• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Descension (C.DEX x Notorious)

Both Gunnar and Amara nearly dove out at the suggestion of a challenge. Both of them were starring daggers at eachother, waiting for the other's first move. When Orin told them not to get themselves killed it further fueled both of them to take this as a challenge, that was until they both seen just how high both of them were. Gunnar feigned confidence while Amara just starred into the void with wide eyes.

"I've fallen from higher before." He taunted, looking over the edge and shrugging. "Wouldn't be much of a challenge."

"So have I!" Amara stammered, "Such a height is nothing. I have fallen off mountains much taller than this and came out unscathed. This is not challenge worthy. Not at all..." She trailed off, looking down. "I will go first. Not as a challenge, but because I don't trust anyone under me." Amara let out a deep breath as all watched in anticipation, walking to the side of the ladder and slowly lowering herself down to the first rung of the ladder. It was a rope one, swaying ever so slightly with her movement. "See... nothing to it!" She said, letting out a nervous chuckle as she began to make her way down slowly. "I.... would say... don't wear robes down... This... Is fucking crazy..." She added, not being able to see the bottom due to the darkness of the trees. She began to make her climb down, swaying back and forth as she continued to make her descent. "I DON'T SEE THE BOTTOM!" She shouted up.

"It's there!" Gunnar replied back, he then let out a deep sigh as well. Even for him this was a bit sketchy, "Hopefully." He said quietly before mounting the ladder as well. As soon as he got on the ladder began to shake violently, Amara shouting from below at him to take it easy. "QUIT BEING DRAMATIC AND CLIMB!" He shouted back, the two bickering back and forth while everyone else on the ship was getting more and more anxious about the climb down. Sirius was all giggles as he listened to Amara and Gunnar argue back and forth.

"I am SO glad I don't have to climb down that. And I love heights!" Sirius giggled, "Hey Slaw... This has to be how many years old now? Just left over from the scrap heap..." He poked his head out, "THE LADDER IS BREAKING!" He shouted to both Gunnar and Amara who both began to rapidly climb down until they reached the bottom. The two of them were on the surface floor, both panting side by side as they looked up to the airship which had vanished in the darkness.

"Sorry about that... Whole shaking the ladder thing." Gunnar whispered to Amara, "That shit was pretty freaky, even for me."

"Ha! I knew I could beat you at something." She said, laughing at him. Before he knew it though she shrugged, "I nearly pissed myself too. We're even on that one Viking I still need to best you. Don't get all friendly with me now, don't apologize again unless I've beat it out of you."

"Whatever you say Amara..." Gunnar replied, shaking his head. "IF THE LADDER ISN'T BROKEN CLIMB DOWN! IT'S SAFE!" When Sirius heard that he giggled and waved his hand toward the ladder, waiting to hear from the next victim.

"So... guesstimate." Orin said. "About how high?" He asked. Then, he opened his hands a few inches apart from each other, moving them slowly away. "Tell me when to stop." He said. Sinna and Balor stared at him until his palms had gotten as far as they would go apart, and then shared a glance with each other. "Oh come on. Can't be more than full body length. That far?"

Sinna reached out, smacking Orin across the side of the head, playfully. He grabbed her, pretending to pull them toward the hatch and scaring the daylights out of her. She shrieked, and then yelled frustratedly at him. "Stop it, you dork. It's good that you can't see how far it is-"

"Did you just say it's GOOD that I'm BLIND?!" Orin asked, feigning deep offense. "No, really. The ladder is secure and everything? I actually lightly have a fear of falling distances that I can't see, so..." He said, revealing that he had been stalling; his hesitation due to fear. Balor placed a hand on his shoulder, passing reassurement to him.

"It's very far. We're all scared." He said, splattering Orin's hope for reassurement. His face sank, and Balor stifled a laugh. "It's ... a drop. But I'll be coming in right before you. Slip, fall, I'll catch you. Or we'll both fall. But let's try and not make that a possibility in the first place, yes?" He said, nodding. Orin nodded back, fists clenching with determination.

"What if you fall?" He asked. "You'll take me down with you." Orin said, not so sure about their plan. "You're a lot heavier than I am, so just ... you know, if you fall, fall outwards." he said, reaching up and patting Balor on the shoulder just as well. Before they could say anything, however, Sinna stepped forward toward the hatch, grabbing onto the ladder and beginning to make her descent. Balor guided the blind Seer to the hatch, making sure that he didn't lose his footing and not grab the ladder at all. Meanwhile, Slaw followed silently, the length of the drop grating on his nerves an unfortunate amount.

Then, they had descended. Slowly but surely, with Sinna descending first and Orin and Balor letting her reach the bottom before they began their duo-descent. Sinna landed victoriously, shaking off her fear like a blanket, and brushing her hands through her hair as she'd done so. She reached out to Amara and Gunnar, hands asking for a high-five as she marked the third to successfully land.

Balor had slightly regretted his promise to Orin; as soon as the Seer had taken hold of the ladder, it had begun to sway. He breathed in deep, knowing that his own weight would act as a stay to Orin's, stabilizing the ladder, if only slightly. Together, they had made it down the full way. When they had reached the ground, Balor doubled over, hands on his knees, both out of breath and relieved that they had made it. Orin patted Balor on the back, laughing as he'd done so.

Slaw had gripped the ladder from the top, waiting for them all to reach the bottom lest he sway it. He looked briefly to Edea, who had waited until last to descend.

"For the record, you seem okay to me." he said, before disappearing from sight. He gripped the sides of the ladder, sliding down with his feet's talons gripping the outside rungs, wings catching air and making it so his descent wasn't fatally quick. When he had reached the bottom, he braced himself on one ankle, favoring his good one. Balor helped him over.

"You know, I feel stronger since we left the graveyard." Orin said, noting it to Gunnar. "I'm not sure I would have made it down if I wasn't. Or I'd just be out of shape, like Bal. Balor, you okay, bud? Sound a liiittle out of breath."

As soon as Sinna made her descent and offered both her hands to Gunnar and Amara they both gave the girl an enthusiastic high five. For just a split second all three of them had a moment, all of them smiling and laughing together until Amara noticed who she was smiling and laughing with then quickly reverted back to her normal scowl. Gunnar laughed heartily, "You did good Sinna. I'm glad I went before you, you would have heard Amara crying all the way down." As Amara yet again exploded at Gunnar the others made their descent with Edea standing at the very top. She looked to Sirius before jumping off the side, causing the Rogue to jump towards her but then something mind boggling happened. Edea spread her arms and legs whilst in the air and a thin layer of light reptilian skin spread out and caught the air before her causing her to glide down completely ignoring the ladder. Aafter the Patagi woman landed gracefully she rolled back down her sleeves and bunched her robes back down before knocking the dust off her clothing.

"Who need's ladders?" She said with a goofy smirk, noticing the other's jealousy. "Something my people pride ourselves on. Not many can just straight up fly but gliding... Gliding we can all do."

"Lucky." Gunnar commented, "Could have used that when I lived up on the Isles. As for you Orin... FLEX!" With a laugh Orin and Gunnar both flexed, while Gunnar's was something to behold Orin still looked like he had some work to do. It had been a joke between the two of them when they were traveling alone when Gunnar noticed Orin getting stronger. "Damn... Almost as muscular as me. Keep at it Orin, be a positive influence on tubby Balor." He teased, elbowing Balor who seemed to detest such an action greatly but couldn't do much about it. "Alright then... Keep in mind where this place here is. Don't get too far lost or we'll all be separated again."

As soon as Gunnar said that Amara started marching her way south, causing both Gunnar and Sinna to follow suit quickly or they'd lose her in the darkness of the trees. Gunnar gave a wave to Orin and the others before racing after her with Sinna in tow. Even Dio offered Orin a slight wave of goodbye, the first action the boy had caught Dio doing since his brutal confrontation with Gunnar. The three disappeared into the darkness leaving the four others near the ship ladder to all travel together now.

"I really hope they don't hurt eachother..." Edea commented, watching as the they disappeared into the forest. "We need everyone we can get to battle Central and now the Blazing Isles. Else there'll be nothing left to defend afterwards."

Amara continued to stomp forward until light began to shine down from the canopy above. Although it was dark, the light peaking through the trees was much better than being underneath an airship in one of the darkest points in the woods. Insects were chirping and they had no idea what they were doing or what they were looking for.

"What the hell are we doing out here?" Amara asked both Sinna and Gunnar. "I mean... We separate from the group to cover more ground but what are we searching for? A mana pocket? Food? We don't even have the mana cell with us." She was right, Cheslaw had it on him so for them to be searching for it too it seemed inconvenient as if they found something they'd have to go all the way back to inform the group. "And I get stuck with you?" She said, looking to Gunnar. "Just my luck."

"If you didn't complain so loudly about it I would have went with the others." He said with a smirk, "But you seem to have a problem with me so I'm going to show you why I'm better with Sinna here as the judge. Ain't that right, Sin?" Gunnar was pleased to see that Sinna had started to warm up to him, he chalked it up to him defending Gunnar with everything he had was enough to earn her respect. "Hell, if you didn't complain so loudly we could hunt too. Maybe find some fresh meat... I haven't had a proper meal that wasn't sea food in days."

"I can't say for sure, Gunnar. The only way to say for sure is good-spirited competition. Just as long as you don't kill each other. Hey, maybe it'll end this whole thing once and for all! As long as you two don't literally kill each other, because..." She pursed her lips. "I'd be sad, Balor would be pissed, and Orin would be really sad. Well, if Gunnar got hurt. Not sure about you, 'Mara, you've been kind of a bitch to him." she said. Then, she shrugged. "But he gets over that easily. Happens a lot."

Whether the girl had been trying to guilt Amara or not, it wasn't exactly clear. Still, she walked on as if not a single word had been said, not even sparing a look toward Amara. "I understand that you're tough and all that, but maaaybe you might be happier if you didn't go quite as harsh on those who you're going to be travelling with. Orin could teach you a few things, too."

Her eyes shifted, looking out to the scenery as they all walked amongst the vegetation. "We could look for herbs, too. You guys get hurt a lot. Can teach you both what to use and what not to use; what to mix. Might not always have someone on your backs healing you when you rage out into battle." she said. "Like this one, over here."

"That's a losing battle if I ever heard it." Orin said. "Guess it's official now, though. For the record, I don't approve of pushing the dude who just lost his wife into murdering two continents of people. I don't want that for them, anyways. There will be other warriors and other people." He said.

As the Blind Seer walked with arm outstretched to guide him, Balor watched him, saying nothing to hint that he had been. He knew just how irritable the Seer could be when it had come to such things. But he'd noticed an improvement from the last time he'd been guiding him; instead of wandering blindly into holes and marsh, Orin almost seemed to be developing an intuition, feet raising to conquer high obstacles and bracing to step into low ones. He followed the sounds of their voices and their breathing, Slaw in particular being the loudest of them all as he staggered through the woods with difficulty.

"I agree." Balor said. "There must be a way to do things that doesn't involve sacrificing our friends. We have to think smarter than simply 'send them into battle', because if that's what we ask, that is what they'll do. I understand that now, and I don't want the deaths of any one of us on our hands if an alternative prevents itself. Even if that means being distasteful, in ways."

"Balor. Riddles. Stop speaking in them." Orin said.

"If we must manipulate, we should." Balor replied. "Not our friends, but ... other factions. Intrigue and deception. It's something I'm skilled in, in a past life." he said, eyes glued to Orin.

"I fought valiantly. I took an entire beach of opponents myself! I thought you had died-" Amara replied after Sinna referenced what had happened. "-Nevermind that. What's done has been done. I agree with you, Sin. We should know how to heal ourselves, whether that be with medicines or naturally. Even your wraith couldn't heal the ugly out of you Gunnar." She teased, though more light heartedly than usual. It was perfect that Sinna was here, without her tensions would be too high and her along with the Viking would most likely be in a fight due to her temper and him not knowing when to stop. "As for your brother well... I have been unkind to him. I will admit that."

"That's the understatement of the year." Gunnar sassed back, causing Amara to huff but the elvish woman let it out with a sigh before exploding back to him. "Orin is the nicest man I've ever met. He can talk a whole lot too, so it's expected he'd fire off back at you if you're being a bitch."

"I'm aware I am one, doesn't mean I can change completely who I am." Amara looked over to Sinna, frowning. "I will... try to make an effort to mend things with your brother. Hell, when I beat Gunnar today I will even make an effort to mend bridges with him. You are right... I push people away with my hostility. It's..." She looked as if she was about to open up, but in typical Amara fashioned she shut down. "It's nothing." She replied firmly, "I'll try and do better towards MOST of you. Not all of you... I can see myself playing nice with you Gunnar if I don't end up killing you but that Starseer bitch... Not a chance in the world."

"Looks like we finally agree on something." Gunnar said, sharing the same opinion with Amara. "It's a start. The next is finding something to do out here to prove who's more talented." Gunnar smirked, "Say... What did you all do other than liberate that city? You two seem pretty friendly with one another and for you Amara... Well it's downright scary you having a friend. Are you taking me out here to kill me Sinna? Amara?" He couldn't help but laugh at the idea of the small Ifritian girl trying to harm him let alone kill him, Amara on the other hand was a different story. "I'll warn you now... I'm a screamer."

"I do not suggest we fight foolishly, fellow Seer." Edea replied to Orin, surprising him greatly as she referred to him as that. "You are wise beyond your years. There are few things I disagree with my goddess and our leader Seers about but... One of my most hated things of my own kind is what they do to the boys." She had actual remorse in her voice, though it was heavily coated with guilt. "You and your kind are the reason why what I do now could be considered unforgivable by my sisters. It is the most cruel thing someone can do to someone... crippling them that way..." She was pushing it, but concluded with, "I have studied many of ancient magics to restore sight after being blinded by a Seer. I am still far from a discovery but..." She smiled softly, "If I ever find a solution I will share it with you."

While the idea of restoring his sight was attractive, Edea did phrase that as if they were years from ever finding a solution. Her words were also almost too sweet, as if she was trying to secure their trust. However, what she said next flipped that around.

"In war there is death. You need to accept this, Mister Balor. I know you followers of Prisma think there is an alternative and I wish that be true yet... sacrifices on all sides must be made to find true peace." She said bluntly, "But... I do agree with you. We should not feed the ones we travel with into battles they are not necessary in. You all are too special, too talented to fight a foot soldier's fight. This war will be resolved with espionage, strike missions and knowledge. Not rolling plains of swords and spears colliding into one another with walls of magical missiles flying over head. No..." Edea smiled softly, "It is a game of who is working smarter and who gains the god's favor first."

"We're not on the same level." Orin said, snapping back at Edea. "I'm not a Starseer. That implies that I do anything regarding your ... their faction. Seers are born under Constellia. I'm born under Sombros. Constellia still, but ... it made me into something different. And you're right. It is cruel. But fitting. Isn't that right?" he asked, coldly. His expression had turned sour at the subject, her smile being lost on him. She'd soon realize that the subject was a little more than touchy for him. Before Balor could open his mouth to speak, however, Orin continued, tongue hot.

"If you could find a solution to having my head shoved in a vat of acid, by all means, share it with me. Short of getting me new eyes, I don't think it's going to happen. Maybe you should ask Constellia if she could spare a few, since she collects them, and all." he hissed, face sour. "But yeah. Appreciate the gesture."

Balor, Slaw, Orin, and Edea walked in silence for a while. The landscape was shifting around them, and before they knew it, they had come across a small opening where light streamed down by the holes in the treetops. Before they had plunged into it, however, Balor spoke again to Edea. "I am aware ... but if we fight the same way as they do - by murder, slavery, and subjugation - then we'll fall into the same habits. It's what I saw in Moiran. It's what I saw ... on the Blazing Isles. In Central. A good idea, turning into a corrupted one. Our foundations must be good. Genuinely."

Slaw looked between them all, not sure what to say, and not entirely aware of the context.

"...What should people call you then, Orin?" he asked, a little oblivious to the point. "It doesn't seem like that was meant in a bad way."

"Yes. Amara, he's discovered our plan. Quick!" Sinna said. "Okay, well. A lot happened. We liberated the city, yeah, but then we had to travel to Dorn. 'Mara's been training me. Mostly just kicking my ass, because that's part of the lesson plan, apparently." she said, with a laugh. "We stayed at a church in Dorn for a while while Bal verbally abused the Priest there, but ... Oh! And Amara tried to sacrifice herself for me on the beach."

When Amara looked over to fume at Sinna, she was met with an insane grin. Sinna reached out, punching the elven woman's arm and knocking her out of her stupor. "Anyway ... I think everyone realizes that you are who you are. And you've got a certain charm to you! As long as you like crazy homicidal elves. It's just that people won't get to see the good side - the one that saves Shade and Ichor and Onyx children - if you're hostile when you first meet 'em."

Her smile turned sweet. "I think they should get to see that side, too. You can be a guardian, without having to be mean with your words. I hear that somewhere around the world, there's a Giant that carries a city on his back and shoulders, protecting them wherever he goes. He's kind, like Stand. You can be that, too."

She looked to Gunnar. "Also, Orin can be a turd. Don't let him fool you." she said. "He's probably screaming at Balor right now."

"People should call him Orin, but a Seer he still is." Edea said adamantly. "Your words are strong boy, and I can understand you have no love for my kind. But... Whether you like it or not they are your kind too. You were born under Constellia AND Sombros... an... interesting combination. One that might prove to be most interesting much later. Your punishment was NOT fitting and NOT deserved. I assure you that." She said, even more guilt in her words than before. "I once stood idly by while my sisters burned boys like you... I will not lie to you and feign innocence. I have however saved more boys than I have seen hurt... Whether that be tricking my sisters into believing we blinded them or by simply showing them a way out of the observatory." Edea sighed, "There are so many of them that my sisters have hurt because of misguidance... They don't notice the ones I've saved thankfully but if I had it my way I'd have saved them all."

Edea frowned, "I have a few others that have agreed to help me on liberating the ones we hurt, including telling lies of what signs someone is at checkpoints or during searches. You know as well as I do how easy it is to tell what sign someone is born under. I have given more false reports in my than I can count." She continued to walk alongside them, although Orin was obviously against her she wanted to reach out an olive branch or at the least open up a dialog. "Listen. I know you have no love for my kind, even I barely have any for the sisters that follow Constellia so blindly-" She realized how insensitive that sounded but continued on. "But that doesn't mean we're all bad. Balor is right, Orin. Our foundation must be genuine and good, otherwise we will repeat the mistakes of the past. That is why I intend to help build our foundation as such."

"I like you Balor... You too have made mistakes in your life that you wish to right." She smirked, "Even a non-seer could see that. I agree with you entirely. Slavery, destruction... murder. Unforgivable acts. I do not intend to fight the same way they do however, not by a long shot. I do not need slaves or assassins to fight my battles but rather... Pitting the two armies together to cancel themselves out. Have a clear victor in the people themselves and not their governments." For the first time she chuckled, "I know it sound's like a child's fantasy... But I truly believe we can make a world like that."

"You... tried to sacrifice yourself for Sinna?" Gunnar asked Amara, his voice soft and low. "I caught what you mentioned earlier but... You actually did that?" He grunted, "And here I thought you were selfish."

"I... Well... I would never..." Amara paused, a quizzical look appearing on her face as she tried to weasel her way out of this. When she realized she had to admit that she cared for Sinna and nearly gave her life up just because she seen what happened to her she decided to come clean. "I seen Sinna die... I was encased in a tomb of glass and- Well... You know how it is I'm sure, traveling with her brother." Amara actually smiled as she was retelling what happened, "I've come to enjoy beating the hell out of her." She said, trying her best to ruin the moment but her face said it all. "And... She's a sweet girl. Much sweeter to me than I deserve. So, when I seen what looked like to be her death I freaked out and well... I couldn't control myself."

"So... you tried to take on a whole beach of troops by yourself?" Gunnar laughed, "I seen their numbers from above, that was a suicide mission."

"That's the point. I was going to avenge my friend and die by the sword as I failed to protect her. I am sure you feel the same way about Orin..."

"You aren't wrong. That's what we have in common end however." Gunnar added, "Orin had been..." He wondered if Sinna would be furious with him or thankful he had been around. "Had been hunted down by a group of slavers when we entered the Blazing Isles. They took him and I tore through an entire village, hurting innocent people to get information on where he had gone... It's how I met Sirius actually. We hadn't been formally introduced but luckily we were both hunting the same people down and well-" He sighed, "I took on an entire slaver group by myself just to get to Orin. Sirius truly saved the day but if I hadn't started the assault I don't think Orin would be alive." He looked over to Sinna, "Sorry..." He whispered, that story only being a fraction of what had happened. "Told you I'd keep him safe though. Even if it costed me my life."

"It's ... not that I think you're bad. I don't know you ... Edea? I just think that it's easy to give condolences, and less easy to be forgiven. Just blinding one is enough. It's fucking hard living a life without sight. Harder than you'll ever realize. Because you can not only see, but you can see, and you can see. Meaning it's hard to accept your sympathy. To me, everything just looks like ... like a vacant starfield. I see the signs, but it doesn't matter." he said, frustrated, almost stumbling on his words as he tried to explain it to them. "And then I get to have my head invaded."

"Your head invaded...?" Balor questioned, the phrase confusing him. He wondered briefly what had happened while the Seer had been travelling with Gunnar. "Are you talking about the visions?" he asked. "Like what lead you to Gunnar?"

"...No. Those ... are fine, if scary, but -" Orin thought back, wondering if they'd all even believe him if he'd told them what had happened on the Floating Isles. "Forget about it." he said, resolving himself to silence. Lips pursed, Balor shifted his eyes to Edea, letting Orin stew in his own anger for the situation while the alchemist conversed with her.

"I hope you don't intend to fight that way. I am not one to instantly judge a person based on their sign; if I were, then I would ... not have come into Orin and Sinna's company. But trust does have to be earned." he said, his words his own version of not reciprocating her fondness for him. "I believe that that world can exist as well. I think we have to, if we are to help it at all."

While the two talked, Slaw walked next to Orin, looking to him with slight curiosity. "My people don't accept me either." he said. "I ... intended on leaving you, on the Floating Islands. Going back to my people, but ... I realized when I saw Veldard that they'd be just as cruel as the day I was cast off."

Sinna's eyes widened as she stopped in place, listening to Gunnar regale the story of how her brother had nearly been taken by slavers, Gunnar nearly dying in the process. "I... didn't realize that you guys went through so much. I think ... I think that it was selfish to take him in the first place, but..."

Her eyebrows contorted into anger for a moment, before softening. She still had her brother. "I guess I'm glad that he got stuck with you instead of being stuck out there alone. I think I would have gone fucking crazy if he did." she said. "And for the record, you guys are more alike to each other than you think you are. And I'm lucky I got stuck with Amara, too. I think travelling with you guys will make us stronger."

She looked to Amara. "If you intend on staying travelling with us. Since you came out with us to get revenge on Gunnar, after all."

"And it will be, I assure you. Though, me saying that won't have much effect on how you all look at me but-" Edea paused for a second, looking visibly bothered by something for a moment. It was as if she was starring far ahead, only to shake it off and let out a goran. She wiped her face and let out a grimace, "I hate the forest. A bug just flew in my face!" Although she was disturbed at what had just happened she did let out a laugh, "I guess the forest doesn't want us to speak so seriously. At the very least it's getting brighter around here." She commented, walking forward with Balor as Cheslaw and Orin tracked behind them.

"I appreciate you giving me the benefit of the doubt, at the very least. Many of your people are on edge around me and for good reason. It is not every day you find a Starseer traitor... Though it is more common than you'd think." She confessed, "Many sisters find the work to be too distasteful, even though the vast majority of us are taken in as children. It's probably because we deal so closely with the damnation of entire groups of people and expected to just follow blindly." Edea licked her lips, she wished she had the foresight enough to bring water with her as they drew deeper into the forest.

They continued to walk for some time until Edea began veering off the path they were following. She soon pointed forward into the cluster of trees before them, holding her other hand up towards the path.

"Mana. And a great vein of it at that. If we follow this direction we'll come across some sooner rather than later." She smiled, "I have my uses. I could teach you how to do this too Orin, a great gathering of mana is very easy for a trained Seer to see."

"I came to destroy Gunnar, I'm staying because without me you're just a squirt. You'll get hurt. Can't have that on my conscious." Amara deflected, as Sinna expected her to. "That and I like to have a few victory laps after I defeat you, Gunnar."

"So far I haven't seen you do shit." Gunnar taunted, "I came here to see if you were all talk and it's looking that way. What? You going to talk me to death Amara? You're not very good at it." He teased, knowing that he was digging under her skin well. "We've been walking for a long time now and you are still playing nice. That's not the Amara I expected such a challenge from, where's this grand challenge at? We going to pick flowers together? How about we braid eachother's hair?" Gunnar couldn't help but laugh, "If I had known any better Sinna softened you up, Elf. You-"

"You're dead..." Amara growled, getting more and more fed up with his taunts. "I just haven't... seen anything to best you at yet in this DUMB FOREST!" She shouted, growing increasingly bored with her surroundings. As they walked further and further the forest seemed less mysterious and more magnificent, the massive trees dwarfing the three and incredibly so. None of them had seen such high trees before, it was a miracle any light managed to pierce the canopy at all. Then, whilst Amara was busy trying to find something to challenge Gunnar at it hit them.

Tracks. Massive ones.

"You were saying?" Gunnar asked, putting his hand down on the massive footprint. The footprint was as wide as Gunnar, his hand dwarfed by the massive print. "First to hunt and kill whatever this thing is the victor." He said, smirking. "Sinna can't interfere. If I win, that's two. If you somehow manage to beat me we'll be even."

"I'm not fighting to be even, I'm fighting to be better!"

"That's a shame, cause right now you're one down." Gunnar smirked, "We need to eat. You need to prove yourself an actual challenge. Sound good to you Sin? This beast is fucking massive whatever it is... Big forest big creature I guess." He stood up, looking at the two of them. "You in, Amara?"

"I will destroy this beast then destroy you..."

"Teach me how to see mana...? I'm not sure that's possible." Orin asked, thinking. Focusing elsewhere seemed to calm him down the slightest amount. He narrowed his eyes, trying to 'look' forward to see the mana, but ... nothing. He couldn't see it, or feel it, until they had gotten very close. Then, all of their skin had begun to prickle, and they'd felt as if a weight had been lifted off of their shoulders. The feeling of mana was pleasant, addicting, even. But they hadn't found the well to revitalize themselves. They had come with a reason. Orin, Edea, Slaw and Balor approached the direction, the source of the well coming into view. They had approached a massive depression in the ground, like a reverse plateau. Fog, displaced, rolled inside of it like a low-hanging cloud. It had been so saturated in the area that fractals danced in the air like fairies, their shifting colours distorting the air inside of the well.

"Wow. That's ... nice." Slaw said.

"What does it look like?" Orin asked, a phrase he'd said often in the presence of Balor and Sinna, though Edea and Slaw hadn't grown used to it. He was genuinely curious, not taking the slightest amount of offence to Slaw's words even so shortly after his discussion of his disability. Balor took the reigns, knowing well that Slaw wouldn't.

"It's a large ... it almost looks like a lake, except there's no water. The mana is distorting the air, turning it different colors and shapes. It's a pit - so be careful where you step. You could fall in. The vegetation growing out of it is shifted in color, and writhing. Very mystical." He said, though his eyes didn't show any particular amount of wonder. "Now, we have to be weary not to -"

Suddenly, a gust of wind pushed them all as Slaw broke away from them, jumping off of the edge of the pit and gliding down to the bottom. Balor's eyes widened while Orin stood confused, the alchemist rushing toward to see if he could still see Slaw. When he'd seen a tuft of orange feathers poking above the fog, he sighed.

Then, Orin moved to walk forward. Before he had gotten to the edge, Balor instinctively shot out a hand, stopping him. Orin's face contorted in frustration, pushing Balor away.

"Orin, being in a place like this is dangerous. There could be too much, not to mention that you could fall and-"

"Bal. I'm not stupid, and a little mana isn't going to make me explode. Stop treating me like I'm a cripple. I could feel you staring at me the entire way." He hissed, pulling himself over the side. "I heard Slaw land. I know it's not far."

"Wow, I guess we're having a big dinner." Sinna said. "Uhh... okay! As long as whatever you both are going to be killing isn't going to kill you. Because that looks ... pretty big. It's going this way, though." Sinna said. She reached out, touching both Gunnar and Amara by the arm.

Their steps had been silenced, a facet which they hadn't noticed until after some deep introspection on what exactly had changed. It allowed them to sneak, and as she had done it, they had begun to see a lot more wildlife along the path. Gunnar and Amara had eyes only for one, however. And after a formidable amount of silent walking, with even their voices muffled by her magic, they heard it.

Something large.

The sound of trees themselves snapping like twigs filled the area. Sinna almost seemed to instinctively duck, and how they hadn't heard it before as they approached was a wonder in itself. She couldn't help but feel they had gotten themselves into far more than they could handle as the sound of cracking hurt their ears.

"You know what? Maybe this isn't a good idea." She said, voice hushed, unsure.

"Follow my footsteps." Edea stated as she stepped into the crater. She began to slide down softly, the Starseer reveling in the extra mana as she began to walk towards the source. "Do not touch the center but... a little extra mana hurt no one. It is an addicting feeling but one that should not be reveled in." As they passed the fog barrier they found Cheslaw eye balling the center, it was rather frightening seeing a mana vent so closely. "Mana courses the planet in veins." Edea explained, "We are not entirely sure how it works exactly... but we do know it flows out from the center of the planet and spreads to all landmasses and even underwater."

If Orin could see the vent itself was mindblowing to gaze upon. What at first looked simply like a hole in the ground if you peeked over the side you could see a blinding white light coming from within the ground. Cheslaw was safe from the effects for the most part, not being gifted with magical abilities. The others however the closer they got began to feel more powerful, the more fresh. It was addicting, standing this close to a mana source. So much so that it was understandable how someone could willingly mutate themselves and get addicted to the substance.

"Being this close for just a few moments will be fine." Edea said firmly. "I would not stand here much longer than we are though, as the deeper you go the more of a pull Mana has on you. Cheslaw, let us fill the cell and be on our way." She let out a long sigh, one of relief the closer she got to the mana vent. "I am not ordering you all of course. Being this close to a Vent is a learning experience yet..." She turned to Balor, "You know what happens to the creatures that are exposed to vents like these in the wilds." She frowned, "The monsters in these woods would tear us apart with such a strong source such as this. Returning to the ship immediately is important, for all of our safety." She looked to Orin as Cheslaw began to work, "How are you feeling? I bet you can see the glow now, can't you?"

"You're... right." Gunnar said to Sinna's surprise. "Something is wrong. No beast is this big." He said, darting his eyes around looking for the source. "Whatever it is... while it'd make for a good fight I think we should live to fight another day." Gunnar almost never backed away from such a challenge, after hearing the trees themselves snapping like they were nothing put him on edge however. Especially when they seen one of the massive trees nearby crumble down as something rammed into one of them loudly. It sounded as if the tree was crying as it was ripped from the ground, the waling sound of the wood snapping and falling to the ground was incredible and horrific all at the same time.

"You COWARD!" Amara roared, breaking away from Sinna to get a better look at the creature. "You turn down a challenge right when it stares you in the face? I can't believe this is going to be the way that I redeem myself that I-" The trees began to part ways as the creature was alerted by Amara's boasting. When it cleared the tree line and hung above her, she desperately wished she hadn't have been boasting as she done. She had to crank her head backwards to get a good luck at the behemoth, standing in the clearing now was quite possibly the most terrifying sight she had ever seen.

What looked to be thick branches stuck out of its gnarled head, its skin was grey and filled with pockmarks of blackened blood it hadn't bothered to clean off its own face. The monstrosity's face was mutated, what they could make out in the darkness other than its four glowing eyes was that this had been once a simple deer. One that had stumbled too close to a mana vent as the energy mutated the creature behind belief. It roared out at Amara, the sound deafening them all as it showed off its disturbingly large and menacing teeth. Patches of hair dotted the beast's face and body, falling off in clumps as the monster began to charge towards Amara.

She had never been frozen in place in her life. Now, here she was, frozen by fear.

The fiend charged forward and nearly gored Amara but Gunnar tackled her out of the way just in time, he too for once completely and utterly terrified of the beast in front of them. "RUN!" He shouted, dragging Amara to her feet before returning to Sinna practically carrying them both out of there. If they weren't careful they'd be cornered by the beast and forced to fight, otherwise, they had to run.

Balor had quieted after Orin's outburst, following in silence after having been yelled at. He didn't want to offend the boy, but he also didn't care much for letting him thrust himself into danger time and time again. What had even been more frustrating was the fact that he'd followed Edea, even with what she had been. The alchemist didn't dislike her for it, but he'd certainly felt he'd earned some amount of merit throughout their entire experience together.

"Yeah, I can see it. Can feel it too. Feels like static in my head, but ... do all Seers get that?" he asked, curious. "The visions. Especially in areas with high mana. It's hard to concentrate. Like I'm dreaming while I'm awake."

"Doesn't sound normal to me. Maybe you should see a doctor." Slaw commented, causing Orin to laugh. The Avar brought the cell toward the middle of the vent, setting it down. It was a decently compact device, not being much bigger than Slaw's back itself. It wasn't particularly heavy when it had been uncharged, either, but it was certainly a relief for him to have set it down. As he'd set it down and depressed the button on the side, lit runes began to traverse the side of the device. They'd have to wait there for a little while for it to charge.

"It may very well be the influence of Sombros and Constellia in your chart, Orin. Those Gods ... they aren't friendly with one another." Balor commented.

Sinna shook herself out of her stupor when Gunnar had pulled her, feet catching up below. She used the headstart to continue running, but the beast had set its eyes on them enough. Massive, vacant beady eyes bored down on them, sending a shiver along their spines as well as the fear that had pitted in their stomaches. Void magic wouldn't help them now, even if Sinna did have the mental concentration to do so. They were being run down by a beast much faster, and far more mutated than they were.

Woodland splintered behind them, the ground underneath them shaking so violently that it was hard to keep their footing. Then, as it would have to, something gave out. They couldn't keep running forever. And they wouldn't. As Sinna had gone to jump over a massive root - one that Gunnar and Amara had been able to vault themselves, her legs didn't make it far enough up. Instead, her stomach hit the massive root, stopping her in her place as her hand ripped from Gunnar's before he could even realize what was happening.

She ducked down. The last that Gunnar and Amara had seen from her was the beast slamming down it's foot in her vicinity. It kept going as if nothing had happened, Amara being forced to watch her friend supposedly die, twice in one day.

When the beast had passed, however, there had been a massive hole in the place where she'd once been. It was undeniable for a moment that she had died, but then ... her form began to shimmer back into view, eyes turned a Void black as she'd pulled out the stops at the last moment in order to avert her own death. Shaking, she'd felt her mind repopulate with thoughts once again, having cleared it completely. It was a task which she'd never done previously in her life, but if there had been a more appropriate time, it hadn't shown itself.

The thunder of the beast's stomping began to grow quieter as it left her behind, chasing now after Gunnar and Amara, enraged.

"No... they are most certainly not friendly." Edea reinforced, "But that doesn't mean terrible things will become of you. Quite the opposite I think." She added, "You might be one of the keys to bridging the divide. If Constellia was listening to me now she'd smite me right now for saying that..." She looked to the cell charging, actually giving the goddess a moment to smite her for such blasphemy. When it didn't happen she smiled softly, "As for what you are seeing... Dreaming while you're awake? That sounds much different than what I'm experiencing right now." She chuckled, "Maybe the combination of the two has made you more unique than you think."

As they stood there they felt the mana giving them all a nice pleasant buzz, one that would have them all ringing with energy for how long they were staying there. It was totally unnecessary for anyone other than Cheslaw to be there but it was a learning experience for Orin and while Balor and Edea probably didn't want to admit it after such a huge ordeal at the beach the extra mana to revitalize them didn't hurt. As long as they didn't return to one so soon again they would be fine, mutants and abusers of mana not following that rule and paying the price for it.

"My head is buzzing but I wouldn't describe it as static. Visions and the like can come to a Seer but you act as if they happen more often than normal. Perhaps... Your blindness is enhancing what those with sight can not see?" It was an odd theory, but a valid one. "Perhaps by not dealing with the stimuli of sight, your abilities effect you that much more giving you a blank canvas to see what others can not? I am not sure... Most make Seers are highly restricted from mana. I have never heard of such a thing before to be honest with you." She shrugged, "Wish I knew more there but unfortunately your guess is as good as mine. Hopefully they are pleasant visions at the least."

"SINNA!" Amara let out a blood curdling cry as she watched her friend die a second time that day. She just about nearly foolishly got herself killed once again only for Gunnar to grab onto her yet again and drag her out of the way to continue to run. She didn't have a choice this time with Gunnar refusing to let her stay behind. As they continued to sprint she just barely noticed that Sinna had survived this and the relief she felt warmed her heart but at the same time that meant they were separated now with a massive fiend in between them. "We can't run!" She shouted to Gunnar, "Sinna will get trapped!"

"I know! Fuck!" Gunnar shouted back as they kept fleeing from the beast that was gaining on them. "We're not good at running away from the fight, let's take it out!" Gunnar said, confidence returning as the beast no longer had the element of surprise. They knew they were dealing with a giant creature, one that could trample one of them to death in an instant or gore them with its massive horns but now was not the time to worry. This was no longer a contest between the two but a fight for survival. Gunnar and Amara parted ways, both running in the opposite direction of one another forcing the beast to pick a target. It kept on Amara, liking how shiny her armor was and noticing she was much slower moving than Gunnar.

"FIGURES IT DOESN'T TAKE OUT THE BIGGER TARGET!" She shouted to Gunnar as she began to weave in and out of trees as the massive mutant behind her was gaining speed and covering ground she couldn't afford to lose.

"SINNA!" Gunnar shouted as he began to reach into the abyss, ripping out a bundle of spears that he lodged into the ground before him. "HELP AMARA!" Gunnar was trusting Sinna to assist, especially after her experience in open combat now. While young he looked at her as he did Orin, she was capable so she needed to help. Gunnar then began to dig deep, grabbing spear after spear from the ground followed by hurling them as hard as he could at the fiend. Many of pierced the creature deep and while it seemed to slow down after several strikes it only seemed to be enraged further. Amara was running for her life, knowing that any trip up or her trying to fight back currently would result in her death.

Sinna shot up, seeing that Amara had been in danger. She had felt for the woman the very same way that Amara had felt for her; protective. Seeing the beast roar after her was enough for her to spur into action. She shot out of place, pushing herself over the root that had damned her previously and tearing toward the beast. As she ran, her steps were silenced, effectively allowing the beast to continue stalking the woman. At had gotten dangerously close, mawed mouth reaching out to try to bite at her.

It had been so enthralled that it didn't notice the Shade running straight toward it. She tore toward the beast, feeling for a weapon on her person, cursing when she'd realized she'd literally left her hatchet inside of the illusionist. She had a measely dagger; something she'd sifted when she'd been on Slaw's ship. But she also hadn't thought they'd be preyed upon by a gigantic mutant deer, so there was that.

As Amara dived and ducked, the Shade leapt, grabbing haphazardly onto the beast's leg and pulling herself up. If it hadn't noticed her before, it certainly would now, as she dug the dagger into it's leg, finding less of a resistance as the skin and fur had been sloughing off. In any other situation, it would have disgusted her, but this was the livelihood of her friends in question.

The beast reared back, tearing instead toward a tree to slam its newly acquainted leech onto. Sinna roared out, "GUNNAR! HELP!" as she scrambled upward, finding herself on its back. It thrashed wildly, wanting nothing more than to rid itself of the uninvited guest. "Amara! Are you okay?!" she shouted, not knowing in the danger of the situation if she had been too late.

"Not the superpower I'd have chosen." Orin said. "And they're not." he said, with a shiver, thoughts racing back to Necras. "Most visions of this world aren't pleasant, anyways. Maybe it's Sombros."

"Is it done yet, Cheslaw?" Balor asked, shifting uncomfortably under the buzz of mana. He'd felt it as well, but he didn't want to be forced to use his own magic to dissipate the surplus. He could very well leave, of course, but he still didn't want to let the others out of his sight. Not around a Seer, no matter how trustworthy she had seemed.

"...Almost." Slaw said, kneeling next to the cell. It had been a task, standing and walking for so long, so a break from that had been beneficial, at best. "It's going to be heavy after it's filled. ...Uh, what was your name ...?" he asked, looking to Balor. Balor shot a look toward the Avar, mouth contorted into a contemptuous frown.

"Balor." he replied, approaching the pack. It had been a little too close to the stream than he'd've liked, and it certainly had been a little more than heavy, as well. Slaw grabbed the makeshift straps, pulling them up onto the alchemist. With a huff, he'd taken it on himself. "Slaw ... if you and Orin want to walk a little ways ahead of me, do that. It may take a while to get this back."

"I'M FINE! HOLD ON! REMEMBER YOUR TRAINING!" The Elvish warrior shouted back up to Sinna, trying to get an advantage over the mutated fiend by climbing a nearby tree with pointy spiked arms. She was jabbing the metal blades directly into the tree, using them with just enough force to crawl her way up the otherwise hard to climb tree. While she was doing that the fiend was progressively getting angrier as Sinna continued to ride on the back of it, bucking and spinning like a pissed off bull. Then, it got struck in the neck with a spear. It roared viciously as it had a massive spectral spear lodged on the outside of its throat, that was until it vanished causing a torrent of corrupted blood to come squirting out onto the forest floor.

"Hey!" Gunnar called from across the clearing. "How'd that feel you mutant fuck?" Gunnar began beating on his chest like a savage, trying to taunt the creature away from fighting Sinna off. He ditched his weapons and began to walk forward as the mutant began to hoof at the ground kicking up dust and leaves while it snorted and began to froth at the mouth. They could see pure mana radiating from inside the creature, light piercing through its thick hide the more damage it took. "THAT'S RIGHT! COME GET IT!" Gunnar roared like a mad man, stomping his feet back and doing his best impression of the beast. This pissed it off further causing it to charge right then and there.

Luckily Amara jumped in time, landing on the beast's back and jabbing her blades deep into it to get a good hand hold as it began to charge insanely fast towards Gunnar. The beast propelled itself faster and faster, ignoring the digging coming from Amara and Sinna as they began to hack and destroy it bit by bit. Gunnar stood perfectly still until the opportune time, diving out of the way while the beast reached its top speed and barreled directly into a dense set of trees. The gigantic bundle of trees all caved in while stabbing the fiend with their branches, causing a devastating amount of damage to the creature in a rather clever fashion.

"YOU HOLD ON LADIES!" Gunnar shouted, "I'll join you when it's time!" He actually intended on killing it as he raced across the clearing again waiting for the beast to charge at him once more. "ALRIGHT UGLY! ROUND 2 LETS GO!" Gunnar paused, "THAT MEANS YOU AMARA! I WOULDN'T INSULT THE MONSTER LIKE THAT!"

"YOU BASTARD!" She roared back as she began to use the mutant creature as her own personal pin cushion, ripping and tearing through its weakened flesh until light began to pour out from its back. "I WILL TEAR YOU BOTH APART!"

"Go on ahead Cheslaw, Orin. I will support Balor with the cell." Edea smirked, "As much of a muscle man as he appears to be, I doubt we want this to take too long." As the others turned their backs to walk out of the crater, Edea stood dangerously close to the mana vent while she assisted Balor with the weight by lifting from behind. They began to walk, the Starseer being the last to leave the mana crater. "This is a bit of an awkward way to walk but I would like to help." She stated, supplying a surprising amount of strength with the cell.

As they walked they were mostly quiet other than the grunts and groans of both Edea and Balor shouldering the heavy object. It was surprising to say the least, misleading how much mana could weigh when used in a fuel form such as this.'

"I know beggars... can't be choosers but..." Edea chuckled, "Next time we shall put them on Mana cell duty." She said, trying to make light of the situation. "That is, if there is a next time of course. Do not mistake me, I have enjoyed your company but I know how the rest of you view me." Edea said quietly, "I would like to prove myself to you but if you would think it best I will leave the next town we arrive in. If I put everyone on edge then they can't go to the best of their abilities, although I can be useful I do not want to overstep my bounds." She paused, "You are the leader, yes?" She asked, seeing the way Balor carried himself giving her that impression. "The others seem so young... reckless. That Gunnar in particular. Moira mentioned him in great detail." She said, groaning. "I don't see what's so special. The humans have always rubbed me the wrong way. It seems you keep the peace, at least."

As the beast tumbled violently toward Gunnar, Amara had been able to hold on. That was a far different cry from Sinna, whose only means of rooting herself to the beast had been the measely knife she'd jabbed into its skin and her own sharpeneed nails, which didn't account for much. In fact, soon she had found herself thrown off of the beast as it ran toward Gunnar once again. And he dove out of the way - once again. As it collided with the trees, she collided hard with the floor, knowing well that she'd have to roll to avoid being crushed. She did just that, pulling herself up on the direct opposite side of Gunnar. She had been met with a sweep of a rotting tail, knocking her sideways.

But she had left her impact.

Not only had Sinna been digging her knife into the beast, she'd also been siphoning away its mana, bit by bit. Of course, she saw not one bit of it for herself, being under Sombros. But that didn't mean much; her effect had taken place. Its movements had grown slower, making it a decently easier target for Gunnar's spears. She held her head low due to the exhaustion of wrassling a gigantic mutated deer, she'd spent all of her mana, and she'd been tail-swiped just moments earlier. She held her head low as not to aggro the beast; it had been lagging, slowly but surely.

And then, as Gunnar threw one last spear, piercing the temple of the damned thing, it let out an ear-piercing scream. Only ... it hadn't been a scream. All of the holes they had poked in its body began to leak light and mana, irradiating everything around it, including Gunnar, Amara, and Sinna. Then, as the audible burst of the creature had reached its crescendo, it fell. It fell, head going lax against the ground beneath it, body falling limp.

Sinna fell backwards, taking the moment to succumb to exhaustion. Before she had fully done so, however, she talked to them all.

"Tie." she said, before splaying out.

"He's ... Young. But you all are." Balor said. "Compared to me, I guess. They don't get the time to mature as other races do - humans. Neither do the Ifrit, or the Sang'rok. It's sad, but the least I can do in my long lifetime is see that they don't shorten their own smaller ones." he said.

"They're ... reckless, to a degree, I would say, but their loyalty knows no bounds. He's proven that to me so far." Balor said, looking to Edea over his shoulder. "As far as if I'm the leader...? I'm not sure. I had never really thought about it that way. I'm not sure if I'm brutish or outspoken enough to be the leader. I certainly would be able to do a decent job of it." he said, not downplaying his own abilities in the slightest. He struggled with the mana cell, getting a bit of a sinking feeling as he'd seen Slaw and Orin head off ahead of him. However, once they had been out of earshot, his tone grew a bit dimmer.

"How did you get involved with Moira?" he asked.

"You don't talk a lot, do you?" Orin asked, following behind Slaw.

"Some would say as much as you see." Slaw replied.

"Sick burn, dude." Orin said, laughing. "Why? Why are you even sticking around with us? Helping us? You don't have to be our personal chauffer. And if you're afraid of Gunnar - that's long since passed. He's not going to hurt you. You know that, right?" the Seer asked.

"Are you trying to convince me not to?" Slaw retorted.

"You're missing the point of the question." Orin replied, quickly. He'd been curious about the bird ever since they had come across him. "You miss the point of a lot of things. Did you get dropped from the nest?" Orin asked, unaware of the tinge of surprise that had crossed Slaw's face, for the first time in conversation. He'd been caught off-guard, a key skill of the Seer.

"Erm... I guess you could say that." Slaw said. "I don't ... know why I'm helping you, to be honest. I think it's pity." he said, shorter than Orin would have liked.

"Fuck you, buddy."

"Tie..." Amara mumbled, walking over to Sinna who had been splayed out on the ground. The fiend behind them began to disintegrate further, the holes in it beginning to leak more and more mana out as it began to bubble and burst before their very eyes. Its skin and flesh began to melt, letting out a bizarre hissing noise as the energy began to be sucked right back into the planet. "A... tie?" Amara asked, dumbfounded at what Sinna had said before collapsing. "THAT CAN NOT BE A TIE!" She shouted, rushing forward to shake her back awake. "I DID MORE WORK I LED IT AWAY AND-"

"It's a tie." Gunnar said firmly, "The ref said so and..." He began to laugh, nearly uncontrollably so as he looked at the expression on Amara's face. "Instead of competing we worked together... Damn Amara..." He shook his head, laughing all the while. "It looks like we're still 1-0. Which means that I'm your better. Wait until Orin gets to hear about this he's gonna love what happened. Well, minus that his sister got involved but still..." He turned towards her and had a shit eating grin on his face, "I'm better than you."

The onslaught of curse words and insults thrown at Gunnar was incomprehensible as Amara launched into the biggest rage he had ever seen her do. Even after being exhausted after going to war and then a battle with a massive fiend she still had unique and new ways to try and get under his skin. She continued her onslaught reaching a volume that nearly shattered Gunnar's ear drums.

"YOU WILL NEVER BE MY BETTER YOU ARE LUCKY THAT THIS BEAST NEEDED THREE OF US TO TAKE IT DOWN-" She continued her shouting, no doubt scaring off any game that they could potentially hunt now that the main predator had been dealt with. "-WIPE THAT FUCKING GRIN OFF YOUR FACE YOU INSUFFERABLE DISGUSTING LOOKING-" As her rage continued she didn't even seem to stop for a breath as she berated Gunnar in every way possible. The viking bent down and picked up Sinna, noticing she was unconscious. Luckily so as Amara's rage had no limits. "AND ANOTHER THING-"

"Shut. The. Fuck. Up." Gunnar said, causing her to go silent as he began to lead the way back to the ship. "That's right, listen to your better." It got worse. Gunnar smiled bigger, Sinna stirred even whilst unconscious due to Amara's ridiculous assault. "Never change Amara." Gunnar added in the lull of the rate which she quickly patched up. Gunnar wasn't looking at her but Amara was fighting back a smile as well, trying her best to keep up the angry tirade to hide the fact that she loved that she had at least two people she can go into battle with and trust completely again.

She wasn't alone anymore.

"It was... loud. Almost cost me my life." Edea confessed. "It was years ago, before she even had a sanctuary in Moiran. They were darker days... It was a particularly heavy year for Constellia blessed births. There were a higher amount of boys than normal however, meaning that many we're going to blinded or... worse." She confessed, "Most boys are sent to work at our Observatories, basically reduced to servants when they are blessed with wonderful abilities. Much like Orin but... to a lesser degree. They are shackled with mana draining shackles or collars or what have you and then sent to do work. Those who won't, die." Since Balor was being direct she would be too. "I did not approve of my sisters doing. I also could not lash out properly as in reality I am not the strongest of fighters."

They continued to walk, the Patagi Seer supporting the cell with her hands. While the radiation from the cell itself could intoxicate those holding it Edea seemed to be handling it just fine, not offering a word of complaint of too much energy flowing through her as a result of lifting the object. If anything the damage had been done by entering the pit. It sure beat the alternative that the other group had experienced however.

"I met Moira like she meets most people, loud and commanding others to do her work for her." Edea smirked, remembering the time fondly. "When she seen me she sent about 10 strong Shades to kill me. So, I did what any normal Seer would do and begged for my life. What she didn't know was I had eight young Starseer boys with me, a mix of them blinded while some I had barely managed to sneak away. I knew who she was... She is infamous in Central for being one of the few Midas to sneak away forbidden ones and not care for her own well being. That one does not have greed..." She chuckled, "The most unique Midas I've ever met."

She continued, "When she seen the eight boys she was confused, conflicted. Why would a Starseer of all people bring her forbidden ones? She made me go through a series of test to prove my value, meaning I had to sneak more and more away from the Observatory. I almost got caught several times but alas my luck prevailed. When she finally trusted me she began sharing with me where the sanctuaries were, roughly. She would never tell me the exact locations. Rightfully so if I was ever caught of course." Edea let out a sigh, a happy one. "Ever since then I've helped the resistance. Either smuggling our boys away or identifying a forbidden one incorrectly. Espionage on my sisters..." She frowned, "I've done terrible things, but... I think if I contribute little by little I can make a difference at the very least."

Gunnar and Amara walked for a while that way, with Sinna in a completely exhausted lull from having pushed far past what she should have been able to accomplish with what little mana she had. It was a wonder she had even stayed standing for the battle at all, let alone to gore the beast and void it's mana. Unfortunately for her, she was under Sombros, not Mana, and had only detrimented from the process. Still, for someone who had smelled like rotting carcass, battled a giant beast, and nearly got killed, she was sleeping rather peacefully, np matter how Amara had tried to stop that from happening.

The walk had been long, especially with a body to carry and what they had been through. Gunnar and Amara had braved through it, however, the latter barely even stopping to breathe, let alone be tired. Strangely, even through Amara's crazed ranting, the walk had even been peaceful. Perhaps it had been that all the local wildlife had been frightened away, or that they had predator blood all over them. Either or, nothing they could come across could really compare to what they had been through.

"Why?" Slaw asked, not understanding. Orin had been wearing the poor Avar down. If he didn't understand mannerisms when they had first met, he really didn't understand them now. "...oh, the pity?" He wondered. "You're blind, the Viking's wife is dead, and your mentor is a pacifist. I think ... I unlink it's fair to pity you?"

"First. If you tell Gunnar you pity him, there isn't going to be a thing in the world that will be able to stop him from killing you. Not wise. I'm just wondering why you're so weird. Are all Avars like this? Do you even know?" Orin asked, cocking his head at Slaw. The sight unnerved him. "You need a better reason than pity to stay. I pity small animals, but I'm not going to cart one around on my back and avert from my home for a rabbit." He said.

"I . . . Guess I'm not sure I wasn't to go back to Arcadia's Isles, after all." Slaw admitted. "I remember it as an amazing place. If it's not, then ..."

"You become a vagabond adventurer with a flying home ship? I fail to see the issue." Orin said.

"I see." Balor said. "I am sure that you've probably assumed correctly that I was Glass. That carries its own implications, but I won't go into it. I left that life behind before many of you who are living now were even born. Sinna and Orin, probably Gunnar included. I don't want that to be how they know me as, however, so if you would be so kind as to let them make that connection on their own." He said.

"I'm not entirely sure I trust you, but I'm also not entirely sure I trust Slaw, nor Amara, and certainly not the rogue on the ship. It's not my place to invite you to stay; like I said, in not the leader, but if you are a contact of Moira's, I'm lead to believe it might be mutually beneficial." He said, painting the picture in painfully odd terms. "The others ... have a large reason to mistrust, but you might be able to -"

He stopped in his tracks as he looked ahead. A little ways in the distance, he'd seen the forms of Gunnar, Amara, and Sinna. Only, Amara had been screaming, and Sinna...

Edea would feel the full weight of the cell as Balor dropped it, taking off into a jog, and then a run, to meet them all. He rushed past Irin, leaving the Seer bewildered. He, too, had heard them, but the declination of his walking partner to even attempt to describe what had been going on left him confused.

"What happened?!" Balor hissed, "Sinna, are you alright?!" He asked, seeing the spent girl.

"How are we going to get her back into the ship?" Slaw asked oblivious.

"Calm down Balor, she's taking a nap." Gunnar said, smiling to reassure the worried father figure. "See, watch." Gunnar raised up one of his hands and began to move her lips, heightening his voice he said, "I'm just fine Papa Balor! Amara and Gunnar here took great care of me ya see and-"

"Be serious... for once... you fucking idiot..." Amara growled, looking over at Gunnar making a mockery of Sinna and getting well beyond her normal annoyance. "I can't believe I didn't leave him for dead in the forest. We'll make him lug her up there on his own, no one else touches the ladder and if Gunnar falls he'll break Sinna's fall at the very least." She said, a smirking finally appearing on her face. "We got into some trouble. There... Was a creature."

"A result of the mana vent most likely!" Edea exclaimed, dragging the mana cell along the ground. She was able to help Balor carry it but lugging it up herself had proven to be difficult. "The wildlife around here may have been exposed to it.. Could also explain the freakishly large trees here as well. An area rich with mana is also a breeding ground for monstrosities like none of you all have ever seen before. What was it?"

"A giant rotting deer." Gunnar replied. "Fucking thing was the size of a house and had its flesh tearing off at the seems. Bright white eyes, horns the size of normal trees... One hoof stomp and we could have all been goners." He looked down to Sinna who seemed to be having herself quite the nap, "Sinna here drained it of its energy and well..." Gunnar started to laugh, "The fucking thing popped! Can you believe it? Me and Amara we're fighting it pretty hard but it was ultimately Sinna who saved the three of us."

"It's... true." Amara grunted, crossing her arms. She seen the trouble Edea was having with the cell and snatched it from her grasp, "I'll take this up. Wouldn't want you sabotaging our fuel, Starseeing bitch." With that, Amara jumped up on the ladder and began to climb first without any more words. She wasn't in the talking mood surprisingly after not shutting up the entire way back. They watched the glow of the mana cell disappear into the darkness above them until finally she crossed over the ledge, showing just how high they had to get to.

"Well... looks like I'm carrying Sinna up. Unless you want to fly her up Sla-" Gunnar paused, "Wait... I forgot... can't fly." He started to laugh, ribbing the Avar a little bit. "Least you ain't a vulture. Those bastards are the worst. Weird faced, eating rotting flesh... Smelly." He paused, "I'm kidding. Not about the vultures but you being able to fly." He couldn't tell when Cheslaw would take a joke correctly or not so he added that before ascending the ladder. "Let's hope Sinna doesn't wake up in the middle of this!" As he slung her over his shoulder and began to ascend with her head pointed down toward the ground.

Balor stood at the bottom of the ladder, holding onto it for fear of Gunnar dropping Sinna. It would be an absolutely awful way to die. Fortunately for her, she didn't wake up during the ascent. No, she had pushed herself too far and did too much. As soon as Orin had felt the ladder stop moving, however, he pulled himself up onto it.

His own ascent had been far more difficult than his descent, but with not being stuck with carrying the cell and the revitalization he'd gone through in the mana pit, he had gotten to the top relatively quickly. Especially as Balor held the ladder for them all, rooting it and attempting not to sway it. He had even waited for Edea to climb, being the very last one to have ascended at all.

When Orin had gotten to the top, he pulled Sinna from Gunnar, wrapping her arm around his shoulder. All of it had caused her to stir from sleep, emanating groggy, half-conscious sounds akin to the words, "What?" and "Go away," before promptly falling back into it. Despite the humor of the situation, there was a very real look of concern on the Blind Seer's face as he'd helped his sister to the back. "Slaw won't mind your disgusting ass taking a nap in his bed, I'm sure." he mused, trying to keep it light. "He probably will. And he'll probably make a stupid comment about it, but..." he trailed, talking to Sinna as if she had actually been listening.

When they had gotten to the bed - where Slaw had taken up rest when his ankle had been broken - he helped her to the bed, lifting her legs up onto it and throwing the blanket over her. It was a sweet gesture, and afterwards, he'd returned to the cockpit, finding that Balor, Edea, and Slaw had all found themselves in the ship.

"Is she okay?" Balor asked, his concern showing.

"Yeah, she's fine." Orin said. He looked to Amara and Gunnar, thankful, knowing well that they had all played their part. "Thanks." he said, "Sorry, Amara. I assumed you were a bitch - and I'm probably right - but that doesn't mean you're not a ... good bitch?" he said, cracking a smile.

"She has done more than her fair share here, Orin." Balor commented. "More than you've seen." he said, paying a respect that he hadn't outright shown her before. It was a large compliment coming from him, one that would probably pass through the filter of resistance that she'd always shown, but one that was given to her nonetheless. "Cell or not - it's getting dark, and I don't believe we should drive through the night. It may be a good idea to take up Sinna's idea and rest - perhaps after we get ourselves to a more stable location." he said.

Slaw nodded. "I'll fire it up." he said, taking the cell from Amara and lugging it back over to its place near the engine. It slid into place, connected rather easily for all the trouble that they had had getting it up there. He returned to the cockpit promptly, collapsing into the Captain's chair and laying his hands over the controls. "I only have one bed, though."

Balor looked to Gunnar and Amara. "I'm sure that there'll be no issues sleeping tonight with everything we've gone through."

"A good bitch huh?" Amara replied to Orin, a smirk sneaking up on her face. "You could rephrase that so I don't sound like a dog but... It's a start." She chuckled, "Maybe you are more than just a blind squirt too. I've been training your sister. From the looks of things the viking here has been training you too, flex for me." She teased, "If you want to actually get somewhere with it you can join Sinna and I. I usually just beat her up but she's been getting better and better faster that way. I bet Gunnar babies you."

"I'm not against picking on the blind kid." Gunnar replied gruffly, "He hits back. Maybe not that hard and he misses a lot of the time but... he has heart." He said chuckling, leaning against one of the support beams as he looked to Balor speaking of sleep. "It's been a long... long day." He added, looking over to see that Sirius had situated himself up in the cockpit with Cheslaw. Edea had retired to the corner of the room and pulled the veil over her eyes lower in order to sleep. She had no words for the others, she just wanted to disappear for a little while and be alone. "I'll sleep in the backroom near the engines, last time I slept out here Sirius re-braided my beard."

"YOU LOVED IT!" They heard Sirius shout over the roar of the engines that were coming to life. "I WAS PICKING ALL THE BUGS AND GUTS OUT! YOU CAN THANK ME LATER WHEN WE REACH SOLID GROUND!"

"Let's all get some sleep. Night." Gunnar slugged Orin on the arm gently and briefly made eye contact with Amara before she offered him her usual grimace. "Night to you too, grumpy."

"Don't play nice with me Gunnar. It's 0 to 1 still, with a draw added in the mix... Get out of my sight."

With that, Gunnar retired to the back while Orin decided to sleep in the same room as his sister to keep an eye on her. Balor kept a watchful eye on Edea and the others as Cheslaw took the ship up and suspended it high above the clouds. It gave him a chance to sleep too as the ship itself would maintain altitude at a low, safe speed. It was safer than landing the ship as that left them open to attack, though together it would be one of the worst ideas to attack such a tight knit and powerful group. Those who were awake looked out the windows to see them passing through the cloud layer and were soon flying high above the world and its people.

It was a fleeting moment of peace after so much action wrapped up into one day. Most slept soundly but not for long, while there were those that snored loudly and peacefully a select few were terrorized by night terrors that plagued them for hours and hours. Whether it had been what they went through or what was secretly paining them it all came out that night, not leaving a soul on board without some bad experience... or an omen.

End of Chapter 10 - Out of Gas

One by one, everyone awoke from their slumber on-board Cheslaw's airship. Whether they stirred awake or jolted awake depended on the person, everyone seemingly waking up around the same time as the ship began to experience some minor turbulence. There was no telling how far north they had flown but it had been enough to where the massive forest beneath them had been long left behind them. Sirius was the first to awake, jumping up from his place on the floor of the cockpit and turned around to everyone.

"RISE AND SHINE!" He called out, seeing that most of them had been awakening on their own anyways. "IT'S TIME FOR A FANTASTIC DAY EVERYBODY!" Sirius tilted his head, "I'm gonna fucking make us all some eggs." And with that, the strange rogue pranced his way past the sleeping forms of those in the other room and back into the kitchen he had grown accustomed to.

"It's... good to see someone in a good mood." Edea replied, rubbing her eyes as she began to rise up from her corner. She looked to Balor, "Good morning Balor."

In the other room, Gunnar was tossing and turning violently. The viking was gripping the blanket he had stolen from Cheslaw's room and was practically ripping it apart as he was tormented by terrible dreams. He had been tortured since the moment he had laid down, no longer feeling Nora's prescience but feeling a far more sinister one plaguing his thoughts and dreams. He had slept for hours but got no relief from the terrifying rest as he watched time and time again Nora dying in his arms, watching as his people were slaughtered without him. He watched time and time again as Dio betrayed him, misleading him to believe that his wife was still alive. That his people were still alive. It all ended with him seeing Necra's face, starring back at him violently shaking him awake. He roared in fear as he woke up, his eyes darting around the room as if something was about to happen.

When nothing did, the viking collapsed to the floor: defeated. It didn't feel like he had slept at all.

Sinna had awoken earlier than them all, partially due to the fact that she had slept much earlier, and partially due to passing an unconscious thought toward Gunnar's shouting. It hadn't been particularly loud with where they had been, however. Her last thoughts had been with defeating the beast, and quickly after finding a comfortable place to fall asleep on the ground. She had slept like a brick, and had awoken feeling particularly fresh, if a bit sore. Bounding from the bed, she tripped right over the sleeping form of Orin.

He awoke groggily, not having slept particularly well through bouts of worry for his sister and his own nightmares. While they weren't quite as bad as Gunnar's - lacking the complimenting visions of having his village burnt to the ground - he did see flashes of Necras, plagued with the vision of death itself. When Sinna had tripped over him, it was a welcome reprieve from the nightmares that had plagued him.

"Ow." he said. They had convened on the floor, both a little bit too tired to say much to each other. "...You okay?" he asked, thoughts of last night filtering in.

"I tripped over you, dumbass." Sinna said, with a laugh. "Yeah, I'm fine. Just tired. Come on." she said, climbing to her feet and pulling up Orin along with her. They had both stood, finding themselves tiredly filtering out of Slaw's room. They had awoken to the sounds of Sirius shouting, waking up those who had been quietly attempting to sleep off the rough situation they had all been through. The twins made their way toward the kitchen, more than a little eager to partake in breakfast.

"Hey, Sirius, isn't that a little offensive to Slaw?" Orin asked, fighting his ill mood away with a smirk. "You better make sure those are the right eggs." he chided.

"I don't even want to think about the logistics of that." Sinna said. She had poked her head into the kitchen, finding their plates neatly organized. "Thanks, Sirius!" she cried. She had taken a plate, placing it into Orin's hands - and then placing yet another into the crook of his arm for Gunnar. She had taken upon two as well, intending on giving her other to Balor. They played a small balancing act on the way to the cockpit. However, Orin's stop had been about halfway through as he had stopped at the engine room. With a cursory glance inside, it had been relatively easy to tell that something had been wrong. Gunnar had been slumped on the floor, looking particularly deadened himself. She leaned over, whispering something in Orin's ear.

"Okay." he said, departing from her in order to go to their respective servees. He approached Gunnar carefully, passing a 'glance' toward Dio as he had. He had kneeled along with him, Dio making him able to see the downtrodden Viking's form, and pushed the plate toward him. "Hey ... Sinna said you look like shit. Heard you all night. Might be worth it to go back to bed after you eat. I ... don't know if I can, but maybe I could take the nightmares away." he said, with a frown. "We're both kinda fucked in that department."

Sinna had left him, instead coming to the cockpit where Slaw had been drearily flying and Balor and Edea had been sleeping.

"Good morning, Sinna. Edea." Balor said. He had slept quietly as Edea had, choosing to also take residence in the cockpit. "Thank you, Sinna." he said, taking the plate from her hands. He handed it off to Edea, not feeling particularly hungry himself. "How are you doing, Sinna?" he asked, the same concern highlighting his features as last night.

"Slept good. Gunnar and Orin look rough, though..." she glanced toward Slaw. "Has he slept?"

"As far as I'm concerned, we flew through the night." Balor replied.

"Not hungry... Not tired either..." Gunnar replied like a zombie, refusing to look at Orin as he simply starred at the wall. While nightmares normally frightened others it only seemed to enrage Gunnar more than he already typically was. He wasn't afraid of the visions he seen: he was angry. More angry than he could even think to put into words as he tried to keep his cool upon awakening. He was ironically sleep deprived on top of all of it, not giving him the best state of mind when it came to the new day. "Eat." He ordered, pushing his plate back over to Orin while sounding more like Amara than himself.

They then sat in silence for an uncomfortable amount of time. So much so that if it wasn't for Dio residing within Gunnar he would have thought the viking had miraculously silently left the room. That wasn't the case however as Gunnar looked drearily straight ahead towards the wall that he hadn't taken his eyes off of. Even with his eyes open he remembered the terrors he had faced in the night, never before witnessing something as intense as he had last night.

"Something is... wrong..." He confessed, finally breaking the silence as Orin ate. "I have had night terrors but not... not that. It was too vivid. Too real. I haven't slept... And if I have those hours were taken away from me." Gunnar raised his hand weakly to his face and groaned as his tried to wipe the sleep out of his eyes. "You look like shit too." Gunnar sighed, "We're getting too use to that being our normal though." That was about all Orin was going to get out of Gunnar currently, the viking slumping back against the wall. He refused to close his eyes, not wanting to tempt the gods once more and enter the terror he had been subjected to time and time again the previous night.

"He probably hasn't slept a whole lot. These ships are capable of extended flight but..." Edea frowned, "He had to most likely wake up periodically to make sure we weren't crashing. It is why many ships require two pilots for times like this." She quietly nursed her food, not particularly hungry either but forcing herself to partake as to not be rude to Sirius. He came walking back out with a final plate of food for Amara who was the final person in the room without food, the same one who hadn't slept much due to Edea being in the room.

"Here you go beautiful. Eat up!" Sirius grinned underneath his mask, handing Amara the plate of food with a knife and fork dangling off the side. She knocked the utensils away and began to eat with her hands like a barbarian. "Ooooh...." Sirius exclaimed, "You're crazy. I love it!" He began to giggle, "I bet you could turn your fingers into knives and for-"

"Get back to the kitchen." Amara ordered, grumpy herself. Though that was unfortunately her normal especially with a Starseer around. "We need more meat. And these eggs are insensitive to Cheslaw." She grunted, "Make more of them, too."

"I just love being appreciated..." Sirius mused before sliding away, leaving the others to themselves.

"Bird brain." Amara called up to the cockpit. "You sleep any?"

"On the contrary, bird eggs - and birds - are a common staple food on the Floating Isles. As it happens, many animals have adapted to fly up there. Not that I enjoy them in particular, or partake in that culture." he said. "No ... I haven't slept. I'll do so when we land." he said, his voice a slight bit more monotonous than usual. "It's fine. I sleep less than you all, anyhow." The pilot looked to Amara temporarily, who had looked just as groggy as the rest of them.

"I appreciate you, Sirius!" Sinna said, assuring that she showed her thanks before the rogue dissappeared again. "I can't really account for why half of the people on this ship are here." she said, with a small chuckle. Then, she followed Amara, reaching up to poke at the woman's hair. "I think we're all bonding now that we see how crappy we all look when we wake up."

As the girl brought her food to the panel, placing it down on an empty slot and taking up a seat next to Cheslaw, the pilot looked for something to say.

"If it's to any credit - Amara - you look no different now than you normally do." he said, not realizing that he had given a particularly backhanded comment to the particularly rough-looking Amara. He looked back to the skies, appreciating the cold wind that had kept him awake and flying, though realizing that it had made the cockpit particularly cold. Appropriately so, Sinna had given off a shiver.

"They say not to chide the person who is preparing your food, Amara." Balor commented, standing to take Slaw's side as well. The pilot shifted uncomfortably. "If you would like to get food, Slaw, I can take the helm from here." he said. "I haven't much experience flying, but I have read plenty of books on the subject and studied anatomy maps of ships like this. Well ... not like this. Proper ones." he said.

"It drifts to the right if you're not holding it." Slaw said, standing from place, a little too eager to pawn off the duty of flying to Balor. The Lamia settled in his chair, a little too tall to be particularly comfortable in it, but that didn't matter much. Slaw took the food from the panel and staggered off toward the kitchen, a little hungrier than he would have liked to admit.

"Edea. I imagine you have travelled the lands as a Seer pretty well. Can you think of a place from here that's comparitively safer to take refuge in?"

"Something is wrong." Orin said. "You died. But you're ... living. Here. With us. You found out that your wife ... I know the story a little better than I should, but -" he sighed. "A lot of things are wrong with this fucked up situation. We're gonna feel off." he said. Then, he felt for the plate he had given Gunnar, who had so promptly pushed it back in his direction. He slid it back to him, showing a particular stubbornness himself. "I have food. You eat."

Crossing his arms, he began to stand. "It might feel better to join up with everyone else." he said.

"You sure know how to charm a lady." Amara replied to Cheslaw, smiling at how dry his 'compliment' had been. Ironically she didn't take offense to what he said, she took notice on how he interacted with others and how he wasn't quite as sharp witted or understanding as the other people on-board. "As for chiding Sirius... Well... Have you seen the guy? He laughs at anything you say. I don't think he has a bitter bone in his body. Don't tell me what to do Balor, I'm not one of the wonder twins here and even they don't need to listen to you. You have no right to tell me or anyone how to behave or what to do."

"He was not telling you what to do, just simply warning tha-"

"You shut the fuck up, Starslut. I don't want to fucking hear a god damn word out of your reptilian mouth." Amara barked back at Edea before she could even finish what she was saying. It was miraculous how quickly Amara could flip a switch and be insufferable, sooner or later it would be too much to deal with even with the skills she provided. Luckily she had gained Sinna's friendship or she would be that much more intolerable with her words. As Sirius brought her more food she slapped him on the ass before he walked away, "Good Fishy. 'Ppreciate it."

"You have no idea who you just spanked..." Sirius said grimly, his voice low as his terrifying mask bore down at Amara. He then began to erupt into hysterical laughter after a moment of silence, "You're welcome! I like your attitude. Give this crew a little bit of chaos with how you behave, love it!" Sirius disappeared to the other room while Amara laughed after what exactly just happened.

"See. I can play nice."

Gunnar silently ate, not answering what Orin had said just yet. He mulled over his words, thinking of what exactly to say to any of that. He had died, at this point now potentially even multiple times. He had no idea if he was cursed to live and die again and again until Necras had finally had enough use out of him. It was maddening, especially at the cost it came with it all. He hadn't volunteered for this, he hadn't jumped up at the opportunity to potentially be immortal. All he wanted to do was raise his boy and love his wife. Both of those things had been taken from him.

"We can go." Gunnar said, standing up after he ate just about all he was going to eat. "Can't say I'll be good for conversation today. I just want to be left alone but... I'll humor you."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back