Diceless Nationbuilding mechanics

thespacekid

children, children
I was thinking of a nationbuilding RP, and I was trying to come up with a mechanics system for it that doesn't involve dice. I really like Civ type games with statistics deciding a lot of the turn resolution, and I also like RPing. So here is the premise of my game, for some context. Players start off with ark ships that land on a planet, and vie for dominance over the territory of the land available.Very much like Civilisation: Beyond Earth. My goal is to try and create a rudimentary roleplaying 4x game with this system.

There will be two sections, the RP IC section and the Turns section. Turns happen twice a week or once a week. Each turn follows this format:

Nation Name

Territory Owned: (Number of tiles)

Income: (No of Tiles x Base Income of each tile + Buildings modifiers)

Population: (Increases every turn, can be slowed by buildings/research. I was thinking maybe each tile can support a max population so if the population gets too high for the territory owned, the morale may drop. More on morale later)

Upkeep: (Population x Upkeep value)

Wealth: (Balance + (Income-Upkeep per turn))

Each turn, players get one action point to spend on one of three types of actions:

Economy: This includes buildings. Players will suggest the type of buildings they wish to build and suggest economic bonuses from the buildings. They can also build research labs to kick off research projects and more specialized buildings later on. Of course, the GMs will ensure the building is reasonable and realistic enough.

Military: This includes units and battles. Raising armies will take place with this section. So will battle moves like skirmishes, invasions, raids, and battles during war. Combat resolution takes place solely through RP. Say a player is launching an invasion in a tropical jungle. Player One has 1000 professional troops, but Player Two has 300 Militia, but has researched Jungle Tactics. Then the players try to outwit each other and decide battles by roleplaying the strategies they wish to play.

Diplomacy: This includes all foreign relations actions and spies. Making alliances, sending envoys, creating embassies all takes place in this section. The spying system I am yet to figure out

Of course, the actions that they undertake will have turn costs attached to them, so players must wait a few turns before their actions take place, especially in the case of buildings and raising armies. This can all be negotiated once the RP is set up.

Morale: -10 to +10

Since the players will be playing colonizers, they will have to interact with the native alien species. Now the morale of such a country is the total of the natives and the colonists. Winning or losing wars against other factions, spending money on celebrations, on creating cultural monuments, randomised calamities, all RP factors will contribute to morale. Morale is basically a system via which a GM can help make dull RP interesting or reward a good RPer. When the morale drops too low, a rebellion could start. If the morale is high, then donations from private organisations may pour in. Just examples off the top of my head.

Research: Every few turns or so, the GMs will present various research options, and players may choose to research one of the options. This will provide customisation to each nation as players will have access to certain types of technology only unless they trade it or steal it, providing further RP opportunities.

So basically this is my system. It's just a first draft, so I'm definitely looking for any suggestions or comments you may have! I'm also looking for a co-GM so if anyone's interested, please PM me!

Last edited by a moderator:
Example of a few turns mid game: 

Turn 15

Nation Xyz

Territory: 8

Morale: +6

Income: 800+350=1150

Population: 18000

Upkeep: 900

Wealth: 750+(1150-900)=1000

---------

Economy: Start construction of Windmill system, decreasing per capita upkeep by 100. 4 turns.

---------

Pool: Ore mines +200/turn, research lab, steel factories +150/turn.

Strike Unit 1: 2000 troops

Elite Strike Force 1: 1000 troops

Turn 16

Nation Xyz

Population: 18500

Upkeep: 925

Wealth: 750+(1150-925)=1225

---------

Economy: Constructing windmill 3 turns.

Military: Build 1000 aerial corps. 4 turns.

---------

---------

Start research: Hydroponic agriculture, 5 turns.

Turn 17

Nation Xyz

Population: 19000

Upkeep: 950

Wealth: 750+(1150-950)=1425

---------

Economy: Constructing windmills 2 turns.

Military: Raising 1000 aerial corps 3 turns.

Diplomacy: Create Trade Alliance with ABC kingdom. 2 turns.

---------

---------

Research: Hydroponics agriculture, 4 turns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back