone, it heavily depends. To me the major factors are the things I have to do besides the post (pressure from too many things to do gives me freezes in all of them), how easily I can find the right wording (which tends to have to do with how clear of an image of the scene I have in my head), the response / advancement / connector ratio in the most and how continuous my available time is (I tend to avoid doing things that take a considerable amount of time when I don't have a lot of it continuously). This of course excluding obvious factors like how big or important a particular post is.

I'd say my posts commonly take 1, 2 or 4 hours to make approximately, in terms of the actual writing, which includes the time spent staring at the screen and fingers hovering above the keyboard. Most of my time is actually spent just trying to find an opportunity to write the post or else coming up with the post plan.

As I only really have time to write longer posts around 9:30-11 pm, I’d say anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours. So I would say for me its around 7.5/10, as I am NOT as good at writing as I’d like to be right now.

As I imagine is the case with everyone, it heavily depends. To me the major factors are the things I have to do besides the post (pressure from too many things to do gives me freezes in all of them), how easily I can find the right wording (which tends to have to do with how clear of an image of the scene I have in my head), the response / advancement / connector ratio in the most and how continuous my available time is (I tend to avoid doing things that take a considerable amount of time when I don't have a lot of it continuously). This of course excluding obvious factors like how big or important a particular post is.

I'd say my posts commonly take 1, 2 or 4 hours to make approximately, in terms of the actual writing, which includes the time spent staring at the screen and fingers hovering above the keyboard. Most of my time is actually spent just trying to find an opportunity to write the post or else coming up with the post plan.
Hey, Idea! *waves*

I am curious how difficult it is for you to write a post? Maybe I'm burnt out or feeling uninspired... How long does it take for you to write a few paragraphs?
It depends, honestly, on the RP. I have one RP on Discord that I hardly have difficulty writing for at all. It's with my best friend so I feel a lot looser and less concerned about judgment, while the ones I have on RpN I tend to try and flower up my writing for. Not only that but the posts there tend to be way longer, so they just naturally take longer.

My easier posts tend to take 15-30 minutes... 45-60 if it's a particularly intense, detailed scene. Others are usually upwards of an hour.

If I'm feeling unmotivated though, I generally tend to procrastinate... And that's a bit different.
I've talked in-depth about procrastinating posts before, and I feel like it somewhat applies here too, so I'll quote that here to be read!

Aha!
I usually find myself procrastinating a RP reply when one little red flag happens: upon reading my partner's post, I don't immediately know what my response is going to look like. It's not a red flag about the RP itself, nor the writing partner, but to me it's a helpful little flag that SOMETHING is off in the RP. Whether we've written ourselves into a corner, something unexpected has halted previous plans, my character doesn't have enough direct interaction to respond to... it could be a variety of things, but it's usually something.

Procrastination, then, usually turns chronic until a) I finally figure out something clever/fitting to do. An "in", if you will.
b) I talk to my partner about my issue, and we work out a way around it, even if it calls for an edit or double-post.
Or the worst option, c) I keep pressing on, sacrificing my motivation in the name of forward momentum. This generally never fixes the root issue and really kills hype.

Once in a while I'll intentionally delay writing a post because the circumstances are complex enough that I genuinely need time to consider how my character would react. And sometimes I'll delay a post because it's a scene-starter or a location with tons of detail involved, and I'm too busy or too tired to sit down for it. Though I don't consider either of those procrastinating.

If I'm procrastinating regular old posts, I take that as a sign that something needs to be worked out. I understand that all RPs have their lull points, but I think it's a valuable skill to gauge exactly when those begin, and consider timeskipping to get past them, writing in some exposition after the fact.

And it doesn't even have to be a lull point that's the issue. It doesn't matter how exciting or unexciting the events in-character are.
Just this past week I was RPing a fight scene LOADED with feelings of betrayal and panic, when I realized I was procrastinating my posts. Upon further inspection, I realized that the intended outcome of the fight (planned from the beginning) was someone kicking someone else out of their house, but because of the way the first post in the scene was done, I couldn't find a reasonable motive for him to do that. It just didn't feel realistic to me, so it really sapped the direction from my posts. My writing started repeating itself and wandering a bit, it was just all-around unpleasant.
So I stopped, talked about the issues I was facing with posting and why, and we both decided to redo the _whole_ scene. It was a bit tedious, but also the second version flowed much better than the first, and had flair to it that was much more entertaining to RP. A lot better than being stuck, that is.

I'm really starting to learn that if I start not wanting to write for an RP, some communication is REALLY in order. Something's either boring me or bugging me, and I would rather enjoy writing than just doing it to move the story along. There are better ways of pulling that off!

I had an rp idea where a wolf RP was heavily inspired by viking lore and it was probably the most in depth roleplay I had done but it just didn't appeal to people at the time hehe.

It depends on the day and the content of the post. If the post is, in general, lighter in nature it’s not so bad to crank out the whole thing. Heavier posts tend to take me longer.

All that said, right now? Ages. Eons. Writing academic papers really saps my ability to string fictional words together.

Perhaps I’m alone in this because I have no life and am also starved for writing partners but I know as soon as I get a notification that someone has posted, I immediately read it and start working on a response post if I can.

I don’t think I ever really have a hard time finding motivation but that’s just me. I don’t really have a life so I guess I have the time to work like this. 😆

Perhaps I’m alone in this because I have no life and am also starved for writing partners but I know as soon as I get a notification that someone has posted, I immediately read it and start working on a response post if I can.
Sometimes I do something similar, I make my reply as soon as I have time, then maybe a few hours (or just the next day) after making y reply, I double check it, add a few things, and see if it is good enough to send.

It depends on the day and the content of the post. If the post is, in general, lighter in nature it’s not so bad to crank out the whole thing. Heavier posts tend to take me longer.

All that said, right now? Ages. Eons. Writing academic papers really saps my ability to string fictional words together.
I feel that. Thanks for your response!

I don’t think I ever really have a hard time finding motivation but that’s just me. I don’t really have a life so I guess I have the time to work like this. 😆
Define have a life! XD You have a writing life, clearly.

Sometimes I do something similar, I make my reply as soon as I have time, then maybe a few hours (or just the next day) after making y reply, I double check it, add a few things, and see if it is good enough to send.
I love that.

Hi,

First I write the people in it, then I write some stuff about what they are doing. Then I write the post. sometimes i remove the people because they didnt go right with writting the post and what other subcharacters are doing. then I do editing but I sucks at editing. I then look at it, see if anything is to strong and needs removed so it stays pg13. then I color the conversations, add the top thing in big green font and then I name the post. sometimes I can do into real quick and sometimes it take forever. I have a cannon story-line thing too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back