• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Desperate Gambit [Closed]

"Christian! Werewolves!" Anthony called back to him as a wolf attempted to bite at the forcibly retreated Amalia, receieveing two bolts in the head as punishment. "Do keep your head and limbs inside, they tend to take that as teasing." he chuckled as he felled 3 more, but the fourth jumped on him, biting his left arm.

"...hmm? my that is quite rude, I shall have to discipline you." he spoke as his eyes began to glow the unearthly color. The wolf whimpered for but a moment before he snapped it's jaw, pulling the two half's of it's mouth open far to wide for -t's jaw to handle, killing it in a terribly painful way.

"Christian, third compartment in the carriage, a small bag holds our distraction!" he called as he bolted another prospective hunter, he hoped they acted soon, as ready as he was they were starting to gain on them... and bolts are starting to run scarce.

Christian put on a sheepish expression when he realized his error, seeing the wolf come close to snapping the Lady in its jaws. He released Amalia with a, “Sorry,” following immediately after.

Amalia moved back to take her position, but saw the initial five wolves were already dead. ‘It would be a good sized pack if that were all.’ It bore looking into when they got back, especially when she noticed another two off to the right.

Christian took his orders well, and he dug into the compartment for the distraction. As soon as he laid hands on it, he moved to the door and swung the package out towards Anthony, “Here ya are!” he informed and winced as he heard the gun go off, far too close to him for his liking. He saw one of the wolves get struck and fall, the fur starting to burn away, leaving behind human corpses.

He didn’t know how this was ever explained to the public, or the cops, but he knew that the Lady dealt with this kind of stuff all the time. Christian hadn’t even been aware these things existed until he came into her service.

"That was a warning to Amalia more, but nonetheless thank you." he spoke as he caught the bag and placed down his crossbow and rummaged through the bag, throwing a small sack backwards over the coach and putting something to his lips.

A few of the wolves dashed towards the sack, smelling the meat that was inside, staving off most of the attackers but the finally few seemed to yelp and dash off as if they were harmed by something. Anthony pulled the whistle from his lips as the last of the wolves ran off, content he settled the horses to a trot to ensure a leisurely recovery period. "A wonderful contraption, they call it a dog whistle if I remember, the noise it makes is unbearable to humans but canines hear it fully. Most ingenious I must say." he spoke as he pocketed the whistle away, to. be honest he held a great deal of trinkets in his coat, just one more for the collection.

"Indeed, the true show of a good butler is the ability to adapt to any, and all, situations. Wisdom, cunning, and service with a smile."

“I thank you for your warning, but you know full well the day I let you do everything will be a very cold day in hell,” Amalia flashed a smile back at Anthony. She had a gun for a reason, and she had been trained to follow her father’s footsteps.

As if she would go hunt for a bag in the compartment. More wolves were showing up. Fortunately, that bag contained meat. That had been how their alpha friend insured he would not go off on rampages. He put a bag of meat up in a tree near where he changed, and it kept him busy until the morning. He was supposed to advise others to do similar things, or chain themselves up.

Those not distracted soon ran off before it was necessary for Amalia to fire at them. She looked back and saw Anthony pulling away a whistle. She lowered her gun, recognizing the device. ‘Do you hear it?’ She wondered, but instead tucked herself back into the carriage as the butler aggrandized himself.

“Yes, yes,” Amalia spoke that to herself, but called out, “Good boy,” to the butler, to confirm his own words…and mock him, just a little. She shut the door then and settled back into her seat. ‘Note to self, see alpha later.’

Giving a small smirk her looked back to the carriage. "thank you my mistress, would you like me to get on all fours and play the act of a dog as well?' he asked and whipped the reigns again to quicken up the pace. if they were to reach the town soon, its best to hurry just abit, it was also abit of a while since Amalia has eaten, so he worries about the current state of her stomach.

After awhile he called back. "Christian, please take the reigns as I serve the mistress her travel dinner, we left on short notice and could use it." he spoke as he slowed the carriage to a stop, the two men switching places, though it seems Christian had taken quite a fright from the wolf pack, for he was right awake.

Anthony entered the carriage and from another compartment, there seemed to be a great deal of them hidden about, he pulled a small basket, plates and a few travel foods, sandwiches, a few fruit. "please excuse the display, i fear it is not quite fine dining when were out in the woods, and this is the best a carriage could offer. Though, i did pack one treat.." he spoke as he shifted through the compartments yet again... somewhat looking like a squirrel finding it's stashed away nuts.

When Christian was called out, and Anthony took his place, it was tempting to interrupt him and suggest he did play the role of dog. The only problem with that was the fact he wouldn’t protest it at all. The one downside to having a demon was that it was obedient to even the ridiculous requests. At times, she just wanted to see if the demon had any fire to him.

Instead, she saw that constant smile, and that constant patience. “Your display is excused. Thank you. I could have waited until we were out of the carriage, though.” Food again. “A treat?” That was nothing too interesting, desserts were common in her home, even when she didn’t care all that much. Her sweet tooth existed, but in a muted state. However, when it manifested itself, it had to be sated.

She did accept one of the plates with the various bits of food, commented idly, “You must be starving,” as she bit into a slice of cantelope. She observed the demon eat human food—he had to, in order to maintain the act, but she’d never seen him eat a soul.

"Worry not for me, I am quite the patient one, plus the scent alone can state my hungry appetite." he gave her a look that was akin to a hungry predator, his eyes glowed with a eerie malevolence, and even worse.. she felt 12 more sets of eyes watching her, waiting for the time they could strike. "In short, don't worry for me, no matter what happens i am always ready to serve, through our contract we have a bond that one could not even begin to comprehend..." he smiled warmly as he tapped her forehead with an outstretched finger.

Tuning back to his rummaging he finally found what he was looking for, a simple platter. "indeed, the treat today shall be one of my personal favorites, i don't eat a great deal of food... But I have taken a particular liking to this recipe." he smiled as he opened the platter revealing the dangerous display, from the moment the visage was birthed in one's eyes the temptation took place. Even within these confines this black diamond of deserts shines with an eerie aura of sin, almost as if one takes a bite of it it is something one must keep a secret from all not involved... it was perfection in cake form.

"I give to you, my own personal Devil's food cake."

“Can it really?” The Lady Amalia seemed intrigued by that idea. The question was more rhetorical than sincere. “If only we humans were so lucky,” it wasn’t so, though. Amalia needed to eat, or she’d die of starvation. Smelling food could make her ravenous, too. It sated nothing.

As such, she ate of the food presented before her and watched as the demon dug to find this treat of his with growing interest. When at last he located it, her eyebrows arched in intrigue. “A chocolate cake?” She didn’t seem all that impressed by just the sight of it. Her eyes lifted to meet his, “This had better be as good as you say.”

It looked far too simple to be that, but her tastes had always leaned towards the more luxurious and exotic things. She did not reach for the chocolate until her plate of normal food had been finished, a stickler for the rules of food etiquette. Dessert always came last.

Once she took the plate, and had the first bite, her eyes lit up in pleasant surprise. “Mmm!” And a second bite quickly followed, though she tried to just savor the first, the desire for more was much stronger. It was rather atypical of her, considering she wasn’t much of a glutton to begin with, but the cake was as the demon said—spectacularly delicious.

The demon looked.. over joyed with her immediate consumption of another piece... if he could cry, he would in this moment... she simply looked so precious, eyes sparkling in delight and her every bone seemed to quiver for more. Indeed this creation has been a recent one, but demons and humans alike strive to surpass it's glory.. but cannot... The recipe is locked away within his own mind and heart so none may steal it... In truth, he loved seeing his master happy, she let out a comeplete different air then usual, a true joyous moment sates any and all hunger he has, filling the void with contentment...

"What are your thoughts mistress? i trust it is to your liking? i altered my original recipe to suit your tastes more, with more of a dark chocolate to bring out the natural cocoa tastes hidden within." he refixed his tie as he gazed to her expectantly...

(excuse the shortness, its a conversation and I wonder how she will react to such a display.. or will she crush him? he has done nothing to provoke such action of course, he simply wishes the best for her. For her soul to shine brighter then any star, filled with happiness and fulfillment.)

It was when Anthony spoke that Amalia quelled the emotions of delight within her, regaining her air of dignity as best she could. Amalia tried to convince herself that temperance was a virtue worth practicing. Every emotion, good or bad, displayed weakness. To show such delight was against her.

And yet, she knew he had seen it. She hadn’t hidden it at all, “It is quite good,” Amalia answered, and she lowered her head a bit, caught, guilty of excess. His gaze burned. “You have learned my tastes well.” It had the bitterness and cocoa taste she so loved. In all things chocolate, she preferred it be dark. “I…thank you for the treat. It was truly unexpectedly good.”

((Dialogue scenes can be short—to be expected of dialogue, after all))

Still wearing that near brimming smile he gave her a small bow as he put away the empty dish, clean of all remnants of the cake that was once there. "Your praise is worth more then gold my mistress, i pride myself in my deserts, an odd thing to hear from one such as me no doubt, however in truth I have but one rival who can meet my skill in such... Hopefully we do not meet her any time soon... or will it be him? In truth I cannot say." he commented with a hint of unhappiness dash across his face a he mentioned his rival..

"We should be nearing the town soon, perhaps gifting you the cake was a bad idea for the moment... I might've suggested a nap before we arrive."

Amalia always doubted his words when he spoke like that. She was certain that Anthony was mocking her. “A rival?” Interesting, “I do hope we meet them. If they can make a better dessert…well, it’s something I’d like to have.” Amalia couldn’t even imagine one better than that.

As the plate was cleared away, she leaned back in her seat and chuckled at his statement, “At least I will sleep when we arrive, so in theory, I will wake on time.” In theory and in practice were rarely the same thing. Amalia didn’t think she’d ever wake easily again. “What other desserts do you make?”

It was an odd talent for a demon. It begged investigating.

"Ah, that is a good question. I have a wide selection of recipes from British, French, Welsh, Belgun, and various others. If you would allow I would love to prepare some of them for you or perhaps company iif you see it fit for such an occasion." he seemed quite pleased in her interest in his culinary feats of the confectionary variety.

He stayed silent for a moment and then reminded himself of something. "I hope you do not mind me asking, but your welfare is always of my concern, body as well as mind, are your dreams plagued of late?" he looked to her, again he found himself thinking if only he was human... perhaps he would hazard a chance... it was ill manners to attempt courtship when you are one's butler... he did always have a thing for red hair... perhaps that's why he faltered so long ago...

Anthony was being unusually curious, but not unusually generous. “You would put our chef out of a job,” she noted. “Perhaps on special occasions,” otherwise she was likely to eat too many desserts. It wouldn’t be healthy. Then her butler would be overworked with petty things like that, too, and it would further delay her revenge.

Despite being certain her revenge was her death, she wasn’t keen on delaying it. She found little peace alive, after all, as Anthony so aptly noticed. Sleep was a human necessity, and unfortunately, her sleep had not been peaceful since that day. “Tch.” No, she was not happy he pointed it out. She looked towards the window rather than at Anthony.

There was little point in hiding the information, but she was unhappy with the fact he had noticed. ‘You can’t control how you sleep.’ No, but she wished that she could. “Trauma tends to effect the human mind negatively, Anthony. My mind has decided to plague me with nightmares.” Of that horrid thing that had been summoned, of the entire process of having those damn symbols scarred into her skin. Not all of them had been healed. There were still marks on her skin that had nothing to do with the demon’s contract.

Humans were fragile. She was no exception, even if she wished it weren’t so. “It’ll pass.” Though her voice held little hope of that.

He paused for a moment and his smile returned. "Indeed it shall, the beast that was born that day is our quarry, and by our contract it shall be destroyed." he gave a small bow as the village was able to be seen over the horizon, it was a quaint town, and much like the day both were just waking up as they came over the last hill.

"We have arrived." he said softly as they began their first approach to the town's outskirts. People seemed healthy and happy, atleast on the outside, perhaps this medical advancement is assisting in making the village as such. The morning sun was just breaking past the surrounding hillside, lighting up the area with it's bountiful radiance.

"What is our first objective mistress? I shall perform any job you see fit."

‘First objective is explaining how we wasted so much time.’ The fact that the sun was now rising startled Amalia quite a bit. They should have been there by midnight. She didn’t even understand how she felt so awake.

She shook her head, though, not giving that order. “I am going to get a nap in,” necessities, necessities. She couldn’t sleep or she’d ruin her schedule, but a nap would be a good compromise. “You are going to figure out just what this medical advancement is—if it is some sort of pill, serum, machine, or method, I want to know when you get back. I want to know who is associated with its creation, and I want a meeting with them arranged for this afternoon.”

It shouldn’t be a difficult task, not for Anthony. In fact, she doubted it would be difficult for Christian. The people here seemed to be glowing—they probably loved talking about their good fortune.

(Oh, oh boy, messed up with the time.. err.... err... my bad)

And with her words at an end, Anthony set off in the blink of an eye. he spoke to many people, assuming the guise of a simple passerby or traveler inquiring into the health of those who looked the best, and of course checking with what little children as he could find well, since their eyes were more often then not the ones who see what is true, and the easiest to bribe really.

He paused for a moment as he spotted a rather.. paranoid looking older woman, she covered her head with a long cloth and hid most of her face from the people around her, in fact shes keeping from the others like they have a plague... in Antony's opinion, they all seemed quite happy and healthy... though his domain wasn't plagues he could at least tell the health of the humans around him.

he approached the woman but she hissed and backed away from him. "Begone you plagued fiend, none of you should be alive this day, you were all hearing death's bell and lined up for carting, but nay! You walk still!' she yelled a raving lunacy as she ran off into a house... Anthony took a small look around himself as he wiped away abit of spittle from his cheek. Not a single person stopped at all to watch her... perhaps this was a common occurrence? Aside from that he could find no pill, substance or serum that the people were taking to become healthier.. so he went back.

"I am sorry mistress, but there was no signs or showing of medical practices around the town, they seem to be just healthy and... awfully happy." he spoke as the town was still glowing with an unnatural aura of peace and friendliness... it put him off greatly. "There was an old woman, she raved about how the town was before, seems there was a disease or plague that nearly took half the town, and they recovered quickly enough to drive her mad."

Amalia had Christian find a small bed and breakfast type place for them to stay in, and she rested there. Christian was also quick to find a room to sleep in, since he had been up quite a while driving the carriage—and had gotten them lost. He hoped the two didn’t realize that, though. Anthony hadn’t lectured him.

Exhaustion did not mean dreamless or restful sleep for Amalia. Her mind always wound itself back to the nightmare, sometimes as a memory, and other times as something twisted. During that rest, her mind sought to play the memory as one akin to Alice in Wonderland—the world itself twisted around the fiend, and the floor seemed to open up.

Amalia was falling after the creature, until she felt something pull her back.

She woke with a start and sat up immediately, only to see that Anthony had entered her room. “Ah.” She must have heard his steps in her sleep.

He did not return with good news, though. He had failed her.

Amalia sighed and rolled out of the bed, still in the clothing she had arrived in. She had just fallen asleep—not exactly the best idea, she knew it was in poor tastes to wear a corset to bed. “I will want to talk to that old woman,” anyone who saw the situation as strange was of interest. “Do you know her name or where she’ll be found?” She stretched, trying to wake herself up with the movement.

"The woman is widely regarded as "Granny" by the locals, they fear for her mental stability but I feel nothing wrong with her, if anything she may be the only soul here still sane, present company excluded of course." he spoke with a slight frown in disappointment, he half expected there to be a mad house of a village ready to spring with canabalistic intent... Or maybe a bunch of vampires, but they wouldn't be out in the sunlight like this... But of course this no doubt will have some thread tied to that creatures, it's simply how he would expect the writers to plot this coarse.

"I can take you there at once."

The house looked worn down and misused over the years, the front had many holes and breakages that tell of little to no maintenance for it... yet the air still felt charged in a way around it. "Allow me mistress." Anthony spoke as he knocked on the door. "Madam? Is it possible we could ask you a few questions?" he asked aloud as a kettle clanged against his face. "Begone devil! I shall have none of you in my house!" she spoke to the man then spotted Amalia. "You may come, keep your pet out."

There would be no breakfast. The last thing Amalia had to eat was cake before midnight, and so she was hungry, but she made no complaint. ‘Tea.’ That was all that she really wanted, but no rest for the wicked.

Upon arriving at the house, it seemed the old woman was capable of recognizing what the demon was. ‘You fear him more than one who would call upon a demon?’ Honestly, Amalia considered her actions worse than the demon’s. Well, whatever. “Stay out here, Anthony,” Amalia ordered him, as she stepped into the home.

Amalia inclined her head politely to the older woman, “Forgive our rude intrusion. I am here to address the astonishing healthy of this village. Her Majesty is most interested in having the entirety of her kingdom healthy, so—”

Amalia expected to be cut off, so it came as no surprise when the woman cried out, “It is an abomination!”

Amalia looked appropriately surprised, “How so?”

“They’ve bought their health through profane rituals, sold their bodies like common whores,” the woman certainly had a mouth on her, “they house witches and warlocks here, in this very village, and defy the one true Lord by allowing them practice their magicks freely!”

"As you wish my mistress..." he spoke with abit of unhappiness as she went into the home of the old woman... he could hear the old battle-axe's wailing from outside. He may aswell listen in as well, perhaps look around and see the town a little bit... No he should stay by the door, no need to wander, he will have free roam soon enough when all this is over with... Ah, I should make plans for that day, perhaps Amalia would like to join in as well? Maybe not, things do get abit rowdy when he calls them over... hopefully Maria gets through it fine enough, Rio survived this far so he imagined she would be fine.

"Foul rituals! The fools call upon demons and devil's to make people their slaves! Their nothing more then tests and food for what those women's plans!"

More yelling it seems, but the fact they now have a gender helps lower the search radius... to atleast one half of the village... wonderful. In truth he hated rooting out groups like these, in his line of work they usually were haughty and put to much stock in the "magic bindings" they put forward to keep themselves safe. He hated being bound to the circles... more often then not he just didn't fit or the fools didn't make the circle big enough. Honestly what do they think their doing summoning a low caste fiend? He was a well respected demon, the great devourer, the many maws, the hydra, etc etc, it was demeaning to be contained in such a small thing...

"Oh my, where are my manners would you like some tea dear?" the woman made a complete turn around in her disposition to Amalia, who was probably one of the very few who even talk to her of late.

Did she accept tea from a crazy woman? “No, thank you,” Amalia answered when the woman made the offer, her entire disposition changing. “I was wondering if, perhaps, you could give me a name of one of these women?”

That would be a better starting point than just any woman in or near the village. Amalia didn’t want to waste any time with dead ends and pointless interrogations.

The woman’s face blanked for a moment, as if she didn’t understand the question. Then, it lit up, and she was animated, “They hide their names in their sigils, they—”

Amalia interrupted, “What names to they go by in the village?” Perhaps it was rude, but she was getting quite tired of listening to this rambling. “I am here to root them out and get rid of them, sent by the Queen herself. I do not need their real names to deal with them, only ways to identify them.”

The woman looked a bit flabbergasted, apparently not sure how to take the interruption to her ravings. She looked a bit deflated when she finally said, “One goes by Sidney and she works in the local florist shop, BUT SHE—”

Amalia was already walking out, having the information she needed to proceed.

He was kicked out of his thoughts as Amalia appeared before him, he had heard a name from outside, Sidney, a florist it seems. "A florist then, the store is not far down this street, personally I love flowers, they taste exquisite." he smiled as if remembering a fond moment so long ago.

The florist shop was, as expected, filled to the brim with flowers, they were everywhere, some seemed to overflow with greenery, the pots barely containing the shrubbery and bulb.

In truth, it set Anthony off, these flowers were healthy indeed but we're abit to healthy to truly mark it to a green thumb... "Impressive greenery, it takes a skilled hand to produce this." he spoke aloud as if to announce their presence to the owner inside... it was almost a jungle in here.

Almost as if on que, somebody appeared before the two, as if gliding from the flower and vine infested building, she gave a small look around and then turned to the two customers in her realm. She was below average height, plain in body but was adorned in flowery dress that went well with green vividly green eyes. Her brown hair was accented with a lily pined on her right temple, a flower that Anthony would later comment is one of his favorite treats.

"Umm... hello? Is anyone there?" she asked looking around, her eyes, even while she searched, stayed still and looking forward. Anthony blinked a few times then spoke again as he took a step forward, his shoe touching a vine. "We are right here, Are you Sidney?"

"Oh!" she gasped as she finally saw them, turning to them and giving a small bow. "W-welcome! I'm sorry, I am abit hard of seeing these days." she spoke with abit of a stutter, and a blush.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back