• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Descension (C.DEX x Notorious)

"The doom ... I see it now." Orin whispered grimly. "The children aren't going to be able to hide like us, Sin, what about Esse and Silora? And Adam?" He questioned, the names itching at his sister's mind. She had always been strong for him, but now ... now the threat of death was really real. She wasn't entirely sure that Gunnar was going to come back, and there had been no sign of Bal. Worried sick, and not sure if it was her place to fight, Sinna clutched to her brother for a moment. "I'll be fine. I'll stay here." He said, quietly.

"No. I left you once and ... it's not going to happen again. Okay? We're going to stick together." She said. Then, something had caught her attention. The guards were surrounding the forests, lights smeared into their hands illuminating where they were. The Captain had taken position on the beach side of the forest. And surprisingly ... He had put his weapons away. The Lamian man, just visible from their positioning, opened his palms to his sides. Then, the air around him began to smolder. Wisps of fire concentrated in his palms until they had become raging infernos. And then, he cast the horrible black and red flames toward the forests, setting them ablaze. Sinna raised her hand to her mouth, shocked at what she was seeing. They were razing not only the church, but their beloved forest that had surrounded it.

"Oh no... Orin, we have to go." She said, pulling her brother along. Unfortunately for them, they had fallen straight into the guard's trap. As they were forced out into the clearing, concealment spell dissipated by their movement, the light that had protected them for so long had now shone in their direction. Soon, they were being descended upon, a man of elvish variety had scooped Sinna up in his arms, ripping her away from her brother. She screamed and fought, hands tearing toward his eyes and only meeting metal.

"ORIN RUN!" She shouted, just before she had been slammed into the ground. Orin staggered a step away, hands balling into fists. He wasn't sure he could do it without her, but... The sounds of fighting filled his ears as the guard wrestled to keep the surprisingly fierce Ifrit girl from coming loose. Orin lurched forward, grasping for the root of the emanation and latching onto its back, arms positioned to strangle him. The blind Ifrit wasn't exactly short, either, but he certainly wasn't strong enough to keep him from simply elbowing his sides into oblivion ... which he did.

Hurt, Orin fell backwards. Sinna lurched forward, only to be met with the merciless hook of a guard trained to deal with such a situation. Blood met air. And then the guard was advanced upon by a third angle. Balor, with black fingers and a bloodied blade caked in dark fluid, slashed toward the guard, nicking him.

That was all it had taken. As the guard went to draw his weapon - as they had been allowed the opportunity to kill the Prisma, but not the Shade - he began to grow sluggish like the other, soon falling in front of them. Despite everything, or perhaps because it was simply easier, the Alchemist did not kill. He kneeled, suddenly. Then, they had seen how badly he was injured.

"Bal?!" Sinna cried. "Bal, where do we go? Where do we take you?" She asked, concerned with both Orin and him.

"I don't know." He said, weakly. "They're razing the forests ... The ... The Church. It's over. Take your brother and run." He said, clutching his chest where he had pulled the blade out. "Pick a direction that isn't here and go."

Sinna shook her head, refusing to leave, even as he raised his voice to yell at her. "GO!" He yelled, wanting nothing more than to see them out of the situation. Hurt, Orin still rose to his feet, pulling Bal along with him.

"You're going to be my eyes, pops." Orin said. "I'll be your legs. Sin?"

"There might be cliffs along the coastline, but..." She looked back to the blazing forests as her own people were grabbed to be later slaughtered. Then, back to Bal. He was pale, clammy, and shifting between passing out and barely staying conscious. "Take him there. Can you get there, Ori?"

"I can try." He said.

"We need Gun. I'll meet you there." She said, taking off back toward the forest.

"He has to be here somewhere!" A hunter shouted to his group, them corralling a big group of the escaped shades in a clear patch of woods. They had long since picked up on the man slaughtering them, only catching glimpses of the grizzled savage as he tore from tree to tree taking them all out one at a time. They realized being off on their own was getting them killed and not one of them had been able to reach the others near the front or the Captain who was busy torching the forests. The flames had spread, the tops of nearly all of the nearby trees lit ablaze totally obliterating any cover the darkness provided. "Form a circle around the shades! We can not allow this barbarian to take any more of us... He wants these people alive, do not allow them to escape. They must pay for their crimes they-" Suddenly the jaw of the hunter speaking was cleaved off smoothly as if it had been made of butter, followed by the same sword that had sliced it off met the man's gut.

The hunters barely had time to react to Gunnar who was now playing to his strengths. He wasn't good at stealth, he could hunt but when it came down to a fight he excelled at open combat. At least six guards faced him now, all turning to see that their brother had just been sliced up as if he was nothing. They seen the barbarian before them and couldn't believe their eyes when they seen how ruthless the viking had been to their comrade. No one fought this way on the mainland, there was some dignity when mainlanders fought, a mutual respect in a sense and some finesse in their style. None of that was present with Gunnar as he flung that very same ghostly sword at one of the other hunters nailing him directly in the neck. Blood burst out from the wound and sprayed the shades sitting around on the ground, causing them all to scream in response from the brutality.

"DEMON!" An Ifrit hunter shouted, ironically so as Gunnar jumped over the entire group of Shades to meet with that very Ifrit. He slammed his fist into the man's stomach causing the wind to be knocked out of his lungs, Gunnar then grabbed the Ifrit by the horns and forcibly flung him around towards the archers that were taking aim at him. Arrow after arrow pelted the Ifrit as Gunnar used him as a shield, still holding him back by the horns. Then, with a disgustingly loud crack, Gunnar ripped the Ifrit's head to the side as hard as he could and snapped his neck.

"Run." Gunnar instructed to the Shades as the way was at least half way clear to them now. They all struggled to get to their feet but when they did they began to charge away from the burning forest as fast as their feet would let them. The archers began firing at them but ultimately missed when one of the shades flung their hand out and a shield of dark energy appeared absorbing each of the arrows. Now that Gunnar realized they could handle himself he went after the remaining hunting party with the same intensity as the others, holding his hand out for the next weapon the Wraith had in mind for him. What appeared jolted him as the same short sword from before appeared but also on his other arm appeared a short shield, perfect for deflecting arrows. "You know just what I like." Gunnar said with a smirk before charging back into battle.

The archers began focusing on Gunnar now that the Shades were long gone and the viking had cut off their path to them. They kept him pinned just long enough for a few more hunters to converge on their location, the sounds of screams and battle had attracted reinforcements.

"MORE!" Gunnar shouted, running into the group of archers and tackling through them as they were knocking more arrows. He knocked down three of them but got hit with two arrows in his back as he charged through, causing Gunnar to roar in pain as he turned to face those who struck him. With a flick of his wrist he sliced the neck of one of the archers then flung the blade backwards, jabbing it up and into the other archer's rib cage. He had lodged the sword too deep so he let go, only for it to disappear from the wounded hunter's body and reappear in his hand. "CHILD MURDERERS!" Gunnar shouted into the group of hunters that were now converging on his location. "DO YOU ENJOY BURNING DOWN CHURCHES AND FORESTS? ALL FOR SHADE BLOOD!" A hunter came swinging at Gunnar but he dodged to the side, narrowly avoiding the blade. He then bashed his shield into the hunter's face followed by finishing him with his blade. "BRING IT! I WANT YOU ALL!" He shouted, slamming his sword into the next hunter that came for him.

Gunnar was making such a big scene even more shades were able to escape but now he was losing the advantage as the entire hunting party was now headed towards all the noise. Even the Captain.

"You have to leave soon." The Wraith instructed, actually beginning to be worried for the enraged viking as he murdered hunter after hunter. "You are being overrun. Not even you can survive this."

"I WILL LEAVE WHEN THEY ARE DEAD!" He shouted out loud, looking more crazier than he had initially. "Your gods damn you!" Gunnar said, cleaving hunter after hunter with an axe in hand after his sword had crumbled from overuse. "They bless a Shade! You are being killed by the very thing you hunt!" Then, he took four more arrows to his front. With a roar he cleaved them off with his axe but foolishly left most of the arrowheads in, adding more wounds to the collection. Gunnar cleaved one final hunter and realized this was a losing fight after he was hit with more arrows to his back, the man slowly becoming a pincushion for the hunter's. If it wasn't for his wraith he'd be long dead, keeping the injuries at bay while he fought with all his might. Finally, with his last shred of sense he began to run back into the trees as the Captain was arriving. He charged through the woods as fast as he could being as injured as he was. Even the Wraith's whispers had begun to grow quieter, both of them losing energy the longer this went on.

"Run..." The Wraith said weakly. "We can not allow this to be our final battle... This is only the beginning." It hissed, disappointed in himself that he had let Gunnar go this far. "Run..."

Sinna ran fast, feeling as if her feet were flying behind her as she sprinted. She took toward the blazing forests, a rare sight for the situation at hand. Orin and Balor walked together, slower than was truly helpful, but they walked together nonetheless. The former did the very best job he could of keeping Balor upright, his hand clasped to the bleeding chest of the man. They were illuminated by the reds and yellows of the blazing fires on the tops of the trees, but luckily, they gone unnoticed for the time being.

"Gunnar!" Sinna yelled, looking all around as ash fell like soft snow. They desperately needed help, or else they were going to lose each other. Primarily, Balor. The Seers had long since gone, though, and all she was was the blazing whites and goldens of her home continent. But then, something came charging out of the treelines. Then, she had seen the injuried, jolting form of the human they had pulled from the beach. He was a quiver. "Oh, fuck. Gunnar? Gunnar, we - we need your help. Bal is hurt, badly. And so are you ... he has his potions with him, if you could help Orin get him to a cave, we might be able to treat you both." she said, frowning, but entirely sure if even taking Gunnar on after seeing his injuries was a good idea.

Still, he helped them. The Shades. And them. In his own bloody, violent manner. The Ifrit girl approached him, less hesitance than she had shown before, proffering to help him walk. She wasn't able to fully hold his weight, of course, but as long as he remained upright, then they'd still be going. Adrenaline fueled them both, coursing through their veins. Little did she know, however, the Captain was coming straight for their location. The lights on their hands mattered not anymore, as the blaze burned brighter, concealing their locations.

Then, she heard him.

"Come out, Unclaimed!" the Captain called, voice filled with hate and rage. "We don't want you, so we'll make your death quick! We wish to talk to the blights amongst this land! That is all!" he said, wicked grimace on his face. The volume of his voice told that he was close. Gunnar had left a body trail leading all the way to him. And they'd be more than surrounded in a moment; with the Viking's state, there was no way that they could run fast enough to stop the encroaching forces.

Sinna pulled him to the ground, covering his head as if there were gunfire.

"Stay still. Hide. Please. If you move and they see us, they'll kill us both." she whispered, already having gotten the hint that Gunnar wasn't the hiding sort. But the situation quickly called for it. She concentrated, forcing their forms to shimmer away quicker than she had before. "If you fuck this up, I'm going to kill you again once your freaky ass dead God brings you back from being killed by this guy."

Quite a few of the Shades had been captured, though it seemed to be an equal amount to those who had gotten away thanks to Gunnar's efforts. Their forms blotted the night, indistinguishable to it. Then, the Captain and his men had come out of the bush, weapons drawn, fire in hand. They fanned out, looking around for their spectral-bladed attacker, but the trail had run cold. Little did they know, they were right in front of them. Sinna's breathing quickened as she had begun to panic.

"Don't breathe."

A little ways away, the commotion caused by Gunnar had given Balor and Orin the time to limp toward a still-darkened area, where his mentor finally collapsed against the cliffside. Orin gritted his teeth, frustrated. "You don't get to die here, old man." he said, grasping his arms and beginning to pull Balor against the wet grass. When he found that they wouldn't get far, Orin began to have his own inner panic. "Hold on." he hissed. "You don't get to be a badass and then just die. Come on."

Balor looked up to Orin with hazy eyes. "Give me my bag." he said.

With the guards all around them both of their breathing quickened, even with Sinna saying not to breath it couldn't be help as the adrenaline was beginning to be too much. Gunnar was a bit annoyed she was on top of him, shielding his head whilst being on the ground as it began to dig the arrows in his back deeper in. The longer they stayed the more pain in he was in and to hear the girl panicking herself it was making a grim situation worse. While he was all for attacking head on with stealth be damned he gently patted her side to her surprise.

"Ease up Sinna, we're safe.... Calm." He said, ironically so as he was freaking out himself. Not in the sense that they were about to be caught, but more so that there were still hunters living. Even in his condition he wanted to continue the fight, to extinguish their flames and get revenge for what they had done to the shades and a once beautiful church as the fire from the forest began to spread to it. They both could see it happen clear as day from where they were, the entire building engulfed in flames before too long. Gunnar began to sit up, pushing Sinna slightly and weakening the spell but the arrows digging into him were becoming too much. The Wraith was hard at work, keeping the pressure of the arrows off of Gunnar but it was a trivial task, he needed medical attention.

Soon the hunting party had all passed them, rushing deeper into the woods looking for Gunnar. They all assumed he kept running, especially after his show of strength it was the only thing they could imagine he did. A warrior like that with so much rage wasn't bound to be caught hiding anywhere, only to simply lay an ambush perhaps but they felt like they were still hot on his trail. Soon Gunnar completely shoved Sinna off of him, not out of annoyance but more out of to save his own back from being punctured further. He tried to stand up but stumbled to the ground, landing on his knees and giving Sinna a real good look at what had been happening to him.

"Most... of the shades got out..." He said panting, even he couldn't hide the pain on his face this time around. "I'm not sure how many were taken but I got at least a dozen of them out. Maybe 10... I didn't have time to count their heads, I was too busy taking the hunters out." They had noticed just how thinned out the party had become, Gunnar and Balor both really did create a noticeable dent within their ranks. "Are you okay?" He asked to her surprise, looking the Ifrit girl over to make sure she hadn't been hit too. When she wasn't he was about to continue speaking but suddenly the church behind them exploded into green flames as Balor's laboratory had been hit. The explosion sent a massive wave of heat and flames throughout the rest of the forest, acting like a bomb detonating and completely obliterating the rest of the church. Gunnar frowned but began to stand up, wobbling to his feet as he did. "I hope everyone got out of that... Damn them..."

The hunting party pressed on into the woods, their armored boots thundering throughout the untouched woods as they left the area surrounding the church. They had no idea how close they were to Orin and Balor but luckily for them they pressed right on, searching for Gunnar and the escaped shades like rabid dogs. They all cared not for the wild life or nature as they tore through everything they could, ripping through the underbrush in search for those that were hiding.

"Let's... get to Orin. Did Balor make it out?" He asked Sinna as she began to lead him back to the others. "I was trying to make my way to the church but got... distracted." Distracted was an understatement, especially when he had went on his own rampage. "Is the main land always been like this?" He also asked, curious to see if it was always this action packed. "I thought the skies were a war zone sometimes... I'm here for a day and having to slaughter more than I have in months. And against these disgusting people... I've never faced anyone like them before."

“He made it out, but he was hurt. So’s Orin. I got attacked by a guard, but Bal saved us.” Sinna said, voice still hushed out of instinct. The thundering boots had since passed - as passed as they could, given everything’s close vicinity - but that didn’t mean that there wasn’t still danger lurking. She had known that the Shades had made it out, but the members of the church that had protected them? They didn’t have the advantage of the darkness. It was just the opposite, as they had passed the red-stained corpses of the twins’ former friends. Sinna clasped her hands to her mouth, almost unable to comprehend the carnage.

“It’s … it’s always been like this for us. I forgot what it was like to be caught. We’re further out near the coasts, but in the main cities, it’s even worse. They control the magic and the mana, pipe it through … veins in the city. That way when someone is born there, they’re born without powers. Easier to control. They find those with powers, and make them…” she thought to the Captain, setting the forests ablaze with a flick of his hand. “Either subservient, or paint them as savages, forcing them into the ghettoes and treated as monsters. I’ve been there, to the main city, once…”

She sighed.

“There’s people like Bal and Orin. Bal can do more than he shows, but he’s afraid, because he’s Lamia. The mana that goes through them gets perverted. And Orin …” she grew misty-eyed with worry for the both of them. “He … we’re twins, but he got stronger when … when he was blinded. Even if we weren’t Shades, we wouldn’t be accepted. Not in the main lands.”

Sinna and Gunnar picked up their pace as much as they possibly could with Gunnar’s wounds. The scene they had come across was as grisly as the rest of them. Despite his purple-hued skin, the Lamian man that had saved the siblings was paled due to bloodloss, clammy skin highlighting his features, eyes only then coming down from the green Alchemist fire that his lab had wreaked upon the church. He was lying down, head on Orin’s lap as the blind twin had pressed down on his chest, ebbing the bloodflow.

“I would say … that I need to go to a Hospital, but … As it happens, mine was just destroyed.” he said, nearly chuckling. His hands sifted through the messy assortment of vials in his bag, weakly pulling each out to look at them. He’d gotten bored, and done far too much creative work for his liking. And while that had come in handy when he was attempting to save the Shades, it had hurt him when he was looking for the plain old, ordinary healing salves. “Here it is.” he said, finally. Inside of the bottle, it almost looked as if liquid fire was sloshing around, waiting any moment to escape.

He took Orin’s hand, pouring the contents of the bottle into it. Then, he pressed it to his own chest, knowing well that he might not be strong enough to keep it on there happen that he do it. Balor screamed out as it activated against his blood, searing the wound and filling the air with the smell of burning flesh.

“Ohshityoucouldhavewarnedme-“ Orin stammered out, glancing up and toward where the guards had gone to. Balor was loud; loud enough to draw ire. They had to keep moving. Orin flicked the flaming liquid off of his hand, letting it fall to the surprisingly damp lands below, and assisted Sinna with pulling the injured Lamian man to his feet.

Gritting his teeth, Balor looked to the blind twin. “I would have … told you to go on, Orin, but … to be completely honest,” he started, words strained. “…I didn’t want to die. And … thank you, Gunnar. I… may have been perhaps too cruel, but we’ll … we’ll treat your wounds once we get somewhere safe. By the looks of it, they’re going to be more painful than that.”

“Okay. Enough talking.” Sinna said, struggling to keep Balor up. They took toward safety once again, though this time, significantly slower.

"I did not understand why you were so cruel at first to be honest. I thought you were just a dickhead." Gunnar said with a chuckle, trialing behind them whilst keeping a watchful eye on their surroundings. "Now with these hunters and all this death... I can see why you were so careful. No need to apologize." He grunted, grabbing his side and foolishly ripping out an arrow that had been digging into him too deeply. He plugged the leaking wound with his finger, the Wraith within him cursing as it began to attempt to seal the wound. It too had been weakened the more Gunnar was injured, the small healing factor he had being near useless at this point. "We need to get somewhere safe, I'm a god damn pin cushion right now." One of the arrows dragged across the cliff side they were walking along, causing the Viking to shiver in pain as the eerie sensation of the arrow moving slowly like that was enough to make anyone jump out of their own skin.

"If you remove another arrow I'm going to stop your heart." The Wraith hissed, it too feeling its own form of pain with how injured Gunnar was. "You haven't been this hurt since your clan took on that Molt warship."

"That was a beautiful battle... The skies were ablaze, the Molts were plenty. We still have that ship I think in our fleet." Gunnar said out loud, smiling to himself. When the others gave him a weird look he replied, "Oh... Sorry, talking to the Wraith." This caused them to look at him even weirder. "The spirit Orin had mentioned before he... I guess he's my side kick at this point. He generates weapons for me, speaks with me. It hasn't been all that long since he started to speak but if you hear me say something too outlandish... chances are I'm talking to him."

"Tell them... I say... hi."

"He says hi." Gunnar added, even with how much pain he was going through he offered a goofy grin as they pressed on. Soon they had passed the cliff side they had been hiding behind but quickly found a new issue. The hunting party was ahead and they were running out of cover the more they left the forest, the trees thinning as they began to follow the coast line. "We need a distraction of some sort... We won't make it through that line if they stay this close to the coast and who knows when they'll turn around, we'll be right in their line of sight at that point."

"I will take care of it." The Wraith said before leaving Gunnar, the viking instantly noticing the wraith's absence as he doubled over in pain. He took for granted how much the spirit had done for him thus far, so much so that he nearly passed out from the massive amount of pain. Sinna took over carrying Balor while Orin dropped Balor's other arm and supported Gunnar, the much more difficult task but someone needed to do it. It was a rather odd sight, two young adults supporting the two much larger men to move with danger at every turn. It was the most exhilarating thing anything any of them done in recent time for better or worse. Soon the Wraith had made its way to the hunting party, watching them press forward from behind the veil of death. It began to focus its energy and began to manifest in the physical realm, taking the form of an injured man who was groaning loudly and running through the woods. The hunters immediately caught on to his prescience and began running towards him, the wraith disappearing behind a tree and giving the hunters something to chase in the opposite direction. "They are distracted, move." It said quieter than it ever had before, its energy long gone after manifesting.

"They're... moving away..." Gunnar groaned, his wounds growing worse by the second. "We gotta get going or me and Balor are as good as dead."

As the guards filtered away, Orin and Sinna simultaneously pulled Gunnar and Balor faster than they could manage, pulling them to stay on their feet and keep the pace. As much as neither of them had particularly liked causing any more pain to their traveling companions, time was of the essence. And then, as the fire crackling died down and the cliffside began to obscure their vision, it almost seemed like it could have been a peaceful night. Still, the blaze of trees and their former Church had highlighted red reflections on the waters, letting them know that they could never truly escape what had happened. With sadness, Sinna looked out to them.

“We’re on the beach.” she said. “Underneath the cliff, Orin. Where we first…”

“The cave?” he asked.

“The cave.” she said, quietly. “With the glowing mushrooms.” she said. Soon, a small diver had appeared in the cliffside; a small entrance, perhaps even smaller than the cove that had been carved out beneath the church. Gunnar would barely fit through it, especially with the protruding arrow shafts that still slightly poked out of his body, cleaved off at the feathery bases. But he would just have to manage. Sinna pulled Balor to the entrance, dropping him near it. His eyes lulled up to the night sky, cursing the very same constellation that lied in the sky. Orin’s eye opened, blackened sphere becoming visible once again.

“Onyx is in the sky, tonight.” Orin said. “How fucking apt.”

Orin left Gunnar’s side, Sinna taking his place. While Orin began to pull Balor into the cove, Sinna began work on shortening the arrow shafts with the knife Balor had pulled out of his own body. It was hilted in silver with a blade sharp enough to cut through the wooden arrow shafts like butter. “I wouldn’t normally do this, it’s going to make them harder to pull out, but… if they get shifted while you’re trying to fit in there with us, you're going to die for sure." She said, registering his pain. Then, she helped him to the cave entrance. It was going to be an ordeal for both the poor Viking and the specter, both hanging on a thread due to his injuries. Orin prepared to receive him at the bottom, stifling his own pain for the rest of them.

Then, through a barely contained, immense amount of pain, Gunnar was just barely able to fit inside. Luckily, the inside was much bigger than the entrance. As both of the older men collapsed, they were treated to an amazing sight. Abovehead, fungal life dotted the cave walls like stars, connecting to each other like constellations, casting soft blue light over them all. White and blue glowing phosphorous floated through the air like fireflies, small streaks of light wisping around them. They almost began to feel rejuvenated, for a reason that wasn't readily apparent. The air was saturated with mana, a natural cove that was untouched.

Except for the markings.

Script lined the cave walls, embedding itself in a pronounced enough manner for Orin himself to have been able to feel it. Not a concern to them right now, but it detailed a small story. One that Sinna herself must have written for her brother, a keepsake for him on the long days he had been left alone there before the siblings could find true refuge in the church.

A ring of stones had marked the middle of the roomy cove, where they had stoked the fire to keep them warm. They may have had to use it again once more as Gunnar and Balor healed. For then, however, Sinna grabbed Balor's bag as he rested, while Orin tore a scrap of fabric from his own robe to wet in the salt-water divet in the small puddle that had formed in the corner of the cove.

"I can't seal your wounds when there's arrows in them. I'm going to let you rest ... And then we'll start. It'll hurt. But I've taken care of Orin and I here before." She said, grabbing a bottle and handing it off to Gunnar. "Drink this for now, and sleep."

Gunnar downed the bottle as if it was something tasty and immediately regretted it. The look of disgust on his face was unmistakable as he groaned at the bitter sour drink. He began to hazily look around the room, his vision beginning to blur almost instantly as the healing potion took in effect. A normal dosage was a spoonful, he had drank the entire bottle and then some. It was necessary but he was about to go on a ride that he soon wouldn't forget.

"Wash... I... shopoosed ta drinksth all of hat?" He slurred, hilariously so as the wounded viking immediately collapsed from the overdose of the potion. Luckily he would only fall asleep and has some ridiculously vivid dreams as a side effect but it showed maybe he was a bit too trusting of those he had just met. The drink helped him sleep and knocked him out harder than anyone could have imagined. The poor man had been flung from the heavens and put into forced hibernation from his Wraith, only to awake and immediately get thrown into conflict quicker than most would have liked. In reality Gunnar had enjoyed his time with the twins and Balor thus far a little too much, as terrible as everything had been this sure beat being in an Avar cell like he had been rotting in for some time.

Before they all knew it several days had passed them by, time becoming a non-factor as they were in hiding. The Church and the ruins had been ransacked time and time again by the hunters until finally about two days ago they stopped returning. Unbeknownst to the small group of Shades and their caretaker most of the children and other Shades had managed to escape the hunter's grasp. A handful had died, as to be expected, and the Prisma church brothers and sisters had all been slaughtered due to being accessories to hiding the poor Shades. It was a necessary sacrifice, if they stopped fighting now then the world would forever be segregated due to some arbitrary forbidden signs.

Gunnar and Balor both had been slowly raised by the smell of bacon. They had both slept for days on and off, spending a little time interacting with the twins who were doing their best to keep them safe, well fed and taken care of. The mana in the cave took what may have been a life threatening injury and turned it into a matter of time, rather than a death sentence. While the hours had been boring they all managed to find a way to keep themselves occupied whilst not sleeping with Sinna somehow procuring the meat while Orin spent his time with Gunnar and Balor when they were awake. To his surprise, even the Wraith was able to interact with Orin. He had thrown a pebble out of sheer boredom only to have it thrown right back at him from the specter. He was the only one that could see him and as such a game of catch between a ghost and a blind man was formed while the others rested.

"Is that... bacon?" Gunnar grunted, sitting up a little too quickly and looking around frantically until he spotted Sinna and Orin cooking breakfast. He had been stripped of his tunic and for the first time he looked down at his wounds to find them expertly bandaged, many of them miraculously healed by the enhanced powers of the cave and his wraith. "I sure hope that's bacon... With a side of mead and maybe another side of mead we'd have a Veldard style breakfast!" He said heartily, standing up and letting out a loud roar as he stretched successfully for the first time in a long while. "Rise and shine Balor. We've been lazy for far too long and I think this cave is starting to make me panic a little with how small it is. How are you two doing today?"

"Sinna killed the church's pet pig." Orin said.

"...Well, it's not like he was going to survive in the wild, anyways." Sinna replied. In reality, she had had to take the role of hunter on when she was the sole caretaker of her brother. After joining up with the church, she didn't have to worry about it for a while. Now was a different story. Her eyes were slightly glazed; while Balor, Gunnar, and Orin didn't have the venture far, it wasn't a choice for the girl. She'd seen a few things venturing outside that she rather wouldn't have; the bodies of the Prisma brothers and sisters that had fallen, being a few of them. She pushed the thought aside. "Where would we get mea-"

"No mead." Balor grunted, pulling himself backwards towards to wall to prop himself up. He'd pulled a stack of fabric out from under him, soon realizing that it was the tattered remnants of his own, strips ripped out of it by Orin and Sinna to take place of bandages. "Not that you'll find any around here. We're West of the Bridge of Fire; all of our ale imports tend to be ... a little less sweet than you're used to."

"Don't have to be such a stick, Bal. If we're old enough to have all of our friends killed, we're old enough to drink." Orin said.

"Sure, if you want to be as small as you are for the rest of your life." Balor said, narrowing his eyes toward Orin. He seemed rejuvenated, apart from a small emanation of pain every time he had shifted in place. In reality, he had still been in quite a bit, but the promise of good food after several days of being unable to keep it down was a blessing. Sinna served him several pieces, happy to see that he was becoming more lucid, despite the grim subject at hand.

"Wait a second. Gun. You have pigs on the floating islands? Are they ... pigs that fly? Because if so, I think the colloquism when I had last asked about the subject to Bal was, 'when pigs fly'. Wasn't it?" Orin replied, a smile on his bruised face.

"Clever, but..." Balor grunted. "I won't assist in supplying alcohol to minors. As for getting up, that's probably a good idea. We may want to move soon. I'm not entirely sure if my connections are still alive, but ... I may be able to find someone able to get us out of this ... this God-forsaken city once we get out there. If we're not apprehended simply by the way we look."

"I'm fine, Gunnar. Thank you for asking." Sinna said, though her tone was still relatively serious. "My face hurts. Didn't think I was going to get punched. But at least I didn't get turned into a pincushion and stabbed in the chest. There were hunters on the beach on the second day, but none of you 'cept Orin were lucid enough to notice. Now would be a good time to leave."

Orin's interest seemed to pique once again. "Gunnar needs to find his ship."

"That I do." He said, shoveling bacon in his mouth as if it was the last food on the planet. It was his first real meal in what felt like forever, the Avar's being unkind to him feeding him scrap while he had nothing to eat since falling from home. That bacon might as well have been the cure to everything bad in the universe as right now, Gunnar was happy. Almost too happy given their present situation but he couldn't help it. It was crispy, flavorful and had just the right amount of fat on it. Even if it had been burnt and dry Gunnar would have probably found it exquisite but there was something special about this bacon. "The church's pet pig may be the best pig I've ever eaten." Gunnar confessed as he inhaled the rest of the flavorful meat, wanting more but knowing that the rest of said pig would feed them during their travels until they found the closest town. Even then they would run into the problem of needing money as well. "And, not to bring you more trouble Balor... But..." He smirked, "There are flying boar at the Isles of Arcadia, Orin. They're pretty fucking terrifying honestly, they have razor sharp tusks and bat like wings, they eat people that aren't fast enough to escape or strong enough to fight. Tell you what... If you ever managed to kill one Orin, I'd buy you all the mead you'd want until you went green. Until then, listen to Balor. Give it a few years, if we're still around, I'll toss one back with you. Or five."

Suddenly, a rock shot out from the ground and hit Gunnar directly inbetween the eyes, the same rock that the Wraith and Orin had been playing with.

"Looks like you made a friend, Orin." Gunnar said, rubbing his head while the Wraith scolded him on encouraging the boy to drink. "Alright, alright... Damn." Gunnar stood up after eating every last bit of bacon after he had taken a seat to eat with them all, wiping his hands on his pants as he peaked out the entrance of the cave and could see the sun was just beginning to rise. "We all done?" No one had even began to finish their meals, Gunnar had simply was so desperate for food that he didn't even hardly had any time to taste it properly. "Or.... not. We'll head out when you all are finished. I figure you all will want to find the next place to live while I'm looking for a ship back so... Let's stick together." He smiled at them, "Not like I know where I'm going and with those damn seers and hunters all over then you can use the extra hands. And, if I get shot up again, you can bring me back to health." He gave them a big hearty laugh as they all finished their meals soon and were packing up their things.

It was rather depressing that most of their belongings had been torched in the fire or confiscated by the hunting party. Anything of value had been taken for the hunters themselves while anything sentimental was left to burn in the fire. The three of them really did lose something special in those flames, not even including the friends and family they had lost in the escape. Gunnar led the way out of the cave, eager to see the stars lighting the morning sky and to get a breath of fresh air. He squeezed through the tiny inlet and was surprised he had even managed to make it inside there at all, it was a miracle he wasn't dead right now.

As soon as the fresh air hit his lungs he almost teared up, the pure bliss of taking in the outdoor air after being trapped in a dank cave for so long was one of the best sensations he ever felt. He seen the same look of relief on Balor's face as well as the twins, although they had been able to move freely it wasn't the same without their mentor and protector, even leaving their new viking friend alone had been certainly difficult given his condition.

"That is the most beautiful sight I've seen, other than my Nora." He said, beaming as he looked out to sea. "I've seen the twins suns rise above the clouds and radiate down on an amazing expanse of land magically floating in the sky yet... Something about this sight right now means more to me than that." Gunnar laughed it off, not wanting to appear too soft to the others as he appreciated the view. "Well then... Where to? I am in no position to find a way back home just yet and you all could use my help so where would a good place be to go? We could use some new clothes." He commented, "We all look and smell like shit. I haven't bathed in far too many days unless you count salt water and... I think there's blood still on my face." He looked at them and frowned, "We don't have any money, do we?" He was beginning to realize how grim their situation really was.

Orin seemed to calm slightly as Gunnar described the sights, envisioning them in his head. Then, as the grunt of his mentor had sounded, he snapped back, helping Balor out of the cove. Sinna came after, Balor's bag over her shoulder, slapping off the damp cave moss that had situated itself on her robes. They were all truly a sight; it was obvious they had been through an ordeal. While the blood that had taken up on their clothing had long since turned brown, hiding its intent, it still looked disheveled, torn in places where they had been hurt. Particularly, Bal and Gunnar, who had taken more than their fair share of slashing, stabbings, and arrows. Orin had been wearing his darker clothing when he had been captured, meaning that while the discoloring wasn't too horrible on him, it was more than obvious that he had been through an ordeal, just as well. Sinna had been wearing her Prismatic robes, unfortunately, and both the discoloration and tearing had made her look like a vagrant.

"I have a few Solets that I kept in my bag, probably enough to buy clothing, but... I'm not sure, other than that. I have someone who may be able to help us out, given that they haven't completely disassociated themselves with us..." he said, unsure, grasping out in his mind for any shred of hope. That wasn't to say that the consequences of what had happened didn't weigh on them heavily. There was very little hope in their regard. "I ... believe it may be wise for us to travel through the towns sparsely, at least until we may make ourselves look presentable. I imagine, however, that there will be more Seers brought into town if not now, then soon." he said, grimly. "What happened ... was a massacre. The people are going to want answers, and that means an increased presence. Perhaps more deaths." he sighed. "Regardless, now is a good time to travel. The sunrise is not their domain; the stars are."

"What Bal is trying to say in the most cryptic way possible is that we definitely really shouldn't go out at night, now." Orin clarified.

"That." Balor replied, still wincing. "I take back my previous ... inhibitions about you staying with us, Gunnar. As much as I ... don't enjoy the bloodshed that you bring, I see that at times, it may be necessary. You're more than welcome to stay with us while you look for a ship." the Alchemist said. After all, they had all been effectively saved by him. Though, they had all done it for each other, at a point. Without them, Gunnar may have drowned in a puddle. Without him, Orin would be gone and the Church would have ended horrifically worse for the Shades inside of it. "...You seem to no stranger to violence, still though, and you shouldn't attempt to bring it to us, regardless of how it had assisted -"

He was cut off suddenly as Orin spoke out. "Nora? Who's that?" he asked, following the spirit inside of Gunnar to keep his path. "There is still blood on your face, by the way. I considered dunking you in the cave puddle but you're heavy when you're nearly dead, and I was afraid that if I tried to roll you you might suffocate in your sleep." he said, smiling despite the circumstance.

"Are we going back to town, Bal?" Sinna asked, worry highlighting her features.

"We are. You three may hide, though ... I suppose, with current events, those under Prisma may be very well hunted in this locality as much as you all are." Balor said. "I cannot imagine Sister Fera's actions have not caused suffering and fear throughout the town."

They walked along the coast until a path had been shown to them. Worn into the floors by time, they had soon taken up the road back to town; it wasn't the main road there, that would simply be asking for trouble. Instead, a path carved by feet had shown itself. It was rough on them and slow, but the cliff on which the Church once sat wasn't extraordinarily far from town. For Gunnar and Balor, it did feel like a long walk. Especially the latter, who didn't have a specter to heal himself. In the distance and due to their elevation, they could see that the city stood proud. It was small as far as cities went, but strong and fortified; a major defensive checkpoint for previous wars with the continent just off of the coast. Walls sat high and proud, and crystalline streetlights still stayed illuminated from the night beforehand, guiding their way down toward it. An amalgation of magical, enchanted artifacts had made their life in the church look brutish by comparison, as as they had gone further toward it, the roads had become more paved, and the way had become more lit.

"If our Prisma weren't indebted to peace ... this would have been an act of war. We've been trampled on for far too long, providing the very light at which these people trawl the streets. And they extinguish ours. As if we weren't the people who built them." Balor grumbled, trying his best not to look behind him toward the Church. Ashes decorated the ground all the way up to the place in which it laid, blackening their former home. "It is ironic. Killing us will only bring darkness, the very thing they vehemently oppose."

As they were walking, Gunnar smiled at Orin who had taken in interest in what he had to say. He had a few choice words to Balor about violence and how he wasn't a stranger to it obviously but decided to save that conversation for another time and instead talked to Orin who was trailing behind him. He took in his question and also laughed at about how he would have suffocated in his sleep if Orin tried to wash his face off.

"I fall so incredibly far, get into a battle where I am severely out numbered yet... Twice now I have almost been killed by puddles. I thank you, Orin... Without you they may have got me. If you were a Veldard clansman you'd be titled Orin The Puddle Savior. As for your question Puddle Savior... Nora." He smiled brightly, as if the name itself brought him indescribable joy. At the same time however a brief look of sadness was painted on his face as he brought up her name. "Nora is my wife. She is the most beautiful woman in all of Veldard, the most fiercest warrior... Hell, I've learned most of what I can do from her." To think that there was someone more violent than Gunnar was a somewhat troubling thought to the others but the way he described her definitely brought up the mood. "We were always competing as children, yet somehow she always bested me. Whether she won fairly or if I simply stayed behind to watch her win. She helped me grow into a man very different than most Veldard men. My people are violent, unforgiving... they would slaughter whole villages just to feed one of our own. And... while I would most likely do the same for my own she brought into my life a warmth that I can not describe." He smirked, "She softened me up and made me a better man than I could ever hope to be."

He paused for a moment as they hit the paved roads, keeping an eye out for any guards as he didn't want such a pleasant story and stroll to be interrupted by bloodshed. Gunnar was paranoid of these lands, they were much more unforgiving than he would have hoped for. It seemed as if trouble had been following him even before he was exiled from his home.

"It's why I didn't slaughter you when you saved me from that puddle." He said abruptly. "Two demons, standing over me with wide eyes and huge horns jutting out of your heads? I would have taken your heads as trophies if it wasn't for Nora. I can not ask you all to join me in returning to my home but if you were ever to meet her, you should thank her." This caused an awkward lull in the conversation until finally Gunnar spoke again. "That was a joke. You're both too cute to be demons. Little baby ones maybe." He teased, stopping for a moment and nudging Orin gently. He seen Sinna was un-amused while he was entertaining Orin with his tale. "She is going to be unrelenting in telling me how terrible it would have been to lose me to a fucking puddle. That I don't really look forward to but... I miss her greatly."

"You will see her again." The Wraith replied, "When you are reunited I will... be sure to be absent."

"For your own safety I would, spirit." He replied with a grin, then turned to look at Balor as he began to speak of the Prisma and how ironic it was that those who were killing them were only bringing darkness. "Evil like that is dealt with eventually." Gunnar replied, "You Prismas are good folk, I can see that. You may want to see if your god would allow you to defend yourselves... I know speaking to the gods is next to impossible but if it was meant to be you'd get a message. A sign. She would not just forsake her followers to darkness, I assure you. And, on the off chance she does not allow it, I will help extinguish their light instead of you and your people's."

"Sinna can be a demon if she's in the right mood. Demon bitch." Orin teased, grinning. It almost seemed as if the seriousness of their situation on the beach surpassed him, while Sinna's quiet lamenting toward the subject at hand had snapped away as she reached out to elbow Orin. Hard. A tinge of angry, darkened red. In that moment, she did look cute. 'Cute' wasn't the word that she would have used to describe herself however, especially after having spent so long fiercely defending her brother. She quietly sized Gunnar up, looking to Balor soon after.

The Lamian man's eyes widened as he listened to Gunnar explain of how he would have killed the twins, looking to him with what looked like a sliver of fear, even as he had explained that it had been a joke. "I would certainly hope so. I ..." he stopped himself before he had recanted his virtue of pacifism. "Would have to find some loopholes in my pledges, in that case. I would hate for that to happen." He said, catching a distraught face from Orin as he had. The man simply turned his head forward, acting as if he has said nothing at all.

"It's not as simple as, say just ... speaking to a Goddess, Gunnar. No less to ask to go against her creed. As much, sometimes, as I want to. I admit to those sins, but..." Balor sighed, clenching his hand to his chest where his wound was. "And she never forsakes. As long as there is always light in the world, she will be there. But if there is not..."

"Not this again." Orin said. "I'm blind and I know that the light's never going to go out, Bal." The Shaded Seer mumbled, with the scorn of someone who had heard the same conspiracy time and time again. Sinna rolled her eyes, just as well, to Balor's proud dismay.

"Anyhow, I am sure you will find your wife again. The floating islands are not going anywhere, anytime soon. I personally haven't read of your people's presence, though due to the secretive nature of Avarian society, I don't find that too surprising. Regardless, it means that you aren't a speck to anyone down here, and you're all the safer for it." he said. "Whatever assistance you need down here, as well, before we part ways again, I should be happy to provide." he said. "...Depending on what you're asking, of course."

There was a certain arrogance about Balor, even as he spoke about helping others. It was one that had niggled at those in his company, though the twins had long since learned to endure it. It was a trait that the Lamian people had tended to possess. Where his loyalties lied was certain, however, as he trudged through the destruction of his church and his people without much of a word toward it.

"Perhaps I can show you a way to resolve your problems without resorting to slaughtering entire villages." Balor remarked.

The town was coming into view. It stood tall, with massive walls, though coming up to it had dilapidated its appearence. From close, it was evident that it was a town of age, built in a time where the need for defense had somewhat passed. Perhaps they would have rebuilt their rubbled sections of walls if they had known what trouble would come their way. Still, the presence of Central guards was known; after the ordeal of the church, vigilance parties had been set up. They had seen them from afar, posted with both Central and local guards.

"Hopefully it hasn't been long enough for them to bring in more Seers. This town will soon become an incredibly dangerous place to us." Balor said. "Sinna...?"

"All juiced up!" Sinna said, somewhat cheerfully. In truth, she was. The small natural mana reserve they had been staying them had them all feeling a little giddier and a little more lively. "Though I'm not sure how long I can alakazam all of us. It'd help if you two weren't annoyingly large." she said, looking to Balor and Gunnar. "Huddle up."

They all huddled together and shortly after the all juiced up Sinna cloaked them completely. Though how long they would be cloaked was up for debate they were able to walk almost freely through the city, albeit a little cramped together as they all huddled about eachother and took small steps in order to stay close to one another. With Sinna sandwiched in the middle with Orin while Gunnar was behind them all, Balor led the way to one of his last remaining contacts in town. He didn't offer any details on his contact but the pale look on his face along with the trepidation in his step it couldn't be anyone pleasant. It was the twin's first real look at the city in a long time and for Gunnar he had never seen anything like it. People bustling by, different shops and buildings all devoted to different purposes.

"Where I come from, most buildings serve multiple purposes. You all have so much wide open land here..." Gunnar whispered, getting away with it as the roar of the city itself was much louder than he could speak. "So many people too. Do you not get agitated you can not walk freely? Wha-" Before he could ask a dozen questions Sinna shushed him, needing to focus to keep the cloak up for multiple people at once. Gunnar made a face at Orin who looked back to him to hear him speak only for Gunnar to be reminded that the poor boy was blind. "Just stuck my tongue out at you Orin." He added before swiftly being shushed again. He glared at the back of Sinna's head as they navigated through the city, all the fun being leeched out of it as they made their way through.

Soon the city's activity began to dwindle down to a trickle of civilians, most journeying to the main part of town that they had swiftly made their way past. They had spotted a few guards along with several members that looked to be of the hunting party from the other night but they were not close enough to listen in to what they had to say. Seeing them from a distance was enough to make them all feel anxious, Gunnar's blood was boiling as he recognized some of the men that had taken shots at him during the battle and no doubt had taken several innocent lives in the attack. Eventually Balor led them straight to an old, dusty bar in a long forgotten part of town. He mumbled some words to the twins to behave before they stepped inside.

The bar was completely empty so it was finally safe to lower the cloak, it was well before the time anyone would venture in and a sign that said closed was on the outside as it is. Gunnar stepped away from the others finally and let out a sigh of relief, he was getting a bit claustrophobic. He eyed behind the bar and seen a collection of alcohol that made his mouth water, so much so that he drooled a little straight into his beard. He wiped his lips and looked to Balor who was ignoring the bar and headed straight for the back room.

"Can we-"

"No." All of them said at once, following Balor into the back while Gunnar held his head low and followed everyone in. It was a simple supply closet, it was rather cramped and with all of them in it once again they were too close for comfort. "What are we doing in this closet? I thought we were meeting your contac-" Suddenly the wall before them vanished, an illusion that boggled Gunnar's mind as he had never seen anything like it. "What in the hell was that... An illusion? What sort of magic is this?" He asked as the three of them stepped inside, Balor being the only one to ever visit this part of the bar while the twins were at least familiar with the lobby. They were greeted to a massive room that didn't even seem to be proportionately possible, when Gunnar turned around he realized that they had stepped through a portal to who know's where and were now in an entirely new place.

The room was decorated much differently than the bar before them, instead of dusty and littered with cobwebs with little to no lighting this place was the complete opposite. Dozens of people were inside with well lit light crystals decorating the walls, the walls themselves were paneled with wood framing along with a luxurious red carpet on top of cobble stone. This was quite literally a sanctuary, one that blew the Prisma church sanctuary out of the water. It wasn't as large and couldn't house as many people but it wasn't meant for long term residence, this place was quite literally a bunker for those who had no where else to go. A wayward stopping station for those who were lost.

"SINNA! ORIN!" A Lamia child called out, running over to the both of them and wrapping them up in a big hug. It was a child from the church, the little girl beyond excited to see them out alive. "I can't believe you made it! My mama and dad got out too... Thanks to that weird looking hairy pink thing over there!" She said, pointing over to Gunnar who gave her a goofy smile back. "Thanks mister! We-"

"-We are surprised to see ye kind here, Alchemist Balor." A feminine voice said, interrupting the child. The entire floor went quiet as a a short stature woman came walking up to the new arrivals. She was a Midas, a race of people not known for magic or for being tall. Standing at around 4'6", the woman was surprisingly able to command the attention of the room without many words. Dressed in regal clothing that matched the room they were in, the red headed woman walked right up to Balor and crossed her arms. "Especially after ya lost yer church. My... what I wouldn't have given to see that ting explode... After all these lovely people were escorted out of course." She smirked at him, taunting him even. "What do I owe the pleasure of hosting a Prismatic pussy and his gang of little devils... and... this tall handsome warrior. Hey there." She said with a wink. Gunnar looked around behind him only to realize she was talking to him then gave her a big goofy grin when he put two and two together.

"Hello!" He said enthusiastically, "I'm Gunnar. Gunnar of Veldard."

"Well I'll just call ye Handsome, okay Handsome? Haven't seen a beard like that on a man in years... Ye-" She noticed how impatient Balor was getting and laughed in his face. "Yer safe now Baby Balor! Come on now, let Mama Moira speak with you all in private. Stay close Handsome, wouldn't want ye be too far away." The short woman was amusing to Gunnar, her personality louder than anyone in the room as everyone went back to their business as Moira led them to a room that stood out from the others. They walked up a set of stairs and entered an office, one with an unkempt desk with so many scrolls and other bits of parchment on it. A mighty high chair stood behind it, one that Moira climbed in order to have a seat in it and smiled at them as they all awaited for her to speak. "Handsome. Over here now." She said, pointing next to her. Gunnar was a bit confused, but slowly walked over to where she instructed. "Atta lad. Love me a man who knows his place." Moira paused, "That means you too, spirit. Stand up straight. Just because ye dead don't mean ye can lack on yer manners!" Slowly, Gunnar's wraith walked over to merge with Gunnar once more, confused on how the woman could see him clear as day. "Now Balor, baby... What are ye doin' here? I thought I told yew to keep yer holier than thou' bullshit at the door when you came to visit me. Which has been YEARS if I remember correctly." She paused, "What in the hell do ye want? I already am busy enough with sorting these Shades. You come in to put yer nose in my business?"

Balor had an unmistakable look of irritation on his face. In fact, her behavior was nearly inexcusable. At least a dozen of his close friends had perished in the fire, him up close and personal to see the massacre. All of them had been. Brothers and sisters of Prisma, brutally massacred while they marched to protect the very same people that had been within the small haven that Moira had ruled in. Fists balled - visibly, due to their place over his chest - he narrowed his eyes toward the Midas woman on her throne. "I imagine you don't need an explanation. You've already stated your excitement to see our lives burn." He said, voice in a low growl. "Selfishness will get you nowhere, Moira ... and selfishness certainly wasn't the one who provided our people sanctuary."

Orin, whose hand had reached out to whoever was closest, balled around the fabric within his fingertips, forgetting who he was closest to. Moira's influence, which had rendered the Seers unable to see anyone and everyone within her influence, blinded him more than he could have known. Now, he was in a void, Gunnar's spirit a long lost thought; the others' signs, which had sparkled at least their relative locations, gone. He was engaged in a battle of the minds, without a chance in the world to win, and without the others knowing his struggle. Sinna felt a tinge of discomfort, though it was nothing close to what her brother had been experiencing.

"I don't come here asking for me. I knew that was fruitless a while ago. I don't ask for a place to stay, nor sanctuary. Rest your brow. But..." Balor started, and a twinge of pain had crossed his face. It was hard not to take pity on them all; they were all hurt, if not physically, then mentally. The loss of the church had taken a toll on all of them. "I am prepared to forfeit what little belongings I have left to even simply be pointed in a direction of one who can help. If not me, then them. Your people." He said, grimacing at the niceties, but knowing well how far her influence lied. He gestured toward Orin and Sinna, who above all else, looked shellshocked.

He felt something itching at his mind.

"This isn't business." He said, though he couldn't shake off enough dignity to keep his holier-than-thou composure in check, even while he was bleeding on her doorstep.

"Please, Moira." Sinna had said, seeing that Balor was failing. She stepped forward. They had had their own bad experiences here, what with their bloodlines being completely opposed. Not truly belonging to either, Sinna and especially Orin had been looked upon with unsureness. Friend or foe, not many were truly sure. They had been loyal to the church and its people, and loved amongst the other Shades there, but the outside world was a harsh place. "Whatever you need us to do, but... the church... was our home, we-"

"Be easy on Bal. He's just an old man that got stabbed in the chest. And had everything he's done destroyed in front of him." Orin said, once he had regained his senses. Of course, he was releasing a little anger at being stifled, but amongst everything he had been angry about, he was relatively calm. "Like Sin said. We're willing to work to have a place, or be pointed in one, but... we smell like blood and seawater, and I can't foresee us walking down the street without being apprehended, let alone getting out of the city and finding a home."

Moira stared at them long and hard. The room was filled with so much tension it could be cut with a knife as the Midas women glared at Balor in particular, even Gunnar was trying to ease the tension by speaking but the little woman raised her hand up and placed a finger on his lips from her high throne. As she was looking down at the others her scowl seemed to set Balor even more on the edge, so much so that she could see him wincing from the pain of his still healing stab wound. Then, she laughed. She laughed at all of them so hard that no one could tell if she was doing it to ease the tension or mock them, potentially even both.

"This is what I was talking about Balor! Yew got a stick so far up yer ass you can't see when someone is playing yew!" She began to giggle harder, her laugh almost obnoxious with how loud it was. "Yew should no better than anyone Mama Moira is anything but selfish. I spend all me days working to make sure people like your cute little twins here are safe. I spend all me days fighting against a world that is stuck in the past, segregatin' people who are born under 'forbidden' signs and gods. Bullshit that is! Pure bullshit Baby Balor... Yet yer so lost in yer own self righteousness that ya don't see that we're on the same side. I may not be the easiest to work with as I'm the boss and what I say goes round here, but you have to swallow some of that pride... Damn Lamias..." She shook her head, disappointed in his response, "Yer people never learn do they?"

"Balor seems ok-"

"Shh, handsome. I don't keep you there to speak. Stand there quietly." She smirked, looking out to them once more after Gunnar tried to speak. "Now I may resent yew Prismas for being a bunch of pussies but that don't mean I want any of ya ta die. Quite the opposite. I already sent some of your surviving brothers and sisters to a church in the east. They are being well taken care of... They'll be able to start a new, far away from here. As for your shades... I am putting some to work while the younglings will stay here until I find an appropriate spot. I would have sorted you lot but it looks like... No... Is that anger I see on your face Baby Balor? You want to-" She gasped, then closed her eyes for a moment. Balor felt a prescience enter his mind, not necessarily reading his thoughts but rather reading what he truly felt at the moment. "-I sense that you have a deep hatred in you right now... and not just for me. No... Is that vengeance I feel? That can't be right. You preach peace and happiness, you don't really want to do that now do you?"

"We do." Gunnar butted in to all of their surprise. "There are too many wrongs in this world. Too many horrible acts by bad men under the thumb of evil women... God damn Starseers." Moira grinned at hearing Gunnar say this and let him continue. "None of this would have happened if they weren't around. We need to do something about them."

"Oh my... So you aren't just there to be looked at then huh? You impress me Unclaimed, I've never spoke those words before about your kind. Most impressive..." She darted her eyes to the others, specifically Balor. She felt a bit of mercy, especially after seeing poor Orin look around trying to get his bearings but to no avail. "Listen. Balor. If you can swallow your pride and say 'Thank you Moira'... Then I will help yous in any way I can. I know you have refused to say it in the past but..." She sat up straight and grinned at him, "I'll feed ya. I'll clothe ya... Hell, I may even sing ta ya if you play yer cards right. I'll take care of yer kids and handsome here, get you clothed and bathed. Belly full of real food and drink. Then, we discuss what you can do for me." There was always a catch, but it was a most generous offer. More so than she had ever done for Balor before. "And, I will tell you where your followers went. Every one of them. I know ye care Balor, a little too much sometimes. You will be able to rest easy to know which ones made it out... and which ones didn't." She finished grimly. "What's it gonna be?"

Balor grimaced at the question, looking between Sinna and Orin. And Gunnar. Despite everything, it wasn't simply so easy for him to do as she had asked. The very thought of him needing to ask had itched at him, and he'd thought of playing easily into her game and using himself as an example. But he stifled it. His pride had been more than taken from him at that point, as he stood before the short-statured woman, fist balled to his chest. Then, after a largely uncomfortable silence, he spoke out.

"Thank ... you ... Moira." He said, tone laced with nothing else other than disdain. As far as sacrifices he had made for the Shade, it was the easiest, but for a reason beyond Orin and Sinna, it almost seemed to be the most painful. The stereotypes held true as pointed teeth unchanged by the mutational influence of Prisma showed through. Then, like ripping off a bandaid, it had stopped.

"It may be the Seers that spin their tales, Gunnar, but you also must see the men taking up arms to slay innocents. And, as far as my ... need for vengeance goes ..." He paused, still gathering his bearings, reeling from the massive loss. "I ... do not act on it. We may be 'self-righteous', as you would say, Moira, but... we are all fallible. Some of us more than others, in Sister Fera's case." He said, a bad taste coming to his mouth at the mention of the name, but that was irregardless of the point.

"You can stop defending her now." Orin said, tone riddled with unrelenting spite. "She sold us out. How many people died? And that's not even the best part." He said, irritated. "How many Prismas died in her efforts to, I don't know, save the Prismas?" He asked, hurt. Hurt by the severe lack of both Shade and Prismatic presence there, in that hodunk little bar, that day. "She's an irredeemable bitch."

"And how many times did she hide you as well, Orin? When you had left for one reason or another? How many close calls?" Balor bit back, just as angry. "Her actions were inexcusable. Stupid, no doubt. But, perhaps you haven't considered the possibility that she had been cornered. No person is irredeemable."

"Bal." Sinna said. "Not really the time, and definitely not the place." She looked to Moira, then quirked an eyebrow at Gunnar. "Whatever you need, Moira... we can help with. Thank you. But it might have to wait until these two-" she gestured toward Bal and Gunnar. "-are feeling better."

"Of course, Sinna." Moira said, amused by Balor's view of the world. She disagreed with nearly everything he had said but decided against challenging him now. They all looked beyond rough and they could really use a little relaxation before being turned to the wolves again. "I'd rather not have a debate on morality and he did this, she did that sort of discussion right now. What I do want is for you to relax for once Balor, that way when we speak again you're more of a challenge." A sly smirk crept across her face. "If I remember right you use to be the one standing right here... Being called handsome." She said with a wink, causing Balor to feel an indescribable amount of guilt and shame. Moira turned to Gunnar, "Now... Handsome. Don't you feel jealous now. Mama Moira does this to all her new comers that think they're bigger than me. I'm sure you are in a few ways... and your mind is filled with sooo much strength. But, it's only so my handsome ones know their place." She then flicked him across the nose, making him stumble back.

It was all a mind game with her, her psychic abilities not being the only thing she enjoyed using to bend and twist people's wills. When people were bigger than her, which was most of the time, she toyed with them to break their will and to come out on top. Which was exactly what she was doing to Gunnar and what she had once done many years ago to Balor. It was all a game of dominance and she had unfortunately won this one given their circumstances.

"Rest up. All of yew. Yous smell like piss, blood and... mana. Don't tell me you kids have been experimenting with mana based drugs!" She huffed, "That's a good way to get mutated now. First I'll show you to your rooms... We have two available. Handsome and Balor will sleep in one and the twins can have the other. Follow me." She jumped off her massive chair only to float softly to the ground, the sassy dwarf leading the way back into the main room. Everyone was watching as they seen Moira walk out, only for them to smile at her as she gave them a grin and a nod while she showed the others to their rooms. "Now Orin... I know about your sight, given the fact that you can't see even with that freaky black eye of yours I bet this place is a real nightmare for you. I'm afraid I can't exactly stop the cloak as that means we would be open for an attack being we have so many Shades here. I hope you understand. Here we are." She opened the doors to the two adjacent rooms one by one and showed that one had two beds while one lacked the second one. "Hope you twins don't mind sharing. We're kind of short handed on account of the newcomers. Unless you and Handsome want to share, Balor."

"I'm good on that." Gunnar added, "I have a wife. As funny as she'd think it would be for me to have to sleep with a man like that I really don't want to. I don't think Balor does either. I'd take the floor over any of that." This caused Moira to laugh uncontrollably at the thought.

"Baby Balor there wouldn't dare share a bed like that. He'd rather stay awake the whole time and sulk. Now then... I'll have some clothes for you lot in a moment. Got some of them newcomers running laundry for me. There are bathrooms in each room and showers down in the basement. I want you to wash up, relax... Check in with your people that got away Balor. Then, I want you, handsome and the twins to join me for dinner. We'll discuss your futures and how I can help each of you." She smiled at them, "I'll be seeing you all for dinner. Not the vagrants I see right now, but respectable men and the lady. Ta ta." She said sarcastically, stomping away as quickly as she arrived to attend to other business. Gunnar looked to Balor and the others when she was out of ear shot and said:

"What in the fuck was all that?" He was dumbfounded. "I have never met a lady quite like that..."

"That ... was Moira. You're not going to meet another like that again. Thankfully." Balor grumbled, in response. His face had tinged slightly with embarrassment and anger, being talked down to so thoroughly like he had. He didn't meet Sinna or Gunnar's eye, too scorned and prideful to do so. Still, they had beds, and that was a lot to their name than they had a moment ago. Moira wasn't going to be thanked again anytime soon, however, other than perhaps by the others. The Alchemist crossed his arms, body language screaming that he would have rather been any place than here.

"Thanks for doing that, Bal." Sinna said, knowing that it must have been hard for him. She looked to Gunnar. "Protip: If you don't want to be thought of as a meathead, you probably shouldn't bow to just any woman who calls you handsome." she said, sass still remaining even after the ordeal they had gone through. Even though their situation was grim, it helped to have a bed. And blankets. In fact, their room there had possibly even been better than the one at the church ... though it was certainly less homely.

"Don't mention it." Balor said.

"We won't." Sinna said, passing him a wink. They had all been pushing away the desperate want for a good shower, water, and food in order to talk, but it became evident on every one of their faces that while they had all enjoyed each other's company - or at least, appreciated it - to some degree, there wasn't much that was going to stop all of them from breaking away in order to take care of their needs. And that's just what they had all done, especially as their clothes had soon arrived.

Gunnar, Balor, Sinna, and Orin were as well taken care-of as hunted folk could be. With running water and a warm, welcoming area in which to sit down to eat, they had all looked a fair degree more respectable than earlier. Sinna and Orin had taken on a warm visage, significantly less ornery than earlier, as both of them had been given a respect that Balor and Gunnar had perhaps wouldn't have. It seemed like the only place in the world in which that could happen, however, as the city above remained inhospitable to both the twins and the Necras-aligned human.

They were dressed in common garb; it wasn't necessary that they all match their surroundings, but it certainly was a change of pace for the Prismatic-aligned Shades and their mentor from the white and pastel-frocked robes they had grown used to. Gunnar wasn't given the metal and scavenged pieces of his old garb back; even if he had wanted it, it had been littered with so many holes and burns that it was amazing it didn't melt into his skin. Then again, perhaps it had, but there wasn't too much of a chance that he would have noticed it in his rage-fueled haze.

Now he was hurting for it. Even after healing, they all had a varying degree of soreness that had taken up in their walks. Balor walked with a hunch, favoring the arm that hadn't been cut, Gunnar walked with grunts of pain, and Sinna had directed Orin around, to his displeasure. He held onto her shoulder as she guided them up to the dining area.

He felt a tugging at his pantleg.

"Orin?" a small voice came; the same little Lamian girl from earlier. When Orin tilted his head down toward the sound of her voice, she gasped, smiling and latching onto his leg. Orin couldn't help but smile, recognizing her voice as if another would her face.

"Hi Beelee." he said, reaching down to scruff her hair.

"Can you sit with me at the table?" she asked, her presence brightening the room.

"Sure thing, kiddo. You still causing hell to mom and pop?" he asked, allowing Sinna to take a break and letting the little girl guide him to his seat.

"Mom and dad says I'm not allowed to say that word or any bad words, even though the church is gone. Right here!" she said, holding his hand and guiding him into the chair.

Balor wordlessly took up his seat next to Sinna, across from Orin, who had apparently joined someone elses' family for then. He sat at the table, arms crossed over his chest, but looking considerably better than earlier.

"Damn..." Gunnar mumbled, looking to see that the grand dining table had been filled up. There was no spots next to Orin, Balor or even Sinna. While the sanctuary had been rather busy it looked as if he would be sitting alone or with complete strangers. He had been mulling over Sinna's words about not being a meathead and didn't agree with her, he was just trying to be friendly and to make sure they got help. Now he seen how much good that did him as his new friends had all but abandoned him at the first sign. The only places left at the table were near Moira's seat or at the far end where the children mostly sat, effectively blocking off a kid's table section. Not wanting to have to deal with the Midas woman who had grown a liking to him, he took a seat at the far end in which he'd be sitting with the kids.

"Smart choice." The Wraith commented. "Not only do you avoid Moira, you get to sit where you belong." It surprisingly teased, even in a monotone voice Gunnar was beginning to realize when the spirit was joking.

"Shut it." Gunnar said, smirking as he took a seat next to about a dozen frightened kids. They were all mostly Ifrit or Lamia, the most popular races in this area but he spotted a few children of other races all sitting together happily. "Hi." Gunnar said with a grin, immediately commanding the attention of the small group of kids before him. "I'm Gunnar of Veldard. May I sit here?"

"You're the guy who saved my mommy and daddy!" One of the little girl exclaimed, "Youse can sit wherever you want Gunni of Veldylardardland."

"Thank you little miss." He said as he fully took a seat in the chair, looking down at the table towards all of them and the others down the way other the other side of the table. "I'm glad to see that you all are safe here. I recognize a few of your faces. Are you doing alright?" A cadence of multiple children speaking at once all saying a resounding yes brought a smile to Gunnar's face, happy to see that he was able to make a difference. "Anything you seen back there that was scary... Just know I did what I had to do to save you and your families. I-"

Gunnar was cut off by Moira's office door opening and her walking down to the dining area. Several plates of food began to float from the kitchen on their own, all of them being placed neatly in front of everyone. It was so strange that an operation like this had a bare minimum amount of people working it other than the residents, it turned out that Moira was ever busy as she was the one who cooked and kept the place up to snuff. That was, her powers doing all the work as she walked about the sanctuary. No matter who hated Moira for the way she behaved, she certainly cared a lot for the Shades as each plate of food had been custom ordered by those that had been there. Anything they could think of was there, thanks to her contacts and range of influence.

"Hello all!" She said beaming at them, "Not surprised we have a full house! Eat up, enjoy. Some of you will be sorted by morning so get your bellies full, have a nice dinner and enjoy the rest of your day with us. I-" She noticed Gunnar at the end of the table talking to the children and couldn't help but laugh at the sight. She then looked at Balor, with Sinna sitting next to him. "Hey there Handsome." She said with a smirk, teasing him already. "Sinna, you clean up nice girl. You actually look like a woman now!" She also added before taking a seat. Her chair was much taller being a Midas, the woman floating up to sit into it. "Let's eat!" She said happily, causing everyone to dig in at once. The Shades thankfully all feasted, not being able to eat like this too often. Gunnar was loudly eating with the kids on the other end of the table, causing them to all mimic him as they all got food caked onto their faces almost immediately. "Oh Balor... If you weren't such a tease you could be sitting next to me all the time!" Moira said with a wink. "You look much better though. Do you need any medicine or anything for the chest wound? To be honest, I didn't imagine you to be one to get your hands dirty."

"I still have medicines from my lab ... But not many. Regardless, keep it for the other injured. I've surpassed the fatality of this one." Balor said, glancing wearily to his food. His hand tightened around his utensils, as this had been the true first dinner he had had since the church burned down, apart from Sinna's makeshift one. While a part of him had been glad that nearly all of the Shades had made it out, another part of him was sore that his own people had been slaughtered in the process. Then, his eyes fell on Orin.

Beelee had grabbed onto his hand, pushing it toward his utensils as if he couldn't find them himself. Orin drew his hand away time and time again, teasing the young girl and acting distraught until he had nearly worked the young one into tears. Her efforts to help him had failed, and while she was getting more and more upset, he was having a hard time containing his laughter. Then, before she could begin crying, he grabbed his utensils and began eating. She looked to be a mix of incredulous, angry, and surprised all at once. Then, she had flicked a pea at him, hitting him directly in the forehead.

Balor's face softened.

"You look a lot ... wiser, Moira." He said, playing her game in his own way. His eyes shifted back over to her as he picked at his food. "I forget how quickly you all age, sometimes. That isn't an affront to you, of course." He said, giving her yet another back-handed compliment. He settled into his chair, forgetting for a moment that he had been hurt while observing the lives of the Shade women, men, and children that had been saved in the fire. "I do wish I could have foreseen that this was going to happen."

"Well, even though ... even though some died, Bal, it's not like we wouldn't have died without you, anyways." Sinna said. "And thank you, Moira. Everything looks delicious." She said, putting away the oddness of the situation for the plate of food in front of her. "What did you want us to help with, anyways? Cleaning, cooking...?"

The Alchemist's eyes shifted upwards to the Midas woman on her throne. It probably wouldn't be that easy, would it? Weary eyes shifting between both his plate and Moira, Balor awaited her answer.

Meanwhile, Beelee had joined the group of children that were fawning over Gunnar. She sat with tiny hands propping her head up against the table, choosing to decline her food for the time being in order to look to the Viking. "Orin... do you know the pink thing that saved mom and dad?" She asked, causing a slight smirk to come to his face.

"They're called humans. You know what humans are, kiddo." He replied.

"WHAT?! THAT'S A HUMAN? THAT'S WHAT HUMANS LOOK LIKE?" Beelee suddenly exclaimed, far louder than the others, forcing Gunnar's attention back on them.

"Yup. Do you know they start out life as gross little pink hairless, defenseless piglets and then turn into that?" Orin asked, the kids suddenly belting out in awe as they threw a million and a half new questions at Gunnar. Despite his blindness, Orin winked to Gunnar as the children swarmed him. "For calling me a demon."

While Gunnar was assaulted with countless questions about humans, mostly ignorantly racist in nature from the naive children, he glared on at Orin who seemed to be taunting him. Then he seen the blind boy wink at him and couldn't help but laugh, this is how Orin was going to play. He was going to fire back.

"Orin wouldn't know a defenseless little piglet if he seen one. Wait..." Gunnar said, firing back at Orin lightheartedly that made all the little kids let out a simultaneous 'Oooooooh' at his burn. He even swore he heard the Wraith let out a small chuckle, one that was uncharacteristic of the specter at least from what Gunnar had heard from him. He had only heard him a few days before being thrown off the side of the Isles of Arcadia, this being the first time he heard him let out anything resembling a laugh. "Yes, I am a human, children. We may be white or... pink... as you're calling me. We look much like your people, just different is all. I am sure even Orin was a tiny little piglet at one point in time. Perhaps with nubby little horns and red skin." The little kids laughed at both Gunnar and Orin, usually older people ignored them but it was nice to have some questions answered and some laughs had.

Especially after losing everything over night.

Gunnar kept noticing that a couple was standing next to one of the children instead of sitting down. They were just looking down at him as the child kept questioning Gunnar about humans until finally, he had to ask what was going on.

"Excuse me... Sir, ma'am? You need a seat?" He said, the two parents looking to him wide-eyed from being questioned directly. "I can give you my seat if you want to sit next to your kid. I'm already done eating." Sure enough, Gunnar had dug in so heavily and so fast that he had been done with his plate and the child's next to his for several minutes now.

"Mr. Gunni... Who are you talking to?" The little boy sitting with his parents behind him asked. He looked around and seemingly saw nothing, then, it finally dawned on Gunnar.

"Nothing son we-" Both spirits converged on him immediately, both of them looking almost lifelike as they shouted at him unison. Their voices seemed distant, almost muted. He leaned in closer until finally he heard them. "I... I understand." Gunnar said, looking at the fading spirits. They both looked hopeful to him as he turned to their son. "Your parents... say they love you very much Erik. That you shouldn't be afraid anymore and that they will protect you in this life and the next." The little boy starred at Gunnar for a moment only for him to burst into tears. "Listen, Erik... I am..." He remembered what Sinna had said about hiding his sign, luckily for Gunnar he was in similar company. "I was born under the sign of Necras. I see dead people... Apparently." He added, as dumbfounded as the boy was who seemed to stop sobbing for a moment. "Your parents have been watching you. They're happy you're safe and your mother says-" He looked to her, waiting to decipher what the spirit would say. "-she is proud of how brave you're being. Your father seems... quieter. He is just beaming at you still. Does that sou-" Gunnar was once again interrupted by Erik rushing out of his seat and hugging Gunnar.

"I lost them but... they're not gone are they?" Erik said, beginning to sob again. "I thought you were gone, ma... pa!" The little Lamia beamed. "Can you tell them I love them so much and that... they don't have to worry about me? That I will be okay. I may be young but I am with good people. That they don't have to watch me all the time... that... they can rest." For a boy of only perhaps eight, Erik was much wiser than children his age. Most likely due to the fact he had to grow up in hiding and then to lose his parents too. "I love you." He said to the air, in which Gunnar watched as both spirits faded whilst the mother held back tears.

"They are at peace now. I have a feeling they will visit you often but... They are okay now." He said with a smile. Suddenly the children erupted into applause causing an annoyance to the other side of the table. One that Orin was dumbfounded to be caught in between while Sinna and Balor was forced to listen to what Moira had to say.

"Calling me old, Balor?" She asked, "That's a backhanded set of compliments if I ever heard any. After I fed and clothed you! Your make shift family here... You should be kissing my ass, Lamia. Even Prisma couldn't take the prick out of you." To his surprise, she smiled right back at him. "That's why I like ya. Yer always a challenge to break but when you do... Gosh it feels almost orgasmic. Listen hun, I might be getting older but I age like a fine wine. Tastier and better looking with age. You I can't say the same." She replied bluntly, "I miss the goatee. Made you look dashing... Made it easier to swallow the fact you're a self righteous I'm uncultured."

While they both bickered for a moment she returned to what Sinna asked.

"You all are going to kill the Captain from Central that is stationed in town. I already have his location." Moira said with a devilish smile. "Interrogated out of someone... A traitor. Turns out, she ratted you lot out at his room in the guard tower. Who would have thunk it." She said, taking a bite out of venison while swiftly pouring mead down her throat. She seen Gunnar being helpful down the table and waved, "Yoo hoo! Handsome. Get over here. You need to be in the adult conversation for just a moment. You can go back to being King Kid in a moment sweetie." Gunnar complied, patting Erik on the head as he walked up. "In exchange for my hospitality, you all will be assassinating the Captain of the Guard he-"

"Done. Tell me when you want us to kill that bastard." He replied with a grunt, returning to his spot at the kid's table while grabbing his mead before one of the children tried to steal a swig from the unattended drink.

"If you don't keep him, I will. That's a man right there." She said, pointing at him. "Doesn't bullshit about the legalities of it, the whole morality of killing. He just does it because he knows it's right. Damn..." Moira shook her head, dumbstruck. "Listen... It'll require all of you lot. Yer cut out for this, ain't ya Balor? That mean streak I sense is still there and... Mmmmm..." She moaned for a moment, taunting him. "How I love seeing yew be bad. It's in yer nature, Lamia. I bet the kids could learn a thing or two from ya too." Moira then leaned back in her chair, "I don't care how you all do it. I just want it done and I'm sure yew do too deep down. He killed yer people, left some of these kids parentless... He will do it again. And again. And again."

Balor's eyes widened a bit at the suggestion of killing the Captain. Not only did he have one of the closest experiences to death imaginable at his hand, it had gone against his own principles of killing. Against Prisma's. Sinna looked to Moira with seriousness, while Orin quietly finished his plate, still partially listening to the chatter about Gunnar's abilities. Perhaps if the conversation were lighter, he'd even be amazed, but he held his questions for later. Gunnar was gung-ho about it, as everyone had expected him to be, but the others still were wracked with hesitance, even after seeing their own people slaughtered. Not only that, but it was simply the Captain's underlings who had nearly killed both Sinna and Orin. Still, Orin was the first to speak out of all of them, with a nod.

"Okay. We can do that." he said, joining Gunnar. Sinna quietly nodded, but Balor remained rigid. "I don't know how I can help, but ... whatever you need. Bal might not want it, but I'd be more than happy to see those motherfuckers burn." he said, his foul language surpassing the children, who had long since been absorbed in ignoring the adult's conversations and partaking in their own. Small voices chattering over each other - coralled by the parents near the other end - made the room seem lively.

"It isn't that I don't want to see their downfall, Orin. Sinna. You know that." he said, uncertain. "I took vows, however. Vows to Prisma. You may not have taken those vows, and thus I won't fault you for it, but..."

"You have to fight back at some point, Bal. How many people do they have to kill for you to care?" Orin snapped back, sharp.

"I care, and if I didn't care then I wouldn't have championed opening our church up to vault the Shades, and you. How long did you spend in that cave, Orin?" he hissed, angry in the way that a man scolding his son was. "I was nearly killed, and many of our people were, as well. I hid you, fed you, and clothed you, originally because I had felt the influence of our Goddess asking me to do so. Now, because I have love for you. But you are here, because of Her. Sombras or not, I won't simply forsake Her because we have fallen upon hard times."

"Then what? You'll leave us to do the work?" Orin fought back, the same anger flaring up in him that he had shown time and time again when Balor stood by his ideals.

"I'm not going to leave you to do the work. I will help, in whatever way possible - as I said. But..." He sighed, looking toward Moira. In reality, her mention of his 'nature' had only spurred him to be more resilient against killing. "Is there not a way to end this without bloodshed? Can you not make him forget; clear his mind and push him toward a better purpose than murder?" He asked. "Say ... I do agree to help capture him-"

"It's going to be a lot harder than killing him, Bal." Sinna said.

"-I'm not going to kill someone because the alternative is easier." He said. "But say we capture him. Is it not within your power to use the influence of Sombras to void his mind?"

"It is in the realm of me powers, but I won't do it." Moira said, shrugging. "Did I say capture him, Balor? No. I did not." She said firmly, quickly squishing all of his hopes to go out of his way to capture the man. "Do you listen to yourself, Balor? I'm curious. Because you are indirectly saying it was okay for that man to kill your people. Your children. If he had a chance he would have killed you. What would it take for you to do the right thing and end a man who has ended so many of yours? Your 'pledge' to your goddess is close minded and selfish. It is the root of my problem with not only your people, but her as well. You disgrace everyone that perished fleeing your church by even thinking that man could be sparred." Moira sounded actually hurt, disappointed in the fact that Balor thought that way. She was almost sure he would have agreed to her terms. "He burnt your forest down. Your church. Your people... And you talk of sparring him? I should have turned you away at the door. If you damn your own people I have no idea what you would do to people you hold less dearly."

She was so furious her face had begun to match the color of her fiery red hair, the Midas woman had dealt with stubborn people but Balor was one of the few that came out on top of them all. While she was very annoyed with what he had to say and tried her best to stay calm, she continued.

"You either agree to kill him or you can leave: now. After I tell your children here that you let their parents die and not helping us catch their killer. Did you know poor Erik over there by Gunnar lost both his mom and pop? All because of those hunters. That Captain. You would deny him the comfort of knowing that that very same man won't be coming for him anymore? That he is finally safe and his parents can pass on over without worry? All because of some Goddess making you look for foolish alternatives? What would happen if he caught you trying to capture him? You would all be tortured, killed, or worse." She made some excellent points, ones that made such an oath to a goddess hard to argue for. "By allowing that man to live... You are endangering hundreds of others. Even if I were to wipe his mind men who are that corrupted... who are willing to kill children.... They are evil to the core. You would allow evil to walk this once great planet?" She frowned at him, "And here I thought better of you."

Moira had lost her appetite, her plate being pushed in toward the table telekinetically. She was at a loss for words and Balor didn't respond, trying to quietly eat while he thought of a compromise. Moira was close to kicking him out at even the idea of betraying those children like that, her mind buzzing with ideas on what to do to Balor to set his mind straight. Perhaps she could shock some sense into him, maybe conjure up a false memory of Prisma speaking to him to lift his ideology. Then she realized how she was thinking and immediately stopped. Forcing someone to change who was inherently good wasn't why she was blessed with the abilities she had. She pushed her morality aside for a moment to level with him now that they had taken a moment to calm down.

"Do you accept the fact that yer putting those closest to you in MORE danger by capturing him? Do you agree that what you're thinking of doing to avoid killing is by far the stupidest thing you have ever done? No... don't answer that one, I already know it to be true." Moira frowned, "Balor... There is not even a guarantee I can change his ways if you were to capture him. This doesn't play to our strengths at all either. By trying to capture him you effectively limit what Gunnar can and can't do too. I make jokes about Handsome over there but I heard reports of what he is able to do. With your help we can take out the leader that is oppressing this area and then I can move onto the next to help others more in need." Now that she had calmed down some she accepted the fact that she wasn't going to kick any of them out either, she cared too much. So, she compromised. "I can accept if you try and capture him. I will do my best to change his mind but... If there is too much danger or one of you get hurt, you kill him. I will be much happier with him off the face of this planet but if you insist otherwise I will allow it. Just know you are being unnecessarily reckless, the life of the many outweigh the life of the fe-... the wicked."

"If it bothers you so much, then think strategically, Moira. Do you truly believe a Captain of Central wouldn't know which churches and Shade groups are on the short list for targeting? Because you would be wrong. It may be more dangerous, sure, but it was dangerous for us to host the Shades in the first place. Call me and my people 'pussies' all you'd like, but don't do it in the same breath as you'd say we'd take dangerous maneuvers to get what we want." He said, biting back with just as much ferocity as Moira had. He was adamant within his beliefs, feeling particularly isolated with them, but adamant nonetheless.

"You and I have a different definition of the right thing. And while I understand wanting vengeance - as personally as you have seen by invading my mind - the moment we turn to slaughtering our enemies for it, we begin our descent down a slippery slope. One in which we become much like them. Being like that Captain is one of my worser fears, and if that means I must spare his life to avoid it ... Then so be it." He said, with a grunt. Then, he stood from the table, not too appetized himself any longer.

The Alchemist looked to Orin. "You're staying here; Moira has a point. This is going to be too dangerous for you." He said, preparing himself for Orin's tirade.

"Bullshit!" He said, standing. "You-"

"You're not invited, Orin. Sit down. Sinna, get my bag and meet up at the entrance to this place. I assume, Moira, that you're going to supply us with weapons and tools?" He asked.

Sinna looked to Orin, who had once again, felt hopeless and defeated. The blind Seer slumped into his chair, fuming with anger, but entirely unsure of how he would help, regardless. Still, this could have very well been the last time he would see his sister and mentor, if they had intended on leaving without him.

"I wouldn't ask your sister to come if we didn't need her, Orin." Balor said, catching the look on his face. Sinna quietly left the table to find his room again. "That isn't to say that you aren't useful, but your talents ... they need to be utilized elsewhere. Understand?" He asked. "Moira, are there any other details we need to know before we undertake this? Another hand would be useful, as well. I presume you must stay here to shade the Shade, so to speak."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back