Dice Based Games: Where Do I Start?

Naxtaroth

The Raven
Greetings!

I have recently been wanting to get into games such as DnD, and remembered that with the site's dice feature and since the site merge that many players have been doing roleplays that are similar to the style of a DnD game. I want to get into these kinds of RPs, however, I wouldn't know where to start. Here are a few questions that I have about this style of roleplay:

-How does an online RP modeled after a DnD game work?

-How do you determine who posts and when?

-Do these style of RPs require more or less of a time commitment than a normal RP?

-Does this style allow for multi-para/detailed responses in most cases, or are the majority of Dice Based Game RPs quick interactions with short posts?

I would greatly appreciate anyone who can answer these questions and maybe even answer questions that I haven't asked, yet might be good information to know. I thank you for reading this and look forward to any and all responses!

Goddamnit, Dusky, I was trying to avoid being a responsible person tonight!

Ahem, anyway. Welcome to the world of dice games, Nax. i'll try to answer your questions as best I can.

Naxtaroth said:
This is a broad question, but I'll assume you mean "How do I play dice game on a forum?" The answer to that is fairly simple. One person takes the role of the guy running the game (typically referred to as a GM) and lays out the scenario for the players. It's much like a conventional PBP game, except for the fact that conflicts or tension points are resolved with using a dice roll plus various modifiers.

Naxtaroth said:
Usually its like a non-dice game. The guy running the thing posts first and lays out the scenario, and then the other players post when they're able. The only exception to this is during a combat scene, in which turn order can be very important, depending on the game.

Naxtaroth said:
-Do these style of RPs require more or less of a time commitment than a normal RP?
They require a higher level of buy-in, as you're expected to know or at least own a copy of the rules, and it can take time for a person to become truly familiar with how the rules of the game work. However once that's out of the way, it's roughly the same level of time commitment as a non-dice game. The exception is the GM, who may have to spend more time preparing scenarios for the player to interact with.

Naxtaroth said:
-Does this style allow for multi-para/detailed responses in most cases, or are the majority of Dice Based Game RPs quick interactions with short posts?
Varies as much as a non-dice game, and largely dependent on how many actions you can take on your 'turn' within the confines of the rules, as well as what you want to do. Sometimes you need to do a lot of things in one turn and you'll have to write up a quick description of it. Other times you'll barely need more than a sentence or two.

Hope that helps. If you have any followup questions, feel free to ask and I'll answer what I can.

Last edited by a moderator:
Naxtaroth said:

I'll just number these, for my convenience in answering.

1. It doesn't! ...That is a joke. I'm not a huge fan of D&D. Still, it's very close to any other group RP - everyone makes a character in the setting, but with a little more work to fit with mechanics and lore. The GM posts the framing of the scenes, guides the plot, and facilitates whatever the players want to do - in this it differs from freeform, because I know in freeform you might decide to control some NPCs. In most traditional RPGs, you only control your character. Though a good GM will invite you to add detail.

2. Out of combat, you follow the organic flow of conversation with the GM stepping into to note time is passing, the events happening around everyone, that kind of thing. Combat will usually have stricter posting based on various factors.

3. From a player, they require more work at the start - you have to read the given lore, try to understand the rules, and make your character within those boundaries. You also need to learn the system, which ideally can be done through play. So once the RP is up and running it doesn't demand any more than most others. For a GM, there's a lot more work involved.

4. Varies as JayTee says, but in my experience there's more ready acceptance of posts that are short and to the point. This can vary by GM, though - If I see posts getting close to a thousand words, I get uncharitable.

I have a number of RPs in their early phases that you could join, if you'd be interested in trying it. There are a lot of newbies in these ones, so you'd all be learning together.

Grey said:
I'll just number these, for my convenience in answering.
1. It doesn't! ...That is a joke. I'm not a huge fan of D&D. Still, it's very close to any other group RP - everyone makes a character in the setting, but with a little more work to fit with mechanics and lore. The GM posts the framing of the scenes, guides the plot, and facilitates whatever the players want to do - in this it differs from freeform, because I know in freeform you might decide to control some NPCs. In most traditional RPGs, you only control your character. Though a good GM will invite you to add detail.

2. Out of combat, you follow the organic flow of conversation with the GM stepping into to note time is passing, the events happening around everyone, that kind of thing. Combat will usually have stricter posting based on various factors.

3. From a player, they require more work at the start - you have to read the given lore, try to understand the rules, and make your character within those boundaries. You also need to learn the system, which ideally can be done through play. So once the RP is up and running it doesn't demand any more than most others. For a GM, there's a lot more work involved.

4. Varies as JayTee says, but in my experience there's more ready acceptance of posts that are short and to the point. This can vary by GM, though - If I see posts getting close to a thousand words, I get uncharitable.

I have a number of RPs in their early phases that you could join, if you'd be interested in trying it. There are a lot of newbies in these ones, so you'd all be learning together.
I appreciate the feedback from both of you and I'll definitely have to check out your RPs that you mentioned. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back