• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Descension (C.DEX x Notorious)

"STOP. THIS." Astra groaned as Gunnar dragged her into the after life kicking and screaming, the chain around her neck feeling like it was white hot as soon as they entered the temple. It was not quite the afterlife or Necras but a pocket realm designed by him to train his champion, however the vale between life and death was very thin here. Spirits began to swarm Astra for what she was, a Starseer in completely hostile territory. "YOU.... LIED.... TO.... ME...." She gasped, ripping and tearing at the chain only for it to get tighter causing her to go nearly blue in the face. "TRA....ITOR!" She tried to roar but her wind pipe being crushed simply made it come out a gurgling groan. In a twisted way Astra had begun to trust Gunnar, not fully honestly, but she had never imagined he would turn on her so radically. He had seemed infatuated after sleeping together, not to the level of Brevil and her but he had been laying it on thick. So thick that it almost seemed unreal that he would be possible of doing this.

Here he was, dragging her through a cold abyss where the lights in the air were simply specters dotting the void. Astra could barely see, hear or think as the specters all began to attack her, clawing at her body and shredding her clothing and bodies into ribbons. Gunnar allowed this to go on for a little too long, the viking letting her experience true pain before turning to look at them all. The spirits scattered as he did, his power superior over theirs as he took her to what he assumed was the center of the room. They were standing on a ground which had no end, looking down it was just more specters floating about or watching their every move. The chain loosened and Astra could breath, the woman screaming in pain as her wounds were being forcibly mended.

"You can still feel everything in this realm..." Gunnar said to her as he rubbed his wrists and looked around, "Every last bit of it. But since you don't belong her you heal... again and again... Unless something here finally kills you..."

"Please... that was... terrible..." She said, looking at her body as it fizzled back into its proper shape. "Gunnar... You know I never meant for this to-"

"You would have killed my best friend all because he talked back to you. You sentenced all of my family to rot in these cells and now that you're in one you don't feel right about your actions do you?" Gunnar asked, only for Astra's face to straighten up.

"It was the will of the gods we-" The spirits around her began to move quicker, all of them circling her like she was their next meal. Even the mighty Astra couldn't deny the terrifyingly ugly spirits, those who looked decomposed and frightening could not scare her. She was quite literally in hell, being tormented by Gunnar and the specters.

"It was for you to advance in position. You don't care what the gods want... you're selfish." Gunnar concluded, his back turned to her. "Necras told me of this place when I was last... in the afterlife... How it will only release me when the time is right." Gunnar looked around, seeing the spirits spectate them. "He's trying to teach me something already... he-" Gunnar paused, feeling strange. The entire room seemed to glow brighter as the spirits began to take more of a fleshy form, the ghosts still floating about but their features becoming clearer. Gunnar, although not attuned to such a thing, could feel the mana flood the room as a disturbing amount of power pouring into him and by default Astra. He was handling it a lot better than she was.

"WHAT IS HAPPENING TO ME?!" She screamed, her flesh being filleted from her body as the energy was not meant for a normal Ifritian. "WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO ME?!" She groaned, her wounds healing just as fast as the mana was breaking her away. Part of Gunnar felt a small bit of sympathy, they truly did have a small connection at one point in time. To see her screaming the way she was however brought him more pleasure than he could possibly imagine. The bad guys finally losing one, finally experiencing what they were subjecting their victims too. It was sweet, sweet justice.

"Train."

A voice whispered into the room from every direction. Its cadaence was made up of what sounded like a million, distorted voices all mixed together in the worst way possible. Gunnar wasn't phased by it after hearing it as often as he had, Astra on the other hand was frozen in fear. Gunnar looked around, every specter looking at them helping broadcast Necras' voice to them. The god of death had explained Gunnar what a champion's duties were to be when being trained properly, how he must now undergo several different trials in order to become the harbinger of death Necras needed him to be. Gunnar had already completed the first step by arriving and he impressed the god even more by bringing in his very own test dummy.

"Start with the girl... Then... when she has known true suffering... finish her..."

"No... Please Gunnar..." Astra asked, having fallen down from the ground in pain. She began scooting back away from him, "Please... I'm hurting so bad... please don't do anymore I promise... I promise I really did not mean it! I HAD TO DO IT! I AM SO... I AM SO FUCKING SORRY PLEASE DON'T HURT ME ANYMORE!"

"Your pain has only just begun..." Gunnar replied darkly, his face devoid of any smile or smirk as it normally was. In their place was a scowl that said it all: Gunnar was going to enjoy this and make her pay for everything she could have possibly done.

Hours turned into days... Days turned into what felt like years. The torture Astra received at the hands of Gunnar was indescribable. Her body was being torn apart by the temple and put back together by the same temple, only for Gunnar to inflict more pain than she was already experiencing. She tried to run, she tried to hide, she tried to beg and plead with everything she had. She had begged him to stop at any cost, even going as far to renounce her own goddess after Gunnar began lopping off body parts only for them to reconnect as if they had never left. While the others may have been isolated and trapped in a temple alone Gunnar was far from alone. From Dio, to Necras and the spirits that made up the god of death to Astra he had plenty to do. So much so that Gunnar began changing before her very eyes the more he brutalized her or moved on to train with the wraiths that would periodically come to attack him.

There was so much mana in the room it was a constant battle, Gunnar not needing to eat, drink or sleep. There were rumblings from outside that even he could hear from within but Necras nor Dio could tell Gunnar what was happening out there, all that mattered was his training so he simply gritted his teeth and continued to fight. This went on for weeks, whenever Gunnar finally tired he'd feel a boost of energy or be 'slain' by the training Wraiths, only for him to get back up and stand again. During those times when Astra had her rest, her cheeks permanently stained with tears as the woman could not possibly get use to this torture. The mana was changing her body whether she realized it or not, soon she had begun to heal quicker and feel less pain as time went on. She couldn't get use to the torture mentally but her body was, the Seer's body getting stronger and stronger. Mere mortals weren't supposed to be able to withstand the temple's mana, something keeping Astra alive that wasn't Gunnar or even Necras.

Day 152

On the day Alun died Gunnar hardly noticed except for the massive amount of souls that entered from above. They were neighboring Necras, his prescience ever present and they could feel him get stronger from here. Astra had long since went mad from the pain, the poor Starseer actually enduring more than she had actually dealt to Gunnar and his family. The viking didn't see it that way however, listening to Necras and using her as a way to increase his rage and his power. Gunnar had changed in the time he had been locked away in the temple, Dio had as well. The two had been practicing to work together as one, rather than two separate entities. What Gunnar thought Dio thought, what Dio thought Gunnar thought. Together they were becoming quite the killing machine, rather than waiting for Dio to respond to Gunnar with his requests he willed it and then it was. There was no delay, no hesitation now.

It had been a long time since Gunnar had styled his hair, his beard beginning to grow wild and the shaved sides of his head beginning to grow and looking even more wild than his beard. The viking braids in his hair long gone as the man simply resigned to his fate of non-stop combat and death. Gunnar had lost track of how many times he had been bested in combat now, the pain from his defeats outweighing his victories by far but alas the constant failure was beginning to turn him into something much greater than the man who had entered the temple. His skin had began to lose its color and his body was becoming colder to the touch, even Astra began to notice the changes as she seen Gunnar go from a warm and vibrant spirit to a colder, more calculated one. Not that was of much mind at all currently, her mind mush after the constant and belligerent pain she was witnessing. She was almost ready to be molded to Necras' delight.

"There has been an exodus of death..."

"Wh-what?" Gunnar asked, looking above as he had just gotten done slaying a wraith that had charged at him. He had made quick work of the creature, using a hand axe to slice upwards followed by absorbing the Wraith's energy using his free hand: a trick he had been taught by Dio. "What's going on?"

"Alun... has fallen. Many lives lost... We grow stronger..."

Gunnar looked up at the sky, a frown on his face. He wasn't sure if Necras growing stronger was a good thing or if it meant something terrible was going to happen. He didn't trust the God of Death, as he shouldn't. They had their differences in the past and he was training him relentlessly, pushing him to the brink of death hourly only to bring him back to continue again. It felt wrong, not feeling tired or not needing to eat or sleep. It felt unnatural, it felt terrible...

It felt like Necras was stripping Gunnar of his humanity little bit little.

Day 313

Astra was dead. Or, in a horrible state in between.

Her corpse laid in front of Gunnar as he had his hand raised to the sky, a glowing light hovering in the palm of his hand. The light was purple, tendrils of energy whipping out to kiss his hand as the sickly pale man held Astra's soul in the palm of his hands. Gunnar had just ripped the soul right out of Astra's body on Necra's instructions. He had beaten Astra to a pulp and right before she crossed over into the afterlife he placed his hand to her face and called upon the powers of Necras. Being his champion and embracing his role in this nearly year long crusade Gunnar had begun to develop sick and twisted abilities, being able to rip the soul from one's body after truly defeating them being one of them.

"Crush her soul... Bend it to your will... Craft her... shape her... into the form you wish her to be..."

"That... doesn't make sense." Gunnar said quietly, his eyes looking at the purple soul as her body was being absorbed into the floor below by a lone specter. Finally out of reach of Gunnar. "What do you mean shape her?"

"Make.... her... your... weapon...."

Necras' words chilled Gunnar to the core, the idea of turning a soul into a weapon? One Gunnar had never considered before. Before Gunnar knew it Dio appeared before him, the wraith looking much different than he had before. His body seemed to be stronger, his face more visible, his features distinguishable. He had strong, Elvish features now. The wraith was simply more than a wisp when Gunnar had first met him, now he was practically starring at the man's long and forgotten face.

"Do it." The Wraith whispered, "Craft her into a blade that we will use to slay our enemies... Spectral weaponry is strong but weapons made of souls?..." If Dio could smile he would, his half bone, half skin face simply rattling as he tried to smile. "They are... the strongest... Begin." He instructed, in which Gunnar slammed Astra's soul down in front of him. She was suspended in the air as the Champion began slamming her soul with his fist, followed by a hammer being placed into his hands by Dio. Gunnar began to hit the purple energy again and again and again, having a clear mental image of what he wished to create.

After what felt like hours smashing the spectral hammer into Astra's soul a long, twisted knife was hovering in place. It had a dark purple handle and a pure black blade, resembling Astra's cold dead heart. Gunnar grabbed the blade and swung it about, feeling Astra's very essence inside.

"I am going to kill... so many of your sisters with this..." The Viking whispered to his new knife, kissing the side of it as he let go of it. In the physical realm it would have simply disappeared but here Dio caught it and away it went, fading into obscurity. Astra had been tortured, killed and now her soul crafted into a weapon made to kill her sisters. One would think she would have earned her mercy long ago.

Necras didn't allow Gunnar to give that luxury to the poor woman.

Day 590

"I... don't know who I am anymore..." Gunnar whispered to Dio in one of the brief moments of peace Necras permitted. "I've... been fighting for so long I... I've died so many times I..." Gunnar showed a moment of weakness, one he hadn't shown in so long. He was just fighting and fighting and fighting, the stress of it all taking him well over a year to catch up with him. The mana was intoxicating and the power Necras was giving him had been everything Gunnar had ever wanted but this? He was beginning to feel less than human, he felt like his thoughts weren't his own, he felt like this was all just a terrible nightmare. He was being tortured by the fact he had torn Astra apart time and time again and he didn't feel any better for it. Even the terrible things she had done to him and his friends was nothing compared to what he had done to that woman and now she was gone into the abyss. "I can't... die..." He whimpered, knowing that if he did he'd simply be brought back to do it all again. "I won't... see my family again... my friends... I'm just gonna keep... dying... over... and over..."

"Now you know my pain..." The Wraith quietly whispered back.

"Again."

The thousands of voice wailed into the champion's chambers, multiple Wraiths rising out of the ground and floating down from the ceiling. Gunnar reluctantly stood up, his demenaor weak and defeated. As if Necras could sense when he was tiring the entire room flooded with even more mana than usual, Gunnar be rejuvenated and forced to fight again as multiple attackers charged at him.

He was never getting out.

Day 666

"Gunnar... did you know mortals fear the number of days you've been inside here with it's relation to Necras?" Dio said, all too cheerfully. "It isn't actually known WHERE the number connection came from, mostly from would-be Necromancers trying out ritua-"

"Shut the fuck up, Dio."

Day 700

The poor viking barely recognized himself anymore. He no longer felt pain, nor pleasure. His body had been deformed from the constant battle for over two years. His scars were deep, his beard and hair ridiculously long and deep dark bags had grown underneath his eyes. He hadn't slept in years. He hadn't ate, nor drank. The mana keeping him 'alive', however that felt like. He was convinced Necras had twisted his body in a way where he couldn't die, any wounds he received simply healed and the only way to 'kill' him was from extreme amounts of damage. He had been fighting for so long it was routine, he no longer got a thrill from it. Everything he found fun in life had been taken away from him, even the thrill of battle was gone.

"When are we getting out of here Dio?"

"His name is not Dio..."

"What?!" Gunnar asked, "You talk now? After so long? After making me fight for so long you're just gonna say 'His name is not Dio?'" When Gunnar didn't get a reply he shouted, "WELL THEN WHAT IS IT?"

"His name was Galathor... King of the Central Kingdom. Two hundred years ago..."

"Gala-what?" Gunnar asked, Dio standing next to him looking up into the sky where Necras was presumably at. "Why are you telling us this now?"

"Your bond is stronnnnggeeerrr.... The stronger a Wraith becomes... the more it remembers... The more it hates..."

"Dio?"

"No..." Dio said, looking down at his hands. "Why are you showing me this now I-... It's too much Lord Necras..." In Dio's mind flashes of his old life began to haunt him instead of fragments. He seen his children, his beautiful Queen. The power he reigned over Central Kingdom. It was as if he was experiencing it all again for the first time and the last time at the same time. It was disorienting and disturbing, the fact that he was a King was mind boggling. It was so much information to take in all at once, all the while Necras was expecting him to be okay with this discovery. "Why are you doing this?"

"You need to get stronger... The time has almost come... The world is in ruin... More join our number... Champion... Galathor... You must be one in order to grow our ranks... To destroy Constellia... and her Starseers..."

Gunnar gritted his teeth, "You trap me here... for years... and you want me to simply do your bidding? What the fuck do-" As soon as Gunnar began to rebel hundreds of Wraiths appeared out of thin air all around him and Dio. The wraith raced over to Gunnar and merged with him, two battle axes forming in Gunnar's hands without hesitation. The two had become one in battle, the lag between the two communicating no longer there as they went to work. Necras was punishing them in the only way he knew how: more work and more death. The room wouldn't be empty for a long time yet, forcing the two to fight their way to freedom.

Day 730

30 days of battle. Gunnar and Dio had not stopped fighting for thirty days straight. They did not feel tired, they did not feel weak, they only felt the massive amount of money Necras was mutating them with. Gunnar felt hellaciously stronger after the long battle. Gunnar felt like there needed to be a legend written about this moment in particular, the basically undead champion fighting for thirty days and thirty nights as he fought for his and his ghostly partners life. Not like he wouldn't have just healed and stood right back up but the fight was still real and his reflexes had never been sharper and his strength had never been higher.

As they fought to the very last one something incredible happened: the temple gates began to open.

"Go... Grow our number... Serve your purpose... Puppet."

Gunnar didn't have time to argue as he began sprinting for the door. As they crossed the threshold Gunnar could feel movement behind him in the temple but didn't address it yet. What he did address was the massive fire ball above Central. It's dim glow was ghostly, the strange light source looking like it had been plucked from the sky itself. It was bigger than Central itself and blocked out the sky but even then there was no heat, no immense light. It was fading and casting a sickly yellow glow to everything around Central. Outside of it was nothing but darkness, only for Gunnar to see a lone star high up in the sky casting an even sicker light than the strange one hovering over Central.

"Behind us." Dio whispered, Gunnar spinning around and flinging his arm to surprisingly hit a moving target that had came chasing out after them from the temple. The target collide with his arm at a high velocity, the woman letting out a loud 'UGH' noise as she went toppling to the ground. Gunnar's eyes darted down to the woman and couldn't believe them. There was someone he had thought was long dead, her soul now forged into his blade.

"As...tra?"

"Ah ... Um." The Seer meekly started, her eyes darting up to the watership docked at the edge of the island. It was a small thing and this had mostly been a mock of a mission. "Let me just get you a blanket?" she said, not entirely wanting someone who couldn't see the ship in front of him to attempt to board it. Orin's face contorted in annoyance as the Seer padded away, ignoring his request. Before she had fully left him, however, she opened her mouth to speak again. "I'm Seer Affi." she said, and then continued to run.

Orin bowed his head down as she disappeared, feeling sluggish. He had been accustomed to a great deal more mana than had been outside the temple, like a drug keeping his body going. Now, he had begun to feel the effect of seven-hundred-odd days of no food and little sleep. It had begun to hit him like lashes, tempting him to try to make it back into the temple. His mind felt lacking and fuzzy.

The Seer that had been tending to him had padded off to the ship, looking briefly behind herself as she did. She was a small Caelilan thing with simple robes wrapped around herself and a small ivory-colored gem tucked into her neckline. As she approached the ship, she pulled it off of her neck and pulled herself up, landing on board. Then, she reached up with the gem and threw it to the floor. It snapped loudly, Orin's eyes flitting up to the blur in front of him. He climbed to his feet, paranoid.

The Seer delved into the cabin of the ship, pulling out a blanket from the compartment. She stepped off of the ship and walked toward him again, and then pointed off toward a small campsite where she had seemingly been set up for a while. Before she could usher the Seer toward it, he stopped her. "What was that noise?" he asked.

"Ah ... it was an amulet of Arkas. When it gets smashed it sends a message to the other linked amulet. It's my way of telling our people that the Champion has awoken." she said. "We should stay here until they arrive."

"That's not going to happen." Orin replied, his teeth gritted.

"Well ... look at you. You're weak. You must rest." she replied, proferring the blanket toward the supposed Champion. "I have food here and beds, at least to get your strength up -"

Orin threw the blanket over his shoulders and then began to walk toward the ship, it coming into view the closer he had come to it. It wasn't worth attempting to talk to her and as far as he was concerned she couldn't exactly stop him, either. So, flustered as she had been that the haggard-looking man had been trodding off toward her ship, she only followed close behind, her brow pinned with concern. "If you're not going to drive this for me then I'll do it myself." he said.

"I have another sister deeper in the island, I need to -"

"Right. Then I'll drive." he said, edging around the ship until he had found the anchor roll. He had been navigating blindly, but he'd known the basics from reading at Balor's. He began to crank it back up into the boat, the two of them onboard. "Do you want to be useful and unfurl the sails, or should I do that?" he asked, quite serious.

"I- I-"

"Right, okay." Orin said, moving to do just that, but the woman had stepped in before he could complete it, pulling down the sails herself, her expression between fear and anger. Orin then moved to the front, but before he could place his hands on the wheel, Affi moved to take the helm instead. "We're going ..." he paused, thinking back to the order in which they had been put into the temples. "To the Isle of Necras."

"Who the fuck are you calling an Astra?" The woman on the ground shouted back up to Gunnar, confusion on her face as she glared at him. "What? Are you racist or something? You need to chill out when people are just going for a run in a graveyard and-" Gunnar bent down and grabbed Astra by the neck, hoisting her up into the air violently as he held her far above the ground. She groaned in pain but something was different about her, an unhinged smile crossing her face. "Wow... If you wanted to do some choke play we should have came up with a safe word first... Or not." She choked, smiling all the while. "Didn't.... think... I'd die again... so soon..."

"You'll die a lot quicker if you explain how you escaped..." Gunnar growled, the crazed looking man's eyes starring wildly at Astra. "How did you do it? I forged you into a blade to slay your sisters... Is this some sort of trick? A test?" Gunnar frowned, looking around the sky. "This can't be real... This must be another test... I am onto you, Necras..."

"Necras? Nah... fuck that guy, handsome." The woman managed to say as Gunnar's grip loosened slightly for her to speak. Her voice sounded comical, the way his hand manipulated it into sounding ridiculously pitched. "Can you put me down? I'm not running away from you, I was running toward you, idiot!" She grinned to Gunnar's surprise, Astra acting so bizarre and unsettling it had to have been a test. Dio was silently warning him, that something wasn't quite right with Astra. "After all... you were the one who released me after all. Sure... you did do some REALLY weird torture stuff to this hot body of mine but hell... If I was in your position I would have done the same honestly."

"What the fuck do you mean?" Gunnar asked, dropping Astra to the cold wet ground. "TALK!"

"I am talking guy, gods damn!" She replied, shaking her head. "Okay... Now this looks bad, guy..." She said, scooting backwards as her torn up Seer's outfit got tangled up underneath her and covered in dirt. "Me... running... All behind you after your big moment of freedom but LISTEN... Spoiler alert: I'm not Astra." The woman starred plainly at Gunnar for once, a serious tone taking her words for a moment. "The name is Vex, and I love sex." She paused, awkwardly. "Too cheesy? I'm trying to fit the role of this body here... Uhh... My name is Vex and I'll... cast a hex? No... That sounds too cheesy..."

"Just what the hell are you then?" Gunnar asked, a purple blade appearing in his hand for a moment as if to check to see if this 'Vex' was telling the truth. He tested the point of the blade with the tip of his finger, the blade lashing out at him as if the taste of his blood was intoxicating... As if it wanted to do nothing more than to draw more of it. "You're not acting like Astra... She's in this blade here, after all. You're a spirit... Took her body?"

"BINGO!" Vex grinned, the woman slowly rising to her feet. She maintained eye contact with Gunnar for a moment only to look down at her own chest, "Those are new. Different perspective than what I'm use to but shit... I could get use to this." Vex began to raise her arms up to blatantly check herself out only to stop suddenly. "You're... watching? I mean... it wouldn't be the first time but in a graveyard too? Man you are FUCKED up. I love you. You freed me. Let's run away together."

"I..." Gunnar paused, Vex simply giving him a sweet smile as she curtsied with her tattered dress. "Just what the hell do you want, lady?"

"Actually I was a man. I think. I've been dead a REALLLLY long time and although I feel like I am still a pretty kick ass ghost I can't remember shit. Once you've been dead for so long under Necras' rule well... You start getting all fuzzy." Dio nodded in agreement, Vex's eyes following the motion. She was able to see Dio, even being in a mortal body. "You got a pretty old ghost inside you too. How about we make this a party and let me get in there too? Might be able to split myself and make this real interesting."

"I'm... gonna go." Gunnar finally said, seeing that this woman was absolutely crazy. "Listen... Astr-... Vex. You're free. I don't require that body anymore and if Necras didn't stop you from escaping then he must have plans for you. The world is different than we knew it we-"

"WELL NO SHIT!" Vex shouted, "LOOK AT THE MASSIVE FIRE BALL! AT THE SHITTY SKY! THE AIR!" She paused, "I love it. Let's go do adventure stuff together. I've been dead for so long I'm gonna get real weird with this."

Unfortunately for Gunnar, it was going to be hard getting rid of the runaway wraith.

As Affi and Orin got further away from the island, the air took a chill characteristic of the sea breeze. It was as if Constellia's island had been immune to it, but as they had drawn away from it, they had found that the air was cold. Orin fastened his blanket tighter around himself but tried to hide the gesture, not wnating to show weakness in the face of someone he wasn't sure was an enemy or a friend. He placed his hand on the small ledge of the port side and looked over. The 'day' was grim and dark, an eerie red hue to it. He couldn't see where he was; was he going to put blind faith into this woman after she had already called the Seers to guide him to Necras' isle?

"Where are we going?" he sounded out, and she jolted, quiet. She didn't speak for a moment, and then he asked it again. "Where are we going?" he said, firmer this time. "Answer."

"The Eye." she replied, quietly. "I - the Isle of Necras is the place of the dead, and I'm sure that the only reason you want to go there is because you haven't gained your full capacity ye-" she was caught off guard as Orin calmly walked up to the wheel, pushing the Seer aside forcefully. She staggered, her eyes wide as Orin veered them left. "Wait -"

"I'm not waiting." Orin replied. "I've been waiting long enough. If you don't like it you can get the fuck off the ship." he said, voice hoarse from unuse. His words had shocked her; she didn't expect him to come off so harshly, having assumed his character. He was the Champion, wasn't he? What choice did she have?

"I see why the world is in chaos ..." she replied bitterly. "The Champions have left us for years, with the common people not knowing if we'd have anyone to defend us. And then when they finally come, they're ... like this." she said.

"What, blind? Male?" Orin replied, bitterly. "This isn't personal but I'd like the first conversation I have after being trapped in a tomb for years not to be with a bitch, so if you could take a hint and be quiet, that'd be awesome."

Affi was taken aback, stuck with her mouth open as she struggled for words. Then, she huffed, moving to the back of the ship with her hands balled. It was a shock. She had expected something more. And now her ship had been hijacked. By a blind man, no less. She was angry, and to make it worse, they were heading to the temple of Necras. The thought of death hadn't settled in her mind just yet. He didn't seem to want to kill her, but it had begged the question: if he had come out of the temple, perhaps the Champion of Necras did, as well. She turned immediately at the thought, her face reddening.

"We can't go to the isle of Necras." she said, defiantly. "T-the Champion there, if he was let out as well, he'll kill us, he -"

"He might kill you." Orin said. "Doesn't like Seers ... But like I said, you can get off if you want. He's a friend, though, so I should be fine. Thanks for the concern." he remarked with sarcasm. "Unless you want to wrestle the wheel away from me. You can try if you want."

"How do you even know where you're going?!" Affi replied, with panic in her voice.

Orin went quiet, deliberating.

"I've been looking at this place for years." he said.

They had been forced to wait together in silence, out on the open sea, unprepared, cold, under a dim red sky. A deal of time had passed like that, with short bursts of arguing breaking out between them, but the meek Seer had done nothing to stop the Champion from sailing them out other than annoy him. In a way, however - and perhaps it had been the reason he didn't try to eject her from the ship - he had appreciated the noise, it being a distinct contrast to the silence he was used to. Then, something came up on the horizon. Orin's hands - one still wrapped in ripped cloth over the fingers, still in pain - cinched around the wheel.

"It's there." Orin said, feeling the mana of Necras prickling his skin as they had gotten close, and tasting the foul-tasting, low-hanging fog that settled around the island. It was inhumanly cold, causing both Orin and Affi to shiver. In the fog, those on the island would see the silhouette of a ship appearing from nothing.

"So... What's your name again, handsome?" Vex asked Gunnar, walking alongside him as the brute of a man continued forward onto the island. He needed to find a way off, he had stayed at this place far too long. "When you were getting all personal with this body over the years I was just watching... Rarely heard your name. Begins with a G.... Gilbert!" She blurted out, trying to interlock her arm with Gunnar's only for him to push her away abruptly. "Rude. So Gilbert... What's the plan? Are we going to go swim off this island? Go to that city with the sun over it?... Wanna test drive this body? I promise I won't hurt you much." She grinned, "Though your body language is telling me you already have. Kinky. How about we-"

"Shut. the. fuck. up."

"No!" Vex growled, though that same haunting smile remaining on her face. "I just spent thousands of years stuck not being able to scratch my own ass. Now I got a hot one and an awesome viking pal that saved me! Because you tortured this girl relentlessly she got such a tasty amount of mana absorbed in her that I FEEL like I'm the champion." She giggled, "I'm never going to stop talking. I'm never going to stop having fun I'm never..." Vex gasped, "I haven't eaten anything in SO long! I REMEMBER I FUCKING LOVE FRUIT! Do you think there's any fruit in this dump? Doesn't look like it..." She paused, frowning. "Took a shitty time to come back. Everything looks dead... From what I can see through this fog."

"Let's hope it isn't."

"Some response big guy. I'm talking your ear off and you give me one sentence answers? That works for me. I can put my mouth to good use." Vex grinned. "Good use eating some fucking apples. Or grapes or some shit. I'd rip someone's face off for an orange right now... Give a handie to a ghost-" Her eyes darted over to Dio, "How about it cutie? You got anything for me?"

"No. And I never will. You are... a bizarre creature."

"Least I got a body, ghost dick." Vex shrugged, "Say... Gilbert. How exactly are we going to get off this island anyway?"

"By that." Gunnar said, crossing his arms as they came to the edge of the island near the dock. Through the fog a lone ship appeared, sailing silently over as it crossed the quiet sea. "Someone has come for us. If it's Brevil... I will slaughter him with Astra..." Gunnar said, a twisted grin appearing on his face. "If it is someone else... Do not harm them." Gunnar instructed. "You may follow me if you obey my rules."

"Nice! We got some real BDSM stuff going on. I'll bite. You did save me after all. Totally not calling you master though, I gotta draw the line somewhere.... Master." Vex giggled, "Okay then, let's go meet these sailors and see if we can steal their ship! OH MY GOD IF THEY HAVE LIQUOR I'LL DIE THE SECOND TIME!"

Gunnar's head already hurt from the loud and obnoxious spirit occupying Astra's body. She was a rather... interesting being. She had clearly not been alive for a very long time, the littlest of things exciting her and the foulness of her mouth only seemed to make Gunnar believe she had been some sort of sailor. She was taking to Astra's body well, checking herself out the entire time they were walking. Gunnar couldn't help but fight off a smile as the spirit kept opening the top portion of her robe to look down, obviously amazed by the foreign discovery. He pressed on, Dio walking in unison with him as the three made their way to the very end of the dock and awaited the ship.

"STOP STOP STOOOOOOP!" Affi roared, a voice piercing the fog and interrupting the hanging silence. She ran to the front of the ship, pulling the wheel from Orin, but it was too late. The ship slammed into the land, splitting it for meters upon meters and forcing Gunnar and Vex to step back while the blind navigator and the Seer as they ran their ship into the land. On the ship, they were both torn backwards, rolling over the deck until the fence behind the wheel had caught them. Affi laid in stunned silence for a moment before pulling herself to her feet, running to peer over the bow.

Orin stood with some difficulty, shivering slightly from the chill. He came to the bow alongside Affi, dispelling any immediate hatred that had come with Vex and Gunnar setting eyes on a Starseer. Of course, as he peered over, he had found that the ship was too high for him to glean anything but blurs. He braced himself against the teetering ship as it began to tip slightly, running to the ladder on the side and descending. Affi stayed hesitantly on the grounded ship, not knowing what would meet her on shore.

"What are you doing?!" Affi shouted, as he descended from the ship onto the grayed sand, though he staggered as he took a step. Being out of the temple was absolutely sickening now that his body had adjusted to it, and now he had felt as if he'd needed a fix. He ignored the sensation, knowing well that the temple had released before he had even stepped foot on the marshy shore. What that had exactly meant, he wasn't sure, but he had known the world was chaotic and large and if he didn't reunite with his people soon then he wouldn't be able to do so at all.

"Gunnar?!" Orin shouted, his voice different from when he had been put in. In truth, he was a little taller, a lot wilder-looking, a bit purpler, and ... different. Something had changed. But that would surely be the same in all of them, happen they were even able to find each other. And then, he stopped in front of the wraith and the Viking, sensing two distinct presences, their star signs etching out amongst blurry dark shapes.

"...Astra?" Orin questioned, stopping in his tracks.

Meanwhile, on the ship, Affi had taken the moment she had been given alone to dig into the ship's storage, a rustling and rummaging emanating from the ship itself as the Seer took to the beach.

Gunnar, Dio and Vex were treated to the sight of the massive ship crashing into land. Gunnar frowned, knowing that the ship would be in ruins and their way of the island would involve swimming. He hated swimming, especially after waking up in water all those years ago after dying the first time. Bitter memories filled him with a strange rage he never experienced before, the man not angry at the ship or its captain for crashing but at himself for dying. At him for losing his life with his wife. He had plenty of time to sort these issues out in the temple but for whatever reason it was as if he was on edge immediately thinking about what had happened then. His thoughts were interrupted by Vex laughing obnoxiously.

"What the hell?! Who could possibly crash into that dock..." She held her stomach, howling in a laugh that sounded nothing like Astra. Vex's laugh being less dainty and civilized and more booming like a drunken Midas woman. "HEY ASSHOLE ARE YOU BLIND?!" Vex shouted out, laughing all the while as they seen a single man begin to make his way off the boat. As he stepped out on the gray sand she kept cackling, "Pretty short to be some pirate captain. I'll have you know my Daddy Gilbert here will fuck you up if you try and to-" She paused, seeing Orin's eyes as he came through the thick fog. "YOU ACTUALLY ARE BLIND OH MY GODS THIS IS TOO GOOD I FUCKING LOVE LIFE!"

"Orin?!" Gunnar roared back, taking in Orin's changes as he starred at his long lost friend for the first time in years. His voice was hoarse as he shouted, not believing his eyes as his young friend had grown up. It put into perspective just how long they had been apart from one another making Gunnar think of not only Orin but the others as well. If Orin could see fully he would see a man that did not resemble his old friend. Gone was the viking braid or the well kept braided beard. Gone was the tanned skin and goofy expression on his face. What was in place of Gunnar was an absolute savage, a man who looked more like a beast than man. Dark heavy bags were underneath his eyes, his skin was pale and spooky looking as if he was dead himself. It hadn't been far from the truth, his temple requiring him to die time and time again. However he had never been in better shape before, his muscles ripped and his body appearing to look like Necras was preparing him for war.

"Oh no... Gilbert... You're way too happy to see this kid... He isn't your-"

Gunnar pushed back Vex and raced over to Orin. To him the shambling shadow overtaking him would typically be something terrifying but even after they had both endured such changes this was needed. Gunnar embraced Orin tightly, the man squeezing his friend and holding him in place as if he let go he'd never see him again. It had been far too many years, far too much pain to endure alone and finally they had been reunited. Gunnar slowly let go after the two shared a brotherly embrace, one that went on a little longer than necessary but after being away for over two years it felt right.

"I can't believe you're alive, brother..." Gunnar said, his voice gruff and sounding meaner after the years of mana and torment. "What happened to you? Are you okay?"

"Hi baby, I'm Vex!" She said, wiggling her fingers at Orin in a cheerful hello. "I'm not Astra before I have this conversation again. Man... she must have been a real bitch! You wanna punch me?" She asked, "Just to get revenge. I haven't felt real physical pain in so long... I bet it beats Ghost pain!"

As Gunnar approached him, his figure had become clearer in front of the Seer's third eye, which had gained some sort of meager recovery after the years in Constellia's temple. Still, he hadn't needed it. He had known his sign, which now had been intermingled with a confusing blur of color. Soon, though, he had the first real human contact apart from yelling at Affi that he had in literal years. He returned the hug, placing a hand on Gunnar's shoulder as he drew back. "I'm ... alive." he said, paying little mind to the spirit who had inhabited Astra's body. He looked to the left to see Dio forming amongst the fog, almost corporeal on an island of such great influence from Necras.

"I think ... the temples are opening. I haven't gotten a chance to sit down and try to see, but ..." he looked off the beach, as if contemplating. "How bad is the damage to the ship?" he asked, looking backwards but unable to see more than a few feet in front of him. "Well, I took it from the Seers on my island, but she wasn't going to help me drive here." he added. "She's still on it ... apparently she already let her people know that they've opened, so. Bad news. But we need to try to get to the others. Sinna, Kegan, Beet ... Amara." he said, "- if the temple doesn't outright kill us before we can."

He breathed, exhausted. Happy to see Gunnar and that he was still alive, but exhausted nonetheless. The mana prickling the air on the temple grounds was laced with death and the smell of it, not helping his ordeal. Then, for a moment, he was able to calm down. The thought of everyone else on their islands had obviously been still on his mind, but the realization that he could have very well never seen Gunnar and the others again had hit him in full force.

"...What happened to you?" he asked, knowing just how different Gunnar had seemed now even without being able to see him. "In the temple. I didn't even know if you had actually been brought here, I just - you were the closest." he added, worried. "If it had been anyone else I would have been fucked. Some lich-looking asshole crawling out of there." he said, letting out a two-year-long breath he had been holding. "I hope nothing happened to the others, either ... well, nothing being relative. It was hell in there." he said, thinking on the absolute and total solitude he had to go through at the hands of the vacant Constellia.

His eyes finally landed on Vex, who in his sight, had looked similar to how Dio taking form inside of Gunnar had looked. Only, she seemed to have actual control of Astra. "Is she still in there? Astra?" he asked. "How can you control her?"

"Boat's fucked." Gunnar said, where once a smirk would be a plain look of observation was on his face. It was going to be a long time until Gunnar smiled again, even with Orin back they were both reeling from the torture they had both underwent. One being forced to sit in silence, the other not getting a moment of it. Gunnar listened to Orin, acknowledging that the temples were opening and now their main goal should be to rescue the others before they swam away or got into more trouble. It may have been years but that wasn't going to stop Gunnar from going after them at all, in fact, the time apart had made his heart grow heavy. Even though he had just spent numerous years fighting he still missed his people. "What happened to me in the temple? Well... It's a long story."

His non-answer didn't go over well, Astra snorting. Gunnar continued, "Some lich-looking asshole huh? I went through hell too but I still somehow look better than you." Finally Gunnar smiled, shoving Orin playfully. "We can... Just not talk about it."

"Hey, asshole!" Vex grunted, "Just because you won't tell him mean I won't." Gunnar looked back at Vex with a look that could kill, the simple look alone sending a shiver up the ghost's spine as she didn't know whether she liked the look or was absolutely terrified of it. She decided to go with both. "You are REALLY fucking scary. I am so sorry, Gilbert."

"Spent most of my time fighting." Gunnar said, unamused by Vex's antics. "Before I went in I got my powers back just in time, generated a chain whip and wrapped it around Astra's neck. Dragged that whore in with me and well..." Gunnar sighed, "...she paid for what she did. Over and over again..." If Orin could see Vex's expression her wild grin had faded to a frown, the wraith witnessing the torture of Astra day in and day out. It was brutal, even for most of the spirits there. So brutal in fact that Gunnar paused. "Rest of the time I was fighting." He repeated, not wanting to dive too deeply into it here. Clearly they both had a terrible go of it and with the way time seemed to slow inside those temples due to the mana to two of them it had felt more than an eternity.

With that eternity Gunnar kept taking in big breaths of air, the oxygen burning his lungs as it felt like he was using them for the first time in forever. Orin had went on to ask Vex about Astra and she had waited patiently to reply after all was said and done. After the question she blurted out, "I'm into some real freaky shit, kid. She's inside me screaming right now after I possessed her body she-"

"Her soul was ripped from her flesh and placed into a blade." Gunnar said without missing a beat. "I intend to use her to kill Starseers-" He held out his hand and the blade appeared, the dark purple knife sinister and giving off an aura of pure hate. It was a strange weapon, one that seemed to defy logic as it shook upon seeing Orin. "She's happy to see you... He got out... and you didn't..." Gunnar whispered, letting the knife fade into nothingness before looking back toward Orin. "We need to find the others. Some of them might be dead from their trials so... Let's not get our hopes up, brother."

"WOW!" Vex blurted out. "Way to be a buzz kill. You see your young blind lover here and immediately bring on the doom and gloom? It looks like the world has ended baby, embrace it." She said all too cheerfully. "Let's go find your friends! I wanna meet ALL of them. How are we uhh... gonna do that though? Since dingus here broke the boat." She rubbed her chin, "Who put the blind one in charge of sailing anyways... You said a Seer is with you?" Gunnar's muscles tensed upon hearing Vex say that. "Let's get off this rock and meet her! Is she hot?"

Orin grimaced as Gunnar brought the blade up, his eyes turning away from it. It was Astra's soul, of course, but there was something about the Constellia-infused Seer that made his stomach turn upon 'seeing' it. Then, it disappeared. He didn't want to think about what Gunnar had said next, but he was right. The others could be dead. Sinna, Kegan, Beet, Amara ... He hadn't even thought about Balor, and Astra had already confessed that they had killed Slaw. Despite the time that had passed, the thought cut like a knife; the temple doors opening brought hope, but it could just as easily be cut down.

"...Yeah." Orin said, quietly. "The Seer wanted to drive me to the Eye, so I had to take the helm. Uh... Affi I think is her name?" he said, not particularly caring too much about it. "We can build a raft. Have a thing for avoiding death by drowning, anyways." he said, referencing all the times that the two of them had ended up just fine after crashing violently into the sea. "Not that we really have a choice. I doubt this place gets visitors often."

He glanced toward the decently-sized ship he had crashed into the bank. "Any way you can summon a ghost boat or some shit?" he asked, with a sigh. "I'm guessing it doesn't look seaworthy." he said, reaching out to the hull of the ship and yanking on a board. He wasn't exactly the strongest - especially considering he hadn't been fighting the entirety of the time he'd been in the temple - but after some effort it had come free, splintering from the base.

"Guess we should start building. I don't really know how to build a boat, though. Got experience driving one." he said, a small smirk coming to his face. With that, he had began pulling board after board from the crashed boat, only for Affi to peek her head over the bow down at them. If they had wanted to know where she had been, she had an answer for that soon.

"What are you doing?!" she asked, surprised to see Orin fully decimating what little of a ship they had left. Then, her eyes fell on Vex, and they widened. While her clothes had been that of a Seer's, they had been mostly decimated and torn, only giving the woman enough to rema
in somewhat decent. The Seer on the ship had began to climb down, though her eyes settled nervously on Gunnar.

"Building a ship." Orin said, the sound of Affi's voice slightly grating on him. "If you keep yelling then you can stay here." he added.

"...This was my ship." she said, just as annoyed as Orin had been.

"It's our ship now." Gunnar glared upwards, his cold emotionless eyes enough to scare just about anyone. His already intense gaze had been amplified in a way that even Orin could probably feel from the lich-like man. Unfortunately for Gunnar his intimidation didn't silence though he wished would stay quiet, Vex for example.

"Hey cutie!" She waved obnoxiously at Affi. "Look we match! Isn't that neat?" She said with a doofy smile on her face, gesturing towards herself. "Don't worry about Gilbert or Auron, Alfie!" Vex said, none of them knowing if she was mistaking their names on purpose or what she was trying to accomplish really. Vex began walking forward, looking the sensation of the dirt underneath her feet before jumping up into the air. Assisted by her wraith abilities and Astra's natural strength she was able to board the boat from the ground, jumping insanely high to do so. Gunnar's mouth twitched as she did so but the wraith wasn't hurting anyone: yet.

"We'll build a ship... but you aren't driving it." Gunnar said, shaking his head but a faint smile appearing on his face as he did. "We'll get to the others. Hopefully the raft will be enough to hold all of the survivors."

"Hey! Blind boy!" Vex called up from the deck of the ship, "You never told me if she was hot and well... I realize just how insensitive that was now. You know... with your disability."

Gunnar let out a sigh, "He is blind but he-"

"Oh I was talking about him being gay. With you. Carry on!"

"This... woman..." Gunnar sighed, reaching onto the boat and ripping out a giant slab of wood. It dwarfed Orin almost instantly, the viking ripping it off like it had barely been nailed on. "I am glad to see you safe. For a while there I had actually forgotten what brought us all to these damn temples... Necras has a way of warping your mind and just making you do battle for months and months and months..." Gunnar frowned, "Kills the ego. Makes a champion." He let out a surprising laugh however, "How did that All-Seeing Eye bitch react when it was you who came stumbling in there as her champ?"

Back on top of the deck Vex had grabbed a hold of Affi's hands forcibly, "It's so nice to meet you, Alf! I hope the blind one hasn't given you too much trouble. My man down there is a HANDFUL. Still cute though." She grinned wildly, her sharp teeth glistening with salvia as she blurted out, "Do you have any fruit? I'll do anything for some food of any kind but fruit.... Just... Mmm...." Vex began jumping up and down impatiently, "DON'T KEEP ME WAITING THIS IS A BIG SHIP PLEASE TELL ME YOU HAVE ANYTHING!" Her presence was an alarming one, not only presumably to the Seer she was now harassing but to the others. Here this ghost had taken over a corpse and was now running amok, no telling what her presence would bring.

"She didn't." Orin said, matter-of-factly, completely ignoring Vex. "She didn't react ... at all. I was alone for most of the time. I started carving into the walls of the temple. First I was just trying to keep track of the days, and then later I was trying to do anything to pass the time. I cursed, I called her a bitch, I gave her the one-finger salute ... nothing. She wasn't ... watching. I don't think." he said, though he didn't seem particularly broken up about it. He had come to terms with it. "Being forced to fight sounds worse though." he said, his face deadpanning as they worked. He helped Gunnar to pull boards off of the broken ship until they had a pile of boards that they could work into a raft. He was silent for the most part, deliberating on just what they were going to do.

He felt around the ship for rope, his hands cinching around a portion that had kept the front of the torn boat intact at one point. He lifted a foot up, pressing against the ship, the elongated, Ifritian nails he'd grown out through the years tearing the fabric apart strand by strand until it had given way, and he'd pulled a portion of it free. Nautical-sized nails splintered out of the boat as well, landing on the sand, where Orin had begun to tediously gather them.

"Do you have a ghost hammer?" he asked Gunnar. "Preferably not one made out of the soul of a dwarf."

Affi's eyes had widened to dinner plates as she looked at Vex. For a while, her mouth gaped open, unsure of how to respond to the freakishly strong wraith who had just bounded from the sand to the ship. There was something horribly off about them all, and she had managed to get involved in it. Now, the sharp-toothed woman was in her face, reflecting an insanity back that she had never seen in a Seer before. "I-I... I-uh... There's..." she glanced up. "F-fruit ... barely grows anymore. No - no, I'm sorry, there's no fruit." she said, and shortly after, the ship creaked and slanted downwards as Gunnar tore off another piece of it. It was about to come fully apart.

"If you all ... if you all continue to do this ..." she started, wavering but frustrated, "Central is bigger than it has ever been." she hissed, taking on the trademark cocky assurance that all the Seers have had before. "We must go back to Central. I don't ... know how long you've all been here, in these temples, but the world is different now. It's safe there. I won't let you go to the other temples." she said, pulling her hands away from Astra. "I already alerted them to the fact that the temples are open; they're going to get here quicker than you can build your boat."

She began to step backwards toward the ladder off the boat, but she kept her body toward Vex.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back