• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Realistic or Modern Dieselpunk Sky-Captains of the Mediterranean

Pentagon

Newtype Magic
You know what is an incredibly awesome and yet un-explored period of history in RPs? The late 1920s/early 1930s. Jazz, biplanes, international intrigue, science and technology all boom in that time, a new age of exploration and freedom.

What I'm offering to run is a game set in the Mediterranean, full of free-wheeling captains and shady business deals. An era of lawlessness on Mare Nostrum, with the Great Powers all trying to claim their share of strategic bases and lucrative trade routes. You all will play the freelancers, the mercenaries, the venture capitalists and the explorers, come to make their name and fortune in the new wild west. Lawlessness breeds opportunity, and there is plenty of both here in the Med.

The game will have touches of the fantastical. History and technology will be played pretty loose, with the chaotic and free nature of the Med played up, and the technology erring on the side of Dieselpunk just enough to add that kick of flavor. The game will be full of alliances and betrayals, of action, romance, mystery and copious amounts of Jazz, and characters of all types will be able to find their niche.

Most Freelancers get around in seaplanes, either single engine, single-passenger jobs made for speed or combat, or big 4-engine modern hulks with enough space for a whole crew and cargo to boot, ready to trade or pirate or any other such venture. All-metal single engine planes are creeping in from the Great Powers, and the age of wood and canvass is dying out, but the heyday of the biplane is not yet dead, and many of the famous aces of the Mediterranean fly their wooden relics painted gaudy colors and make the old things look young again.

Anyways, that is about as much as I am willing to commit to before I get some interest, because I want to talk to prospective players about what they want in the setting. If you see something here you don't like, or have something you want to add, please apply and we'll hash something out.

Thanks!

The film Porco Rosso, by Studio Ghibli, gave me the initial idea

The 39 Steps is going to contribute to the plot

Some of the tone will be ripped from old Spaghetti westerns, and some from Cowboy Bebop

Aeroplanes and dog fighting will be a big part of the game, the plane being not only the best way around the Med but also the symbol of freedom, especially among Freelancers and Pirates

That should get you started, I think.

Yeah, for sure. Most will be seaplanes, as seaplanes are cool as fuck, but there are large transport planes aplenty. Mostly European models, but yes. Good to see some interest, thanks!

That seems cool, but my intent was having the characters be the freelancers or wanderers: being an airline pilot is not PARTICULARLY adventurous, but we could work something out where you crash, or get captured, or something. Did you have something particularly in mind?

Wow, this sounds pretty much like Porco Rosso, or Tailspin. I like it and would totally consider taking part. Dieselpunk and its let's call it Mother-Decade really arevery underrepresented in RP.

Though I have to admit, I really would like that extra pinch of Crimson Skies in it...namely Airships.

Crack open that spoiler, and Porco Rosso is the main influence.

I am reluctant to add airships, mostly because they are terrible, but I was going to stretch the maximum size of large-scale multiengined aircraft, like big B-17s, to function as flying fortresses

I could make a nomad character! Perfect fit for raiding Egyptian airports and capturing pilots and passengers!

Walking around with khaffiyas and camels LOL excuse me if I use Arab terms and words, I am in Israel and do know a bit of the language :)

-kaffiyas are the headcovers, not the female but the male ones-

P. S. @pokermariofan64 I totally adore Jebediah.

I'm probably the only female who plays KSP

Sorry for the horridly messy post :) I'm all over

Pentagon said:
it was going to be completely free form. I trust you nerds enough to not be godmodders
While trust is appreciated, a system can lead a bit of structure...

Pentagon said:
I was going to stretch the maximum size of large-scale multiengined aircraft, like big B-17s, to function as flying fortresses
Is that meant to be a terrible (great) pun?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back